Main Characters | Clover Kingdom (Black Bulls) | Diamond Kingdom | Eye of the Midnight Sun | Elf Tribe | Others
All spoilers in Grey's entry regarding their true appearance are unmarked. You Have Been Warned.
One of the nine squads of Magic Knights in the Clover Kingdom. The Black Bulls are infamous for their destructive behavior and trouble-making, and is regarded as the worst of the squads.
- Adaptational Muscles: With the exception of Yami, who is the most muscular character in the manga, all male Black Bulls are implied to have bodies that are slightly toned at best. In the anime, all of the male Black Bulls are quite muscular, which undercuts the manga's point about how Asta's training has made him almost freakishly muscular for his age.
- Almighty Janitor: All of them besides Yami (and possibly Gordon) are still lower-ranked Magic Knights. They all kick incredible amounts of ass regardless. All of the Black Bulls except Yami didn't even know the magic knights had ranks until Asta, Noelle, and Charmy got promoted by the Wizard King, despite all of them being on the combat level of Vice-Captains from other squads. This also applies internally to their squad. The highest official ranked member after Yami is Charmy, followed by Asta and Noelle. In reality, this just means they get paid more money than their squadmates since the three of them probably have the least authority in the already almost nonexistent Black Bull command structure outside of "Do what Yami says or die" that seems to be very loosely based on seniority as long as that person isn't named Finral.
- Badass Crew: All of the members seen in combat have been quite competent when it comes to fighting in stark contrast to their horrible reputation. They (usually) look out for each other's well-being as well, albeit in unusual ways.
- Blood Knight: All of them (with the possible exceptions of Noelle, Finral, and Gordon) can enjoy a good brawl and causing as much chaos as possible. Especially their excited reactions to the sheer amount of destruction they can cause with Henry's Humongous Mecha. Since they're up against the constantly serious Eye of the Midnight Sun, their antics get funny very quickly.
- Bunny-Ears Lawyer: They all are at the very least weirdos, but they are also among the best and most honorable Magic Knights that the Clover Kingdom has to offer. On a single year where Asta & Noelle are in the squad, they manage to jump from last to second place in the rankings once they are inspired to put more work into it.
- Dark Is Not Evil: They are associated with black and are composed at large by people who are badly seen by the society. Despite this, they're still heroes.
- Defeat Means Friendship: They have essentially ritualized this with their "baptism" initiation rite where rookies have to fight Magna in order to get their magic knight mantle. Usually, this ends with the others playing save-the-rookie, but Asta totally wins them all over by deflecting Magna's fireball back at him.
- Destructive Saviour: They frequently end up causing damage to towns and places they mean to protect or save. It's mainly why they're labeled with such a dreadful reputation among the Magic Knight squads. Luckily for the Black Bulls, not all of the people they protect seem to mind. It doesn't help that most of them actually enjoy causing destruction too much to stop doing it.
- Family of Choice: They're definitely a surrogate family given how many of them are orphans or otherwise estranged from their family:
- Vanessa straight up calls the Black Bulls her real family to her own mother because they're the ones who love and support her.
- Finral is fine with his blood family putting him down but will not tolerate insults to his squad.
- Noelle is far more sisterly with Vanessa than anyone in the House of Silva and it is implied her magic control issues were made worse by her real siblings' abuse.
- Gordon notes that, by the time of the Forest of Witches Arc, Gauche has come to care about Asta as much as he does Marie.
- From Nobody to Nightmare: The squad is first introduced as a joke among other Magic Knight squads. However, by the time of the Royal Knights Arc, they've become the second most-powerful Magic Knight squads in history.
- Hero with Bad Publicity: Although they're a Magic Knight Squad who go to great deals to save innocent lives, commoner or not, they have a bad reputation in the Clover Kingdom due to their collateral damage to places they're supposed to protect and rowdy behavior. Their reputation improves as they accomplish important deeds such as defeating powerful members of the Eye of the Midnight Sun and Diamond Kingdom, so much that they end up second place in the squad rankings.
- Idiot Hero: The closest any of them get to being intelligent is being a Genius Ditz. Even the canonically most intelligent one, Gauche, is too full of Insane Troll Logic and his sister complex to qualify as anything else. The good part is they're all aware of it and know how to make it work to their advantage.
- Inept Mage: They're full of these types, each of them inept in different ways. Asta can use magic only through his sword and cannot use magic in any other way. Noelle has incredible potential for magic, but her spells always veer in unexpected directions and more often than not hit her allies instead. Gauche is too obsessed with protecting his sister to be of any use in combat when she's not involved. Luck is too bloodthirsty and reckless to know how to use his magic for anything but combat or get along with anyone else. Averted with their captain, Yami, who is scary competent and likes recruiting misfits in hopes that they'll one day become as strong as he is.
- Ragtag Bunch of Misfits: The group has a tendency to give shelter to outcasts. You have two disgraced nobles (Noelle and Finral), a runaway princess (Vanessa), a former delinquent (Magna), a a blood thirsty guy only interested in violence (Luck), a former criminal obsessed with his sister (Gauche), the only one without magic in the world (Asta) and two complete weirdos (Grey and Gordon). Then there's a troll and known criminal (Zora) and their founding member is a shut-in who acts like a ghost and has to stay by himself all the time (Henry). Basically, it's a group that welcome people no other group would have wanted.Magna: We're the Black Bulls! We're a whole group of failures.
- Sanity Ball: Due to their weirdness and sometimes Skewed Priorities, at least one of the members need to hold one in the group.
- Spell My Name with an "S": Depending on the translation, they can be called the Black Bulls or the Black Sheep. The actual kanji translation is the former, though the latter works better as a Meaningful Name in regards to their nature as The Un-Favourite.
- Took a Level in Badass: Throughout the story, when fighting the Diamond Kingdom and Eye of the Midnight Sun and training for the Royal Knights Selection Exam, they become much stronger. As Yami puts it, they have to surpass their limits.
- True Companions: They all care about each other greatly and are a close-knit group due to them all being societal outcasts, accepting each other when no other group would. They encourage each other to do their best, such as when Noelle practices her magic control to get them to the Underwater Temple, and are willing to go to great lengths to help one another, as seen when Asta's arms are cursed and they all try to find a cure.
- The Un-Favourite: Among the Magic Knight squads, their reputation is by far the worst. The group's prestige is measured by the number of stars they receive from the king. They have negative thirty. When they end second in the rankings later in the manga, people think they threatened someone to get there.
- Underestimating Badassery: They get this a lot, especially Asta and Noelle, the former for his lack of magic and commoner origins and the latter for being the Chew Toy of a royal family, pushed away from the Silver Eagles because her family was ashamed of her. The Black Bulls are actually amazingly powerful, but their rowdy, quirky nature gets in the way of people noticing that.
- White Sheep: They actually show a stronger sense of camaraderie and are far more welcoming of newbies, especially those without noble background, than the other guilds. They also show a stronger sense of justice in protecting the peasants and innocents and lack the elitist mindset that most guilds have. It helps that there are basically no nobles among them, with Finral being kicked out of his family, Gauche's family's money stolen, and Noelle growing out of the noble mindset.
Voiced by: Junichi Suwabe (Japanese), Christopher Sabat, Stephen Fu (young, episode 34) (English)note
Debut: Chapter 2 (Manga), Episode 4 (Anime)
Magic Attribute: Dark
The Captain of the Black Bulls. A strange man with unusual methods of leadership.
Yami uses Dark Magic, which can cover his blade in darkness to launch black crescent-shaped blasts or suck magical attacks into a black hole.
- Authority Equals Asskicking: As a Magic Knight Captain, he is considered equal to a hundred normal mages, and is powerful enough to match the Big Bad in close combat when the latter overwhelmed Asta with ease.
- Amazon Chaser: "I prefer women who are strong" in comparison to those who just like it. Fortunately for him, strong women prefer him too.
- Because You Were Nice to Me: This is the reason for his loyalty to Julius, who taught him the Clover Kingdom's language and mentored him while he was a member of the Grey Deer, despite the xenophobia he faced as a foreigner.
- Big Damn Heroes: Just before Vetto attempts his Last Breath Bullet, Yami saunters in after cutting through the prison he was left in. After congratulating everyone for their hard work, and secretly musing about how their effort inspired him, he invents a new spell and subsequently one-shots their foe with it.
- Blood Knight: Yami loves a good fight.
- Blunt "Yes": Makes no effort to hide his suspicion toward Vangeance that he's really Licht.
- Brutal Honesty: He has no filter. If he thinks about something, he's going to say it.
- Casting a Shadow: His magic allows him to create waves of darkness to attack foes and block attacks.
- Clueless Chick Magnet: Either that or he has an Unwanted Harem as both Vanessa and Charlotte are in love with him.
- Combat Clairvoyance: Coming from the Land of the Rising Sun, he knows how to sense ki, allowing him to predict enemy attacks and movements. He teaches it to Asta.
- Dark and Troubled Past: Parodied. After his opponent gives a stereotypical Freudian Excuse speech about his life, Yami's own story basically amounts to: "I was born far away. I fell off the boat in a storm. I washed up in a foreign land. I beat the crap out of anyone who gave me a hard time and adjusted." From the tone of the story and considering that it's Yami talking, it's almost certainly meant as a "The Reason You Suck" Speech and essentially him saying, "Wah-wah, boo hoo. Hey crybaby, get off your cross and use it to build a bridge so you can move the hell on."
- Dark Is Not Evil: Called the "heretical Magic Knight" and wields Dark Magic in combat, but for all his rough exterior he is firmly on the side of the heroes.
- Death Glare: He is introduced with one. He gives one whenever he is annoyed, usually over something trivial, and is more than enough to make Asta freeze in his tracks.
- Department of Redundancy Department: Yami tells his troops to engage the leader of the Eye of the Midnight Sun, but tells them not to die in his own special way:Yami: I'll kill you if you die.
- Deus Exit Machina: Invoked in Chapter 60, when the Black Bulls attempt the Ocean Palace temple. The Water Priest excludes him from his challenges, and flat out tells him he's too powerful for them, and if he competes then the challenges won't be any fun. That said, it's subverted when the Eye of the Midnight Sun interrupts, elevates the threat level, and he's allowed to intervene.
- Dumb Muscle: He's not completely stupid, but he's not all there either. Trying to come up with his next move during his fight with Licht basically short circuits his brain, and he just decides to leave survival up to the him 5 minutes from now. Note that if Licht had succeeded in nuking them, he wouldn't have lived that long anyway.
- Disproportionate Retribution: Tends to dish this out no matter how minor the slight:Yami: [to Asta after he politely apologizes for bumping into Yami] You wanna die, boy?
- Dynamic Entry: Cuts through space to get out of the prison he was locked in before one-shotting Vetto as he attempts his Last Breath Bullet:Yami: What's good, bitches?
- Energy Absorption: His Dark Magic can absorb spells, especially from Light Magic, by forming small black holes or through dark spells.
- Fastball Special: He subjects Asta to one in order to save Noelle when her magic went out of control. He does this again on several occasions when he feels it's appropriate.
- A Father to His Men: He's oftentimes crude and hates being talked back to, but always has his group's best interests at heart. As a result, he commands their absolute loyalty and respect.
- Hidden Depths: While he can seem like an absolute asshole to most people, he really does care about the well-being of his squad and the other squads. Thus, he's pissed after the Big Bad admits that Fuegoleon was lured into a trap, causing Yami to respond, "I'm sure you did. Because there's no way in hell he'd lose to this wimpy ass attack of yours!"
- Hunk: Tall, muscular, manly, and attractive, for all his behavior.
- Hypocrite: Reprimands his team for destroying large sections of their base, while smashing the wall behind him in annoyance.
- I Was Just Passing Through: The reason Vanessa is in Black Bulls and not in her mother's cage? Yami was slammed into the room where her cage was and his body broke through the bars. Yami didn't care one way or the other if Vanessa joined him in escaping.
- Impossible Task: Can be quite demanding at times, as seen when he tells Asta to copy him after Yami spent several minutes deflecting dozens of beams of light from the Big Bad:Yami: Kid, you've been watching, right?Asta: [in awe] Yes, I have!Yami: Good, now you do the same.Asta: [sarcastic and in shock] Sure... Like hell, I can!!!
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Frequently insults his own squad and scares the crap out of them over menial things. He also looks out for their well-being in his own unusual ways and is the first adult to acknowledge Asta's aspirations and potential to become the Wizard King.
- Katanas Are Just Better: His katana is revealed to be his personal weapon in Chapter 47.
- Kid Hero All Grown-Up: It's implied on a number of occasions that Yami went on a series of his own adventures in the past, similar to what Asta's doing now.
- Magic Knight: Yami describes himself as a "magic swordsman", using swordsmanship in combination with his magic. He can cover his katana in Dark Magic, using it to launch crescent beams of darkness.
- Meaningful Name: His first name means darkness.
- The Nicknamer: For starters, he calls Jack "Oblong Man", Charlotte "Princess Tsun-Tsun", and Mereoleona "Sissyleon", much to their chagrin.
- Not So Different: His story is actually pretty similar to Asta's, being given hardship for being different (but because Yami was from a foreign land compared to Asta's disability) before attempting to claw their way to the top through sheer hard work and brute force. He's also not very intelligent, but remains effective due to how crazy and unpredictable he can be in battle.
- Odd Name Out: He's the only character whose name sounds Japanese and so is clearly a foreigner. This is made even more obvious when he says in his backstory that he's from the Land of the Rising Sun.
- Perma-Stubble: His goatee is a stubble.
- Red Baron: Destruction God.
- Rescue Romance: Both Vanessa and Charlotte fell for him after he rescued them from being trapped (Vanessa from her mother, Charlotte from her House's "curse").
- Smoking Is Cool: He can usually be seen with a cigarette in his mouth and is easily one of the most popular supporting characters.
- Standard Status Effects: Because Dark Magic is infamously slow to cast, Yami prefers using his sword, his wits and physical ability to stand his ground, with his magic as a Status Buff for his attacks rather than attack with it directly. It also acts as a Status Ailment, absorbing enemy attacks, being especially effective against Light Magic.
- Sword Beam: Can shoot beams made of darkness as massive crescent waves.
- Team Dad: A rather strange example, but when his true colors shine through, it really shows.
- Troll: The biggest in the series by a wide margin. It's easier to list the scenes where he isn't rubbing sarcasm in everyone's faces, scaring people for fun, or laughing like a hyena at someone's misfortune. He's even the only one willing to troll Mereoleona repeatedly despite not being strong enough to get away with it. For the record, Zora gave up after one try.
- Unsportsmanlike Gloating: After the Black Bulls win second place in the rankings, the first thing he does is rub the fact in his fellow captains' faces while laughing like a child.
- Wutai: Hails from such and so is considered a foreigner. That katana he uses is a special custom order because no one else in the Clover kingdom uses them.
Voiced by: Jun Fukuyama (Japanese), Brandon McInnis (English)note
Debut: Chapter 2 (Manga), Episode 4 (Anime)
Magic Attribute: Spatial
A casanova who was disowned from the high-ranking noble Vaude family that likes to hit on women whenever he has the chance to. Despite that, he is still one of the most level-headed and less explosive members of the Black Bulls, resulting in him having quite a bit of responsibility.
Uses Spatial Magic to create portals for transportation.
- Black Sheep: His family hated him for being too weak and reluctant to fight. They outright disowned him so that his younger and more powerful brother could become the heir instead.
- Bloodless Carnage: He bleeds, but considering all the big holes all over his body from Langris' attack, the amount of damage shown wasn't gory enough.
- Butt-Monkey: Yami uses him as a vehicle and he gets dragged into dangerous situations whether he likes or not.
- Cain and Abel: The Abel to Langris' Cain. He always tried to connect with his brother growing up and even now he wants to get along with him. Sadly, Langris doesn't reciprocate at all. Despite all the abuse (and attempted murder) Langris has thrown at him, Finral still cares about him more than anyone else.
- Can't Act Perverted Toward a Love Interest: He gets way too nervous and insecure to be flirty as usual around Finnes Calmreich in both flashbacks and present day.
- Casanova Wannabe: Stated in his introduction that his liking for women interferes with his work. He once goes on a triple date, with Asta and Luck tagging along, and he soon realizes how big of a mistake it was to bring the two along. It's heavily implied in his flashbacks that this behavior came about from realizing that his brother would become the head of his family and be forced to marry Finnes instead of being married to her himself despite their mutual attraction. Langris seems to be aware of Finnes's feelings for him, telling Finral before fighting him that she will be sad when Finral gets killed in their match.
- Combination Attack: With Vanessa and Asta. Vanessa uses her strings and Finral his portals to make Asta move faster and with more flexibility while making impossible for the opponent to hit them. He has another series of these with Yami and Jack against the elf possessing Langris' body.
- Cowardly Lion: He is brave and very useful in battle, but only once running is no longer an option.
- Dramatic Irony: Despite Finral holding bitter feelings towards noble society because of how hard he believes it rejected him, his brother getting all the praise, and his parents abusing him for not being good enough to be a noble, the other nobles actually loved him because his incredible social skills allowed him to make tons of friends and connections. In contrast, Langris was the one most of the nobles didn't approve of due to having No Social Skills and being a rude brat who never showed respect for his peers. Finral's father and stepmother were so obsessed with Langris' intelligence and attack magic that they were the only ones in the court totally blind to Lanrgris' awful public behavior, leading to them abusing and disowning a successor that would've been accepted by most of noble society, while promoting the bad behavior of their younger child. Of course, the only one who ever found out about this contradiction was Langris, which kept Finral in the dark while thinking he was worthless and helped Langris into his Start of Darkness.
- Expository Hairstyle Change: Before the Royal Knights tournament, he gets a new hairstyle, which causes the rest of the Black Bulls not to recognize him at first. And during his battle with Langris, he even says that he trained so hard that his hairstyle changed.
- Extreme Doormat: Played for laughs among the Black Bulls, but most definitely not with his family. Finral tends to let people walk all over him without doing anything about it because he truly believed he's worthless. While he starts to understand that his squadmates care about him and are just being idiots (and Yami is doing it on purpose to try and get him to grow a spine), his family's severe abuse completely destroyed his courage and self image to the point where all he does is run from his problems. It's implied this is why he strikes out with the ladies so much because he has no confidence to be genuine with them, on top of still loving Finnes, who he also didn't fight for at all because he was such a doormat. After spending a year of being encouraged by Asta's actions, he decides enough is enough and puts this trait to bed for good.
- Genre Savvy: He's aware of the Running Gag of people going in the Black Bulls' restroom always walking in on Yami taking a dump, so he tries to teleport Langris knowing that it was one of the few ways he could defeat him. Predictably, he hits Sekke instead. And of course, Yami is sitting there, pants down and ready to kill the poor bastard.
- Good Old Fisticuffs: His only way of attack, since his magic can't be used to Tele-Frag. Unfortunately, Finral is a Squishy Wizard, but against an even physically weaker opponent like Elf!Langris, it works just fine.
- Half the Man He Used to Be: The Witch Queen attempts to have Asta slash Finral in half, but Rouge stops the former from doing so.
- Important Haircut: While his hair turning green was unintentional, his new hairdo is what Finral sees as the symbol of being a new person by ditching his lazy, cowardly, and desperate womanizing ways to become a brave and powerful magic knight. When Magna and Luck don't buy it, he quickly proves them wrong with his actions.
- Lovable Coward: He's always trying to avoid fights as much as possible. His magic suits his personality well: it's not particularly good for fighting but it's great for running away. He nonetheless musters up the courage to support Asta with his magic against Vetto. By the time he enters the Royal Knights test, he's no longer a coward in any way even though he still can't use magic to attack directly.
- MayDecember Romance: With his First Love, Finnes, whom he would've married if he hadn't been disowned. She's almost 5 years older than him, which is almost unheard of in this kind of setting among nobles, with their first meeting happening when Finral was still a teenager and she was an adult. While Finnes was insecure about it, both of them wanted the Arranged Marriage to happen. But then Finral was kicked out of the family for Langris to be engaged to her instead.
- Meaningful Rename: He took on Roulacase as his surname after being disowned by the Vaude family.
- Mundane Utility: When he asked Yami why he allowed someone as weak as him to join the Black Bulls, Yami at first responds that he needed someone to help carry luggage.
- Only Sane Man: He is the only member of the Black Bulls who's not seen doing anything particularly crazy. He even bemoans how he's the only normal guy in his group when his triple date goes poorly.
- Perfectly Arranged Marriage: Had this with Finnes, who is supposed to marry the next head of House Vaude and was originally going to marry him before he was disowned in favor of his younger brother. It's heavily implied that they are both still attracted to each other.
- Personality Powers:
- Finral tries to run away from fights whenever possible and often lets people walk all over him. He uses his spatial magic to open portals to go to different locations, and cannot use it offensively.
- After his training he gains a spell "Fallen Angel's Wingbeat" that launches spatial matter at an enemy to forcibly teleport them, representing his new resolve to be more assertive.
- Power Dyes Your Hair: The severe training he subjected himself to permanently singed his hair with his own mana, turning half of it green.
- Space Master: He's able to create portals that can transport people from one place to another. It can also be used to save people from falling by aiming the portal in the horizontal direction. Explicitly referred to as Spatial Magic. Granted it's hard to keep a portal open, so he can't perform Teleport Spam.
- Tears of Blood: A comedic version. Once Fana snaps back to normal and reunites with Mars, her childhood friend, Finral cries streams of blood, bemoaning the fact that he's envious and miserable.
- Tele-Frag: Averted as Finral can't make his portals rip objects or bodies apart. It's actually his complete inability to Tele-Frag that started his problems with his family that eventually grew into the completely trashed relationship he has with them at the present. The consequences of this also meant he couldn't marry his First Love and led to him joining the Black Bulls.
- Thinking Up Portals: His Spatial Magic.
- Training from Hell: He made up his mind to be more like his squadmates some time after the events at the Witch's Forest. To do this, he gave up his slacking and flirting to subject himself to training offscreen that was so grueling that not only did he end up physically and magically stronger, but his hair was permanently damaged by overusing his mana to have green highlights.
- Wicked Stepmother: Langris' mother treated him like garbage, trying to push him as far away from her family as possible because Finral wasn't her child. Combined with his father's discrimination against those with "weak" magic common in high society in the Clover Kingdom, Finral's confidence was completely destroyed and he was disowned for being seen as worthless. Even when he saves their lives from a possessed Langris, his stepmother is an Ungrateful Bitch.
- You Are Better Than You Think You Are: He's been on the receiving side of these speeches multiple times from multiple people (such as Asta or Finnes) due to his awful self-esteem. Finnes even believes his positive qualities make him so much more impressive than Langris will ever be. It takes a while, but eventually it works.
Voiced by: Genki Muro (Japanese), Ian Sinclair (English)note
Debut: Chapter 3 (Manga), Episode 6 (Anime)
Magic Attribute: Flame
A loud mouthed Magic Knight with the looks of a delinquent. He was indeed a former delinquent that joined the Magic Knights once he was inspired by the mayor of his town and is a much nicer guy once one proves their worth.
Uses Flame Magic, primarily to throw several types of fireball with different effects. As a baseball fan, Magna can also conjure up flaming sport shoes or fiery baseball bats.
- Adaptational Expansion: In the anime, his backstory involves the mayor of Saussy, which is why Magna gets angrier with Heath than he does in the manga.
- Arrogant Kung-Fu Guy: Comes across as this at first. However, after Asta beats him, he sheds the arrogant facade and reveals himself to be a pretty amiable fellow from the sticks.
- Bash Brothers: Magna and Luck are best friends and coordinate well with each other in battle, able to combine Magna's flames with Luck's lightning in a combined spell when fighting Vetto.
- Batter Up!: He can form a baseball bat out of fire to knock his fireballs at enemies or as a melee weapon.
- Butt-Monkey: Chances are if someone is going to have their intelligence insulted, their appearance mocked, or their fundoshi set on fire for cheap laughs, it's going to be Magna.
- Combination Attack: Him and Luck combine their magic to cast Flame Lightning Explosive Cannon against Vetto. It doesn't do anything to him.
- Defeat Means Friendship: He warms up to Asta immediately after he sends his own magic back at him.
- Delinquent Hair: His hair is dyed light grey hair on the top and shaped into a mohawk. It adds to his "yankee" image.
- Elemental Weapon: He can create a baseball bat from flames.
- Explaining Your Power to the Enemy: He explains his new technique to Asta during their fight in the tournament. Zora calls him out of how stupid that was afterwards.
- Face of a Thug: His appearance is made complete with the clothes of a Japanese Delinquent, with Delinquent Hair to match. It initially terrifies Asta, who even calls him a gangster, but the two soon become quite friendly.
- Farm Boy: Like Asta, he also comes from the farmland outskirts. He became the town hero for being admitted into a Magic Knight squad and works to make his village proud.
- Fireballs: His flame magic centers around throwing small fireballs like baseballs to explode on enemies. After his training for the Royal Knights Selection Exam, he can use the Gargantuan Exploding Fireball spell, creating a fireball much larger than his usual baseball-sized ones that's also more destructive.
- The Gambling Addict: As usual for this, he's absolutely horrible at it. He's seen with nothing but his underwear and shades by the end of Chapter 10.
- Hair-Trigger Temper: He gets extremely angry easily and usually deals with it by picking fights with his fellow magic knights, as demonstrated when he attacked Luck because he ate his dessert.
- Having a Blast: Many of his fireballs are able to explode upon contact.
- Hot-Blooded: Loud-mouthed and passionate about whatever he does, whether it's throwing fireballs in battle or getting annoyed with his fellow Black Bulls.
- I Know Madden Kombat: Magna learns some new spells over the course of the series that gain a baseball motif to them, such as a dash move themed on stealing a base and a handheld fireball he throws like a pitcher. It's an odd use of this considering baseball doesn't exist in his world.
- Japanese Delinquents: Has this image to a T with the chain, dark shades, dyed mohawk, leather jacket and boots, and tough guy attitude. He's even known as "Weird Glasses Yankee".
- Meaningful Name: Magna sounds and is spelled similar to "magma", which fits with his flame powers. His surname is Swing, and he uses his flame magic to form bats made of fire and throw fireballs like pitches.
- Multicolored Hair: Overlapping with Delinquent Hair, he has dyed light grey hair on the top and black hair on the sides.
- Offscreen Moment of Awesome: After returning from a dungeon in a wasteland to find a cure for Asta's arms, he comes back with a changed personality and overflowing with power. He returns to normal soon after.
- Personality Powers: It's natural that the hot-headed, short-tempered Magna wields flame magic that includes explosive fireballs.
- Playing with Fire: His magic. He can shoot in small bursts, massive fireballs, or in a spray like a shotgun.
- The Rival: To Luck. They're best friends who like to push each other.
- Sir Swears-a-Lot: While none of the members of the Black Bulls are really exempt from this, he uses expletives more often than anyone else seen in the series thus far despite being a nice guy at heart.
- Spam Attack: Many of his spells involve throwing many fireballs at once to hit enemies from different angles. His Prison Death Scattershot and Explosive Buckshot spells are especially notable, as he throws a barrage of fireballs.
- Teeth-Clenched Teamwork: With Sol during the Royal Knights tournament, though they manage to cooperate more or less fine. Kirsch is another matter altogether.
- Took a Level in Badass: After his training for the Royal Knights Selection Exam, his fireballs become much more explosive and they can disappear when thrown, reappearing to hit enemies from a different angle.
- Weak, but Skilled: As Magna states himself, he doesn't have the large magical power that nobles have, and needs to use his magic wisely as a result. Thus, he uses aim, proper timing, and tricky pitches to make the most of his fireball spells.
Voiced by: Ayumu Murase (Japanese), Justin Briner (English)note
Debut: Chapter 3 (Manga), Episode 6 (Anime)
Magic Attribute: Lightning
An upbeat and friendly boy eager for strong opponents to fight with, and capable of immense feats during a battle.
Uses Lightning Magic, manipulating lightning most often by conjuring magical greaves and gauntlets.
- Attack! Attack! Attack!: His usual strategy, since he loves fighting so much.
- Awesomeness by Analysis: When he does stop to think of a plan, he is actually very competent when it comes to analyzing the opponent's magic, taking into account factors such as Asta's lack of a magical signature and the force behind Noelle's water attacks.
- Bash Brothers: Luck and Magna are best friends and coordinate well with each other in battle, able to combine Luck's lightning with Magna's flames in a combined spell when fighting Vetto.
- The Berserker: Due to being such a battle maniac, he fights relentlessly in battle, almost constantly trying to attack enemies during a fight. Unlike most, he does display some perception when he actually stops to strategize.
- Blood Knight: More than willing to leave his teammates in an extremely deadly dungeon with enemies abound if he thinks he'll get a good fight. It's the reason why Yami describes Luck as having a shitty personality despite his talent. He's this way because his mother only started showing him love after he defeated a noble.
- Combination Attack:
- Him and Magna combine their magic to cast Flame Lightning Explosive Cannon against Vetto. It doesn't do anything to him.
- His Lightning Arrow spell with the rest of Team K during the Royal Knights Selection Exam, creating a large arrow made of electricity that's fitted onto a railgun.
- Creepy Blue Eyes: He has blue eyes which seem like Innocent Blue Eyes when combined with his youthful appearance and demeanor, but are chilling when he's unhinged during a fight.
- Creepy Child: He was considered this when he was younger due to constantly smiling and being so bloodthirsty.
- Dynamic Entry: During the attack on the Eye of the Midnight Sun headquarters, Luck kicks through a wall, hitting a member about to torture an innocent woman.
- Elemental Hair: He has messy blonde hair and uses lightning magic.
- Elemental Weapon: He uses his lightning magic to create magical gauntlets and greaves to fight in close combat.
- Fast as Lightning: His lightning boots especially give him incredible speed.
- Freudian Excuse: He has a pathological need to defeat strong individuals because when he was young, his distant mother only began to give him affection after he defeated a noble. Because this helped her, she encouraged him to continue to fight and win. Even after she died, he still tries to find and defeat powerful enemies so she will still love him.
- Friendly Rivalry: In a monologue, he states realizing that Magna is his first friend. He even stops smiling for a second once he realizes that Magna hasn't been selected to be a Royal Knight.
- Identical Stranger: Looks very similar to the elf boy who was with the elf lady whom Rhya tried to go have a drink with. As it turns out, Luck's the host of the elf boy.
- Leeroy Jenkins: He rarely puts together a strategy any more complicated than attacking the opponent until they stop moving. However, that doesn't mean he can't stop to come up with something brilliant, his greatest victory so far is when he uses his brain, not his fists, to come up with a plan that defeats Reve by forcing her to summon Dorothy into her own dream world.
- Lightning Bruiser: His lightning magic can be quite destructive and by forming lightning boots he can attack enemies with electric blasts and his gauntlets at great speeds. He becomes faster and stronger after being temporarily turned into an elf.
- Meaningful Name:
- Luck suits his happy, upbeat demeanor whenever he's not bloodthirsty.
- Voltia as in a volt of electricity. His last name can also be rendered Boltia as in lightning bolt as explained below.
- Momma's Boy: A surprisingly dark example because his mom was distant from him in his youth, but she first started showing him affection after he defeated a noble. This event helped her and so she encouraged him to keep fighting, and keep winning, all for her selfish benefit. Now he has a pathological need to find and defeat strong opponents so that she will continue to love him. He finally grows out of it after his friends pull him back from being possessed, leaving what could either be his mental image of her or her spirit in the afterlife behind as she cries in happiness for him.
- Offscreen Moment of Awesome:
- Luck, while searching for the source of the dungeon's strong magical power - later revealed to be Lotus Whomalt and his underlings - defeats all of the foot soldiers, leaving only the veteran member to face him.
- After returning from a dungeon in a wasteland to find a cure for Asta's arms, he comes back with a changed personality and overflowing with power. He returns to normal soon after.
- Older Than They Look: He's actually 18 despite looking like a young boy.
- Perpetual Smiler: Always has a smile on his face, no matter what. He's even introduced as the "Smile Freak". He only stops once, after his friends save him from being possessed.
- Personality Powers: He uses lightning and is eccentric, unhinged, and actually quite intelligent and perceptive in battle.
- Psycho Electro: When Luck fights an opponent he really likes, he becomes more unhinged, going back to his issues with his controlling mother, as shown with his fight with the Hell Lotus veteran.
- The Rival: To Magna. They're best friends who like to push each other.
- Sensor Character: All the Magic Knights captains acknowledge Luck's skill in mana sensing, which Yama states is better than even nobles'. He can sense magic from miles away and even differentiate the magic attributes of group members close together. When entering a dungeon he shortly senses Lotus as a strong mage and goes off to fight him.
- Sharing a Body: Turns out to be sharing the body with the soul of a long dead elf named Rufel. It takes a battle involving Asta and his new sword to exorcise him out of Luck's body.
- Shock and Awe: His magic. He's able to shoot condensed bolts as an attack or equip them to his feet and hands to increase his speed dramatically and allow him to bounce off walls to come at his opponent from various angles.
- Slasher Smile: He displays an unnerving, wide grin whenever he gets excited during battle.
- Smarter Than You Look: He's the one who figures out how to use Sally's discovery of the weakness to Dorothy's dream magic and make a plan that summons the real Dorothy.
- Spell My Name with an "S": The official translation uses "Luck", but his name can easily be rendered as Rack, Lack or Lakk. It's not just his first name, either; his last name can be rendered either "Boltia" or "Voltia" with both working in regards to the Meaningful Name listed above.
- Stepford Smiler: His mother never showed affection to him unless he won a fight, so he has an obsession with winning even after her death, leaving him an empty shell with nothing but a drive to win until Asta gets through to him.
- Took a Level in Badass: Like Yuno, being temporarily turned into an elf permanently improved his magical power, his magic control, senses, mana pool, and body.
Voiced by: Satoshi Hino, Risa Kageyama (young) (Japanese), Dave Trosko (English)note
Debut: Chapter 3 (Manga), Episode 6 (Anime)
Magic Attribute: Mirror
A man obsessed with his little sister and whose primary objective is to dedicate himself to her. Doubles as a violent, vulgar ex-criminal who has a very hard time working with his fellow knights.
Uses Mirror Magic, being capable of firing lasers by reflecting light, and duplicating various objects (most often himself).
- Alternate Universe: One of the aspects of his Mirror Magic is that he's able to bring alternate versions of himself (who are extremely close to him in personality) to assist him in combat, effectively doubling his combat power.
- Attack Reflector: His mirrors can do this, reflecting his own light lasers to hit enemies from different angles and even allies' attacks in Combination Attacks. His Full Reflection spell creates a giant mirror that reflects Licht's light spell back at him.
- Big Brother Instinct: Deconstructed. He's fiercely protective of his younger sister Marie, to the point where he tries to kill a sleeping Asta because of her Precocious Crush on him. He prioritizes saving her over everyone else so much that he leaves Asta, Sister Theresa, and the other children after Baro is transformed into a monster. Marie punches him, saying that she hates when he's like this and that she likes him as a Magic Knight who protects others. This causes him to go back to help them.
- Big Brother Worship: Inverted, as Gauche is a siscon of the highest caliber. He is constantly staring at pictures of his little sister and always refers to her as an angel. It is implied that he does everything for her as he tells Asta he can spend all the money he wants for her.
- Doppelgänger: He's able to call forth a mirror world duplicate of himself to assist him in battle. Using his mirror eye he can create multiple duplicates of an individual that have the original's abilities.
- Freudian Excuse:
- His rich parents were killed by a friend of the family for their estate, who then promptly kicked the young Gauche and Marie out on the streets. This led Gauche to a life of crime to provide for Marie and a belief that people only look out for themselves and he should do the same.
- It's implied that his insane devotion to Marie is as fanatical as it is because some advice Yami offered him to convince him to join the Black Bulls was somewhat misinterpreted by Gauche and the actual message was skewed as a result.
- Fricking Laser Beams: The main application of his magic in which he blasts holes in his opponents with powerful beams, but they're still slow enough that Asta is able to deflect them after being jolted out of bed.
- Identical Stranger: He bears an uncanny resemblance to a long-deceased member of the Elf tribe - and a companion of Licht, Raia and Vetto - seen in Chapter 134. This similarity gains significance when back in Chapter 51, Licht was not only shown reacting strongly upon encountering Gauche, but even stated that he "could not bear to hurt him", the reason for which apparently is one that Gauche would "someday understand." Sally even mentions in Chapter 139 that she and the others have been ordered not to kill him, so Licht definitely has an interest in keeping him alive. Turns out he was the host of said elf.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Deep, deep down. He's overall a jerk, but he'll make an exception for those who make his sister happy. He also went back to save Asta, Sister Theresa, and the other children at Marie's urging.
- Justified Criminal: He was sent to prison because he was stealing food and money to provide for himself and his sister Marie after their noble parents were killed and their family's money was stolen.
- Magic Mirror: The basis of his magic, in which he uses a mirror to reflect light into powerful beams to use against his foes, and to access Mirror Universes to bring alternate versions of himself to help him in combat. He has another one hidden under his Peek-a-Bangs that can clone one person dozens of times in an instant.
- Meaningful Name: "Gauche" means awkward or left in French. He's a socially awkward jerk with a sister complex. He also has a mirror where his left eye would be that can instantaneously make many clones of a person.
- Me's a Crowd:
- With his mirror magic he can summon an alternate version of himself in combat.
- Using the hidden mirror where is left eye would be he can manifest many copies of a targeted individual. He creates many copies of Asta to defeat a transformed Baro.
- Morality Chain: His little sister, Marie, whom he raised after his rich parents died in suspicious accident. Without her, he would likely still be even more of a self-serving thug.
- Murder the Hypotenuse: Takes My Sister Is Off-Limits! to the extreme, where he tries to murder Asta in his sleep, all because his sister expressed her desire to marry him out of childish admiration.
- My Sister Is Off-Limits!: Gauche is creepily obsessed with his sister, to the point where he tries to kill Asta in his sleep because Marie has a Precocious Crush on him.
- Nosebleed: Constantly, as a joke about his sister complex. Gordon later reveals it happens whenever he thinks about anyone he cares about including Asta and the other Black Bulls, so whether it's him being a total pervert, just having high blood pressure, or Bizarre Alien Biology is anyone's guess.
- Only in It for the Money: He became a Magic Knight to provide for his beloved sister Marie. During a visit, he buys out an entire toy shop to give her presents. He later does care about the Black Bulls, however, as seen when they exorcise Droit from his body.
- Peek-a-Bangs: Sports a short one that covers his left eye. It covers a special magic mirror that has replaced it, which he then uses, albeit reluctantly, to clone Asta in order to beat a sludge monster.
- Purple Is Powerful: He wears a purple shirt and purple is the color of his mirror magic. He's quite a powerful mage and a former nobleman who has a fairly large amount of magical power.
- Retired Outlaw: Retired in the loosest meaning of the word - given that he is still as vulgar, violent, and unpleasant even after being arrested - and only stays out of prison thanks to his status as a Magic Knight.
- Riches to Rags: Was born the son of a noble family, but after his parents died, his wealth was stolen and he and his sister was forced onto the streets.
- Sharing a Body: Turns out to be sharing the body with the soul of a long dead elf.
- Yandere: When Finral stated that Gauche only cares about his sister, he was definitely not joking. The man will ignore injured children, abandon his comrades, and kill defeated opponents against said sisters wishes, all in a rescue mission for said sister and her friends. He later becomes like this towards the rest of the Black Bulls, but he'd never admit it out loud. Gordon sees right through him.
Voiced by: Nana Mizuki (Japanese), Lydia Mackay, Hayden Daviau (young) (English)note
Debut: Chapter 3 (Manga), Episode 6 (Anime)
Magic Attribute: Thread
Vanessa is a Magic Knight that loves drinking and has a penchant for hitting on and seducing the male members of the guild. Aside from that, she is a skilled mage and a cool and friendly woman who likes to help newcomers.
She uses Thread Magic, a magic able to manipulate threads to make clothes or objects, including fate itself.
- Action Girl: She's a capable fighter, using magical threads to trap enemies and turn them into her puppets.
- The Alcoholic: She loves her alcoholic drinks and is often drunk at the Black Bulls' base. She's known as "Drunken Frenzy Witch" for a reason.
- All Witches Have Cats: After her "red thread of fate" power manifests itself, she's often accompanied by her cat familiar, Rouge.
- Barefoot Captives: A Flashback shows her in the Witch Queen's bird cage without shoes. After all, she wouldn't need them if she never goes outside. They also make her look more vulnerable.
- Betty and Veronica: The Betty to Yami's Archie and Charlotte's Veronica as both are in love with Yami. They instantly form a rivalry when they meet for the first time at the Star Festival.
- Big Sister Instinct: She's regarded as a sister figure by the younger members of the Black Bulls and is fiercely protective of them, especially Noelle and Asta. When the Witch Queen tries to use Asta in order to kill Noelle, Vanessa desperately activates her "red thread of fate" to rescue them.
- Calling the Old Woman Out: When the Witch Queen tries to kill her friends by the time of Chapter 99, Vanessa point blank tells her mother that she doesn't consider her family.
- Combination Attack: With Finral and Asta. Vanessa uses her strings and Finral his portals to make Asta move faster and with more flexibility while making impossible for the opponent to hit them.
- Conditional Powers: Vanessa doesn't have complete control of Rouge's actions and its powers only reset time in defensive situations:
- Rouge uses a large amount of mana automatically when it detects that a Black Bull is about to be hit with an attack and activates the time rewind (excluding some non-lethal self inflicted injuries). This can become a problem if Rouge blocks too many non-critical attacks due to the high cost and Vanessa's poor to average mana pool (under normal circumstances 3 or 4 activations is pushing her limit), but this weakness can be mitigated by Charmy's powers.
- Rouge can't be used to attack at all and is incapable of causing harm to others. It will only stop their attacks or diffuse their magic.
- Rouge has pathetic range and requires intense focus from Vanessa to work on anyone who isn't a Black Bull. If the person she's trying to protect isn't a Black Bull or right next to her, Rouge won't activate. It can protect Black Bulls at long range and only requires minimal focus from Vanessa. It's implied that to even make it work this way without being a Black Bull, Vanessa has to stand close enough to someone to trick Rouge into interpreting attacks are meant to hit her.
- Rouge won't activate against spells or movements that aren't explicitly harmful, even if they lead to extreme danger. A possessed Dorthy nearly kills half of the Black Bulls and Sally because Rouge can't stop her from taking them to her dream world, where she plans to barrage them with attacks until Vanessa runs out of mana and room in her stomach for Charmy's food.
- Conflicting Loyalty: In the Forest of Witches Arc, Vanessa has to choose between staying with her mother so she can decide her fate or rescuing her friends so she can use the Thread Magic to form the Red Thread of Fate. She picks the latter.
- Cool Big Sis: To the younger members of the group as she's very helpful and protective of them.
- Dark and Troubled Past: She spent her early life imprisoned by the Witch Queen, who knew she had the potential to control destiny and wanted to steal that power from her as soon as it manifested. She escaped only because a young Yami accidentally broke her cage open during one of his early adventures. This life of enforced deprivation may explain some of her later behavior.
- Deal with the Devil: Subverted with her deal with the Witch Queen in the Forest of Witches Arc. In her search to heal Asta's arms, Vanessa bargains with the Queen to heal Asta in exchange for her freedom. Despite tricking Asta into nearly killing Vanessa's friends, Rouge defeating the Queen makes the latter keep her end of the deal for good and heal everyone as a result. Not only that, but the Queen allows Vanessa to keep her freedom.
- Defector from Decadence: Although she's one of the Witch Queen's daughters by birth, she sides with the Black Bulls as they are her true family.
- Did You Just Flip Off Cthulhu?: Vanessa does this to the Witch Queen as she uses Blood Control on Asta to test out his new powers and kill her friends.
- Did You Just Punch Out Cthulhu?: She uses the Red Thread of Fate to utterly defeat the Witch Queen, even when the latter tried using Blood Control on her as a last resort.
- Did You Just Scam Cthulhu?: She attempts to have the Witch Queen teach her how to dispel the curse on Asta in exchange for her freedom when she arrives at the Forest of Witches. It backfires on her, because the Witch Queen actually predicted her return to the forest.
- Good Bad Girl: Vanessa is a total sweetie, but she loves to drink, party and it's implied she's not averse to male advances either.
- Hard-Drinking Party Girl: She's often seen around a bottle of booze, whilst making her interest in men very clear. She also frequently complains of hangovers and begins puking within panels of her introduction. She's even referred to by the townsfolk as the "Drinker Witch".
- Heroic Sacrifice: Subverted; she attempts to offer herself as a slave to the Witch Queen so that she'll heal Asta's wounds. Except that she fully intends for Asta to help her escape later, which the Witch Queen understandably does not approve of.
- Hot Witch: A given due to her appearance, nickname, and being a Magic Knight. There's also the fact she's from the Forest of Witches.
- Lady in Red: Wears maroon (red-purple), whether it be her underwear or normal yet revealing witch wear. She's the resident Ms. Fanservice of the series who catches the attention of many men at the Star Festival.
- Like Mother Unlike Daughter: Vanessa's the complete opposite of her mother in every way. While the Queen eventually realizes she can't predict her fate, Vanessa possesses magic that can change her own fate. Her mother's abusive behavior directly contracts with the Black Bulls' friendly dispositions.
- Mama Bear: She loves the Black Bulls so much she considers them her family, so hurting a younger member of the team will immediately set her off.
- Meaningful Name: Enoteca means "wine repository" in Italian, which is fitting for a Hard-Drinking Party Girl like her.
- Ms. Fanservice: She debuts wearing nothing but her Magic Knight cloak and underwear to show off her assets. She then proceeds to flirt with Asta as soon as he manages to introduce himself. Her normal wear isn't much better, being a witch outfit that exposes the upper half of her breasts and is cut down the middle to reveal her navel.
- Mundane Made Awesome: Her power? Thread Magic. She's not only a capable fighter with it, she can craft it to the point she can change fate.
- Naughty Nuns: In the anime-only cosplay contest, Vanessa dresses as a nun. Surprisingly for her, it's a very reserved and realistic nun outfit, but given it's Vanessa, it goes into this by default.
- Nice Hat: Her outfit usually includes a witch's hat.
- People Puppets: She fights using mana-infused threads that she can use to trap people or to make them her puppets.
- Rose-Haired Sweetie: She has long, wavy pink hair and is a fun-loving and kind young woman who acts as a Cool Big Sis to the younger members of the Black Bulls.
- Screw Destiny: This is a lesson she learned from Yami. He tells her that she can't let other people control her fate when they first meet in the Forest of Witches. This actually becomes a magic of hers when she's desperately praying to save her friends from her cruel, uncaring, and ungrateful mother.
- Shipper on Deck: After Mars breaks Fana's brainwashing, Vanessa giggles at their sweet reunion, proclaiming that the flustered boy and shy girl are adorable.
- Story-Breaker Power: Her Red Thread of Fate spell is insanely broken, able to alter fate itself to the best outcome for her. It is limited by its high mana use, lack of offensive capabilities, Rouge's range, and Vanessa's focus to work on anyone who isn't a Black Bull, however.
- Winds of Destiny, Change: Rouge, Vanessa's cat familiar formed out of "the red thread of fate", can change the fate of anyone it touches in her favor. Certain death attacks miss, strike the wrong area, or backfire as best suits Vanessa's mindset. She effectively rewrites fate to what's most optimal for her.
- Youre Not My Mother: Because of the abuse she suffered from the Witch Queen even after she returned to the Forest, Vanessa flat-out tells her that she isn't her family before "the red thread of fate" manifests itself.
Voiced by: Kiyono Yasuno (Japanese), Sarah Wiedenheft (English)note
Debut: Chapter 3 (Manga), Episode 6 (Anime)
A quirky and friendly girl with a love for eating nearly obscene amounts of food like it's nothing. Usually harmless, keeping her from eating or stealing/destroying her food causes her to go absolutely ballistic.
Uses Cotton Magic, a type of magic that allows her to create cotton which can form fluffy sheeps.
- Ability Mixing: After manifesting her dwarf heritage, half her grimoire turns black, letting her use both Cotton Magic and Food Magic.
- Action Girl: She has her moments when she's serious, creating a giant sheep to pummel enemies. After expressing her dwarf heritage, she eats Lira's magic and punches him with a magically reinforced blow.
- Animal Motifs: Her magic lets her create sheeps from cotton, and she's usually peaceful and soft-mannered. However, like a ram, she has an aggressive side. When she awakens her Dwarven heritage, she switches to wolves, which represent her dangerousness and large appetite.
- Badass Adorable: She's a young woman with a love for food who looks like a little girl. In spite of this, when she's angered or serious enough she can create a gigantic ram that pummels enemies to defeat.
- Berserk Button: Don't try to attack her while she's enjoying her food.
- Beware the Silly Ones: She's definitely one of the zaniest characters in the city, downing the equivalent of two full-course meals while everyone else is fighting for their lives. When push comes to shove, however, she is still an officially recognized Magic Knight and a surprisingly dangerous one at that.
- Big Eater: Introduced as the "Voracious Eater", she's first seen finishing several plates worth of food, before using magic to create a sheep that cooks even more food. She's almost always seen eating, and tends to only think about eating more food.
- Boring, but Practical: Her food heals and restores mana near instantly. Not too exciting, but pair it with the normally limited attacks the Black Bulls have and it gets crazy really fast.
- Clingy Jealous Girl: After falling for Yuno, she develops a rivalry with Sylph for his affections, trying to swat her and even eat her.
- Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass:
- She's a young woman with the size and appearance of a child, comedically obsessed with food and eating, to the point where she'll neglect everything else in order to focus on sating her appetite, which seems largely endless. On top of that, her magic creates sheep. However, if you get on her bad side, she becomes one of the most dangerous characters, capable of one-shotting powerful mages with ludicrous ease.
- When she gets truly serious, she's capable of using her magic to prepare food that can replenish people's magic, including her own. Her magic food also near instantly restores mana, and she can use this power on herself for infinite food. Considering most of the Black Bulls have low mana pools but insane abilities (not to mention how often mana expenditure becomes a problem for other characters too) this is bar none one of the strongest spells. It becomes a complete Story-Breaker Power when combined with Vanessa's fate manipulation and Henry's mana drain field plus Recombination Magic.
- Manifesting her Dwarven heritage allows her to use her second magic which is capable of eating magic and adding it to her own. This makes her the perfect counter to Lira since he fights entirely with magical constructs — she literally eats everything he throws at her.
- Extreme Omnivore: She's eaten parasitic mushrooms and tried to eat Sylph when competing for Yuno's attention. This is weaponized with her Food Magic, in which she uses a giant hungry wolf to eat magic.
- A ram she forms using Strike of the Sleeping Sheep is first seen eating Catherine's ash magic. When it's revealed that she's half-dwarf, she fully manifests her food magic, which sheds the skin of her sheep to reveal a hungry wolf that eats magic.
- Charmy can restore mana to others using food made by her sheep, but she gets mana back from anything she eats whether her sheep made it or not. This is because her second magic is literally "eating magic" that lets her transform anything she eats into magical power. On top of this, it's established early on that no commoner should have anything close to Charmy's magical power (which is consistent with the other commoner Black Bulls, despite how skilled they are). Her unnatural power is revealed to come from her dwarf heritage.
- Even when not in chibi mode, she's still quite short, below even her younger squadmates when at full size. Dwarves are often depicted as quite small and short.
- Half-Human Hybrid: She is half Dwarf. Amusingly, she had no idea and does not even know what Dwarves are. Her mixed heritage has the benefit of granting her two magics.
- Heart Is an Awesome Power: Her magic lets her produce wool. Although it may seem relatively harmless, her magic is very versatile. She can use cotton to soften landings or bind enemies by forming ropes, and form sheep that serve different purposes. She can create a giant ram that pummels enemies and sheep cooks that make food which replenishes mana, which is highly useful in a setting where sufficient mana reserves are needed to cast spells. Unlike everyone else, Charmy can get mana from anything she eats, not just what her sheep make. It's because the other element she possesses is hunger.
- Hybrid Power: Due to being dwarf-human hybrid, she can use two different kinds of magic Cotton Magic and Food Magic.
- Hyperactive Metabolism: Eating instantly restores mana for her, and her sheep can make special food that does this for everyone else. She's also never full because of it, and eats non-stop. She can also instantly transition magic she eats into her own. When Charmy's body grows when her wolf sheds its sheep's clothing, she's constantly starving because she can't eat enough to meet her body's needs.
- Improbable Weapon User: Her particular magic is Cotton Magic, allowing her to manipulate wool and spontaneously create sheep to do menial things for her, which usually involves preparing food. However, it's just as lethal as any other magic, even one-shotting Catherine, whom Yuno was fighting after she managed to piss Charmy off.
- Let's Get Dangerous!: When she gets serious, she becomes taller and her face is more detailed. Even moreso when she expresses her dwarf powers. And in these moments, she's strong enough to deliver a Curb-Stomp Battle to a elf possessed captain, something Yami had trouble doing.
- Magic Eater: Her second magic "Food Magic" allows her to summon a gigantic wolf that eats magic and adds it to her own.
- Magic Enhancement: After eating Lira's magical creations she can combine their mana with her own to unleash powerful, reinforced punches.
- Meaningful Name: Charmy is similar to "charming", and she's a cute, friendly young woman who looks like a little girl.
- Megaton Punch: Her main attack spell is Strike of the Sleeping Sheep, forming a giant ram that can do this multiple times.
- Mundane Utility: She mostly uses her Cotton Magic to create sheep that cook for her. However, it's shown to be a highly useful spell later on when it's revealed that they can make food that restores the magic power.
- O.O.C. Is Serious Business: Parodied. After the tournament, Charmy says that she is so stunned by Yuno's coolness that she can now only eat only one portion of food, which is still a lot of food.
- Older Than They Look: She is actually 19, but looks younger than Asta and Noelle even when she gets serious. She looks more like her age when being put on the brink of death awakens her Dwarven heritage. This is lampshaded by Sylph:Sylph: Sexy?! You're built like a grade-schooler, besides your giant forehead!
- One-Hit KO: Her sheep's Megaton Punch has been capable of doing this twice now.
- One-Track-Minded Hunger: She loves eating and always wants food. She enjoys a meal by the royal chefs when the kingdom is under a zombie attack and uses her magic to cook food she catches in the Underwater Temple despite needing to defeat enemies for her squad.
- Personality Powers:
- She loves eating and is constantly doing so, thanks to her magic which creates sheep chef to cook for her whenever she wants.
- Fitting with her large appetite, her Food Magic has a wolf eat enemies' magic to add to her own mana supply.
- Rescue Romance: Parodied. She falls in love with Yuno after he "saves" her food.
- Skewed Priorities: So, the kingdom you've sworn to protect is under attack by zombies and a witch who happens to be draining the life out of people to maintain her youth. Sounds like a perfectly good time to be enjoying a full course meal.
- Super-Deformed: Her default state. She becomes more detailed when she gets serious.
- Supreme Chef: Her Sheep Cook: Master Chef spell creates a sheep cook who cooks food that restores mana.
- Tastes Like Friendship: Is always offering food to people in her group.
- This Is Gonna Suck: After teleporting with Yuno, she arrives to find Asta and Mimosa fighting Rill's creations. She immediately believes she's arrived in hell.
- Tomato in the Mirror: Judging by the Big "WHAT?!" reaction, Charmy was just as clueless about her Dwarven heritage as everyone else.
- A Wolf in Sheep's Clothing: Almost literally. When she awakens her Dwarven heritage, the giant sheep she normally creates sheds its skin to reveal a gigantic hungry wolf.
Voiced by: Kenichirou Matsuda (Japanese), Mike McFarland (English)note
Debut: Chapter 2 (Manga), Episode 4 (Anime)
Magic Attribute: Poison
An odd man who wears all black and constantly mumbles to himself. Despite his creepy appearance and mannerisms, he's actually a very friendly person.
He uses Poison Magic to form poisonous masses which have the additional effects of hexes.
- Adaptation Expansion: The anime shows his personality off a lot more, and even shows what happens to him while the rest of the Black Bulls go off to the Underwater Temple.
- Bad Powers, Good People: Uses poison that can melt the flesh off an enemy's bones, but is a genuinely nice person who doesn't like to hurt anyone.
- Creepy Good: Uses Poison Magic, and looks like a goth, but he's actually a super nice guy and aligned with the forces of good.
- Crippling Overspecialization: His magic is only good for killing and is just as dangerous to everyone as it is the opponent. He has no other applications for it, which leads to him being left behind a lot. Grey's transformation magic bypasses this, letting him use it for almost anything the two of them want to do.
- Curse: He uses Hex Magic to add effects to his spells that are harmful to enemies.
- Dark and Troubled Past: Grew up in a household where magic was everything. He wasn't allowed to have any friends, leaving him incredibly lonely. and when his magic turned out to be poison magic, he was promptly thrown out of the family, leaving him with nothing until he met Yami.
- Dark Is Not Evil: He wears a black makeup and dark grey outfit and uses Poison Magic with hexes. Nevertheless, he's one of the nicest members of the Black Bulls.
- Eerie Pale-Skinned Brunette: He has pale skin and short black hair. Combined with his heavy black eyeshadow and lipstick, and red eyes, it contributes to his creepy appearance.
- Gratuitous German: Most of his spells are in German:
- "Verbotenes Obst" means "forbidden fruit".
- "Violett Schirm" is "purple umbrella".
- "Aufwachen Dachs" is German for "wake up badger".
- I Just Want to Have Friends: Gets upset at the fact that he's often left out of the missions that the other members go on, staying in the base when they head to the Underwater Temple. Gordon is actually a really sweet guy who wants to befriend everyone he meets.
- Named After Somebody Famous: His last name comes from Henry Cornelius Agrippa, a German occultist.
- Nice Guy: He might actually be the nicest person in the cast and just a swell person. Provided you get past his creepy looks and mannerisms.
- No Celebrities Were Harmed: Bears more than a passing resemblance to Marilyn Manson.
- Poisonous Person: He can generate liquid or gaseous masses of poison that can melt off flesh. His poison magic is also effective against Plant Magic.
- The Quiet One: He doesn't speak up often. When he does, he speaks incredibly softly, so it's often difficult to understand him.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: Subverted. He has red eyes, which along with his mumbling, poison magic, and unnaturally pale skin and black hair contribute to his creepy image. Although his magic is very dangerous, he's actually one of the kindest characters in the series.
- Slasher Smile: Hilariously, his regular smile resembles this and makes him look like he wants to murder someone.
- The Unintelligible: It's one of the reasons people find him creepy as he's always mumbling. It makes him look like he is always casting curses (though his poison magic can't actually do that).
Voiced by: Masayuki Akasaka (Transformed), Minami Takahashi (True Form) (Japanese), Jarrod Greene (Transformed), Megan Shipman (True Form) (English)note
Debut: Chapter 3 (Manga), Episode 6 (Anime)
Magic Attribute: Transformation
Seemingly a huge man whose true appearance is concealed. Extremely shy, there's more to Grey than what appears to be, however.
A master of Transformation Magic, able to shapeshift into anyone and transform other objects as well as transform the magic of others into any kind of magic desired.
- Bedsheet Ghost: In the color pages of Chapter 84, her costume is a bedsheet ghost, which is taken off by Vanessa.
- The Big Guy: When transformed, she towers over her fellow members to the point that her face can't be shown as its covered in shadow. She shrinks down to the size of anyone she's imitating when she transforms.
- Character Development: Grey tries to get used to being in her true form after the rest of the Black Bulls give her so much support. While Grey is still embarrassed, it would be wrong to use a disguise all the time after the rest of them have so much trust for her.
- Combination Attack: Tons of them with Gordon due to his poison magic creating large masses of deadly smoke, which Grey can transform into other more useful (or less deadly to their own allies) objects.
- Early-Bird Cameo: Her true form is seen in episode 11. She runs past Asta while blurred in a background shot and blushing, then quickly ducks inside of a shop door before he notices her.
- Foreshadowing: Gauche guesses that because Grey can make other objects into illusions, her magic isn't actually the same as what is commonly known as transformation magic, and that if she experimented with it, she would figure out what the true purpose actually is. A hundred chapters later, Grey reveals that it actually lets her alter magic itself, creating illusions is only one aspect of it. The real potential of it is that she can turn other people's magic into any other kind of magic she desires, giving her a roundabout way to have every single magic attribute at once.
- Luminescent Blush: Always blushing out of embarrassment when in her true form.
- No Name Given: "Grey" is only an alias, as said in her introduction.
- Older Than They Look: Would you believe she's 24?
- Personality Powers: It's only fitting that a girl who's embarrassed of her true, petite form can shapeshift.
- Power Copying: Her magic lets her transform the magic of others into any element she wants, essentially giving her the power of any magic element.
- The Quiet One: Doesn't say anything while in the form of a large man, except for ominous wheezing, although when she transforms into other characters, she's much more enthusiastic. And once her true form is revealed, she becomes much quieter.
- Reality Warper: She can transform objects and alter magics themselves by converting elemental spells into a different attribute.
- Running Gag: She is always imitating her companions with her magic.
- Samus Is a Girl: Grey's real form is that of a timid woman.
- Shapeshifting: Her epithet is "master of transformation magic". Her first spoken line is shown while she's transformed into an exact copy of Asta. She can also make other things disguise as other stuff, which Gauche notes is a rare occurrence.
- Shy Blue-Haired Girl: What she really is, once her Transformation magic wears off.
- This Looks Like a Job for Aquaman: While not a bad or ineffective ability by any means, Grey's ability to transmute elemental attacks into other elements is the only means the Black Bulls have in counteracting Sally's slime attacks.
- Walking Spoiler: It's hard talking about Grey without mentioning her true form.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: She really has blue hair.
Voiced by: Hikaru Midorikawa (Japanese), Johnny Yong Bosch (English)
Debut: Chapter 112 (Manga), Episode 73 (Anime)
A mysterious and eccentric man who comes into the Royal Knight Tournament unannounced. He enjoys playing pranks on others and getting under people skin, but is actually a great Magic Knight with unusual powers and skill.
Uses Ash Magic in conjunction with Trap Magic, being capable of drawing magic symbols that unleash a variety of traps when triggered. Never confronts his enemies directly, preferring to befuddle them and trick them into defeating themselves.
- 0% Approval Rating: Intentionally and with gusto. He earns the hate of every person in the stadium, including his own teammates, less than fifteen seconds after showing up there.
- Ambiguously Evil: Apparently, he impersonated Xerx Lugner to deceive "the enemy", which included the rest of the Black Bulls.
- Ashes to Ashes: He uses Ash Magic to draw magical traps that trigger when stepped on such as landfills, pitfalls, and snares. He can even draw magical trap circles on himself, which is incredibly dangerous because his magic is attacking his own body.
- Attack Reflector: One of his traps functions this way, while doubling the power of the spell. They can bounce multiple times especially with Asta's help, turning normal spells into Wave Motion Gun levels of destruction.
- Broken Pedestal: The Magic Knights became one to him. His father, Zara, was an idealistic Magic Knight who genuinely wanted to help people, and he idolized the old man, wanting to help people too. His father's colleagues, however, were nobles who secretly killed Zara off because they didn't want to associate with a commoner. From then on, Zora would repeatedly encounter corrupt Magic Knights who would bully, threaten, assault, and even rape civilians to where he swore revenge on the entire Magic Knights organization.
- Combat Pragmatist: This man will do whatever it takes to win a fight, including messing around with the arena the entire night before his fight in a battle tournament so he'd have the upper hand when they begin. He'll also unhesitatingly throw his teammates into harm's way if it ensures he and his teammates win.
- Crazy-Prepared: Considering his forte is setting traps around the battlefield, he needs this kind of personality.
- Dangerous Forbidden Technique: He even inscribed magical trap circles on himself. Observers note that this is incredibly dangerous since it means his own magic is attacking his body.
- Dark and Troubled Past: His father was the first commoner who managed to join the Magic Knights. When his father perished in the line of duty, he overheard a couple Magic Knights mocking his late father for being a commoner. He also heard them gloating over how they killed his father just because they didn't want a commoner in their ranks. From that point on, Zora dedicated himself to punishing any Magic Knight who would abuse their power.
- Everyone Has Standards: While he does make it a point of punishing corrupt Magic Knights, he never actually goes out of his way to try killing them. Instead, he settles for brutalizing them in a fight and walking off.
- Yami mentions to Asta during his initial encounters with the Black Bulls that some of their members are off on missions. Zora happens to be one of them who comes into play later.
- When Asta questions Zora whether he had set traps all around the stage when seeing the latter being uneasy when the stage changes during the battle tournament, Zora concludes Asta can sense Ki, a term that someone close to Yami would know.
- During the introduction to the Black Bulls in Episode 4, his silhouette can be seen during their group shot.
- From Nobody to Nightmare: As a child, he was a quiet boy who did chores around the house and eagerly awaited his father to come home. Then, he saw some terrible things that shattered his perception of the world and is now a highly driven mage who can mow down almost any Magic Knight like they were nothing.
- Good Is Not Nice: He's a manipulative jerk whose life mission is to punish corrupt Magic Knights.
- Kick the Son of a Bitch: He beats up Xerx Lugner partly for his own amuzement, but that was after Xerx threatened to kill an old woman who simply wanted his help to find her granddaughter.
- Manipulative Bastard: He's quite fond of using his allies as bait to get his opponents to do what he wants them to do. Becomes a Running Gag in that each time he does this, Asta has been the bait every time.
- Meaningful Name: His real surname is Ideale, and he is a man with a very strong moral code, despite how he appears to other people.
- More Teeth than the Osmond Family: Initially, it looks like the teeth are part of his mask, but they are apparently his actual teeth.
- Mr. Fanservice: His outfit. If you could call it that.
- Rape Is a Special Kind of Evil: Not him, but he did witness a pair of Magic Knights about to rape a barmaid as their "reward" for the heroic deeds they just did. This was the impetus that drove him to become the vengeful man he is today.
- Sixth Ranger: Zora appears just before a very important arc in the series and is revealed to be a teammate all along.
- Trap Master: He uses his magic almost exclusively to set traps. They take the form of invisible spell circles on the ground that trigger when anybody is within them and can produce snare traps, landmine-like traps, and pitfalls with minimal effort. It turns out to be something he picked up from his father, who loved to play pranks on him.
- Troll: He enjoys pissing off people and he's really good at it. It eventually backfires on him with hilarious results when Mereoleona proves too powerful and angry to try it and get away with it.
- Vigilante Man: He has dedicated himself to hunting down and punishing Magic Knights who abuse their authority and power.
- Walking Shirtless Scene: His "jacket" only covers his arms and shoulders.
Debut: Chapter 99 (Manga), Episode 64 (Anime)
Magic Attribute: Recombination
A young man who is confined to the squad's headquarters because his illness requires him to siphon magic from living beings. Together with Yami, he is one of the two founding members of the Black Bulls.
His Recombination Magic can restructure a whole mansion to his liking.
- Beneficial Disease: To some extent. All the magic he's accumulated from the Black Bulls is used to make the base an upright bull, and this helps them fight off the Eye of the Midnight Sun members (though they still get what they want in the end).
- Determinator: Put any of the Black Bull's in danger, and he becomes surprisingly hard to stop for someone who's bedridden for his entire life.
- Early-Bird Cameo: Easy to miss, but he appears in a small part of Chapter 99, about forty chapters before his proper introduction. His role as the headquarters' ghost is given way earlier, when Asta sees that the interior has changed in Chapter 5.
- Energy Absorption: His illness forces him to suck magic from others.
- Hidden Eyes: His hair usually covers his eyes.
- Humongous Mecha: Essentially turns the base into one thanks to his recombination magic, and gets into a Behemoth Battle with Sally's creation.
- Ill Boy: His disease means he spends almost every day confined to his bed. If he stores up a lot of magic (or eats Charmy's food) he can move around for a while, but he's still exhausted.
- Meaningful Name: Henry's last name is Legolant, which sounds similar to Legoland. This is fitting for the person with recombination magic and is in charge of maintaining the base.
- Messy Hair: So much so that birds mistake him for a tree and live in it.
- Odd Friendship: Asta is the only person who can regularly be around him without risk, since he has no magic for Henry to drain. The two get along well because of this.
- Remember the New Guy?: Asta knew who he was long before the rest of the Black Bulls did. Everyone else except Yami, who recruited him, didn't even know he existed and thought he was a ghost. However, this is slightly justified due to the nature of his disease making him dangerous to be around for long periods of time for a magic user and why Asta already knew him was because he's the only one who can safely be around him due to his lack of magic.
- The Shut-In: Because of his illness, he can't leave the Black Bulls HQ.
- Special Person, Normal Name: Has one of the most mundane names in the cast, but has the power to rearrange the base.
- Verbal Tic: He talks really slow.