The brother of his female counterpart, Mr. Fanservice provides similar eye candy for women and gay men. It can be an effective way to bring in female viewers, even in a series directed towards males.
In order for a guy to qualify as Mr Fanservice, just being attractive isn't enough. He needs to be shown in scenes intended as fanservice for heterosexual girls and homosexual guys. He can have anything between muscular limbs, broad shoulders and/or sculpted abs (between six-packs and eight-packs). Said muscles can be either lean or chiseled; as long as you can see them, they count. He may also have long hair though it's not required. Most of the time, he has medium length hair, a swimmer's build, a smooth chiselled chest, washboard abs and no shirt on. However, if he's wearing a shirt, it's usually sleeveless or left totally unbuttoned.
He needs to be subjected to at least one Shirtless Scene, or he can take it a step further by deciding to forgo a shirt all the time. In the Beach Episode his choice of swimwear is likely to be a speedo. Just like his aforementioned counterpart, he can wear tight clothing, which shows off his body without baring skin. He can pull off a male version of Bare Your Midriff. He can wear anything (or nothing, that works too), as long as these clothes accentuate or reveal his muscles. If he wears some sort of skirt like garment the female fans will be prone to ask if he wears anything underneath it. He can also gender flip the Reluctant Fanservice Girl, Shameless Fanservice Girl and Innocent Fanservice Girl tropes.
An especially easy way to show off his figure would be through the Workout Fanservice, where he flexes his muscles via exercising. Hot Men at Work is when the Mr Fanservice is, well, at work, but distinctly lacking a shirt, regardless of health and safety issues. Bonus points if he's The Charmer.
It should be noted that the trope is not necessarily restricted to Hunk type characters either. Bishōnen and pretty boys can easily qualify as well, and are often intended as fanservice too (particularly in manga and anime, where they are rather common and video games, where they are not as common with some notable exceptions). A rarer type of the pretty boy subseries is the Biseinen who has a pretty face and chiseled muscles rather than being willowy. Biseinen are often unemotional but can still appear in comedic situations which can overlap with the genderflipped Reluctant Fanservice Girl.
Examples with their own subpages:
- Anime & Manga
- Comic Books
- Films Animation
- Films Live-Action
- Live-Action TV
- Pro Wrestling
- Tabletop Games
- Video Games
- Web Comics
- Web Original
- Western Animation
- In ''Euro Spy, we have a very handsome Hungarian spy named Gabor. He attracts many girls.
- The author of Axis Powers Hetalia fanfic Gankona, Unnachgiebig, Unità sure went out of her way to describe Italy dressed as Sailor Moon.
- In My Huntsman Academia, Izuku's toned and cut muscles (which are frequently covered up by his choice of clothing) is frequently discussed among his female friends. His chiseled six-pack abs get special attention, but he's also said to have solid pecs, bulging arms, and a nice tush that you wouldn't expect from a mousy guy like him. At one point, he decides to prank Yang by flashing his abs at her in a photo booth, only to find that she's utterly mesmerized by them until he snaps her out of it.
- Vale's Underground:
- Lie Ren gets a rather detailed description of what he looks like when he's wearing only boxer-briefs. And Nora says she likes it because it helps "advertise the merchandise" — said "merchandise" is noted to be eight inches (something the writer admits isn't really relevant to the plot but couldn't help but admit).
- Mercury Black gets a bit of this as well. His described muscular figure and his apparent status as a Sex God certainly help with that.