The Spear Counterpart of Ms. Fanservice, Mr. Fanservice provides similar eye candy for viewers who are into men. It can be an effective way to bring in female viewers, even in a series directed towards males.
In order for a guy to qualify as Mr. Fanservice, just being attractive isn't enough. He needs to be shown in scenes intended as sexual fanservice. He can have anything between muscular limbs, broad shoulders and/or sculpted abs (between six-packs and eight-packs). The muscles can be either lean or chiseled; as long as you can see them, they count. He may also have long hair though it's not required. Most of the time, he has medium length hair, a swimmer's build, a smooth chiseled chest, washboard abs and no shirt on. However, if he's wearing a shirt, it's usually sleeveless or left totally unbuttoned.
He needs to be subjected to at least one Shirtless Scene, or he can take it a step further by deciding to forgo a shirt all the time. In the Beach Episode his choice of swimwear is likely to be a speedo. Just like his aforementioned counterpart, he can wear tight clothing, which shows off his body without baring skin. He can pull off a male version of Bare Your Midriff. He can wear anything (or nothing, that works too), as long as these clothes accentuate or reveal his muscles. If he wears some sort of skirt-like garment the female fans will be prone to ask if he wears anything underneath it. He can also gender invert the Reluctant Fanservice Girl, Shameless Fanservice Girl, and Innocent Fanservice Girl tropes.
An especially easy way to show off his figure would be through the Workout Fanservice, where he flexes his muscles via exercising. Hot Men at Work is when Mr. Fanservice is, well, at work, but distinctly lacking a shirt, regardless of health and safety issues. Bonus points if he's The Charmer. If he wears small underwear, you have Briefs Boasting.
It should be noted that the trope is not necessarily restricted to Hunk type characters either. Bishōnen and pretty boys can easily qualify as well, and are often intended as fanservice too (particularly in manga and anime, where they are rather common and video games, where they are not as common with some notable exceptions). A rarer type of the pretty boy subseries is the Biseinen who has a pretty face and chiseled muscles rather than being willowy. Biseinen are often unemotional but can still appear in comedic situations which can overlap with the gender-inverted Reluctant Fanservice Girl.
Examples with their own subpages:
- Anime & Manga
- Comic Books
- Films Animation
- Films Live-Action
- Live-Action TV
- Pro Wrestling
- Tabletop Games
- Video Games
- Web Comics
- Web Original
- Western Animation
- In Euro Spy, we have a very handsome Hungarian spy named Gabor. He attracts many girls.
- The author of Axis Powers Hetalia fanfic Gankona, Unnachgiebig, Unità sure went out of her way to describe Italy dressed as Sailor Moon.
- In My Huntsman Academia, Izuku's toned and cut muscles (which are frequently covered up by his choice of clothing) are frequently discussed among his female friends. His chiseled six-pack abs get special attention, but he's also said to have solid pecs, bulging arms, and a nice tush that you wouldn't expect from a mousy guy like him. At one point, he decides to prank Yang by flashing his abs at her in a photo booth, only to find that she's utterly mesmerized by them until he snaps her out of it. Yang even brings this up when Team MNVW and Team TABY ask her to stop staring at Izuku so much.
Yang: Okay, fair, but can any of you actually blame me? [all the girls go silent and Yang nods approvingly]
- Vale's Underground:
- Lie Ren gets a rather detailed description of what he looks like when he's wearing only boxer briefs. And Nora says she likes it because it helps "advertise the merchandise" — said "merchandise" is noted to be eight inches (something the writer admits isn't really relevant to the plot but couldn't help but admit).
- Mercury Black gets a bit of this as well. His described muscular figure and his apparent status as a Sex God certainly help with that.
- Sun Wukong still reprises his role as this in canon after Chapter 18. When he visits Yang, she is practically drooling over the sight of his abs.
- Because there are strict limits on how much bare skin may be exposed during a figure skating competition, the deep V-neck on Nicolas Nadeau's Elvis Presley costume is about as sexy as it can get for male figure skaters. You can even see his chest hairs while he's waiting for his score in the kiss & cry. The revealing part of his outfit is based on Elvis Presley's fashion sense and it reflects that the King of Rock 'n' Roll was a sex symbol. Not surprisingly, Nadeau himself would be regarded as one of the hunkiest men's singles skaters in the sport after this performance. He's not obligated to show off his muscular arms and shoulders during his "I Was Made for Lovin' You" exhibition number, but he's happy to provide eye candy for the ladies.