In the West, we are raised to believe that Girl-on-Girl Is Hot and the media typically shows this because Most Writers Are Male. No questions! But in the East, it is the Spear Counterpart Guy On Guy Is Hot that is the sexual stimulant. While not as strong in the West (despite the growing number of Slash Fic) the way its Sister Trope is, it is the existing mentality in much of East and South East Asia. It's the reason for the Boys' Love Genre and the times when Homoerotic Subtext is played intentionally as a fetish. Some authors adhere to this or at least acknowledge its existence, and thus we get scenes of naked and half-naked men wrestling in mud, jello or oil.
Just as often, though, there is a heavy Double Standard, and on both sides; straight men thinking Girl-on-Girl Is Hot tends to be dismissed as normal behavior, whereas the female enjoyment of Guy-on-Guy will be treated as a perversion (see Yaoi Fangirl). Or, in the other direction, some women will proudly declare their fascination with gay guys doing it while denouncing men who eroticize lesbians as exploitative perverts. In any case, the trope is also frequently a magnet for closeted/unaware trans people who seek to identify with the characters.
There's in some cases an element of But Not Too Gay to this trope: women may enjoy watching men wrestle and make out but unlike men in the reverse scenario it may be implied that they wouldn't find it sexy if the situation were to "escalate" (however, large portions of fanfiction.net, Tumblr, and even a cursory visit to DeviantArt and Pixiv suggest that this is not true, as does the fact that so much M/M (male/male) romance with explicit sex scenes is written by and for cishet women).
This trope is the basis of about 99.9% of all Slash Fic.
- These advertisements for Sherlock are a bit misleading. Sure, there is some slash fuel but not as much as is suggested (sadly).
- There was an ad for Jawbone cellphone accessories a few years ago in which a woman in a bar is annoyed by the obnoxious behavior of a rugby club that had just entered. Luckily, when she activated her Jawbone headset, it blocked out all extraneous noise...including the crowd's reaction when two of the rugby guys started aggressively sucking face while peeling off their clothes. The best part? All the other actors present were actual rugby players who didn't know what was going to happen until the final shoot. Their reactions were priceless.
- Abercrombie◊ and Fitch.
- These Armani ads.
- This Butterfinger cups commercial promotes bisexual MMF threesomes as a way to spice up a marriage.
- This Guinness commercial shows a bisexual MMMF foursome.
- This trope is a large part of Axis Powers Hetalia's raison d'être. France spends most of his time stripping and/or groping the other male characters, Italy has a habit of glomping or sleeping with Germany while naked, and the series even has its own resident Yaoi Fangirl, Hungary.
- Erika from Durarara!! thought that Shizuo and Izaya made a wonderful couple. Her friends disapproved but, surprisingly, Shinra agreed with her (or at least thought it made sense in some way. Celty forbade him from actually finishing that thought). Not to say this is the general reaction to most fans about this pairing in general. It also doesn't help that Narita finds enjoyment in teasing the ship.
- Ohno and Ogiue from Genshiken love their yaoi, although the latter is loath to admit it at first.
- Konohamaru's Sexy No Jutsu had two shadow clones transform into a nude Sasuke and Sai locked in a very suggestive pose. It got cut in the anime, but the manga version can be seen here. It even gave Sakura a nosebleed.
- In the English print of this manga scene, the male on male part was nearly blacked out entirely, while the girl on girl scene only needed a few extra clouds to censor naughty bits. Major Double Standard on VIZ's part. Remember kids; getting the hots for naked ladies together is okay, but you're not allowed to even look at two guys. EVER!
- For once played for drama in Ooku. When Shogun Tsunayoshi is developing God Save Us from the Queen! tendencies, she orders two of her male concubines to have sex for her entertainment, thinking they won't mind since she knows them to be lovers. They're so insulted at being used for voyeuristic thrills that they attempt to commit seppuku, giving her a salutary shock.
- This is Hikaru and Kaoru's entire shtick in Ouran High School Host Club, with the twincest angle to spice things up. And it's never entirely clear if it's just an act or not.
- Meirin of Black Butler certainly thinks this. Though with the amount of Bishōnen and Ho Yay that occurs it's not like you could blame her. The series also has an abundance of real life yaoi fangirls.
- One of the OVA for Fairy Tail, set during the Grand Magic Games arc, takes place in a huge water park. Juvia is trying to convince Gray to go on the Love-Love waterslide with her, which is basically a tunnel of love in waterslide form, but Natsu accidentally knocks Gray and Leon onto the slide instead. Juvia is suddenly fascinated by her main crush embracing another guy on a romantic attraction. In reality, the two are just clinging to each other because of the terrifying speed of the slide. Of course, Juvia herself ends up on the slide with Lucy later on; the OVA is pretty much one long Ship Tease.
- The first episode of Osomatsu-san has Osomatsu and Jyushimatsu kiss after accidentally unraveling each others' clothes during the F6 segment. Despite Totoko covering her face for modesty, you can clearly see her move her fingers out of her eyes and blush. Note that this only applies to their pretty boy forms; around the actual brothers, she treats them as she always did.
- One chapter of The World of Moral Reversal has one of the main characters try to rent out a gay porn DVD without getting caught. Since this is taking place in a Gender Flipped setting where girls are expected to have the All Men Are Perverts mindset and associated libido, it's assumed to be a normal occurrence the way Girl-on-Girl Is Hot is thought to be with boys in this world.
- Played for Laughs in Kaguya-sama: Love Is War when a series of coincidences make it seem like Shirogane is in a homosexual relationship with a cross-dressing Hayasaka. Fujiwara visibly gets a nosebleed upon hearing this.
- In Anime-Gataris, the Anime Club is saved from disbanding after a substantial number of girls in the audience vote in favor of them. Why? After Kai Kai makes a passionate speech in favor of keeping the club, Nakano (the school's resident pretty boy) helps him up very intimately after his glasses fall off (showing off Kai Kai's pretty eyes in the process).
- Quoting the infamous fanfic My Immortal: "don't u fik gay guyz r lik so hot!". The Harry Potter characters like Harry and Draco Malfoy were turned into bisexual men just for them to enter in a relationship between themselves and protagonist, Ebony Darkness Dementia Way. Other characters in the book series likewise were turned bisexual.
- Story of Utter Tripe Reviews apparently has this mentality. Things get awkward when one of her fellow riffers finds out that her search history includes pictures of her crush and one of his friends doing it on a table.
- The ER fanfic The Eternal Quadrangle has Abby and Kerry walking in on Carter and Luka going at it. Afterwards, Luka hurriedly assures Abby that he still has the hots for her, only to have her cut him off:
Abby: I would be mad. . .if it weren't the hottest thing I'd ever seen.
- A later chapter has Abby and Kerry getting so aroused at the sight of the two men having sex, that they have sex.
- A Dance On The Mats:Twilight and Fluttershy are...ecstatic when Anon reveals that Caramel has a gay crush on him. Fluttershy even has a Nosebleed.
- See the plot to every Eating Out movie.
- In Get Smart, when Max appears to be humping a male Control agent (he's actually trying to pull him off the table), a guard, in a rare male example, walks by and looks a little too interested before being pulled away.
- In The Kids Are All Right, the lesbian couple enjoys watching gay porn together.
- In The Pink Panther Strikes Again, when Clouseau is attempting to revive Dreyfus at the insane asylum (from behind), two women think that he's attempting to make out with him. The older one snaps, "Don't look, Fiona!", but Fiona seems pretty eager to watch.
- In The Princess Diaries 2 (which is a Disney movie aimed at pre-teen girls, just so we're clear), there is a scene where Mia and her best friend Lilly are looking at prospective princes. Mia remarks that one prince shown is cute, to which her bodyguard Joseph replies, "His boyfriend thinks he's handsome also." Mia and Lilly's reaction is
Mia and Lilly: [punch the air] Right on.
- In Tamara, the title character brainwashes Shawn and Patrick into making out and having sex for her enjoyment, so that they can experience what it's like to be in the position of the girls who they exploited for sex.
- From The Waterboy:
Rita: Is there a girl you're seein'?
Bobby: Seein'? Uh, I see a lot of girls I see I lot of guys too.
Rita: I think that's sexy, you ever been with a guy and a girl at the same time?
- In Run Fat Boy Run, Dennis and Gordon oversleep and have to race to the marathon in a cab, Dennis thrashing around trying to get dressed as they go. When they stop at a traffic light, they notice there's a woman looking into the cab at Dennis in his pants straddling Gordon and she seems to be enjoying the show.
- In Plan B, Bruno and Pablo jokingly tell their friend Ana that they're boyfriends who are madly in love and Ana goads them into kissing each other in front of her to prove it, adding that she's similarly kissed girls before for other guys' enjoyment.
- Anita Blake. Two guys together gets Anita and Belle Morte off.
- One Hundred Strokes of the Brush before Bed by Melissa P. The Fille Fatale protagonist has a Gay Best Friend who arranges for two men-friends to have sex while she watches, as part of her journey of sexual discovery.
- In the third book in The Millennium Trilogy, it's revealed that Erika and her husband have occasionally participated in threesomes with a male friend of theirs. Erika outright says that she can't decide which is sexier—to have two men pleasuring her simultaneously, or watching her husband with another man. Her greatest fantasy is to have on-again/off-again lover Blomkvist join her and her husband in the bedroom, and her greatest disappointment is that he is adamant that this will not happen, him having no bisexual inclination.
- Buffy the Vampire Slayer gets annoyed with the mutual jealousy of her two vampire ex-boyfriends and suggests putting them in a room together then have them get naked and wrestle it out while she watches. When Spike says it's fine with him, her eyes widen with excitement and she adds, "There could be oil of some kind involved." Note that this trope is a view held by much of the show's fanbase as well.
- Likewise vampire girls Darla and Drusilla openly enjoy the sight of Spike and Angel coming to blows, or as the DVD Commentary put it, "getting ready to ram their stakes through each other."
- Also Harmony in "Crush":
Harmony I told you: No threesomes Unless they're boy-boy-girl. Or Charlize Theron.
- There was a skit on The Chris Rock Show where two men cross paths on the street and it looks like they're about to fight and they make out instead. All you can hear from the audience is women squeeing. You can watch it here (even if the end was just spoiled out of necessity). While hilarious, the clip is sadly a case of artistic license, as racial bias and tension have long been a sore point in the gay community.
- Doctor Who, "Deep Breath": Strax scans Clara's subconscious and finds images of what he generously interprets as "young men playing sport."note
Strax: It could be sport
- Referenced by Captain Jack, who, upon seeing three versions of the Doctor, two of whom are David Tennant in a tight suit, comments: "I can't even tell you what I'm thinking right now." Much of the fandom would probably agree.
- In the Farscape episode "Won't Get Fooled Again", one of the many crazy scenes involves a Camp Gay D'Argo propositioning John. Apparently, Chiana wants to watch
- In one Friends episode, Rachel had an Erotic Dream that featured Chandler. Later, it also included Joey, then Rachel mentions that sometimes it was just Chandler and Joey. The guys leer until they realise what that means.
- One of the Patients of the Week on Grey's Anatomy was a gay soldier. Once his boyfriend comes to visit him they are alone and proceed to make out. Meredith Grey walks by and stares at them with much interest.
- In the Tudor Porn sketches in Monty Python's Flying Circus, Sir Philip's wife is fond of reading "Gay Boys in Bondage".
- Noah's Arc: Brandy finds two guys together quite sexy, though overall the trope goes without saying for the LGBT genre (at least on the male end).
- A meta-example: Queer as Folk was a show about gay men and their relationships and sex lives. Its primary audience was meant to be gay/bi men and, to a lesser extent, lesbians. Yet it gained a huge fanbase among straight women.
- Saturday Night Live has a recurring skit called the "Kissing Family" which features a considerable amount of intense guy-on-guy kissing. Inevitably there will be squeals of delight which overpower the laughter.
- Scrubs: Jordan believes this, and apparently isn't too fussy about the age of the men involved.
Jordan: We should have sex later.
Dr Cox: [unnerved] How did you get from that image to that thought?
- There was an episode of Sex and the City where the girls rent gay porn for this reason and watch it together.
- State of Play. A homosexual member of the newsroom mentions he just slept with the man they've been investigating. When he asks if they want him to go into detail the men immediately say "No!" while the female journalists have exactly the opposite response.
- In an episode of Series/Superstition Sam explains to Dean that some of the fans of the in-show duo are into shipping them. Dean:"Don't they know we're brothers?" Sam:"I don't think they care." Dean: "That's sick!"
- These scenes from True Blood were probably inserted for this reason.
"All this alpha-male posturing. Why don't the two of you just fuck each other and get it over with? I could watch."
- Will & Grace:
Grace: Gay sex is so hot!
- And this:
Jack: We'll have a steak, watch a movie you like gay porn, right?
Grace: Who doesn't?
- Karen too, natch:
Karen: I havent rooted this hard for a gay couple to get together on TV since Frasier and Niles.
Will: They were brothers.
Karen, sighing: I know.
- And this:
- Oz: There are countless Internet spaces devoted to (mostly female) fans poring over the most squee-worthy moments between Beecher and Keller.
- Sunrise On 7: Apparently, reporter Edwina Barthowlmew thinks that gay sex is hot when she interviews A.J Roach of the Australian men's water polo team at the 2012 London Olympics:
A.J. Roach: It's a great spectacle. Especially guys running around in their speedos, wrestling and pressing up against each other. So it's a good sport to watch.
Edwina Barthowlmew: That sounds like the Greek Olympics.
- Subverted on Mad Tv: The Vancome Lady tells her gay neighbors who are dressed like pirates while trick or treating with their kids:
Vancome Lady: And by the way, you two need to learn how to close your blinds alright, I'm tired of watching you two play bury the treasure.
- In this clip reporter Susannah Collins cheerfully reports that the Chicago Blackhawks have been having a lot of sex with each other.
- In the Seinfeld episode "The Outing", George visits his mother in the hospital and finds himself getting uncomfortable at the sexy silhouettes of the handsome, well-built male nurse giving his equally good-looking male patient a sponge bath.
- Lucifer. Lucifer and Pierce are Undercover as Lovers. When Lucifer gives Pierce a Forceful Kiss to maintain their cover that they're gay, Chloe (who's working Mission Control) rushes over to the window to get a direct look.
- Motherland: Fort Salem: Abigail stops the two men she has a threeway with and watches them kiss a moment. It's possible she also watches them have sex.
- Why do Panic! at the Disco have so many fans, you ask? 1% for the awesome music and 99% for the Faux Yay/Ho Yay between all the hot guys. My Chemical Romance have a large female fanbase for the same reason.
- The Peaches song, "Two Guys (For Every Girl)" is about Peaches wanting to see her men have sex with each other.
- Take That used to do lots of Ho Yay moments that extended to naked pics in their early days as well, but they stopped because they want a wider audience. Needless to say, many of their female and gay male fans left.
- Try any Boy Band ever, really. The pretty boys, the Ho Yay, it's definitely part of the appeal, even for the girls who also want the guys for themselves.
- The Go-Gos' cover version of the Jan and Dean threesome song is about both kinds of 2-guys-1-girl threesomes:
'mAnd we go to Surf City 'cause it's two to one
Go to Surf City, gonna have some fun
Go to Surf City 'cause it's two to one
Go to Surf City, gonna have some fun
Go to Surf City 'cause it's two to one
Two boys for every girl''
- Britney Spears is suggesting a bisexual MMF threesome as well a bisexual MMMF foursome in "3":
1, 2, 3
Peter, Paul and Mary
Gettin' down with 3P
Everybody loves counting, ohhh
- Twilight Sparkle's Secret Shipfic Folder well, there's the "My First Slash" goal, the "I'm Not Gay I Swear" goal, the "Quite" goal, and then there's the pictures of "Life-Threatening Illness" and "They fight crime" and then there's basically, the game all but states Twilight loves this trope.
- In Disgaea 4: A Promise Unforgotten, it turns out that the female half of the party is more than a little interested in the relationship between Valvatorez and Fenrich. Some of the Player Mooks even write Slash Fic.
- In Shadow Hearts: Covenant, after you beat The Great Gama in Joachim's sidequest, he passes on his abilities to Joachim by engaging in some off-screen gay sex with him in the wrestling ring right in front of the whole party. While Juri isn't especially thrilled to see this, Anastasia comments that she finds it "beautiful".
- In Deiz, one of the endings has a director kidnapping you and your best friend and forcing you to make out on camera because of this trope.
- Nina from Fire Emblem Fates is the resident Yaoi Fangirl whose wild fantasies will take flight whenever she sees two men so much as talking to each other and wishing they were far more intimate than just being friends. Her Spear Counterpart is Soleil, though she really likes to be on the receiving end of Girl-on-Girl Is Hot, unlike the opposite-gender shy Nina.
- In Exiern apparently Peonie used to find Guy on Guy Hot until she imagined it involving her father.
Princess Peonie: Now Yaoi is Ruined For Me Forever.
The King: The pornographers of the Kingdom weep at the news, no doubt.
- Ménage à 3 uses this for its audience with Dillon and Matt as an early homosexual couple and more than enough random male homosexual couples making out. (Note that the comic ruthlessly avoids any hint of double standards; it provides guy-on-guy, girl-on-girl, and heterosexual fanservice.) Then there are the in-universe examples: Zii is quite obsessed with yaoi (though, to be fair, she does like bisexual and lesbian porn as well), and is sometimes distracted by those random gay couples on the street (it's Montreal — quite the boho city), while DiDi doesn't seem to dislike guy-on-guy action either. Straight guy Gary's occasional tendency to get distracted by the gay guys around him seems to be more of a mixture of naive curiosity and abstract aesthetics.
- In Questionable Content, Marten admits that Steve, on a drunken dare, gave him a huge kiss, tongue and all. Dora and Faye's reaction? "RECREATE THIS. NOW."
- This comic from Scandinavia and the World. A Yaoi surprise indeed.
- In order to force Ethan to get together with a guy who previously called him out on his jerkish behavior, Robin adds a clause to the anti-cancer bill she's trying to get through Congress that will force the two to make out at least once a week. As soon as she does, the bill gains significant support among women.
- Amber repeatedly expresses enthusiasm for anything which results in two dudes getting it on.
- In Skin Horse, Tip and Konstantin mud-wrestling attracts quite an audience, including a Kinsey-Sevennote lesbian and a sapient swarm of bees.
- Sticky Dilly Buns, a spin-off from Ménage à 3 (see above), features the naive, virginal Ruby, who is doomed to a rapid education in life, including, early on, exposure to the sight of two gay guys having sex. She subsequently suffers flashbacks to the scene and rapidly evolves into a Yaoi Fangirl (somewhat to her own confusion).
- In Our Little Adventure, Angelika seems to have this opinion and elaborates on it here.
- In El Goonish Shive, this is one of the reasons Sarah is shipping Justin and Luke.
Sarah: I really want to see them make out.
[Tedd and Grace stare at her]
Sarah: because it would make Justin happy. And stuff.
Sarah: Sooooooo, your date with Luke last night! How'd it go? How'd it go?
- Later Justin calls her on it:
Justin: First, let me ask you something. Is part of your interest due to having a thing for male-male relationships, and being so eager to hear about them that you don't realize your own rudeness and insensitivity?
Justin: Because I love the attention and am eager to talk about all sorts of stuff with you.
Sarah: Noted! Let's gab.
- In Ensign Sue Must Die, even though Ensign Sue is torn between her love of Captain Kirk and Mr. Spock, she would be willing to compromise and get them to start a relationship with each other.
Sue: The only thing better than making out with a hot guy is watching two hot guys make out!
- Played for laughs in Record Wisdom Bonus Yield. When explicitly told a monster is attacking Jaune and Cardin, Pyrrha uses everyone's low sense motive rolls to deliberately misinterpret what is going on and proclaim she wishes to congratulate the two on their new relationship. Ruby and Weiss hop in on the joke, declaring they'll protect Jaune during his makeout session. Jaune himself is not amused.
- The Nostalgia Chick:
Todd: Why am I suddenly craving butter? man butter?
- On the forums, when asked, Lindsay Ellis responded that she enjoys gay porn but can't stand it when it has a plot.
- In her review of The Christmas Shoes, the 12-year old version of herself is shown writing a Slash Fic featuring Legolas and Aragorn.
- In her review of Kate & Leopold, Leopold's "fresh, creamery butter" line causes The Nostalgia Critic, Todd in the Shadows, brentalfloss, and some other guy to start craving Hugh Jackman's butter and doing suggestive things with buttersticks. Lampshaded, of course.
Critic: [strokes butterstick, then slaps self] No! You like boobs! and butter
Javert: [singing about Valjean] He will bend, he will break
- And from her review of Les Misérables:
Lindsay: [singing as Javert about Valjean] He will bend over—ooh!
- Invoked in episode 7 of Sex House by the host, who tries to get Derek to have sex with Jay when both of them are intoxicated by the "cloudy drink".
- Big Mouth: Season 3's "Obsessed" sees this both as a plot and a gag. One of the episode's subplots follow Jay and Missy writing erotic slash fanfiction of the protagonist of Rock of Gibraltar and the protagonist of Firefly. In a throwaway gag, when Jessi says she won't watch Aiden and Matthew kissing while trying to arrange for them to have some time alone, Connie warns her not to "negotiate against herself".
- In the South Park episode "Tweek x Craig", P.C. Principal and Wendy host a student assembly that introduces the students to Yaoi. When the students are shown drawings of Craig and Tweek engaged in homoerotic activities (all of which, it should be noted, were real works of fan-art made by viewers of the show), all of the girls respond with "Awww."