This is where a character has very unique, "beautiful" eyes. These eyes are one of their main defining characteristics, and many people become enamored with them because of it. Maybe their eyes are an unusual color, or perhaps it's a very piercing, striking hue of a color. Or possibly, their eyes have very pure, untainted emotion inside that other people can clearly see. Whatever the reason, these eyes will be known for being gorgeous and special. In fact, characters will many times come out and tell them that their eyes are beautiful. Occasionally, the character themselves will hate their own eyes because it makes them "different".
"The eyes are the window to the soul" may be a factor.
- Sakurako from Ai Kora. The protagonist, Maeda, is so obsessed with them, he's the first one to notice when something's wrong with them.
- Assassination Classroom: According to his Love Interest, Nagisa has entrancingly expressive eyes. They fit his snake motif.
- In Berserk, while sick with a fever from his first encounter with Griffith and the Band of the Hawk, Guts became delirious from a nightmare about his dark childhood trauma, only to be soothed from the nightmares through Casca's (who he did not formally meet other than a brief clash of swords) Intimate Healing. He didn't remember much from this sequence, other than whoever was warming him had "black eyes." When Guts and Casca "formally" meet the next morning (with a punch from her), he instantly recognizes her eyes.
- Betrayal Knows My Name:
- Yuki thinks that Luka has pretty eyes in chapter 1 of the
- Shuusei thinks that Hotsuma's eyes are as fascinating as sparkling gemstones in chapter 9.
- Black Butler:
- It's very heavily implied that Undertaker's eyes (which he hides underneath his long bangs) are pretty. Before Grell Sutcliff sees them, she calls Undertaker "dull" and shows very little interest in him. However, after actually looking into them... she gets clingy and asks Undertaker to hug her. In the manga chapters 59 to 61 we finally see them. And yes, they're◊ very pretty◊, along with the rest of his face.
- William Spears eyes are considered beautiful. Grell is absolutely enamoured by them, saying that they send chills up her spine.
- In episode 5 of the second season, Alois comments that Ciel's eyes are the same pretty blue color as his ring.
- Drocell gazes deep into Elizabeth's eyes and says "Your eyes have such tremendous depth and sadness in them. They're incredibly melancholic." It's for this reason that he decides to make her into one of his special dolls.
- In the manga, the Viscount of Druitt comments to an audience when he is trying to auction off a disguised Ciel: "Her eyes are bright and beautiful, the color of the sea, yet with a deep contrasting color of the forest."
- In episode 20 of the first season, Sebastian's torturer is very excited by his eyes and wonders aloud what would be best to do with them. He puts off damaging them, saying he wants to save the best for last.
- Black Cat:
- Train has yellow, cat-like eyes. In the anime, both Saya and Creed tell him repeatedly that his eyes are so beautiful. And they both fell for him. However, they had quite different reasons and different situations: Saya loved his eyes for the conventional reasons, but Creed loved the eyes that he had as an emotionless, perfect killer.
- Charden of the Apostles of the Star, a Tao user who can manipulate his blood, usually appears relatively plain in a longcoat, silk top hat and orange-tinted shades. However, the first time Kyoko sees him without his glasses, she says that she would totally fall for him if she weren't already devoted to Black Cat.
- In Black★Rock Shooter, Saya says Mato's eyes are beautiful as they have never seen nor expressed hatred.
- Candy Candy: Anthony, on Candy: "Her eyes... her pretty green eyes!"
- Code Geass features this in the final battle when Nunally opens her eyes for the first time in years. This shocks Lelouch and the tension of the scene is only increased by Nunally's intense indigo eyes.
- Dawn of the Arcana: In chapter 23 Gouda touches Nakaba's face and tells her "Even these lively looking eyes are lovely."
- Descendants of Darkness:
- Tsuzuki has purple eyes. Muraki constantly reminds him of how much he loves those beautiful eyes, telling him that he fell in love with him at first sight when he saw his eyes in a photo. Tsuzuki, on the other hand, hates them because they're proof of his demonic heritage.
- Hisoka is on occasion told his green eyes are 'beautiful but cold'.
- Tailmon of Digimon Adventure has big blue eyes given she's a feline. It's implied they're the first things Wizarmon saw of her◊ when she saved his life, and Vamdemon hates how they look so much he would beat her just for looking at him. And the only time you see Angewomon's eyes are a brief glimpse in the Evolution sequence◊, and they're still the same. So much focus is put on her eyes that it's usually the first thing pointed out in Digimon fan fiction about the character.
- In episode 3, Risa fangirls over Dark "Dark-san's eyes are very captivating. It's like being pulled into his eyes that sparkle like amethysts."
- In episode 9, Daisuke thinks about Riku "What beautiful eyes. Harada-san had eyes like that."
- Florian from the manga Gorgeous Carat has amethyst eyes that are commented on quite frequently, and are pretty much the sole reason so many people lust after him.
- In Heat Guy J, Giovanni (then a lonely 12-year-old Street Urchin) is found by Don Lorenzo Leonelli and told he has "good, strong eyes" (and thoroughly confused by that statement even into his adulthood). Lorenzo then takes Giovanni home to be a friend/big-brother-figure for his lonely, depressed 4-year-old son.
- In Hunter × Hunter, there's the Kuruta Clan, whose most special (actually legendary) feature are their beautiful "Scarlet Eyes", which only show when they experience rage or extreme emotional agitation. These eyes were so beautiful, it got to the point where they were actually hunted for their eyes, which were highly in demand as a collector's treasure. Currently, the only survivor of the clan is Kurapika, who has to hide his eyes using plain contacts so no one knows he's one. On that note, at some instances Hisoka referred to Kurapika's grey eyes as "delicious" and Kurapika's scarlet eyes as "exciting".
- Hunter x Hunter: Phantom Rouge: After Killua notices her puppet's eyes are beautiful, Retz comments that Gon and Killua's eyes are also beautiful, remarking that "Gon's eyes are translucent and Killua's eyes are tinged in darkness yet pure". This made Killua suspicious of her true identity, and later, it's revealed Omokage wants both their eyes for the same reason.
- In Immortal Rain, Ys tells Machika that she has "pretty eyes like a blue sky" after she asks him why he was staring at her.
- Jujutsu Kaisen has Satoru Gojo, who has lushly-animated eyes that are so bright blue they nearly glow◊, framed by long white eyelashes to boot. They're covered most of the time, since they're linked to his enhanced perception and would tire him out if he left them permanently uncovered (not to mention the toll it would take on the animators to draw the depth and complexity of them every time he appears). So when he uncovers them for a fight scene, it's just about guaranteed that a Moment of Awesome is imminent.
- In the Jyu-Oh-Sei manga, Tiz gives Thor's beautiful blue eyes as the reason for why she claimed him as her husband.
- Both Kaguya and Shirogane of Kaguya-sama: Love Is War made mental notes of each others eyes when they were paired up for portrait drawings in art class. Two chapters later, it's revealed that Kaguya has a fetish for people with tired looking eyes.
- Kaiju Girl Caramelise: Crossing over with Eyes Are Mental, Kuroe Akaishi has pinkish-red eyes with heart-shaped pupils in both her human and Kaiju forms. Arata Minami expresses his admiration for the eyes of "both" characters even without realizing that they're one and the same.
- Kamisama Kiss: In the recent manga arcs Nanami's vivid eyes get remarked and commented on their beauty by other characters. In fact Tomoe says that he fell in love with "Yukiji"(Nanami) because of the look of her eyes.
- In Love Stage!!, the main character Izumi Sena has large and uniquely colored eyes, which leads to him needing to do a reunion commercial with another actor who wants him to return, remembering his unique eye color (he was dressed as a girl at the time).
- Lyrical Nanoha:
- This is why Nanoha decided to befriend Fate. She was fascinated by her "beautiful sad eyes" and wanted to help her. But Fate being the bad guy meant she wasn't going to open up and start chatting, so Nanoha decided she would get powerful enough to beat her so that she would tell her why she's sad so Nanoha could fix it.
- Their daughter Vivio seems to be going down a similar route in Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha ViVid with a sparring session that had Vivio commenting to herself about Einhart Stratos' eyes, except they're not quite as aggressive against each other as Nanoha and Fate were... yet. Einhart's disappointed when Vivio doesn't try her hardest during their fight.
- In The Gears of Destiny, when the nine years old Nanoha meets Einhart from the future, she's fascinated by Einhart's beautiful eyes. Nanoha seems to have a fetish for eyes.
- Fuka commented on Rinne's eyes near the end of ViVid Strike! when the latter finally lets go of her self-loathing.
- Made in Abyss: Belaf in season two is noted to have very beautiful eyes; the character himself considers 'eyes' to be symbolically linked to truth and defines true beauty as looking at things unflinchingly and never shying away from the truth. When forced to live via the prolonged suffering of a young girl he cares about, he cannot ignore the truth of her pain like many of his comrades come to, and expresses this by scratching at his own eyes in anguish. After he begs Irumyuui to take his soul and body as recompense, she instead transforms him to a being which is no longer in mental distress, but given that said distress was due to his morals and values, he now no longer has any particular qualms about things his human self would have reviled...and in this new form, he has no eyes.
- Maiden Rose: When Taki told Klaus that he won't abandon his people but protect them and stand with them on the battlefield, Klaus said he had 'such beautiful eyes'.
- Märchen Awakens Romance: Said exactly like this by Phantom who is obsessed with Alviss mainly because his eyes remind him of a certain someone. Alviss' blue eyes are very similar to his girlfriend's Alma, which explains why he gets complimented so much.
- Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid: Tohru is enamored with Kobayashi's "dead-fish eyes". And if Takiya's comment in the preview for episode 8 are to be believed, so is a good chunk of the internet.
- Pilot Amuro Ray from Mobile Suit Gundam is commented on for having beautiful brown eyes. Most notably by a potential love interest, Lalah Sune.
- Roberto raises the Ho Yay level when he tells Nina: Roberto: You have beautiful eyes. Just like Johan's...
- Even Tenma comments on how Johan has beautiful eyes.
- There is some Kisame/Killerbee Foe Romance Subtext in a chapter which includes the two enemies getting really close to each other's faces and Killerbee telling Kisame that he has "pretty eyes". And that it's "too bad they're pretty because they'll soon be pretty dead!"
- Naruto has gorgeous blue eyes, but it's his son Boruto who has the particularly striking ones. In The Last: Naruto the Movie he had purple eyes like his mother Hinata but they were subsequently changed to blue like his father's. Boruto and Naruto look almost identical, however Boruto's eyes are actually a brighter shade of blue than Naruto's. In Boruto: Naruto the Movie, Sarada comments on his eyes, which causes Boruto to blush.
- In Natsume's Book of Friends, one of the first things Hinoe does when Takashi Natsume summons her is gush about his eyes... only to immediately retract the compliment and all others when she realizes she's got the wrong Natsume.
- Ouran High School Host Club: The thing that makes Tamaki want Haruhi for the Host Club is when he takes off her glasses and sees her eyes. He gets her contact lenses at once, which make her eyes stand out even more.
- PandoraHearts: Leo's eyes are considered beautiful. In Retrace 50, Elliot thinks it's a shame that Leo hides his face behind his hair because "his eyes are such a beautiful color". In Retrace 61, Vincent seems to think so as well. "Such a beautiful color... those eyes... that golden light shining in those two pits of darkness... reflects the world that he alone can see."
- Brief's eyes in Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt are absolutely stunning. They're normally covered up by bangs, but when pulled up... he's gorgeous.
- In Princess Tutu Mytho's eyes are one of the first thing that Ahiru notices. They're also the first thing that lets her know something isn't quite right with him.
Ahiru: Wow, what pretty eyes. It's like they're sucking me in. But, they look so...empty.
- Private Actress: Aside of being very cute-looking in general, Satoka Ryoudo's biggest charm is how she possesses incredibly striking eyes. Enough to net her a role where the charas's eyes are vital to her look, and which was originally written for a much older actress. Shiho also recognizes her as her rival, Kana Juumonji, thanks to said eyes.
- Sailor Moon:
- Prince Diamond about Sailor Moon, in the 90s anime.
Prince Diamond: Her eyes ... So beautiful ... Sailor Moon ... exquisite.
- Mamoru/Tuxedo Mask's eyes are also stated as remarkably beautiful by Usagi in the manga, she says that his eyes are so deep she could drown in them. One of the songs for the anime was about him and it states than his eyes are "silver-gray".
- Prince Diamond about Sailor Moon, in the 90s anime.
- Mihoko of Saki, whose heterochromatic eyes Hisa mentioned to be very pretty when she saw them.
"Did you know? Red rubies and blue sapphires are made from the same element".
- Sakura Gari: Souma remarks that Masataka has very beautiful honest eyes. It's about at this point that his attraction to him begins. Unfortunately for Mastaka.
- In Samurai Deeper Kyo, some of Kyo's opponents thought that "Demon Eyes" Kyo's red eyes were beautiful.
- In Sensual Phrase much mention is given to how startling some people find Sakuya's blue eyes. In chapter 2, Aine tells Sakuya "under the glare of the lights, your blue eyes look incredibly beautiful." She then thinks to herself "his eyes are just like the burning stamp of sin." Later in chapter 7 when Sakuya reveals to Aine how his blue eyes are connected to his Dark and Troubled Past (as he's a Child by Rape and his rapist "father" was a blue-eyed American man), Aine hugs him and reassures him "I love your blue eyes! Beautiful, clear, straightforward...I love them!"
- Seraph of the End:
- Mikaela's blue eyes and golden hair of are commented on by Ferid as being to his liking when basically hitting on him.
- In chapter 46, Ferid approaches Yuu and blushes saying "Wow! Haven't you grown into the cute one! Your demon is on the verge of rampage yet you still have such clear and beautiful eyes. No wonder you are the extra special guinea pig."
- Sora Himoto from Shitsurakuen went completely NanoFate when Reiko turned her down as a mistress and she saw Reiko's "beautiful, vigorous eyes."
- Aloof Dark-Haired Girl Reina from Sound! Euphonium has bright purple eyes. This contrasts her with most characters, who have normal eye colours like brown. Reina's eyes get a lot of focus and several close-up shots.
- Yoh of Starry☆Sky is told that his eyes are beautiful in a flashback during the first episode and in the second episode.
- The manga adaptation of Sunday Without God has a rather disturbing example. Hiko [[Eye Screamrips out Hampnie's eye]] to claim as a "prize" and then starts gushing about how beautiful it is. (In a less disturbing example, the anime seems very fond of emphasizing the characters' pretty eyes, especially Ai's.)
- Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann doesn't bring attention to Kamina's eyes, but instead his long, beautiful eyelashes, which are gushed over by Kittan's sisters in Episode 4, and arguably parodied in Parallel Works 2.
- In CLAMP's Tokyo Babylon and later X, Subaru Sumeragi is told by several people (and privately thought of as having) truly beautiful emerald-green eyes. No wonder Seishirou was not pleased when one of them is gouged out brutally in an Eye Scream moment!
- Tokyo Ghoul:
- Kanae comments on how nice Mutsuki's eyes are. Torso thinks so too. When he has Mutsuki captured, he tells him the reason he's so attracted to Mutsuki is because of his pretty eyes.
- Nutcracker tells a woman she's beautiful and has nice eyes before eating her face.
- Tsukiyama is introduced by complimenting a woman's eyes (and then taking and eating them).* During the Shura Arc of Tsubasa -RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE-, Fai and Kurogane's eyes turn black while staying in Yama. When Syaoran tells Sakura about this she remarks that "Fai-san has beautiful blue eyes like sapphires." Which is probably why CLAMP like to play with them so much.
- Under Grand Hotel: Sen makes much of Swordfish's eyes. In one scene a barber named Norman pushes Sen's bangs back and asks him, "You wanna try cutting your bangs a little? Your eyes are so beautiful."
- In ×××HOLiC, Watanuki remarks on one of his customer's eyes. She's blind, but he still finds her eyes very pretty. When she jokingly asks him if only her eyes are pretty, he politely tells her that the rest is pretty too, of course.
- Seiryuu in Yona of the Dawn inherited the eyes of the Blue Dragon and upon seeing them for the first time, Yona remarked how beautiful they were. But due to the villagers' superstition that anyone who looked at his eyes became stone, Seiryuu always wore a mask to conceal them.
- Yu-Gi-Oh! ARC-V: Among all [X]-Eyes dragons of the franchise, Odd-Eyes Pendulum Dragon and his evolution lines basically live through this trope. Each form has a different description for his eyes, ranging from "wondrous and beautiful dichromatic eyes" to "luminous feral eyes" to "eyes glittering with wrath". It only happens in the Japanese dub.
- In Persepolis, Marjane Satrapi mentions a university classmate who was considered especially beautiful because of her green eyes; according to Marjane most Iranians have black eyes.
- In some continuities, a major reason why Superman wears glasses as Clark Kent is because his eyes are an intense and noticeably deep blue, and the lenses make them less conspicuous.
- Paperinik nicknamed Xadhoom "beautiful eyes". It was completely ironic◊... Then she was temporarily Brought Down to Normal, and was shocked to find that, in her original form, Xadhoom's eyes are truly beautiful.
- What else would you expect from a character named Golden Eyes, heroine of the serial "Golden Eyes" and Her Hero "Bill"? They're never described as odd or unnatural, just with terms like "butterfly gold in her eyes" and as "glinting goldenly." They're so entrancing that the author & artist Nell Brinkley forgets to give the heroine a real name.
- The female assassin "Blue Eyes" (real name Deliah) in Sin City is so named for her most noticeable physical attribute, which is usually the first thing that other characters comment on. In fact, her pretty eyes are specifically highlighted through Splash of Color.
- The Legend of Wonder Woman (2016): Steve Trevor's eyes have apparently been described as "dreamy blue agates" in the My Women's magazine and the Holiday Girls agree with the descriptor.
- Spiderman 2099: Tempest calls Miguel's red eyes "so beautiful" and that they look like the sunset. She was very drunk at the time, but they got in a relationship anyway so...
- Hetalia: Axis Powers fanfic Gankona, Unnachgiebig, Unità: Italy has eyes that are clear and beautiful. It's to the point his eyes are frequently described as "limpid brown eyes" and sometimes as "honey hues".
- Rainbow Factory ends with Scootaloo complimenting Rainbow Dash's eyes. It's much darker than it sounds. Her eyes are the only part of her that are still recognizable.
- Recursive Fanfiction Fix Fic What Rainbows Are Made Of (quoted word for word from Rainbow Factory), but this time Scootaloo's being sincere about complimenting Rainbow Dash's eyes.
The deceitful dream had completely dispersed, leaving behind nothing but these true words.
- In Diaries of a Madman, Navarone hardly has anything positive to say about any pony's appearance, but he does note that Celestia has beautiful eyes.
- Child of the Storm:
- Harry's green eyes are very significant and considered beautiful, not just because he gets them from his mother, but because they're also utterly identical to those of his second cousin, Jean Grey and are invariably what tips another character off to the fact that they're related (and in the sequel, to the fact that Maddie is a Grey relative). This connection holds the key to several mysteries about Harry and his mother who by all indications, is Not Quite Dead.
- Steve Rogers has eyes that are an oft remarked upon shade of Cornflower blue. This little hint retroactively confirms that Carol, whose eyes are the same shade, which is also oft remarked upon, is his great-granddaughter by Peggy - the eyes run in the family.
- It's explicitly mentioned that Professor Gwion Bach has eyes of a startling blue as well. This is a hint as to his true identity, Doctor Stephen Strange.
- The Bridge:
- Mothra Lea arrived in Equestria in the form of a Changeling Queen. Twilight Sparkle mistakes her for Queen Chrysalis and prepares to attack her until she looks at her eyes and finds they are appealing and kind instead of cold and cruel.
- The Albino Hyper Gyaos was nameless until Sunset Shimmer named her Irys after being captivated by her pearl-hued irises.
- The Joker admires Dr. Quinzel's eyes in The Joker Blogs.
Joker: Did anyone ever tell you that you have lovely eyes? I mean, they go well with the rest of your face. It's not like I want to pop them out of your skull and carry them on a key-chain. [long drawn-out pause] It's a compliment.
- Naruto of Naruto: The Abridged Comedy Fandub Spoof Series Show once states that Sasuke has "gorgeous eyes".
- In Yu-Gi-Oh! The Thousand Year Door, Vivian's eyes are usually hidden under the brim of her hat, as they are in the canon video game. However, when she finally confronts Lyrius in the present day, she takes it off to look him in the face, and they are revealed to be sea green and rather striking.
- In The Legend of Total Drama Island, Justin is physically perfect in just about every way, and his nigh-hypnotic eyes are no exception. The Storyteller describes them as "beckoning sapphire wells a girl could drown in if she was not careful, and maybe even if she was".
- In Shadow and Rose, Alistair observes that Elissa has remarkably lovely eyes; they're so intensely blue that he compares them to lyrium.
- Fates Collide: Astolfo asks Medusa to stop hiding behind her mask and let everyone see her pretty eyes, making her blush. She then removes her mask (she's apparently learned how to control her stone gaze).
- Lost to Dust: During their fight, Tamamo Vitch knocks Adam Taurus' mask off and stares into his good eye, calling it beautiful.
- The first thing Luna noticed about her future love Octavia in Claro de Luna was her beautiful purple eyes.
- In Fallen Angel, Amy is astounded by Sarah's unique eyes (which the fic goes into great detail on). Sarah herself hates them because they've led to bullying and because they are scarred due to her Dark and Troubled Past
- Broud's Destiny, an Earth's Children novella about the Clan after Ayla departs, has Kyani, a young Others widow who becomes Broud's mate after the murder (by her tribe) of his first mate Oga. She has black hair and violet-blue eyes — the color just runs in her family, but everyone who meets her notices her "sunset" eyes. Her daughter with Broud, also named Oga, inherits the color.
- Upon meeting Maria in Veritas Dolor, Shadow is left stunned by her Innocent Blue Eyes.
- The Red Dragon's Saber:
- Asia Argento is enthralled by Artoria Pendragon's emerald eyes.
- Issei Hyoudou and his friends think Asia's own eyes are beautiful, especially when she gives Puppy-Dog Eyes.
- In the Peter Pan fic Entrancing Wendy, Wendy repeatedly mentions that James Hook has eyes the colour of forget-me-nots.
- In Vengeance of Dawn, Laurel is said to be a rather plain-looking pony with a chalky, off-white coat and grey mane that makes her look older than her real age, but she has beautiful eyes that are a brilliant shade of blue.
- In Opalescent, Otto is enamored by Opal's muddy-brown doe eyes, stating how he sees two different shades of brown in them and remarking how they're like two brown opals. He also refers to them as "opalescent".
- Beauty and the Beast: The first thing Belle notices about Beast is his blue eyes. This is brought up again about two times later on in the movie.
- Jokingly told to Manfred by Sid in the first Ice Age movie.
Sid: You have beautiful eyes.
Manfred: Get off my face!
- Bambi's big, innocent eyes. In fact, it managed to spur the creation of the phrase "Bambi Eyes," which describes someone's eyes as being huge and innocent.
- During the song "Topsy Turvy" from The Hunchback of Notre Dame, Esmeralda, during her dance on the stage, actually turns toward the camera and winks at the viewer, providing a brief glimpse of her green eyes.
- The Last Unicorn: Amalthea, the human version of the titular unicorn, has purple eyes when she becomes human; they are seen as being extremely rare and beautiful.
- Parodied in Short Circuit 2. Benjamin attempts to use this line (on the advice of his self appointed business partner) but gets it wrong since she has brown eyes and he uses a stock line which specifically mentions blue.
- Escape from L.A.:
- The freaky Surgeon General of Beverly Hills looks deep into Snake Plissken's eye and says breathlessly: "What a beautiful blue eye - a pity there's only one..." Granted, since Snake Plissken is where Naked Snake was made an Expy from, it makes sense that this would be something they have in common.
- Hershe repeatedly calls Snake "Blue-eye" in a flirtatious tone.
- In 3:10 to Yuma (2007), Ben Wade tells this to Dan Evans' wife while flirting with her. She ends up becoming rather... bewitched by him after he says this to her, which ends with Dan pretty much coming over and getting alarmed about WTF Ben Wade is doing with his wife.
"I know a girl there. She's the daughter of a sea captain. She had the most beautiful, green eyes. The greenest eyes I ever saw. Like yours. When I stared deep into them, they'd just change color in front of me. All the colors of the sea."
- The Chronicles of Riddick: Said by Dame Vaako about Riddick's silver eyes.
- In Memoirs of a Geisha, Sayuri's eyes are what captivates many other characters. When the Chairman asked her where she got them, she explained that she got them from her mother.
- In The Crow, Myca comments to a kidnapped Sarah, "Her eyes are so innocent..." This is played for horror, as Myca has a habit of collecting people's eyes, and Sarah is a little girl.
- In Under Siege 2: Dark Territory, the villain interrogates a couple. He comments that the woman has the most beautiful eyes he has ever seen, but if they don't start talking, he will ram a red-hot needle into them without hesitation.
- Played with in Exit to Eden when Mistress Lisa and Diana are talking about Citizen Elliot. They talk about eyes, bit in reality, Mistress Lisa's paying more attention to Citizen Elliot's butt.
Mistress Lisa: Let's talk about something prettier.
Diana: He is attractive.
Mistress Lisa: Mmmm. Especially those eyes.
Diana: I wouldn't know, Mistress. I can't see his eyes.
- In Zathura, when their house flying in space picks up a stranded astronaut, the female character spends a moment or so gazing into his eyes. Then she finds out later it's her kid brother grown-up from the future. Absolute Squickapalooza.
- X-Men Film Series:
- Nightcrawler's irises were yellow in X2: X-Men United, but they are rimmed with red in X-Men: Apocalypse.
- X-Men: First Class: After Charles Xavier is shot in the spine, the glare of the Cuban sunshine shrinks his pupils, which makes his irises appear very large, and they are a stunning shade of vibrant blue, especially in close-up. His Innocent Blue Eyes are shiny and wet with tears due to the intense physical and emotional pain, and it marks the character's Break the Cutie moment.
- X-Men: Days of Future Past:
- 1973 Xavier collapses after the serum wears off, and there are a few close-ups of his eyes. The colour of his irises is quite vivid, and they fully express his mental anguish and vulnerability in that scene. It's a stark contrast from his hopeful and confident Innocent Blue Eyes in First Class.
- Blink's irises are a weird aqua, complete with a Sickly Green Glow.
- X-Men: Apocalypse: Just before Professor X enters Apocalypse's mind, the camera zooms in on the former's right eye. It's so blue that it's practically glowing, and it's wracked with pain and fear because of the grisly abuse that Apocalypse has put him through, but Charles' iris also exudes his defiance, and he's determined to fight his adversary to the bitter end.
- Atonement: James McAvoy got the part of Robbie Turner because the character is described as having eyes of optimism, and so does James, according to its director.
Joe Wright: He has his eye on a very bright horizon.
- Filth director Jon. S Baird mentions in this interview that James McAvoy had to dull the beauty of his "incredible blues" in order to keep the character of Bruce Robertson as unlikeable as possible, but there was one exception.
Interviewer: Jon, I wanted to ask you this. I mean, James [...] does have these very sympathetic eyes, and was it important for you to glaze those over in the film, and neutralize that trait of his? Because that's a trait for a lot of his good guy roles, it's something directors really lift and emphasize.
Baird: Yeah, [...] the thing about Bruce is [...] that he's an outrageous character, and the only person who sees him as a human is [...] a character called Mary, and Bruce tries to save her husband's life, and she sees him as a hero. There's a scene between them where James' blue eyes really pop out, and you see the humanity of Bruce there, and it's a beautiful image. But he managed to hide them for the rest of the film. At that moment, I don't know what it was, but he let the audience in to the humanity of the character with those incredible blues.
- The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug: There's a close-up of Thranduil's gorgeous, vivid blue eyes while he's sitting on his throne. Later, there's a blink-and-you'll-miss-it moment where his irises sparkle when he says "white gems of pure starlight" while talking to Thorin.
- The 1968 film of Romeo and Juliet made a point of underscoring this on behalf of Olivia Hussey, who played the part of Juliet. When she and Romeo first meet, we get a mind blowing close-up shot of Hussey´s bright grey eyes, to underline the point (couplet with her dark hair, which set her en par with Edith Tolkien).
- Captain Marvel (2019):
- The more we see of the Skrulls' sympathetic motives, the more the camera focuses on their wide, dark, expressive eyes, subtly enforcing this on the viewer's perspective.
- At the end, when the Skrull refugees are considering living as humans on Earth, Talos mentions that he liked wearing Director Keller's "pretty blue eyes". Monica Rambeau says that she likes the Skrulls' eyes as they are and asks Talos's daughter to never change hers.
- RRR (2022): Jenny praises Bheem's warm, expressive eyes. Unfortunately, he doesn't understand English.
- In The Dark Tower, Roland Deschain's eyes are described as preternaturally blue, clear and murderous. They're also too finely tuned to see the picture on a TV screen.
- Sayuri/Chiyo's blue-grey eyes in Memoirs of a Geisha are given a lot of focus. Many characters describe them as rather startling, that they're the first thing that captures your attention. That they're like "the color of a mirror" and that you could easily see yourself in them.
- In his novel Atonement Ian McEwan writes that Robbie Turner has eyes of optimism.
- In The Circumstances Leading to Waltraute's Marriage, Waltraute says this about Jack Elvan. He may be a scrawny kid who's never been in a fight before, but he has the eyes of a true warrior.
- In Fate/Zero, one of the things that keys Irisviel in about Lancer's identity (Diarmuid Ua Duibhne of the Love Spot) is the "impressive brilliance" of his eyes seems to be accentuated a little too well by that beauty mark of his, as if magic had some hand in it.
- Full Metal Panic!: Gauron became enamored with Sousuke initially because of his eyes. To quote Gauron: "Anyone would say they're beautiful."
- In The Giver, certain people, including Jonas and Gabe, are noted to have "pail" eyes. This appears to be related to the ability to "receive". Note that part of this community's magic is lack of color vision; and subsequent books make it clear that Jonas's eyes are blue.
- Harry Potter:
- Besides the lightning shaped scar, Harry's most notable and frequently commented on physical trait is his green eyes, which he got from his mother, Lily. Pretty much everyone remarks about it.
- In the epilogue Harry's middle child and youngest son, Albus Severus Potter, is the only one who inherits Lily's eyes.
- Harry finds Ginny's brown eyes to be very beautiful.
- Haruhi Suzumiya:
- Kyon tends to focus on Yuki Nagato's eyes at times, often saying they look like liquid helium. In the anime adaptation, no other character has so many close ups of their eyes as Yuki.
- Kyon himself, according to Kuyoh Suo. In fact, the first thing she says in the whole story is remarking on how gorgeous his eyes are. However, as she's a Humanoid Abomination with less emotional presence than a cardboard cut out, it's not clear if she even understood what she was saying, or just grabbed a random phrase she had heard someone use once.
Kyon: It was a perfectly meaningless compliment.
- In the Hurog family, a very special kind of blue-violet eyes run in the family. Every family member has them ... except Ward, the protagonist. His are plain brown. There is also a mage who is named for his impressive eyes, Jade Eyes.
- Griet's eyes from Tracy Chevalier's book Girl with a Pearl Earring appear to have an entrancing affect on a few characters, all who say something along the lines of: "You have very wide eyes." They're given a lot of attention in the book, also being described as "quite luminous", like "liquid were spilling into them". In the movie version, Scarlett Johansson plays Griet, and her bright green eyes are shown often in close up. They really are very beautiful eyes, to be honest. Justified trope in that the book is a fictional account of how this painting came to be.
- Naoe of Mirage of Blaze once comments on the shining brilliance of Kagetora's eyes.
- No6: In the novels, Shion almost cannot mention Nezumi without talking about how beautiful his stoic, grey eyes are.
- In Otherside Picnic Sorawo's encounter with the Kunekune changes her right eye from brown to a vivid shade of blue, described as being like "the deep azure of Ryukyu glass." Toriko mentions more than once that it's very pretty. It also happens to have the ability to perceive the true form of phenomenon in the Otherside, making it extremely handy when dealing with its horrific inhabitants.
- Bella makes much of Edward Cullen's eyes. They're an especially good example because they change color (gold to black) according to how HUNGRY he is... and since his vampire thirst for blood is conflated with his lust for Bella, it sometimes has to do with how turned on he is too.
- Bella is insecure about her big, beautiful, chocolate brown eyes though Edward finds them fascinating. She loses them when she becomes a vampire, but not before she passes them on to baby Nessie.
- One of the two eugenically-created breeding lines in the Lensman series (run by Sufficiently Advanced Aliens to breed the perfect human) is distinguished by their auburn hair and "gold-flecked, tawny eyes."
- In Violet Evergarden, Violet learns the word "beautiful" when trying to describe the feeling she got when looking at Gilbert's eyes.
- Darryl in the Young Wizards series has eyes so innocent that it hurts the first time you see them. Granted, he IS an abdal, and being a direct channel for The One would do that to you.
- David Munger's blue eyes in A.J. Quinnell's Snap Shot not only are described as penetrating but also are responsible of his sex appeal.
- In The Dresden Files, Harry spends a lot of time describing how ruggedly handsome Marcone is - especially his pretty eyes.
- Star Wars Legends:
- The Thrawn Trilogy:
- He's not described as beautiful, but Grand Admiral Thrawn, who is only ever portrayed through the eyes of others, gets his intimidating glowing red eyes mentioned a lot by the Imperials working under him. His eyes and blue skin, both standard for his species, set him very much apart from the almost exclusively human Empire, and they certainly don't hurt his reputation.
- From the same books we have the redhead Mara Jade. All characters that Mara comes across can't help themselves but notice her piercing green eyes.
- Flim, the Con Man who impersonates Thrawn in the Hand of Thrawn duology, mostly uses makeup, but imitates his eyes using "self-powered surface inserts". Just like with the real thing, he is never the viewpoint character and his eyes get mentioned more often than any other feature.
- In Death Star, there's a Zelosian character, a very human-looking Plant Alien with green eyes described as remarkable and gorgeous. By his love interest, admittedly.
- The Thrawn Trilogy:
- In Pride and Prejudice, Mr. Darcy slowly finds himself being more and more attracted to Elizabeth, starting with her beautiful eyes. "No sooner had he made it clear to himself and his friends that she hardly had a good feature in her face, than he began to find it was rendered uncommonly intelligent by the beautiful expression of her dark eyes." Along with mentioning them yet again in his conversation with Miss Bingley: "I have been meditating on the very great pleasure which a pair of fine eyes in the face of a pretty woman can bestow."
- Emma maintains that neither Robert Martin nor any man on Earth is good enough for sweet, tender-hearted Harriet with her beautiful soft blue eyes.
- Mrs Weston (Emma's former governess and close family friend) gushes about Emma's loveliness and her sparkling bright hazel eyes.
- Jane Fairfax's deep grey eyes with dark eyelashes are acknowledged as very beautiful.
- Mansfield Park: Miss Mary Crawford has lively dark eyes that are often described as bright and they become even brighter if Mary is animated.
- Anne from Anne of Green Gables. Countless times, her grey eyes have been described as "shining" and "glowing" through the eyes of other people. And in Gilbert's case, he immediately got a crush on her when he first saw her during her first day at school, wanting that girl with "the big eyes that weren't like the eyes of any other girl in Avonlea school" to pay him some attention instead of ignoring him.
- In The Snow Goose, Fritha is utterly ordinary except for her violet eyes. She is the only one to befriend a crippled artist.
- Subverted in Dostoevsky's The Idiot with the character of Mrs. Epanchin — "her gray, rather large eyes sometimes had a most unexpected expression. She had once had the weakness of believing that her gaze produced an extraordinary effect; that conviction remained indelible in her", and she carries on melodramatically flashing her eyes when she tries to have influence over someone.
- Lolita: Among other things, Humbert gives a lot of attention to Lolita's beautiful gray eyes.
- A Song of Ice and Fire:
- Action Girl Brienne of Tarth is infamous for being ugly... except for her gorgeous blue eyes. Unfortunately, as Jaime comments, this has the regrettable effect of throwing her ugliness into sharper relief.
- Sansa Stark's blue eyes are said to be particularly vibrant and lovely. It's summed up best in this scene...
Petyr studied her eyes, as if seeing them for the first time. "You have your mothers eyes. Honest eyes, and innocent. Blue as a sunlit sea. When you are a little older, many a man will drown in those eyes."
- The Targaryen dynasty are famous for their beautiful violet eyes, and for just being generally gorgeous.
- The Baratheons are known for exceptionally blue eyes. On the men they're powerful, piercing, commanding. On the women (notably Robert Baratheon's bastard daughter), they're beautiful.
- Garath Bryne chased after an oath breaking Siuan Sanche in The Wheel of Time, ostensibly because he wanted to know why she had broken such a strong oath, but his narration includes several references to her pretty blue eyes which suggest another reason.
- In the Song of the Lioness series (by Tamora Pierce) much attention/detail is given to Alanna's wide purple eyes.
- In the Dragon Lance: War Of Souls trilogy, Mina has amber eyes that are referenced quite often as her most striking feature.
- Several characters in Beyond the Western Sea think about how beautiful and fascinating Maura's blue eyes are.
- A Wrinkle in Time: The first time Calvin O'Keefe sees Meg Murry without her glasses, he tells her to go right on wearing them because he doesn't want anyone else to see what "dreamboat eyes" she has. The characters wind up married (although not in that specific book).
- In The Bible, Leah is described as having "weak" eyes. The word, however, may more accurately be translated as "delicate," "lovely," or "gentle," to present her greatest asset before comparing her to her younger sister Rachel.
- One Hundred Years of Solitude:
- Little Remedios has very pretty green eyes.
- One of The Seventeen Aurelianos (Aureliano Amador) has striking green eyes, contrasting with his extremely dark skin.
- The first thing that Fernanda notices when she sees Mauricio Babilonia is how he possesses deep and soulful brown eyes (which the narrative points out as a hint of him being a possible descendant of the Roma groups that often pass by Macondo.) The effect however lasts just for a second and she throws him out of the Buendia home.
- In Tales of Kolmar, Akhor the Lord of the Kantri has green eyes which aren't seen as particularly remarkable by his own Kindred, but humans find them fascinating and hypnotic - "the eyes of a dragon are perilous deep". When he becomes human at the end of the first book he keeps the eyes, and it's repeatedly remarked on that they are still startling, and can show the weight of his long life.
- A Brother's Price:
- When Jerin Whistler meets Cira /Halley, he first notices the prominent scar on her face, then the fact that without the scar she'd be very plain and unremarkable, and then she gets close enough that he meets her gaze.
"Her eyes were green, green and changing as summer wheat, one moment dark as velvet, next light as silk, with long thick dark eyelashes. Gorgeous eyes. How could he have thought her plain with such eyes?"
- Jerin Whistler apparently has beautiful eyes, too, though no Purple Prose is involved. The tailors whose job it is to bring people's attention to Jerin's more attractive features are pragmatic about it.
- When Jerin Whistler meets Cira /Halley, he first notices the prominent scar on her face, then the fact that without the scar she'd be very plain and unremarkable, and then she gets close enough that he meets her gaze.
- The Princess Bride:
- The Princess of Guilder is described as having unusually lovely eyes—one blue, one green.
- Buttercup tells Westley his eyes are like the sea before a storm when declaring her love for him. (In the film, she describes them as being like the sea after a storm.)
- In The Mortal Instruments, Magnus is very drawn to Alec's blue eyes.
- In The Doctrine of Labyrinths, Felix is an all-around Pretty Boy, but what really turns people on is his exotic eyes: one yellow, one pale blue.
- In The Mill on the Floss, Phillip Wakem is enamoured of Maggie Tulliver's eyes from childhood, when he remarks, "They're not like any other eyes. They seem trying to speak—trying to speak kindly."
- My Ántonia:
- Ántonia is a natural beauty and has beautiful brown eyes. Narrator Jim describes her eyes as "big and warm and full of light, like the sun shining on brown pools in the wood".
- Lena has deep violet eyes very unusual colour, and Jim mentions them from time to time. She's a Dude Magnet with a touch of exotic, Scandinavian beauty.
- The Infernal Devices:
- Will Herondale's dark blue eyes are one of his most striking features.
- Cecily Herondale has dark blue eyes like her brother.
- In "The Surgeon", the first book in the Rizzoli & Isles series, Rizzoli's partner notices this about her. It's almost a relief to the reader, who has been subjected to almost relentless descriptions of her as "plain" and her equally relentless dislike of beautiful women, to hear that she has at least one positive physical attribute.
- In Divergent, Tris' blue eyes are said to be her best feature, contrast sharply with the rest of her plain self.
- In Eva Luna, Eva is rather plain-looking save for her bright, almost gold-yellow eyes that she inherited from her Disappeared Dad, a native man who had exactly the same eye color. Her on and off boyfriend Huberto says that he recognized her after years and in the middle of a multitude thanks to said eyes.
- In the Ed McBain Matthew Hope novel Cinderella, the title character - a prostitute on the run who's stolen a gold Rolex (and given the owner an STD) and a load of cocaine - is noted for her striking eyes. They prove to be her downfall at the very end of the book - although she changes her appearance, the brother of the Rolex's owner (one of several people looking for her) recognises her when he looks into her eyes. We don't see what happens next, but it ain't likely to be pretty.
- Simon's eyes in Lord of the Flies are described as "so bright they had deceived Ralph into thinking him delightfully gay and wicked."
- Percy Jackson and the Olympians:
- Sally has eyes that are considered major draws. They have Inconsistent Coloring, favoring blue.
- Percy's eyes are a striking sea green, considered very beautiful.
- One of Annabeth's most frequently mentioned features is her gray eyes. Percy's inner monologue constantly describe them as 'stormy, intimidating and beautiful'.
- The Honorverse's Eloise Pritchart has beautiful eyes the color of Imperial topaz, which are repeatedly made much of in the narration.
- In The Red Tent, Leah is described as having one blue eye and one green eye, which cause her to be dismissed by most people outside of her immediate family as a "freak."
- Lady Alanna the Lioness of the Tortall Universe is described as having "extraordinary" vibrant purple eyes, though she is otherwise noted to not be particularly beautiful, merely reasonably pretty.
- The Vita Nuova makes note that one can see the perfect image of Love in Beatrice's eyes. What that means in practice is that no one who sees her gaze at her can resist the spirits of love from moving their hearts.
- A few Warrior Cats characters are noted for having particularly striking eye colours:
- The ancient she-cat named Greeneyes had shockingly green eyes.
- Willowpelt has "unusual blue eyes", however what's so unusual about them is never clarified.
- In The Sight, Lionpaw takes special note of Heatherpaw's very pretty "heather-colored" eyes: he can't help but stare the first time they meet, and later on when he thinks about her he remembers her eyes.
- Tomcat Blue Eyes' Diaries: Friendly tomcat Blue Eyes admires a horse's dark eyes although he notes that they are extremely sad. He later finds out why. It's because horses must serve humans and their work is unspeakably tough. Sweet Blue Eyes is so mesmerized with the horse's sad beautiful eyes that he tries to set the horse free, but he doesn't succeed and the horse's master strikes Blue Eyes with a whip.
- In Rene Barjavel's The Ice People (La Nuit de Temps) Elea, who was frozen 900,000 years ago and revived in the 1970s, has vivid blue eyes with gold flecks. People notice, both in her own era and in modern times. When in her own time an APB is sent out for her, the projected image of her face focuses on her eyes and the words are "You may recognize her by her unusual eyes."
- In Hetty Feather, Hetty is described as having 'Sapphire blue' eyes, which she makes no problem mentioning, and having others around her compliment her for.
- Used platonically in The Art of Being Normal. When they meet, Kate monologues that Leo's eyes are "beautiful, hypnotic, like looking through a kaleidoscope almost—sea green with amber flecks around the pupils".
- In Shadow of the Conqueror, Daylen notes this about Sharra the first time he meets her. He might have a preference for blue eyes in particular, given that it's color he chose for his legendary sword and the fact that one of the girls in his "harem" nearly thirty years also has blue eyes.
- Jane Eyre: Jane mentally tortures herself by asking Mrs Fairfax about her Privileged Rival, the beautiful Blanche Ingram. One of the things mentioned is that Blanche has large and black eyes, as brilliant as her jewels.
- The Machineries of Empire:
- The Nirai technician in Ninefox Gambit is described as having exceptionally beautiful eyes that even attract Kel Cheris, who's not normally interested in men. It Foreshadows that he is really Kujen, the Immortal Ruler of the Nirai faction, whose latest Meat Puppet's "wickedly gorgeous" eyes are mentioned soon before.
- Inverted with Hexarch Rahal Iruja, who "would have been beautiful if not for the severity of her eyes, the absolute lack of humor."
- In The Secret Garden, Colin is described as having unusual large, gray eyes, which he inherited from his dead mother. For her they were described as lovely; Colin's attitude ruins the effect, until he gets Character Development. One of the reasons that his father rarely visits him, and then usually when he's asleep, is because his eyes remind him of his dead wife, and it hurts to see them looking miserable.
- Mercedes Lackey's Firebird: The Firebird has strikingly blue eyes, which look human even when she changes into a bird.
- One episode of Criminal Minds had an eye-removing killer, after being arrested, give a very creepy compliment to JJ (AJ Cook) about how beautiful her eyes are.
- Since Clare's main change in Season 10 of Degrassi was losing her glasses, most compliments to her have had to do with her eyes. First from Alli when Clare was thinking about getting the eye surgery, later that same story her first meeting with future boyfriend Eli was punctuated with him telling her that "she had pretty eyes." Fiona uses the same line when she shows up drunk to lunch with Clare. Aislinn Paul has very distinctive blue eyes.
- Suzanne Sugarbaker (Delta Burke) of Designing Women has deep blue eyes with a catlike shape to them.
- The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power: There are a lot of close ups of Galadriel's vivid blue eyes. This is especially notable in the Mind Rape scene between Galadriel and Sauron in the season one finale where her eyes are given particular focus and appear almost inhumanly blue. This may be because were actually seeing Galadriel from Saurons point of view, as a being of pure light in contrast to his own darkness.
- Parodied in The Suite Life of Zack & Cody when Cody is dating a French girl, with Mr. Moseby as his translator. They're at a loud club, and Cody tells Mr. Moseby to tell his date that her eyes are beautiful. He can't hear, so Cody says it again. Mr. Moseby still can't hear, so Cody says, with the entire club watching, "YOUR EYES ARE BEAUTIFUL!!" Being the Deadpan Snarker he is, Mr. Moseby reacts as so...
Mr. Moseby: Why, thank you. I like your sweater!
- In Wizards of Waverly Place, Harper (that is in Alex's body and has a huge crush on Justin) tells Justin that she might faint because he is staring at her with those eyes.
- In the Haven episode "Fear & Loathing", Jackie Clark's Trouble is that anybody who looks at her sees their greatest fear instead of her, which she can't turn off and absolutely hates. At the end, when she is cured, Nathan looks at her and says, "You have beautiful eyes."
- In Doctor Who, companion Clara Oswald's most striking physical feature is her large, soulful eyes that often appear to get even larger when she is emotional. This fact is directly referenced on screen by the Doctor himself who goes from being somewhat disturbed by this in Series 8, to admiring them in Series 9.
- Supernatural: Abaddon compliments Dean's "pretty green eyes" in "Clip Show" (when planning to tear them out, mind you).
- Orange Is the New Black: Alex, Piper's on/off girlfriend, refers to Piper as having "Bambi" like eyes.
- Alisa, the heroine of Guest from the Future, has stunning◊ blue eyes◊ that fascinated many a viewer. These really are the eyes of the actress Natalia Guseva.
- Arrow. When Thea Queen goes to fetch her boyfriend Roy Harper from the police station, she makes a point of mentioning his "piercing blue eyes" when describing him. One gets the impression she didn't track Roy down just to get back the purse he snatched from her.
- Modern Family has Haley Dunphy, who has many men commenting on her eyes. Being played by Sarah Hyland helps.
- The Vampire Diaries: Katherine has twice commented on how she finds Matt's blue eyes beautiful.
- The Boys: The first thing Stormfront notices about Homelander are his intense blue eyes (probably because, along with his blond hair, they fit into her ideal of an Aryan).
- The Beatles' song "Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds" from Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band has the protagonist follow a "girl with kaleidoscope eyes".
- Taylor Swift:
- "Beautiful Eyes". The narrator repeatedly calls the eyes beautiful and says she'll dream about them.
- "Teardrops On My Guitar": The narrator mentions that she hopes the girl Drew likes "Look[s] in those beautiful eyes and know[s] she's lucky..."
- The very first line of "Stay Beautiful" likens a boy's eyes to a jungle. "Cory's eyes are like a jungle."
- One of the things mentioned in "Gorgeous" is "Ocean blue eyes... looking at mine... I think I might sink and drown and die..."
- "gold rush" has these lines:
Eyes like sinking ships
On waters so inviting
I almost jump in
- LeAnn Rimes, "Light In Your Eyes." While most of her other songs don't actually use the trope, they well imply such.
- Zig Zagged by Elton John's "Your Song": "You see I've forgotten if they're green or they're blue" but "those are the sweetest eyes I've ever seen"
- The song "If You Say My Eyes Are Beautiful", a duet by Jermaine Jackson and Whitney Houston, implies this between two lovers.
- "Beautiful Eyes" by Glenn Lewis. As a matter of fact, he repeats the title innumerable times throughout the song. The narrator says that the beautiful eyes hypnotize him, and make him cry every time he sees them.
- "In Your Eyes" by Peter Gabriel; the pure, untainted emotion version: "In your eyes/The light, the heat/In your eyes/I am complete..."
- The song "Pretty Green Eyes" by Ultrabeat, which describes them both as full of "sparkle and light" and "wonder and despair".
- Céline Dion's song "Falling Into You": "In your eyes/I see ribbons of color/I see us/Inside of each other..."
- "Prettiest Eyes" by The Beautiful South, the untainted emotion version. In it, the singer recounts his decades-long relationship with his lover, and that, even as wrinkles have started to form around them, her eyes are still the prettiest to him.
- "Sparkle" by Cameo: "When I first saw you/You Had sparkle in your eyes/Like the stars at night/In the sky..."
- The Avenged Sevenfold song "Save Me" has the lines, "A moment seen through those eyes, crystal blue disguise" that describe Jimmy Sullivan's eyes, and is a Tear Jerker because the song is also written in his memory. Jimmy is also known for having beautiful, blue eyes by fans.
- "Jeepers Creepers" by Louis Armstrong and several others.
Jeepers creepers, where'd ya get those peepers?
Jeepers creepers, where'd ya get those eyes?
Gosh all git up, how'd they get so lit up?
Gosh all git up, how'd they get that size?
- The famous song "Piel Canela" by Puerto Rican singer Bobby Capó, about a girl with striking black eyes.
Let the infinite be left without stars
Or let the wide sea lose its immensity
But don't let the black of your eyes die
And let your cinnamon skin stay the same.
- "Bette Davis Eyes" by Kim Carnes is about a woman whose eyes are like those of glamorous film icon Bette Davis. The song eventually got a cover, by Marc Moreland.
- "Her Eyes Are A Blue Million Miles" by Captain Beefheart from "Clear Spot".
I look at her and she looks at me
In her eyes I see the sea
I don't know what she sees in a man like me
But she says she loves me
Her eyes are a blue million miles
- "Your Eyes Are Like A Cup Of Tea" from Brian Jones Presents the Pipes of Pan at Jajouka' by Brian Jones, though it's all sang in Moroccan.
- "Them There Eyes", a jazz standard most associated with Billie Holiday.
I fell in love with you the first time I looked into
Them There Eyes
And you have a certain lil cute way of flirtin'
With Them There Eyes...
- "Are Your Eyes Still Blue" by Shane McAnally has the narrator wondering about the whereabouts of an old flame. He has heard from others about how every other aspect of her life has changed, but wants to know if her eyes are still blue:
Are your eyes still blue?
I still remember how they used to shine
Or did that change too
After the day you said goodbye?
You did what you had to do
(Out with the old, in with the new)
If I saw you, would I even know it's you
Are your eyes still blue?
- Jeannette's song "El muchacho de los ojos tristes" ("The boy with the sad eyes") is about a woman who's intrigued by the sadness in a young man's beautiful eyes, and wants to be the Gentle Girl to his Brooding Boy so his glance will be brighter and prettier.
- "Pale Blue Eyes", song by Velvet Underground: The singer is almost obsessed with his lover's pale blue eyes and appears to put her on a pedestal, although she's actually married and cheats on her husband.
Linger on your pale blue eyes
Linger on your pale blue eyes
- "ocean eyes" by Billie Eilish:
I've been watching you
For some time
Can't stop staring
At those ocean eyes
And napalm skies
Fifteen flares inside those ocean eyes
Your ocean eyes
- Eminem is known for having striking, pretty eyes, which contrast perfectly with the horrible shock content that makes up the majority of his work. He boasts about it in his songs:
From the first album even the gals were like, "Tight lyrics, dreamy eyes!"
But my fuckin' mouth was nightmarish
- Celtic Mythology: Deirdre of the Sorrows: Her future beauty is prophesied by the druid Cathbad to include "twisted reddish-golden tresses, mesmerizing grey-green eyes, and cheeks flushed like foxglove".
- Classical Mythology: Goddess Hera (Juno) has dark and large eyes. Epithets like cow-eyed, ox-eyed or sloe-eyed are used often to describe her gorgeous eyes.
- There is a lot of emphasis on Athena's gray eyes when she appears, her epithets calling them especially bright and gleaming.
- Forgotten Realms:
- Drizzt Do'Urden's purple eyes fascinate others from the moment of his birth, including his sister, who gets a little too fascinated. They remain one of his most distinctive and remarked-upon traits; even when he's disguised as a surface elf, his eyes stay the same colour.
- An extra drow example would be Liriel Baenre, whose golden/amber eyes are commented upon - she even catches a ball of faerie fire and turns it a matching colour for fun as a child, to her father's surprise.
- The Legend of Zelda: Link clearly has very beautiful blue eyes to match his bishōnen appearance. Particular mentions include:
- Telma has some fascination with Link's eyes in The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, as she lets Ilia know.
Telma: This swordsman of ours has great eyes, honey. They're proud and wild...like a feral beast.
- In The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, you can find an entry in Paya's diary where she vents about constantly getting distracted by Link's eyes.
Paya: I blame his beautiful blue eyes. Ugh.
- Zelda appears to crush on them too. During the memory scene of her Rescue Romance, she is intently staring at Link's eyes as he intimidates the Yiga assassins to leave her alone.
- Telma has some fascination with Link's eyes in The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, as she lets Ilia know.
- Final Fantasy:
- Final Fantasy VII:
- Cloud Strife. He's well known for having vivid blue eyes (which glow aqua-green because of his being injected with Mako). These Mako eyes are apparently also bewitching for men. As noted by one of Corneo's rapist lackeys that went chasing Cloud (in drag):
Lackey: "Oh, your eyes. They seem to... glow. I'm all yours, baby!"
- There's Zack Fair, whose eyes literally glow blue. In particular, Aerith at one point describes them as "wide and beautiful like the sky".
- The Glowing eye thing is something that all members of SOLDIER have as a byproduct of the procedures that gave them their superhuman abilities. Sephiroth has 'em too, but it just makes him look more creepy.
- Cloud Strife. He's well known for having vivid blue eyes (which glow aqua-green because of his being injected with Mako). These Mako eyes are apparently also bewitching for men. As noted by one of Corneo's rapist lackeys that went chasing Cloud (in drag):
- Final Fantasy VII Remake:
- Barret wears Cool Shades for most of the game, even in scenes taking place in the dark, because his eyes are so brimming with kindness and beauty that it is impossible for him to look intimidating without covering them up. Considering he is a musclebound hulk with a gun attached to the end of one of his arms, this should give some idea of how gorgeous his eyes are. He takes the glasses off in scenes where we have to see Beneath the Mask, such as when he's having an emotional breakdown after the collapse of the Sector 7 Plate or taking care of his daughter Marlene.
- Cloud has huge blue eyes with a vivid neon green flare around the pupil that looks unnaturally bright, because the magic treatments that gave him his impossible strength also gave him glowing Occult Blue Eyes. Jessie and Aerith both find them beautiful and comment on them. Tifa, who remembers what his natural eye color was, instead finds them disturbing and creepy.
- Laguna from Final Fantasy VIII. Julia even comes out and tells him: "You have beautiful eyes. Don't worry, I'm not going to pluck 'em and eat 'em." There's a reason that the love song he inspired her to write is called "Eyes on Me".
- Yuna from Final Fantasy X has heterochromatic eyes; one blue and one green. This is implied to be a trait of her being a child of an interracial couple note . There are many close-ups of her eyes throughout X and X-2 and during a battle, Seymour even remarked that her eyes "burn with passion".
- Final Fantasy VII:
- Metal Gear:
- In Metal Gear Solid, Snake claims he knew instantly that Meryl wasn't a Genome Soldier because of her "beautiful, compassionate" eyes. Meryl just assumes he's hitting on her, which he denies.
- Big Boss (Naked Snake) from Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater, who has intense, aqua eyes◊. Brought up in-game by Volgin, who angrily orders The Boss to blind him. "Cut out his eyes! I don't like those blue eyes of his. There is nothing more important to a soldier than his eyes." The fact that Volgin notices that Big Boss' eyes are such an asset (to the point that he knows it would be the ultimate torture to take it away) says something. As does everyone else's horrified reactions to it.
- Metal Gear Solid 4:
- Naomi persuades Otacon to stop wearing his glasses because without them he 'looks handsome'. This at first appears to be part of her scheme of manipulating him to reduce his awareness so she can do her job and disappear, but the closest she comes to apologising for this scheme or saying she loves him is when she tells him that he has the most beautiful eyes she's ever seen.
- In the novelisation, Otacon comments that, as clearly old as she is, the beauty of Big Mama's eyes couldn't have dulled at all since her twenties.
- Spoofed in Mask of the Betrayer. When half-Celestial Kaelyn joins your party, resident The Casanova/gigantic fop Gannayev starts gushing about her eyes...because they're reflective, so he can see how pretty he is.
- Fire Emblem:
- One of the reasons why General Valter is obsessed with Princess Eirika in Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones are her gorgeous eyes full of spirit and defiance.
- In Fire Emblem: The Blazing Blade, General Wallace decides to join Lyn on her quest to overthrow her usurper grand-uncle because her eyes are clear and free of deceit.
- Many characters have commented on how beautiful eyes Atsuki have in Lux-Pain.
- Arthur the protagonist of Red Dead Redemption II has a pair of beautiful blue eyes that can have a bit of a green hue depending on the lighting. A bartender at one of the in game saloons can tell him that they're "fascinating".
- Dragon Age: Origins: In the first game, a romanced Zevran will mention in a party banter with Morrigan that a female Warden has lovely eyes (and a male Warden has "strong hands").
- Dragon Age II:
- According to Isabela, Fenris has pretty eyes. The compliment is rather spoiled when she follows it up by saying she'd like to wear them on a necklace.
- "You have pretty eyes" is Isabela's way of deflecting conversation when it goes in a direction she doesn't want. It gets used against her by Hawke when she's complaining about Gamlen hitting on her.
- Noel from BlazBlue has very large, pretty green ones, and they earn her quite a few compliments too. Including one from Hazama.
- In Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time, Farah will say something along this line if you look at her in first-person view while in the elevator.
- Elizabeth of BioShock Infinite has a pair of large, strikingly blue eyes that at times stare right into your soul.
- Mass Effect 2:
- Samara has some intensely bright blue eyes, and a lot of her conversations have shots of some close up looks at her face so you get some long looks at them.
- While we never see her in the flesh, Thane repeatedly flashes back to his first encounter with his late wife, and a constant memory is her "sunset eyes".
- Disco Elysium:
- You may have them - when your character finds a photograph of himself in his 30s, he notes how clear and charming the eyes look. Ancient Reptilian Brain also comments on your 'blue eyes'.
- Lely, the murder victim, had gorgeously beautiful blue eyes despite having a mutilated face due to a war wound. Klaasje found them sexy, and Lely's brother Korty concurs, saying it was 'like someone fucked up and put a baby's eyes on a grown man' and that they made him extremely popular with 'bitches'.
- In Kohaku's route of Tsukihime when Akiha goes yandere, Shiki has to fight her to save Kohaku and uses his Mystic Eyes of Death Perception on her. Her reaction? "What beautiful... blue eyes." Which is actually rather disturbing, since when almost anyone else sees his eyes they're terrified. Which is understandable, because they look pretty much evil.
- Katawa Shoujo:
- Rin has lovely green eyes, according to Hisao. In his own words:
"She is not particularly pretty except for her murky green eyes which...don't reflect the sunlight at all, but instead absorb all of it within them like deep wells."
- Shizune has pretty eyes, described as "deep and alluring blue eyes".
- Rin has lovely green eyes, according to Hisao. In his own words:
- Fate/stay night:
- Ilya's red eyes often get loving descriptions.
- Rider's eyes are described as "unnaturally beautiful". This one comes with a couple of caveats: first, they're not technically her eyes, but a couple of magic gemstones occupying her eye sockets. Second, if you're actually able to see them, you're about to be Taken for Granite. There's a reason Medusa wears a magic blindfold called Gorgon Breaker.
- Togainu no Chi: Akira's eyes. Rin especially seems to like Akira's eyes but he has also gotten comments from others. Shiki likes Akira's eyes as well.
- The gods of the zodiac in Star-Crossed Myth are very taken by the protagonist's eyes, which they describe as having stars in them.
- The first thing that Tyrna notices about Gavin in Sword Daughter is that he has "the most beautiful violet eyes [she's] ever seen."
- In Shall We Date?: Ninja Shadow, if Eduard is the chosen boyfriend, the Player Character Saori will immediately notice how gorgeous his purple eyes are.
- In Piofiore no Bansho, Lili often spends much time mesmerized and admiring how beautiful the eyes of certain love interests are. Of note, she comments how Dante's blue eyes resemble the Adriatic ocean and how Yang's golden eyes are bewitching.
- Barok van Ziek's first words to Ryunosuke in The Great Ace Attorney are an unsettling compliment on his eyes, which he compares to those of a terrified lamb. Van Zieks later confesses that he's actually fixated on them because they remind of the eyes of his much-beloved deceased brother... and those of the man who killed him.
- RWBY: Ruby has very large silver eyes that hold a special power capable of defeating Grimm. This power is shown by her eyes shining, which makes them appear entrancing. A lot of people comment on the marvel of her silver eyes, and the first time Oscar meets her he's taken back and can only comment "You...have silver eyes..." while staring at her in wonder.
- Star Wars: Galaxy of Creatures: In the episode "Bantha", it is revealed that Banthas, underneath their bangs, have eyes beautiful enough to put Aree in a daze.
- In an early page of Powerpuff Girls Doujinshi, Blossom bumps into Dexter in the hallway at school, knocking off his glasses to reveal his beautiful blue eyes. She subsequently becomes Distracted by the Sexy.
- In Sinfest, one of the things that makes Criminy so attractive to Fuchsia besides his gentle disposition is that he has "pretty brown eyes".
- Girl Genius: Othar Tryggvassen, GENTLEMAN ADVENTURER!, goes from an intimidating Genius Bruiser to a (rather bulky) Bishounen simply by removing his visor.
- In El Goonish Shive, Tedd's eyes are apparently quite beautiful if Tony's reaction after seeing his form without his glasses is any indication.
- Iriana in Ilivais X gets this often. Considering they shift through a swirl of pretty much every color and change to a fixed color when in a strong mood, it's reasonable to see why.
- The Nostalgia Critic's huge blue-green eyes. Lampshaded by the Moulin Rouge! review bloopers.
Lindsay: [very close and very horny] Your eyes are so blue!
Doug: I know. I just look at you and...
- The SCP Foundation tale His Kind Eyes plays this trope for drama and horror. The eyes in question belong to 087.
- Family Guy: In the episode "Peter-assment" Peter wears contacts to work after his glasses break and his boss is shown looking at him in astonishment saying "I can see your eyes, and your eyelashes. They're beautiful!"
- Pontoffel Pock, Where Are You?: The entire reason Pontoffel falls for Neefa Feefa is her "winkin' blinkin' eyes".
- A wolf-like creature in the first chapter of Over the Garden Wall possesses wide, multicolored eyes not unlike the ones in the page image... and otherwise resembles a hairy, slavering monster. Says Greg, panicked, upon seeing it for the first time at close range: "You have beautiful eyes!"
- Perhaps parodied in Centaurworld — in "The Ballad of Guskin the Gophertaur", it's mentioned people "fall in love with his beautiful gophertaur eyes". Said eyes are comically small and beady, but still shiny and with long eyelashes.
- Total Drama: One of Alejandro's many devilish charms is his striking green eyes. In fact, "Look into my eyes and try to deny me" is a legitimate strategy for him. He uses this tactic on Gwen early in All Stars and gets her swooning, despite the fact that she knows he can't be trusted.
- Alexis Bledel◊, Her eyes are one of the few things in colour◊ in Sin City because the director liked them and insisted.
- Elijah Wood:
- Many fans asked WETA how they digitally enhanced Elijah Wood's◊ eyes◊ in The Lord of the Rings. They responded, "We didn't".
- Dominic Monaghan pranked Elijah by conducting a satellite interview posing as a German talk show host. Several times he discusses Elijah's big blue eyes, culminating with, "You have very big eyes, big blue eyes. Do you think this is the reason why you're successful?"
- On the Fellowship cast commentary, Sean Astin brings up how his daughter was completely fascinated by Wood's eyes when they first met. The documentary features then go into the Irony that Wood may have those big beautiful eyes, but is virtually blind without corrective lenses.
- Saoirse Ronan has memorably striking pale blue eyes◊, which are usually heavily focused on by the cinematography in her film roles. The Grand Budapest Hotel, for instance, featured a close up facial shot of her staring directly into the camera, surrounded by swirling lights that lit up her eyes from different angles.
- Paul Newman. Allegedly, the film version of Cat on a Hot Tin Roof was made in color because of his (and Elizabeth Taylor's) famous eyes. There's even a song titled, "I Wish I Had Paul Newman's Eyes."
- Much of the world had this reaction to National Geographic's famous "Afghan Girl" photo.
- One contemporary of Alexander Hamilton stated that "These [Hamiltons eyes] were of deep azure, eminently beautiful, without the slightest trace of hardness or severity, and beamed with higher expressions of intelligence and discernment than any others that I ever saw "
- Elizabeth Taylor was known for her violet eyes and was rather commented about it during life and after her passing. Taylor also had a genetic anomaly that gave her a double set of eyelashes, which drew even more attention to her eyes.
- Bette Davis◊ was known for having beautiful eyes. There's even a song about them.
- Amanda Seyfried has very big green eyes that dominate her face. Tina Fey even said she had "Bette Davis eyes" in the directors commentry for Mean Girls. Several different film reviewers have gone further and stated she has "Anime eyes."
- Almost everybody who met T. E. Lawrence in person remarked how attractive he was in general and how beautiful his eyes were in particular. Fittingly, he is portrayed by Peter O'Toole in the biopic.
- British actor Jamie Bamber has gorgeous blue eyes that have become a major trait of every character he's played. To the point where when his Law & Order: UK character Matt Devlin was shot and killed, they were the last we saw of him
- Cillian Murphy has◊ piercing blue eyes.
- Batman Begins director Christopher Nolan outright admitted that he kept trying to invent excuses for him to take his glasses off in close-ups.
- Sunshine features many close-up shots of his eyes, especially the scenes when he's in a space suit so his eyes are literally the only thing you see from him.
- Then there is British actor Benedict Cumberbatch, whose eye color can go◊ from green to blue to gray, depending on the lighting. It helps that he actually does have sectoral heterochromia (where a section of the iris is a different color from the rest), so his eyes are naturally blue and green.
- Travis Fimmel (star of Vikings and formerly a Calvin Klein underwear model) has such intensely blue eyes◊ that many scenes are built around close-ups of them.
- Daniel Craig is widely known for his piercing blue gaze◊, something which got no shortage of closeups in Casino Royale (2006). In fact, some fans protested his casting as Bond at first because his eyes were considered too pretty for the character (who is supposed to have cold, dark, unfeeling eyes.) The Bond PTB ultimately lampshaded the derision in his final film, with him almost immediately noticing that his love interest Madeleine's daughter Mathilde has blue eyes, contradicting her claim that "She's not yours." She apparently meant this symbolically, as her final words to him are to tell him "She does have your eyes", to which his last words are to respond "I know."
- Sterling Beaumon is known for his intense stare, particularly in Lost where it was further amplified by his character's thick glasses.
- One of James McAvoy's most striking features are his bright, baby blue◊ irises. Coupled with his youthful, Pretty Boy looks, they naturally evoke the Innocent Blue Eyes trope, so he is often type cast as the Wide-Eyed Idealist. His baby blues were also acknowledged by InStyle magazine with the title, James McAvoy May Have a Filthy Mouth, But All We Can Focus on Are His Soulful Blue Eyes
"The movie-star blue eyes, however, command your attention the way a forehead tattoo might. They light up to punctuate profanities (every other word) and stay lit when he makes fun of you for being so skittish."
- Cody Linley◊ has unusual silver-green eyes that are downright animalistic at times. Unsurprisingly, he has played a feral child and is often cast as the Determinator.
- Aaron Paul has soulful,◊ crystaline◊ blue◊ Puppy-Dog Eyes, a fact that's even pointed out by a minor character on Breaking Bad.
- Alexandra Daddario. Zac Efron is one of many bowled over by her amazingly blue eyes.
- Efron, himself, has amazing big blue eyes.
- Ana de Armas is known for her unique and unforgettable golden eyes (not golden as in greenish-yellow, as in actually yellow like Commander Data's.) Like the Elijah Wood example above, (since green eyes are a sign of being a Replicant, and because she plays a holographic character) many fans of Blade Runner 2049 assumed that her eyes were digitally edited. They weren't.
- Henry Cavill has a set of magnificent◊ blue eyes. Is it any wonder he was picked to play Superman?
- Chloë Sevigny has gorgeous, hypnotic eyes that light up especially when she smiles.
- Clark Gregg, aka the MCU's Agent Phil Coulson◊, if the number of fanfics which stop dead to rhapsodise over said eyes are any indication.
- Roger Taylor of Queen, known for his huge, round, heavy-lidded blue eyes◊ with lashes that, in their day, could have set a Guinness world record for length and volume.
- Florence Welch has intensely expressive blue-green eyes◊ that shift colors in different lighting. Especially striking against the bright red hair.
- Grand Duchess Maria Nikolaevna "Marie" Romanova (yes, Anastasia's sister) had a beautiful pair◊ of bright blue eyes known among her family as "Marie's saucers".
- Tom Hiddleston◊. During an interview for the movie War Horse, Love Actually director Richard Curtis commented that his eyes are so piercing that Jeremy Irvine started crying in the scene where Nicholls buys Joey just to "distract people from the blueness." Even more intensified when he has black hair, for example when he plays Loki◊.
- Mila Kunis is an all-around gorgeous woman, but her eyes are often her most striking feature. One of her eyes is green and the other hazel (this is called (complete) heterochromia).
- Kurt Cobain of Nirvana was known for having beautiful◊ blue eyes which happened to be part of his attractive appeal. Daughter Frances Bean Cobain inherited them due to Strong Family Resemblance.
- Neil Young had dark brown hair as a young man (it's silver now) but his eyes are a surprising sea-blue. Fans who have met him remark on their beauty.
- Adolf Hitler (yes, really) was noted to have "hypnotic" blue eyes. As we all know, his nice eyes did not reflect his nature.
- Vera Farmiga's eyes are an absolutely heartstopping◊ shade of blue.
- Canadian model and actress Julia Voth, best known for being the character model for Jill Valentine in Resident Evil Remake and Resident Evil 5, has an absolutely stunning pair of blue eyes.
- Jenna Coleman's large, expressive eyes are not only a notable feature in real life, but in Doctor Who her character's eyes are often referenced in dialogue, with a Running Gag established in Series 8 about how they disturb the Doctor and in Series 9 the Doctor refers to them as the trait that impacts him the most. Jenna and her stylists are not oblivious to her eyes' appeal as she often wears make-up that emphasizes them.