Scootaloo is about to take her final exam at the Flight Academy. Nervous about failing, she has a horrific nightmare about the Rainbow Factory. But her friend Orion reassures her, and she aces her exam. Eventually, Rainbow Dash invites her to the Factory for real; she is even asked to take part in the rainbow-making process. But she has nothing to fear — the procedure is based on The Power of Love.
The story is a re-write of the infamous grimdark story, Rainbow Factory.
A live reading can be found here.
This story contains examples of the following tropes:
- All Just a Dream: Both Rainbow Factory and Cupcakes (Scootaloo and Rainbow Dash's nightmare, respectively).
- As You Know: An instructor explaining the flight exam.
- Audience Surrogate: Scootaloo's worries about the rainbow-making procedure mirror the reader's fear that the story might turn evil.
- Fix Fic
- Ironic Echo: Lots, the lyrics from the rainbow factory song and What Beautiful Eyes! are just two examples.
- Lampshade Hanging:
- Scootaloo and Orion meet at a staircase of the Flight Academy.For some reason, stairways werent very popular in the Flight Academy, so the place seemed secluded enough.
- Also, the absurdity of the Rainbow Factory story / nightmare gets pointed out.
- Scootaloo and Orion meet at a staircase of the Flight Academy.
- Lethal Chef: Pinkie Pie's "baked bads" — more specifically, a bad batch of cupcakes — were apparently responsible for Rainbow Dash's nightmare (as well as making her sick for a week).
- Post-Victory Collapse
- The Power of Love
- Song Fic
- Take That! / Who Writes This Crap?!: Aimed at Rainbow Factory and Cupcakes, two notorious "grimdark" stories.Rainbow Dash: Whoever dreams up these nightmares, that pony must be really crazy.
- What Beautiful Eyes!: Just like Rainbow Factory, the story ends with Scootaloo telling Rainbow Dash that she has beautiful eyes.The deceitful dream had completely dispersed, leaving behind nothing but these true words.