Scootaloo is about to take her final exam at the Flight Academy. Nervous about failing, she has a horrific nightmare about the Rainbow Factory. However, with a little reassurance from her friend Orion, she aces her exam. Eventually, Rainbow Dash invites her to the Factory for real; she's even asked to take part in the rainbow-making process. Fortunately, Scootaloo has nothing to fear.
The story is a re-write of Rainbow Factory, an infamous grimdark story.
A live reading can be found here.
This story contains examples of the following tropes:
- All Just a Dream: Both Rainbow Factory and Cupcakes (Scootaloo and Rainbow Dash's nightmare, respectively).
- As You Know: An instructor explaining the flight exam.
- Audience Surrogate: Scootaloo's worries about the rainbow-making procedure mirror the reader's fear that the story might turn evil.
- Fix Fic
- Ironic Echo: Lots, the lyrics from the Rainbow Factory song and Scootaloo's comment on Rainbow Dash's eyes are just two examples.
- Lampshade Hanging:
- When Scootaloo and Orion meet at a staircase in the Flight Academy:For some reason, stairways weren't very popular in the Flight Academy, so the place seemed secluded enough.
- Also, the absurdity of the Rainbow Factory story (in the form of Scootaloo's nightmare) gets pointed out.
- When Scootaloo and Orion meet at a staircase in the Flight Academy:
- Lethal Chef: Pinkie Pie's "baked bads"— more specifically, a bad batch of cupcakes— were apparently responsible for Rainbow Dash's nightmare (as well as making her sick for a week).
- Post-Victory Collapse
- The Power of Love
- Song Fic
- Take That!: Aimed at Rainbow Factory and Cupcakes, two notorious "grimdark" stories.Rainbow Dash: Whoever dreams up these nightmares, that pony must be really crazy.
- What Beautiful Eyes!: Just like Rainbow Factory, the story ends with Scootaloo telling Rainbow Dash that she has beautiful eyes.The deceitful dream had completely dispersed, leaving behind nothing but these true words.