One day in Sam Beckett's endless journey through time, he leaps into the body of Jade West. After a quick consultation with Al, he finds out that he must prevent an accident from occurring and get Jade and Tori back together.
When is Jade not Jade provides examples of:
- Adaptational Villainy: Fawn Leibowitz was just a deranged teen in canon, but here she becomes a serial killer, with Tori her secret first victim; her trademark was framing other people for her crimes, until she was arrested and sent to the same prison as Jade.
- Bad Future: In the original timeline, Tori is paralyzed by a falling stage light which causes her to lose her dream of becoming a singer. Jade is blamed for the accident and sentenced to 20 years in prison for attempted murder.
- From Bad to Worse: After the stage light is removed before it can hit Tori, it's replaced by a timeline with even worse consequences. A bomb is placed under the stage and explodes, killing Tori and Robbie. Jade is framed for the murder and given a life sentence in prison with no chance of parole.
- Big Bad: Fawn Libawitz is a Serial Killer who is the antagonist of this fic.
- Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass: From the perspective of the rest of the students, this applies to Cat in the final chapter, but in reality Cat was briefly replaced by the version of Jade who has spent nine years in prison after being framed for Tori's murder.
- Earn Your Happy Ending: In the end, the bomb is defused before it can kill anyone, Fawn gets caught, arrested and sentenced to life in prison. Tori and Jade both managed to achieve their dream jobs and are a married couple with three kids.
- Glamour Failure: Cat can see Al and can tell that Sam isn't Jade; Sam and Al each decide not to question what about Cat allows her to see them both.
- Help Yourself in the Future: At one point the staff of Quantum Leap, with limited time to help Sam in the past after he's trapped in an old nuclear bunker under Hollywood Arts, recruit the version of Jade from the present and Leap her back to 2012 so that she can release Sam and help him stop Fawn.
- The Lost Lenore: Tori is clearly this to the older Jade; even years after her death, any criticism of Tori inspires further rage from Jade. At one point she even killed one of her past cellmates for making a racist comment about Tori based on a photograph Jade keeps in her cell.
- Mistaken for Cheating: At the beginning of the fic, Tori and Jade are broken up because Tori thinks that Jade cheated on her. In reality, Fawn sent faked photographs to Tori supposedly showing Jade having sex with a blonde woman on a bed and hacked Jade's phone to fake texts that she supposedly sent to the woman.
- My Future Self and Me: At one point the future Jade from the timeline where Tori is killed meets the Jade of 2012 (currently in Sam's body) and advises her past self to never let go of Tori.
- Set Right What Once Went Wrong: It's a Quantum Leap fic; naturally this applies, as Sam first has to save Tori and Jade's relationship and then literally save Tori's life.
- Shout-Out: The first recorded victim of Fawn Leibowitz was Megan Parker, with the killer framing Josh Nichols for the crime (Drake & Josh).
- Spot the Impostor: Sam is able to prove that the photos of Jade with another woman were fake by pointing out anomalies such as a tattoo on "Jade's" shoulder being the wrong way round in the photos.