Her music, often described as noir pop for its world-weary tone and dark lyrical themes, is a unique brand of blues-y minimalist Indie Pop featuring breathy vocals and extreme attention to subtle sounds and details. It is is a collaboration with her multi-instrumentalist brother Finneas OConnell, who also produced her first EP.
Eilishs first viral single, ocean eyes, was released in 2016,when she was fifteen years oldfollowed the next year by the EP dont smile at me. Her debut album, WHEN WE ALL FALL ASLEEP, WHERE DO WE GO?, became the most pre-ordered album in Apple Music history before its official release in March of 2019. It debuted at number one on the US Billboard 200, making her the first artist born in the 21st century to reach that slot.
- dont smile at me (EP) (2017)
- WHEN WE ALL FALL ASLEEP, WHERE DO WE GO? (2019)
Eilish as a creator provides examples of:
- all lowercase letters: tends to do this with her songs.
- Blues: Her music could be considered the genre's evolution into contemporary pop. Influence is most apparent in tracks like "xanny" and "my boy".
- The Chanteuse
- Emo: Though softer and poppier, her music and aesthetic both have clear influences from the genre.
- Everything Is an Instrument: sound effects used in her songs include everything from matches striking to traffic to Invisalign removal.
- Evil Diva
- Indie Pop
- Lyrical Tic: If a line ends on a T sound, Billie will often wait a second to pronounce it, adding a percussive -teh to the rhythm.
- Male Band, Female Singer
- Obviously Evil: According to herself:
- Pun: Her lyrics tend to incorporate a lot of wordplay.You committed; I'm your crime
- Running Gag: Billies hatred of Invisalign.I have taken out my Invisalign, and this is the album!
- Second Banana: Finneas stays contentedly behind the scenes for the most part, letting Billie be the Face of the Band.
- Self-Backing Vocalist: Most tracks feature multiple layers of Billie, only occasionally supplemented by her brother.
- Signature Style: Saturated colors, baggy clothes, and lots of heavy jewelry? Must be Billie Eilish.
- Simple Score of Sadness: Many of her melancholy songs rely on this.
- Singer-Songwriter: She writes all of her own lyrics, except for a few tracks Finneas contributes to.
- Synth-Pop: Most of the music in her studio recordings is synthetic, or acoustic guitar.
- Teen Idol
- The Teetotaler: Billie, according to "xanny".Still just drinking canned coke ...
Tropes appearing in Eilish's work:
- Abduction Is Love: Played with in "hostage":I'll build a wall, give you a ball and chain ...
Just let me hold you
Like a hostage
- Bait-and-Switch: From the bridge of "COPYCAT":Sorry, sorry, I'm sorry, sorry . . .
- Changed for the Video: The video version of "watch" includes a long pause before the first chorus as Billie's backup dancers rush to tie her up on her ladder.
- Cover Version:
- Double Consciousness: Implied in "idontwannabeyouanymore" and its music video, which shows Billie confronting her reflection like another person.
- Get Your Mind Out of the Gutter: "bellyache":Where's my mind?
Maybe it's in the gutter
Where I left my lover
- Love Is Like Religion: From the unreleased track, "6.18.18":You made me wanna pray
But I think God's fake
- Motifs: Ladders in the dont smile at me era. The EP's cover shows Billie sitting beneath a large red stepladder, and art for the individual songs shows her in various other positions on the contraption. Ladders are also featured centrally in the music videos for "watch" and "bored".
- Murder Ballad: "bellyache", from the perspective of the killer.
- Sanity Slippage Song: "bellyache".Where's my mind?
Where's my mind?
- Scatting: Billie does a bit in the beginning of "my boy".
- Shout-Out: "bellyache" has the line, "My V is for Vendetta."
- Textless Album Cover: Both her album and her EP.
- Villainous Lament: "bellyache", where the singer is implied to have murdered her compatriots in a heist to keep the money for herself. According to Billie, the song is about a psychopath who regrets being a psychopath but doesnt really care.Thought that I'd feel better
But now I got a bellyache
- What Beautiful Eyes!: "ocean eyes".I've been watching you for some time
Can't stop staring at those oceans eyes
Burning cities and napalm skies
Fifteen flares inside those ocean eyes