Apple TV+ is a streaming service created by Apple.
An extension of the Apple TV device and its associated digital media player of the same name, Apple TV+ offers exclusive, premium content featuring some of the biggest names in entertainment, intended to compete with the likes of Netflix, Prime Video, Hulu, Disney+ and HBO Max. But unlike any of those services, which offer third-party content and existing works, Apple TV+ originally hosted only original programming specifically created for it, but market realities are now driving to look for licenses for older content as well. As well, each show is given an individual judgement call on whether its seasons are released weekly or all at once, rather than being completely one or the other like most other streaming services.
Apple TV+ launched in the US on November 1st, 2019, with an international rollout to follow afterward.
See the trailer here.
Original content for the service includes:
- Amazing Stories (2020) (revival of the original series)
- Carpool Karaoke: The Series (spinoff from The Late Late Show)
- Defending Jacob
- For All Mankind
- Foundation (2021)
- Fraggle Rock: Rock On
- Little America
- Little Voice
- The Morning Show
- Mythic Quest: Raven's Banquet
- Oprah's Book Club
- The Problem with Jon Stewart
- Ted Lasso
- Time Bandits (television adaptation of the film)
- Peanuts in Space: Secrets of Apollo 10
Tropes associated with Apple TV+:
- Channel Hop:
- As with Netflix, Prime Video, HBO Max and Disney+, Apple TV+ has bid to pick up distribution for some films whose plans for theatrical release were waylaid by public health concerns over the COVID-19 Pandemic, snagging the rights to the Tom Hanks film Greyhound.
- Furthermore, this service has acquire the transmission rights for nearly all animated adaptations of the Peanuts franchise along with announced productions of new specials on top of the various Snoopy original productions.
- It has gained the transmission rights to Jim Henson's Fraggle Rock.
- Continuity Reboot: A new version of the 1990s children's mystery series Ghostwriter was offered as a launch title.
- Follow the Leader: Apple TV+ is a product of the streaming boon, following the likes of Netflix and Hulu, and preceding Disney+ by less than two weeks and HBO Max by a few months. In addition, while it started out presenting only its original material being available, the service has decided it has to expand by acquiring transmission licensing for older content in order to compete such as most of the various adaptations of the Peanuts franchise.
- Its original content strategy seems to be following the HBO playbook fairly closely, between star-studded original dramas (The Morning Show, Truth Be Told, Defending Jacob), ambitious big-budget epics (For All Mankind, See), office comedies set at tech companies (Mythic Quest: Raven's Banquet) and even Sesame Workshop children's programs (Helpsters).
- Late Export for You: Launched in the US first, with an international rollout following afterward.
- Revival: Steven Spielberg's anthology series Amazing Stories made a comeback on the service, with Spielberg himself returning to produce.