I must admit, it's rather long
If you think I mean my scarf you're wrong!
You bloody pervs, I meant this song!
So Bob and Alice are having a conversation. As they talk, Alice begins to talk about how much she loves nice, firm and juicy melons. On a hot day, when the sweat begins to bead down the nape of her neck, there is nothing she loves more than sinking her teeth in to one. Oh, and melon balls! For her, there is nothing more enjoyable than sucking juice out of a couple of those before taking them into her mouth. Meanwhile, Bob reaches off to the side to grab some tissues. For a moment, she is confused. Then she suddenly realizes what's wrong and shouts at Bob "Get your mind out of the gutter!"
This is a common stock phrase used whenever someone takes something innocent out of context and let their imaginations run a little too wild. Expect dopey, vacant expressions on those with their minds in the wrong place and confused looks from anyone who doesn't understand why they are making those faces.
- One yonkoma about Subaru and Teana from Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha StrikerS has Subaru act out her hidden perverted tendencies when Teana smacks her on the head, ordering:
Teana: "Mind. Out of the gutter. NOW."
- Bleach anime episode #200. Uryu Ishida and Renji Abarai are appalled when Captain Kurotsuchi apparently revives his lieutenant Nemu by bringing her to orgasm. Kurotsuchi denies doing anything unsuitable for family viewing, then gives them this Stock Phrase.
- Done hilariously in One Piece as at one point in Dressrosa Viola took advantage of Sanjis weakness for beautiful women, captured him and planned to use her power to look inside his head and discover secrets. Bad idea, as Viola is literally staggered by sheer horny perverted thoughts that make up Sanjis mind.
- Also invoked in a Omake where a reporter calls Sanji, a cook who keeps his kitchen clean and his mind oh so dirty.
- Negima! Magister Negi Magi: When Haruna creates a Negi golem for her classmates to practice romance on, she adds that she's added 23.5 cm for their enjoyment. When all the girls present go bright red, she clarifies: "Get your minds outta the gutter! I'm talking about his tongue!" They protest that that's even worse.
- Batman lobs one at Robin in For the Man Who Has Everything for the excessive attention he pays to Wonder Woman's attire.
- Paraphrased in one X-Men comic. Jean is talking to Scott during a picnic, only to notice that he spaced out... and Psylocke is slowly emerging from the lake.
Scott: Oh... sorry. My mind was...elsewhere.Jean: In the gutter, I guess.
- Another example comes from Wolverine when several of his teammates take a Journey to the Center of the Mind and walk around his subconscious. Emma Frost foolishly decided to take a look inside Logans sexual fantasies room and instantly regretted it.
- Female example comes from Rogue when shes having a heart to heart with Gambit and expressing the tender moments where they could have physical contact. Unfortunately Rogue had some psychic powers at that point and was broadcasting her naughty thoughts to everyone, which was very embarrassing for her.
- A famous joke datasheet describing a "write-only memory" chip issued by Signetics in the 1970s, footnoted a mention of the chip's "unique SEX process": "You have a dirty mind. S.E.X. is Signetics EXtra Secret process." On the other hand, the authors' minds probably weren't so clean, given the reference in another section to "slip-on latex protectors" whose use on inputs was not required with "PILL packaged devices."
- M*A*S*H. Someone uses this line to Trapper who replies, "I can't help it, it's attached to my body."
- Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Season Four, Beer Bad, Buffy calls Willow 'Gutter Brain' when Willow takes Buffy's account of the previous night to involve group sex, not drinking beer with four guys.
- When Santana hears a phrase that is full of Innocent Innuendo, she loudly snarls "Wanky!", which has led other Glee characters to snap an annoyed comment along the lines of this trope.
- Parodied in The Good Place, when Michael (a non-human character) describes what it feels like to have a human body.
Michael: I gotta say, it took me a long time to get used to the hanging bits.
Michael: Oh, get your mind out of the gutter, Eleanor. I was talking about my testicles.
- When Jonny Paula of Ideo Productions (now called Jogwheel) began producing videos in HD, he made a video informing viewers of the upgrade. He pointed out that they would be seeing some "changes" around the channel, but he's not talking about puberty so get your mind out of the gutter.
- The Joker in The Joker Blogs has used this phrase a few times.
- In The Whitest Kids U' Know's sketch The Grapist, one of the characters delivers this very line.
"Sir! Get your MIND out of the gutter! He's a GRAPE! How is a grape gonna rape a... No!"
- How Familiar Faces's CR describes the action fanservice anime Grenadier:
CR: It's a show that wants to "get your head outta the gutter" at the same time yelling "Hey everybody! Check out my kick-ass gutter!"
Professor: A couple of robosexuals? Not under my roof!Bender: What about on the roof?Professor: Get your mind out of the gutter!Bender: How about in the gutter?
- Famously used in Family Guy's first season, when Peter takes offense to a man complimenting Lois in the grocery store.
Guy: Wow, Lois Griffin! Hey, I loved your act. Nice melons!
Peter: Hey, listen pal-
Lois: Peter - I'm holding melons.
Guy: And her hooters ain't bad, either!
Peter: Now hang on a second there!
Lois: Peter - (Now holding a pair of owls on her gloved arm) I'm holding hooters!
Peter: Oh, sorry.
Guy: Heh, no problem. (Beat) Your wife's hot.
Help! My head is stuck in the gutter!