Believe it or not, not everyone is trying to get crap past the radar. Sometimes, a cigar is just a cigar, there's only a single entendre, and what was meant to be innocent is portrayed completely sincerely.
That doesn't stop the immature among us from occasionally finding things to snicker about.
They were trying so hard. Haha, "hard". It was obvious that nothing dirty was intended, not even in the "wink wink, nudge nudge" sense. And yet... thanks to poor word choice, unusual inflection, bad object placement or some other factor, what was obviously meant to be taken at face value takes on some sexual subtext. Suddenly, an innocent comment about cute little kittens sounds like something out of bad lesbian erotica. It clearly wasn't intentional, but it can cause a viewer to stop in his or her tracks, trying to stem the giggles. It can sometimes be hard to tell if you're dealing with this trope or a case of Getting Crap Past the Radar, especially if you're dealing with a Stealth Parody.
Distinguished from Innocent Innuendo, which is when the author does this on purpose rather than accidentally, and That Came Out Wrong, when it is only unintentional on the part of the character, the other characters also catch the dirty meaning, and the victim scrambles to explain himself. Contrast Accidental Pun.
See also Have a Gay Old Time, when this happens due to changes in word use. See Getting Crap Past the Radar, our towering monument to perceived innuendo and implications (even if they're 90% wrong). Also see Heh Heh, You Said "X", where this is intentionally invoked and pointed out by another character; this is often (but not always) followed up with That's What She Said. When this supposedly reveals what someone is subconsciously thinking about, that's Freudian Sex—Slip! Freudian Slip!
- Anime & Manga
- Comic Books
- Live-Action TV
- New Media
- Professional Wrestling
- Tabletop Games
- Video Games
- Western Animation
- Real Life
- Ace Attorney:
- Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Trials and Tribulations: Due to a typo in case 3-2, Mia says "Your Honor. When you were in a child, this is what was on your report card every year."
- Assuming it's not intentional Getting Crap Past the Radar (unlikely due to it coming up during serious moments), everything about the "weenies" (as in sausages) in case 3-3. Made worse by the fact that they're supposedly a symbol of Gumshoe's love for Maggey.
- In 3-5, you can get Gumshoe to admit he wants to stick his pen in Phoenix's face.
- Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Dual Destinies: The ending movie of Case 3 has Juniper smiling happy and blushing at the sight of Apollo, while she's cosplaying as Lamiroir. It's quite an adorable moment between them, but if you've completed Apollo Justice (spoilers for that game) , then you may see this scene in a slightly squickier light... The fact that the Gyakuten Saiban 5 Official Visual Book says that Juniper may have "scored a few points in [Apollo's] book thanks" to her dressing up as his mother doesn't help lessen the Squick either.
- Fate/stay night:
- "I've shown you mine, so the least you can do is show me yours" and "I am the bone of my sword".
- Saber once tells Shirou "you've entered me so many times"... referring, of course, to the fact that he's entered her memories.
- Another good one from Saber, to Shirou: "You were my sheath". She's discussing the fact that he's a vessel for Excalibur's sheath Avalon, buuuuut...
- Lancer's Gae Bolg and Archer's Rho Aias.. or, if you prefer, their "Gay Bulge" and "Raw Ass".note
- Hatoful Boyfriend:
- One particular item in BBL is referred to as a Bright and Massive Key, designed to open any lock. Among others, this leads to the line "You're up, Massive Thing!". note
- Also what Ryouta says after being knocked out: "Aargh! Darn it! Why did I let myself get taken from behind like that!?".
- Higurashi: When They Cry: In the Onikakushi VN, during the festival the club members try finding something cute to bring to Rena. Keiichi goes somewhere else to show her his, and she comes back all dizzy and blushing. She then comments on the cuteness of Keiichi's "little fur seal"; cue Mion and Satoko's violent retaliation on Keiichi. He showed her a seal-shaped key holder he made himself when he was a child.
- Sora provides an example of this in episode 8 of Yosuga no Sora: "This is no good. I wanted your curry, Haru!".
- In Super Danganronpa 2, during Chapter 2's Closing Argument, Hajime says "I can imagine how badly Hiyoko must have panicked when she came out of the closet" and saw Mahiru's body. As if Hiyoko's "affections" for Mahiru didn't read enough like Les Yay already...