Tropes about, or related to, beautiful people and things. If you see one of these tropes, a major aspect involves being as pleasing to the eye as possible.
Sure beauty might be only skin deep, but as always, Tropes Are Tools.
- Bejeweled Tropes
Pretty gems and jewels.
- Cosmetics Tropes
Makup enhances beauty when applied correctly.
- Costume Tropes
Clothing is often designed to be appealing.
- Dresses, Gowns and Skirts
Most dresses are meant to be pretty.
The overlap between beauty and sex appeal.
- Femininity Tropes
Being beautiful is a major aspect.
- Improbable Appearance Tropes
Being beautiful can ignore reality in fiction.
- Luxury Tropes
The most beautiful things are often the most expensive.
- Magical Girl Tropes
These shows like pretty things.
- The Makeover
To make one prettier.
- Mary Sue Tropes
These characters are often the most beautiful.
- Mink Becomes This Index Most
Furs are usually meant to be appealing.
- Opulent Outfits
They aren't costly to look ugly.
- Princess Tropes
A princess is usually beautiful in fiction.
- Rule of Glamorous
Being beautiful helps our suspension of disbelief.
- Aloof Dark-Haired Girl: A tall, dark-haired beautiful woman with an aloof demeanor.
- Amazonian Beauty: A muscular woman who is attractive.
- Angelic Beauty: Their beauty is literally heavenly.
- Agent Peacock: He's not going to let this job get in the way of being stylish.
- Attractive Bent-Gender: She's drop-dead gorgeous even though she's really a he.
- Attractiveness Discrimination: Judging people on if one finds them pretty or not.
- Attractiveness Isolation: Because she's pretty, people think she's too good for them, even when she'd be their friend.
- Attractive Zombie: Well, at least she wants you for your brains.
- Beast and Beauty: A monstrous-looking character and a beautiful-looking character are a romantic couple.
- Beautiful All Along: A pretty person is either disguised, cursed, or just wore their hair the wrong way (and had glasses).
- The Beautiful Elite: The ruling class are also the prettiest.
- Beautiful Singing Voice: Regardless of physical appearance, this character has an angelic voice.
- Beautiful Slave Girl: And... she's attracting the attention of her master.
- Beautiful Tears: Somehow, tears make this character cuter or more beautiful.
- Beauty, Brains, and Brawn: The first member of this Power Trio can have many skills, but is still the prettiest.
- Beauty Equals Goodness: When fiction casts ugly people as villains.
- Beauty Is Bad: Being attractive doesn't make you nice.
- Beauty Is Best: Attractiveness is considered above other qualifying factors.
- Beauty Is Never Tarnished: Fiction makes sure one's looks never get scuffed up.
- Beauty to Beast: Used to look good, now one is a monster.
- Big Beautiful Man: Being overweight doesn't mean one still can't otherwise look nice.
- Big Beautiful Woman: The curves and big bones just add to her looks.
- Bishie Sparkle: Anime sparkles represent beauty.
- Bishōnen: A delicate, androgynous man and boy who is attractive in East Asian media.
- Blemished Beauty: A character is perceived as attractive despite outward imperfections.
- Brainless Beauty: Looks don't substitute for education.
- Circassian Beauty: If she's from the Caucasus Mountains, she's the pinnacle of feminine beauty.
- Costume Porn: Nine times out of ten, detailed costumes are pretty costumes.
- Crystal Landscape: This Scenery Porn is Gem-Encrusted.
- Cuteness Equals Forgiveness: Looking pretty means it's all okay.
- The Dandy: This guy values looks and fashion.
- Easy Sex Change: Thanks to modern medicine, the most beautiful women are the ones who used to be men.
- Elegant Classical Musician: You aren't playing Carnegie Hall looking like a schlep.
- Ermine Cape Effect: Royalty makes sure their portraits always look their best, including wearing their regalia, so fiction shows them in regalia all the time.
- Everyone Loves Blondes: When blondes are seen as more beautiful than other hair colors.
- Everything's Better with Sparkles: Sparkles make everything pretty.
- Everything's Sparkly with Jewelry: Jewels having no practical purpose, but certainly a stylish one.
- Fair Cop: You have the right to stop undressing them with your eyes.
- Fairytale Wedding Dress: A bride wants to look like a beautiful princess on her wedding.
- Fashion Model: They are meant to look good, to help make the clothes look good, so that the customers will hope they look good as well.
- Femme Fatale: Her looks could get away with murder (if not already).
- Fluffy Fashion Feathers: Plumes and down on stylish clothes just look appealing.
- Gold Makes Everything Shiny: Gold adds visual flair.
- Gorgeous Gorgon: You'll turn to stone even before you turn to stone.
- Gorgeous Greek: People from Greece are portrayed as attractive.
- Gorgeous Period Dress: Everyone dressed grandly in that part of the past.
- Handsome Lech: An attractive Casanova Wannabe.
- Happy Holidays Dress: It's the most glamorous time of the year, so dress like it.
- Head-Turning Beauty: Characters are clearly attracted to her on sight.
- Hello, Attorney!: Guess Vogue and GQ run the bar exam.
- Heroes Want Redheads: Heroes find redheads attractive a lot of the time.
- Hired for Their Looks: Especially if they have few proper qualifications for the job.
- Hollywood Beauty Standards: Fiction makes people more good-looking than in real life.
- Hospital Hottie: Attractive medical personnel.
- Hot Consort: Whether a chief, king, or empress, your spouse or concubine(s) should be among the most beautiful people in the land.
- Hot God: Makes you get on your knees for several reasons.
- Hot Guy, Ugly Wife: Well, clearly he doesn't think she's ugly.
- Hot Librarian: Because good literacy is beautifying.
- Hot Men at Work: Women on the street should be catcalling them.
- Hot Scientist: They fill out a labcoat so nicely.
- Hot Teacher: The teacher is making some of the students hot and bothered.
- Hot Witch: A witch who is a bombshell rather than an ugly, old hag.
- Hunk: A tall muscular man who is very handsome, often with a Lantern Jaw of Justice.
- I Am Not Pretty: Denying one's looks (whether true or not)
- I Just Want to Be Beautiful: Aspiring to be attractive.
- Indifferent Beauty: If other people find them attractive, they just shrug.
- Informed Attractiveness: Characters are very open about finding certain people attractive.
- Inhumanly Beautiful Race: Our 7 is their 1.
- I Was Quite the Looker: A character who used to be good-looking years ago.
- Lipstick Lesbian: This hot girl has the hots for other girls.
- Little Black Dress: Being pretty, in a simple, but timeless and stylish, way.
- Long-Haired Pretty Boy: Long hair just makes this Pretty Boy look better.
- Long Hair Is Feminine: Past the shoulder adds to conventional attractiveness.
- Looks Worth Killing For: Their beauty justifies the means.
- Lovely Assistant: Yes her eyes are up there, but I'm putting the ace of diamonds in the deck well over here.
- Mad Scientist's Beautiful Daughter: It seems good looks and the urge to conquer the universe For Science! like to alternate generations.
- Men Are Strong, Women Are Pretty: Men are attractive as long as they're active and/or physically strong or strive to become so. Women are born attractive and if they're not, nothing but plastic surgery will ever make them attractive.
- Mermaid Arc Emergence: Emerging from water in a beautiful, sometimes even sexually so, way.
- Mixed Ancestry is Attractive: Being mixed race is inherently more exotic and attractive than not.
- Model Couple: They were paired for this ad because their looks complement each other.
- Obliviously Beautiful: Doesn't get when people find them hot.
- Parasol of Prettiness: A classical sign of feminine beauty.
- Pimped-Out Dress: The decorations are meant to make the dress, and lady, even prettier.
- Plastic Bitch: People who use surgery to look prettier are unpleasant.
- Pretty Boy: A delicate, androgynous man and boy who is attractive in Western media.
- Pretty in Mink: A luxury fur garment is meant to look good.
- Pretty Princess Powerhouse: Being pretty and of royalty doesn't mean she can't kick ass.
- Progressively Prettier: As the series, franchise, etc. goes on, this person looks more and more attractive.
- Proud Beauty: Proud of their good looks.
- Raven Hair, Ivory Skin: Dark hair makes this pale person pretty/handsome.
- Requisite Royal Regalia: Wouldn't help make the wearer look regal if the items were plain or ugly.
- Ridiculously Photogenic: Even their DMV pictures come out nice.
- Screw the Rules, I'm Beautiful!: I'm hot, so I can get away with it.
- Seductive Mummy: Mummification either didn't take away her looks, or is altered by magic.
- Sexiness Score: Ranking, rating or scoring a character's attractiveness and sexual desirability.
- Sexy Santa Dress: So one can be hot with Christmas cheer.
- Sexy Surfacing Shot: A person looks more beautiful when emerging from the water.
- Sharp-Dressed Man: A tailored suit means he's rich, so he must be more attractive.
- She Cleans Up Nicely: This person was surprisingly easy to make pretty.
- Sliding Scale of Beauty: Tropes Are Flexible explicitly applied to beauty.
- Smoking Is Glamorous: The beautiful people make a cigarette look beautiful.
- So Beautiful, It's a Curse: When beauty has its drawbacks.
- Statuesque Stunner: A lady is pretty and tall.
- Stylish Protection Gear: Your spacesuit, Hazmat Suit, diving gear, etc. is designed look stylish, while still functioning perfectly.
- Tall, Dark, and Handsome: The quintessential description of a man who is supposed to be attractive—tall, dark-haired and dark-eyed, and good-looking.
- Tarnishing Their Own Beauty: A beautiful character intentionally downplays or outright ruins their beauty for plot reasons.
- True Beauty Is on the Inside: What you find attractive about this person isn't their looks.
- Ugly All Along: An ugly character uses make-up magic (or actual magic) to make themselves look beautiful.
- The Ugly Guy's Hot Daughter: Either this girl had a hot mom, or her dad's looks skipped a generation.
- Ugly Guy, Hot Wife: Well, at least the wife wasn't judging on looks (unless she's a Gold Digger).
- Ugly Hero, Good-Looking Villain: When fiction doesn't cast the ugly people as villains.
- Unkempt Beauty: You don't need to have a beauty regimen to look nice.
- Vain Sorceress: Something about magic that attracts the narcissistic.
- Wasted Beauty: So beautiful they could be a heartrob, too bad they have serious flaws or quirks that (former) admirers find repulsive.
- What Beautiful Eyes!: They never need to say "My eyes are up here."
- When She Smiles: If your smile is rare, that makes it look even more attractive.
- World's Most Beautiful Woman: Certified by an impartial committee, this woman's looks surpass all others.