Mad Scientists rule the world. Badly.
The title character of the story is Miss Agatha Clay, who begins as a teen lab assistant to a Mad Scientist, one of a coterie of such individuals known to the world as "Sparks". Despite her interest, hard work and tuition, she is frustratingly bad at mechanics, for reasons far greater than she's ever realized. It's hardly a spoiler to say her problems stem from the fact she is actually the last of a legendarily powerful Spark family, her powers and identity hidden even from herself to keep her safe. Of course, that kind of secrecy never lasts forever, and her ensuing adventures now span multiple volumes.
The Foglios have also written novelizations of their comic:
- Agatha H. and the Airship City (2011)
- Agatha H. and the Clockwork Princess (2012)
- Agatha H. and the Voice of the Castle (2014)
- Agatha H. and the Siege of Mechanicsburg (2020)
Other media include:
- Girl Genius: The Works (2001): A Card Game based on the previous game tie-in to Foglio's XXXenophile. A second completely overhauled version was released in 2018.
- Girl Genius and the Rats of Mechanicsburg (2014): A mobile game funded through Kickstarter.
- Legendary Showdown: Machines & Magic (2015): A tabletop Card Game crossover with Gunnerkrigg Court funded through Kickstarter.
- Munchkin Steampunk Girl Genius (2019): An expansion for Munchkin Steampunk.
- Girl Genius Sourcebook and Roleplaying Game (2022): A GURPS RPG adaptation that seemed for many years to have descended into Development Hell... Until 2020, when both the Foglios and Steve Jackson Games confirmed that they were finally getting the gears turning again. A "Prerelease Edition" appeared in PDF form in 2021, with paper publication following after a Kickstarter funding campaign.
- Girl Genius – Adventures in Castle Heterodyne: An action adventure game funded through Kickstarter, now available on Steam and GOG.
- Girl Genius (TBA): An Animated Adaptation.
- The ongoing exploits of Othar Tryggvassen, GENTLEMAN ADVENTURER!, are detailed on Twitter.