Mad Scientists rule the world. Badly.
The title character of the story is Miss Agatha Clay, who begins as a young apprentice to a type of Mad Scientist known to the world as a "Spark". Despite her interest, hard work and tuition, she is frustratingly bad at mechanics, for reasons far greater than she's ever realised. It's hardly a spoiler to say that is because she is actually the last of a legendarily powerful Spark family, hidden to keep her safe. Of course, that secrecy never lasts forever, Her adventures span 17 published volumes as of 2018, and that number increases by roughly one volume a year.
There are also novelizations of the comic:
- Agatha H. and the Airship City (2011)
- Agatha H. and the Clockwork Princess (2012)
- Agatha H. and the Voice of the Castle (2014)
- Agatha H. and the Siege of Mechanicsburg (2020)
Other media include:
- Girl Genius: The Works (2001): A Card Game based on the previous game tie-in to Foglio's XXXenophile. A second completely overhauled version was released in 2018.
- Girl Genius and the Rats of Mechanicsburg (2014): A mobile game funded through Kickstarter.
- Legendary Showdown: Machines & Magic (2015): A tabletop Card Game crossover with Gunnerkrigg Court funded through Kickstarter.
- Munchkin Steampunk Girl Genius (2019): An expansion for Munchkin.
- Girl Genius - Adventures In Castle Heterodyne (expected release date December 2022): An action adventure game funded through Kickstarter.
- The Girl Genius RPG (TBA): A GURPS RPG adaptation that seems to have descended into Development Hell... Until 2020, with both the Foglios and Steve Jackson Games confirming that they're finally getting the gears turning again.
- Girl Genius (TBA): An Animated Adaptation.
- The ongoing exploits of Othar Tryggvassen, Gentleman Adventurer, are detailed on Twitter.
Talk about the comic in our discussion forum for Girl Genius.