''A Ghost Story'' is a Webcomic about a pair of... less than professional paranormal exterminators in a world where ghosts are an everyday fact of life. Maxine Gottwin is an unlicensed paranormal exterminator, a job she loves in spite of the poverty it leaves her in. She is assisted by Jack Henderson, a former newscaster who lost his last job in very public and humiliating scandal. The two solve problems with feral ghosts and cause problems with legal authorities. Updates Wednesdays and Saturdays.
Includes examples of:
- Classical Anti-Hero: Neither Jack nor Maxine has their shit remotely together emotionally, legally, or financially.
- Deadpan Snarker: Valdo and Vera
- Gag Nose: Among Jack's many misfortunes, his most prominent facial feature leads to him getting teased and/or ridiculed at best and outs him as "the news guy" at worst.
- Healing Factor: Alice Morgan, to extent of being able to survive being struck by an automobile, losing an arm. In an interstitial example, she is blown to.pieces with explosives.
- I'm a Humanitarian: Victoria Blackwell eats ghosts. Why or how has yet to be established.
- Noodle Incident: Whatever happened to get Jack fired from his job as a newscaster. All that we know (thus far) is that he's infamous nationwide for it.
- Our Ghosts Are Different: There's a wide variety of different types of ghost; which kind (if any) manifests has to do in part with the cause of death, and Ghostly Goals are apparently involved sometimes but not always. Notably, ghosts can be legal citizens so long as they fill out the proper paperwork and aren't one of the murdery kinds.
- Outside-Context Problem: Nobody seems to know exactly what Lucy's deal is, besides "not a ghost" and "understands exactly enough about human interaction to be manipulative and offputting."