open/close all folders
Volume 1: Agatha Heterodyne and the Beetleburg Clank
- The filing system.
- "Oh, help. I-hav-been-ceptured-by-a-clenk. Help. Help."
- Agatha gets an escort.Agatha: They sent you out to eat me! WAAAAAAA-
Jagermonster: Hy em not gun eatchu.
Jagermonster: Onless dots de only vay to shot hyu op!
- "Leedle recoil problem dere, sir!"
- "He threw a bomb at me..."
Volume 2: Agatha Heterodyne and the Airship City
- The falling machine.
- Othar's debut, in which he first presumes that Agatha is the Mad Scientist's Beautiful Daughter before introducing himself.
- Agatha's reaction to Barry first giving her the locket just sums up the worldview these people have so well. Keep in mind Agatha was five at the time...Barry: Now, Agatha — this is important. You must always wear this.
Agatha: But why?
Barry: Because... because as long as you do, your parents can...protect you.
Agatha: But how can they protect me if they're not here? That's illogical.
Barry: Um, it's...science.
Agatha: Ah, you mean you'll explain it to me once I have a sufficiently advanced background education.
Barry: Er... yes.
- Doubles as a tear-jerker if you know what the locket does to protect her:Agatha: Uncle Barry—are you crying?
- Doubles as a tear-jerker if you know what the locket does to protect her:
- Othar's reaction here.Othar: No one ever takes me to parties.
Gorb: Hokay, ve haff our own. You ken be de pinata!
Volume 3: Agatha Heterodyne and the Monster Engine
- Bang, right from the moment she "introduces" herself.DuPree: Ta-daa! I am here!
- This, of course, following on with the Running Gag of the Baron being interrupted in the middle of his research, and his growing exasperation with it.
- Even better, her Establishing Character Moment on the next page makes sure that even the slowest reader knows what kind of person she is.DuPree: Ooooh, he asked me to help! A wise choice! Nobody knows more about torture than me!
Baron: I believe he expected you to rescue him.
DuPree: What- Is he stupid?
Baron: A bit.
- Agatha accidentally starts up a fencing clank, and is told the heart needs to be hit again to deactivate it. Her response is simple - "I don't fence."
- On the run from Slaver Wasps, Agatha is more than a little disappointed that Gil doesn't have so much as one measly little Death Ray.Agatha: What kind of an Evil Overlord are you going to be, anyway?!
Gil: Apparently a better one than I'd thought...
- In a bit of Bathos, Klaus relates the devastation he came back to in the Heterodyne boys' absence - with baby Gil in a back carrier and a goofy smile on his face.
Volume 4: Agatha Heterodyne and the Circus Of Dreams
- Lucrezia's facial expression in the last panel here.
- Zeetha begins Agatha's training via a quick translation.
- This strip, if you're familiar with Baba Yaga and Russian fairy tales.Agatha: Why do you even bother keeping this running?
Circus Member: We need the eggs.
- Everything about this page.
- "Horse! Pie! Horse! Pie! Horse! Pie!"
- Agatha performs her first reading - it's a bit overwhelming.Agatha: She... tea cozy... forty-three hours... only one spoon... how... eek!
- "Sorry — vos ve supposed to catch him?"
- Augie desperately trying to convince Da Boyz that he's okay and doesn't need help calming down.Abner: How are you, Augie?
Augie: WONDERFUL! NEVER BETTER! CALM AND COLLECTED!
Dimo: (leaning in real close, smiling) Hokay.
Volume 5: Agatha Heterodyne and the Clockwork Princess
- "'I hitt Mr Larz' (syned) a Brik."
- The Jagers give some coaching to Punch's actor.
- Apparently he took it to heart as he later suggests that Punch give Mirandola's Oration on the Dignity of Man during a performance as a bit of irony.
- Immediately after, Payne's wife plays coquettish about wanting to know his plans regarding said Jagers before casually threatening him with a Frying Pan of Doom.
- Agatha sits down to dinner with the local royalty and inexplicably begins telling them everything about herself (including things she didn't even tell the carnival-folk she's been traveling with), then falls face-down into her torte. Turns out she's been slipped truth-serum in her wine. As she's being dragged off, she tells the prince she thinks he's cute.
- Aaronev then suggests maybe that he used too much and Tarvek gives him a "you think?!"
Volume 6: Agatha Heterodyne and the Golden Trilobite
- This gem.Bang: Heya, Klaus! Ready to go slaughter a whole buncha people?Klaus: If it becomes necessary.
- A special mention for the men carrying Anevka's squishy bits.Oggie: Who vants to be my friend?!
Geisterdamen: [draw swords, hissing]
Henchmen: [immediately raise their hands]
- That's a messed-up ecosystem, man.
- In the Deep Down, we get an Overly Long Gag in the form of - "AAAAH" in a variety of ways.
- The storyteller's oubliette song. And the entire rest of the scene:
- His explanation of why he's in prison.Maxim: Vot hyu in for?
Phil: Bad storytelling.
Maxim: Ho! How hyu do dot?
Phil: You put the prince in your story.
- The end of the scene:
- His explanation of why he's in prison.
- The scene of Lars finding out Agatha's actually a Heterodyne. Especially the last panel.
- The return of the calming pie:Agatha: ... still calm.
Chef Taki: Yay, me!
Klaus: There you are! DIE!
Agatha: Astonishingly, still calm.
- When making a dynamic exit via airship, Agatha expresses some dismay.Pix!Lucrezia: Agatha, hold on! We didn't know you were afraid of heights!
Agatha: I'm not! But I've got cat claws in my butt! Let go!
Krosp: You must be joking.
- Once aboard, Master Payne's wife mentions that it was remarkably easy to steal because who would be fool enough to try?
Volume 7: Agatha Heterodyne and the Voice of the Castle
- "[Airman Higgs] dragged your father and Dupree ashore, where he encountered a nesting goose—which broke his other arm."
- And such dangers from a large bird protecting its young are Truth in Television!
- Zeetha and Agatha have a good discussion on the merits of training during an arduous trek to Castle Heterodyne:Zeetha: Hmf. Somebody's been neglecting her training.
Agatha: ...I so don't care.
[next panel, with Agatha in an all-out sprint up the mountain and stars of pain emanating from her backside]
Agatha: I CARE! I CARE!
- Agatha's reaction to her first cup of coffee. And when she starts to slowly get down again...Agatha: Say, could I get another cup of coffee?
Von Mekkans: NO!
- Coffee shop report sceneVole: Dere haff been three explosions so far, sir.
Gil: [happily] Agatha!
- The Spark Roast coffee sequence, complete with Von Mekkan's "PERFECT SAUCER!" and "Vid a Nize Kick!".
- "Now I vill not just keel HYU - Now I keel EFFERYVUN! ....Hey....Dot is verra gud coffee."
- While laid up in the hospital, Klaus tells Gil that every woman with the Spark he's ever met has tried to kill him.Gil: Father... maybe it's you.
Klaus: [Thinks about this.]
Klaus: [Thinks some more.]
Klaus: [completely honestly] ...No... no, I don't think so...
- Dupree has her broken jaw wired shut.Klaus (having a boyish smile of glee): Good Heavens. I wouldn't miss this for the world!
- The novelization takes it up a notch; Her jaw's not broken, Gil and Dr. Sun just decided to shut her up for a while. Klaus actually begins to laugh, but due to his injuries, he nearly literally busts a gut.
- The second coffee shop report scene.
- "Jenka, vy for iz Füst runnink away?"
- "Invade In Front"
- Jenka and da Boyz help Gil with the 'Mysterious Disappearance After the Battle' ending.Jenka: Iz dis de first time hy faced down an entire army all by hyuself vit a veapon hyu vasn't sure vos gonna vork?
Gil: Well, yes...
Jenka: Vell den. Dot's just hyu body bein' all surprized hyu ain't all blowed up and dead! Next time, hyu von't even blink!
Gil: Next... I really think I have to lie down now.
Volume 8: Agatha Heterodyne and the Chapel of Bones
- Agatha's "alibi" for why she was sent to Castle Heterodyne.Sanaa: Really? Oh, man, we need a good cook! Guy doing it now's a mechanic - and he's a complete idiot. I'd rather eat his engines. ... So - what did you do to wind up here, anyway?
Agatha: Poisoned thirty-seven people — who complained about my cooking.
- After utterly kicking the crap out of Vole, Gilgamesh responds to Dimo's appreciation of his methodology.Gilgamesh: My father once wrote a monograph on how to communicate in the workplace.
Dimo: ...iz dat so?
Gilgamesh: All seven Popes ordered it burned.
- Agatha H. and the Voice of the Castle gives a name to the monograph. It's "Don't Make Me Come Over There". Explains a lot.
- Da Boyz on relationshipsMaxim: Excellent! Hy vill teach him how to impress de gorlz!
Oggie: Hy vill teach him about de birds ud de veasles!
Dimo: [whispering] Und Hy vill teach him how to avoid those two.
Jenka: Ah. Den he might have a chence.
- Even funnier since Oggie is the only one of the group that actually had been successful with women, if his great-great-grandchildren are any indicator.
- Gil's Fabulous Hat: "Hey- NIZE HAT!" "That's it. Everything's going to go boom."
- He's then introduced to Krosp and the Younger Seneschal, with the latter not quite over that perfect coffee Agatha brewed up.
- Klaus goes for a stroll. The real kicker is Klaus's Indignant "What?", as if he's genuinely got no idea why Sun's getting so upset.
- Krosp talks Gil into keeping his Nice Hat by pointing out that the Jagers made it especially for him as a symbol of their respect.von Mekken: Krosp, that was very diplomatic.
Krosp: Are you kidding? It makes him look like an absolute idiot!
- "HYU KNIFE, BRODDER!" "RIGHT HERE, BRODDER!"
- Technically they're called "fun-sized mobile agony and death dispensers."
- "Here's your boot, your majesty."
- Gil and his friends from Castle Wulfenbach have just demonstrated why Sparks under the influence of their own alcoholic creations are up there among the most hilarious things ever: "We forgot the crowd!"
- You know that trick with laser pointers and cats? So does Agatha.
- And when they return with a crowd (one which, admittedly, thinks Gil is a traveling circus performer):Theo: Gil, you're making me nervous.
Gil: How can that be? A jolly entertainer like myself? A spreader of mirth?
Theo: At least stop smiling. It's creepy.
Gil: But everyone is having such a good time!
Theo: If you look like a demented idiot, no-one will take you seriously.
Gil: But no-one does that now!
- And then he actually talks to the guards...Gil: Hi! I'm Gilgamesh Wulfenbach! Can I please go into the castle?!
Gil: There, everyone! You heard me! I asked nice!
Guard: Wait—You're who?
- And how they assembled the crowd - Gil popped a "Jolly Fun Oxidation Enhancer" on Zeetha's back to make all her metals go poof. Unfortunately, he'd mistakenly used a "Wacky Weave Destabilizer" instead, but figured that it meant Defeat by Modesty... not knowing that Zeetha is fine with a Full-Frontal Assault, even with a crowd assembled.
- Agatha is not pleased about how Gil's knocking on her door.Agatha: Hey, you kids! STOP HITTING MY HOUSE!
- Next strip: it looks like Mechanicsburg wholeheartedly ships Agatha/Gil. Complete with Unwanted Assistance to Gil, though naturally Zeetha is having way too much fun to stop.Gil: Don't help me!
- Moloch's only take-away from Gil's actions. "But where'd he get that great hat?"
- This one.Moloch: He'll learn. 'specially since, when she punches, she puts her hips into it.
- Or where Violetta argues that Agatha wouldn't possibly want two boyfriends.Violetta: Oh please! A boyfriend is an accessory. You don't go around wearing two hats.
Moloch: Oh yeah? I saw this Jäger...
- Agatha responding to speculation: "WHAT IS THE MATTER WITH YOU TWO?! ARE YOU TWELVE?!"
- Violetta asking hesitantly, "Can I have a pretty dress too?"
- Hole in the wall? Been done. Hole in the wall and the turret behind it? Much better. Hole in the wall, the turret, and a faraway mountain? Inspired.
Volume 9: Agatha Heterodyne and the Heirs of the Storm
- The expression on Gil's face when presented with an interesting challenge.
- The castle's rather... unique interpretation of human romance.
- "I love Christmas!"Mittlemind: Oh, please! What do you all take me for? I'm obviously not talking about the control group!
- "A bucket? Again? OK, I'm comin'.
- The last three panels of this strip pretty much sum up the entire mentality behind the comic.
- The one thing that can make even supergenius adventure heroes back off? A really ugly spider the size of a human head.Agatha: Well, we've got to do something.
Gil: Yeah, this is just embarrassing everybody.
- The fact that the spider has a knife and fork. And the explanation for why it has a knife and fork. Because it will paralyse and eat people, but it does so with impeccable table-manners.
- That smug condescending snake Tarvek. "You know him?"
- Tarvek turning green with a delirious, but appropriate comment.
- This strip.Agatha: And then the cascade effect that usually kills everyone and sets the lab on fire probably won't even have a chance to begin! This has a small, but fascinating chance of actually working! Let's do it!
Gil: This'll be great! I can get killing him out of my system and give him a hard time about it later!
- Especially the end line: "No, No! It's going to be all right! We're just going to kill you and then you'll be fine!!"Tarvek: That's brilliant!
- Especially the end line: "No, No! It's going to be all right! We're just going to kill you and then you'll be fine!!"
- Pointing out to an insane A.I. that it's being illogical only encourages it.
- Gil and Tarvek's sequence of throwing each other out of the way.Tarvek: Um — who exactly threw who back there?
Gil: Don't question it!
Volume 10: Agatha Heterodyne and the Guardian Muse
- The doctor taking care of Klaus, right here.
- Moloch, from Vol.7 and up. Highly Genre Savvy and also the only non-spark (and thereby the least insane one) of the main cast; always the one to come up with practical solutions to the problems at hand; which drives the sparks mad.
- ...most likely.
- Moloch and the bucket.
- "...Then one day, while sacking a castle, I was ravished by a wild princess..."
- In the same arc Maxim tries to steal Old Man Death's hat. He fails twice but succeeds the third time by outwitting him. Who saw that coming?
- Even funnier since Dimo later says that intelligence is something frowned upon among monsters. Maxim would never tell a single soul he actually was a "schmot guy".
- Zeuxippe, granddaughter of Old Man Death. Maxim hits on her after she hits him, and offers a ride...Maxim: On my horze! Iz a nize horze!
- Just the fact that Jägers apparently also have an actual rulebook about fighting Old Man Death. Including ruling about what to consider Zeuxippe in regards to the fight.Maxim: She is categorized as course hazard! Like in dot krezy game vere dey hit stuff mit sticks!
Old Man Death: ...Piñata Jousting Polo?
Maxim: Dot's de vun!
- After all of it, Maxim manages to walk away not only with a new hat, but Zeuzippe's number.
- Just the fact that Jägers apparently also have an actual rulebook about fighting Old Man Death. Including ruling about what to consider Zeuxippe in regards to the fight.
- Moloch is surprisingly grounded when around Sparks, a trait that Snaug happily assures him means he has a natural talent for being The Igor.Moloch: DAAAAAH!
Agatha: What in the world is Snaug doing to von Zinzer?
Violetta: Like I care!
- When Agatha's mini-clanks have a new spark-clank master, the other sparks nearby start worrying. "They are building! Designing! Spitting in the face of the creator! Warping science!" "...so..." "They're taking our jobs!"
- "We are doomed." "DOOOOOMED." "DOOOOOMED!"
- Violetta playing a chaperone (Made even funnier if you recall the title of one of Gil's favorite books):
Volume 11: Agatha Heterodyne and the Hammerless Bell
- CHOPHEAD TINYBITS! *spak!* ...nom?
- How is Zola still moving? This is how.
- How they find the nervous system connections in the library.Tarvek: Oh, great. So all we have to do is figure out where an evil insane genius would put a secret room.
Agatha: True. Well, let's try to think like a diabolical, paranoid, amoral megalomaniac. ...where would you put it?
Tarvek: Oh. Well, here. But—
Agatha: Ha! Perfect! Thanks, Tarvek!
Tarvek: Now just a minute!
- This.Gil: You're up to something.
Tarvek: What makes you think I'm—
Gil: You're breathing.
- This page.Castle: You are now nearing what I believe to be a major problem area.
Tarvek: Um- You think?
Gil: Wait. This is Castle Heterodyne. Maybe it's supposed to be on fire.
Castle: FIRE?! AAHHH!! PUT IT OUT! SAVE MEEEE!
Tarvek: ...apparently not.
- Lucrezia is very Genre Savvy.
- "Well, there's always the torture room."
- The man who, on the whole, is absolutely unfazed at the prospect of being beaten and tortured copiously has one thing he cannot stand: being forced to stand around in a waiting room that is out of waiting numbers and has inappropriate music.
- Bit of Fridge Logic, every other room is called a Happy Fun Room. Except this one. The Old Heterodynes couldn't stand it either!
- Dimo admits he was listening at the door "like a grett beeg sneeky pents". And the reaction?General Zog: Dimo! Hy am shocked at dis behavior!
Boris Dolokhov: Still, it was rather clever of him...
Zog: Hy said hy vos shocked!
- General Khrizhan's idea for getting the Other out of Agatha's head. He knows how pipple vork!
- Vanamonde being led home by an assistant.
- Tarvek is constantly having to put up with Violetta's painful remonstrations whenever she's angry with him, and because she's so much more physically powerful, he has to put up with it. Until he changes the rules.
- Immediately after, they have a long talk about being Manipulative Bastards when Agatha walks in, telling Violetta that while Tarvek's been surprisingly straightforward with her, she can't really trust Gil because he's obviously Obfuscating Stupidity. Cue Gil's Luminescent Blush.
- Remember the fire? It was on purpose. The Castle just forgot.
- Regarding who has been playing the fool around whom, and who wasn't playing the fool.
- "Yes, please." "Shot op, hyu."
- "Hmf. Well, if we threw in every minion we have, we might take out one of them." "That's a terrible plan!" "Thank you, sir!" "There's another twenty of them! We don't have enough minions!" "Er...."
- "Excuse me? Those are my Fun-Sized Mobile Agony And Death Dispensers. They're works of art!"
- "Vot der dumboozle?"Tarvek: Give it up you elephantine kitchen goblin!
- Vole's expression when he finds out Gil's plans for him. Plus the pure audacity of Gil's plans.
- The hat RETURNS!
- "We're....We're going to have to break out those little iron cages for their children, aren't we?" "Uh-huh."
- Baron Oublenmach is utterly convinced that the act of ringing the Doom Bell will open the Heterodyne treasure vault, so that he can loot it. Unfortunately, as he actually gets to the top of the bell tower, he begins to realize that he may have not thought this through. The Castle Heterodyne's reaction is the best part, though von Mekkan's utter Genre Blindness compares.Vanamonde von Mekkan: ...I mean, when all's said and done, it's just a bell, right?
Castle Heterodyne: I love this part.
- On the following elegant and finely crafted two-page spread: Everyone is vibrating in their boots from the bell's chime, except Agatha.
- Jagers seem to enjoy this.
- As does Gil. Hmmmm...
- On the following elegant and finely crafted two-page spread: Everyone is vibrating in their boots from the bell's chime, except Agatha.
Volume 12: Agatha Heterodyne and the Siege of Mechanicsburg
- All misunderstandings over Mamma Gkika's, even when standing right before it.Sleipnir: ...in a beer hall.
Gil: It's not just a beer hall!
Sleipnir: [seeing a barmaid] It'd better be just a beer hall!
- The coffee mug Mamma Gkika is holding: "I like my coffee like I like my women - MEAN!"
- Agatha is worried she won't be a good ruler. Her seneschal assures her that she's got fifty generations of lowered expectations working for her.Councillor 1: Two minutes, and she hasn't killed anyone!
Councillor 2: A new record!
- Othar is a fountain of these.Boris: You found him?
Othar: But of course! Allow me to present Gilgamesh Wulfenbach—
Othar: —master of disguise!
- Tarvek's expression just puts icing on the cake.
- Franz, the dragon guardian of the Heterodynes' vault. His grumpy attitude makes him a walking laugh dispenser. First in his initial appearance in the cellars, then when he rewards Baron Oublenmach (Oublenmach is priceless here too), and then when he smashes a huge war-clank with the treasure bag. "Hey! I said rejoice!"
- Check out the third panel. Agatha now has a new sonic pitchfork thing...the shape of which does not exist!
- Foom!Gil: [after punching the only guard the hat didn't convince in the face] When this is all settled, you get a promotion.
- "I heard there was a HAT!"
- Poor Gil reaching the end of his rope, re: Hats. "Who else could ever wear so majestic and commanding a hat?"
- The background event to hearing Klaus' story repeated. Apparently Tarvek is the only one who can actually like Foglio's storytelling.
- A small one, but when the 2/20/12 comic was first put up, it used "Hanger" instead of "Hangar". Whoops. The goof has since been corrected.
- Bang "reuniting" with Tarvek, who had quite a storied run-in with her years ago. Even better, Tarvek wants her shot, but Gil elegantly ignores those requests while DuPree has fun hugging the ginger.Bang: (with glee) It's Prince "How Dare You"!!
- DuPree finds out what Vole likes best.
- Gil's new and improved (and untested) falling machine.Gil: I assure you, even if it doesn't "fly," exactly, it should reach the ground in one piece long before it explodes.
- Gil's theatrics when dealing with Tarvek and Othar, as he shoves Tarvek in the falling machine 2.0, baits Othar into it, and sends them plummeting to Agatha's aid.Gil: We must flee- for it is none other than Othar Tryggvassen, GENTLEMAN ADVENTURER! Vanquisher of eeeevil!
Othar: Hey now! You make it sound absurd!
Gil: We will make a daring escape in my amazing flying machine!
Tarvek: Not the flying machine! Not the flying machine!
- Even better: the main reason why he puts Othar into it is because that increases the chance of Tarvek surviving the fall drastically. Of course Gil asks in exchange that Tarvek later explains how Othar survives falls in the first place.
- "Special trousers. Very heroic."
- Sanaa was quite embarrassed over Moloch's obvious crush on her, as well as what a spaz he was about it.Sanaa: He's so ridiculously useless.
Mezzasalma: You... you're talking about Herr Von Zinzer?!
[Cue Moloch taking charge of the situation completely, leaving Sanaa with a Jaw Drop]
Mezzasalma: Hmm, yes... I can see how that must be very embarrassing for you.
- "A charming pair of INNOCENT HOSTAGES!"
- "This should be the last of them. Oh, and there's a young lady who wants to know if you're accepting grad students."
- "THOSE TRAITOROUS SQUIRRELS LACKED THE WILL TO SERVE ME!"
- The Jager General utilizing a healthy heaping of Loophole Abuse to win the fighting contest.General: Hmf. Iz still cheating, but in der GOOT way.
- "Of course I'm distraught! They hurt my weasels!"
- Meet Tarvek's new fan club. EEEEEEE!
- Jägers' sense of the romantic strikes again. "Zo — beeg date?"
- That entire mini-arc is gold, really, from "What now?! More Jagers? Orphans? Jager Orphans?" to his dismay at the Hive Queen pursuing him amongst a crowd.Tarvek: Oh come on! What's wrong with this monster? Some of these people look delicious!
- Tarvek has been assuming himself somewhat disposable for a little while now. Since no one bothered to tell Agatha, this page happens.Agatha: What are we supposed to do if you go and get yourself killed?!
Tarvek: Agatha! I...I...um...what...whatever you want?
- In the middle of a battle von Mekkan is making book on the Agatha-Gil-Tarvek Love Triangle. The best bit is the random Jaegar who places fifty on himself.
- Von Zinzer talks about his crush on Sanaa with Snaug.
- Battering Ram. Oh, Phil...
- Von Zinzer's Genre Savviness does not help him this time....Agatha: You think he'd learn.
Dimo: Heh! De best minions neffer do!
- Othar takes apart a clank to find a part:Othar: It needs one of those... ah, one of those... oh, how embarrassing. It's gone completely out of my head. Hold on. [SMASH! RRRIP! BASH! Rummage Rummage] You know, one of these!
- Agatha's newly modified lightning stick/death ray accidentally blows up the tower they fought their way across town to get to. But that's not the funny part. The funny part is Von Zinzer's comment:Von Zinzer: ...How is it possible that this could surprise any of you people?
Volume 13: Agatha Heterodyne and the Sleeping City
- Von Zinzer helps Von Mekkhan realize that they are really screwed up.
- The castle asking for a honest opinion about its defense mechanisms.Castle: Now be honest - I thought I was a bit slow just now. Would you say you: A) agree B) disagree or, C) think there's simply no fun in squashing them if they can't even see it coming?
- Father and son prove an entertaining duo.
- Higgs comes to a realisation...
- Agatha becomes Genre Savvy.Agatha: I am NOT your creator! You were NOT created to serve me! And I do NOT expect you to obey my orders OR crush my enemies!
- You can see the monster is quite miffed at being robbed of his fun.
- And then the monster's Genre Blind creator comes in....
- And the monster looks to Agatha for confirmation! Not only does the monster have a questioning expression on, as if to ask "Is he serious?", but Agatha actually responds with another shrug.
- Tweedle is trying to caution his sister of Agatha's competence:Martellus: You have no idea what this girl is capable of!
Xerxsephnia: So tell me. I do love a good Heterodyne story. But this is real life. It's not as if she's in her own lab- or even her own town. She's kilometers from Mechanicsburg, inside our fortress, in the dead of winter. What can she do? ...And why do you have that idiotic look on your face?
- The mere concept of Schweincopters!
- Sparkhunds chasing Agatha and co. Or more specifically, Krosp. "Cat! Cat! Cat! Cat! Cat! Cat! Caaaat!"
- Agatha's swan sleigh pulls out a Wave Motion Gun.Ishtvan: Is...is that...
Tweedle: [face in his hands] Grandmother's old party sleigh. Yes.
Ishtvan: Could it always do that?
Tweedle: How should I know? Knowing my grandmother's parties, probably.
- Punch is no longer The Speechless! In fact.... it's actually kind of hard to make him shut up.
- Gil, after effortlessly beating the crap out of Martellus, stomping him in the face repeatedly, and then ordering him to be killed if he speaks again, asks Violetta why she's terrified of him.
- Ah, the very act of beating Martellus also counts. After making a surprised face, we get two panels of him stomping on the guy with a very rage-filled expression. And considering how much of an ass Martellus is, this random showcase of violence is very funny.
- Adam and Lilith are parents! Their daughter is very strong and hates baby talk.
Volume 1: Agatha Heterodyne and The Beast of the Rail
- A good spark always comes prepared.
- As Gil is trying to find Agatha, he picks up one of the seven leads Dupree found... But this one leads to a Jäger in a blonde wig. Complete with fake boobs.Jäger: Hokay, sveethot! Here hy iz! Now dis iz de part vere hyu tells me dot hyu luffs me for my brains!
- When Mr. Wooster tries to reassure the woman who had unwittingly sought shelter from Agatha Heterodyne ... beginning by explaining to Agatha exactly who said woman is.Margarella Selnikov: How ... how do you know all that?
Wooster: What exactly does the term "master spy" mean in this part of the world, anyway?
Krosp: hmm... "Sneaky gossip-monger"?
Wooster: That explains so much.
- Wooster is also terrified when he finds out that Agatha likes Tarvek since he fears it means "Gilgamesh Wulfenbach is going to go on a rampage that will reduce everything Ardsley Wooster loves to a wet pile of used tea leaves!"
- The last time an eldritch abomination came into the world. Robur Heterodyne thought they were angels coming to punish him for his sin (though he wasn't really sure which one). He had a crisis of faith and smashed the machine. Then he had pie. Crisis over.Castle: In many ways, he was a refreshingly simple man.
- Also, last time, they had hats. Yes, in Girl Genius, even the time-traveling Eldritch Abominations make sure to pack a Nice Hat.
- Krosp's subterfuge.Krosp: This is your own map, showing all the current obstacles—
Brother Ulm: HOW DID YOU GET THAT!?
Krosp: I'm cute.
- Dimo and Krosp deal with a Spark who's the epitome of an Absent-Minded Professor.Krosp: Why are we even still here?
Dimo: Iz hyu kidding? An henemy like dis guy iz a ting of beauty!
- Gil has succesfully removed Vole from the timefield, which has caused him to age two centuries in as many minutes. He calls Dupree, apologizing for what he did to the Jager she liked...
- Even when gone, Agatha is able to mess with Gil's head.
- Only topped by the fact that the two men caught kissing tried to explain themselves in the most ridiculous way. "It's For Science!!"
- Martellus, minus coffee.
- When the coffee arrives, it's in a mug that says, "You don't have to be king to rule here—wait, yes you do!"
- When Martellus and the Corbettites join forces to combat an evil creature, Martellus is introduced to their general: their cook. Who proceeds to make Martellus look like a fool.Abbot: According to Brother Vadaxxus, after twenty years of running the kitchen that feeds our brethren, planning a battle is easy.
- The Corbettites are getting desperate to defeat the monster. Agatha suggests using the secret, incredibly dangerous weapons they keep in their vaults. The monks protest, stating how they are merely to guard what is in those vaults...until they hear the kitchens have been destroyed.Monks: TO THE VAULTS!
- Violetta mourns for her aunt, as she was nice... so far as her family went, anyway.
- The inscription on Humongulus' chest: DOST THOU EVEN LYFT?
- Martellus tries to hit on Agatha. She hits back.
- A short while later, Agatha says the unthinkable: "That was also very helpful. Thank you, Martellus." "I... I take a quiet joy in the approbation of my colleagues." "Wow. He's learning."
Volume 2: Agatha Heterodyne and the City of Lightning
- Martellus' Oh, Crap! face as he realizes who the bears answer to now. Krosp's smug reaction is just icing on the cake.König: Say-is this human bothering you, Master?
Krosp: Oh, no. I'm quite enjoying this.
- The monks adhere to their vows of sanctuary quite... technically.Brother Vadaxxus: Oh! My goodness, Father Abbot, he just fell over!
Abbot: Why, it was as though an invisible hand struck him down, brother!
Brother Vadaxxus: Perhaps it was one of those legendary Smoke Knights!
Abbot: Ah! How mysterious!
Violetta: Yeah, we get that a lot.
- The Beast has been reduced to its core, unable to do anything but hurl insults at his captors and desperately trying to keep train!Ulm focused on driving.
- Agatha and company arrive in Paris, only to find out that she's rather popular already, complete with an Urban Legend Love Life.Agatha: "Now on sale - The Lightning Loves of Lady Heterodyne - Volume TWELVE?!"
- A poster in the lab of a guy plotting to overthrow the Master of Paris reads: Today, Paris! Tomorrow, Paris. Don't get greedy.
- Also that the guy thinks his ally kidnapped Agatha for a date instead of a hostage.
- The look on Agatha's face while bound and gagged isn't so much fear or anger as it is just annoyance. "Dammit, someone kidnapped me again? This is getting old."
- Overlapping with Moment of Awesome, Agatha's smile in the last panel here, as a fragment of the Castle's personality that's essentially taken over every engine in Paris like a Trojan comes to life.Drusus: I say, what on earth is that?
Agatha: That's mine!
- Agatha treating the mini-castle like an adorable pet.Agatha: Who is a clever little thing? Hmm?
Castle Clank: Why, I believe it is I!
Agatha: Oooh! Yes you are!
- Which is also a callback to the wolf pack that had hunted Agatha before where their pack leader asked them who a bloodthirsty monster was and they excitedly rejoiced when he revealed it was them.
- This comic, wherein Agatha uses the Castle Heterodyne fragment to force Professor Beausoleil (via his clank parts) to say whatever it wants him to. Her smug smile seals it.Beausoleil: For example - have I mentioned that my clank bodies are officially not city systems? And thus, the Master will never suspect that I have been surreptitiously embezzling cheese from his private larders! Muahahahaha-ha!
[Beausoleil looks suitably stunned and embarrassed]
Agatha: Who's a very, very clever little thing who's learned so much?!
Castle Clank: Would you like to hear him quack like a duck?
Agatha: Oh, my, could you?
Beausoleil: Miss Heterodyne! How QUACK dare you - I will AWK personally see to it Quack QUACK! Quack QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK!
Volume 3: Agatha Heterodyne and the Incorruptible Library
- After waking up Othar, Gil interrupts his Walking Shirtless Scene by insisting he put his coat on, much to the consternation of his staff.
- While Jenka tells Agatha about the fact that she has to take the time stop off the town before the Entity Outside Time arrives (in two years), you can see the wasp eater fighting with Fust in the background. The wasp eater wins.
- To defuse a situation, Agatha needs something hammered into the ground, but has no tools handy. So she starts to ask Dimo to use his newly-equipped metal hand... only for him to use his face before she can clarify. Jenka gets in a nice Deadpan Snarker moment:Jenka: Dunno. Hiz head iz probably harder.
- Zeetha's reaction to Larana Chroma turning into an adorkable sputtering wreck when Hoffman, the object of her affection, speaks to her.Larana: EYURRGH! I did it again! He actually noticed me and I—ARGH!
Zeetha: Everybody in Paris can't be like this. I mean, I've seen kids.
- A miniature copy of Castle Heterodyne held inside a dingbot treats going into a booby trapped set of crypts like a field trip to learn how to make its own better traps.
- Thanks to Gil's efforts, Tarvek is saved from the time-field and being fatally poisoned. And while Gil is expositing, he's distracted by other matters.
- Tying to the above, Bangladesh trying her damnedest to peek on their guest while he cleans himself up.
- Mistress Oglavia Spudna showcases that Dupree isn't the only scary woman in the Wulfenbach's employ.
- The Hoffman boys are oft-compared to the Heterodynes, much to Aldin's chagrin.
- Hoffmann's new helmet has an X-ray setting.
- Gil gets proof that he's after the Librarians when one insists that his heart would protect the book.
- Tarvek's first reaction to finding out the people abducting him are the Incorruptible Library: having an Oh, Crap! reaction and assuming it's because of an overdue book.
- One of the clerks working the underground lift hopes for a barely dressed underworlder. Lucky him gets his wish granted instantly.
Volume 4: Kings and Wizards
- "Dun be ridiculous. Hyu gots VEY too much HETERODYNE HAM for doze pants."
- The disposal of the array is quite conveniently timed.Dimo: Erm... Dit hyu plan dot?
Agatha: Plan what?
- Working under pressure.Dimo: Um... und hyu might vant to speed dot up a leedle.
Agatha: (annoyed) You know, I only make this LOOK easy.
- Agatha repurposing one of the child-catcher clanks by installing the Castle.Violetta: Uh... does it still think we're all children?Agatha: Well....Castle!Clank: (brandishing Agatha's newly-built BFG) ALL RIIIIIGHT! NO MORE VELVET GLOVES, YOU LITTLE PUNKS!
- Agatha's continuing clothes problems, mid-running battle. "It's not like I'm going to battle a horde of socialites on the way!" "There she is!" "GET HER!"Zeetha: Wow. You can find anything in Paris!
- The Paris Ball is just filled with people dressed in costume Shout Outs. A small list includes Yugi, Loki, Chief Blue Meanie, Hellboy, Medusa, Flame Princess, Sans the Skeleton, and Sephiroth.
- The Sephiroth guest is accompanied by a little gremlin that clings to his ankles singing an infamously warped version of a certain iconic theme song:...bells, frogs, big cherries, Peter Pan, magic cheese...
- During the ball, there's a small Brick Joke built on top of a Noodle Incident:Colette: Please tell me you're not having those jugglers again.
Seffie: I told you, they just showed up. We didn't actually hire them.
- Next page, after Martellus' entrance as Storm King gets preempted by the arrival of the Queen of the Dawn's airship:Aide: Your Majesty, the jugglers...
Martellus: Oh... Uh... Cancel the jugglers.
- The Sephiroth guest is accompanied by a little gremlin that clings to his ankles singing an infamously warped version of a certain iconic theme song:
- An example of Bilingual Bonus: Colette's code to access the city systems is "un deux trois Mon chat est bleu." That's French for "one two three my cat is blue."
- Just before that, Tarvek is complimented on sounding just like his grandfather, which he did not enjoy hearing.
- Martellus' previous time in Paris left him a little traumatised.
- There's a zombie Storm King running amok in Paris that everyone has trouble to even slow down. But Da Boyz have an idea:Deemo: Hyu vants to make dis guy schtupid mad? Hyu shows him someting he really hates!
Oggie: Hey! Dot's us!
Maxim: Yah! Dibs on his hat!
- After defeating Andronicus, the Knights of Jove immediately stage a parade celebrating Martellus' victory, with a spark who specializes in such matters.Terebithia: Oh, yes! She used to do children's parties... then there was this unfortunate incident with a thousand burning clowns...
Zola: Ooh. I heard about that. ......can I borrow her?
- Tarvek is tasked with putting the castle into Paris' systems while Agatha is busy:Tarvek: But I wish Agatha were here. She knows how to make you jump... Where is she?Castle: She is using a Child Catcher to battle the Storm King. The train is driving. I am...sure they're fine.Child Catcher: AAAALL ABOOOAARD!People: AAAAAAHHHH!
- The Clothing Damage sustained by Colette while taking control over Paris and avenging her father results in her making a very important announcement while completely naked and either not noticing or not caring due to her current state of mind. The announcement gets interrupted by Tarvek pulling a Please Put Some Clothes On moment on her.Colette: As of now—I am Paris. I will... (distracted by Tarvek) What are you doing?
Tarvek: "Paris" needs pants!
- We see a dramatic conversation between Colette and Agatha. We also see a Funny Background Event of Oggie trying to get a new hat. It becomes even funnier since it was a even less obvious Funny Background Event on the page before.
Volume 5: Queens and Pirates
- On the splash page showing sunken London, a whale passes by with "Lovely day for a Guinness" written on its side.
- When the ship he's aboard is accosted by his relatives' agents, the captain takes umbrage at being called a pirate, though the captain of the opposing ship doesn't much care.Sturmvoraus Captain: Well, you know what I say to you and your crew?!
(Two pirates are holding a gun to his head and cutlass to his throat)
Pirate 1: Oh, I can't wait to hear this.
Pirate 2: Quiet, Lucy. The man's talking.
- The werewolves that attack Tarvek's pirate ship are pretty scary, then they say their battle cry:Alpha Wolf: All right, boys, no witnesses! KILL THEM ALL!Other Wolves: KILL! KILL!Alpha Wolf: And then... TREATS!Wolves: TREEEEEEEATS!
- Tarvek's reactions to Gil's Big Damn Heroes moment are priceless.
- After Gil introduces himself, Tarvek's pirates realize the woman with him must be Bang. Cue fannish squee:Pirate 1: Oh! Ohmigosh! Oh wow!Pirate 2: Is it really her?Pirate 3: It is her! She stabbed my mom once!Pirates 1 & 2: Lucky!Tarvek: Um-Gil: Yeah, this happens a lot.
- Poor Ardsley Wooster gets a major Explain, Explain... Oh, Crap! moment when talking about someone crazy enough to hijack one of the Queen's vessels.
- Two ingredients for one of Gil's worst nightmares: Naked First Impression and Trelawney Thorpe. It was Bang's idea and Tarvek liked it enough to go through with it.
- Then there's the small matter of Gil hijacking a British sea serpent, which Tarvek justifies by invoking "Royal Pursuit and Rescue", saying Gil was duty-bound to rescue him. Trelawney points out that every time the British invoked R.P.R., it was in cases dealing with kidnapped royal princesses. A smirking Gil says "It's totally applicable."
- Violetta displays some decidedly uncharacteristic knowledge about fashion, to the surprise of everyone else in the room.
- Wooster, Tarvek and Higgs undercover as an English tea boy are in a submarine, all going to the same place. A crisis restricts the number of people who will be allowed to disembark at the destination to Wooster and Tarvek. To let Higgs disembark as well, Tarvek prentends to have suddenly decided he wanted an attendant and to have given a coin to Higgs' cover identity for the job. Aware that he did Higgs a huge favor, Tarvek tries to get him to address him by his rank while giving his discreet thanks.Higgs: Not 'til I see that farthing.
- Gil, while on tour of an oddities museum, is told that they've just received canopic puzzle jars from Egypt, which Gil's encountered before, and gave a thoroughly detailed account of how to open them so people wouldn't do it by mistake. Naturally, the museum had disregarded that part of it.
- When they meet Agatha, Tarvek kisses Agatha (in front of Gil/Agatha Shipper on Deck Wooster, for extra funny) to be able to discreetly tell her to pretend to not recognize Higgs. A very enamoured Zeetha almost blows Higgs' cover by giving him an enthusiastic hug and kiss as soon as she sees him. Higgs covers that up by claiming to be someone who Really Gets Around, Wooster falls for it, Tarvek replies he expected a sailor to have A Girl in Every Port and Agatha just stifles a laugh.
- Agatha gets thwarted for the first time, and would have been more insistent about it had her Growling Gut not interrupted her griping.
- A member of a large laboratory's personnel turns out to have grown up in it due to being the love child of two staff members. Dimo calls it "a very common kind of lab accident".
- Dupree finally learns who'd wiped out her base, and is ecstatic at just how epic the oncoming fight against Zeetha will be.
- Agatha needs someone normal to draw a spinal fluid sample from, and settles on Higgs. Tarvek's quick thinking is to come up with a needle phobia, and Higgs' reaction sells it.
- "Trelawny Thorpe! Surrender the young Baron to me, or face my shark men of DOOM!" Trelawny just looks so done.
- Soon afterwards, Trelawny and Gil get attacked by a giant dinosaur-chicken:Trelawny: It's not always like this! Just Wednesdays!Gil: Trust me, I understand.
- A discussion about demon summoning happens while the reader and Tarvek know of Higgs' true nature, but Agatha doesn't:
- Gil absolutely loses his shit when Lady Astarte recalls having met a very different kind of Klaus Wulfenbach to the one we (and he) are familiar with.Trelawny: We hope to consult the Queen's memory.Lady Astarte: Well of course. What about?Gil: [absolutely flipping out] This impostor claiming to be my father!
Gil: The man who thinks that romance is a type of lettuce.
- Really, this one line does it.
- A group of conspirators take a very... Mad Scientist approach to eliminating Higgs:Conspirator: Aieee! Wait! Wait! Wait! Over there! That was Sturmvoraus' dogsbody!Conspirator: Although he is quietly sitting out of the way and bothering no-one... he must die! Release the Smakken!Higgs: ... The what?[Giant tentacle smacks Higgs off his chair]
- In the first panel of the same page, Higgs enjoying a moment of peace and quiet, chilling out... with a fish. Just that whimsical moment of calm report in a comic mostly consisting of people frantically running around makes his tired reaction to the events that follow even more funny.
- Tarvek and a henchman share a moment pointing out Lord Snackelford being Wrong Genre Savvy:Tarvek: I have a gun.Henchman: He does have a gun.
- Tarvek and Higgs's Casual Danger Dialogue while fighting the Smakken as they discuss different monster scales.
- The mini-Castle Heterodyne demonstrates its bona fides to Tarvek and Higgs. What makes it is that the mini-Castle looks so cheerful and Krosp (who it's standing on) looks so done with it all.Castle: [...] Kill him, and let's be off.Higgs: Yep. That's the Castle.
- Agatha managed to persuade another Spark to open up parts of the machine, to the point that even Wooster and Zeetha are astonished... as is the scientist she'd persuaded.
- Seffie pays the man she'd hired for information who rejects helping her any further because he's gone so long without sleep that he's dead on his feet. Her guard, Sparafucile, simply smiles at him.Quinster: Aaand here I am, suddenly and miraculously wide awake!
Seffie: The curse of competence!
- Gil engages in some Brief Accent Imitation, much to Thorpe's chagrin.Trelawney: Never, ever talk like that again.
Gil: What? I'm just trying to fit in!
- Agatha regrets Vapnoople ending up in another dimension. Wooster provides a sanity check:Agatha: It's too bad. I think there's a lot I could have learned from him.Wooster: Yes! All kinds of things! Terrible, evil things! Ways to warp nature and create bizarre, monstrous abominations of science![beat]Agatha: I knew that!
- Tarvek is insistent that they finally get Lucrezia out of Agatha's head before another distraction emerges.Dimo: Hoo. Haz he alvayz been dis smart?
Higgs: (Smugly) Think this might be a high-water mark, actually. (Violetta is stifling a giggle in the background as Tarvek frowns)
- The way Tarvek extracts Klaus' overlay from Gil is one hilarious act of boldness after the other:
- Get Agatha out of the room to get Gil back in control, then convince him to step into the extraction device under the pretense that it will help get Lucrezia out of Agatha's head.
- Get Agatha back in the room to bring Klaus back.
- When Agatha turns out to have suddenly gone missing, take advantage of the fact that the extraction device is currently covering Gil's eyes to pretend that Agatha is back in the room, and claim that Gil is considering making Othar the head of the Empire's diplomatic corps to get Klaus back in control.
- Activate the extraction device.
- Test whether the extraction worked or not by asking Gil to hand his Empire over to Agatha.
- Agatha demonstrating a point to Krosp during "Revenge of the Weasel Queen" re: animal-based constructs and their instincts:Agatha: Are you, as a cat, prepared to accept certain intellectual precepts?
Krosp: Such as?
Agatha: Such as, if you stand here talking... THIS STRING IS GOING TO ESCAPE!
- The sign pointing to the village is the equivalent of a billboard, and includes "Beer" three times.
- Jorf mentions the village sending for Othar Tryggvassen.
- Ferretina and the Fashion Clank skipping off into the sunset - (or wheeling, rather, in the Clank's case) - amidst a pink background of flowers and butterflies at the end of Revenge of the Weasel Queen. Everyone else staring in shock just adds to the hilarity.
- Cinderella. Jager. Ugly. Sisters.
- "I LUFF my outfit! Mine iz de BIGGEST HAT in de SHOW!"
- Backstage at the "Cinderella" play...Kaja Foglio: A problem?
Phil Foglio: We've got two princes! Who thought having two boyfriends was a good idea?!
(Cue Cheshire Cat Grin from Kaja, Agatha, and Zeetha)
- When her Evil Stepmother keeps smashing her projects, Agatha busts out her hive of specially-bred quilting bees. And the Stepmother's fabrics (including her hair) is indeed quilted later on.Cinderella: So Worth It.
- When her Evil Stepmother keeps smashing her projects, Agatha busts out her hive of specially-bred quilting bees. And the Stepmother's fabrics (including her hair) is indeed quilted later on.
- Othar's Twitter: a vision of this mad world from Mr. Sanity-Optional himself.
- In particular, the moment where he has to get out of Paris quickly, and so goes to a fancy restaurant, meticulously orders an exquisitely elaborate meal, and when it arrives asks for a bottle of ketchup. "We are tossed out the city gates less that 3 minutes later."
- A sketch in the website's "Fun Extras" section, titled "Shameless Marketing Presents — The Wacky Adventures of: Little Agatha, Little Krosp, Little Gil, and Little Klaus"