Oh, and after he died, he went mad with grief in a form of Gone Horribly Right combined with Gone Horribly Wrong, and Odin had to wipe his memories. Then, those memories were restored by Loki in Harry Potter's third year at Hogwarts.
So far, the answer appears to be a world of strange hijinks, constant snarking, lots of badassery, evil plots, Loads and Loads of Characters, creepy super zombies, an even creepier Necromancer, and Loki's incredible coffee making skills. The sequel is only piling on the weirdness.
Manages to take a Marty Stuish Wish Fulfillment based premise (Harry gets a Really Royalty Reveal and wins the Superpower Lottery big time) and turn it into something (so far) pretty good, largely by exploring the Butterfly Effect: while Harry is far better protected, loved, and supported, it creates issues that weren't there before, both personally for Harry and on a far grander scale for the rest of the universe.
Notable for its epic World Building in a fashion somewhat reminiscent of The Last Son series (which Word of God has credited as part of the inspiration for the fic, though it's arguably far beyond in scale), along with SmallvilleX: Evolution. Also credited are Smallville and X-Men: Evolution, in that it takes a similar concept of a young person discovering their powers and the issues that come with them.
Has three instalments so far:
- Book 1: Child of the Storm, which starts it all with Harry discovering his heritage and, essentially, trying very hard not to die as a lot of people try just as hard to kill him, while discovering new powers and making new friends, all while HYDRA ascend, the Darkhold whispers and everyone dances on the puppet strings of the Sorcerer Supreme... It is complete, and can also be found on AO3.
- Book 1.5: Chaos Reigns, is a side story set just prior to chapters 59 and 60, alternately from the POV of Harry Dresden and Wanda Maximoff, as they handle an incursion by the demonic N'Garai. It is complete, and can also be found on AO3.
- Book 2: Ghosts of the Past, follows on from the Final Battle of Child of the Storm with Harry starting to assert himself as a Power in his own right, but one still vulnerable thanks to his nature as a Glass Cannon and his inexperience, and dealing with the reverberations of the events of the previous book. Meanwhile, a number of separate villains are all, for one reason or another, out to either control him or to destroy him. It is ongoing.
- Book 2.5: Unfinished Business, is a side story in the vein of Chaos Reigns, similarly set with a Switching P.O.V. (this time, Carol and Peter's), around chapter 62-65 of Ghosts, when on a school trip to New Orleans, some very particular ghosts come back to haunt them... It is ongoing.
There are constant hints by the author that he has the entire series mapped out. Equally, there are constant hints that he's constantly changing his mind and adding things in at the last minute (like major characters), meaning that it's not uncommon for something definitively stated in an A/N to be contradicted ten chapters later. The general consensus seems to be that the broad framework is laid out, but the details are subject to change.
Has also gained a certain amount of recognition beyond this page and recommendations on this site:
- An incomplete reading, the first several chapters of which can be found here.
- It is also being translated into Russian.