Back to the Green Lantern character sheet.
With strong hearts full our souls ignite,
When all seems lost in the War of Light,
Look to the starsfor hope burns bright!
The second of the new colors to be harnessed. The Oans Ganthet and Sayd left the Guardians of the Universe due to disagreement over what to do about the coming war of colors and the Blackest Night prophecy. Blue Lanterns are few in number as the selection process goes slowly, and they have a symbiotic relationship with the Green Lanterns. The Blue Light of hope is of little use on its own, allowing only flight and personal forcefields (and sometimes healing) but in the presence of a Green Lantern, the will of the Green gives hope tremendous power, and the Blue Lanterns can, in turn, supercharge the Green Lanterns.
- Beware the Nice Ones: Theres no question that theyre one of the nicest lantern corps around, but theyre also much more powerful than they let on. They can do things that no other lantern can do (like removing and negating the effects of a red lantern ring, for example). Also, their mere presence can make yellow, orange and red lanterns weaker. And at some point, a few of them are seen effortlessly restraining or moving around lanterns of other corps effortlessly, hinting at being more powerful than they let on (In the Animated Series, Saint Walker basically screws around with red lanterns even without having his ring on, while Brother Warth, in the comics, is seen being able to effortlessly restrain Bleez when she goes on a rampage on Odym).
- Care-Bear Stare: One of the Blue Lantern ring's signature abilities. The blue ring reads its target and tries to make a spiritual connection with them by finding out what makes them hopeful. After it establishes this connection, the ring creats a construct based of the target's history (the construct usually takes the form of some living thing, person or animal, that the target admires, respects, loves, or feels strong positive emotions towards) which seeks out the target and kindles within them feelings of hope and light. The results range from emotional comfort to physically healing the target. Examples include:
- When John Stewart was burning from the red flames of rage, Saint Walker's ring created a construct of John's deceased wife, Katma Tui, that flew over to him and touched his chest. John was then enveloped in a vision of himself and his wife holding hands and flying happily through a city. This feeling of hope and warmth extinguished the red fire that was consuming John.
- Deus Exit Machina: The power of hope triples the output of a Green Lantern ring. As a result, either a Blue Lantern is required pretty much any time there's an existential crisis... or the writers explicitly write them out of the way.
- Good Hurts Evil: The power of hope generated by the Blue Lantern rings negatively affects all of the emotional powers on the negative end of the emotional spectrum. to wit:
- Blue light drains the energy from Sinestro Corps rings because hope dispels fear.
- The orange power of avarice cannot absorb or consume the blue light of hope because hope is selfless by nature.
- The blue light of hope is the only power that can purge the red energy of rage from a Red Lantern and remove a red ring without killing the host for the red ring.
- Good Shepherd: While being a priest is not a requirement of becoming a Blue Lantern, most of them are priests and holy-men truly dedicated to helping others and bringing hope and guidance to the lost.
- Hope Bringers: Only those who either have great hope in their hearts or who can inspire great hope in others are inducted into the Blue Lanterns.
- Hope Springs Eternal: All Blue Lanterns are powered by hope. If they lose hope, they cease as a Blue Lantern. And it goes both ways too. Theyre powered both by their own hope and by the hope they instill in others.
- Imagination-Based Superpower: Blue power rings have the same powers as green ones, plus healing, the power to soothe emotions, and the power to instill hope in masses of people. However, most of their powers only function in the presence of a Green Lantern.
- Incorruptible Pure Pureness: To the point that Blue Lanterns are immune to the power of Sinestro Corpsmen and Orange Lanterns, and can purge a Red Lantern of his/her rage.
- Kryptonite Factor: When the green light of willpower is nearby, the blue light becomes the strongest of all seven. But by itself, the blue light is the weakest of all seven. Also, the rings can only work depending on the sincerity of their wielders. If the Despair Event Horizon has been crossed, the rings stop functioning properly and leave their current owner.
- Logical Weakness: Hope is a passive emotion that, despite being an excellent way to endure hard times, doesn't quite motivate people to actually do anything. Ergo Blue Lantern Rings cannot be used for combat (minus for a few useful abilities like flight, healing, a small force field that surrounds the body and energy beams) on their own and need a Green Lantern Ring to be nearby to do so. Inverted by their ability to drain or cancel out the power of the negative side of the Emotional Spectrum. The idea that hope can remove fear, overcome greed or hunger and cancel out rage and hatred makes a lot of sense in that regard.
- The Medic: Healing is one the Blue Light's powers. This can range from healing simple wounds to undoing wounds or conditions that would require complex surgeries to treat. In one particularly impressive instance, Saint Walker and Warth rejuvenate a dying star by several million years.
- The Pollyannas: They are always hoping for the best.
- Rule of Symbolism: The homeworld of the Blue Lantern Corps is Odym which orbits Polaris also called The North Star. This is fitting for agents of hope as the North Star is the star lost travelers use to find their way home.
- Saintly Church: They are a monastic order of Hope Bringers.
- Support Party Member: An interesting variation in that by being support, they actually rise above those who they're supporting. But the resulting spike underlines how much weaker they are on their own.
- Survival Mantra: "All will be well."
Notable Blue Lanterns
The Hope Entitythe living embodiment of the Blue Light, born from the first prayer and given strength from the hope and faith of every sentient being. The symbol of the Blue Lantern Corps is based heavily on Adara's winged figure. Much like Ion, Adara seems to be a passive influence on its host, merely lending them its great power as opposed to outright possession like Parallax.
- Cosmic Entity: And a pretty powerful one at that.
- Emotion Eater: It thrives on hope.
- Energy Being: The living embodiment of the Blue Light.
- Rule of Symbolism: Sort of hinted to have once been Noah's dove.
- Symbiotic Possession: Unlike pretty much all of the entities that embody the negative end of the emotional spectrum (and the Predator when it's out of control). Adara empowers it's host but doesn't take control of them or harm them. It does affect their outlook and personality to an extent but that's probably unavoidable when you've got an ancient entity that embodies an emotional concept in your brain.
- Visual Pun: It is a bird and it is blue. It's the bluebird of happiness.
Saint Bro'Dee Walker
The living saint of the Blue Lantern Corps, Walker of planet Astonia was the very first member inducted into the Corps by Ganthet and Sayd. His planet doomed by its dying sun, Walker and his family set out on a pilgrimage to a mountain summit where, it was prophesied, a messiah would appear. Due to a series of tragic accidents, all of Walker's family died, and when he finally reached the summit, Walker called out in anger that no Messiah was to be found. It was then that he looked into a reflective stone on the mountain summit and realized that he was the messiah. He returned to his distraught people and preached to them until they became peaceful in their final moments before a Blue Lantern Ring found him. Restoring his dying sun and saving his world, Saint Walker traveled to Odym to serve the Blue Lantern Corps.
- 100% Adoration Rating: Being the nicest guy in the Universe will do that for you. Even Atrocitus likes him!
- Alien Hair: In place of hair he has a single tentacle at the back of his head.
- All-Loving Hero: Forgave Larfleeze for his attack on Odym and reached out to Atrocitus upon learning he too had lost his family.
- Badass Boast:
[Your ring] is at full capacity and will remain so, as long as I hope for your well-being. And I will always hope. Until my last dying breath.
- From his introductory arc:
All will be well.
- More generally, his catchphrase could easily be seen as this.
- Badass Preacher: Let's reiterate: he's a priest with a power ring.
- Beware the Nice Ones: He's probably one of the nicest guys in the universe, but pissing him off is the last thing you want to do.
- Despair Event Horizon: When he comes out his coma and learns that he's the last Blue Lantern, Saint Walker is so distraught that he loses hope and his ring comes off his finger. It stayed with him, but was unable to use it without hope.
- Determinator: Maybe not to the extent of a Green Lantern, but he has a tendency to not give up in the face of overwhelming odds. The fact that he kept ascending the mountain to find the messiah despite slowly losing his family to accidents cements this trope.
- Epiphany Therapy: During the war with the New Gods, witnessing the return of Kyle Rayner restored Walker's hope that the universe could be spared the draining of the emotional wellspring that they were warned of by Relic, allowing him to use his ring again and give Hal Jordan a boost at a crucial moment.
- Good Shepherd: He preached goodwill and peace on his home planet and continues to do so to the universe at large.
- Heroic BSoD: If his journal is any indication, the death of his son pushed him into one.
- Last of His Kind: Saint Walker is the last surviving Blue Lantern after Relic wiped them all out.
- Morality Pet: He's sort of one for Arkillo after he healed Arkillo's tongue. It's still in the works though.
- Not So Different: He claims that he and Atrocitus this. Atrocitus disagrees since he has someone to blame for his pain.
- Precision F-Strike:
- Seeing the normally calm and polite Walker punctuate his angry rant with "DAMN YOU!" is pretty jarring.
- Again, this time to Kyle, after he's forced to abandon Odym when the Reach invade.
- Smite Me, O Mighty Smiter!: In his backstory, when he reached the top of the mountain and found it devoid of anything.Past!Saint Walker: I kept faith in you through this all! My family saw false blessings turn into curses. They gave their lives on this mountain! For WHAT?! No one is here! I won't accept this! Deliver him! Deliver salvation! Show me the Messiah, damn you! SHOW ME!
Narration: I yelled at God. God yelled back.
- The Woobie: Related to Deus Exit Machina. The amount of crap the writers have put him through so he's not around to help is downright distressing.
Hand-picked by Saint Walker, Brother Warth is the second Blue Lantern. This serene alien resembles a humanoid elephant bedecked in gold jewelry. Warth aided the Green Lanterns against the Red Lanterns on planet Ysmault. He serves as the primary trainer for Blue Lantern recruits.
- Expy: He looks like the Hindu deity Ganesha. His pose in the Blue Lantern group shot also displays him in a Buddha-like pose.
- Honorable Elephant: He's an elephant-like alien who is a Blue Lantern, a person who can inspire great hope.
- Levitating Lotus Position: As mentioned above, he's often in a Buddha-esque pose.
- Number Two: To Saint Walker in the Corps.
Other Blue Lanterns
- Brother Hynn
- Sister Sercy
- Brother Phräm: An unseen Blue Lantern who was among several lanterns from each Corps to have their rings become drawn to Kyle Rayner for unknown reasons.
- Brother Shon: A novice Blue Lantern who succumbs to despair when the Reach attacks Odym, causing him to lose hope and his ring to abandon him, leaving him to fall to his death.
- Barry Allen was temporarily deputized in Blackest Night.