The Evil Twin of Fanservice from another dimension, possibly with a goatee (especially if female). Fan Disservice looks like regular garden variety Fanservice, except that the creators intentionally use the circumstances around it to make the scene outright creepy or disgusting. Corpses in sexy poses, dialogue that adds Mood Dissonance, seeing someone naked who you really wouldn't want to see naked...there's a hundred and one ways that titillation can transform into horror. Just think of how many Slasher Movies have Fanservice Extras meet their demise by way of Death by Sex.
Note that it often seems that film schools grind this into their students, as far too many movies intercut sex scenes with scenes of violence or squick, to truly rub in our faces the polarity of beauty and horror. Of course, the directors just want to be artists (that, or they're puritanical types who are obsessed with portraying sex in the most negative light possible). But sometimes it's implemented in a funny way, so the director can just mess with you.
Of course, Fan Disservice and Fanservice are not mutually exclusive. As Rule 36 states: If it exists, there's a fetish for it. Therefore, all Fan Disservice is considered Fanservice by somebody out there. Also, due to Troper Demographics, there are many examples linked elsewhere on the wiki which are listed as disservice solely because they involve naked men. Male nudity by itself is not Fan Disservice; there are demographics that male nudity tends to be Fanservice for. Some Drag Queens are often subject to this trope. (See also Unsettling Gender Reveal.)
Also, it's pretty important to state that not all Fan Disservice is 100% tied into graphic squick. Context can also be vital into separating Fanservice from Fan Disservice; for example you can have a very gorgeous person in diverse states of undress and the visuals are technically pleasant to the eye, but the circumstances that led him or her to be like that can come from Break the Cutie, Break the Haughty, a Trauma Conga Line, No Yay, a horrendously Unequal Pairing, Rape as Drama, etc. Therefore, neither the most artistic and perfect drawing style nor the most tasteful angle shots can make this particular scene/shot enjoyable you're too busy feeling sorry for the protagonist and/or desiring the perpetrator's head on a pike instead. Alternately, the character is an Ax-Crazy psycho launching a bloody Full-Frontal Assault. Fan Disservice may also overlap with Nightmare Fuel.
For the unintentional version, see Fetish Retardant.
This trope can often overlap with Naked People Are Funny as often as not, naked people are funny precisely because of Fan Disservice.
Note: This trope is for deliberate, intentionally unsexy things.
- Anime & Manga
- Comic Books
- Fan Works
- Films Live-Action
- Live-Action TV
- Video Games
- Visual Novels
- Web Original
- Western Animation
- Hieronymus Bosch, especially in his religious/cautionary works.
- Gustave Doré, all too often.
- Henry Fuseli, best known for The Nightmare◊.
- Francisco de Goya, especially with the mental and physical health problems he experienced towards the end of his life.
- Carolee Schneemann's Interior Scroll, a performance piece where she reads from a scroll literally pulled from her vagina.
- Comedian Jeff Foxworthy mentions this in his stand-up.
"I figured it was God getting even with me for wanting to see women naked. 'Hey, you wanna see naked women, huh? Here's your grandma!' AAH!"
- Coraline loves this:
- First there's the street play in the Other World. The main performers are two fat old ladies, who are completely naked save for some skimpy swimsuits... emphasis on skimpy.
- When the Other Mother transforms, much of her chest becomes clearly visible, but she's so hideous otherwise that you don't even want to see it.
- Even before then, when Coraline first meets the Other Mother. She's kind, kinda witty, and unbelievably hot for someone still wearing trousers and a turtleneck jumper. The Hartman Hips help. What pushes it into Uncanny Valley Fan Disservice is that you can tell something is off about her. The button eyes are one thing, but she smiles too widely, seems too eager to be around Coraline. She's dissonantly calm and cheerful up until Coraline starts outright rejecting her. A great example of Fan Disservice not being from Body Horror but being more subtle and creepy.
- Played for Laughs in The Emperor's New Groove when the very old Yzma starts to hike up her dress, causing Pacha and Kuzco to scream in terror. They're relieved when it turns out she was just going for the knife strapped to her thigh.
- Ruber's shirtless minions from Quest for Camelot.
- Felidae is a noir film and, as with many, it has a sex scene in it. The problem is that they're completely non-anthropomorphic cats who make a lot of noise. It also doesn't help that, narrative-wise, this occurs not soon after Francis finds his first love interest Felicity beheaded.
- Killing Stalking hits the readers with this trope almost from the beginning:
- The first chapter has a half-naked Bum masturbating over Sangwoo. This isn't shown to titillate, but to showcase his obsession; plus, it happens in the middle of a flashback that explains how he became a Stalker with a Crush and includes an Attempted Rape situation that he was subjected to when in the army.
- In the same chapter, Bum gets inside Sangwoo's house... then finds his basement... and an almost naked, Bound and Gagged, blindfolded and bruised young woman. Few later, he wakes up after being beaten and sees the poor woman...'s corpse. It gets even worse when Sangwoo gropes the corpse's bare breast.
- The story has quite a few instances where the handsome Sangwoo is down to his skivvies, walking around in his underwear and showing off his chiseled physique. Most these scenes are accompanied by his victims being tortured in his Creepy Basement, him splattered with blood, or him psychologically scaring the crap out of Bum.
- From Rebirth, Deshwitat has a sparring match with an ancient, bearded Wicked Cultured vampire. During the battle, said ancient vampire (in a bout of humor) transforms himself into a hot young half-dressed woman to throw him off. Deshwitat, baffled and enraged, orders him to change back. He certainly does, but only his head, leaving the rest of it the same.
- Two words that strike fear and terror into even the most jaded Pro Wrestling fan's gonads: Mae Young.
- The 2000 Royal Rumble "Miss Rumble" bikini contest. Hot women in bikinis, often getting skimpier per woman. The last bonus entrant... Mae Young. A woman in her 80s. She then promptly attempts to kiss Jerry Lawler and ends up baring her breasts. DVD version of this was unfortunately very poorly censored.
- WWE had a thing called "Divas Undressed" in which the Divas paraded around in skimpy outfits. It was aired at 1 in the morning and they decided the event needed WWE style "comedy". So we got Mae Young again. And for good measure, Rico in a pineapple bra.
- The Bra and Panties Gauntlet match at "New Year's Revolution 2006" had her come out and perform a full striptease in front of the crowd.
- The Katie Vick angle. Triple H brings up Katie Vick during a feud with Kane, a supposed incident where Kane was in love with a cheerleader named Katie Vick, but then she died, and he promptly had sex with her corpse. The low point of this angle was a supposed "video" Triple H produced of Kane committing the act—-it was Triple H in a Kane mask, climbing into a coffin with a cheerleader mannequin, pretending to have sex. Ended with Triple H reaching over towards her head, grabbing a handful of spaghetti with sauce and throwing it at the camera, proclaiming that he "screwed her [brains] out".
- "Big" Dick Johnson. Or, as he was known before he was named on-screen (and his counterpart in TNA was actually named), Big Fat Naked Oily Guy. Yes, it's as bad it sounds.
- Tha Weedman of Juggalo Championship Wrestling smokes as much as his name implies and blows his smoke into the crowd. This usually counts as a Cheap Pop, as many ICP fans do happen to be stoners but for non-smokers, it's this trope.
- Big Daddy V (aka Mabel, aka King Mabel, aka Viscera)'s standard attire consisted of a singlet. This doesn't sound too out of the ordinary, but remember that he was billed at 500lbs. The singlet did a job of showing off his huge man boobs. This didn't go unnoticed by, and grossed out, a lot of smarks.
- If you are dipping into Japanese pro wrestling, don't forget watching matches of Otoko Sakari and W-1's Ryota Hama. They have a... bizarre beauty.
- Dramatic Dream Team: Suguru Miyatake and Takayuki Ueki bra and panty from bubble match, unless two hairy guys in that situation is your thing.
- Daffney Unger was once involved in a match where she opened a lockbox that said she had to perform a striptease in the middle of the ring. While she's not unattractive, there is something inherently skeevy about someone being forced to strip or be fired. This is presumably the reason Lacey Von Erich interrupted and tried to do it herself.
- Is Mickie James sexy? Hell yeah. Is she sexy when she's all wet? Most definitely. How about when she's wet from having punch dumped on her, right after being assaulted and humiliated by LayCool? Tear Jerker instead.
- A straight example turned into a subversion in Christy Hemme's first night on Raw. Trish Stratus announced that she would have her first match: a bra and panties handicap match. She, Gail Kim and Molly Holly proceeded to restrain Christy and strip her to her underwear. Christy was left terrified in the ring afterwards...until she realised she had no problem showing off her body and turned it into an Insult Backfire.
- Whenever Rikishi was setting up to deliver a stinkface to his opponent, the camera would always zoom in on his gigantic, cottage cheese butt cheeks.
- Warhammer and Warhammer 40,000:
- Slaanesh, the Chaos god of desire, excess, decadence, beauty, pleasure, love, lust, and this trope. Its lesser demons, Daemonettes, exemplify this trope and all its servants eventually become this through the "blessings" of Chaos mutations.
- The spin-off Blood Bowl has this too. All races have cheerleaders. Now, for the humans and especially the elves, this is no problem at all. When it comes to Orcs, Ogres, Dwarves, and Mutants-Dedicated-to-the-God-of-Disease-and-Decay, however... Pass the Brain Bleach. Averted (perhaps thankfully) by the PC game; the Orcs have drummers, the Lizardmen have Skinks with football rattles, and the Nurgle devotees are actually quite attractive note .
- The Bloodwrack Medusa model in Warhammer has exposed breasts... and sculpted blood pouring from every orifice. If you read its background, it gets even more disturbing: this is what it does to anyone who happens to look at it, and it's implied to be slowly suffering the same fate itself.
- Exalted: Sulumor, aka Hellnun, is the most heavily sexualised Infernal Exalted, being a gorgeous woman in a sort of stripper-nun outfit. How could her being topless be anything other than sexy? Simple. The picture of Sulumor topless in the Infernals book is demonstrating a Malfeas Charm that allows you to render yourself immune to disease for a while by self-inducing horrible supernatural radiation sickness, complete with tumoriffic skin. It's really, really, really not sexy.
- Pathfinder has Urgathoa, the goddess of Undeath, as one of the core deities. From the waist up she is a beautiful, buxom, and raven-haired (though also red-eyed) woman. But once you get below that...◊
- Played for Laughs in Pokéthulhu. Thulhu have four moves: Injure, Dodge, Trap and Frighten. Series mascot Pikathulhu's Trap ability is "Adorable Pose"; its Frighten ability is "Adorable CHEESECAKE Pose" (and it's actually reasonably effective, particularly against enemies weak to Fungous moves).
- Lunch Lady Belinda is a walking example of this trope in The Most Popular Girls in School, In-Universe and Out. She's caused numerous people to puke their guts out at the sight of her in a cheerleading uniform that exposes her lower parts.
- Homestar Runner:
- In the short Somber Vacation, Strong Sad ends up with an embarrassing tan line that looks like he's wearing a bra. To top it off, he even shows a postcard of himself lying on the beach smiling, and yes, he is sporting the tan line.
- Then, there's Coach Z imagining his butt in Decemberween Short Shorts. Matt Chapman noted in the DVD commentary that he originally made Coach Z's buttcheeks big, round and pulsating, to his friends' disgust.
- Plus, for more of Coach Z you wish you hadn't seen, there's an easter egg for the Costume Commercial short of him wearing the Authentic "Marzipan" Costume (a purple bikini complete with cat ears and a devil tail).
- In Da Amazin OT Advenchr episode 22, a Freeze-Frame Bonus shows Lite wearing Curly Brace's panties.
- In Salad Fingers episode four, the titular character appears shirtless and appears to have an orgasm. However, he's green, emaciated, hairy, and creepy as hell.
- Who Needs Science? is a Take That! to fundies who criticize science while unwittingly benefiting from scientific advances. It does so with a Captain Ersatz Becky Fischer answering trivia questions about the Bible and losing any possessions that were improved by a particular scientific discovery. At 2:52, she loses all her possessions with polyurethane in them... which includes her spandex pants.
- Neko Sugar Girls is full of this. From the bishonen Hitoshi to Raku and her Gag Boobs and scenes such as the girls going underwear shopping, this would make for a very fanservice bait series... If it wasn't for the incredibly ugly, poorly done animesque MS Paint art-style. If the lack of any sort of model doesn't kill it then the ear-piercing voices will. Luckily the series is an ironic Stealth Parody so at least all of this is intentional.