All spoilers regarding the first 159 chapters, as well as Zagred's entry, are unmarked. You Have Been Warned!
Asta | Yuno | Noelle Silva | Clover Kingdom (Black Bulls, Golden Dawn) | Diamond Kingdom | Spade Kingdom | Eye of the Midnight Sun | Elf Tribe | Others
Voiced by: Aya Uchida (Japanese), Tia Ballard (English)
Debut: Chapter 20 (Manga), Episode 19 (Anime)
Magic Attribute: Wind
The spirit of wind, whom Yuno gives the nickname Bell.
- Blow You Away: She is the elemental spirit of Wind.
- Can't Hold His Liquor: She takes one sip of alcohol before passing out in the hot spring.
- Christmas Cake: She doesn't look old, but she's an ancient elemental spirit who's infatuated with Yuno.
- Clingy Jealous Girl: Has a comedic rivalry with Charmy due to their feelings for Yuno.
- Elemental Embodiment: She's the wind spirit.
- Elemental Hair: The wind spirit and has green hair that ends in upward tufts.
- Fairy Companion: She becomes this to Yuno, constantly accompanying him after he gains her favor.
- Fairy Sexy: Her first appearance is child-like. Since then, she's become a cute fairy in a mini-dress.
- Fusion Dance: She can fuse with Yuno in order to give him power equal to a Captain. It appears to give her a fit of ecstasy:Sylph: I'm becoming one with Yuno! I love it!
- Hotter and Sexier: When she first appears, she looks like a child. Some chapters later and her appearance has become more curvy and mature and her dress is shorter.
- Meaningful Name: She's the spirit of wind, and named Sylph.
- Older Than They Look: Being the spirit of wind, she tells Mereoleona that she's much older than she looks when wants to drink alcohol.
- Our Fairies Are Different: She's Sylph, the spirit of wind, and is a tiny girl with insect-like wings and pointy ears.
- Sealed Badass in a Can: The elemental wind spirit has her power bound to a scroll in a dungeon until it's discovered by Yuno.
- Shout-Out: To Tinker Bell. She's nicknamed "Bell", has a sassy personality, and is a small fairy with insect wings who wears a green minidress.
- Wind Is Green: She's the elemental spirit of wind and has green hair, eyes, and a pale green dress.
Debut: Chapter 51 (Manga), Episode 36 (Anime)
Magic Attribute: Flame
The spirit of flame that serves Fana and later Fuegoleon.
- Ambiguous Gender: Unlike with the other two spirits shown so far, nothing about its gender has been revealed.
- Blue-and-Orange Morality: The only apparent criteria it uses to pick its masters is by judging if they are strong enough to be worthy to wield its power. As such, it picked two very different people as its owners such as Fana (a violent terrorist hellbent of reducing her enemies to ashes) and Fuegoleon (a proud and dignified Magic Knight that worries for the lives of the people of his country regardless of their social status).
- Elemental Embodiment: It's the flame spirit.
- Empathic Shapeshifter: Salamander seems to have its appearance change based on its user. With Fana, it is normally a small lizard but can grow into a monstrous humanoid dragon. When used by Fuegoleon, it's leaner and more serpentine.
- Fiery Salamander: In its small form, it resembles a small, winged fire reptile. It upgrades to a dragon once it reappears in the Forest of Witches.
- Giant Flyer: It can transform to a giant dragon when Fana uses her third eye. This is downplayed when Fuegoleon becomes its new owner, as, while still bigger than a human, it doesn't reach a size as big as the one it had under Fana's ownership.
- Instant Awesome: Just Add Dragons!: Basically a powerful mini-dragon that can turn into an even bigger and stronger dragon and is the embodiment of the fire element in the series.
- Meaningful Name: It's the spirit of flame, and it's named Salamander.
- Our Dragons Are Different: Although it is specified to be a spirit, its design and powers make it the closest equivalent to a classic Western dragon.
- Person of Mass Destruction: Salamander is reputed to have the most offensive power of the spirits, and it definitely shows when it's used by Fana, forming gigantic fireballs that can destroy whole forests.
- Pint-Sized Powerhouse: Even in its smaller, lizard-like form, it is still able to present a challenge for the likes of Nozel.
- Playing with Fire: It is the spirit of flame and its flames are hot enough to melt Nozel's Mercury Magic.
- Shoulder-Sized Dragon: Though it is a spirit instead of a proper dragon, it plays this straight during its first appearance, even being situated in Fana's shoulder for most of the fight.
- Sleep-Mode Size: When used by Fana, it is usually small enough to sit on her shoulder. But when she uses her magic, it becomes much more monstrous.
- The Voiceless: Unlike Sylph and Undine, Salamander has yet to speak and instead mentally communicates with its users.
- Your Size May Vary: Through its appearances, it has been portrayed with different sizes depending of the magic power of its masters. In its first appearance, it is no bigger than a housecat and resides in Fana's shoulder (while still being a strong being); later, when Fana attacks the Forest of Witches, it is shown as a Giant Flyer easily able to transport her, and it becomes even bigger when Fana displays her full power. Later, upon its reappearance under Fuegoleon's ownership, it appears as bigger than in its debut, but not as huge as in the Forest of Witches.
Voiced by: Kana Ueda (Japanese), Emily Neves (English)
Debut: Chapter 224 (Manga), Episode 128 (Anime)
Magic Attribute: Water
The spirit of water who serves the princess of the Heart Kingdom.
- Elemental Embodiment: She's the water spirit.
- Elemental Hair: A literal example. Her long light blue hair is made of water.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: She initially comes across as being smug and condescending. However, she actually has a doting personality.
- Making a Splash: She is the elemental spirit of water.
- Meaningful Name: She's the spirit of water, and is named Undine.
- Old Retainer: Undine has served the princesses of the Heart Kingdom for many generations.
- Our Nymphs Are Different: She's Undine, the spirit of water, and is a beautiful woman with hair and dress made of water and fish fins for ears.
- Parental Substitute: She acts very motherly towards Lolopechka, doting on her and even dressing her up.
- Secret Test of Character: She performs one on Asta in order to see if he's powerful enough to defeat Magicula.
- Water Is Blue: She's the elemental spirit of water and has blue eyes and hair and a gown made of blue water. Her skin is so pale that it even almost looks blue.
Voiced by: Yuichi Nagashima (Japanese), Barry Yandell (English)
Debut: Chapter 59 (Manga), Episode 42 (Anime)
Magic Attribute: Game
The high priest of the Underwater Temple. His not-so-harmless Game Magic crafts various obstacles and toy monsters to create deadly trials.
- Dirty Old Man: Once he tells the Black Bulls that they must play a game with him to get the magic stone, he reveals that it's the breast rubbing game, waving his hands in front of Noelle and Vanessa. Noelle punches him in response.
- Game Master: His Game Magic can create challenges for participants in the Underwater Temple like monsters. It requires Gifso to be very familiar with the temple to use it.
- Supernatural Floating Hair: His long white hair seemingly levitates near him.
- Tears of Joy: He cries once Vetto is defeated, and once he rushes over to his grandchildren.
Voiced by: Megumi Han (Japanese), Brina Palencia (English), Trina Nishimura (English, episode 67)note
Debut: Chapter 57 (Manga), Episode 39 (Anime)
Magic Attribute: Song
A priestess and songstress whose grandfather is the high priest. Her Song Magic possesses a variety of effects, ranging from healing to hypnosis.
- Animal Motifs: She wears a mask of a dolphin, an animal which uses echolocation, and is an aspiring singer.
- Beautiful Singing Voice: She's notes to have one by Noelle and dreams of becoming an idol singer. Fittingly, she uses Song Magic and according to the Volume 14 Questions Brigade she has the best singing voice among the characters.
- Blow You Away: An unique variation. Her Song Magic can form a cushion of air.
- Career-Ending Injury: Vetto crushing her throat is this for her dream of becoming an idol singer. She reassures Noelle that her dream is still alive, and at the Star Festival her throat is healed with a bottle of the Witch Queen's Recovery Magic.
- Combination Attack: Sea God Slash, a spell that has Kahono boost the power of Kiato's swordsmanship with her Song Magic in tandem with his Dance Magic.
- Cool Big Sis: Between helping Noelle learn to use her magic, having fun with her at the Star Festival and playing matchmaker on her behalf, Kahono acts more like a loving sister to Noelle than Nebra ever did.
- Cool Mask: Like other members of the Underwater Temple she wears one, with hers of a dolphin.
- Enemy Mine: She's eager to battle Noelle at first so that she may fulfill her dream of going to the surface, but once Vetto butts in, she teams up with her.
- Forced Sleep: A lullaby of hers can make one fall asleep.
- Idol Singer: She dreams of singing in surface towns so that she may easily make money.
- Make Me Wanna Shout: Her spell Destructive Beat has her sing destructive soundwaves.
- Music Magic: Her Song Magic works through songs, letting her sing a sleep-inducing lullaby, relieve fatigue, and even produce shockwaves and air barriers.
- No Celebrities Were Harmed: Kahono is based off Honoka Akimoto, a member of the Japanese idol group Team Shachi and fan of Black Clover.
- Only in It for the Money: She wants to become an idol singer on the surface to earn a lot of money.
- Pink Girl, Blue Boy: She has dark red hair and pink clothing while her brother Kiato has dark blue hair and blue clothing.
- Pink Means Feminine: As a priestess she has pink sleeves and pants, and is an energetic girl who wants to become an idol.
- Shipper on Deck: She can instantly tell that Noelle has a crush on Asta and that Noelle is too much of a tsundere to do anything about it, so she sets up a "double date," solely for the purpose of goading Noelle into doing something. Hilarity Ensues as Asta doesn't even understand the concept of a date or notice Kahono hitting on him relentlessly, Kiato (who harbors a massive, unrequited crush on Noelle) is fooled into believing he has any shot whatsoever with Noelle (he doesn't), and Noelle spends the entire date being insanely jealous.
- Sibling Team: Kahono and and Kiato have a Sword and Sorcerer synergy; her songs amplify the power of his dance.
- The Speechless: Vetto crushes her throat, which makes her unable to say anything, but she can still communicate via magic. Her throat is restored once Asta uses a bottle of the Witch Queen's magic on her and Kiato.
- Sword and Sorcerer: When fighting with Kiato, she uses her Song Magic to increase the power of his sword swings and slashes.
- White Magic: She can sing a lullaby to deal with fatigue.
Voiced by: Yoshimasa Hosoya (Japanese), David Matranga (English)
Debut: Chapter 60 (Manga), Episode 42 (Anime)
Magic Attribute: Dance
A priest and dancer who is Kahono's brother. His Dance Magic lets him vault around his enemies and battle in close quarters.
- Animal Motifs: He wears a mask of a swordfish, and wields two blades in combat with his dancing movements.
- An Arm and a Leg: Vetto cuts off part of his right leg, so he can't dance anymore. He gets better, once Asta restores it by using a bottle of the Witch Queen's magic on him and Kahono.
- Career-Ending Injury: Vetto severing part of his right leg is this for his dream of becoming a dancer. At the Star Festival, his severed leg is reattached with a bottle of the Witch Queen's Recovery Magic.
- Combination Attack: Sea God Slash, a spell that has Kahono boost the power of Kiato's swordsmanship with her Song Magic in tandem with his Dance Magic.
- Confusion Fu: As he uses his Dance Magic, Kiato enters a trance with his movements becoming hard to predict.
- Cool Mask: Like other members of the Underwater Temple he wears one, with his of a swordfish.
- Dance Battler: He uses Dance Magic to cast spells through dancing. He dances really quickly, so Asta has a hard time hitting him.
- Dual Wielding: In battle Kiato wields two twin blades.
- Enemy Mine: He teams up with Asta, whom he was eager to fight to realize his dream of going to the surface, to take on Vetto.
- Hopeless Suitor: Kiato ends up developing a one-sided crush on Noelle who, by that point, is already heads over heels for Asta.
- Love Epiphany: He falls in love with Noelle after seeing her closely for the first time, and wants to go to the surface to get her, but Kahono thinks that he has no shot with her.
- Magic Knight: His magic has him cast spells through dancing that supplement his swordsmanship.
- Pink Girl, Blue Boy: He has dark blue hair and blue clothing while his sister Kahono has dark red hair and pink clothing.
- Sibling Team: Kahono and and Kiato have a Sword and Sorcerer synergy; her songs amplify the power of his dance.
- Sword and Sorcerer: When fighting with Kahono, she uses her Song Magic to increase the power of his sword swings and slashes.
Voiced by: Masayuki Akasaka (Japanese), Jarrod Greene (English)
Debut: Chapter 60 (Manga), Episode 42 (Anime)
Magic Attribute: Water
A priest who is Kahono and Kiato's father.
- Animal Motifs: He wears a mask of a hammerhead shark, and can form a hammer out of his Water Magic and is stated to be the strongest mage of the Underwater Temple.
- Bait-and-Switch Boss: Just as he's about to attack Luck and Magna, Vetto and his underlings come in and become the main enemies of the Underwater Temple Arc.
- Cool Mask: Like other members of the Underwater Temple he wears one, with his of a hammerhead shark.
- Drop the Hammer: His spell Sea God's Hammer forms a giant one out of water.
- Elemental Eye Colors: He has blue eyes as well as Water Magic.
- Elemental Weapon: He can form a giant hammer and shield out of water.
- Luckily, My Shield Will Protect Me: Sea God's Shield, his spell that creates one from his Water Magic.
- Making a Splash: He uses Water Magic to shape into different forms.
- Tears of Joy: He cries when bidding farewell to the Black Bulls, even saying that he, despite being the strongest of the temple, looked like a complete wimp during the fight.
- The Worf Effect: Gio is said to be the strongest person in the Underwater Temple, but Vetto beats him in no time to show how dangerous he is. Thus, this necessitates the Underwater Temple and Black Bulls teaming up.
Introduced in The Book of the Black Bulls
- Canon Foreigner: They were first introduced in The Book of the Black Bulls, which takes place before the Forest of Witches Arc. The anime, however, was in no such obligation not to include this storyline as flashbacks.
- The Exile: Fanzell and Dominante go into exile due to their distaste for how their kingdom has been running. After the end of The Book of the Black Bulls, Mariella joins them in exile.
- Family of Choice: The three exiles are a married couple and the guy's live-in student who looks young enough to be his daughter.
- Remember the New Guy?: If one only read the manga and not the light novel spin-off, they would appear to suddenly come out of nowhere.
Voiced by: Satoshi Mikami (Japanese), Eric Vale (English)
Debut: Chapter 82 (Manga), Episode 54 (Anime)
Magic Attribute: Wind
A former Commander in the Diamond Kingdom's army, Fanzell has defected and fled his country. His swordsmanship prowess is complemented by his Wind Magic, manifested most often through wind slashes.
- Accidental Pervert: Due to him occasionally not wearing any clothes when he meets other people for the first time.
- Badass Teacher: As one who taught others to use magic effectively in combat, he is quite skillful with it himself. Against the Diamond Kingdom, he is especially effective; he knows which tactics and formations they'll use because he taught both to them.
- Blow You Away: His specialty is Wind Magic, which he can use to send enemies flying into long distances.
- Comes Great Responsibility: He taught all of his students to never use their powers towards evil purposes and their primary purpose as national mages was to protect people.
- Defector from Decadence: He was once a high ranking officer before he left the Diamond Kingdom due to their inhumane practices.
- Elemental Weapon: He wields a sword made out of his wind magic.
- Magic Knight: He uses magic and swordsmanship. In fact, his sword is made of magic.
- Magnetic Hero: He has a talent for convincing people to join him even if it means abandoning their homeland. This list includes his wife, who left the Forest of Witches, and many of his students, who defected from the Diamond Kingdom either with him or afterward.
- Mentor Archetype: He is responsible for teaching many of the mages. In fact, the Forest of Witches Arc plays out like a class reunion: Mars, Ladros, Fana, Asta, and Mariella are all his students. The only divergence from this is that he's not an old man. He's only 28.
- Naked People Are Funny: During his introduction, he runs away from giant boar without any clothes on. Noelle and Dominante predictably beat the crap out of him whenever they see him naked.
- Spell Blade: He often uses his magic to envelop what he has in hand with wind magic.
- Younger Than They Look: Fanzell is only 28, but people assume that he's actually a lot older.
- Walking Shirtless Scene: Since he can't keep his shirt on for more than one scene, he's inevitably fighting without it.
Voiced by: Misako Tomioka (Japanese), Katelyn Barr (English)
Debut: Chapter 82 (Manga), Episode 55 (Anime)
A witch from the Forest of Witches and Fanzell's wife. She is a creator of magic tools.
- Anger Born of Worry: Her very first scene in the anime is punching Fanzell and then hugging him out of relief that he wasn't killed by the Diamond Kingdom's assassins.
- Defecting for Love: She left the Forest of Witches and provoked the ire of its queen out of love for Fanzell.
- Double Standard: Abuse, Female on Male: She'll occasionally hit her husband Fanzell for various reasons. It's always Played for Laughs in light moments.
- Gadgeteer Genius: She creates magical tools, such as a blanket that can conceal someone from sight and magical detection.
- Hot Witch: She hails from the Forest of Witches and Fanzell certainly thinks she's hot.
- Intrepid Merchant: She takes almost any chance to sell her wares.
- Tragic Keepsake: Subverted in regards to her wand. When Mariella presents the bloodied wand to Fanzell, it's set up as a sad reminder of her apparent demise. Then, it turns out that Dominante is alive after all.
- Tsundere: She is an extreme Tsun-Tsun, swiftly moving from gushingly affectionate over Fanzell to punching him for some slight or failing. This only happens during comedic scenes. In more serious ones, she is neither lovesick nor harsh but an even heel.
Voiced by: Sayaka Senbongi (Japanese), Alexis Tipton (English)
Debut: Chapter 82 (Manga), Episode 55 (Anime)
Magic Attribute: Ice
An assassin from the Diamond Kingdom who is sent to take back her former master Fanzell and his wife Dominante. After interference from the Black Bulls, she joins up with her master and leaves the Diamond Kingdom.
- Aloof Dark-Haired Girl: When she's first introduced, she has short black hair as well as a calm personality.
- The Atoner: By the end of The Book of the Black Bulls, she reveals that she has deeply regretted her service as an assassin for the Diamond Kingdom. She decides to atone for them by exacting revenge for her fallen comrades and turn herself in to the Clover Kingdom's Magic Knights.
- Black Cloak: She wears a black cloak as part of her standard uniform.
- Defector from Decadence: The deaths of her comrades cause her to defect from the Diamond Kingdom to side with Fanzell and Dominante.
- Easily Forgiven: She is instantly forgiven by Fanzell for trying to assassinate him and his wife when they deserted the Diamond Kingdom.
- Everyone Has Standards: Despite working as an assassin for the Diamond Kingdom, she grows appalled by their actions, leading to her self-imposed exile.
- Faux Affably Evil: During her time as an assassin, she has a calm and relaxed disposition. However, this quickly dissipates when she stabs Fanzell in the back and has her squadmates capture him.
- Flaw Exploitation: According to her character profile, she likes exploiting vulnerabilities.
- Freudian Excuse: Fanzell served as Mariella's master for years. However, his fellow students were killed by the Diamond Kingdom's assassination squad and Mariella herself was forced to cooperate with them. Ever since then, she plots to capture Fanzell and help him complete their experiments on Mars.
- HeelFace Turn: She was originally an assassin sent after her former master and his wife but later joins them.
- Heel Realization: When the Black Bulls find Dominante, Mariella tells everyone about how regretful she was when she became an assassin for the Diamond Kingdom.
- Hypocritical Humor: She scolds Asta for calling Fanzell "old man" even while doing so herself. If he must say "old man" then it must be with the proper respect!
- An Ice Person: Being a user of Ice Magic, she can create blades out of solid ice.
- Professional Killer: Her role in The Book of the Black Bulls is to serve as a hitwoman for the Diamond Kingdom's assassination squad.
- Punch-Clock Villain: When she's introduced, Mariella comes off as a reasonable assassin just following her kingdom's orders to retrieve Fanzell to carry out with the experiments that were used on Mars.
- Reverse Mole: She eventually tells the Black Bulls that she wants to attack the Diamond Kingdom and turn herself in, all out of repentance for her past actions.
- Roaring Rampage of Revenge: As it later turns out, Mariella plans to exact revenge on the Diamond Kingdom for using her as a pawn before she turns herself in to the Clover Kingdom's Magic Knights in order to atone for her crimes.
- Sweet Tooth: According to her character profile, she likes chocolate lollipops.
Forest of Witches
Voiced by: Ryoko Gi (Japanese), Jamie Marchi (English)
Debut: Chapter 82 (Manga), Episode 57 (Anime)
Magic Attribute: Blood
The ruler of the Forest of Witches. She uses Blood Magic, able to congeal blood into different constructs and perform great feats of healing.
- Abusive Parent: A textbook case. She gives her daughter an Impossible Task, locks her in a cage until she accomplishes it and often calls her imperfect. Then she tricks Asta into nearly killing Vanessa's friends, eventually forcing Vanessa to unleash her Red Thread of Fate magic and thwart her.
- Animal Eye Spy: She can see through the eyes of any crow in the Forest of Witches.
- Animal Motif: Her character revolves around crows. Everything from appearance to personality. She even moves around by assuming the form of a murder of crows.
- Arc Villain: She serves as the main antagonist of the Forest of Witches Arc. Although there are many threats such as Fana and Ladros, she is the last one the Black Bulls face and by far the most dangerous.
- The Atoner: After accepting defeat towards the end of her arc, she heals everyone, gives Asta her magic earring and allows Vanessa to return to the forest as a way of atoning for her misdeeds.
- Authority Equals Asskicking: She is the most powerful witch, as expected from the ruler of the Forest of Witches, and unlocks Asta's latent magic to defeat the Diamond Kingdom's invaders.
- Bad Boss: The Witch Queen tends to kill any witch who has a relationship with a man. She'll also punish those who have returned to the forest, as Vanessa finds out the hard way.
- Bad Samaritan: If she ever agrees to help you, even if such help is clearly in her best interests, you will live to regret it.
- Berserk Button:
- Anything that does not fit her views of perfection can send her flying into a rage, whether it would be Vanessa or her friends.
- She does not tolerate betrayal from her followers. If you leave the forest and come back, she will make every effort to try and kill you. If you form a relationship with any man she doesn't approve of, may God have mercy on your soul.
- Blood Magic: Combined with People Puppets. Her magic is the manipulation of blood, and she can use it to control people.
- Bloody Murder:
- She can create a pool of blood that forms crucifixes to pin targets to.
- The Witch Queen can also form a giant scythe out of blood.
- Bright Is Not Good: Despite having a green uniform and pink hair, she's a merciless villain.
- Chronic Backstabbing Disorder: She is willing to have Asta and his friends fend off the Diamond Kingdom and the Eye of the Midnight Sun. However, she's doing it for her own purposes and ultimately pits Asta against his friends.
- Curb-Stomp Battle:
- In her introduction, the Queen effortlessly knocks down Vanessa offscreen when the latter reunites with her as well as Asta when he tries to cover for Vanessa.
- She ends up on the receiving end when she tries using Blood Magic on her daughter, only for Rouge to dispel her magic.
- Crystal Ball: She wields one, which she can foresee future events as well as helping Asta defeat the invaders from the Diamond Kingdom and the Eye of the Midnight Sun.
- Dark Is Evil: Her dress is colored green-and-black and is a particularly nasty character. While even most of the villains have some kind of Freudian Excuse, no matter how flimsy it is, she just prefers doing things in the most damaging manner possible, for little to no reason. Well, until she is defeated by Rouge at least.
- Defeat Means Respect: She begins to act like a true queen in Chapter 101, giving Asta and the others their due reward for saving her people as a direct result of losing to Vanessa.
- Does Not Like Men: Her hatred of the male gender is so acute that not only is she researching magic to make her people a One-Gender Race, but she treats any of her followers who have relations with any man that she doesn't approve of as a full-blooded traitor, meriting only execution.
- Dynamic Entry: For all her flaws, the lady sure knows how to make an entrance.
- Entitled Bitch: She thinks that by forcing Vanessa to awaken her magic, it automatically makes her entitled to have it for herself. After the "red thread of fate" magic is formed, the Witch Queen proceeds to kill Vanessa. The magic, however, disagrees.
- Establishing Character Moment: The Queen shows her ferocity by taunting Vanessa about running away from the Forest of Witches to be with Yami, and later stomps on her daughter's face when the latter tries bargaining with her on how to dispel ancient hexes.
- Even Evil Has Loved Ones: Given her sympathetic reaction when she finally sets Vanessa free at the end of the Forest of Witches Arc, it turns out that the Queen deeply loves her daughter.
- Even Evil Has Standards: After Vanessa tells the Queen her resolve and quickly overpowers her, she finally allows Vanessa to go free and return to the forest whenever she wants to.
- Evil Matriarch: She's the Queen of the Forest of Witches, and either has no redeeming features or keeps them very well hidden. Well, until the aftermath of the Diamond Kingdom's invasion at least.
- Facial Markings: She has some blue "water drop" markings under her eyes.
- Fantasy-Forbidding Mother: She locked up a young Vanessa, her own daughter, in a cage until her "divination" that said daughter gain the magic of manipulating fate itself with her strings, and forces Asta to kill Vanessa's friends to make her "perfect divination" true.
- The Force Is Strong with This One: To say that the Queen is endowed with a huge and monstrous amount of pure mana to the point that even Noelle is being overwhelmed with her mere presence would be pure understatement. She even proves to be able to use her very powerful healing magic over the whole forest with so much naturalness and little effort.
- God Save Us from the Queen!: The Witch Queen is one of the series' nastiest villains. That is, until her HeelFace Turn at the end of the Forest of Witches Arc.
- Graceful Loser: After suffering a subdued Villainous Breakdown when Vanessa's red thread of fate defeats her, the Witch Queen calmly realizes that she has forgotten some things about her quests to strive for perfection, accepts defeat, heals everyone and ultimately tells Vanessa that she can return to the forest as she pleases.
- Green and Mean: She wears a green dress and hat and is the main villain of the Forest of Witches Arc, trying to kill the Black Bulls after the Diamond Kingdom is dealt with.
- "Groundhog Day" Loop: Vanessa uses her Red Thread of Fate magic to trap the Queen in one to rescue Noelle and Finral. She has a Delayed Reaction when the loop begins to repeat.
- Healing Hands: Her Blood Magic is extremely powerful at healing, easily dispelling Asta's curse and restoring his crushed arms.
- HeelFace Turn: By the end of the Forest of Witches Arc, she decides to become a better queen by first healing everyone and then giving the Black Bulls their reward for saving her people.
- Heel Realization: After being defeated by Rouge, the Queen realizes she's in the wrong about her attempts to control destiny and is visibly distraught.
- Icy Blue Eyes: She has teal eyes and plans to obtain Vanessa's power by force through using Asta.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: The Witch Queen ultimately becomes a kinder ruler after Rouge defeats her.
- Jerk with a Heart of Jerk: In Chapter 98, she openly thanks Asta for his efforts to protect her people from the Diamond Kingdom's armed invasion, where she was the "prize" they sought and praised his fighting prowess. This benevolence is very short lived.
- Lady of Black Magic: She's the evil ruler of the Forest of Witches, wielding overwhelming amounts of mana and Blood Magic at her disposal.
- Laser-Guided Karma: After the Witch Queen tried to force Vanessa to awaken her magic during her early life, she gets easily curb-stomped by said magic.
- Like Mother Unlike Daughter: The Witch Queen is an Evil Matriarch who doesn't like men and imperfection. Vanessa, on the other hand, is a hero who is willing to help others in need and often hangs around men.
- Mama Bear: She will do anything that may harm her daughters. However, it's subverted with her relationship with Vanessa, whom the Queen often abuses and locks up until she learns to control her magic. While she is willing to let Vanessa go when Yami freed her, she resorts to beating the crap out of Vanessa when she asks her to heal Asta's arms to the point that she tries taking her magic for herself.
- Ms. Exposition: She provides valuable intel regarding the Elf Tribe's history to the Black Bulls as well as where the anti-magic swords originated from.
- My God, What Have I Done?: After the Witch Queen is utterly defeated, she shows genuine regret on how she forgot one thing in her quest for perfection: Vanessa could never have unlocked her true magic without the rest of her friends' support. Before Vanessa leaves, the Queen allows her to come back home whenever she feels like it as a form of apology.
- Never My Fault: She never acknowledges that it's her own actions that caused Vanessa to be captured as well as Asta trying to kill the latter's friends, instead considering her actions as "fate". It quickly backfires on her after she's utterly defeated.
- Nice Hat: She wears an oversized green hat to go with her uniform.
- No-Sell: Try to use magic attacks against her and she'll just use her crows to nullify them.
- Obviously Evil: Her very sinister personality, green-and-black dress and use of black crows all show that she's definitely not a good guy. At first.
- Offing the Offspring: The Witch Queen attempts to kill Vanessa when she finally unleashes her "red thread of fate" magic. It doesn't work.
- One Bad Mother: She's a very dangerous witch who's the biological mother of Vanessa as well as all of the other witches in the forest.
- Principles Zealot: She's obsessed with perfection. To enforce her twisted view of it, she's willing to kill anyone and everyone that she thinks stands in her way, including her daughter and her daughter's friends.
- Rant-Inducing Slight: Asta very politely asking her to heal his companions, who were all grievously wounded protecting her people, immediately sends her into a murderous fury that she intends to force Asta to carry out, by controlling his body against his will.
- Really 700 Years Old: Despite looking like a young mother, she's actually a few centuries old. As such, the Diamond King, who is on the verge of death, has ordered Mars and Ladros to find the secret of her long life.
- Ripple Effect-Proof Memory: When Vanessa unleashes her Red Thread of Fate spell, she saves Asta from killing Noelle and Finral, much to the Queen's silent dismay as she remembers what she said.
- Royals Who Actually Do Something: As a ruler of the Forest of Witches, she commands her own army and is willing to attack intruders.
- Sinister Scythe: She wields one formed from her own Blood Magic.
- Shoot the Dog: She views killing off Vanessa as this, given she wants her daughter's magic for herself. The "thread of fate" disagrees.
- Ungrateful Bitch: The people of Clover come to her kingdom's aid and stop the Diamond Kingdom's invasion. Yet the Queen enslaves Asta and forces him to try and kill them, along with the Diamond Kingdom invaders, even those who defected because their "loyalty" was due to mind control, brainwashing, or both. It doesn't work.
- Vicariously Ambitious: Since she can't manipulate fate with magic, only "receive divinations", she forces her daughter to learn the magic instead, or be imprisoned in a cage until she dies.
- Villain Teleportation: She uses this when she arrives at the battlefield to take control of Asta and have him kill his friends.
- The Worf Effect: A slightly roundabout one. Asta's arms, besides being completely shattered by the injuries he took from fighting Vetto, are also afflicted with ancient curse magic that even the Clover Kingdom's best healer cant overcome. However, once she's convinced to do so, the Witch Queen breaks the curse and fixes up Asta's arms like it's nothing, proving that she's a serious heavy-hitter in the magic department. After learning some humility, she even provides Asta with a portable version of the spell to fix up Kiato and Kahono.
- Would Hurt a Child: She curb-stomps Vanessa, her own daughter, when the latter asks her to heal Asta's arms. Not to mention that she attempts to take Vanessa's magic for herself when it manifested.
- You Can't Fight Fate: A literal example. During Chapters 99 and 100, there are strong hints that she was indeed being controlled by some outside power or influence, as she became more and more distraught, not only at the outcome, but at her own words and actions, constantly going "Did I really do this?" or "Did I really say that?" in response to some despicable act that was blocked by Vanessa's new "Red Thread of Fate" magic.
- You Can't Go Home Again: Invoked by her when her fellow witches leave the forest; if they do return to the forest, she will have to punish them for it. However, she does make an exception at the end of the Forest of Witches Arc when she tells Vanessa to come back to the Forest as she wishes.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Like her daughter, the Witch Queen has pink hair.
- You Have Outlived Your Usefulness: A subverted example. Once Asta and his friends help thwart the Diamond Kingdom's invasion of the Forest of Witches, she decides to have Asta kill everyone there (including Vanessa). It doesn't work thanks to Vanessa's newly-manifested "Red Thread of Fate" magic foiling the Queen's plans in an awesome way.
- You Remind Me of X: Asta's fighting style and use of the five leaf clover grimoire had her convinced Asta was related to "them". Powerful anti-magic warriors that she holds in high esteem. She was visibly downcast when she realized he's just incapable of using magic... until she realized his "defect" made him truly special.
- In Harmony with Nature: The people of the Heart Kingdom are attuned to nature, with the country rich in water and natural resources. As a result, their mages can use the natural mana of the environment as rune arrays.
- Instant Runes: The Heart Kingdom uses arrays, which channel natural mana to strengthen their spells by forming runes that form instructions for their magic. Because it relies on natural mana, it can only be used for attributes found in nature i.e. flame, lightning, water, etc. After the Clover Kingdom and Heart Kingdom form an alliance, it's taught to some Magic Knights.
- Nature Hero: The people of the Heart Kingdom are highly attuned to natural mana, allowing them to form arrays of rune to empower their magic.
- Person of Mass Destruction: Thanks to their mastery of natural mana, the Spirit Guardians can generate their real elemental attribute in large, destructive spells.
- Theme Naming: With the Clover, Spade, and Diamond Kingdoms, they are named after the four French suits of playing cards.
- Uncertain Doom: Chapter 255 has Vanica detonate her Dark Disciples, turning them into curse bombs that explode throughout the Heart Kingdom. Right after, the story goes back to Yami's fight with Dante.
- The Worf Effect: The Spirit Guardians are the strongest mages in their kingdom, and four of them are easily defeated by Vanica's Dark Disciples.
Voiced by: Yuu Serizawa (Japanese), Cherami Leigh (English)
Debut: Chapter 224 (Manga), Episode 128 (Anime)
Magic Attribute: Water
The princess of the Heart Kingdom. She wields Water Magic empowered by the Water Spirit, Undine.
- All Your Powers Combined: Her magic and grimoire have the combined power of the precious queens of the Heart Kingdom.
- Area of Effect: Lolopechka can use Mana Zone, with hers large enough to cover the entire Heart Kingdom, letting her use her magic wherever needed in her country and see anything that happens in the kingdom.
- Authority Equals Asskicking: As the chosen princess of the Heart Kingdom, she is the strongest mage in her country by virtue of being blessed with the combined power of all the previous queens and the water spirit Undine.
- Beautiful All Along: She usually has a sloppy appearance with unkempt hair and unattractive glasses. However, when she formally dresses up and remove her glasses, she's downright gorgeous.
- Beauty Mark: Has one below the lower right of her lips.
- Benevolent Mage Ruler: She's the princess of the Heart Kingdom and takes ruling seriously, using her magic to water the kingdom's crops and forests and keep her subjects safe.
- Big Brother Is Watching: A rare benevolent example. Her Mana Zone is so powerful that it covers the entire Heart Kingdom, allowing her to monitor the entire country. She uses it to watch out for threats and ensure the kingdom's prosperity.
- Blonde, Brunette, Redhead: She becomes the Brunette, replacing Nero who is usually in her bird form, in the dynamic with Noelle as the Blonde and Mimosa as the Redhead after befriending them during the six month timeskip.
- Break the Cutie: She cries in fear and frustration when her plan to seal Vanica fails and Megicula curses Undine in return.
- Cool Crown: Her crown as the Heart Kingdom's princess is gold and ornate.
- Cute Clumsy Girl: When Asta sees her clumsiness for the first time, Lolopechka clarifies that this is not part of Megicula's curse. She's always been clumsy.
- Damsel in Distress: Vanica kidnaps her to the Spade Kingdom. Megicula thinks it's best to kill her but Vanica wants to make Noelle stronger by using Lolopechka as a hostage.
- Didn't See That Coming: She sure didn't expect her plan to seal Vanica to fail because Megicula's Curse-Warding Magic weakens the effects of spell arrays.
- Does Not Like Shoes: She's an Earthy Barefoot Character when not in princess form.
- Elemental Eye Colors: She has blue eyes and she uses Water Magic.
- Ermine Cape Effect: Her outfit as a princess is this, wearing an elaborate gown with a red and gold robe and white veil. She even holds a scepter.
- God Save Us from the Queen!: Subverted. She's immediately compared to the Witch Queen when her status is revealed, and portrayed as an ominous figure who wants Asta's devil power, attacking him and having Gaja fight the others. It's later revealed to be a test and she's shown to be a benevolent figure who wants to ally with the Clover Kingdom.
- High Priestess: As the princess of the Heart Kingdom, she's also the priestess of Undine.
- The High Queen: She's the princess and ruler of the Heart Kingdom, and devoted to ensuring her kingdom's natural prosperity and defending her subjects against the Dark Triad.
- Home Field Advantage: She does this by using Undine's power and Mana Method to create a giant dome of water, halving Vanica's Blood Magic's power in half while also boosting Noelle's magic.
- Instant Runes: She is from the country where this is from after all. Lolopechka can create a giant array with Undine's power to form a massive body of water.
- Making a Splash: Her magical element. With the power of Undine, she is able to water her kingdom's forests and even form a gigantic dome of water in the air. She can even make monitors to see things all over the kingdom.
- Modest Royalty: Princess of the Heart Kingdom and denies Noelle and Mimosa's praise. It's revealed she sees herself as an unfit to rule.
- Ominous Multiple Screens: She can use her Water Magic to create many water monitors to see everything going on in the Heart Kingdom.
- Opaque Nerd Glasses: She wears these in her private attire.
- Raven Hair, Ivory Skin: She has long black hair and pale skin, and is noted to be very beautiful when she cleans up and wears her priestess attire.
- Rummage Sale Reject: She wears her pajamas at leisure, with no footwear, but this makes her look frumpy.
- Spell My Name with an "S": The Viz translation switches from "Loropechika" to "Lolopechka", with the latter the most used.
- Staff of Authority: She holds this while donning her princess regalia.
- Summon Magic: As the princess of the Heart Kingdom, she's also the priestess of Undine, and can summon her using Spirit Magic.
- Transferable Memory: The priestesses of the Heart Kingdom inherit the knowledge and experiences of precious priestesses. This allows her to find out the Dark Triad's plan to form the Tree of Qliphoth, bringing devils to the world and killing over 90% of the continent.
- The Woman Wearing the Queenly Mask: She's very dignified as a princess but is in truth an awkward, clumsy girl. Lolopechka thinks of herself as an inadequate princess for getting cursed and being clumsy and dull. And she's terrified of being cursed to die, feeling bad for crying in public.
- Your Days Are Numbered: The curse of Megicula will kill her in the next year if he's not defeated.
Voiced by: Ryotaro Okiayu (Japanese), Jeff Plunk (English)
Debut: Chapter 225 (Manga), Episode 128 (Anime)
Magic Attribute: Lightning
A Spirit Guardian of the Heart Kingdom.
- Good Scars, Evil Scars: He has a large scar on his left cheek and neck.
- Instant Runes: He is a master of his country's unique technique, forming extremely strong lightning spells. Over the six month time skip he teaches it to Luck.
- Lightning Bruiser: Fitting his attribute, he's very fast, easily keeping up with Noelle in her Valkyrie Armor and catching up to a teleporting Finral, and has powerful Lightning Magic.
- Mentor Archetype: He becomes this to Luck during the six month Time Skip, teaching him how to use magic arrays with natural mana to create True Lightning Magic.
- Power Floats: As Finral notes, he's so powerful that he can float in the air without using magic.
- Secret Test of Character: He performs one on Noelle, Finral, and Mimosa in order to see if they're powerful enough to defeat Magicula.
- Shock and Awe: He uses Lightning Magic, with a specialty in discharge spells. With natural mana he can even use True Lightning Magic.
- Skunk Stripe: His black hair has a large white patch to it.
- Undying Loyalty: He's very loyal to his princess Lolopechka.
Debut: Chapter 233 (Manga)
Magic Attribute: Plant
A Spirit Guardian of the Heart Kingdom.
- Green Thumb: He uses Plant Magic, letting him grow large vines.
- Mentor Archetype: He becomes this to Charmy and Rill during the six month time skip, teaching them how to use magic arrays with natural mana.
- My God, What Have I Done?:
- This is Played for Laughs. He states that he created a monster from training Charmy after he sees her use her giant sheep to gather all the food in a forest.
- He says this again after Charmy uses her Food Magic with an array to brutally defeat Halbet.
- Nice Hat: He wears a wide-brimmed hat.
- Always Chaotic Evil: There is nothing positive about them. Wherever they go, they sow ruin and misery.
- Ambiguous Situation: It is unknown how they interact with grimoires from other kingdoms. While they need a four-leaf grimoire user to fall to despair in the Clover Kingdom, this obviously wouldn't apply in other countries like the Spade Kingdom.
- Curse: The main reason anyone bothers summoning them in the first place is the fact that they can inflict incredibly potent curses on their summoner's targets, which are almost impossible to get rid of afterwards.
- Dark Is Evil: Black is their primary color and they're all extremely dangerous and violent.
- Deal with the Devil: Their terrifying abilities attract interest among certain denizens of the living world who thus proceed to forge contracts with them.
- Living Shadow: Their form in the living world, unless they have a five-leaf clover grimoire.
- Not So Above It All: Some of their personality quirks clash with their otherwise malefic personalities.
- Our Demons Are Different: They are vaguely similar to most traditional depictions of demons, but require a very specific type of grimoire in order to manifest their true forms and powers.
- Sorting Algorithm of Evil: There are seven levels of the underworld of which ten devils are matched to the Qliphoth in separate locations. The deeper the level, the stronger the devil, with Lucifero the final and most powerful devil. The upper devils are as strong as the Dark Triad while the lower devils are even more powerful.
- Summon Magic: What they need in order to enter the world of the living.
- Super Empowering: Devils grant their hosts their attributes and increased the power of their hosts' innate magic:
- The Anti-Magic Devil gives Asta the power to use its anti-Magic energy through the five-leaf grimoire.
- Lucifero greatly enhances Dante's Body Magic, letting him regenerate his entire torso and making him unable to die. It also grants him its Gravity Magic.
- Megicula gives its host Vanica its Curse-Warding Magic, letting her cast powerful curses.
Voiced by: Kenichirou Matsuda (Japanese), Cris George (English)
Debut: Chapter 1 (Manga), Episode 1 (Anime)
Magic Attribute: Anti-Magic
The devil inside Asta's grimoire. It has spoken to Asta before and while its intentions are not yet clear, it's obviously up to no good.
- Deal with the Devil: It makes a "devil's bargain", lending Asta its true power so he can help Yami defeat Dante in exchange for taking control of Asta's right arm, which Asta agrees to.
- Demonic Possession:
- Defied. When the devil attempts to take Asta's body during their Battle in the Center of the Mind and deliver a Curb-Stomp Battle to the resident villain, Asta puts his foot down, climbs up said devil's body, and is implied to have punched said devil into submission, taking the power for himself.
- Asta agrees to let the Anti-Magic Devil take over his right arm in exchange for sharing with him its true power to help Yami defeat Dante.
- Emotional Powers: The more out of control Asta's emotions get, the more the devil's power encroaches onto its host.
- Enemy Mine: Asta appeals to the Anti-Magic Devil's anger at Dante for beating its host, and surmises that, like himself, it wants to beat Dante too. Asta asks the devil to lend him its true power, which the devil agrees to with Asta's right arm as payment.
- Enemy Within:
- It has this role, trying to take over Asta's body when the Witch Queen removes his body's anti-magic limits. Asta refuses and instead uses its power to enter his Black form for the first time.
- When Asta is unsuccessful at helping Yami fight Dante, he willingly speaks to the devil, and enters a bargain with him, gaining its true power by letting it take over his right arm.
- From Nobody to Nightmare: Neither Lucifero or Zagred had any idea who he was. The former seems to believe that he's a low-ranking devil because of his anti-magic, while the latter was slain by his host Asta.
- Living Shadow: As he has no body of his own, he appears to Asta and others as a mass of black shadows with glowing red eyes and a mouth, vaguely in the shape of a demon.
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech: When Yami is captured by Zenon, Asta asks the devil for more power, even offering more of his body. It tells Asta he's too weak to handle any more power.
- Scary Teeth: He has a mouth full of jagged, pointy teeth, to add to his whole look as a monstrous devil.
- Superior Successor: At the very least, this devil aspires to be even greater than Zagred, who was the Big Bad up to the point of his destruction.
- Unsportsmanlike Gloating: He mocks Zagred after Asta cuts him in half. Since Asta is using his power, it's basically the same as him beating Zagred and calling him the loser. In the anime, shots of him are shown as Asta finishes Zagred off to symbolize it.
Voiced by: Showtaro Morikubo (Japanese), Kellen Goff (English)
Debut: Chapter 196 (Manga), Episode 115 (Anime)
Magic Attribute: Word Soul
A devil who is the true mastermind of the elves' massacre, tricking the humans to kill them on Licht's wedding day and casting the spell that suspended their souls so that they would be reincarnated. He did all this to obtain a five-leaf grimoire and body in the living world.
He uses the powerful Word Soul Magic, which makes anything he says become reality.
- All According to Plan: He says this after gaining a body, stating that Patry followed his plan that relied on him resurrecting the elves, gathering the magic stones, and summoning the Shadow Palace needed for him to come to the living world. He also predicted that Patry would be consumed by despair, turning his grimoire into a five-leaf grimoire that Zagred would use.
- Big Bad: He is responsible for the elves massacre and the one who manipulated Patry to get revenge on humans.
- Big Red Devil: Big Black Devil, but he looks the part with bat-like wings, horns, claws, a demonic tail, and wisps of dark energy radiating off him.
- Black Magic:
- Being a devil, he can freely cast Forbidden Magic, using the spell that suspended all the elves' souls so that they would be reincarnated.
- He utters Black Speech while using his magic, summoning eldritch monsters that absorb mana and life from anything that they touch.
- Break Them by Talking: He intentionally does this to Patry, telling him that it was him who masterminded the humans' attack on the elves, reincarnated them, and that Patry had followed his plans all along. By doing so, he obtains Patry's grimoire as his own and turns him into a dark elf as an enemy for the heroes.
- The Chessmaster: He took advantage of the humans' desire for magic power and manipulated them to kill the elves. He correctly predicted that Patry would want revenge and reincarnated the elves.
- Conditional Powers: As powerful as his Word Soul Magic is, it has its limits:
- He can't outright command someone to die, forcing him to have to summon weapons and monsters from the underworld.
- His magic is ineffective against Dark Magic, which affects the underworld. As a result, he's forced to actually dodge Yami's attacks as opposed to cancelling them out. When he's vertically bisected by Yami using Mana Zone, he can't heal himself and it gives the opening for Asta to kill him.
- The Corrupter: By possessing a minister, he convinced the humans to massacre the elves, telling them that the elves wanted to harm the kingdom. He notes that it was easy as the humans were greedy and power-hungry anyways.
- Dark Is Evil: A devil shrouded in dark energy with a pointed tail and bat-like wings, and the one who orchestrated the elves' massacre.
- Demonic Possession: He possessed the human minister in the past to convince the humans to slaughter the elves. One the elves are reincarnated, he possesses Baval and then Ronne before finally gaining his body.
- Demon Lords and Archdevils: In Chapter 243, Lucifero states that Zagred is a high ranking devil.
- Did Not See That Coming: He does not expect Yami to use his Dark Magic and Mana Zone to slice him from such a huge distance. When Asta takes advantage of it to destroy his heart, he can only express his horror in his dying moments.
- Disc-One Final Boss: Despite his status as the Greater-Scope Villain and eventual Big Bad, he's already defeated and he's not the only devil lurking around in the world apart from Asta's Devil.
- Fantastic Racism: He looks down on both humans and elves, viewing them as playthings who were foolish enough to follow his plans.
- Foil: To Megicula. Unlike Zagred, who used his own words as the basis of his magic, mentioning Megicula's name will get a normal person cursed, unless special measures are taken. Also, Megicula was already The Dreaded to the current generation of the Clover Kingdom, while Zagred operated from the shadows for centuries.
- Foreshadowing: For The Reveal that he was behind the elves' reincarnation and massacre:
- When Vetto opens his Evil Eye, he unleashes eerie magic that Yami describes as abominable, implying that he was reincarnated by demonic means. It's later revealed that it was not Licht but Zagred, a devil from the underworld, who reincarnated the elves' souls with Forbidden Magic.
- The reincarnated elves are afflicted with malice as a side effect of the Forbidden Magic, hinting at its sinister origins as the work of a devil.
- Chapter 148 shows Lumiere used Light Magic, described as being incredibly rare, and became close friends with Licht, proclaiming his hope that humans and elves could understand each other and live in harmony. Despite this, the elves were killed by Light Magic believed to have been Lumiere's. It's later revealed that it wasn't Lumiere who was the mastermind of the massacre but Zagred, who lied to the royals and used a magic tool containing Lumiere's magic to kill the elves.
- In Chapter 195, when Mimosa finds the unconscious body of David, who was taken over by an elf, she notes that there are faint traces of magic floating around that belong to neither humans nor elves. Zagred, a devil, had possessed his body before taking over Ronne.
- From a Single Cell: Licht's spell that uses the combined power of the reincarnated elves destroys his body except his heart, which allows him to regenerate his entire body. It requires Yami catching him off guard by bisecting his body, Yuno destroying his spears in time, and Nero healing Asta for him to finally destroy his heart.
- Greater-Scope Villain: He is the one who deceived the humans into committing genocide against the elves and cast the forbidden Reincarnation Magic, leading Patry to become the main villain of the story. Patry, unaware of Zagred's role, follows his plan of reincarnating the elves, gathering the magic stones, and summoning the Shadow Palace. This leads to Zagred gaining body in the living world, his goal all this time, so he can spread chaos and destruction to fulfill his sadistic desires.
- Half the Man He Used to Be: Yami slices him vertically in half using his Dark Cloaked Slash Equinox. Asta takes advantage of this to land the killing blow.
- I Am Not Left-Handed: Think by overwhelming him you can get through his Word Soul Magic? The mouth on his head isn't the only one that can cast it.
- Lean and Mean: A thin, almost emaciated-looking body and extremely evil.
- No Name Given: He's referred to as the Word Soul Devil until Chapter 243, whose name is revealed by Lucifero, Dante's Devil.
- No Ontological Inertia: Averted. Despite this being standard for the series, his magic doesn't disappear after he dies and continues to cover the Shadow Palace, forcing everyone to evacuate immediately.
- Obviously Evil: His extremely demonic, creepy appearance, which is formed when Yuno's magic stone is placed on the Shadow Palace altar, immediately lets readers know that a villain worse than Patry has been introduced.
- Organ Dodge: Thanks to being a devil he can move his heart, his weak spot, to avoid would-be fatal attacks. Yami's attack bisects him vertically, preventing this and allowing Asta to finally defeat him.
- Prongs of Poseidon: Type 2. He conjures a trident that dismantles anything it touches, and is a devil who functions as the Satanic Archetype.
- Reality Warper: His powerful magic is able to make anything he says become real, and he can seemingly cast whatever spell he wants by simply uttering the words.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: His red eyes highlight his evil, demonic nature.
- Sadist: His desire for a body is to spread as much destruction and pain wherever he goes. He revels in Patry's despair once he finds out the truth.
- Satanic Archetype: A high-ranking devil who is the true mastermind of the conflict between the humans and elves, convincing the royals to massacre the elves by telling them that the elves wanted to harm them and taking advantage of their greed. His desire for a body comes from an urge to wreak destruction wherever he goes, and he takes great pleasure in Patry's despair once he finds out the truth. He even uses a trident, which is traditionally wielded by the Devil.
- Scary Teeth: Noticeably pointed, small teeth and very evil.
- Sealed Evil in a Can: Secre used her Sealing Magic with the power of the magic stones to seal him for five centuries. The seal wore off by the time Patry had reincarnated into the body of Vangeance.
- Spontaneous Weapon Creation: Thanks to his magic, he can summon swords, spears, and a trident instantaneously.
- Storm of Blades: He can create a swarm of swords that Asta can't even destroy because theyre real blades instead of being made of mana.
- Summon Magic: He can summon blob-like monsters from the underworld that absorb mana and life force.
- Superpower Lottery: His Word Soul Magic can create almost anything he needs by speaking it out, making it ridiculously versatile. Besides outright causing his opponents to die, it can create almost anything he needs and summon giant monsters that absorb life force and mana. It's even mentioned during the fight just how powerful his magic is. It takes the combined power of many characters to finally defeat him.
- This Cannot Be!: In his final moments, he can only express his horror at being defeated.
- Too Many Mouths: When Asta and Yuno's teamwork actually overwhelms him, he gets pissed, and hundreds of red, jagged mouths open up to start destroying them.
- Too Powerful to Live: Up to his introduction he's easily the most powerful being introduced thus far, with his Word Soul Magic able to do anything he says and summon monsters from the underworld. Had he succeeded in escaping to the living world, he would have spread rampant chaos. Thus, shortly after he appears he's killed thanks to the combined efforts of numerous characters.
- Undignified Death: From his viewpoint. He's killed thanks to the combined efforts of the very humans and elves he mocked, and is ridiculed by a devil he previously looked down shortly before dying.
- Walking Spoiler: It's hard talking about him without mentioning his role as the mastermind of the elf massacre.
- Words Can Break My Bones: His word soul magic can do whatever he speaks aloud and is not limited by attribute like most magics. Return reflects Patry's Light Magic back at him, Vacuum Wall sucks in Yuno's Wind Magic, Heal restore his injuries, etc.
- Worf Had the Flu: He mentions at the start upon revealing himself that even though he acquired a physical body, it was still incomplete and thus cannot use his full power.
Debut: Chapter 222 (Manga)
Magic Attribute: Curse-Warding
The devil who cursed Acier Silva leading to her death after giving birth to Noel. A long time ago, it also made a deal with the Agrippa family and serves Dark Triad member Vanica.
It uses Curse-Warding Magic, weakening spell arrays that affect it and placing powerful curses on others.
- Agony Beam: It curses Undine to lay down in pain, and just being around it puts Lolopechka under agonizing pain as well thanks to her curse.
- Baddie Flattery: Calls them "marvelous" when Noelle, Nero, and Lolopechka to seal it almost works.
- Bad Powers, Bad People: Its magic is described by Undine as "hideous" and can induce fatal curses and agonizing pain on others. Fits with a sadistic devil.
- Curse: Megicula's Curse-Warding Magic is this, letting it cast powerful casts with the added effect of weakening rune arrays against it.
- Demon Lords and Archdevils: In Chapter 243, Lucifero states that Megicula is a high ranking devil.
- Duality Motif: When Megicula possesses Vanica's body, it takes over the right half, turning it black with dark goat horns and wings in contrast to Vanica's normal skin and blood attachments on the left.
- Faux Affably Evil: Speaks in a calm tone and "apologizes" for Lolopechka's curse reacting to it.
- Foil: To Zagred. Unlike Zagred, who used his own words as the basis of his magic, mentioning Megicula's name will get a normal person cursed, unless special measures are taken. Also, Megicula was already The Dreaded to the current generation of the Clover Kingdom, while Zagred operated from the shadows for centuries.
- Foreshadowing: Many readers were quick to notice that, despite of being stronger than Mereoleona, Acier's death was suspiciously mundane.
- The Ghost: Only a silhouette of the demon is shown, and it is yet to personally get involved. It takes over Vanica's body in Chapter 254.
- Greater-Scope Villain: Is responsible for placing the curses on the House Silva and the princess of the Heart Kingdom. Now it's no coincidence that Vanica, who is its host, is invading the Heart Kingdom, where Noelle is with the princess.
- Instant Runes: It can create many runes with its magic to bind Nero and destroy Lolopechka's Ludic Sanctuary.
- Irony: The first devil whose name was revealed, yet mentioning it comes at the risk of getting cursed.
- No-Sell: Thanks to its Curse-Warding Magic, rune arrays are ineffective against it, allowing itself and Vanica to easily break out of Nero's Mana Method: Eternal Prison.
- One Degree of Separation: Bizarrely, it acts as one between the House Silva and the Agrippa Family.
- Pragmatic Villainy: Megicula thinks it's best to kill Lolopechka immediately to destroy the Heart Kingdom's living wisdom. However, Vanica decides to kidnap her to have a strong enemy to fight in Noelle.
- Production Throwback: The marking that appears around Vanica's eye when Megicula takes over is a reference to the one that appears for users of the Mendelian Peas from Tabata's previous manga Hungry Joker.
- Soft-Spoken Sadist: Speaks softly, notably in normal text compared to the all capital letters used by most manga characters, while expressing its desire to toy with humans even more.
- Speak of the Devil: Literally. Even merely talking about its curse will put one in risk of being cursed themselves. Nilenia Agrippa seems to be either immune, or is already inflicted by a milder curse.
Debut: Chapter 243 (Manga)
Magic Attribute: Gravity
The most powerful devil who serves Dark Triad member Dante.
- The Antichrist: Lucifero is the strongest devil of them all, and if it manages to be released from the underworld the living world would be finished.
- Demon Lords and Archdevils: In Chapter 243, Lucifero states that Zagred is a high ranking devil like itself. It's revealed that it is the strongest of all devils and lives in the lowest level of the underworld.
- Gravity Master: Its magic is Gravity Magic, which his host Dante can use.
- Greater-Scope Villain: The most powerful devil. It serves Dante and is the source of his power, with Dante acting on Lucifero's behalf to form the Qliphoth and bring Lucifero to the living world.
- Meaningful Name: Its name is the Italian pronunciation of Lucifer.
- Satanic Archetype: Lucifero is Italian for Lucifer, the strongest devil in the lowest level of the underworld, and would end the world if it emerges.
Voiced by: Chapter 261 (Manga)
A devil who serves Nacht.
- Sleep-Mode Size: It's a devil that has a smaller form which lets it sit on Nacht's shoulder.
Voiced by: Kumi Takaragi (Japanese), Felecia Angelle (English)
Debut: Chapter 68 (Manga), Episode 46 (Anime)
Magic Attribute: Wind
A young woman who was the younger sister of the First Wizard King.
- Blow You Away: She uses Wind Magic.
- Bridal Carry: Licht carried her like that when he saved her from her tornado, which set the path to her becoming his bride.
- Character Death: At her wedding, someone using Light Magic attacked the elves and killed her along with everyone who attended the ceremony. It's revealed much later she was healed by Nero.
- Foreshadowing: Chapter 205 has Nero standing in front of a lifeless Tetia's body, wondering what she should do and if there is anything she can do. As the elves' souls are exorcised in Chapter 213, two children with pointed ears are seen watching. These children are seen again in Chapter 265, which reveals that they're descendants of Licht and Tetia, who was still alive and healed by Nero as well as pregnant with a surviving twin. Their descendants went on to establish the elf village Elysia in a Strong Magic Region in the Heart Kingdom.
- Her Heart Will Go On: Her husband and his tribe were killed by her fellow royals at her wedding, which led to the death of one of her unborn children and her to be grievously injured. In spite of this, after being healed by Nero Tetia went on to raise her surviving twin child, whose descendants would establish an elf village in the Heart Kingdom.
- Identical Ancestor: Tetia's female descendant through her and Licht's surviving twin child heavily resembles her as well as Mimosa, her distant niece.
- Inept Mage: In the words of her brother, "Your attribute is wind. How did you get caught in a mana tornado?"
- Interspecies Friendship: She was friends with the elves.
- Interspecies Romance: She was Licht's bride and was even pregnant before the wedding.
- Maligned Mixed Marriage: Her family, save for Lumiere, disapproved of her relationship with Licht, an elf.
- Posthumous Character: Shes long dead by the present day events of the story. However, its revealed much later that she didnt die during her wedding.
- Princess Classic: She was a princess among the humans and fits all the usual traits: beautiful, kind, seeking peace between everyone. She wasn't even jealous of Patry's idolization of her fiancé.
- Rebellious Princess: She was a carefree young princess of the Clover Kingdom who fell in love with Licht, an elf disliked by humans. Her family disapproved of their relationship, and were tricked by Zagred into killing all the elves and even Tetia at her wedding.
- Rescue Romance: She met her future husband when he rescued her from a magic tornado.
- Small Role, Big Impact: In flashbacks shes seen in few appearances to be Lumieres sister and Lichts bride, with the hope that their marriage and child would unite the humans and elves before she was tragically killed at the wedding by the royals tricked by Zagred. However, its later revealed that she was alive and healed by Nero and pregnant with twins, one of whom survived. Her descendants would go on to establish a village in the Heart Kingdom where Licht, Rhya, Fana, and Vetto would live after the defeat of Zagred.
- Someone to Remember Him By: After Lichts death at their wedding and the loss of their unborn son, she gave birth to their surviving twin child.
- Widowed at the Wedding: Licht turned himself into a demon to prevent Zagred from taking over his body, leading Lumiere to have to kill him. It's later revealed that Tetia survived thanks to Nero and gave birth to her surviving twin child.