Main Characters | Clover Kingdom (Black Bulls) | Diamond Kingdom | Eye of the Midnight Sun | Elf Tribe | Spade Kingdom | Others
All spoilers in Licht's entry are unmarked. You Have Been Warned.
Eye of the Midnight Sun
A group of rogue mages who seek to destroy the Clover Kingdom.
- Adaptational Expansion: The anime focuses a bit more on the underlings and the characters' fights with them during the Underwater Temple Arc, and some of their names are revealed in the credits.
- Human Sacrifice: One of the true purposes for the human members is to act as sacrifices in order to draw out the elf souls.
- Jerkass: Rather unpleasant people, to say the least. They all harbor hatred against the Clover Kingdom, and are willing to torture its citizens.
- Light Is Not Good: With the exceptions of Rades, Catherine and Vetto, their standard uniform is that of a white cloak with a black streak that contains the symbol of the group in the center. Suffice to say, the members of the organization are least than pleasant.
- Meaningful Name: A "Midnight Sun" leads to a "Golden Dawn", which foreshadows the connection between the two groups.
- Spell My Name with an "S": The group's name can be translated as "White Night Eye", "White Night's Demon Eyes", or "Eye of the Midnight Sun". The official translation uses the latter.
- Unwitting Pawn: Patry tricked the human members of the organization by promising them a new future, when, in truth, he used them as sacrifices in order to revive his elves friends from the afterlife.
Licht / Patry
Voiced by: Takahiro Sakurai (Japanese), Shouko Yuzuki (Japanese, young), Jerry Jewell (English), Jad Saxton (English, young)note
Debut: Chapter 9 (Manga), Episode 10 (Anime)
Magic Attribute: Light
The group's leader and an incredibly powerful mage. He is an elf whose race was wiped out because humans feared the elves' magic power.
He owns his own four-leaf clover grimoire and wields the incredibly rare Light Magic.
- Affably Evil: Polite and respectful in his mannerisms and seems to be genuinely kind to his subordinates, cradling Sally after she was injured by Asta before taking his revenge.
- Benevolent Boss: Licht is merciful, forgiving and kind to his subordinates, whom he loves like family. At least one is a childhood friend of his, and when two of them are captured in their attack on Clover, Licht immediately makes plans to rescue them. Until he reveals his true feelings toward his human followers, which are that he utterly hates them because they are egotistical and foolish. Turns out he was also using them as sacrifices, anyway.
- Big Bad: He was once the definitive main antagonist of the series, as he is responsible for causing much of the series' conflicts. However, he was demoted after Zagred appeared.
- Dark and Troubled Past: Patry was just an innocent elf boy who idolized Licht and, because of him, began to wonder whether humans and elves could understand each other. But during Licht and Tetia's wedding, the village was attacked by humans, one of whom Patry thought to be Tetia's brother, the First Wizard King, because the attacker used Light Magic. Patry, in the end, died at the wedding, but centuries later, found himself living in William Vangeance's body while looking like Licht.
- Dead Person Impersonation: For some reason, he was given Licht's appearance when put into Vangeance's body. Thenceforth, he presented himself as Licht, and even Rhya seemed to think that Licht had been reincarnated after Patry had first put his ghost into a human body.
- Despair Event Horizon: Patry crosses this after Zagred reveals the truth to him. It also turns out that this is how a four-leaf clover grimoire becomes a five-leaf like Asta's, which happen to Patry's and turns him into a Dark Elf after he gives into hatred and despair.
- Elfeminate: He looks much more feminine than the two elves of the Third Eye, to say the least. Patry looked pretty feminine when he was a kid.
- Facial Markings: Has a few of these around his eyes. Shown to have none when a child, but gained them once he had been reincarnated into Vangeance's body.
- Fantastic Racism: He hates humans, especially those of the Clover Kingdom, because he's an elf whose village was destroyed by humans long ago, although he seems not to hate the humans in his organization. And it turns out that he also considers Vangeance, with whom he shares a body, a dear friend. It's later revealed that he secretly hates the humans in his organization as well, and was just pretending otherwise. This becomes ironic when Zagred calls Patry out for betraying the ideals of the real Licht.
- A Father to His Men: Even looks cross after Asta hits Valtos. It turns out that he doesn't truly care about the human members of his organization and calls them unclean for hurting their fellow men.
- Foil: To Yami. Both care about their subordinates and are incredibly powerful sorcerers who wield rare magics, but the similarities end there. Licht is unfailingly polite and civil, hates the Clover Kingdom, and wields powerful Light Magic. Yami is crude and foul-mouthed, is one of the Clover Kingdom's most powerful knights, and wields Darkness Magic. Licht is also a well-dressed Bishōnen who wears flowing robes like the traditional image of a magician and fights at long-range while Yami is a Hunk with Perma-Stubble wears just as tank top and pants and enters close combat with his katana. As it turns out, even their similarity of caring about their henchmen doesn't exist.
- Freudian Excuse: His entire clan was wiped out by lesser sorcerers who feared Licht's clan for their incredible affinity with magic, prompting him to take his revenge on the Clover Kingdom for this wrongdoing. Not to mention that the first Wizard King was a friend of Licht and one of the few humans who knew of the elves' location, and the Wizard King was the only one who Patry knew could cast Light Magic, which led Patry to think that he had killed them.
- Hard Light: Attacks his opponents with lance-like projectiles formed out of light.
- Hero-Worshipper: He idolizes Licht, who was the leader of their clan. He is furious when he encounters Asta because Licht was the original owner of the Five-Leaf Grimoire and its swords, and he thinks Asta "stole" them from him.
- Identical Stranger: Has the same body frame, voice, and ki as Vangeance. But apparently, they're not the same person, as is shown after Vangeance takes off his mask. It's later revealed that they share the same body. They're still different people, but it explains why they share so many physical similarities.
- Interspecies Friendship: He even thanks Vangeance as his human friend after he takes over his body.
- Irony: After manipulating his human followers to revive the members of the elf tribe, it turns out that he in turn was being used as a pawn by Zagred, who was the one who orchestrated the massacre of the elves in the first place. Zagred did this in order to manifest his body in the world of the living.
- It's Personal: He wants to exact revenge on the Clover Kingdom for what they did to his people.
- Kill All Humans: Patry, once Julius is beating him, tries to kill all the citizens in the capital with his Arrows of Judgment. Though Julius stops him, this causes him to run out of time and magic power, and so Patry easily kills Julius. And not long after, he does the elf revival ceremony and declares it the beginning of the elves' vengeance against the humans.
- Light 'em Up: His magic is that of the light. He can use it for many uses, from shooting light projectiles, to create a whip that can destroy an entire cave, to heal himself if he needs so.
- Light Is Not Good:
- His motif, being a glittery and bright Bishōnen who ruthlessly impales Asta and Sister Theresa with magic projectiles. It's a bit ironic to see him get Light Magic, when it's the same kind of magic that was used to kill his race.
- After becoming a Dark Elf, he mixes this with Dark Is Evil with the use of Demon Light Magic.
- Long-Haired Pretty Boy: His long hair is so characteristic of him that it even sprouts from Vangeance's head as Patry takes over.
- Meaningful Name: Subverted. Despite using light magic, his true name is Patry, Licht is just a nickname he's using to pay respect to the leader of the elf tribe, whom he greatly admired.
- Moral Myopia: Orders or allows his followers to engage in wholesale destruction, but if their victims fight back, or worse, win, he goes into an apocalyptic fit about how his people are being "bullied" and how he won't tolerate it anymore. Zagred even calls him out on it because despite wearing Licht's face, he betrayed his ideals.
- Nice Hat: Wears a small kippah. There's also a third eye etched on the cross attached to the kippah.
- One-Winged Angel: After crossing the Despair Event Horizon and getting the five-leaf grimoire, he becomes a Dark Elf and now uses Demon Light Magic.
- Pointy Ears: Hinting that he's an elf.
- Reincarnation: An odd variant. Patry died at the wedding, but centuries later, he found himself in a human body while in Licht's form. In other words, his spirit left his original body and somehow went into Vangeance's. Patry guessed that Licht had cast the forbidden Reincarnation Magic on him and the other elves, but it had only worked on Patry. Then it turns out that the Reincarnation Magic was done by Zagred as according to plan. Patry does not take this well at all.
- The Reveal: Two big ones:
- When Vangeance confronts Julius in Chapter 142, it's revealed that the elf's body is that of Vangeance.
- In a flashback in Chapter 148, "Licht" has actually been Patry all along, and Patry became Licht because of what he thought was Reincarnation Magic.
- Roaring Rampage of Revenge: This is his main motivation. He idolized Licht and started to believe more in Licht's dream of elves and humans being able to live alongside each other peacefully, and was at the wedding between Licht and the Wizard King's sister, Tetia. But during the wedding, humans apparently of the Clover Kingdom attacked them, killing many elves, and Patry, recognizing that the magic used was Light Magic, thought that it was none other than Tetia's brother. Now Patry seeks to destroy the Clover Kingdom in response. Then it turns out this was all orchestrated by Zagred along with his reincarnation.
- Sharing a Body: Vangeance agreed to let him have joint ownership of his body.
- The Social Darwinist: He despises the weak, stating that "the victims are always the powerful ones. They're envied, feared, isolated, persecuted, and preyed upon."
- Spell My Name with an "S": His true name. Is it Patry, Patri, or Patolli? The official translation uses "Patry", but his character profile in Volume 18 uses "Patolli".
- Start of Darkness: His village's annihilation made the elf wroth against humans and into the villain he is now.
- Tautological Templar: He sees himself as a good man, so therefore everything he or his followers do is good, regardless of how depraved it is. Everyone who opposes him is "born guilty" and deserves to die for "attacking him first."
- Took a Level in Cynic: He was once a gentle child who thought that his race and humans could understand one another. Then humans destroyed his home during Licht's wedding, whom he idolized a lot.
- Unwitting Pawn: He was this to Zagred who even mocked and called him out on it for betraying what Licht stood for and made it so much easier for him to go according to plan. He ends up crossing the Despair Event Horizon for it... as planned.
- Used to Be a Sweet Kid: Patry was an elf boy who idolized Licht and would often go see him. But at Licht and Tetia's wedding, the elves were suddenly attacked by humans, one of whom used Light Magic. Because of that, Patry thought that it must be from Tetia's brother, the First Wizard King, but Patry and the others were soon killed... but centuries later, Patry found himself in a room, shocked that he had seemingly not died. He found himself to be in Licht's form, but the body he was in was a human's. He thought that Licht must have used the forbidden Reincarnation Magic on the elves, but it had worked only on him. Thus, Patry found himself to be the only one who could save Licht and the others by reviving them, and swore to destroy all the humans.
- Walking Spoiler: It's incredibly hard to talk about Licht without revealing that the Licht of the present and the Licht of the past are two different elves.
A trio of mages of the Eye of the Midnight Sun that, according to Licht, are the three strongest members of the organizaiton. They are given epithets in opposition to the three virtues of the Clover Kingdom.
- Co-Dragons: They function as Licht's three top lieutenants. Among them, Rhya is the most functional one, as Vetto and Fana are insane due to the Reincarnation Magic not being complete at the time they were revived.
- Come Back Wrong: Vetto and Fana suffer from radically different personalities to the one they had while they were alive, with Vetto becoming a mad brute obsessed with sinking his enemies into the most absolute despair and Fana being consumed by a deep hatred against those who oppose Licht. They get better once Rhya restores them in their artificial bodies, though they still harbor some of the hate against humans they had while being reincarnated.
- Chromatic Arrangement: Each one seems to wear one of the primary colors over their clothing (or lack of it in the case of Vetto). Rhya, the smartest of the three, sports a light blue scarf, has dark blue clothes under his coat, and the sleeves and ends of his coat are also blue colored; Vetto, the group's battle-hungry powerhouse, is not only blonde, but the fur that covers his entire body is also yellow; and Fana, the quietest initially, but who harbors a terrible rage and hatred, has pink hair and wears a maroon dress under her robe. Not in vain, in the anime, when Licht explains Yami and Asta what the Third Eye are, the leaves of the clover that appears in his speech are colored blue, yellow and red.
- Evil Counterpart: The Third Eye members are named after qualities that go against the virtues of the Clover Kingdom. Rhya is the Disloyal to the Clover's Faith; Vetto is the Despair to the Clover's Hope; and lastly, Fana is the Hate to the Clover's Love.
- Facial Markings: Each of them possesses red ones, hinting their nature as elves.
- Fantastic Racism: They all despise humans, especially those of the Clover Kingdom. It all stems from the time they were massacred by the humans who would become the residents of the Clover Kingdom when they were elves.
- Undying Loyalty: They all profess absolute obedience and loyalty towards Licht, their boss since they were part of the same tribe in the past.
Rhya (The Disloyal)
Voiced by: Hirofumi Arai (Japanese, episodes 35-39), Masakazu Morita (Japanese, episode 87 onwards), Brandon Potter (English)note
Debut: Chapter 51 (Manga), Episode 35 (Anime)
Magic Attribute: Copy
One of the three Members of "Third Eye", the elite squad of the Eye of the Midnight Sun.
Uses Copy Magic to copy people's appearance and magic. Once he has copied a spell, it is forever stored in his Grimoire, granting him an abnormally large repertoire.
- All Your Powers Combined: Can skillfully switch elements on the blink of an eye. Considering he can use the spells from a variety of powerful mages with different elements, this allows him to rapidly go from one spell to a completely different one in an instant, effectively making it this. It gets even worse once the elf revival is done, as Rhya becomes able to cast many elemental magics at the same time.
- Baddie Flattery: Calls Mereoleona beautiful and says that he would fulfill all her wishes if she weren't royalty.
- Breaking the Fourth Wall: After The Reveal that he has replaced one of the Magic Knight Captains, he asks the audience whether they can guess whom he's just replaced.
- Brilliant, but Lazy: Hates to do anything, but is supposed to be even stronger than a Magic Knight Captain.
- Comic-Book Fantasy Casting: His appearance is based on that of Japanese actor Hirofumi Arai. In fact, the katakana for his name ("Raia") can be arranged as "Arai".
- Ditto Fighter: Uses Copy Magic.
- The Dragon: Of all of the Third Eye, he seems the closest to Licht with the most authority.
- Eyes Do Not Belong There: His hair hides a third eye on his forehead.
- Healing Factor: Has this as part of his Copy Magic.
- Instant Expert: Repeatedly flawlessly demonstrates high-execution spells without any practice.
- Invisibility: Has this because he touched Gueldre Poizot's grimoire.
- Meaningful Name: Name sound similar to "liar" and can use his magic to shapeshift.
- Nice Guy: Licht saw him as such and as someone who loved people for who they are, which is why he thought Copy Magic fit Rhya and was a "kind-hearted" magic. Then again, in Patry's flashback, Rhya seemed more like a cool-headed, but rough guy, so he's not fully nice.
- Older Than They Look: Despite looking like a young man, he was with Licht when the elves had not been attacked yet, so he seems to be centuries years old. Since the elves were killed, and Patry was the first one seen to be reincarnated, Rhya might not be as old as it has been thought.
- Personality Powers: His ability to copy other people's magic reflects his sheer laziness. Everyone else has to work for their spells to appear in their grimoires, one by one, whereas he can just copy them as he finds them.
- Power Copying: Can copy others' magic after he touches their grimoires. The only thing that he seems unable to copy is Asta's anti-magic.
- Shapeshifting: Can take the appearance of other people and use their magic as well.
- Spell My Name with an "S": His name in katakana is "Raia", which could be rendered as "Rhya", "Raia", or "Liar". The official translation uses the second name, and fan translations used "Liar" for a while, given that it seemed the most meaningful choice. Tabata would later confirm that his name was meant to be spelled "Rhya" in the guidebook.
- The Worf Effect: His first real demonstration of his magic is simply to show just how far above him Mereoleona really is—he pulls out powerful spell after powerful spell, but nothing works. That is, until Patry does the revival ceremony. After that, Rhya gets boosted, being able to cast different elemental magics at the same time.
Fana (The Hateful)
Voiced by: Mao Ichimichi (Japanese), Jeannie Tirado (English)
Debut: Chapter 51 (Manga), Episode 35 (Anime)
Magic Attribute: Flame
One of the three Members of "Third Eye", the elite squad of the Eye of the Midnight Sun.
Wields Flame Magic of cataclysmic proportions, and is always accompanied by the Fire Spirit, Salamander.
- Avenging the Villain: In the Forest of Witches Arc, while part of her motivation to travel to the aforementioned forest is to take the magic stone in possession of the Witch Queen, her main goal is to avenge Vetto's death in the Seabed Temple at the hands of the Black Bulls.
- Back from the Dead: She and Vetto were resurrected in their fifteen-year-old elf bodies by Rhya thanks to Sally's research to help with the elf invasion.
- Berserk Button: There are many ways of garnering her hate, but what angers her the most is hurting her allies in any possible way. This ranges from hindering the goals of her boss to kill one of her elven allies.
- Beware the Quiet Ones: The most quiet member of the Third Eye but has the most sheer destructive power of them all, able to cast powerful flame spells.
- Combat Medic: Downplayed example. While she's not a medic per se, among the trio, she's the only one with a spell able to heal others (Rhya copied one of Patry's spells to heal himself, but not other people), while being a powerful mage too.
- Dark Action Girl: She's one of the strongest members of the Eye of the Midnight Sun and is implacable and merciless towards the ones she loathes (and gaining her hatred is an easy action).
- Dark and Troubled Past: This wasn't limited to human Fana, but elf Fana, who was killed on the wedding of Licht by presumably humans of the Clover Kingdom.
- Dissonant Serenity: Contrasting her personality when she was part of the Third Eye, she smiles and acts cheerfully as she tries to burn Noelle to ashes with her flames during their battle in the Shadow Palace.
- Dull Eyes of Unhappiness: Her eyes lack shines unlike most characters.
- Evil Redhead: Her hair is pink and she's a ruthless mage that is helping a terrorist organization to destroy the Clover Kingdom. She also sports pink hair in both her past and current elf body, but hers are lighter in color.
- Eyes Do Not Belong There Underneath the purple gem on her forehead is a third eye. It disappears once she lost control of her human host.
- Fiery Redhead: Zigzagged. Her hair is more on the pink side, and she initially appears to be quiet and stoic, but as soon as her hate increases, she becomes fierce and aggressive. Properly, she primarily uses Fire Magic. She subverts this once she returns to her old personality in the artificial body that Rhya made for her, being more cheerful and lively.
- Foreshadowing: Human Fana saying that she felt as if someone had entered her body hints at the fact that Vangeance and Licht share the same body.
- Gemstone Assault: Thanks to using the body of the human Fana she can use the Crystal Magic that her human vessel obtained from Mars.
- Half the Man He Used to Be: During her battle against Noelle in the Shadow Palace, the latter manages to blown up her upper half with her Sea Dragon's Roar. Fana is able to resurrect herself thanks to her Forbidden Magic enhancing her healing spell, however.
- Heal It with Fire: Possesses the fire-based healing spell Phoenix Feathers Robe (that she got from the body of the human Fana), that creates flames able to heal herself and others. She also has it in her artificial body.
- Healing Factor: Her Phoenix Feathers Robe produces flames that are able to heal her as they "burn" her body. After she is revived in her artificial body, thanks to the Forbidden Magic, she's able to even resurrect herself after suffering gruesome injuries (like having the upper half of her body blown up by Noelle).
- Icy Blue Eyes: Combines the natural blue eyes of the human Fana with Dull Eyes of Unhappiness, creating an unnerving effect. They upgrade to Red Eyes, Take Warning once she unleashes her full power.
- Identical Stranger: According to Patry, she looks exactly like the human Fana. They share the same name as well. This also hints to Lichts true intentions of forming the Eye of the Midnight Sun.
- Perpetual Frowner: She very rarely smiles.
- Person of Mass Destruction: Her Flame Magic when using Salamander is extremely destructive, burning large portions of the forest with large fire blasts. She loses a lot of destructive power once Salamander leaves her after Fuegoleon becomes its new master, but she still remains a threatening enemy, trading her previous capacity of destruction with an insane healing ability, while still being able to shoot strong fire attacks.
- Playing with Fire: Like Yuno, she uses one of the four elemental avatars, with hers being the fire spirit. She also uses Fire Magic in her artificial body like the human Fana, implying Fire was her attribute since the beginning.
- Pointy Ears: Has them, just like Licht and Vetto. This is due to being an elf. They disappear once she lost control of her host.
- Power Gives You Wings: In her new artificial body, she's able to create a pair of angel-like wings made of fire that allow her to fly and realize long range attacks to make up after losing the ability to summon Salamander.
- The Quiet One: She's the quietest of the Third Eye until she declares her hatred for you, that's it.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: Her eyes are normally blue, but when she activates her third eye, they turn red. This is also when she's at her most furious and destructive.
- The Smurfette Principle: Although there are other women in the Eye of the Midnight Sun, she's the only woman at the very top of the organization.
- Summon Magic: She can summon Salamander, the elemental avatar of fire.
- Taking You with Me: Like Vetto before her, as she is cornered by the Black Bulls after Noelle weakens Salamander with her Sea Dragon's Roar, she tries to immolate herself to take them with her. Fortunately for the human Fana, Asta and Mars manage to exorcise the elf Fana and are able to save her without any damage.
- Unstoppable Rage: Constantly in one of these. This is due to the trauma of her first death.
- Walking Spoiler: Its difficult to talk about Fana without bringing up that shes possessing a human of the same name.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: She has pink hair, both while possessing the human Fana and in both of her elven bodies (in which she sports a lighter shade of pink).
Vetto (The Despair)
Voiced by: Masaya Takatsuka (Japanese), David Wald (English), Orion Pitts (English, young)
Debut: Chapter 51 (Manga), Episode 35 (Anime)
Magic Attribute: Beast
One of the three Members of "Third Eye", the elite squad of the Eye of the Midnight Sun. A relentless fighter crushing and crippling every opponent he meets.
The sole known user of Beast Magic, Vetto can copy the attributes of various animals, and manifest these beasts as a translucent aura around himself. When pushed to his limits, Vetto can access Mythical Beast Magic, which breaks common rules of magic and copies unknown animals.
- Animal Battle Aura: His Beast Magic projects mana in the shape of a chosen animal around him.
- An Arm and a Leg: Loses his right arm during battle, which causes him to remember one moment of his past with Licht and open his third eye, and allows him to use magic to recover his arm.
- Armor-Piercing Question:Asta: Has anyone you fought here surrendered to you!?
- Ax-Crazy: He is a violent and bloodthirsty maniac who seeks to cause destruction towards his enemies.
- Back from the Dead: He and Fana are resurrected by Rhya in their fifteen-year-old elf bodies thanks to Sally's research to help with the elf invasion.
- Barbarian Longhair: Has long blonde hair which fits with his beastly image.
- The Berserker: Has the fighting style of a raging beast. It's also quite fitting due to his animalistic beast magic.
- Black Magic: His Mythical Beast Magic. It uses a sinister mana, is spoken with Black Speech, and breaks common laws of magic, completely regenerating his arm which regular Healing Magic cannot do.
- Black Speech: All of his Mythical Beast Magic spells are shown spoken like this in the manga.
- Blood Knight: Absolutely loves fighting, especially when it's with someone strong.
- The Brute: He's the group's physical powerhouse who loves fighting and killing. He's also not too bright having spent so much time buffed up with his Beast Magic, he had forgotten just how much of his supposed strength was due to it. His "strategy" of letting Asta stab him with the Demon-Dweller sword backfired immensely as a result.
- Carpet of Virility: Contributing to his beast-like appearance, he has a tuft of hair on his chest.
- Dark and Troubled Past: He once believed that humans and elves could get along, thanks to Licht, but after their village was destroyed, he lost hope and became full of despair.
- Determinator: This guy will just not stay down.
- Due to the Dead: After he dies, Yami makes him a small memorial, and Asta even lays down some flowers for him.
- Even Evil Has Loved Ones: Licht isn't just his boss, but his treasured friend from his childhood.
- Eyes Do Not Belong There: Vetto gains a slitted third eye on his forehead upon activating his Mythical Beast Magic.
- Fangs Are Evil: In addition to being a violent sadist towards anyone outside his team, he has a mouth filled with sharklike fangs. They become more prominent when using Mythical Beast Magic.
- Fantastic Racism: He hates humans for having taken away his hope and having destroyed his village.
- Half the Man He Used to Be: Yami splits him vertically in half as Vetto attempted his Last Breath Bullet.
- Healing Factor: He regenerates his entire arm that was blown off by Noelle when he activates his Mythical Beast Magic, which is stated to break magic standards and something even Healing Magic is incapable of.
- Hope Crusher: What he aims and proclaims to be. This is ultimately subverted in his final fight against the Black Bulls and Underwater Temple dwellers, since he was unable to make anyone give up hope thanks to Asta acting as a Hope Bringer.
- Irony: After trying and failing to drive the Black Bulls to despair, he himself falls into despair when he realizes too late that Asta's Demon-Dweller sword has consumed most of the magic enhancing his body, leaving him defenseless.
- The Juggernaut: Due to the enhancements from his magic, Vetto is near unstoppable, shrugging off most spells and thrashing enemies with his strength and speed. Even after Noelle uses her immensely powerful Sea Dragon's Roar he regenerates his arm using his Mythical Beast Magic. It takes a combination of Finral and Vanessa teleporting Asta and moving him with threads to be able to deal damage to him using Anti-Magic. He's only defeated once he lets Asta's Demon-Dweller Sword stab him, which ends up draining him of his magic enhancements.
- Kung-Fu Wizard: His main strategy is to stack a bunch of physical enhancement and regeneration buffs on himself before throwing down with his foes. He's also naturally pretty strong and durable though he overestimates just how strong he really is without his magic.
- Lightning Bruiser: He uses his magic to enhance his body, allowing him tokeep up with Luck while he uses his lightning, shrug off most attacks like they're nothing, and a physical powerhouse with his Beast Magic and hand-to-hand prowess. He becomes even stronger when using Mythical Beast Magic.
- Older Than They Look: Looks like a somewhat young muscular man, but seems to be centuries years old, since he was an elf who lived around the time of the first Wizard King. But since all the elves were killed at Licht's wedding, and Patry was later revived, Vetto might not be as old as he seems.
- Partial Transformation: Uses Beast Magic, which allows him to take on traits from particular animals. He's shown to use Bear Claw, Rhinoceros Armor, Cheetah Charge, and a spell using a Whale to go underwater. Mythical Beast Magic itself is much more powerful and mimics unknown animals.
- Pointy Ears: Hinting that he's really an elf.
- Sadist: He takes joy in inflicting pain to his enemies and breaking their spirits.
- Slasher Smile: His favorite expression is a vicious grin that flashes every single one of those razor-sharp fangs.
- Smug Super: Vetto's Beast Magic makes him The Juggernaut, and he's definitely let that power go to his head. He expresses scorn at the Black Bulls for even trying to put up a fight against him since he considers them to be insects in comparison. His confidence in his own strength proves to be his downfall. He spent so long buffed by his Beast Magic that he had forgotten what his actual natural physical limits really were. When he let Asta stab him with the Demon-Dweller sword thinking it would give him the upper hand, he didn't realize until it was too late that he had just depowered himself. And without his magic, he was helpless.
- Sympathy for the Devil: After Vetto's death, Asta says that although he was still a terrible man, something so bad happened to Vetto that it drove him to be the one deepest in despair and to hate the world.
- Taking You with Me: Once defeated, he tries to self-destruct and blow up the whole temple. Fortunately, Yami stops him by killing him.
- Too Dumb to Live: His "strategy" to deprive Asta of his Demon-Dweller sword was to let Asta stab him with it in a nonvital spot. A mage who relies entirely on magic for his strength let himself be stabbed by a sword that consumes magic. Vetto realizes he made a fatal mistake when he can no longer keep track of Asta's movements since the magic enhancing his sight is vanishing.
- Used to Be a Sweet Kid: Vetto was once a gentle little boy who cried after seeing people hurt a little bird. Then his home was destroyed by humans, starting him down the path into the brutal killer he'd become.
- Walking Shirtless Scene: Vetto never wears anything above the waist.
Voiced by: Ryotaro Okiayu (Japanese), Marcus Stimac (English)note
Debut: Chapter 6 (Manga), Episode 8 (Anime)
Magic Attribute: Ice
A mage sent to Saussy Village in order to find a certain magic stone. Heath keeps a very tight schedule and does not forgive a single second of difference. He leads a team of Mist Magic and Water Magic users, which complements his own Ice Magic.
- Cyanide Pill: Kills himself and his subordinates in order to avoid questioning and give out details about his employer.
- Fantastic Racism: Looks down on Saussy's villagers as little more than "filthy beasts", due to them being from the Forsaken Realm of Clover Kingdom.
- Good Scars, Evil Scars: Has a long scar running down the middle of his face.
- An Ice Person: Ultimately uses it to kill himself and his subordinates in order to keep their employer's identity a secret.
- Schedule Fanatic: He times every one of his and other people's actions. He gets serious against Asta once he realizes that fighting him has taken up exactly 25 seconds of his time.
- Undying Loyalty: He's so loyal to his employer, that he commits suicide just to avoid being questioned, and giving out any information about them.
Voiced by: Masayuki Akasaka (Japanese), Bryan Massey (English)note
Debut: Chapter 24 (Manga), Episode 21 (Anime)
Magic Attribute: Wraith
A former member of the Purple Orcas, he believes that he was unjustly fired from the Magic Knights because he wields a taboo magic.
Rades's Wraith Magic lets him reanimate dead individuals, putting them under his complete control. If they were mages, the zombies can use their own magic.
- Back from the Dead: At the moment of his death, his rage and hatred at being fooled and betrayed both cause his Wraith Magic to become more powerful. His new magic allowed him to put his own soul and the souls of Valtos and Sally back into their bodies.
- Bad Powers, Bad People: He makes monsters out of human corpses. Is it any wonder that a guy like that would try and destroy a kingdom full of innocent people over a wounded ego?
- Barrier Warrior: One of his special corpses, No.1 - Carl, has the ability to produce powerful magical barriers able to stand Fuegoleon's flames. According to Rades, in life, he was a powerful defensive mage.
- Crippling Overspecialization: Knows only one spell, of which fact he is ashamed.
- Don't You Dare Pity Me!: Screams at Fuegoleon not to pity him for only knowing one spell, only for Asta to coldly remark nobody pities him because he's a nasty piece of work who squandered his potential by becoming a psychopathic murderer.
- Evil Is Petty: He wants to destroy Clover and kill everyone inside the kingdom simply because he was exiled from the Magic Knights for his dangerous magic. He even gloats that "reasons are best when they're simple!"
- Eyepatch of Power: Since both of his eyes were intact when he was still in the Purple Orcas, the eyepatch most likely isn't just for looks. Later on, his left eye is revealed to be permanently bloodshot, a very unsightly thing that he kept covered.
- Flechette Storm: While the main ability of No.1 - Carl is the power to create magic barriers, it also has the power to shoot projectile weapons against its targets. However, this also proves to be risky, as during the moment where Carl attacks, a gap appears in its barriers for a split seconds and can be attacked. Fuegoleon quickly defeats it after realizing of this weak spot.
- Fluffy the Terrible: Witch the exception of Michael Caesar, all of his special corpses (that are intimidating super-zombies) have rather mundane names, such as Jimmy or Carl.
- Freudian Excuse: Rades gloats "reasons are best as long as they're simple."
- Freudian Excuse Is No Excuse: He was banished from the Clover Kingdom for having dangerous magic, and no one defended him because he was a commoner, but as Fuegoleon notes, it's woefully insufficient to justify his murderous rampage in Clover and is just an excuse to waste his talent.
- Hate Sink: The single most detestable member of his group, who doesn't even seem to care about any of his comrades.
- Human Sacrifice: Gets sacrificed as part of the elf resurrection.
- Making a Splash: One of his special corpses, No.3 - David, has the ability to summon and manipulate muddy water and using it in the form of two Combat Tentacles.
- Meaningful Name: "Spirito" as in spirit, and his given name is one letter off from "Hades". Two guesses what his magic is.
- Mook Maker: His magic allows him to create zombies by introducing his mana into corpses. He also created five powerful corpses numbered from 0 to 4 that acts as his own Elite Mooks.
- Necromancer: His magic lets him make a zombie army by putting some of his mana in a corpse.
- The Power of Hate: His hatred and rage over Patry using him as a Human Sacrifice causes his Wraith Magic to become True Wraith Magic. This more powerful magic allows him to bring himself, Valtos, and Sally back from the dead.
- Power Trio: Makes one with Valtos and Sally.
- Pride: One of his most defining characteristics. Rades is a very arrogant individual and if someone hurts his pride, he will quickly develop a grudge towards the person responsible for that. His main motivation for joining the Eye of the Midnight Sun steems from the humillation he suffered after being exiled from the Clover Kingdom because people feared his magic.
- Revenge: He joined the Eye of the Midnight Sun to attack the Clover Kingdom because he was forced out of the Purple Orcas squad and the Clover Kingdom due to being a commoner and having dangerous magic. After his revival, he's set on taking revenge on Patry for betraying and sacrificing him.
- Shock and Awe: One of his special corpses, No.2 - Alfred, has the ability to shoot lightning from its body, as well as direct them over its enemies.
- Slasher Smile: His default expression is a maniacal grin that is quick to vanish anytime things doesn't go as he planned.
- Would Hurt a Child: Tries to murder a little girl, just because she's from the Clover Kingdom, before being stopped by Asta.
- Wound That Will Not Heal: One of his special corpses, No.4 - Jimmy, has the ability to shoot magical bullet that contains a curse able to inflict wounds that unable to heal. It manages to hit Asta with this, but Asta manages to destroy the curse by cutting himself with his Anti-Magic sword.
- You Are Number 6: Zigzagged. His Elite Mooks zombies are numbered, but they also possesses their own names. If they were the names they had while alive or of Rades just decided to name them that way is unknown.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Has light purple hair.
Voiced by: Kimiko Jitsukawa (Japanese), Caitlin Glass (English)
Debut: Chapter 28 (Manga), Episode 23 (Anime)
Magic Attribute: Ash
A rather vain witch, obsessed with her own beauty and youth.
Casts Ash Magic spells that inflict random ailments.
- Ashes to Ashes: She uses cursed ash to drain mana from enemies to maintain her youth or deteriorate their five senses.
- Fairest of Them All: Detests other women for being cute.
- Flying Broomstick: Naturally has one of these.
- Hot Witch: Tries to pass as one, but it's pretty obvious that she's not as young as she looks.
- Human Sacrifice: In Chapter 170, she and George are shown to have been sacrificed.
- Life Drinker: She can drain people's mana to make herself younger.
- Older Than They Look: Only looks young because of her magic. Once she gets low on her mana, her true face is exposed.
- Undying Loyalty: Despite being pretty vain, she still is loyal to her master, calling him a god.
- Vain Sorceress: She really doesn't like being called "old" or "hag".
- Villainous Crush: Seems to have one on Yuno once she sees him and even answers his questions because she finds him handsome.
- Wicked Witch: Uses magic that deteriorates one's senses.
Voiced by: Daiki Hamano (Japanese), Chris Guerrero (English)
Debut: Chapter 24 (Manga), Episode 21 (Anime)
Magic Attribute: Spatial
A sorcerer who is extremely devoted to his master Licht.
He uses Spatial Magic for teleportation. Can open up portals from a distance and fire mana bullets to harass his victims, or teleport them against their will.
- Back from the Dead: Rades' Wraith Magic revives him after he was sacrificed.
- The Bad Guy Wins: Even though the Black Bulls beat Rades' creation at their HQ, No. 0 Michael Caesar, Valtos still gets the magic stone left there anyway.
- Big Damn Heroes: A villainous variant. Right after Licht beats Julius in a fight, Yami comes, ready to fight Licht, but Valtos appears just in time to teleport Licht to safety.
- Evil Laugh: Briefly laughs like this when he, Rades, and Sally flee the Black Bulls HQ with the magic stone.
- Facial Markings: Has lines on his face, and Yami even asks why he has them.
- Hiding In Plain Sight: Disguises himself as one of the many corpses in a pile during Rades' attack.
- Human Sacrifice: To his horror, he realizes that his master has never considered him to be a true friend. By then, it's too late.
- Power Trio: Makes one with Rades and Sally.
- Space Master: Can teleport people and send projectiles through the portals that he creates.
- The Stoic: Usually pretty calm, even when attacked by the Wizard King. He noticeably gets angry when Yami insults Licht and attacks him, however.
- Thinking Up Portals: Can make portals.
- Undying Loyalty: Utterly loyal to Licht, often calling him godly. He is the most shocked of the Midnight Sun trio when Licht reveals that he has never cared about him and the other human members of the organization. Yet even when he is revived, he still wishes to see Licht for answers.
Voiced by: Minami Tsuda (Japanese), Trina Nishimura (English)note
Debut: Chapter 33 (Manga), Episode 25 (Anime)
Magic Attribute: Gel
A sorceress with a bit of a scientist's vibe, keeping a ton of magical items and desperate to dissect and experiment on interesting individuals.
Her Gel Magic creates titanic blob-like salamander, which Sally often modifies by injecting them with magical products.
- Back from the Dead: Rades' Wraith Magic revives her after she was sacrificed.
- Blob Monster: Summons one after Henry attacks her and Rades with the Black Bulls HQ.
- Brainy Brunette: She's the magical equivalent of a Mad Scientist and she has black hair.
- Evil Sorcerer: She's a sorceress who likes to dissect and experiment on people who catches her interest. She also looks like a scientist as well, what with her Labcoat of Science and Medicine and her syringe.
- HeelFace Turn: She easily accepts Asta's reasoning, which is surprising for him, that limiting her ethical liberties would get her more funding for experiments, with a bonus of letting her get some less harmful tests than she originally had in mind from him. He also promises that she can dissect him after he dies, so long as she doesn't kill him. Combined with dying once giving her a strange new perspective, Sally immediately starts helping the Black Bulls.
- Human Sacrifice: She shares this fate with the other human members of the Eye of the Midnight Sun. Thanks to Rades gaining a new spell as he died, it doesn't last.
- Lecherous Licking: Licks on Asta upon being on top of him on their second meeting and also saying that she wants to check every part of his body.
- Mad Scientist: She really wants to dissect and experiment on Asta, expressing her desire with an almost child-like glee.
- The Medic: Seems to act as such, as she heals Rades's injuries.
- Messy Hair: It's scruffy and unkempt.
- Playing with Syringes: Carries a big syringe. She uses it on Baro to heal him, restoring his mud magic and mana, which turns him into a mindless monstrosity as a result.
- Power Trio: Makes one with Rades and Valtos.
- Smart People Wear Glasses: As the resident Mad Scientist and by far the smartest member of her Power Trio, naturally she wears glasses.
- Stripperiffic: Her clothes under her mantel. If they can even be called clothes.
Voiced by: Wataru Tsuyuzaki (Japanese), Adam Gibbs (English)
Debut: Chapter 33 (Manga), Episode 25 (Anime)
Magic Attribute: Wind
An underling whom Julius manages to retain while Licht arrives to get his men back.
- Blow You Away: Uses wind magic.
- Human Sacrifice: In Chapter 170, he and Catherine are shown to have been sacrificed.
- Rugged Scar: On the left side of his face.
- Undying Loyalty: Even if there were no protection magic cast on him, he would still not say anything to betray his master, claiming that the master had never abandoned him and the other members.