In literature and art, the color pink is used to represent sexual allure and it was frequently associated with the female body. Said association is derived from the color of a woman's vaginal flesh, as well as the naked human body (for people of light skin tones). In Japanese parlance, "pink" ("Pinku") is used to describe things with erotic or sexual qualities. (For example, "Pink film" refers to pornography.) Similar connotations are also found in French, with phone sex hotlines referred to as "téléphone rose" (pink phone). In Western civilization, the color pink was originally seen as a masculine color due to being a lighter shade of red. It began to be associated with women and femininity in the mid-19th century and was likewise given erotic meanings, which increased the use of pink in lingerie.
Pink has been given negative connotations with eroticism as well by showing the consequences of unprotected sex and uncontrolled lust. These creations often referenced sexually transmitted diseases and infections. For example, Pink was used to represent prostitution, a profession that frequently involved carrying and transmitting sexual diseases and infections. Pink was also involved in the representation of syphilis as early as 1545. Before its association with the iconic red ribbon, AIDs was referred to as "The Pink Plague" in the 1970s by the French because the LGBT community were blamed for the high transmission rate through unprotected sex note .
This trope comes into play if it's symbols, clothing, lighting, or an item on a sexualized or perverted character. Whether it's light from a street light, heart symbols, a weapon, an item of clothing, anything that can be connected to the character or the act.
This is not just when any character or action is highlighted in pink. It has to involve or represent erotic or sexual elements.
Contrast Pink Heroine and Princesses Prefer Pink for uses of pink that are (usually) non-sexual and found in kids' media. See also Rose-Haired Sweetie and Cheery Pink for other uses of pink symbolism that may or may not overlap. Real Men Wear Pink can come into play if a man is a playboy and is highly skilled in seduction. Averted with Pink Is for Sissies since this is when the color pink is seen as an unpopular, unmanly color.
- Ayakashi Triangle: Reo is an aggressively flirtatious bisexual girl with bright-pink hair.
- Black Clover: Vanessa Enoteca has long pink hair and makes pink threads with her magic. She's known as the Black Bulls' "lush of a witch", wearing revealing or little clothing and often flirting with handsome men.
- Bleach: Rangiku Matsumoto wears a pink scarf and is one of the most notable uses of fanservice in the manga. She is very flirtatious and has a buxom figure that she shamelessly flaunts when given the opportunity.
- DARLING in the FRANXX: Zero-Two has pink hair and is the most sexually aggressive person amongst the cast and is the primary love interest for Hiro.
- Dragon Ball: Master Roshi is sometimes associated with pink and he's shown to be obsessed with erotica.
- FLCL: Haruko has pink hair and constantly sexually harasses the 12-year-old Naota. After she crashes into him, he starts sprouting weird protrusions out of his forehead, and his contact with her symbolically initiates him into puberty.
- My Hero Academia: Nemuri "Midnight" Kayama is the "R-Rated Hero" who can emit a pink aroma as her quirk that can put her targets to sleep. Her outfit is supposed to invoke imagery of a dominatrix and her aroma is comparable to the effects of a date-rape drug.
- At the Moulin Rouge: The Dance: This painting by Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec in 1890 depicts crude dancing and sex workers, with the woman in pink in the foreground being identified as a prostitute. Before the advancement of medicine, sex workers were looked down on for transmitting sexual diseases and infections.
- An Allegory With Venus and Cupid: This painting by Angolo Bronzino depicted Venus and Cupid having sex. The pair are accompanied by pink roses and a pink pillow but researchers in 2015 discovered that the painting was used to depict Syphilis.
- Green Lantern: Green Lantern: The Star Sapphire Corps wear Stripperiffic pink outfits. They are driven by lust in one of their more negative phases and are often featured in sexual imagery. For example, Carol Ferris stripping naked in front of Hector Hammond while giving a speech about how perverted men are and Fatality having sex with John Stewart in an open field).
- Star Wars: Legacy: Deliah Blue is a pink-skinned alien babe. Her people are the Zeltrons whose culture was highly influenced by sexuality and the pursuit of pleasure in general. Most of their art and literature are devoted to the subject of sexuality, producing some of the raciest pieces in the galaxy. A talent agent named Ruudi Buundaz was particularly taken by their allure:
When you've been in this business as long as I have, you learn a few things: Nothing's more dangerous than arguing with a Wookiee, nothing's more foolish than gambling with a Jedi, and nothing's more alluring than a Twi'lek dancer. But I'm here to tell you that the last one is wrong. If you like your humanoids flexible, svelte, enthusiastic, and in multiple shades of red, then the most beautiful people in the galaxy are on Zeltros. Who needs Twi'leks?
- Wonder Woman: Aphrodite, goddess of love and desire, started being depicted primarily in pink during the Silver Age in Vol 1, but Vol 2 ramped up the erotic aspect with Aphrodite often wearing nothing but a transparent pink shawl paired with her acting far more flirtatious and seductive.
- Who Framed Roger Rabbit: Jessica Rabbit is a sultry, voluptuous toon-human who works as a lounge singer. Jessica Rabbit wears a red and pink outfit and has a way of impressing men.
- Black Swan: Nina Salyers' bedroom is mostly covered in pink and it's the first place where she masturbates until she stops after noticing that her mother is there.
- Closer: Alice Ayres/Jane Jones uses a pink wig and makeup for one of her stripper outfits.
- Flesh+Blood: Fille Fatale Agnes wears a pink dress on the poster and wants to learn how to seduce men. Subverted in the actual film, where she is seen wearing blue, red, or white dresses.
- Lost in Translation: Ms. Fanservice Charlotte is seen in pink panties whenever she is in her apartment. Additionally, she also dons a pink wig.
- The Professional: In one scene, Mathilda is wearing a new pink outfit and later expresses her interest in sex to Leon.
- Showgirls: Nomi Malone starts her journey to becoming a Las Vegas showgirl by becoming a stripper at Cheetah's, a seedy gentlemen's club that has pink lights both inside and outside. Nomi also wears a pink shirt at one point in the film.
- Tenacious D in The Pick of Destiny: After accepting the challenge, the Devil sings about how he's gonna rape Kage and the pink lights activate during these verses.
- Pink Erotic is the name of a television franchise of Serbian adult entertainment.
- Torchwood: In Day One, there is a pink gas that has the ability to possess living beings and increase their beauty, their sex drive, and their libido. While the host develops a mastery of sex and seduction, the Sex Gas would slowly kill its host by increasing the size of their brains and hearts while also shrinking their lungs. The Sex Gas would also kill the host's partner by disintegrating them and absorbing the ashes once the victim has climaxed.
- Ariana Grande has used a pink color scheme and aesthetic in her music videos to emphasize sex appeal.
- Aerosmith has the song Pink, which is incredibly blatant with its imagery.
"I want to be your lover
I want to wrap you in rubber
As pink as the sheets that we lay on
Cause pink is my favorite crayon, yeah"
- Cardi B performed "WAP" with Megan Thee Stallion and uses a lot of raunchy lyrics and sexual references. In both the music video and the live performance, pink is a common sight as shown by the lighting, the clothing, and pink decorations.
- Doja Cat: As part of her sex appeal, Doja Cat is associated with the color pink when she appears scantily clad. As shown by the album Hot Pink and the "grass outfit" where she wields pink hedge clippers, wears pink gloves and she has dyed her hair pink. Doja Cat is also seen as an icon for sex positivity and body confidence.
"Pussy all pink with a tan
And I play with it til my middle fingers are cramped up.
- The music video for Eric Prydz's "Call On Me" has the dancers wearing pink as part of the sex appeal.
- Janelle Monáe: Janelle Monae's song "Pynk" associates the color with a lot of sexual and intimate imagery. The video features dancers in pink pants that resemble a labia.
"Pink like the inside of your, baby
Pink behind all of the doors, crazy
Pink like the tongue that goes down, maybe
Pink like the paradise found
Pink when you're blushing inside, baby"
- Julia Michaels's song "Pink" is about sex with a boyfriend. She even clarifies that it's not a metaphor for anything else in the chorus:
"There are no innuendos
It's exactly what you think
Believe me when I tell you that he loves the color pink, oh"
- Katy Perry: The music video for "California Girls" has Snoop Dogg wearing a pink tie with a candy-themed pink waistcoat. The women in the video also wear some variant of pink in the video.
- Perturbator: The cover art for Sexualizer features pink with female vampires in suggestive positions.
- Shakira: In the music video for "Can't Remember To Forget You" with Rihanna, there is a scene that has Shakira bathing in water to salmon pink lighting.
- Classical Mythology
- As a deity that represents beauty, love, and pleasure, Aphrodite is commonly associated with the color pink.
- While Persephone was usually associated with darker colors, a pink pomegranate is what allows her to stay in the underworld. Some interpretations of the myth treat it as a coming of age story with the pomegranate representing a sexual awakening.
- In crystal therapy, rose quartz, a strikingly pink crystal, is beneficial for promoting romance and sexual intimacy. The rose quartz is also believed to be beneficial in assisting the energies of the heart chakra downwards, to those regions where an energy boost will apparently do the most good.
- Warhammer and Warhammer 40,000: Pink is one of the sacred colours of Slaanesh. A Dark God of Chaos, famous for being the embodiment of pleasure, lust, desire, passion, and basically any kind of earthly gratification that is pursued pure hedonism. Including pain as pleasure, and any kind of sexual kink.
- The Vagina Monologues is about various discussions about the vagina (related to sex, menstruation, pubic hair, etc). Promotional images for the play often feature a lot of red and pink, evoking imagery of the body.
- The Binding of Isaac: The Lust miniboss has pink skin. Though it's worth noting that this boss' theme focuses more on STDs than sex.
- Bioshock: The Eve's Garden cabaret features pink lights. Likewise, in Burial At Sea, Cupid's arrow, which sells erotic materials, such as books, has pink lights too.
- Bioshock 2: In Little Eden Plaza, there is a brothel known as The Pink Pearl. It was originally a hotel called "The Pearl" but was changed to "The Pink Pearl" after it became a brothel and its residents became prostitutes. Fittingly, the beds are lit up with pink lights.
- Catherine: The game has a predominant use of pink and is about a man caught in a love triangle between Katherine McBride, his loyal and steadfast girlfriend, and Catherine, a gorgeous and carefree woman.
- Danganronpa V3: Killing Harmony has Miu Iruma, a Gadgeteer Genius who dresses all in pink. By far the most foul-mouthed and vulgar of the cast, Miu is also an extremely perverted Proud Beauty who boasts about her intelligence almost as much as she does about her bust size.
- Dead Rising
- Pink is used to highlight erotica photo elements, which is when Frank takes photos of a woman's cleavage and/or crotch.
- Dead Rising 2 and Dead Rising 2: Off the Record:
- Randall "Randy" Tugman is a psychopath who uses the outbreak in Fortune City to lose his virginity by forcefully marrying his hostage. Randy's arena has pink in the background and Randy wields a Giant Pink Chainsaw that he gives phallic connotations.
- Amber and Crystal Bailey are the alluring and cruel hostesses of Terror is Reality. They work with the central host, Tyrone King, in robbing Fortune City during a zombie outbreak. They capture Rebecca Chang in the Shoal Nightclub and fight the protagonist with katanas. Their arena is covered in pink lighting and the pair mock the protagonist by making sexual references as part of their insults. Their hostage, Rebecca Chang, has flirtatious interactions with the protagonist in this level.
- The Silver Strip in Fortune City has some shades of pink due to the "Hot Excitorama", a sex shop decorated with pink.
- In Dead Rising 3, Dylan Fuentes is the psychopath who represents the deadly sin of lust. Dylan wears a pink cowboy hat, pink shoes, and pink underwear. His theme also includes lyrics that appear to be Virgin-Shaming and laughing at the response, as they appear to be asking "When was the first time you had sex" before changing the question to "When was the last time you had sex".
- Far Cry 3: Bambi "Buck" Hughes is the first main villain the player must face and he's shown to be a perverted psychopath with a lust for violence. Buck also bought Jason's friend, Keith, and has been raping him repeatedly. When Buck tries to kill or capture Jason to be his next sex slave, the arena is decorated with pink lightbulbs. As part of his design, Buck has a tattoo of a deer with 2 pink roses in the center of his chest. On a symbolic level, the fight with Buck is akin to a sexual awakening since Jason's sanity takes a nosedive. After learning Riley's death, his mission turns from a heroic rescue mission to a bloodthirsty revenge plot as Jason fights to avenge his fallen brothers while following the commands of Citra, who desires to make him her "perfect warrior".
- Far Cry 4: Yuma Lau is Pagan Min's second-in-command and she wears pink, like her boss. However, while Pagan wears pink out of love for his mother, Yuma makes sexual references while wearing the color. She uses hallucinogenics to torture Ajay Ghale and disarms him by seducing him in his drugged state. It's implied by Pagan's comments that she has a habit of molesting and/or castrating male victims, as he says "I want him alive, with all the bits that count intact." She also uses the word "weak" to describe things she doesn't like and she hates the idea of romance.
- Fate/Grand Order: Medb, the Celtic Queen known for her high sex drive, has pink hair. She frequently flaunts her beauty whenever she can, and many of her abilities center around sex; her 'Noble Phantasm' is basically her raping her enemies.
- Kiara's dresses always have a pink lining or underlayer, in some forms as exposed undergarments. In Fate/EXTRA CCC, she is a corrupt nun who has achieved a sex-fueled version of Enlightenment and uses it to pleasure herself; in Grand Order, she is an Anthropomorphic Personification of the concept of desire itself, whether in a sexual, platonic, or abstract sense... and uses it to pleasure herself.
- God of War 3: Aphrodite makes her first physical appearance in Olympus. She has a high sex drive and is found having sex with her handmaidens as both Greece and Olympus are falling apart because of Kratos. Aphrodite's Chamber has a pink and purple color scheme to reflect her title as the goddess of sex.
- Grand Theft Auto V: The Vanilla Unicorn is a strip club that possesses a neon pink and red aesthetic.
- Hades: Aphrodite is a lustful and flirty goddess of love, and her eyes, symbol, boons, and hair are all pink. Aphrodite is also the only character who appears in the nude (with her hair covering up anything too explicit), and her boons are themed around charm and seduction.
- HuniePop: Kyu Sugardust is a love fairy, wears pink and has pink hair, and is a very noticeable sex maniac who doesn't hesitate to send pics of herself masturbating to the protagonist.
- Injustice 2: Poison Ivy is a seductive villain who can kill people by kissing them with poisonous lips. In her intros, she emerges from a pink flower with pink pheromone dust surrounding her as she hits on her opponents.
- Lollipop Chainsaw: Josey is the fourth Dark Purveyor fought by Juliet, he is known as the "Master of funk" and makes sexual remarks towards Juliet. Josey wields a pink keytar, wears a bright pink fur coat with a pink star, a pink top hat, and pink high-heeled sneakers. His arena also has a pink and purple aesthetic and it has pink lighting.
- Mafia II: Joe is a member of the mafia and he enjoys spending his nights with prostitutes. In the '50s, Joe's apartment gets redecorated with a pink color scheme.
- No More Heroes: Bad Girl is one of the assassins from the United Assassins Association, she wears a pink frilly dress and there's a lot of commentary on the sex industry. Bad Girl is introduced bludgeoning clones who wear S&M gear and Travis is so disgusted by her psychopathy that he calls her a "Perverted killing maniac". After stabbing her, she forces Travis to forfeit the fight out of pity before finally dying (her body recreating a sex scene as she lays on top of Travis). The lyrics to her theme, Pleather for Breakfast, are also very raunchy.
"I love you babe
That's what you said yes? no?
That's the cue for me
So let's go"
- Saints Row: The sex stores all have a mix of red and pink, some clothing from those stores also has a pink design by default. Technically Legal, a strip club in Steelport and Stilwater also uses pink as part of their aesthetic.
- The Sims 4: The "Flirty" moodlet is associated with the color pink, which can come from actions such as flirting with another Sim, taking a "steamy shower", or watching the romance channel. Flirty Sims may then have the chance to "Woo-Hoo".
- The Wolf Among Us: The "Pudding & Pie" is a strip club owned by Georgie Porgie and it has pink lights outside to signify its presence.
- Hazbin Hotel:
- Angel Dust is a promiscuous sinner demon who has bright pink spots throughout the white fur on his body. His suit also features a white/pink color scheme.
- Valentino, Angel's boss, is a pimp Demon Lord who keeps sex slaves for his sex club, he wears bright pink shades and his alluring smoke has bright pink colors.
- Helluva Boss: While many succubi appear in the series, one notable example is Verosika Mayday a famous succubus celebrity who organizes concerts on Earth where she uses her succubus nature to charm humans into lust, and her normal form has bright pink skin with pink clothing. She also implies that her former relationship with Blitzø was a thing thanks to the latter's "talents".
- Mystery Skulls Animated: Lewis Pepper is the ex-lover of Vivi Yukino and he seeks to reunite with her despite his undead state. Lewis is depicted with a black and pink design and is unrelenting in his attempts to be with her again. In part 4 of the animation series, Lewis's backstory is accompanied by the song Hellbent.
"I've been hellbent, baby
Hellbent on lovin' you all day long
Hellbent on drugs 'cause it turned you on
Don't know what else to do
I've been hellbent, baby
Hellbent on makin' you love me, too
Even though not what I'm supposed to do
I don't give a damn"
- Overly Sarcastic Productions: In the videos about Aphrodite, the goddess of love, beauty, pleasure, passion, and procreation is colored in pink.
- Ennui GO!: Izzy Pritchard always dyes her hair a bright pink and has shown to be extremely lustful toward anyone who catches her fancy.
- hololive: Former member Aloe Mano was a succubus who had many pink motifs throughout her body; her hair, her heart locket, and her skirt were all pink.
- American Dad!: Francine Smith is depicted as the family matriarch and she's shown to have a healthy sex life. A lot of people are attracted to her, Stan wanted to marry her because of her looks, and the episode Poltergasm was about her feeling unstimulated about sex. Francine wears a pink dress, a pink nightie, and pink underwear.
- Archer: Lana Kane is the deuteragonist and she's based on the sexualized female leads from spy films. Lana is widely regarded as one of the sexiest workers in ISIS to a point where she's dated Archer, Cyril, Pam, and even Ray (who's openly and proudly gay) says that he wouldn't turn down Lana. In one promotional material, Lana is accompanied by a pink background.
- The Cleveland Show: In "Y Tu Junior Tambien" Cleveland Junior dates and later marries Cecilia, they move into an apartment that's illuminated by a pink neon sign (that shines through one of the windows). On their first night, Cleveland Junior is anxious about sharing a bed with a woman for the first time but he immediately gets over it when he sees Cecilia in a pink alluring nightie as his voice drops by the ten-fold. However, they don't have sex because she figures out Cleveland Junior is only 14 and they both accept that they're too young for marriage.
- Family Guy:
- Lois is the family matriarch and is shown to have a healthy sex life. She wears a pink nightie and wears pink boots in "Lois Comes Out Of Her Shell." Lois also wears a pink outfit with pink lipstick while making a plaster body-part cast of Daryl Hall's penis.
- Quagmire is the sex-obsessed neighbor and friend to the Griffin family. His house has a pink and purple color scheme. His bedroom has pink walls, a magenta bed, and mirrors on the ceiling. When he worked as a stripper in "American Giggolo", it involved pink lighting, pink smoke, and he wore pink with Peter when he worked as a prostitute with Peter as his pimp.
- Gravity Falls: The Love God is a cherub who has the ability to use potions to make people fall in love. When the Love God uses a pink potion on a snake and a badger as a demonstration for Mabel, she says, "They're gonna make a snadger!"
- The Simpsons:
- The Lovejoys were originally depicted as the standard religious family. In later seasons, the reverend and his wife were depicted as being adventurous with their sex lives. Reverend Lovejoy wears a pink shirt; Helen Lovejoy wears a pink sweater and also wears a pink nightie.
- Dr. Julius Hibbert and his wife Bernice Hibbert wear pink and both are shown to have an open relationship. They hosted a key party, both were shown with a group of swingers, and Hibbert has a sexual history. The good doctor performed as a stripper under the name of "Malcolm Sex" and he apparently got sued by a housemaid for sexual harassment after kissing her under the mistletoe.
- In "What Animated Women Want", Homer wants to apologize to Marge by making sex more exciting, so he goes to a local sex shop. He buys and builds a lot of pink sex toys and equipment, but gets injured by them while showing them to Marge. While they don't use the items, it does allow them to make amends and they sit together while burning the toys.
- Solar Opposites: In "Terry and Korvo Steal a Bear", Tim and Cherry exchange the stories about their scars and they decide to have sex in a room that's lit up with pink lighting.
- South Park: Most of the strippers in the Peppermint Hippo have pink as part of their uniform. Classi also drives a car that has her name written in pink with a penis logo. According to Classi, her name is written with an I, and a little dick that hangs off the C that bends around and fucks the L out of ASS; CLASS-I.
- Villainous: Miss Heed is a flirtatious superheroine and influencer with pinkish skin, hair, and clothes, decorated in heart shapes and motifs. Her outfit bares her midriff and her abilities involve brainwashing others with pheromones in her perfume.