If there's one place in the world where Sturgeon's Law is in full effect, it's The Internet. In an age where just about anyone can create content and post it for others to see, the online community can serve as a prime example of quantity over quality. This naturally extends to the Let's Play community as well, with new YouTube videos posted left and right filled with asinine commentary, the game being played on release date without any idea if a Let's Play of it would be a good idea, MacGyver-like technical solutions such as filming a TV screen on a camcorder, barely edited material with minutes upon minutes of filler, and worst of all, barely any quality control to sort out the good videos from the bad ones. One should take it as a rite of passage to view at least one video game walkthrough narrated by a squeaky-voiced college student who imagines himself to be the next Bob Saget, and may the Lord help you if they try and sing along to the game's background music.
This is where Retsupuraenote comes in: an experiment hosted by Something Awful regulars Michael "slowbeef" Sawyer and Ben "Diabetus" Whitfield (with recurring guest appearances by Proteus, Shmorky, Dave_o, and Psychedelic Eyeball, among others) where the two find the worst of the YouTube community (usually Let's Plays, but sometimes extending to webcam videos, game reviews, and television shows) and then mock the living shit out of them, though they do tend to mock LPers that are just sorta weird. As such, Retsupurae has become widely appreciated for putting terrible Let's Players back in their place.
They have also expanded their range to include riffs on longplays of full-length video games ("Wrongpurae") and Flash submissions to Newgrounds ("Retsufrash"), focusing on the game itself rather than the person playing it (most of the time, anyway); and newer series like "Crappy Pasta", which was later renamed "Slowbeef's House of Horror", in which slowbeef does dramatic readings of terrible video game-related creepypastas, "Kickstarter Nonstarter" and "IndieNoGo", where they riff on ridiculous Kickstarter and IndieGoGo projects, respectively. Beef and 'Betus also record a podcast called Retsutalk, which can be found here.
Their videos can be found on YouTube, and the team also has an offshoot feature on the Something Awful front page named Webcam Ward. The crew has made a number of Livestreams, many of which can be found here. The first was left unrecorded since it was merely meant to be a test, but a fan has recovered said test Livestream and uploaded it to Youtube.
Aside from slowbeef and Diabetus' videos, many others have tried their hand at Retsupurae in light of their success, especially other Something Awful regulars such as Chip Cheezum and General Ironicus, whose videos can be found on the former's YouTube channel. There's also a fair amount of overlap between accounts, and it's not uncommon to see slowbeef guest-commentate on Chip's channel, for instance. There's also several smaller Retsupuraers that have sprung up, such as LesBeardly, LargeMentalBlock, College Reunion Group, TheStrawhatNO!note and VNDLP.
- Afterfall: Insanity
- The original Alone in the Dark trilogy.
- Altered Beast
- Animal Soccer World
- Arrival in Hell 1 and 2
- Car Escape
- Clock Tower II: The Struggle Within
- Cobra: Space Adventure
- Cobra: The Shooting
- Crime Patrol
- Crime Wave
- Dark Seed
- Dark Seed II done twicenote
- Deep Fear
- Deep Freeze
- Don Quixote: A Dream in Seven Crystals
- Dracula Unleashed
- Earnest Evans
- Electrical Beast
- Esh's Aurunmilla
- Evil Zone
- Exmortis 1, 2, and 3
- Final Zone II
- Haunted Museum
- Hopkins FBI
- I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream
- It Came From The Desert
- Jurassic Park (Arcade)
- King's Quest V: Absence Makes the Heart Go Yonder!
- King's Quest VI: Heir Today, Gone Tomorrow
- King's Quest VII: The Princeless Bride
- Last Alert
- Mad Dog McCree
- Metroid: Other M
- Minnesota Fats Pool Legend
- Mortal Kombat Mythologies: Sub-Zero
- The Mystery of the Druids
- Ninja Hayate
- Noir A Shadowy Thriller
- ObsCure II
- OverBlood 2
- Paradigm Shift
- Phantasmagoria (crossover with Lowtax)
- Plumbers Don't Wear Ties
- Psycho Killer
- Riana Rouge (crossover with Lowtax)
- Ripper (crossover with Lowtax was cancelled, restarted later with Diabetus and slowbeef)
- Rise of the Dragon
- Road Avenger
- Room Break
- Shadow of Destiny
- Shadow of the Comet
- Shadow: War of Succession
- Shinobi X (aka Shinobi Legions)
- Sir Ron Lionheart
- Snow Job
- Soldier Boyz
- Sonic 06
- Sonic EXE
- Star Strike (1995)
- Super Don Quixote
- Super Luigi Universal
- Surgical Strike
- Tattoo Assassins
- Time Gal
- The Town With No Name
- T.R.A.G. (Hard Edge)
- The Trapped Trilogy
- Urban Runner
Retsupurae provides examples of:
- Accentuate the Negative: Pretty much the entire point.
- Actually Pretty Funny:
- The only reason The Marios is still up (it was a troll video that managed to be entertainingly bad enough to fool the RPers until the LPer outright mentions them partway through).
- Several Retsupurae victims, like OmegaEdge29, feel this way about the RP video(s), particularly those that feel like the videos that were riffed on were Old Shames.
- This is how Wrongpuraes started: the Wrongpurae of Last Alert was done as filler and cubex55, the owner of the longplay YouTube channel it was hosted on, enjoyed it so much that he offered them his channel's entire library.
- Alternative Character Interpretation: In-universe Running Gag. About half of the videos have someone speculating on the life of the LPer or protagonist.
- Arson, Murder, and Jaywalking:
BLAZZERDRAGON "... Eat a dick."
- slowbeef and Diabetus are very disturbed by the "Users who liked this video also enjoyed" sidebar for Arrival in Hell 2. Featuring "Meet'N'Fuck Kingdom", "Bowser and Peach Hentai", and the Eddsworld flash "Dental Appointment".'
- After Diabetus reads several of PewDiePie's other video titles, coming across things like "MY TOILET DIED ;_;," "LIBRARY OF NAKED MEN," and "WTF THAT VAGINA HAS ARMS," he comes across one titled simply "Siren: Blood Curse Part 2." It's brought up how weirdly normal that last one is in the Retsutalk about the video.
- At the very end of LesBeardly's video on Blazzerdragon (after a lengthy rant against the LPer):
- Author Appeal: There are a few recurring trends in this regard.
- Big "WHAT?!": Frequently.
- Bread, Eggs, Milk, Squick: In this video.Chip Cheezum: "Name: Christopher. What can I say about myself? Um, dot dot dot. I like Yu-Gi-Oh!, Pokémon... and vore. My dream (Ironicus's laughter) is to design the next Sonic the Hedgehog game."
Diabetus: Again, he puts the most important details second. "The music was slightly changed, Toad's head was split open..."
- In the second part of the Lechuza riff, slowbeef takes special note of the "Thank You" part of the credits, which goes to Lasse Carlsson, Linda Wagnerius, and Bloodbath Gojira Pripps.
- In Crappy Pasta III: Hear Its Cry, the author goes into great detail describing the blocks and the music of the Blood Whistle treasure room, and then casually mentions that Toad's skull was split open and pouring blood.
- Captain Obvious: Lots of bad LPers point out things that are blatantly obvious as a substitute for worthwhile commentary. OKAY!
Mike Dawson: These pillars hold up the mausoleum.
- Diabetus also had a moment of this in Last Alert. In one cutscene, three characters are mentioned named Red, Blue, and Black. Diabetus' reaction? "Those are colors."
- From Dark Seed:
Diabetus: Wow! I know how things work! I understand basic architecture! Guess I learned enough for today, bye!
Rookie Partner: [under a sign reading "Danger: High Voltage"] Holy— This thing'll fry you!
- From Crime Patrol:
slowbeef: Thank you. Thank you for explaining what signs do.
- Darker and Edgier: Let's...I can't even pretend to guess has the group riffing on Episode 4 of Super Luigi Universal, and the inexplicable use of swearing in the episode, coupled with Waluigi 'kidnapping' Rosalina in a drawn out Mario Kart chase isn't overlooked. Despite giving the episode a particularly scathing riff, the group still found it amusing and somewhat endearing.
- Deadpan Snarker: Diabetus.
whiplash308: Oh, that's a platform, not an enemy.
- In "Retsupurae 3000" they manage to snark at the game protagonist being a deadpan snarker.
- General Ironicus tends to be this as well:
General Ironicus: Yeah, it's a platform. Good job, buddy. Stop trying to kill your only means of progress.
arm4g3dd0nx: "I'm the Easter Bunny!" (in a falsetto, making the character bunnyhop)
- Probably the most deadpan of the RPers was occasional guest Dave_o. As seen here:
Dave_o: He turned into the Easter Bunny, did you see that? (seconds later, a Wall of Text appears and the LPer predictably starts reading it) Oh my god, you guys considered me! You did a video that takes into account that I can't read! Thanks!
- Devil's Advocate: A lot of Diabetus' commentary comes from justifying the videos/games in funny or sarcastic ways. Same goes for Dave_O and General Ironicus.
- Dull Surprise: Several characters throughout the flashes they've played as well as a few LPers.Policeman [text]: Jack, we really need your help on this one!!!
Policeman [voice]: Jack, we really need your help on this one.
Diabetus: That was not a three-exclamation-points reading of that line...
- Ending Fatigue: Invoked: One thing that they frown upon is Let's Players or self-proclaimed reviewers going on well after the video should end.
- This is particularly notable in Transformers Review? with an elaborate skit based on destroying a Famicom game.
- From Chip & Ironicus' RPs comes nacho, where the "content" is done at the three-minute mark, but the player spends seven more minutes goofing around the level just to round out the YouTube time limit.
- slowbeef and Diabetus get very, very bored with the Marathon Boss fight with Crystal Boy at the end of Space Adventure Cobra, as well as the showdown with Lord Vlaew at the end of Exmortis 3.
- Erudite Stoner: Dave_o.
- Failed a Spot Check: Some Let's Plays make it painfully obvious that they were directly uploaded to YouTube without the LPer going over the video first (that or just having extremely low standards).
Video description: Somehow, an adult made this.
- Kayin (of I Wanna Be the Guy fame) not noticing the giant mouse cursor in "Let's Point at Super Metroid".
- WHO IS A POKEMON IN THIS CRAZY WORLD where only 2/3s of the game is shown due to the LPer zooming in the screen.
- Choose from: watching an LP, a lamp, or some Mario figures . The title says it all.
- ZeldaAAaaAAAGH. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time becomes a terribly glitchy mess.
- GAK, where roughly two fifths of the video consist of a solid green rectangle due to an encoding error.
- Let's Play Sonic thhhhhe Hhhhhhhhhhhhedddddddddd Hedgehog ggggggggggggg features such a breathtakingly choppy framerate that the audio and video lag and skip like no other Retsupurae subject before it. It also has the window briefly resizing to show the player's desktop and a Steam chat window.
Diabetus: I need to get a little bit of advertising in this gold, in case you forgot this game.
- "Colonel, I didn't manage to avoid drowning!" has a non-technical variant: DarkSydePhil is confused by an "M9 Bullet Full" message because he thinks he doesn't have the M9 — when it's clearly visible in the weapon menu, and he equips that very same M9 not two minutes later without any comment. Both riffers are astonished.
- In Kickstarter Nonstarters: Androx, Demon of Fire, the creator accidentally moves the game window out of video capture range, showing the title bar, and then moves it back in. This is not edited out of the video. He then runs into a missing warp event when trying to go through a door, and rerecords the footage having inserted the warp, but also without removing the old footage. Keep in mind that as part of a Kickstarter page, the video was meant to encourage people to fund the game's development.
slowbeef: If you fund this, you will be able to minimize the window during gameplay. Just wanted to show that feature off.
- In "George Wood Reviews Earthbound... Twice?", the Gaming in the Clinton Years video for Earthbound suffers a technical glitch midway through in which the audio disappears. slowbeef and Diabetus then watch the "Corrected" version of the video which includes the full audio of the review — only to forget the intro and outro that usually feature in the YouTube presentation, much to the duo's disappointment.
- Fat Bastard: HC Bailly is the target of several fat jokes. But BigMastadon really invokes this trope as he torments the Retsupurae gang with his vile eating challenge.
- Flat "What.":
- In The Mike Weiss Show!:Bad Michael Moore impersonation: Hey guys, I'm making a documentary on how much Bush sucks and how cool I am!
- And in the Zelda BS RP...
- Cobra himself delivers one near the end of the Space Adventure Cobra Retsupurae, upon learning that the Ultimate Weapon is an ostrich egg with an eye. That turns into a sword. And a gun. And a battleship. Yeah.
- In The Mike Weiss Show!:
- Furry Fandom: One of the subjects they mock in this video.
- And this one.
- General Ironicus joins the mocking as well: "The world's smartest furry, to me, might as well be the world's smartest termite. And they probably dress up like one and have sex."
- LesBeardly has also gone up against them. They apparently turned him into a misogynist.
- Subverted with the Pin and Kit channel, where one of the commentators is a furry himself.
- Arguably invoked in their Dark Seed II Wrongupurae where they compare Mike Dawson to being that world's equivalent of a H. R. Giger furry given his creepy obsession with the various biomechanical women in the dark world.
- Gratuitous Japanese: Their name (sort of — "ae" is not pronounced "ay" in Japanese, that would be Gaelic), although it's less grating than other examples. Their logo, 敗, is also the kanji for "failure." Of course, being written as deliberate Engrish, it's an Invoked Trope.
- Although the original, somewhat unknown account was "retsupray".
- The correct spelling would have been retsupurei (レツプレイ).
- In the actual riff videos, the duo mock BurningHunter's overuse of the word "minna" (Japanese for everyone) and believe he's trying to impress a girl named Mina by making awful Mega Man Let's Plays.
- Improv: Some of the riffs done are usually made on the first take. Most of the time, one or more of the commentators have watched the video beforehand with an idea of what to say but it's still improvised at the end.
- In Name Only: slowbeef and Diabetus have a lot of fun with Super Don Quixote's... loose interpretation of the source material. note
- Insult Backfire: There are numerous videos on Retsupurae's account of people objecting rather strongly to being RPed. Not only does this indicate slowbeef couldn't be less intimidated, it lets more people see how weak they really are.
- Keet: A few of the LPers, such as violinbow3.
- Lets See YOU Do Better: Inevitably invoked by their Fan Haters, who fail to realize that Diabetus and slowbeef both have several finished, quality LPs under their belts (such as Snatcher, Super Metroid, Captain Novolin and Battletoads just to name a few).
- It's worth noting that slowbeef essentially invented the hobby. And that's because it makes this all the more hilarious - two prolific LPers, including the man who effectively started it all, being told they should try to make Let's Plays and see how hard it is or somesuch.
- Remember, just because their LPs aren't on Youtube doesn't mean they don't exist.
the_exp: (in text) ok. How about i label all the code REAL well, then give you the FLA file AND YOU implement the changes and still have a game that runs.
- Also, one of the Newgrounds comments for Metroid Elements brings up a lot of legitimate complaints about the Metroid Flash game, only for the author to respond with this trope.
slowbeef: (out loud) How 'bout you actually do that? I fuckin' dare you... I would love that. I'm sayin' that to him like he's watching this, but...
- Mood Dissonance: During the first "Slowbeef's House of Horror", the protagonist of the story just witnessed his friend getting killed at the hands of the game. And spent the night in a Hotel, during which he smashes his laptop and goes to sleep to see if he has the same nightmare he's been plagued with since he started playing. After he wakes up from the sleep he goes on to say how he was having the best day he's had in months, much to slowbeef's chargin.
- slowbeef: Your friend just died.
- MST: For Let's Plays!
- Diabetus has also done more traditional MSTing on the Battletoads animated pilot and the Mega Man series' infamous Bizarro Episode "Curse of the Lion Men" on retsupurae's YouTube channel.
- Chip and Ironicus in turn have done traditional MSTings of several Newgrounds videos (including part of the Xin series) and the Fanime Elemental Goddess along with their videos on YouTube LPs.
- The Retsufrash and Wrongpurae videos from slowbeef and Diabetus are riffs on the games themselves; the former category targets Flash games and animations on Newgrounds while the latter provides commentary over longplays.
- This came full circle with the Wrongpurae of Shinobi-X; the longplay footage is mostly comprised of cutscenes telling a typical ninja-movie story.
- Likewise with Metroid: Other M, in which the duo riffs the game's "Theater Mode" rather than the gameplay itself, since their focus is on the abysmal story.
- No Ending: A common staple in the featured LPs, where some don't bother to finish their recording proper and end up with them being cut off mid-sentence.Ferr: ...Wait, he's saying something! Shhh!—Oh wait, it ended.
- Orwellian Editor: Threatened (probably jokingly) in "The Marios":slowbeef: Luwigii Master, why? Why is no one going to hear this when the video mysteriously cuts off at the five minute mark?
slowbeef: The laws of probability state that either I am the luckiest motherfucker in the world, or there is an issue that really needs to be addressed.
- slowbeef also edits out a part of the Dark Seed II longplay where Mike finally wins the ring toss game, because they would never allow it.
- Several Let's Players have taken down the Let's Plays or outright closed their account after getting mocked by Retsupurae.
- David John-Bores (the person who recorded Meet'N'Fuck Kingdom for slowbeef and Diabetus) commented on the video that he censored the king's erection with a picture of slowbeef's face. This ended up being covered up by a user review.
- Implied by PewDiePie fans about the "Adults React to PewDiePie". They believe the goons "cherry-picked" moments in his videos when, in reality, that was definitely not the case.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: What they speculate how a team-up between BillyMC and Musclebomber would be like, with Musclebomber being the Red Oni and Billy being the Blue one.
- The main two themselves. slowbeef is quick to upset and can get passionate when he criticizes someone or something, while Diabetus almost always stays collected, and is noted as being near impossible to anger. Diabetus even mentions this in Retsutalk #17 (calling himself the superego and slowbeef the id)
- Chip and Ironicus could also count; Ironicus is usually calm and deadpan, while Chip tends to be more energetic.
- Rouge Angles of Satin: Frequently in Newgrounds reviews. To add to the hilarity, the riffers usually pronounce the typos when they read it aloud. Meet 'N' Fuck: Star Mission alone has one guy who talks about fucking your finance while another said that the game made his cook steam.
- Deep Fear has a door to a "NAVEL WEAPONS" room.
- Say My Name: C'mon Brandon!
- In a few BillyMC videos, the guys spend a good half of their lengths repeatedly saying "BILLY!" in either awe, encouragement, or disappointment.
- Screw This, I'm Outta Here!: Two instances. One when they refuse to do a DeceasedCrab video, and another when they get halfway through a barely audible Contra III LP before giving up. They also get about halfway through Plumbers Don't Wear Ties before abruptly ending it; Word of God says the game ran out of things to mock shortly afterwards.
- Chip and Ironicus start on a Minish Cap LP, but when the LPer says his cat is addicted to human sweat just one minute into the video they immediately give up.
- Stylistic Suck: ChipCheezum and General Ironicus' LP of No More Heroes had one video like this, specifically for a Crossover with Retsupurae. It Makes Sense in Context... oh who are we kidding, no it doesn't.
- One of the videos RP'd by slowbeef and Diabetus consisted of this as well, where the author made a deliberately awful video just so that they could be retsupuraed (the terrible commentary and clipping audio, contrasted with the fantastic picture quality, is already a big hint). This video was removed from their account, because the pair agreed that having someone make a horrible video just so that they could be retsupuraed is "really gay". For the curious, it's still available here.
- There's also this video, a parody of the video responses calling out Retsupurae for making fun of LPers.
- Diabetus had also made his own terrible camcorder LP, questioning in the video tags whether one can Retsupurae one self.
- ThornBrain from TheStrawhatNO! also made his own terrible webcam LP mocking child camcorder LPers, with the webcam hanging upside down.
- PsychedelicEyeball, in response to the RP of The Nostalgia Critic, created an LP of Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels as the Nostalgic Balls mocking Doug Walker's Angrish and his fans. It can be viewed here.
- Pin and Kit did a Pokemon Stadium 2 Let's Play in order to parody users like TrooperS96 and others who do bad camcorder Let's Plays.
- Take That!: Aside from the concept of being a gigantic Take That to Youtube Let's Plays, there are quite a few aimed at other sources.
slowbeef: Well, what do you expect? It's Death Trap, AKA Saw for idiots! I mean, even more so than usual.
- From Let's Play *incomprehensible*: "He's still not as bad as Chip Cheezum."
- From Death Trap:
slowbeef: No, no, no. Drop this guy, end of proposal. That's all I have. My PowerPoint's one slide...
- When the creator of Elemental Goddess flagged Chip and Ironicus' riffs for copyright infringement, Chip gave us this masterpiece.
- From The Mystery of the Sponsored Let's Play:
Diabetus: slowbeef, why do you have a 25-slide presentation?
slowbeef: Because it's the same thing copy-pasted.
Diabetus: Oh, you copy-pasted it 25 times.
slowbeef: Yes, that's right.
Diabetus: Including your title slide and conclusion slide.
slowbeef: I am the Tim Buckley of proposals.
slowbeef: 'Jail', by Tim Buckley.
- During their Earnest Evans video, one of the game's anime cutscenes features a camera angle centered on the corner of a jail cell, and the angles of the floor and walls appear to be way out of whack... or, as slowbeef puts it:
slowbeef: Hey, just so you know, The Big Bang Theory sucks!
- In Retsupurae 3000, slowbeef comments that a logo on a secretary's desk resembles the Ctrl+Alt+Del logo. His next sentence begins with "Speaking of bad art..."
- Their Metroid: Other M Retsuwatch is quite possibly one of their most scathing commentaries yet, mostly directed at Yoshio Sakamoto and the various Unfortunate Implications.
- After making several largely-positive references to movies in Let's Play IMBD, slowbeef throws this in during the final boss fight:
slowbeef: I am the Tim Buckley of Let's Play... nah, I'm gonna apologize to Tim Buckley for that one.
- In the King's Quest VI: Heir Today, Gone Tomorrow Wrongpurae, Death claims he cannot cry. They list a series of depressing movies that he's watched more than once. Among them are the Michael Bay Transformers movies.
- Deep Fear features a character named Mookie. slowbeef makes a couple of disparaging references to the author of Dominic Deegan.
- On slowbeef's now-private riff in one of Tobuscus's videos (overlaps with Insult to Rocks):
Viewing the original version has now been classified as procedure 111-Montauk, and is now how we traumatize that girl from SCP-231 instead, because that whole entry was terrible. Seriously, this wiki was supposed to be creepy horror stories, right? That one was just gross.
- slowbeef takes a dig at Andrew Dobson (author of So... You're a Cartoonist?) when mocking the Limited Animation in Ninja Hayate.
- In "Resident Seavil Part 2", slowbeef decides he might have more subscribers if he randomly shrieks and yells "CONSENSUAL SEX!" over and over.
- The Slender and Happy Wheels videos that slowbeef uploaded to the account are not only blatant potshots towards the games themselves, but to Youtube users that almost exclusively LP said games.
- The description for "This Let's Play is Highly Recommended for (DATA EXPUNGED)" (which is In the Style of... a SCP Foundation article) brings up/discusses SCP-231 as so:
- The "Video Game Therapist" short is a dig at people getting angry over Dina Abou Karam, an outspoken feminist, being part of the Mighty No. 9 team and supposedly trying to change the game to reflect her views.
- In the final part of "Ambition Babies", choices the player makes during the first scene overall have no effect on how the second scene plays out. Diabetus' reaction: "Choice is meaningless, it's Mass Effect all over again!"
- "YABBA" has some light jabs at pinball as a whole from Chip and Ironicus, the latter remarking that it's "semi-random at best". Chip admits his bias in the video description (and reveals that he does really like Black Knight 2000).
- This Is Gonna Suck: Diabetus gives his Deadpan Snarker take on the trope at the beginning of Queenie Z's LP of Eternal Darkness:Queenie Z: Hello everybody, welcome to my Let's Play: Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Ruh-Queeum!
Diabetus: I have a good feeling about this.
slowbeef: Episode ninety tw-oh, get out of here.
- Also during one of the live streams, when Diabetus first shows slowbeef a blurry Super Mario Galaxy LP:
slowbeef: Oh, Rammstein. Good choice... if you're angsty.
- In the Vampire Hunter Ina video, slowbeef gets a feeling about the overall video once the music comes on.
- General Ironicus flat out says or rather sings it in the beginning of Icrangirl's Mega Man 2 LP.
- Arise 4 begins with the message "I see you are surviving quite well. My next installment will make you want to DIE". He's not kidding.
- "The LP is terrible... I hope it doesn't last" starts with slowbeef stating that he had only seen 3 seconds of the original video. We then see said three seconds...teddybearmassacure: Okay! Welcome back to Charlie and the Chocolate Factory Part FIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIVE!
Diabetus: Ooh, you weren't kidding.
- In part 7 of King's Quest VII, slowbeef is horrified to discover that the next part is nearly an hour. Made funnier by the fact that part 7 is the last one they actually riffed.
- At one point in the Sonic 2006 playthrough, upon seeing that he'll have to play Crisis City again as Sonic, all slowbeef can say is a flat "Oh no."
- The Unintelligible: The source of humour for several of the LPers they mock, usually due to strong accents.
slowbeef and Diabetus
- Aborted Arc:
- In December of 2012 they started a Wrongpurae of King's Quest 7, but it hasn't continued past part 7 in May 2013. This has been lampshaded several times, such as the description for the last Noir video (which also seemed aborted before they finished it over a stream) saying "Now you can't say we never finish what we start! No I've never heard of King's Quest VII."
- Part 1 of their Wrongpurae for Amazon: Guardians of Eden was uploaded in March of 2014. Part 2 was never uploaded.
- A Wrongpurae of Ripper in a crossover with Lowtax got up to 7 episodes before slowbeef had to cancel it and restart it with Diabetus.
- The Wrongpurae of RoomBreak was halted with just four of the game's six chapters completed, after it was mutually agreed that nothing could top Chapter Four's iconic ending where Barack Obama shakes hands with a grey alien at a peace treaty.
- The Ace: Parodied with "JacobMC", who according to slowbeef and Diabetus is BillyMC's older brother, a Harvard graduate, beat Ninja Gaiden 2 with his eyes closed, and registered Hypercam2.
- Accidental Misnaming: Gaming in the Clinton Years host George Wood, in the classic RPs, is erroneously referred to by the duo and the RP community alike as "Navgtr", after the YouTube account that archived his series. Same goes with amateur voice actor Edwyn Tiong being known as "Dan McNeely", thanks to his most infamous role in The Trapped Trilogy Retsufrash.
- Finally averted in "George Wood Reviews Final Fantasy 8 (Wait for it...)" in which the duo refers to George Wood with his name the whole way through. Every Gaming in the Clinton Years riff since has done the same.
- Actually Pretty Funny: Despite having mocked his video game for the whole video, slowbeef has to admit that kennsj made a pretty good crack at one of his negative reviews:deathskul: u cant kill anything u shod make it easier to kill the crechers i attack the crechers as mush as i possibly can and they don't die
kennsj: They should make English easier for you, too. I'll let them know.
- Added Alliterative Appeal: Metroid Machinima Makes Me Maddeningly Miserable
- Adorkable: @Voidburger, a guest star who popped up a few times during Retsublitz, has been compared to a female ChipCheezum - appropriate given she's also assisted him in some of his LPs.
- all lowercase letters: slowbeef's name, as it was originally a Something Awful forum name.
- All There in the Manual: Because they're mostly focused on just making fun of games, they usually miss out on information contained in the text.
- Anachronism Stew: Their take on Shinobi-X."It's like if you put Chrono Trigger in a blender."
- Angrish: When a character is somehow locked inside a car during Pursuit, Proteus is reduced to a sputtering wreck:Proteus: How... how did... how is she locked in... th... she j... ho... but tha... but... you can't...
slowbeef: I know you can't.
Proteus: You can't—!
slowbeef: I— I know! Not in any modern car in the world!
- In their Retsupurae of The Nostalgia Critic doing an LP of Bart's Nightmare, they speculate that he even writes in Angrish. In general, they frown upon this being used in LPs due to their dislike of exaggerated commentaries.
- Anticlimax Boss: Some of the games they've Wrongpuraed have them.
- The fake Parrot Grass in Cobra: Space Adventure is killed by Cobra in one shot in a cutscene.
- The final confrontation between Minnesota and Junior in Minnesota Fats: Pool Legend is a best-of-three game of 8-Ball pool, with Junior's independence on the line. Junior pockets the 8-ball early twice in a row.
- Every boss becomes this in Galerians, thanks to the longplayer abusing an exploit with Rion's Psychic Overload where the effect is cancelled after beating a boss.
- Armored Closet Gay: In "GOD HATES POOCHYENAS," the player uses the word faggot so many timesnote that he's suggested to be this trope.
- Aside Glance: Discussed in Arrival in Hell II.Protagonist: [looks at the screen] Bollocks.
slowbeef: But see, look at- is that a fourth wall?
Diabetus: "Bollocks"? Is that where you have the goofy sitcom music play? [hums goofy sitcom music]
slowbeef: On the next episode of Bollocks...
Diabetus: We'll be right back with more Arrival in Hell II!
- The Atoner: slowbeef jokes that Retsupurae is his retribution for being responsible for YouTube's terrible LPs in a Majora's Mask riff.
- Attention Deficit... Ooh, Shiny!: In this video, Diabetus finally starts piecing together that the game is taking place in Nazi Germany, and questions whether or not it's a good idea to make jokes over such a touchy topic... until slowbeef points out the inflating and deflating cat in the corner of the screen.
slowbeef: You know what it is? It's not that we're a great cop, we have this beautiful gun that everyone just wants to take a look at.
- It's also suggested as why the villains in Crime Patrol keep jumping out of cover to shoot you:
- The Let's Player of B-mer-mine is interpreted as this, as his video recording skips over every other couple of seconds of gameplay.
- In "Guestsupurae: Sara vs Frocto," Frocto spends just a little over two minutes on FarmVille before briefly switching to Dead Drunk, and then abandoning FarmVille entirely. And that's just the start...
- Authority Equals Asskicking/Asskicking Equals Authority: Depending on how you look at it, but as slowbeef is the Trope Maker and Trope Codifier of video Let's Plays, and Diabetus is a very skilled player (to the extent of being able to beat Battletoads), they both seem to have quite a right to mock the hell out of the lower-end LP's.
- A Winner Is You: Most of the Flash games they riff on, but probably the worst offender is "Metroid; Beginings" [sic]. After possibly hours of struggling with frustrating controls, floaty mechanics, and a whole crapload of game breaking bugs, defeating the final boss, Dark Samus, causes her to explode... and that's it. No credits, No Ending, the game just sort of ends with Samus trapped in an empty room. (The poor guy who played the game for them actually went into the .swf file using a decompiler to confirm this.)
- Berserk Button: Lots.
- Poor video quality
- Lack of editing
- Stupid, annoying, or exaggerated commentary
- Blind/unedited LPs of difficult games the LPer is clearly inept at
- LPing good games poorly, playing games immediately after release, overusing internet memes and general stupidity.
- Padding in Longplays really makes him lose it. One of the most prominent examples of this is happening is when he had to sit through a bunch of what he felt were overwrought narrated texts in Alone in the Dark (1992), which eventually results in him screaming, something he almost never does even at his hammiest.
- Big Guy, Little Guy: Speculating on what would happen if MuscleBomber2021 and BillyMC formed a superhero duo.
- Blatant Lies: slowbeef likes to tell Diabetus about ridiculous future events in whatever video games they're commenting on, which are obviously false. Subverted slightly in that sometimes he's telling the truth. This is brought up by Diabetus.Diabetus: See, I can't tell if you're lying or not.
- *Bleep*-dammit!: Behold, an example of censorship by NostalgicRageHQ.
- Bold Inflation: Diabetus sometimes uses this to directly contrast with the ridiculousness of the video game.Diabetus: (while navigating the Minotaur's labyrinth) KING'S QUEST SIX!
Diabetus: (during the "Dance of the Bones") THE QUEST OF KINGS!
Diabetus: (when an ornate dragon statue rises to cover up a safe) RISE OF THE DRAGON!
Diabetus: (after Mookie and Sharon play an April Fools' joke on John Mayor) DEEP FEAR!
- Boring Invincible Hero: Their opinion of Cobra.
- Brick Joke: Early in the Dark Seed II LP, Diabetus mentions that he's heard the game has a head explosion...
- Broken Record: Diabetus' commentary becomes this in one video, regarding savestate scumming:Diabetus: We should try, like, savestating our commentary.
Diabetus: We should try, like, savestating our commentary.
slowbeef: We should try savestating our commentary, you said?
Diabetus: -ing our commentary -ing our commentary -ing our commentary.
- Brooklyn Rage: MuscleBomber2021, whose almost cartoonishly exaggerated accent eventually draws comparisons to Bebop.
- Brown Note: This video, entitled "Warning: Serious Eye Damage Hazard". It really is headache inducing.
- This video as well, titled "Pure Strain Golden Axe", which really is pure strain for the eyes.
- A number of people are having these sorts of reactions after watching the Hentai spoofs. Namely, the one where slowbeef reads a blog post going into explicit detail about using a prostate dildo.
- The guys also joke about this in their wrongpurae of King's Quest VII: The Princeless Bride, claiming that the comb has the King's Quest VII logo on it, and as such the reason Valanice cries every time the player uses the comb is because looking at it reminds her she's in King's Quest VII.
- Buffy Speak: In this LP Diabetus gets rather irritated at the player for, amongst other things, using a legit strategy with a weapon and then forgetting about it in the middle of the level:(progressively increasing in irritation) "Just use the invisi-chameleon sting... charge up... thing! You know, you just used it BEFORE!"
- But for Me, It Was Tuesday: Another Tuesday in Detroit...
- But Thou Must!: Happens so many times in Space Adventure Cobra that both slowbeef and Diabetus mention the trope namer word-for-word on separate occasions.
- Butt-Monkey: Tyler, ActionBastardAway's special guest, who spends the entire video rarely speaking, being berated, and being called "a petty douchebag." Diabetus has mentioned Tyler in multiple videos whenever a guest appears in a video for the sole purpose of silently remaining in the background to take the blame for the LPer's own mistakes.
- They've made some references to the Ridley voice in other LP's.
- Slowbeef played through the Arise series. During the third game of the series, he had to speak in an extreme Motor Mouth manner because of the game's imposed time limit. Eventually Diabetus called him Cornshaq.
- In the first Sonic 06 video, as slowbeef plays through Sonic's Wave Ocean - the first level of the game, for reference - he mentions how surprised he is that it of all levels is considered the high point of the game. Several months later, he recants his opinion and says it really is the game's best level.
- Cargo Ship: Invoked in "Cool Minecraft Audio Mods"; the horrid sound quality coupled with the strange grunting noises the LPer makes partway through the video has the two hypothesize that he's attempting to fellate his microphone.
- Cassandra Truth: In the Metroid: Other M retsupurae, slowbeef starts foreshadowing that the little furby-like creature is actually Ridley by giving it the Ridley voice from their Metroid Prime LP. After a few minutes of this, Diabetus responds with "I think I understand what you're inferring, but I have a hard time believing it."
- "Dead to Rights!" at the end of some longplays.
- slowbeef's "Oh my lord" and "God almighty".
- In many Wrongpuraes, when there is an illogical puzzle, nonsensical plot twist, or something similar, slowbeef will say something along the lines of "Oh, shut the fuck up!" or "Fuck this game!" There's also sarcastic praise like "This is the greatest game ever!" or "Stunning!" for moments that are particularly goofy or complete wastes of time.
- slowbeef also tends to say "Wait, was that editing?" when there's a sudden cut (mainly when it seems out-of-place given the rest of the video).
- "What the hell is this?!" has also been used increasingly often by slowbeef.
- Diabetus seems to be fond of "Makes you think, doesn't it?"
- Diabetus also frequently says "SPRING BREAK!" when pretending to be excited.
- Diabetus also has "so, there's that" and "that <verb>s my <noun>!"
- "THE QUEST OF KINGS!"
- "There wasn't a lot on the Sega CD."
- [sitcom style] "Classic X!"
- "That was awful." after the LP or game is over.
- During Wrongpuraes, slowbeef likes to say "Oh get the fuck outta here!" when something breaks his Willing Suspension of Disbelief.
- Celebrity Resemblance: slowbeef and Diabetus point out that Professor James looks a lot like Northernlion.
- Censor Box: The "Unregistered Hypercam 2" banner censors some nudity in the Cobra Wrongpurae.
- The "Meet 'N' Fuck Kingdom" retsufrash uses Memetic Badass Rock Knight in place of some topless women.
- "Unregistered Hypercam" is used again in How to Get a Raise.
- And in French Dip.
- The nudity in "Video Shame" is censored with word balloons.
- Several instances of nudity in Hopkins FBI are censored with various characters from games Retsupurae have riffed on.
- Cerebus Syndrome: Mario, Party of One? is considered by the duo to be the darkest RP they have done so far.Diabetus: It's like a stepford wife is doing this Let's Play.
- Character Derailment: Discussed in-universe.
- Character Development: BillyMC has gone from being The Woobie in slowbeef and Diabetus's eyes to being The Pollyanna who can find joy in the most trivial things.
- Chekhov's Gunman: Parodied in the Ninja Hayate video. One of the bottom scores was a player named Ninjawa, then it turns out that the current player was Ninjawa.
- Cluster F-Bomb: While it's present in their commentary, they do NOT like it when it's used as a crutch for a lack of humor. Lampshaded at one point:slowbeef: You know, I swear like a sailor, and even I think this is shameful.
- Continuity Lockout: In slowbeef and Diabetus's riff on Sonic the Hedgehog (2006) (which slowbeef is playing), the two admit that he sort of tuned out on the franchise a few years back in the early videos. This means in regards to a lot of characters (particularly in Shadow's subplot) that were established from previous games, the two frequently either make guesses in regards to their importance, or are just confused.
- Continuity Nod: When slowbeef finally took the time to play Metroid Prime 2: Echoes and got to the Quadraxis boss, the very first thing to spring to his mind was SNES9X.
- On a similar note, in this video from that very same LP, Diabetus mentions "light beam aquaired." A couple videos later, slowbeef notes that none of the other Metroid flash games on Newgrounds can spell "acquired" correctly either.
- While discussing combination weapons from Dead Rising 2 in this video, guest Toffile asks slowbeef if he ever combined the banana, knife, and rope.
- In Amnesia: The Dork's Descent, the guys argue that the LPer's over the top reaction to a monster encounter is worse than the recent Super Meat Boy LPs and more shameful than BigMastadon's pizza roll challenge and BigAl2K's Mugen videos.Diabetus: So this is "Bowser's Evil Test".
- During one part of their Dead to Rights: Retribution Let's Play, they talk about the critical reviews that the game received.
- In his Let's Play of the NES version of The Immortal, slowbeef said "WHOOPS!" loudly when he kept fucking up a spell.
- In some Retsufrashes of horror-themed Flash games, Diabetus refers back to the infamous John McCain face from Arise 2.
- Lampshaded here.slowbeef: I actually wish GameMaster would come in and deck this guy.
slowbeef: ...Is that enough Retsupurae memes?
Diabetus: I think we covered just about everything.
- Subverted eventually, in a video where slowbeef and Diabetus guest-commentated on Vicas' playthrough of Super Mario 64 with his feet, on Tick Tock Clock, and specifically pointed out how they got through all of it without any ElectricalBeast jokes.slowbeef: Not everything can be about Retsupurae.
- A minute into the first Dark Seed II Wrongpurae video, slowbeef brings up that he did a screenshot LP of the game back in the day before asking Diabetus what he knows about the game. Diabetus says he doesn't know or remember much, but he does mention hearing that there's a head explosion, since every game slowbeef ever LPed had one. He also suggests that the painkillers prescribed to Mike Dawson are "Shinobix".
- In turn, during their Wrongpurae of Clock Tower II, Diabetus observes that they had worked out some of the game's mechanics while standing in the bathroom - alluding to Dark Seed II's L Per frequently parking Mike Dawson in the same room.
- Around ten minutes into It Came From the TurboGrafx, the professor dismisses the protagonist's claims as the stuff of "pulp fiction," prompting Diabetus to wonder, "Wait, are they naming movie titles now, like we used to do?"
- Later, the love interest is shown trapped in a cave with a skeleton hung on the opposite wall.
- In the Crime Patrol wrongpurae, the protagonist is a cop who shoots absolutely anyone who points a gun at him. It is thus named "Jack Slate's First Day on the Force" after the hero of Dead to Rights, for which slowbeef and Diabetus previously did a Let's Play.
- Their King's Quest VI: Heir Today, Gone Tomorrow Wrongpurae was (at first) jokingly titled "Meet 'n Fuck Kingdom", after a Newgrounds video that kept popping up in the "viewers also liked" section of their Retsufrash videos. slowbeef and Diabetus would eventually do a riff on Meet 'n Fuck Kingdom, and titled it "Quest for Glory".
- From the end of the extremely-shaky Skyrim's Enigma Mod: "Well, it's a funky new directing style, that's for sure."
- Early in the Metroid: Other M wrongpurae, when the subtitles have the Bottle Ship's name in all-capitals, Diabetus shouts something about Snatchersnote .
- In the video that makes fun of DarkSydePhil, there's a scene where he forgets to unequip the coolant spray and has the misfortune of getting into a firefight with it. In the riff on Hard Edge, there's a scene where coolant gases fills the room from several locations, causing Diabetus to joke that DSP is attacking the player character.
- In the Retsufrash for the first Bloody Rage, when slowbeef is playing with the character creator and discovers he can make his character an inch tall, General Ironicus notes that "it's like we're playing a real MDickie game". At the very end, slowbeef also mentions something about BigAl2K6, the subject of "The Most Shameful Thing in the World".
- In Bloody Rage 2, where Barack Obama is a playable character, the group at one point discusses the sound clips the creator of the game chose to use for his attacks. Ironicus notes that there had to have been at least six quality sound boards for Obama, recalling that he and Chip used one for an episode of their No More Heroes LP, and "that was years ago!"
- When asked to pick a direction to go in during Fog, Lagoman briefly contemplates with "Left or right? Left or right?!" before picking a direction.
- In part 44 of their Sonic the Hedgehog (2006) wrongpurae, Diabetus is trying to convince slowbeef that Shadow (who, according to slowbeef, controls similarly to Sonic but more sloppily) is the Luigi to Sonic's Mario, suggesting he get in the mindset of playing as Luigi, then stating "frankly, you should play as nothing but Luigi".
- Indienogo: Kamehamehuh? consists mostly of an overweight man doing katas while wearing a Dragon Ball shirt, barely able to keep himself in frame as he does so. Diabetus eventually comments "he could become a great M.U.G.E.N character someday".
- A Running Gag in their playthrough of Afterfall: Insanity involves Slowbeef replacing his current fire axe with any new one he comes across. When Bearpigman finds a fire axe in Paradigm Shift, which was uploaded just after part 5 of Afterfall, Diabetus comments that it "feels like we've been dealing with fire axes a lot lately".
- When wondering what kind of person enters haunted houses and doesn't just leave once haunted things happen at the end of The House II, slowbeef notes that it really would just be a better idea to leave right then and come back in the daytime, saying "I don't care how much of an irate ghost hunter you think you are!"
- After the first couple minutes of Vorago consist almost entirely of a married couple arguing with one another following a car crash, Diabetus wonders if the player is taking the role of the couple's marriage counselor.
- Corpsing: slowbeef often bursts into laughter during the 'Crappy Pasta' videos.
- Creepy Monotone: slowbeef does this when reading the "Crappy Pastas" in order to make them seems a little creepier than they are. Comes back to bite him during his reading of I HATE YOU when he and his guests spend nearly a minute clearing up some confusion in the reading caused by slowbeef's lack of inflection.note
- Creepypasta: The "Crappy Pasta" series riffs on some particularly awful video game pastas.
- Critical Existence Failure: Taken to a ludicrous extreme in It Came From The Desert, where the people being attacked by ants can lose several body parts, including all their vital organs, but will be fine as long as the player kills all the ants before they are completely eaten.
- Cyborg: Brought up on occasion, though for some reason the duo assumes that cyborgs are completely robotic, instead of living beings augmented by cybernetics.
- Deep South:
- Diabetus gets some stick for being from Alabama, especially here. He has since come to embrace the stereotype for the sake of comedy at times.Mini-Boss: (In an overblown redneck accent) HEE-HEE, GUY, AHM GUNNAH DESTROY YEW!
Diabetus: ...That was a guest voice by me, Diabetus. Hope you enjoyed that rendition.
- Where in time is Mario? has an LPer so Southern that even Diabetus is surprised. The duo particularly end up assuming that his "alternative" to save-stating every five seconds (i.e. using the emulator's rewind feature to go back five seconds) is done by literally lassoing Mario and pulling him backwards through time so he can try again.
- Diabetus gets some stick for being from Alabama, especially here. He has since come to embrace the stereotype for the sake of comedy at times.
- Designated Hero: A common theme between wrongpuraes is the games in question having protagonists that either are unlikable, are pathetic, act villainous in spite of being shilled as good, or a combination of the above.
- Despair Event Horizon: Diabetus briefly has one when he finds out that Sonic 2006 has an unlockable fourth story.
- Did I Just Say That Out Loud?: slowbeef in the video IWBTG, after screaming at a guy for getting the name of guy who created Tetris wrong.
- Didn't See That Coming:
- Distracted by the Sexy: The PewDiePie episode featured both slowbeef and Diabetus on camera. In between PDP's fans and RP's fans arguing back and forth, a significant number of comments were about how hot Diabetus is.
- Does Not Know His Own Strength: Said of King Graham from King's Quest V when he tries to tap a staff on the fortress door to open it, but ends up shattering it.Narrator: The staff lies in several broken pieces on the steps.
Diabetus: Several? Jeez, Graham.
slowbeef: "Grandpa, what the hell is wrong with King Graham?" "Graham does not know his own strength."
- Dude, Not Funny!: In-Universe: Diabetus has this reaction in parts 3 and 4 of I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream, asking slowbeef how he's expected to joke about Nimdok and Ellen's scenarios, which are about the Holocaust and rape respectively. They sidestep this problem both times by having Diabetus play dumb for most of the videos - when he 'figures it out' for the former, he has this reaction until he gets distracted by one of Nimdok's creations, and in the latter he stages a huge argument with slowbeef over general grievances he's had with the show (and promptly dropping them once Ellen defeats the rapist).
- Dull Surprise: The LPer in Desert Storm by Vlad the Implaer is so monotone and lethargic in his commentary that the crew riffing it got very bored and tired by the end of the video.slowbeef: Oh my god, he's putting me to sleep.
- Dumb Muscle: Their interpretation of MuscleBomber2021, based primarily on his voice.
- Easy-Mode Mockery: Played with. Both slowbeef and Diabetus have said that they'd rather watch a competently done Let's Play on an "easy" difficulty than one at "normal" or "hard" difficulty where the LPer spends most of their time getting killed. That being said, they won't hesitate to mock an LPer who chooses the easiest setting of a game that's regarded as being pretty easy to begin with.
- The Ending Changes Everything: After the Wham Line in Huzzah!, it becomes apparent how all the commentary is made up of general criticisms with nothing specific about the video.
- Engrish: Played for Laughs on their website.
- Ensemble Dark Horse: In-universe
- Just about every minor NPC in Cobra: Space Adventures. But especially Rock Knight.
- In King's Quest VI, Jollo, hands down. They even spend the last seven minutes of this video quoting Dr. House in his voice.
- Made all the more amazing by the fact that Jollo ends up saving the day at the last second.
- In Afterfall: Insanity, Repair Bot becomes a character for the Retsupraers when the player briefly takes control of it. And "Big Cannibal Boy" gets the same treatment after his appearance that Jollo does above.
- In the Paradigm Shift Flash game, a battery becomes the most relatable character.Slowbeef:: Are you going to scare us?
Diabetus [as battery]: Nah, I'm a good battery.
- Establishing Character Moment: The longplayer for the Dark Seed II Wrongpurae, ADVGames4Ever, takes 2 minutes to get through the main menu. He then takes more than 8 hours to complete a 2 hour game.
- Everyone Is Bi: Thanks to the cast's overacting, slowbeef becomes convinced that Snow Job takes place in a world where everyone is trying to fuck each other.
- Exact Time to Failure: slowbeef on Arise 3: You know what I really hate? When you're at the doctor's office and he says 'You have exactly ten minutes to live.'
- Exactly What It Says on the Tin: "Meet 'N' Fuck Kingdom". slowbeef uses this as his justification for essentially ignoring the playthrough entirely and reading reviews instead.slowbeef: You meet her, you fuck her. It's Meet 'N' Fuck Kingdom!
slowbeef: We met her. That means we all know what's gonna happen next.
- Fan Disservice: The general reaction to seeing Luke McCabe at the end of the Crime Wave RP in nothing but a speedo. But just to subvert things, the president's daughter then sits up from behind him in a bikini.
- Fanon Discontinuity: The In-Universe treatment of Mike Dawson winning at ring toss, with slowbeef even editing the longplay footage to replace the actual successful toss with another failure.
slowbeef: NOT! CANON!
- In one of the Cobra videos, their reaction to the death of Rock Knight:
Diabetus: No! Not in MY Cobra! Nuh-uh, fuck this game!
- They also both declare a discontinuity of Metroid: Other M from their own personal Metroid canons.
- Utilized shamelessly in the Space Adventure Cobra Sega CD game longplay. Then again, if you're familiar with the manga, this is to be expected.
- A rather blatant display of such in the Crime Wave RP, where McCabe's crime computer displays an animated model of the president's beautiful daughter nude (but cropped), whereas the male villains are only displayed as a few static photos, fully clothed.
- At the end of Easy Money Part 2/170, slowbeef unbuttons his shirt while asking for people to like, subscribe, and go to their "twimbler" and "tweetspring". You might even call this fan disservice! Oh snap!
- Meet 'N' Fuck Kingdom has about as much of this as you'd expect. However, to fit YouTube's policy, all of it is omitted or censored (once with Rock Knight, later with a review).
- Fat and Skinny: slowbeef and Diabetus, respectively.
- Feather Fingers: Cedric from King's Quest V: Absence Makes the Heart Go Yonder!, who takes it a step further and has a feather arm. At one point, the duo thinks it looks like he's flexing.
- Felony Misdemeanor
- Finger Gun: In response to the Bloodless Carnage in Crime Patrol:Diabetus: And to think the officer's just pointing his finger and going, "pew-pew."
- Five-Man Band: Comments on this vid turn the usual suspects into one of these:
- Flying Car: Diabetus sometimes mentions "flying cars" when he's trying to refer to a "futuristic era"... like 2002.
- In their RP of a Deceased Crab video, they say that you could take the audio from any video of his and put it over a different game, and there would be no way to tell.
- In their Dark Seed II riff, Diabetus briefly says that he's heard very little about the game, maybe something about a head explosion. This happens in the final stretch of the game.
- This video has Diabetus comment 39 seconds in that Burning Hunter's recording software must not have a stop button. Six minutes later...
- For Science!: A common theme for the Dahi̇r İnşaat videos slowbeef and TieTuesday riffed on was that the group in question was dedicated to automating things just because they thought they could, rather than because it was something simple but still time-consuming enough that automation would be a good idea. It was also incredibly uneven, where ridiculously-complex things - up to and including building a giant armed quadcopter - were shown to be completely automated, and then some incredibly simple step at the end - such as actually loading the ammo belts for that quadcopter's gun - had to be done by hand. Probably the most ridiculous instance was with the Drive Market, which had one entire floor dedicated to sorting all the various merchandise that would be sold out into separate machines, only for those machines to just dump them, unsorted, onto a single conveyor belt on the next floor down, requiring human operators to re-sort them again for the actual aisles.
- Four Point Scale: slowbeef said this about YouTube videos during part 2 of the Eternal Darkness retsupurae.slowbeef: If you get one and a half stars on the fuckin' internet, that's like being at the Special Olympics and having them tell you, "you have to leave".
- One running theme of Restufrash is that games on Newgrounds will often have overwhelmingly positive review scores no matter how bad they are. Perfect or near-perfect scores are handed out like candy, even if the people giving the ratings have a lot of complaints about the game, had nothing good to say about the game, completely hate it, never finished the game, or even never started the game.
Diabetus: Wow, that's like Newgrounds in a nutshell right there.
- Bizarrely inverted with one Jack French review which described the game as "one of the best detective games" while giving it a score of a half star out of five.
- The "Sonic Boom City" retsufrash covers a game that literally does not work, and as such has multiple zero-star reviews. Then they find one person "gave [it] the benefit of the doubt" and rated it two and a half.
slowbeef: "Benefit of the doubt"! People found that helpful! That is the least helpful review in the world!
- The Retsufrash playlist description: "The worst of the worst from Newgrounds, the web, iPad, and other sources that deserve the full scorn that an 8 out of 10 offers."
- One of the insults slowbeef hurls at Space Adventure Cobra is that IGN would probably give it a 6.
- One running theme of Restufrash is that games on Newgrounds will often have overwhelmingly positive review scores no matter how bad they are. Perfect or near-perfect scores are handed out like candy, even if the people giving the ratings have a lot of complaints about the game, had nothing good to say about the game, completely hate it, never finished the game, or even never started the game.
- Fridge Horror: In-universe, halfway through the final episode of Webcam Ward, Diabetus realizes Chris-chan's not wearing a shirt. It's much, much worse than it sounds.
- Friend to Bugs: Graham from King's Quest V can talk to ants and helps the colony, and slowbeef points out the use of this trope.
- "Funny Aneurysm" Moment: In-Universe example, when Diabetus made jokes about Ellen's fear of yellow in the I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream Wrongpurae, only to find out it's stemmed from a rape she experienced in her past. He even gave a What the Hell, Hero? to slowbeef for not warning him of this ahead of time.
- Funny Background Event: "Serious Dad" has a child repeatedly walking throughout the video in the beginning, which the RPers notice immediately. This is subverted when the LPer shows his kid how to play the game, then triple subverted when he leaves and never shows up again.
- Gainax Ending: Played for Laughs in the end of the riff of Move or Die. The player clicks the link to give them feedback, and under "Other Comments" types "They were all released the next day, right?" Immediately following is a short montage of scenes from fellow Zap Dramatic production Sir Basil Pike Public School, illustrating the reuse of certain character designs - ending with the vice principal (who has the same design as Mrs. Grimm) sending the player back in time. It finally ends with the infamous "Do you think I can take off my clothes here?" bit from Ambition episode 3.
- Giant Space Flea from Nowhere: The Deathball from Space Adventure Cobra and the fire-breathing velociraptor in Mortal Kombat Mythologies: Sub-Zero.
- GIS Syndrome:
- Pointed out in the Lechuza RP. In the respective Something Awful thread, the goons went out of their way to find almost every single image asset used in the game from across the internet, using Google Image Search.
- Pretty much every Jump Scare in the Arise series is a Halloween mask lifted from GIS. Yes, even the John McCain head.
- A Good Name for a Rock Band: In the Space Adventure Cobra Sega CD Wrongpurae:Text: Mobile Riders in the flames of hell!
Diabetus: "Mobile Riders in the Flames of Hell" is the name of my band, actually.
- Also, during the MuscleBomber2021 RP:slowbeef: ROCK ENEMIES! They're not Rock Amies!
Diabetus: "Rock Amy is my favorite band!"
- A variant: In "Assjoe's Silent Hill", PA Master makes reference to a walkthrough in the comments section that chooses to refer to a specific event as "the ghost revenge". Mr. DJB notes that he would love to watch a movie or play a game given that title.
- Also, during the MuscleBomber2021 RP:
- Gorn: Several of the subjects of Crappy Pasta overuse gorn in an attempt to create horror, such as Ihsoy and Blood Whistle.
- Gosh Dang It to Heck!:
Diabetus: "I don't wanna swear, but crud!"
- In Jikkyu Oshaberi Parodius, the LPer says "crud" at one point, spurning the RPers to comment on such.
Shmorky: Yeah, crud! FUCKING CRUD!
slowbeef: [as the LPer's mother] "Watch your mouth, Henry!" [as the LPer] "I'M PLAYING GAMES FOR THE INTERNET, MOTHER!"
Diabetus: "Why don't you shut the heck up, you bitch?!"
slowbeef: "FIDDLESTICKS, YOU SLUT!"
Diabetus: Hold on, how can you say "Holy shit!" and then "Blast!"?
- Lechuza's protagonist at one point shouts "Holy schmuck!", much to the amusement of Diabetus and slowbeef.
- The standard sci-fi "Blast!" curse was used in Space Adventure Cobra. Not long after saying "Holy shit!" This inconsistency was not lost on Diabetus.
Diabetus in mock voice: "Holy shit, consarn it!"
- Grand Finale: The Webcam Ward ended on October 30th 2010 with a short riff on the True Final Boss of the Internet himself, Chris-chan.
- The end of the RetsuBlitz was ceremoniously ended with a spoof of the long-requested Meet 'N' Fuck Kingdom.
- Gratuitous German: A toy shop owner in King's Quest V: Absence Makes the Heart Go Yonder! uses a stereotypical German accent and a few, incredibly butchered, German words. slowbeef seems to have some basic knowledge of the German language, as he sounds in pain after hearing the butchered pronounciations.
- This popped up again in Prisoner of Ice, where slowbeef is very audibly annoyed by the even worse German (from Nazi characters, no less).Nazi Guard 1: Raus, Amerikaner! Schnell!
slowbeef: (laughs) "Raowse, Ameri-conner, schnell! They didn't pay me very much."
Nazi Guard 2: Raus! Schnell!
slowbeef: "These are the only two German words we looked up!"
- This popped up again in Prisoner of Ice, where slowbeef is very audibly annoyed by the even worse German (from Nazi characters, no less).
- Grumpy Bear: Cherrydoom, who occasionally guests in slowbeef and Diabetus's videos, is extremely pessimistic and sarcastic. slowbeef himself sometimes acts this way, especially in the earlier videos.
- Guide Dang It!: Pointed out in the Trapped series of Flash games.
- Guilty Pleasures: The Apocalypse video is no doubt this for slowbeef and Diabetus. Despite all the bad puns, barely paying any attention to the longplay, and slowbeef actually apologizing in the video tags, they both genuinely have a lot of fun firing pop culture reference after pop culture reference.slowbeef: Well look, we had fun doing it!
- The Car Escape series is this for slowbeef, much to Diabetus' bewilderment.
- Have a Gay Old Time: In Dark Seed II:Mike Dawson: I don't think Ik and Uk are going to molest me anymore.
- Have a Nice Death: During their King's Quest V wrongpurae, they joke about the game's death messages and come up with their own. Diabetus later jokes that the narrator is incapable of feeling empathy towards Graham.Narrator: (after Graham falls off a branch and breaks his neck) Thanks for playing King's Quest V!
slowbeef: That's the death message? That's like, "Thanks for buying our product, here's a bullshit death."
Diabetus: "You wasted money on this. So here you go! Have some bullshit!"
- HeaddeskProteus: This guy has the right idea to just run into walls, I kind of want to bang my head into this wall, too.
- He Who Must Not Be Seen: Since the focus in a regular Retsupurae video is on how horrible and/or strange the Let's Player/video game/flash game in the video is, slowbeef and Diabetus typically don't physically appear in the videos. However, this was subverted for both during "Adults React To PewDiePie," especially since Diabetus had not really shown his face on the Internet until then.
- Hell Is That Noise: In-Universe, the voice of Blazedragon132 is this for slowbeef, PsychedelicEyeball, and cherrydoom.
Diabetus: Kuroinokaze recorded this just for us... to kill us!
- Mario, Party of One? has some strange noises coming from the background of the Let's Player's video. slowbeef and Diabetus think it sounds like dishes.
- The town music, from King's Quest V, which they consider to be overly loud and almost unsettlingly cheery, and, to a lesser extent, the calmer remix used in shops, has this effect on them.
- LP Mario 64... very slowly have them worried for the computer the LP was played on due to the fact that it sounded like it was just roaring to keep up with the emulator.
- The most prevalent being "Meet N' Fuck Kingdom", which managed to show up in the list for three RP subjects (Hug Me To The Skies, Arrival In Hell II and Metroid Elements). ChipCheezum announced he's doing a Let's Play of it here. Though he could be joking...
- slowbeef beats him to it.
- Hiccup Hijinks: Diabetus gets the hiccups around the second half of the Dark Seed Wrongpurae. Some YouTube comments were all too eager to share their remedies, such as ingesting a spoonful of peanut butter. Of course, slowbeef lampshades it a few times.
- Hidden Depths: When slowbeef and Diabetus attended The Runaway Guys' panel at PAX 2012, which was a video game "game show" hosted by ProtonJon, the capture software kept crashing in full view to the audience, causing a lot of awkwardness on Jon's part. Of course, slowbeef recorded it all on camera and MSTed the entire debacle with Diabetus for all to see on YouTube. However, despite such, slowbeef adds at the very end of the video that he felt sorry for him as he considers Jon to be one of the nicest LPers he knows and told him he felt the panel to be a success despite the technical difficulties, and that later panels have improved considerably.
- Also worth noting is that, even though they have made jokes about people with Autism (par the norm for Something Awful) in a handful of Wrongpuraes (usually in regards to protagonists in adventure games), they were expressly uncomfortable when they heard that QueenieZ, a person they riffed on, had the disorder. They even sent her an apology.
- Proteus has demonstrated acts beyond his apparent jerkassitude. One notable example is in his return in "Lavos, You Can Go Ahead and Get Started". One YouTube comment expressed his disdain for Proteus, to which Proteus himself commented back to everyone to not flame the guy for expressing his opinion.
- Hilariously Abusive Childhood: They theorize SergmanX has an abusive father who forces him to make Let's Plays. They also have similar theories about BillyMC.
- Hilarious in Hindsight: They notice that Alone in the Dark 2 has a lot of names relating to Bioshock Infinite, which leads to them admitting how weird it is as well as jokes that further tie the games together.
- Hurricane of Puns: slowbeef and Diabetus come up with alternate titles for the abysmal Western-themed Amiga CDTV game The Town With No Name after watching its longplay, which include examples such as Town With No Game, 3:10 to You Made This Piece of Shit, El Terriblo, The Bad, the Bad and the Bad, Broke Game Mountain, A Fistful of Dollars: The Budget for This Game, and ultimately, True Shit.
- Hypocrite: Watch slowbeef's LP of Metroid Prime 2: Echoes and count how often he does things that he complains about the most as a part of Retsupurae. He at least seemed to be aware of it after he made the LP.
- In Space Adventure Cobra, the main character's internal monologue calls Crystal Boy a chicken-shit due to his apparent tendency to shoot when your back is turned. Immediately after this text appears, the longplayer selects "Flee" from the dialogue tree, prompting slowbeef to ask who the chicken-shit was here.
- slowbeef, during the retsufrash period, repeatedly mocks Newgrounds as a site for degenerates with a penchant for scatalogical humor. But he has no problem buying The Binding of Isaac, a game created by Newgrounds users, which even displays the Newgrounds logo in the intro, as well as the content of the game itself.
- During OMF Gcata's I Wanna be the Guy: Gaiden LP, cata wonders why the player character instantly dies when he touches the water. slowbeef then mocks him for believing that video games should mirror real life. This despite the fact that slowbeef himself often nitpicks at common video game mechanics. (Diaries with only one entry, gaining ammunition from corpses, predetermined pathing, etc.)
- In Let's Listen, the LPer has a very nasally voice, which the guys spend most of the video making fun of him for. Normally there would be nothing wrong with this, except that Psychedelic Eyeball is among those making fun of the guy's voice. Psychedelic's accent makes the person sound normal by comparison.
- While ripping on Danganronpa, slowbeef complains that the game has "too much reading." This is coming from someone who previously worked on a fan-translation of another visual novel.
- Hypocritical Humor:
- Hard to tell if it's intentional or if this just slipped slowbeef's mind, but in the DeceasedCrab video, one of slowbeef's criticisms is that he "can't effin' believe [DeceasedCrab] did the same let's play twice". slowbeef let's played Snatcher twice (albeit in different mediums).
- At the end of a Pokemon retsupurae, after slowbeef complains about how the LPer is just spewing nonsense and memes, Diabetus does the usual "Dead to Rights" ending which has become a meme in their own fanbase. slowbeef immediately points out the hypocrisy of this, then says it himself.
- Hypno Pendulum: Referenced at the start of episode 10 of Ambition:Courtroom official: She was seen leaving around 9:30pm.
(A giant pocketwatch swings back and forth)
slowbeef: I feel like I've been hypnotized watching this.
(the watch disappears)
Diabetus: "You want to play better game" - oh.
- I Knew It!: In-Universe, Diabetus seems to have quite the knack for accidentally predicting major plot points and Twist Endings in wrongpuraes long before they happen. Most notably he correctly guessed the killer's MO in Ripper, made a joke about Eike being secretly immortal in Shadow of Destiny, claimed that The Town With No Name had Science Fiction elements long before its Twist Ending and asked whether Mike from Car Escape was actually Mike Ehrmantraut just before The Reveal that the game takes place in the Breaking Bad universe.
- I Need a Freaking Drink: From the end of the second part of "That's so Kaizo":Diabetus: I need more alcohol.
slowbeef: We all do.
- In "Pinball Wizards' Growing Pains," Diabetus has to do commentary alone for a brief period during which slowbeef gets up to make a drink.
- In "Adults React to PewDiePie," one of the viewers says nothing and instead pours a drink and face palms.
- At the end of one of the Ambition episodes, slowbeef can be heard opening what sounds like a beer can.
- I Need to Go Iron My Dog: At the end of "Mario, Party of One?", when talking about nice comments they should leave Joshey 164, this exchange happens:Diabetus: "Please invite me to your next party."
slowbeef: Don't go that far, I'm not coming.
Diabetus: No, no, I got a thing actually. During his next party I have a... I'm busy.
slowbeef: I've got a really cool Wario Party to go to.
- Informed Attractiveness: The titular character in The Lusty Barfly is clearly meant to be sultry and seductive, but it doesn't work out.
- Insane Troll Logic: This is not a joke, and it's not a test. I put you in this shack to test you.
- Insult to Rocks: In Let's be horrified:slowbeef: Did he name himself "Man"? Maybe it's like an unfrozen caveman doing the commentary.
Diabetus: No, that's insulting cavemans everywhere.
- In Eternal Darkness Part 1:Dave_o:"She is dumber than a cat.
Diabetus: That's an insult to cats everywhere.
slowbeef: Yeah, dude, what do you have against cats?
- In the "True Shit" Wrongpurae, when Diabetus comes up with the alternate title "BillyMC the Kid" for the "game", slowbeef immediately goes into Sincerity Mode and claims that Billy (or anyone else for that matter) could have made a better game.
- He has a similar comment after mentioning someone calling Mike Dawson a "grown up Billy MC".
- During the Metroid Beginings [sic] retsufrash, slowbeef says he can't make a "better than Other M" joke, because that's an insult to Other M. Keep in mind his scathing wrongpurae of Other M, and you'll get an idea of just how bad Beginings is.
- In Eternal Darkness Part 1:
- Ironic Echo: One of the many ways the duo riffs on the LPer.
- It's Personal: One reason for the Resupurae of the Policenauts review was that it was apparently posted on a thread regarding slowbeef's translation hack which he was still working on at the time, even worse was that it was apparently full of spoilers in the gameplay shown such as solutions to puzzles during the video these moments are blacked out by slowbeef.
- It Is Pronounced Tro Pay: slowbeef deliberately pronounces "Mario" as "Mary-O" - to the point of actually correcting himself after using the proper pronunciation. Then again...
Jason White: A See-ko Chronograph diving watch. They come expensive those watches.
- From The Trapped Trilogy:
slowbeef: I think that's Say-ko, chief.
slowbeef: Fow his bums? At his amies?!
- In Super Bummerman 2, musclebomber2021 pronounces 'throw' as 'fow', 'bomb' as 'bum', 'enemy' as 'amy', and numerous others. The Retsupurae duo have a field day with him.
Diabetus: I've checked his volume of work, his Giger counter...
- slowbeef catches himself on almost mispronouncing H. R. Giger's name ("gee-ger") as 'geiger' in the Dark Seed Wrongpurae, which Diabetus is quick to comment on:
- He does so a few more times in the Dark Seed II Wrongpurae, though he again corrects himself every time, this time without any jokes from Diabetus. He also refers to Mario a few times throughout it, sometimes as "Mary-O" and sometimes normally.
- The Eternal Darkness RP, Queenie Z pronounces the subtitle "Sanity's Re-KWEE-um, placing heavy emphasis on the second syllable.
- slowbeef pronounces horrible with a long "A" sound at the beginning, making it sound more like "har-ible".
- slowbeef pronounced "ketchup" as "catch up" in Slowbeef's House of Horror: Recipe of Death. Lampshaded as well, as when he says ketchup for the first time, a caption pops up reading:(I swear, if you jerks start shit over how I say "ketchup"...)
- In this video, slowbeef insists on referring to the uploader, Imsoepiclol, as "Imm-soppick-lawl" rather than dignifying it with the more boisterous-sounding "I'm so epic, LOL."
- Jabba Table Manners: BigMastadon's self-imposed challenge to eat 40 pizza rolls.
- Jerkass: Proteus often plays this up in his commentaries so it can be Played for Laughs, usually in the form of Brutal Honesty and getting into fights with slowbeef.
- ActionBastard lives up to the latter part of his name in the Monster In My Pocket when he continuously bullies his friend, Tyler, over not being as good at the game.
- Jerkass Ball: A handful of their commentaries (mostly their early ones) actually get personal and insult the people that made the Let's Plays they're riffing on. This has pretty much gone away, but it noticeably came for the episode on Doug Walker.
- Jerk Jock: They accuse Musclebomber of being one.
- Jitter Cam: "Skyrim's Enigma Mod" has this effect, caused by the player using YouTube's camera stabilization feature on gameplay footage recorded from Fraps. It leaves slowbeef absolutely stunned and demanding an explanation, and draws comparisons to The Office.
- Joke and Receive: In "LP Mario 64...very slowly", the duo joke about what would have happened if the Nintendo 64 really was as slow as the LPer's emulator made it look like. One of their remarks is how it had state of the art graphics and only 2 MB of RAM. This isn't very far off from the truth — the N64 had 4 MB of RAM without the expansion pack, yes, but it used high latency Rambus DRAM which made it a huge bottleneck on the system.
- In "True Shit", when the main character heads to the upper floor of the saloon, slowbeef remarks "And now, we go up for a whore!". Turns out that that is exactly what he's there for.slowbeef: What? We really were getting a whore? I was kidding!
- In "Surgical Strike a.k.a. Explosion!: The Game", near the end where the main character is relaxing on a beach and is approached by three girls in bikinis, Mr. DJB casually remarks that "It'd be great if these beach girls just started exploding." As if on cue, they immediately do.
- In "True Shit", when the main character heads to the upper floor of the saloon, slowbeef remarks "And now, we go up for a whore!". Turns out that that is exactly what he's there for.
- Jump Scare: Abused in quite a few flash games they've riffed on, particularly Arise (with a notable case where the game throws every previous jumpscare in sequence at the player when they get close to the end), Paradigm Shift (there's one on damn near every screen if you wait around long enough), and Real Horror Stories (upwards of two or three at a time). Their reaction is generally the opposite of what the creator was hoping for.Diabetus: Huh?
slowbeef: I dunno, I think that was scary. I was only half paying attention.
Diabetus: JOHN MCCAIN, WHY?!
- And of course...
- Other guests seem to have the same reaction to "scary" flash games. From Assjoe's Sacrificium:
- Lame Comeback: When a Newgrounds user left a harsh review on Pursuit, Godlimations called him a 'poo poo head'. slowbeef and Proteus don't address it, because, really, what needs to be said?
- Large Ham: slowbeef at choice times, such as when a video enrages or excites him enough, or when playing up spectacle or drama when it's otherwise not present.
- LARP: The duo riff on one of Sword of Vermilion and they weren't comfortable to say the least.
- Laughing Mad: What King's Quest VII reduces slowbeef to.
- He also breaks into insane laughter at several points in the Sonic 2006 playthrough.
- Leave the Camera Running: One of their biggest Berserk Buttons.
- Let's Mock the Monsters: In any Retsufrash of a "horror" game, most notably in the Arise series. "John McCain! Why?!"
- Let's Play: At the end of 2014, Retsupurae came full circle with slowbeef and Diabetus riffing on slowbeef's playthrough of Sonic the Hedgehog (2006). Afterfall Insanity more or less ended up the same way, as slowbeef started recording the game himself after only one episode of someone else's longplay.
- Let Us Never Speak of This Again: In "Diablo IV," once the duo finishes viewing the first episode of the American Darkstalkers cartoon:Diabetus: Let's just never speak about this again.
- slowbeef closes out the end of the "Poorkour" series with this.
- Loads and Loads of Loading:
- thehof's LP of Half-Life: Blue Shift consists of nothing but this and blindingly bright graphics, probably due to the fact that he's playing this on the never officially released (i.e. hacked) Dreamcast version.
- The floor transitions in Deep Fear. It's hard to tell whether the elevator cinematic is to mask the loading or simply adds to the already lengthy black screens surrounding it.
- Sonic the Hedgehog (2006) managed for a time to hide the fact that it had killed slowbeef's PS3 by doing so during a loading screen.
- Long Title: "Note: The Spread Gun Should Not Spread Your Video to Half an Hour"
- Ludicrous Precision: The creepypastas treat measurements of time this way, writing things like "This continued for 25 seconds" or "I sat there for maybe 25 seconds, horrified by what had just happened." Even funnier, the times themselves are often implausible, like spending 10 minutes running Mario down a featureless corridor.
- Manipulative Editing: In their Retsupurae of Dark Seed II, slowbeef edits out the main character finally winning at the ring toss carnival game, replacing it with a clip of one of his earlier failures. He claimed Mike Dawson would never win under their watch.
- Mathematician's Answer: In the Dark Seed II Wrongpurae:Diabetus: Are you the Retsupurae'er who tells the truth or the Retsupurae'er who lies?
- Meaningful Name:
- slowbeef's opinion of "BigMastodon" in this video.
- In case you weren't sure, Diabetus is actually diabetic.
- Meanwhile, Back at the...:
- slowbeef is fond of parodying this trope when MSTing video games with silly or nonsensical plots. In fact, he mentions in "Resident Seavil 2" that several comments on the previous installment actually complained that he was using the joke too much. He then attempts not to say it throughout the rest of the video, only to grow increasingly frustrated with himself as he repeatedly does so without meaning to.
- slowbeef and Diabetus take The Town with No Name to task for overusing this trope, which seems to be some sort of out-of-place Shout-Out to Back to the Future and foreshadows the Twist Ending.
- Memetic Badass:
- In a parody of such, JacobMC, the fictional brother of BillyMC is said by slowbeef and Diabetus to not only have a Harvard degree, but is also able to finish Ninja Gaiden Black with his eyes closed AND actually register his hypercam.
- Rock Knight from the RP of Cobra's Space Adventures, who barely shows up in the game at all, but is the Batman of the game universe in terms of skill according to slowbeef and Diabetus.
- Mondegreen: A few non-musical examples from the Rise of the Dragon RP:Chang Li: It is also known by my humble self, and others, that you are investigating this affair.
Blade Hunter: What others?...
Diabetus: "Whatevers"? ...Did he just say "whatevers"??
Blade Hunter: ...It seems he gave her some bad juice.
Diabetus: Some bad Jews?
Blade Hunter: ...It's bad with a capital 'B'.
slowbeef: I think "juice"... Wait—"bad with a captial 'V'?"
Diabetus: No, no, I think the game's just really racist.
LPer: I can do this!
- They themselves have one of these moments, when they mishear ElectricalBeast's introduction as "The Giant of Let's Plays" rather than "The Jolteon of Let's Plays."
- Two instances occur in Let's Rock Out!:
Diabetus: You're Buddhist? I don't see how that's relevant.
LPer: This part is kinda easy for me.
Diabetus: This part is Chinese for you? Muse isn't that hard to understand.
HarmfulGravemind: Now comes... Wendy Koopa!
- Also occurs in the riff on HarmfulGravemind, who has a Luxembourgish accent:
Diabetus: Friendly Koopa?
slowbeef: (imitating the LPer's accent) Friendly Koopa!
Diabetus: That's a misnomer, sir.
- In A Public Service Announcement For Let's Players, one of the lines slowbeef says, "Second he was going to towel himself- Please Stop Lets Playing I Wanna Be The Guy." The word "towel" is frequently misheard, misread and miswritten as "tell" thanks to some unfortunate comedic timing of the situation. He's actually reading the first chapter of American Gods, at the point where Shadow considers taking a bath and toweling himself off.
- Morality Chain: BillyMC quickly becomes this to the notoriously vitriolic Proteus, who describes him as his "one soft spot."Proteus: Somebody's gotta care about Billy, why not me.
- Morton's Fork:Dr. Pokeymans: I've got two options...
slowbeef: I hope they're both "Kill Yourself".
- Motor Mouth: Diabetus does this whenever imitating something active for only a few seconds before being destroyed or disappearing offscreen."Ionlyhave3secondsonscreentotellyousomethingaaaaaaaaaaugh!"
BillyMc: Yeah, sometimespinballisalittlebitoflucktoobutyoucanusealittlebitofstrategytoosometimesyoucantryifyoumisstheball...
- Aside from Memetic Badass Cornshaq, slowbeef himself becomes one during his playthrough of the timed Arise 3, much to the confusion of Diabetus — and the viewers — since he had exactly 10 minutes to cure a letal virus.
- Proteus4994 also did his version of this in a response to the Cornshaq video.
- Also BillyMc at one point in this video:
- slowbeef does it again in "Let's Pl-.............aypokemonwithnoaudio," where he narrates the game in the style of Diabetus in Let's Read About Survival Kids. Only in this case, his narration has to race to cover the dialogue before it vanishes from the screen — and often fails. For bonus points, he sometimes has to pause mid-sentence due to the video lagging.
- Ms. Fanservice: Brittany Cole in the Crime Wave Wrongpurae. The blatant fanservice is repeatedly mocked by the duo, who interpret it as a sleazy porn flick going on throughout the game.
- Mundane Made Awesome: Played With in "Asura's, Like, Wrath IS THE MOST AWESOME THING LET'S DO THIS" - the opening of Asura's Wrath is pretty awesome by itself, but ImmortalHDFilms's reactions are so over-the-top that it twists around to this trope.Chip Cheezum: Oh my god, do not show this man the first Superman movie!
General Ironicus: Can there be a series where this guy just watches DBZ 'cause I would subscribe to the man.
slowbeef: [imitating ImmortalHDFilms] "I'm amazed by fucking anything!"
ChipCheezum: "Wait a second, there's a power level even further beyond!? WHAT!?"
- Naked People Are Funny: This is why the commentary on "Kane and Lynch's Spring Break" is derailed from riffing on the LPer to riffing on the game.
- Name and Name: "Basic Problem Solving with Tinkidink and The Lime Popsicle"
- Nazi Gold: slowbeef speculates that this is how NAVGTR's company was funded.Diabetus: How did this guy get business?
slowbeef: I don't believe that he could have!
- Never Live It Down: An early scene in Space Adventure Cobra gives the player the option to look at the female lead's feet. Retsupurae's In-Universe characterization of Cobra immediately became that of an obsessive foot fetishist who may or may not actually care what the feet are connected to. Of course, it didn't help that Cobra described them as "A work of art".
- The duo is certainly not letting ProtonJon forget that he was tricked into doing an LP of a Super Mario World romhack because he heard that the maker was dying of Leukemia (which he faked). Every video that he's commentated in features this as a punchline towards the end of the video, with two of said videos being nothing but the punchline.
- Nightmare Face: Generally averted in the Lechuza RP, which the pair summed up as essentially being Arise without the pop-scare JPGs - thus, Arise without anything to actually qualify as a horror game. But ironically, the title screen may unintentionally startle some viewers (like it did to Diabetus. Twice.) as it depicts the protagonist of the game wearing a wide-eyed expression, pouting fish-lips, covered with dirt and wearing slovenly clothes.
- Nonindicative Name: From Gebiet Kriege!:
- Nintendo Hard: Despite being a Visual Novel style of game some of Ambition's chapters (especially the final four) prove quite difficult to the longplayers thanks to multitudes of fail states and reliance on Violation of Common Sense, despite the creator claiming them to be based on real-world psychology.
- No Indoor Voice: Shmorky, another one of their fellow goons who guested on some early RPs.
- Noir Episode: Fittingly, the L.A. Noire riff.
- Noodle Incident: In The Unfair Retsupurae, Diabetus mentions taking a "violent shit" that somehow resulted in several deaths but was still less loud than the player's reactions to the game.
- "Not Making This Up" Disclaimer: The YouTube annotations appearing in "Adults React to PewDiePie" while Diabetus reads a list of PewDiePie video titles.
What I like about Retsupurae is that I can make the world's most clickbaity titles and yet, THEY ARE 100% REPRESENTATIVE OF THE CONTENT.
- The title of the video "Silent Hill Upskirt Fighter. Really.", and its description which begins thus:
(from "A Tasteful, Touching Star Wars September 11th Tribute") I am actually putting star wars 9/11 osama bin laden in the tags and it feels like I'm exploiting the search algorithm but I'm somehow not...
- He says similar in the descriptions of other videos that are only able to be described in very clickbait-like manners.
(from "Kickstarter Nonstarters: My Original Pokemon Minecraft Idea") Also I get to put Pokemon and Minecraft in the tags and somehow it's not lying!
- Not Safe for Work: Discussed in the "Meet 'N' Fuck Kingdom" retsufrash:slowbeef: It's all censored, so you can watch this at work...although, I would not recommend doing so.
Diabetus: Are you sure about that? "Johnson, what are you doing over there? Oh, that looks fine."
slowbeef: I'm watching Meet 'N' *erp* Kingdom!
- Not So Stoic: Diabetus is known for being one of the calmest of slowbeef's co-commentators. When he breaks, something has gone very wrong. For example, in the Dark Seed II Wrongpurae, when the longplayer seemingly tries to finally edit his umpteenth time going through the mirror maze, but cuts at the wrong points so Mike actually goes backwards through part of it:Diabetus: Wait, was there editing there?
Diabetus: ...Editing what?! More mirror maze? "Wow, I got through that a little too quickly that time."
- Obligatory War-Crime Scene: Several of Dahi̇r İnşaat's military projects blatantly violate The Laws and Customs of War, such as disguising a military vehicle as a civilian one and the use of tear gas on a battlefield (chemical weaponry such as tear gas and pepper spray are only permitted for use by law enforcement).
- Obvious Beta: Metroid Beginings [sic] stuns the duo with how outrageously buggy it is, which provides much of the video's humor.
- Oo C Is Serious Business:
- Dave_O, far and away the calmest of the commentators, actually getting angry during QueenieZ's videos.
- Diabetus, normally one of the more stoic commentators, collapsing into laughter alongside slowbeef when something especially ridiculous has happened.
- Diabetus is usually pretty calm and collected, but he gets increasingly angrier throughout this LP, to the point where he audibly slams his desk towards the end. If you check out the comments, several viewers also make note of this.
- Oedipus Complex: slowbeef and Diabetus point this out during their "A Son's Revenge" Retsufrash.slowbeef: Holy shit, Freud would have a goddamn field day with this.
slowbeef: Oedipus would be like, "This kid is fucking creepy!"
- Oh, Crap!: During the RP The Marios, this is the trio's general reaction when the creator of the bad LP in question, LuwiigiMaster, disses Retsupurae during his LP. Diabetus later comments that he should pre-screen LPs before bringing the gang over to riff them. If one reads the comments, the guy apparently was trying to purposely make a So Bad, It's Good video just to get RPed.
- Older Than They Look: A voice-based variant is noted in ZoopSoul's LP of Mega Man 9. Diabetus asked if the guy is older than 14, only for Proteus to tell him, "He's like 35".
- Once per Episode: If doing a Series/Gaming in the Clinton Years'' Retsupurae, Diabetus starts with a Double Entendre related to the game George Wood is reviewing in his best Bill Clinton impersonation. It gets to the point where slowbeef is completely astounded by how many Clinton jokes he can come up with, considering the subject matter:"Are you ready to contend with what's in my pants?"
"After I play Buster Brothers I'm gonna bust a nut!"
"I'll show you why they call me Big Dong Donkey Kong."
"Look in my pants and I'll show you why they call it the Playstation."
"When you hit my playlist you'll always wanna select repeat, baby."
- All Diabetus Clinton jokes archived here.
- The legend continues with the new playlists Retsupurae have made on Youtube, with the description for the "Gaming in the Clinton Years" playlist as:
- Original Character: JacobMC, BillyMC's snooty older brother. He graduated from Harvard and can beat Ninja Gaiden Black with his eyes closed. He also registered Hypercam 2.
- There's also his cajun brother, BayouBillyMC, and the "Hollywood Squares" episode introduced his sister, LaurenMC.
- In the Space Adventure Cobra videos, they speculate on the existence of other music genre/medieval title combo characters in the vein of Rock Knight, such as Rap Duke and Country Squire.
- Orphaned Punchline: The final boss of Galerians leaves the two out of material with how it drags on, so a portion of it is cut out. When they come back slowbeef and Diabetus are talking about enemas.
- Our Hero Is Dead: Jokingly.slowbeef: And that's the end of Cobra...
Diabetus: All right.
slowbeef: ...Episode 5.
Diabetus: Shorter let's play than usual but glad the good guys won this time.
- Overdrawn at the Blood Bank: Abused in many of the creepypastas featured on Crappy Pasta. To date, Sonic.exe, Ihsoy, Blood Whistle, The Yellow Devil (which takes it to a ludicrous extreme with robots that bleed), the Cooking Mama story, and I HATE YOU all feature ludicrous amounts of blood.
- Overly Long Gag: The beginning of Pursuit, where slowbeef and Proteus get stuck in Dialla's apartment for several minutes trying to collect everything Dialla seems to think she'll need - and then immediately get sent right back in for a different plot event not thirty seconds after finally being allowed to leave.
- Diabetus drawing out an "Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh..." during a particularly long stretch of nothingness in their Dark Seed II wrongpurae.
- Overused Running Gag: Towards the end of Resident Seavil, slowbeef is annoyed at their running gag of staying quiet for the elevator sequence.
- Perverse Sexual Lust: In So there's that, MageKnight404, who inserted himself into a romhack, reveals that he has this for Linoan. The duo react the way you'd expect.
- Pet the Dog: Their interactions with BillyMC.
lotrdude13: Too busy to hang out with your best friend? You're not very good friends.
- After RPing Joshie164, slowbeef encouraged his fans to give the original video several likes as it only had one dislike. Three days after the RP, the original video had 1,940 likes, and many very enthusiastic comments.
- When one of Joshie's friends complained about RP mocking him, the commenters started asking him why he wasn't playing with Joshie. He said they all had lives.
- Poe's Law: The guys have a little trouble with this sometimes. For instance, in The Marios they mistake a troll for an actual moron. They decide to start pre-screening videos beforehand after realizing they'd been fooled. In Amnesia: The Dork's Descent, Diabetus and slowbeef argue about whether or not the LPer's hysterical terror is staged - Diabetus is positive that it is, while slowbeef merely hopes so. The fact that the LPer in question, Jenomorph, favorited the video just hours after it was uploaded may support that theory.
- They also occasionally have trouble accepting that Gaming in the Clinton Years was a "legitimate" video game show, as opposed to a very elaborate parody.
- Let's Play Sonic the Hedgehog, but Second... features SuperBrosTV being wholly incompetent at Sonic the Hedgehog despite having extensively looked at the map of the level at the start of the video and his whole gimmick for the LP being an in-depth walkthrough. Diabetus actually asks multiple times, "is he fucking with us?" He eventually comes to the conclusion that it has to be on purpose, while slowbeef is still unsure by video's end.
- And then there was the time they RPed a video from Cr1TiKaL, apparently unaware that Critikal's videos are comedic/satirical, and he often intentionally plays games that are corrupted or poorly emulated. They spent much of the video complaining about the stretched screen and mocking Critikal's use of toilet humor. The video was eventually taken down after they were barraged by Critikal fans, and people informing the pair that they just took a goof video completely seriously. The condescending nature of much of that particular RP just made their mistake look even worse.
- Police Code for Everything: From their riff on Lodge Massacre, the Sequel Hook at the end features police sirens playing in the background. Diabetus imitates a cop, saying "We got a 10-53, someone's making a sequel to a bad flash game, over."slowbeef: "Deadly force authorized."
- Power Trio: slowbeef, Diabetus and Proteus, most commonly.
- Pre-Mortem One-Liner: Several really bad ones delivered by the killer in the Psycho Killer riff.Morgan James: ...Hang up... forever.
slowbeef: ...Seriously? Shut the fuck up.
- Private Eye Monologue: Diabetus does this in a LA Noire Retsupurae
- Pungeon Master: Diabetus. Referenced by Slowbeef in the Blood Whistle Crappypasta in which Peach makes a couple puns related to the way she killed some of the story's characters ("They got a little sharp with me so I pushed them over the edge). After reading this, Slowbeef says to Diabetus, "She's starting to sound like you."
- Purple Prose: Several of the creepypastas they've riffed abuse this. The most notable example is Blood Whistle, which starts out being written normally, then takes this trope to an absurd degree once the author finds the titular whistle.
- Quintessential British Gentleman: Their take on ElectricalBeast whose accent is so exaggerated it seems fake.
- Railing Kill: Double Subverted. Diabetus remarks that Crime Patrol didn't have one of these, only for one to happen a second later.
- Spinoff Babies: The Sir Basil Pike Public School wrongpurae videos have the title "Ambition Babies".
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech: slowbeef gives one of these to Quadraxis 14 in the SNES9X retsupurae. Here is the speech without the Verbal Tic:Shut up! There are no viewers. No one watched this to the end except me. It is a seriously horrible video, Quadraxis 14. There is no skill in replaying the same thing over and reloading save states over and over again. A monkey could do this. A kid can do this. It doesn't matter I don't know what the point of the video is. I don't know know why you're doing it. It will not make you popular in school. It will not get you girls or anything. It's a waste of time. I'm sorry. I'm taking away from 'On Liberty.'
- Recursive Acronym: In Let's Play Resident Evil 5: The Demo!, the video is done by a group called E.P.I.C., which stands for Epic Pwnage In Color.Diabetus: What does E.P.I.C. stand for again?
Proteus: Epic... something, something, something.
slowbeef: It's a recursive acronym.
- Reference Overdosed: The guys try to take this trope to the absolute limit in their RP of Apocalypse dropping Bruce Willis movie references (since he starred in the game) for around 20 minutes until they give up and start referencing pretty much anything from pop culture by that point.
- Rescue Sex: At the end of Ninja Hayate, after saving the princess, Diabetus tells it as it is.Princess: My hero!
Diabetus: "I'm gonna get laid, hyuh!"
- Revenge Fic: The duo theorize that Mike Dawson must have done something to get Cyberdreams mad at him, considering Dark Seed II portrays him as the most obnoxious man alive who only a single character in the game can stand being around for more than a few minutes.
- Romantic Comedy: slowbeef theorizes, at the end of Super Bummerman 2, why musclebomber keeps saying "amy" instead of "enemy".slowbeef: Amy must be like this bookworm chick who's into Let's Play, so he's trying to get his nerdy friends to help him do one, so he chose Super Bummerman!
Diabetus: That sounds like the makings of the perfect teenage romantic comedy.
- Running Gag: Tons of them.
King Graham addressing some thugs: Gentlemen, please excuse me, I didn't mean to interrupt you.
- Unregistered Hypercam 2 is one of the longest-running. The duo were even amazed to eventually learn that there's a third version.
- When making fun of adventure games, announcing an abrupt end to character interaction with variations of "Okay, bye!"
- When a character opens their mouth ridiculously wide, Diabetus starts holding a note as if he were an opera star.
- When a character has their mouth slightly open but aren't saying anything, or when they stay seemingly frozen in place (usually accompanied with an empty stare), Diabetus gives a static "Uuuuhhhhhhnnnnnnnnnn..."
- The Ridley voice, which becomes the voice of almost any reptilian enemy.
- Diabetus often lampshades the seeming inability of video game characters to speak at a distance. Even when they're standing only a few feet from each other.
One thug, standing across a counter two feet from Graham, walks around the counter to Graham.
Diabetus: [...] I will come over here and we will resume this conversation.
Thug: Da inn's full! Ain't got no more rooms.
Diabetus: ...I had to come over here to tell you that.
- Diabetus's mentioning of different themes of music (eg. the "return the book to the library theme" in Dark Seed), usually during games that were lucky to have a dozen songs.
- slowbeef's using a Mentok-esque "bweeeeee-oop" during teleportation of rapid camera movement.
- The duo tends to have a Moment of Silence during Deep Fear's elevator screens. slowbeef progressively gets irritated by this, even stating that he's getting sick of having to keep the joke up.
- Around the time when they started Retsutalk is when "I have no X, and I must Y" became one of these. It eventually lead to their Wrongpurae of the game in question.
- Referring to "the Youtube Emperor" to whom they can supposedly report bad LPs. Sometimes identified with DeceasedCrab.
- In the Negotiator/Ambition serious, slowbeef is repeatedly surprised that the flash games had an executive producer.
- slowbeef's Bane impression and Diabetus yelling from the other side of his room (presumably) whenever part of a Newgrounds review is in ALL CAPS.
- After drawn out opening credits scene, Diabetus often pretends as if they were the closing credits only for slowbeef to tell them the game hasn't started yet.
- Diabetus frequently uses a whiny "Unh!" grunt whenever a character punches or throws something.
- During the Mortal Kombat Mythologies Wrongpurae, Diabetus would occasionally say "Sub-Zero X!"
- Blood, from the Crappy Pasta videos, particularly blood described as "hyperrealistic" or splattered over everything in sight.
- In Slowbeef's playthrough of Afterfall: Insanity, exclusively using the fire ax (as well as replacing it with a new one whenever he comes across one).
- Whenever there's Stuff Blowing Up, you can expect a joke or two about Michael Bay needing some alone time while watching it, especially during Surgical Strike and Dahi̇r İnşaat's military videos.
- "Jane, stop this crazy thing!!!"
- slowbeef trying to imitate a certain genre or comedy style and deliberately botching it, such as his attempt to do a Private Eye Monologue in Noir: A Shadowy Thriller, or how his back-and-forth movie title-dropping with Diabetus in Apocalypse devolved into him reading out the name of a movie in the middle of a sentence without context.
- Ruthless Modern Pirates: In this vid. According to slowbeef: "He's like the only pirate you would never ever wanna be in your life."
- "Shiver me timbers, alriiiiight, hawhawhawww!"
- Sanity Slippage:
slowbeef: [at the end of Episode 50] Can I just say one thing? Usually, we stop recording, we have a little, not debrief, but an aside? I have never heard you more depressed than after Sonic 06 episodes. I'm not lying. After the billiard ball puzzle, we stopped recording, and you were like, "That was abhorrent."
- The Nostalgia Critic Retsupurae. Listening to the shift in commentary from making fun of the video to outright insulting the guy who made it, it's obvious they're suffering.
- Some videos incite giggling fits in the commentors at points later in the video. Earnest Evans is the greatest example of this, since the game simply becomes exponentially more ridiculous as time goes on.
- The 4+ hours of boredom during the Dark Seed II longplay slowly drive slowbeef and Diabetus into an infuriated frenzy. The incompetence of the longplayer, obsessively exploring the same areas and dialogue trees and sometimes even doing absolutely nothing for long stretches of time, does not help matters.
- King's Quest VII goes from boring them to death to causing them to prattle insanely in impersonations of Joker and Bane.
- Sonic the Hedgehog (2006) takes a heavy toll on both slowbeef and Diabetus.
- Sarcasm Failure:
Diabetus: I.... I'm sorry this is ridiculous.
- "I am sure that someone wants me to come up with something witty to say to this guy, but he is just faaaaat."
- Throughout their RP of The Trapped Trilogy, Proteus is reduced from Deadpan Snarker to gibbering, Angrish-spewing wreck by the atrocious game design.
- During the Mortal Kombat Mythologies Wrongpurae, Diabetus attempts to make a joke about the fire-breathing dinosaur:
Diabetus: This just presents a slew of pun opportunities! I don't know where to start! So I won't.
- In the Altered Beast Wrongpurae:
- Scenery Porn: In SnakemanMN Wants to Be the Guy, slowbeef and Dave_O begin to marvel at the amazing detail of the background of I Want to Be the Guy when SnakemanMN pauses the game for two minutes to answer his phone.Dave_O: You see there's purple bricks; but then there's also... hold on a second... grey ones.
slowbeef: Woah, you're right! I would never have noticed that if he hadn't paused the game for a full minute to pick up the phone.
- Scotireland: Diabetus and slowbeef have no idea whether the LPer in this video is Scottish or Irish, so they split the difference.Diabetus: Y'know, he's probably from New Jersey.
- Screw This, I'm Outta Here!: Diabetus does this to an extent in part 4 of the "I have no mouth and I must scream" wrongpurae. He is implied to have turned away from the screen during the elevator sequence.
- They get about halfway through Plumbers Don't Wear Ties before giving up. When asked, Diabetus later said that the game got so nonsensical that they couldn't make it funny.
- Sdrawkcab Name: Abused to hilarious effect in Ihsoy, especially with Hceap Ssecnirp.
- Self-Deprecation: In their RP of Policenauts, Diabetus comments that the only thing sadder than reviewing the game would be hacking it. slowbeef, who was working on a translation patch for the game at the time, commented "I'll sa—fuck you."
slowbeef: Look, I know you're from the south, and you don't understand how evolution works, but still...
- Diabetus and his family are occasionally made the butt of jokes. In the RP of Nostalgic Rage's Mario 3 LP, they go on a tangent about if the LPer (who has a thick southern accent) is actually Diabetus' Dad. In another video, the self-titled "Worst Retsupurae Ever", Diabetus wishes the Pokemon LP would evolve into pornography, adding that he meant HUMAN porn, not Pokemon porn.
Proteus: He's from the South, so he understands having sex with animals, but these aren't real animals.
Diabetus: I'm from the South, and evolution is what happens when Pokemon evolve into the Bible, right?
Proteus: This is all your fault, slowbeef.
- Near the end of the Nocturnal Letters Retsuflash, Diabetus comes to the conclusion that the titular game was made in the South due to its terrible graphics and BrotherSister Incest subplot.
- Proteus also mocked slowbeef for basically being responsible for most of these:
- In the description for a Metroid Prime 3 Retsupurae
- Separate Scene Storytelling: slowbeef and Diabetus play with this trope by acting as if the video game narrator for King's Quest V is really reading a book to his grandson. The "grandson," who the duo names Billy, then proceeds to ask questions to his grandfather about the oddness of the story.
- Sesquipedalian Loquaciousness: Shows up in some of the Crappy Pastas, Blood Whistle and It Wasn't Lavender Town in particular.slowbeef: "Their only purpose in making this mod was to flagellate the naive soul to take the bait of its mysterious houris..."
Diabetus: Is that the mission statement behind this ROM hack, really?
slowbeef: *laughing* God almighty. I need thesaurus on every single...
- "Shaggy Dog" Story: In the Cobra wrongpurae, slowbeef and Diabetus sit through seven hours of the titular character's space adventures, only for it to end with a hurried sequence of events that the pair summarize thusly:slowbeef: Your two sisters died for a weapon I just shot...!
Diabetus: Well, that was all pretty pointless, wasn't it?
- Shock Site: slowbeef's interpretation of NO GIRLS ALLOWED.
- Shout-Out: Quite a few, including No Hope, which quickly turned into our boys systematically running through every single line from Star Wars that had been subject to Memetic Mutation.
- The first Wrongpurae of Evil Zone has a ton of Metal Gear Solid references, due to the fact that the longplayer's selected character has Colonel Campbell's voice - complete with playing the music from Arsenal Gear during an intermission when they had to re-sync their audio.
- In the Retsufrash of the Newgrounds game, Fractured, after commenting that the messages in the game sound like fortune cookies, he bets that the next one will say, "Bad luck and misfortune will infest your pathetic soul for all eternity."
- Diabetus has thrown in the occasional inexplicit Doctor Who reference.
- Retsupurae's official video playlist for the Ambition series is subtitled How To Succeed in Flash Without Really Trying.
- The titles of their Alone in the Dark wrongpuraes are all Puns based on other media: The Origami Thriller, Pirates of the Carnby-ean and Cowboys vs. Polygons.
- Upon hearing the accent of the player in Where in time is Mario?, Diabetus claims that the "problem" he mentions in the first few seconds is "he was out gettin' propane".
- Sincerity Mode: The pair chose to apologize to Rijno, BillyMC, and even Chris Bores upon watching The Nostalgia Critic's attempt a Let's Play. They repeatedly said that they weren't kidding.slowbeef: This is the September 11th of Let's Play.
Diabetus: No one dislikes you, Billy! Like, seriously, unironically, I'm saying that: No one dislikes you.
- Later on his Formspring account, slowbeef actually said he owed Doug Walker an apology after watching PewDiePie.
- Later on, he claimed Tobuscus was even worse than PewDiePie; in the Retsutalk after "Adults React To PewDiePie" he apologized and retracted the statement (though he maintains the opinion that Tobuscus is almost as bad).
- In this Formspring post, slowbeef offered an apology to QueenieZ upon hearing that she apparently still receives hate mail and death threats over her Eternal Darkness LP.
- A bit more than halfway through "Local Paperboy Calls It Quits!," Diabetus briefly interrupts the riff in order to alleviate Billy's concerns that some of his retsupurae-based viewers don't actually like him:
slowbeef: ...It's possible that someone dislikes him—
Diabetus: No it's not! No, it's not.
- During the Retsufrash of Exmortis, after going through another incredibly long journal, they suggest that the creator write novels or short stories.
- Despite spending most of Harvester RP poking fun at the game, they admitted that the simulation being representative of violent video games was interesting social commentary.
- About halfway through part 3 of Cobra 3D, the duo point out just how little effort seems to have been put into the game by apologizing to OmegaEdge29 for making fun of his Kaizo Mario 64 romhack's similar lack of effort.
- Time Travel rules used by Shadow of Destiny have potential, but gets weighed down by the obtuse puzzle design and Eike's decision-making. slowbeef admits that the
- Shooting Superman: Brought up in Space Adventure Cobra, when Cobra fights a man made of nigh-indestructible glass.slowbeef: They're having a fist fight? He's made of fuckin' crystal!
- Similarly Named Works: In "Retsufrash is Art", slowbeef and Diabetus watch a playthrough of the ugolegend Flash Art Game "Loneliness" but read the user comments from the unrelated Art Game "Loneliness." without realizing their mistake.
- So Bad, It's Good: slowbeef has this reaction to Shadow: War of Succession. In a very intense way.
- So Bad, It's Horrible: Diabetus ends up sharing slowbeef's sentiment towards Arise 4 by the end of the video.
- Sound-Effect Bleep: Abused horribly (or possibly hilariously) in Raven Rage's Let's Play of Super Mario Brothers 3. The effects used to haphazardly censor his profanity included an obnoxiously loud bleep, an obnoxiously loud siren, farting and belching noises, and shattering glass. This was riffed on mercilessly in the commentary:slowbeef: "You guys got somethin' other than glass breakin' and fartin'? ...Think I got a siren."
Proteus: "I don't know, let me see what I can get on freesoundeffects.com."
Diabetus: "I'm gonna behead a chicken, you got one of them Yak Bak machines?"
- "Test Your Mig--oh it's over" features a random, TV-style bleep in the middle of the source video. The duo makes fun of this both when it happens and in the post commentary.
- Soundtrack Dissonance:
Diabetus: This music doesn't fit with what's going on at all!!
- Space Adventure Cobra doesn't have that many music tracks, resulting in some wildly inappropriate music at times. Of course slowbeef points this out at every opportunity
- The soundtrack of Deep Fear, which is actually quite good, is spoiled by the dullness of the situation.
- The source video for "OH YES I AM DOWN WITH THE SICKNESS" uses "Decadence" by Disturbednote as background music for an LP of a Facebook anime-style profile picture application. The duo pretends to be otaku who think this is awesome.
slowbeef: This is so not appropriate for the action!
- The sudden metal music at the end of "Mario Dies at the End" catches them both off guard and brings slowbeef to hysterics.
- "Final Zone 2 Part 2" opens with Round 4 of Final Zone II as Momoko Ring, in which what sounds like the pop song opening theme of an anime plays in the background. In a top-down military shooter. The riffers joke that the soundtrack was composed before the game's genre was finalized.
Diabetus: It's what she's listening to in her ears. It gets her into the killing mood!
slowbeef: Final Zone II: Shit Just Happens and Then I Don't Know What.
Diabetus: Final Zone II: Our Pandora Is Really Broken.
- So Unfunny, It's Funny: In Let's Play IMDB, they tell so many bad puns that it becomes so unfunny, that it's funny.slowbeef: Would anyone find this [video] funny besides us?
Diabetus: I think they tuned out a long time ago.
- SpaceX: Diabetus makes a big deal about the "Space" part of Space Adventure Cobra and the two of them prefix random things with "space" and talk about how things are the way they are because it's space.
- Spin-Off: Webcam Ward, a video series on Something Awful with slowbeef and Khad (Diabetus took Khad's place from When Fur is Rubbed the Wrong Way on) commentating on various other Youtube videos.
- Spoiler Opening: PTSD: Pokemon Traumatic Stress Disorder is an RP of a Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers LP that consists of a failed attempt to get through a dungeon, preceded by a minute and a half of anime music playing over clips that spoil every plot twist in the game after that point.
- Stalker with a Crush: This picture sums their opinion up
- Stealth Insult: During the credits of Kings Quest V Absence Makes The Heart Go Yonder, slowbeef and Diabetus notice that Roberta Williams was credited as a "Harpy" and a "Rat", and assumed that the game was insulting its very own creator.
- Stealth Pun: In this vid, Diabetus suggests that instead of hanging out with Solar Man and getting blazed, he and slowbeef should simply chill, man. Just chill, man. Chill Man is the Robot Master weak to Solar Blaze in Mega Man 10.
- Another, less subtle one shows up in the "Let's Rock Out" video with Diabetus commenting "I wonder how long he had to Muse over the song choice before he felt ready." The LP was of Knights of Cydonia, a song by the band.
- Suspiciously Specific Denial: The "Meet 'N' Fuck Kingdom" video has all the sex scenes censored out, with the player adding in text lying about what the character was doing.Narration: And then they drank tea. They certainly didn't engage in six incredibly frustrating, boring, and shameful sexual mini-games that were so needlessly complex, these three girls are essentially the final bosses of Meet n' Fuck Kingdom. Nope.
- Sweet Home Alabama: Diabetus is from Alabama, and has the Southern Hospitality trait down to a tee with his more deadpan sense of humour and stoicism. During the State Flag round in "What is Madmatty Thinking?" "Correctl!" he immediately recognizes the Alabama flag from a vague written description, without even seeing it.
- Take a Third Option: Demonstrated in this exchange
- Take Your Time: They repeatedly mock King's Quest V: Absence Makes the Heart Go Yonder! for this. "King Graham, the forgetful adventurer".
- Tempting Fate:
- In their Gaming in the Clinton Years Xenogears Retsupurae:
- Also, in the Most Shameful Thing In The World Retsupurae:
- In Let's Point at Super Metroid: "I propose this video cannot get worse from this moment. Seriously." Somehow, it did.
- In MageKnight404's Let's Play of Pokemon White:MageKnight: So thanks for watching us play Pokemon White.
Diabetus: (In fake Hilda voice) "Who are you talking to?"
MageKnight: (In his Hilda voice) "Wait, who are you talking to?"
slowbeef: Oh god.
- During the Escape RP:slowbeef: Now to solve this puzzle tout suite. (Places sink handle on faucet and turns it on.) First we turn on the water...
Proteus: This might be the least retarded solution for any puzzle in this game yet.
slowbeef: And we're going to stop up the water with the silver coin...
Proteus: Never mind, spoke too soon...
- During the Arise 4 RF, slowbeef mentions the how easy it is to accidentally click off a window during the game's awful combat sections, while he's fighting one of the enemies. No points for guessing what he does almost immediately afterwards.
- Invoked during "Adults React To PewDiePie":slowbeef: *Sigh* Y'know, maybe I'm making to much of this, maybe it's not that bad. I'm sure it has some appeal and there's probably nothing that terrible in these videos I mean you know—
PewDiePie: Look! He's raping her, he's raping her!
slowbeef: I'm sorry, what was that?
- This becomes an unintentional Running Gag throughout the Hopkins FBI wrongpurae, where slowbeef and Mr. DJB joke about stupid things Hopkins is about to do to solve a puzzle, and then he actually does them no matter how ludicrous. "I Was Just Joking" practically turns into their catchphrase throughout the entire series.
- After the end of the mission in Surgical Strike, the protagonist goes to a tropical island to vacation with some bikini babes. DJB responds to this with "It'd be great if these beach girls just started exploding." They immediately do, courtesy of Kabul.
- Near the end of Dracula Unleashed, Diabetus mock protagonist Alexander's inability to protect anyone by commenting that he would come back into the house where his fiance is in along with Van Helsing and find it swarming with vampires. He does.
- Slowbeef's sarcastic declaration of "All hail Shadow!" during parts 40 and 41 of his Sonic '06 wrongpurae becomes a delicious case of foreshadowing when the game starts singing those very words sincerely during Shadow's credit song.
- Speaking of Sonic '06, the very first thing Diabetus says in the first part of the saga is "Will it explode your Playstation 3?". Sure enough, halfway through the game Slowbeef's PS3 went kaput.
- Diabetus seems to have developed clairvoyance for imminent silliness. From their RP of Metroid: Other M's theater mode:Diabetus: If only grappling was authorized...
Adam [in game]: Samus, use of the Grapple Beam is authorized!
- During "Assjoe's Silent Hill", Mr. DJB notes that he feels that they're "not at risk", no matter what they do, because there are no forests to eat them (in reference to the two "Fog" games the group tackled earlier in the stream). slowbeef enters a room that the game notes a "nasty smell" is coming from as he's saying this, and five seconds later a jumpscare kills him.
- That Came Out Wrong: During the Space Adventure Cobra longplay:slowbeef: "They call me The Fister!" ...Oh, shit, wait, I didn't mean that.
- The Tape Knew You Would Say That: Invoked. In Worst Retsupurae Ever, slowbeef remarks on the laziness of the Pokemon animators, saying "They won't care, they already spent their 100 yen!" Later the guys are joking about Kabuto:Proteus: What the fuck is a Kabuto? Isn't that that weird kind of Japanese theater where they get all- paint on their face and shit?
slowbeef: It might as well be.
Proteus: I know somebody's going to leave a fuckin' comment, by the way, that goes, "no you're thinking of Kabuki", so shut up, fuck you, don't even do it.
slowbeef: It's the same person who's gonna go, "You know, slowbeef, 100 yen's really not a lot of money."
Proteus: You know, I hope somebody actually put that fucking comment in before they watched the rest of the video.
slowbeef: They're gonna fuckin' delete it now, I know.
Proteus: You're gonna see like 27 comments have been deleted.
- The "That's So Kaizo!" videos gave us this gem:slowbeef: Now maybe I'll two-star this video instead...I know someone in the comments is gonna say the stupid thing—alright, fine, thumbs down, or whatever they do on YouTube.
Diabetus: Middle finger, actually.
- Deliberately invoked in the Huzzah! video.
- As the Wrongpurae of the Jurassic Park arcade game draws to a close, slowbeef realizes he's been referring to the Triceratops as a Stegosaurus for the entire game, and suspects everyone will leave comments to correct him. They did.
- The "That's So Kaizo!" videos gave us this gem:
- Thanksgiving Episode: "A Retsupurae Thanksgiving"
- This Is for Emphasis, Bitch!: In the animation Refund, the character screams in a monotone "BITCH, GET THE FUCK OFF ME. DIE, BITCH, DIE. GO TO HELL, YOU LITTLE BITCH, DIE." Later in the video, it provoked the following discussion.slowbeef: I— maybe it was, like, how to get a refund... Like, "Don't be afraid to take back your pumpkins."
Diabetus: "This is an example of a defective product. Here's what you should do in this situation, bitch."
slowbeef: Why didn't he just put a text that said I WAS DISPLEASED and save yourself some artwork, there?
- They also did it before that.
Diabetus: "MY SHOPPING EXPERIENCE WAS SUBPAR."
- Title Drop: In their Trapped Retsuflash:Narration: Why do I feel so... trapped?
Proteus: Oh, I see what you did there.
slowbeef: I can't believe that they actually did that.
Dialla: Why do I feel so... trapped?
- Later, during the third game of the series they throw in forced title drops to all three games in the series—Trapped, Pursuit and Escape—in immediate succession.
slowbeef: "W-why do I feel so trapped?!"
Proteus: I feel trapped! Trapped in this pursuit—
both: —and I have to escape!
- Strangely averted in the Satanorium Retsufrash (one would expect a Newgrounds game with a title like that to be dropping it at every punctuation mark), which causes slowbeef to repeatedly mispronounce it as "sanatorium."
- Together in Death: Joked about in "Jack Slate's First Day on the Force" when a Crime Patrol mook dies clutching a box in a warehouse.Diabetus: Aww, he was in love with that box.
slowbeef: Now they can be together forever!
- Toilet Humor: A Running Gag in their Rise of the Dragon Wrongpurae involved the inexplicable fart noises the machines made. A door in the dark world of Dark Seed II had a similar sound effect that they commented on as well.
- Their riff on Deep Fear had a few fart jokes due to bubbles occasionally appearing behind John Mayor in underwater sections and a theory about air grenades. In part 3 of the wrongpurae, slowbeef brings up an anecdote about someone in his office who is apparently such a Gass Hole it affects other people's productivity.
- Too Incompetent to Operate a Blanket: A Day in the Life of DarkSydePhil parodies Phil's inability to perform basic actions in games as well as his tendency to blame said games for his own incompetence by applying the same thing to real life actions such as starting up a car, unlocking an iPad or even eating pasta with a fork.
- Troll: "The Marios", which they discover that the LP was intentionally made to be horrible. The total derailment of their commentary is hilarious.
slowbeef: It seems like it's a troll, except it went on for 33 videos. Like, he thought this was really funny.
- There was another troll video RP at one point. It was an absolutely atrocious Super Mario Bros. 64 LP by "SuperCrazyHealthBar", but this time, when slowbeef and Diabetus realized that he made it intentionally bad to be RP'd, they immediately privitized and cut all ties to it. It's a shame too, since it was a pretty good riffing (though it's been mirrored here). It was mostly likely taken down because, while "The Marios" was cleverly done and entertaining to watch on its own, the Mario 64 LP went on for over thirty videos, all of which were nigh-impossible to watch due to the horrific screechy audio.
Diabetus: No one carries on a joke that long.
- Troperiffic: How slowbeef and Diabetus describe Jimmy from Dark Seed II, very nearly right down to the name:Diabetus: I'm sure the guy who calls himself 'the local wiseguy' is, in fact, the local wiseguy.
slowbeef: "By the way, I'm quote-unquote 'mobbed up'!"
Diabetus: "I'm a bit of a 'loose cannon', they would say!"
slowbeef: "If you've ever seen The Sopranos, maybe? I'm like the guy on DVD 2"
Diabetus: "You'll find me all over TV Tropes!"
- Understatement: slowbeef's response to reading BearPigMan's message regarding the "difficulty" of Paradigm Shift: "So this looks like an annoying game to play."
- The Unfavorite: BillyMC, whose older brother, JacobMC, is much more liked by his parents. To the point where Billy's Christmas present is two McDonald's French Fries that a hobo rubbed on his armpits. And the dog ate one. "You got JacobMC an Xbox 360!" "Well he's much better at Mario than you, and he's a Harvard graduate."
- Conveniently enough, there is a jacobmc channel on Youtube which contains a few regular videos. Nevertheless, every comment section of his videos and profile is filled with avid BillyMC supporters yelling their abuse at the inactive Jacob.
- Unfortunate Implications: In-Universe.
- They basically have a field day with Metroid: Other M's many, many sexist implications. They're also quite disturbed at the blatant Freudian symbolism.
- Jack Orlando's attempt to use Deliberate Values Dissonance to show the homophobic and racist bigotry of 1930's America backfires since much of that dialogue is coming from the mouth of the already-unlikable player character. It just makes slowbeef and Diabetus hate him even more.Diabetus: It's rare that you want to root against the hero of the story, but here we are! I'd like Jack to be in prison for a long time.
- Unfortunate Names:
slowbeef: Is this supposed to make me afraid of Crystal Boy? Because his name is still Crystal Boy.
- Diabetus' real name is apparently John Assfucker.
- Hammerbolt Joe and Crystal Boy, from the Space Adventure Cobra longplay.
- Unusual Euphemism: Alexander's "Magic Map" in King's Quest VI.
- Narrator: Alexander pulls out his "Magic Map".
Diabetus: Yeah, that's a euphemism if I've ever heard one.
slowbeef: Every time he says that, I'm expecting something horrible!
- Verbal Tic: A few forced examples as part of a gag:Second Kaizo Mario World Retsupurae: SNES9X
I Wanna Be The Guy Retsupurae: Please Stop Let's Playing I Wanna Be The Guy
Battletoads Retsupurae, with 007's shyer, nerdier brother.: Battletoads. Battletoads. BATTLETOADS. Battletoads.
- Diabetus really likes to say "Battletoads", by the way - he does it several times completely unprompted during both his Battletoads LPs and his MST of the Battletoads pilot.
- As mentioned above, slowbeef demonstrated in "Resident Seavil 2" that his habit of narrating illogical or abrupt story transitions with "Meanwhile, Back at the..." is more deep-seated than he realized when he unsuccessfully attempted to not say it throughout the whole video.
- slowbeef says "y'know?" or "know what I mean?" almost constantly in the middle of casual conversation, such as during Retsutalk.
- Viewers Are Morons: Justified in Nightmare House where the solution to a puzzle is blatantly told to you on a nearby note, due to it being another Moon Logic Puzzle. Which kind of defeats the purpose.slowbeef: Now, seriously—you remade the game and you kept these shit puzzles in? Like, you had the whole opportunity!
General Ironicus: It would be really clever and keep people out if he didn't just tape the instructions to the wall right next to it.
Diabetus: You had to flash back to this? How stupid do you think we are!?
- Pointed out in the Cobra Wrongupurae when the game showed a flashback to something right after the game told Cobra what had happened.
- Violation of Common Sense: In Arrival in Hell, slowbeef and Diabetus have to kill a demon (with burning flesh) - by attacking it with a deodorant flamethrower.slowbeef: We use the matches with the deodorant to get a flamethrower, to kill the beast with the burning flesh!
- Visual Pun: In "A Day in the Life of DarkSydePhil", one scene has Psychedelic Eyeball draw a dog with two floppy ears. As in floppy disks.
- Wham Line: From "The Marios":Luwiigi Master: *laughter* Oh my God, I'm sorry, people, it's just that I keep thinking about all these other Let's Players who, like, got made fun of by Retsupurae...
slowbeef: Aww, shit! *commentary proceeds to derail entirely*
- And another from "So there's that":
slowbeef: So, I know we were gonna wait until the 9 minute mark, but, um... I-I thi-I think they've seen enough. Should we tell 'em?
- A few days earlier than "The Marios" comes this example from "Huzzah!":
Diabetus: I... Yeah, I- I think; we can't keep this up any longer.
slowbeef: Yeah, uh, we actually haven't been watching any video. We're gonna splice this right over any one of DeceasedCrab's videos.
- Duke Crabtree's immortal line from the final chapter of Ambition: "Because I'm a terrorist!"
- After spending the entire video listening to George Wood's contradictory schizophrenic ramblings about the Toy Story game, he makes one comment that genuinely shocks Slowbeef and Diabetus:George Wood: Bottom line, when all is said and done, Toy Story has better gameplay than either of the Donkey Kong Country games.slowbeef / Diabetus: WAIT, WHAT?!
- What the Hell, Hero?: Diabetus gave slowbeef a big one after slowbeef deliberately withheld the Holocaust and rape plot points from him during their riff of I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream, since it resulted in Diabetus accidentally making a lot of bad jokes.
- What Did I Do Last Night?: According to slowbeef, he and Diabetus got drunk and woke up to find that they had recorded an hour and a half retsupurae on an LP of Last Alert with no player commentary.
- What Do You Mean, It's for Kids?: Basically the entire point of this video, where slowbeef and TieTuesday poke fun at a Fun Kids Smile web cartoon that uses plagiarized Disney characters and "jokes" about Domestic Abuse, sex and Toilet Humor. Even worse, there's more.
- What the Hell Is That Accent?: Their reaction to the inexplicable voice of BlazeDragon132.
Goldskarr: Actually, I remember playing [Battletoads] on the Super 'Tendo...
- There's also this little tidbit:
Diabetus: ...The Super Tendo?
slowbeef: What the hell accent is that?
Diabetus: Uh, a drunk British person trying to sound American?
slowbeef: Sounds to me like an American who burned his tongue on soup trying to sound British.
- They also have trouble with the main character's accent in Arrival in Hell. They eventually conclude that he's Australian.
- Most viewers' reaction to PsychedelicEyeball's accent. note
- Their reaction to Mrs. Ramirez in the Wrongpurae of Dark Seed II. They eventually narrow it down from "European Mish-Mash" to "Vaguely Irish/Swedish", but have definitely ruled out any sort of Hispanic accent.
- With Chip and Ironicus, one of their targets was Cauchemar89, who apparently had an Swiss German accent; one that was quite bizzare to them, to the point of making 'Skaetbord Skampurr' a running gag throughout the video, similar to above examples.
- Who's on First?: In "Mass Erect", DJB jokingly interprets Diabetus reading a review by "youngerme" to mean that Diabetus was claiming to have written the review in the past:Diabetus: by youngerme4427: "sex my favorite"
DJB: "Younger me?" You wrote that one, then?
Diabetus: Yeah. What can I say? Sex my favorite.
- Why Did it Have to Be Spiders?: Diabetus, it seems. During a conversation in King's Quest VI: Heir Today, Gone Tomorrow with a talking spider, he comments:Diabetus: You know, I think I'd have a different response to this. You know what that would be?
- Why Don't You Just Shoot Him?: Uttered by slowbeef in the first part of the Escape RP when Dialla has Dan McNeely at gunpoint. Subverted by Dialla actually taking the shot.
- The Wiki Rule: Discussed in the Haunted Museum Wrongpurae, as slowbeef is shocked to discover that the game (technically) has its own wiki.
- The Worf Effect: The first scene with the titular character in Psycho Killer involves the protagonist kicking him in the head, knocking his machete out of his hands.slowbeef: But we beat up the killer. He's not threatening anymore. He's really more just like a Psycho Jerk.
- World of Pun: Let's Play IMDB was chock full of lame Bruce Willis puns. Eventually they just end up using random movie/TV show titles.
- Worth It: Diabetus comments that the head explosion in Dark Seed II made sitting through the game worthwhile. This also happens with some of the other games that are Wrongpuraed.
- Wrong On So Many Levels: slowbeef's opinion of the Busco quadnary Kickstarter.slowbeef: (livid) I can't even get base enough to describe why he's so wrong.
- Xtreme Kool Letterz: In Retsupurae 3000 they explain this with "Vowels are much scarcer in The Future".
- You Didn't See That: In BillyMC's Christmas Adventure, both slowbeef and Diabetus are shocked when it seems that Billy has used a savestate to fix a mistake. They both admonish him and tell him that they'll look away this time... note
- You Have Got to Be Kidding Me!: The very first thing said in "Guestsupurae: Erik vs. TCarreon998" upon seeing the LPer's setup:slowbeef: ...You're fucking kidding me, right?
Diabetus: Alright, I gotta - Three and a half out of five!
- During the Metroid Beginings [sic] retsufrash, slowbeef and Diabetus log on to Newgrounds to see the review scores.
slowbeef: *laughing* Where? The first one? No, wait...totally?
Diabetus: No, I mean, just - aggregate.
slowbeef: You're kidding me.
- You Keep Using That Word: in the Kaizo Mario 64 videos, they jokingly use "kaizo" an awful lot in many varying contexts. (For the record, it just means "hacked", which nobody can really deny the game in the videos is, no matter how poorly.)slowbeef: I like how he stole 'kaizo', like that's the ubiquitous term for bad romhacks that are more annoying to play than anything.
- Your Head A-Splode: This recurring trope of slowbeef's LPs has finally made its presence in Retsupurae in the form of the Dark World counterpart of Mike Dawson's mother, serving as the Dark Seed II longplay's only Funny Moment of Awesome.
- 0's and 1's: Apparently, the pitchman in "Kickstarter Nonstarters: The New Era of Modern Computing" not only believes in this trope, but he's convinced that those zeroes and ones are actual zeroes and ones (instead of an abstract concept) and has based his idea of "busco quadnary" on adding two more numbers to binary. slowbeef, who has dabbled in some programming, is absolutely flabbergasted by this, and that's not even the only thing wrong with the pitch video.
- Absentee Actor: slowbeef is not present in Episodes 3 (or its extension, Episode 3.5), 12, and 13. Diabetus is absent in episodes 16 and 32.
- Badass Boast: Dave_o makes one for slowbeef when discussing how dangerous Camden, New Jersey is, complete with an action voice.dave_o: slowbeef works out there.
- Bait-and-Switch: Milked for all its worth whenever there's a big issue.
- Bile Fascination: In-Universe, slowbeef describes himself as an ironic fan of DarkSydePhil.slowbeef: He never bottoms out! It's amazing!
- Blasphemous Boast: In one of the episodes where dave_o is present, he, Diabetus, and slowbeef get into talking about how they consider the Church Of Scientology to be a Scam Religion. It gets to this trope when dave_o suggests that Joseph Smith beat L. Ron Hubbard to the punch.
- Butt-Monkey: Proton Jon.
- The Cameo: Jeff Lupetin (Gillian Seed's voice actor provides a short intro to Episode 9.
- Evil Laugh: In Episode 36, NorthernLion has a button that produces the laugh from Dungeon Land.
- Fantastic Racism: Toward the end of the first Dungeon World episode, Diabetus animates a statue and tells it to kill all non-humans. The statue later shows up as a horrible monster, which leads to a Brick Joke that it's a metaphor for the evil of racism.
- Fix It in Post: A running gag in Episode 8.
- Fetish Retardant: In Episode 78, where the duo discusses American Horror Story, slowbeef notices that the show's attempts to sexualize Jessica Lange is this to him, because Lange happens to look a lot like his own mother, making said attempts feel very weird and off-putting to him.
- Funny Background Event: A lot of what Dave_O says.
- The Ghost: Proteus is apparently slated to show up on the show eventually, but circumstances (including apparently becoming a father) have continuously gotten in the way of him showing up.
- Hilarity Sues: In Episode 15, their discussion about Sega turns into this.
- It Makes Sense in Context: In Episode 27, the guest Tim Miller tells a short story about how he translated a Shinobi-X video into Japanese and gave the translation to a friend/editor to see if he got everything right. She was apparently quite confused by the line "ninja hand fart", among others.
- The Jersey Devil: Dave_o theorizes that slowbeef is this in episode 8.
- Lower-Deck Episode: The "theme" of episodes 3 and 3.5, where Diabetus and General Ironicus talk about being "LP sidekicks" to slowbeef and ChipCheezum respectively.
- Madlibs Catch Phrase: It's the "Breaking Bad of X".
- Never Say That Again: slowbeef's reaction to Diabetus trying Pokémon Speak, and when Diabetus tried to impersonate Yoda.
- Obfuscating Stupidity: Discussed in the case of DarkSydePhil, where Diabetus says that Phil possibly plays up his ineptitude because it garners views and reactions. slowbeef however doubts it since Phil acts like that both in and out of games and that it would be fairly difficult to keep up the act all the time without some sign of slipping up.
- Poe's Law: Discussed between slowbeef and Woolie in episode 48, where Woolie describes a point where they attempted to parody the trend of LPers relying on overexaggerated reactions only for their fans to mistake it as the real deal and calling them out for it.
- Pokémon Speak: slowbeef says "when you're drunk, repeating their names is the funniest goddamn thing ever", and Diabetus jokingly says that's how he speaks when he's drunk.
- A Rare Sentence: slowbeef says he has trouble believing that he's saying the phrase "ProtonJon was tricked into doing a Super Mario World ROM hack LP."
- RPG Episode: Episodes 45 & 49 consist of slowbeef, Diabetus, ChipCheezum, General Ironicus, and 100 HOGS AGREE playing the game Dungeon World.
- Running Gag: Transitioning with "so there's that."
- The Breaking Bad comparisons in Episode 2, and Diabetus fixing things in post in episode 8.
- Diabetus mentioning that he'll fix or edit entire chunks of the recording out in post.
- slowbeef gushing about the SA Danganronpa thread... and in later episodes, slowbeef complaining about how he's gotten fed up with it.
- All of the "Live from PAX" episodes begin with the duo and whoever they're with reading aloud Craigslists ads for "casual encounters."
- Samus Is a Girl: In Episode 27, Diabetus and Cherrydoom are surprised to find out that guest MelodicWaffle is a girl.
- Shout-Out: Episode 9 has a segment where slowbeef and Diabetus give shout outs to some Let's Plays on the forums that they enjoy.
- In multiple episodes, slowbeef gushes over Dangan Ronpa* , Diabetus over The Binding of Isaac, and Dave_O over Minecraft.
- All the Breaking Bad references. (Retsutalk is the Breaking Bad of podcasts.)
- Episode 14 is more or less slowbeef advertising Virtue's Last Reward.
- In episode 34, Lowtax sums up his opinion on scarecam LPs with, "You'll scream to anything," in reference to the Dead Milkmen song, "Instant Club Hit (You'll Dance to Anything)."
- Special Guest: Frequently.
- Recurring guests:
- General Ironicus: Episodes 3, 3.5, 13, 23, 45, 49
- ChipCheezum: Episodes 6, 13, 23, 45, 49
- Dave_O: Episodes 4-8
- ProtonJon: Episodes 8, 15, 24
- Cherrydoom: Episodes 19-21, 27, 29.
- Dectilon and Phiggle in episode 12, Psychedelic Eyeball in episode 14, orenronen in episode 16, and TotalBiscuit in episode 32.
- Parodied in episodes 26 and 27; the "special guest" is slowbeef both times.
- Lowtax in episode 34.
- Northern Lion in episode 36.
- Yahtzee in episode 37.
- Supergreatfriend in Episode 39.
- Michael and Ray of Achievement Hunter/Rooster Teeth in Episode 41.
- Woolie of Two Best Friends Play in Episode 48. Pat in Episode 54.
- Zorak (anime/manga mod of SA) in Episode 50.
- Jim Sterling in episode 55.
- Recurring guests:
- Take That!: Diabetus takes a shot at Jeff Dunham, comparing him favorably to PewDiePie, though as if he's surprised to be doing so.
- It's hard to find a podcast where they don't take at least one cheap shot at PewDiePie or DarkSydePhil.
- Un-person: In episode 8, they jokingly try to turn ChipCheezum into one of these.
- Values Dissonance: Discussed in Episode 16 regarding how the Japanese handle Spoilers compared to North America. Basically, spoiling something in the Japanese section of the internet blackballs the user and Japanese forums can have separate threads on a game: one where people are starting the game and one where people have finished the game and can freely reveal spoilers.
- Vulgar Humor: Discussed in Episode 10, where slowbeef argues that PewDiePie is overtly bringing this up in regards to rape and other vulgar jokes in a misguided attempt to be funny.
- Adorkable: Chip.
- Be Careful What You Wish For: In Retsupurae Sonic Advance 2, after sitting through two-and-a-half minutes of repetitive commentary about the level, Ironicus asks for the LPer to say something new. Less than 15 seconds later, he unfortunately gets his wish. note
- Department of Redundancy Department: During the RP of Pac Man World 2General Ironicus: You have 39 lives! This is clearly a baby game for babies!
- Eye Catch: The Elemental Goddess special episode MST included one that had bad Fan-Art and a "Joke Fan Art" done in the Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann style by Peachi.
- Filler: Remember, kids, having long videos is not the same thing as having lots of worthwhile content. Particularly evident in nacho, where the host is already done three minutes in, but stays in the level for seven more minutes, doing absolutely nothing so he can fill up the YouTube time limit. With this in mind, it's no surprise that he's spent over a year LPing Banjo-Tooie.
- Follow the Leader
- Foreshadowing: In ChipCheezum's riff on the first episode of Elemental Goddess, he makes a random joke about how much he hates Jews, followed by Ironicus telling him "we're not doing that episode yet." Flash-forward to several months later and the riff of The Special Episode and, well...
- Freudian Slip: Chip joked that the guy who did an LP of Pong was only allowed to watch news broadcasts from decades ago. After accidentally saying he had to watch nude broadcasts from decades ago.
- Girl-on-Girl Is Hot: Amazingly enough, subverted in Yowie wowie!!! Justified, though, because the girls in question were cosplaying as Naruto and Sasuke.General Ironicus: This is the world's best argument against girl on girl action!
ChipCheezum: I feel weird right now! This is wrong! Usually, I'd be like "YEEEEAAH!", but right now, right now...
- Lazy Artist: Chip calls out the author of The Mike Weiss Show for this.
- Never Heard That One Before: Ironicus begins the commentary over Retsupurae Megaman X2 by complaining about how every single bad LPer they could find on Youtube would invariably LP a Mega Man game alongside either I Wanna Be the Guy or Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels. He brings this up again a few minutes in when it turns out that the LPer is, big surprise, really bad at the game.
- Rapid-Fire "No!": From Yowie wowie!:
- Written Sound Effect: DDDDDDDDDDDDDKKKKKKKKKKKKK
- Arson, Murder, and Jaywalking: At the very end of LesBeardly's video on Blazzerdragon (after a lengthy rant against the LPer):BLAZZERDRAGON ...Eat a dick.
- BrotherSister Incest: Blazzerdragon tells a story about how a lesbian friend of his slept with her brother because she thought he was his boyfriend... or something.
- Deadpan Snarker: LesBeardly's videos are often done with a heavy dose of Sarcasm Mode.
- Fun with Subtitles: "Translations for PewDiePie fans" has LesBeardly calming playing Mass Effect 3, with subtitles that mock PewDiePie's style of videos.
- Rapid-Fire Comedy: His take on one of qzecwx's videos (back when annotations could be added by anyone) ends up turning into this, as the voiced annotations often overlap one another.
- Rouge Angles of Satin: All over the place in "Kirsten Land".
- Sarcasm-Blind: From the riff on dbzisdakrunk:(The player hits a P-Switch, causing the music to change into the famous Super Mario Bros theme)
dbzisdakrunk: I have no idea where he got that!
LesBeardly: Keep working on your sarcasm, buddy. I'm sure it'll improve with time.
Guest Commentator: Well, if you look at it, it's either the Mario 1 music, or—
LesBeardly: No, I take that back. It actually worked on his guest commentator there.
- Sarcasm Mode: Taken Up to Eleven in the appropriately titled "Commander Sarcasm does a retsupurae".
- Understatement: The description for his video on Blazzerdragon:I don't like this guy very much.
- Unfortunate Names: "dbzisdakrunk", which Beardly refuses to say out loud.