Psycho Killer is a video game on the Commodore Amiga CDTV and MS DOS, released in 1992, developed by Delta 4 Interactive and published by On-Line Entertaiment, the same people who brought us The Town With No Name.
The game's plot is simple. A woman goes into a car and drives, but suddenly runs into the titular killer. The protagonist also goes driving, but her car blocks the road and he has to stop. After that, we see the woman being kidnapped by the psycho, and our hero goes into the woods to save her.
The game plays like a Point-and-Click Adventure Game, you have to use the directional pad to move the pointer, pick a direction (left, up or right) and see as FMVs happen. Sometimes it's necessary to click something in time, for example to stop the car or defend yourself from the eponymous killer.
A sequel was planned, and apparently it would be "all in your mind", but it was never released.
Not to be confused with the Talking Heads song.
This game provides examples of:
- Antagonist Title: The title obviously refers to the killer, who's the Big Bad.
- Ax-Crazy: The PSYCHO killer.
- Big Bad: The killer is the one who kidnaps the girl, making the hero save her and defeat him in the end.
- Damsel in Distress: At the start of the game, you see a girl being kidnapped by the killer.
- Don't Go in the Woods: Most of the game takes place in a forest.
- Every Car Is a Pinto: If you crash the car at the beginning of the game, it explodes and you die.
- Evil Sounds Deep: The killer's voice is very deep, almost on an impossible level. The creators might have used an audio filter.
- Full Motion Video: The whole game. It's mostly just a series of edited screenshots from a VHS recording slapped together to provide the illusion of motion.
- Have a Nice Death: "Now my name is carved is stone... the ground is my eternal home."
- Machete Mayhem: The killer ambushed you with one, you can kick him win the face and you can pick it up for yourself to attack the Killer when he has a Molotov Cocktail in his hands but it slips.
- The Many Deaths of You: Downplayed. There's quite a few different death FMVs, but almost all of them are caused by the killer.
- Molotov Cocktail: The Killer tries to kill you with it, but as said above you can take it out of his hands. Interestingly the main character actually call it by it's correct name Petrol Bomb.
- Never Found the Body: After the killer supposedly drowns, it's said they never found his body. Even though the news article in the end poutright states that the killer was killed.
- No Name Given: We don't know the names of the hero or the girl. The killer may be named Morgan, due to a weird sequence where a man says "Morgan... Are you too weak to kill?".
- Photoshop Filter of Evil: When the killer appears on the screen, the game's colors turn to shades of red.
- Serial Killer: The killer himself. Though it's kind of an Informed Attribute. He isn't shown killing anyone, but the ending newspaper says he's an escaped killer, so he likely caused some deaths before the game's events.
- Schmuck Bait: Near the end of the game, there's a rather tempting phone, that seems like a chance for more plot or calling for help... too bad that if you go for it, the killer gets you, saying "Hang up... forever!".
- Zero-Effort Boss: After losing his machete in the final encounter, the killer no longer seems able to do anything to you, so the only thing left to do is throw him into the water.