(Tuco kills him with the gun he has hidden in the foam of his bubble bath)
Tuco: When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
Villains frequently find themselves in conundrums that could easily be solved by finding the right person and shooting them, but for whatever reason, refrain from doing so.
There may or may not be some in-story justification for this failure to take the direct approach. The Doylist explanation will always boil down to "because if he did just shoot him, the story would be much shorter, and the bad guys would win."
Sub Tropes include:
- Bond Villain Stupidity: The villain has the opportunity to kill the good guy, but leaves them alive anyway, sometimes for no adequately explained reason.
- Complexity Addiction: The villain does try to kill the hero, but employs some ridiculously elaborate (and thus easily-foiled) method, rather than just shooting them.
- Evil Gloating: Even when the villain intends to kill the hero in a straightforward fashion, they still feel the need to gloat about it immediately beforehand, thus giving the hero time to escape or fight back.
- Fair-Play Villain: The villain deliberately gives the hero a way to survive, specifically because they think shooting the hero would be dishonorable, unsporting, or simply less fun.
- Just Hit Him: When a physically imposing villain does try to kill the hero in a hands-on fashion, he opts to pick the hero up menacingly and throw them across the room a bunch, even though he could crush him or kill him with a few punches.
- Stating the Simple Solution: Someone in the story points out that the above options are stupid and that a simpler, more direct solution exists - namely, by just shooting him. The villain may or may not take their advice.
Compare Third Act Stupidity, Contractual Genre Blindness and Kill Him Already! (when the good guys are urging a quick kill). Contrast Combat Pragmatist and No-Nonsense Nemesis. Not to be confused with Just Eat Gilligan, although there can be overlap.
If you, the viewer, are wondering why someone won't just shoot someone else, Headscratchers is the place to ask.