Blood Whistle is a Super Mario Bros. creepypasta based off of Super Mario Bros. 3. It takes the form of a blog of a rather melodramatic college student as he plays through a ROM Hack titled SMB3:BW' that turns out to be full of "realistic blood."
Blood Whistle provides examples of:
- Accidental Misnaming: Roy and Ludwig are referred to as "Ray" and "Von", the latter of which is at least understandable since his full name is Ludwig Von Koopa.
- Apocalyptic Log: The story begins with a note stating that Bradley killed himself in his dorm room shortly after his last blog entry.
- Arc Words: "Hear its cry" appears three times in the creepypasta in reference to the Blood Whistle.
- Bond One-Liner: After disemboweling Bowser and all six of his sons with a dagger, Princess Toadstool turns next to Mario, telling him: "They got a little sharp with me so I pushed them over the EDGE! Hehehe..."
- Cannot Tell Fiction from Reality: Bradley believes that the Mario within the rom hack is fully sentient. His reactions to the rest of the hack, along with there being no indication that the hack itself is cursed or possessed in some way, imply he's just delusional.You're probably wondering as to why I complacently talk about Mario as if he's a human being. A human who suffers pain, sorrow, depression, starvation, and thirst like the rest of us. A human who is also capable of feeling happiness, remorse, goodwill and love like anyone else. It's because I am thoroughly convinced that he is.
- Devoured by the Horde: Mario is torn apart and eaten alive by Bowser and four of the Koopalings, and then again by a pack of demons.
- Driven to Suicide: Bradley takes his own life by plunging a recorder through his trachea.
- Go Mad from the Revelation: The experience of playing the game clearly took a toll on Bradley, leading him to plunge a recorder into his trachea.My whole life before I hit up on my arrow keypad was completely different. I was happy. I was normal. I could wake up in the morning recognizing my own reflection, being absolute about my safety. Now it's lies. All lies. I know that as of what happened today, my life will become an infernal hell in which every day will be a futile struggle to retain my own sanity. After finishing this wretched collage of electronic dejection, I will embrace death like a long lost lover with open arms.
- Hearing Voices: In World 2-1, Bradley starts hearing whispering voices saying "let the whistle guide you" and "the instrument of blood plays the sweetest tune" in time with a reversed version of the overworld music.
- The Illuminati: After seeing pyramids with eyes watching him, pentagrams and "other satanic symbols" in the background, the author wonders if the romhack was created by the Illuminati for one purpose or another.
- Impaled with Extreme Prejudice: The Blood Whistle flies down on its own and stabs Mario through the chest. It does this more than once.
- Maybe Magic, Maybe Mundane: It is not made clear at any point during the pasta whether or not the hack is supernatural or if it was created by some troll. This makes Bradley's Sanity Slippage over playing it all the more inexplicable.
- Number of the Beast: "666" is one of the various demonic symbols added to the backgrounds.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: The "possessed Princess Toadstool" is described as having gleaming red eyes.
- Shout-Out: "I've seen some pretty scary occurrences with emulator games before. Just look at BEN."
- Skewed Priorities: The author admits that the game made him more depressed than when his grandfather passed away when he was young.
- 13 Is Unlucky: The author notes at one point that it is currently June 13th, "the unlucky number, the unlucky day."