- Assist Character: The Arad Explorers feature allows any of your characters on the same server to call any of your Level 50+ characters to perform a predetermined attack out of 3 possible choices. There's no minimum level limit on who's allowed to call in the assist character, and the damage, while severely nerfed compared to the actual character, stays constant no matter who calls him/her, allowing you to clear out earlier dungeon rooms and One-Hit Kill weaker bosses on command.
- Badass Normal: Each class has a subclass with this as their motif, which is forgoing advanced magic or tactics for practical attacks.
- Slayers have the Blade Master, who uses only sword skills and styles to fight.
- Like Slayers, Female Slayers have the Vagabond, who is stated to purposefully supress the energy of the metastasis within them and uses Dual Wielding as their main form of offense. Despite this, they still end up being by far the flashiest class out of the 4.
- Fighters have the Striker, who uses simple but powerful strikes to hit enemies.
- Priests have the Monk, who forgoes weaponry and magic for powerful strikes and brute force, possibly backed by passive magic but never directly.
- Thieves have the Rogue, who doesn't use magic but fast movements and acrobatics to attack enemies.
- Gunners have the Ranger subclass, whose focus is solely on using his guns to the fullest and attacking with melee strikes and not anything else during battle.
- Mages don't seem to have one that fits this motif, but the Elementalist might be this magic style, not using any advanced magics but rather more simple magic types, or the Battle Mage, who has to use magic but forgoes many spells for a focus on using their weapon.
- Demonic Lancer has the Skirmisher, relying only on his lance for fast attacks.
- Calling Your Attacks: Plenty of them!"Elemental Rain!""Block Throw!""Junk Spin!"
- Dub Name Change: Plenty of the subclass names (and at least one class name) go through this when released in North America (under Nexon America) and Global (under Neople), to name a few:
- Ghost Knight -> Slayer
- Sword Saint -> Grand Master
- Sword God -> Omniblade
- Street Fighter -> Brawler
- Dark King -> Hades
- Supreme Emperor -> Tyrant
- Grand Master -> Titan
- Blaster -> Wrecking Ball
- Bloodia -> Corsair (when under Nexon America)
- Infighter -> Monk
- God Hand -> Templar
- Duelist -> Skirmisher
- Vampire -> Bloodseeker
- Storm Bringer -> Tempest
- Irregular -> Divergent
- Ascension -> Ascendant
- Paladin -> Lightbringer
- Tyrant -> Braveheart
- Dragonian Lancer -> Dragoon
- Dark Lancer -> Impaler
- Gunblader -> Agent
- Agent -> Secret Agent
- Gratuitous English: In the Korean and Japanese dubs at least, all of the characters will at least have some lines in English when they activate a skill.
- Hello, [Insert Name Here]
- No Name Given: Even with their own established personalities and backstories, they're never given any canon names.
- Image Song: Starting with the Female Slayer, new subclasses that come with a Leitmotif. The Korean DFO channel then gave each character their own song.
- One-Man Army: When you solo dungeons, they're easily this, subverted with Summoner, Chaos, Necromancer, and Mechanic.
- Significant Wardrobe Shift: All of the characters at least go through this through the process of Awakening as their cut-in art has them have different outfits or even have entirely different appearances.
- Weapon of Choice: Each class generally has a preferred weapon choice. They don't have to adhere to them, but certain classes encourage a certain weapon type to be used. note
- Blade Master: They can use any of the five sword types available, and because they aren't limited by a specific weapon mastery, they can switch between them at will. However, the Lightsabre is exclusive to them.
- Soul Bender: Katanas for speed and magic attack.
- Berserker: Zanbatos for power, katanas for speed.
- Asura: Short swords for magic power, katanas for a balance between magic attack power and speed.
- Sword Master: They can use any Slayer weapon with the exception of Lightsabres
- Demon Slayer: Zanbatos for their raw damage, but they transform into a Whip Sword in their hands.
- Dark Templar: Short Swords for magic attack.
- Vagabond: They can wield 2 types of weapons at the same time, but their offhand weapon is restricted to a Lightsabre. People generally prefer to use a Zanbato as their main weapon, since their naturally slow attack speed is nullified both by their main buff and the game averaging the attack speed between their 2 weapons, with the Lightsabre being the fastest weapon type. They're also unique in that they can actually change the type of their secondary weapon to another type of beam weapon on the fly , although this only changes the secondary effect of their main attack string.
- Striker: Boxing gloves, a balance of attack power and speed. Also, strikers are the only fighter subclass that are allowed to wield these.
- Grappler: Gauntlets for power, tonfas for speed and defense bonuses.
- Nen Master: Knucklers for magic attack power, tonfas for defense to balance out their cloth armor.
- Brawler: Claws, which are a balance of physical and magical attack power and can inflict bleeding.
- Ranger: Revolvers
- Launcher: Hand cannons, for high physical attack power. They don't use them much, anyways.
- Mechanic: Autoguns for high magic attack power.
- Spitfire: Bowsguns for magic attack power. Muskets for physical attack power.
- Elementalist, Summoner, and Elemental Bomber: Staves for raw power.
- Summoner and Glacial Master: Rods for casting speed (Important for Glacial Masters) and skill bonuses)
- Witch and Dimension Walker: Broomsticks, grant Witches the ability to fly and Dimension Walkers increased Casting Speed.
- Battlemage and Blood Mage: Spears for physical attack power,
- Battlemage and Swift Master: Poles for speed.
- Crusader: Crosses to boost their ability to buff and heal their teammates, rosaries for magical attack power.
- Monk: Totem poles for attack power and speed, but battle axes and scythes would also work.
- Exorcist: Battle axe for physical attack power, rosaries for magical attack power, or scythes for speed and a balance between physical and magical power.
- Avenger: Scythes for magical attack power and speed.
- Rogue: Daggers for speed, Twin Swords for power.
- Necromancer: Dual Wands for magical attack power.
- Kunoichi: Kunai (called Chakra Weapons ingame).
- Shadow Dancer: Daggers.
- Creator: Broomsticks, but they can't even attack with them.
- Dark Knight: Swords. Unique in that he can use any Slayer weapon without a problem, and can choose which weapon type he wants to be good with.
- Elven Knight: Can only wield Zanbatos.
- Chaos: Can only wield Short Swords.
- Dragon Knight: Can only wield Katanas.
- Lightbringer: Can only wield Bludgeons.
- Demonic Lancer
- Skirmisher: Lances for speed.
- Vanguard: Halberds for attack power.
- Dragonian Lancer: Beam Lances.
- Dark Lancer: Javelins.
- Secret Agent: Hand gun and Tachi.
- Trouble Shooter: Shotgun and Heavy blade.
- Hit Man: SMG and Chang dao.
- Specialist: Pistol and Core Blade.
The Slayer is a swordsman whose arm is possessed by the demon Kazan. Because of this, he must keep his arm shackled with magic chains to keep the demon at bay. His base class specializes in close combat, charging at the enemy with powerful melee attacks. He can also call upon the demonic power of his arm to supplement his attacks.
Possible subclasses include: Blade Master, Soul Bender, Berserker, and Asura
Tropes associated with the Slayer:
- Charles Atlas Superpower: A rather mundane version; due to Kazan's curse taking one of his arms, he has trained himself in the art of using only his remaining hand, eventually gaining the power to wield in one hand weapons that would take the average warrior two.
- Deal with the Devil: Three of the four subclasses involve the slayer utilizing the power of his demonic arm to some degree. The Asura subclass makes a pact, trading his sight for the ability to perceive and control "waves." The Berserker gives in to possession to gain immense power, and the Soul Bender takes control by learning to control demonic energies.
- Demonic Possession: One of his arms is possessed by the demon Kazan.
- Heroes Prefer Swords: Subverted if he equips a bludgeon.
- Image Song: Demon Within
- Red Right Hand: Due to possession by Kazan.
- Self-Made Orphan: Though not by choice.
- Shonen Hair: Spiky throughout all of his awakening portraits, except for the Omniblade, who instead becomes a Long-Haired Pretty Boy.
The Blade Master chooses not to rely on his demonic arm nor let it consume him, instead continuing to improve his swordsmanship. The Blademaster wears light armor primarily and does not specialize in a specific weapon like most subclasses, instead specializing in utilizing every weapon that a slayer can wield, including their own exclusive weapon, the Lightsabre. The Blade Master is a combo-based class, having a wide variety of sword skills with different effects depending on which weapon he's wielding.
The Blade Master's Awakening is Grand Master which adds the ability to lower his opponent's defense on a critical hit and allows him to summon a Sword Storm.
His 2nd Awakening is the Omniblade. The Omniblade gains the ability to telekinetically manipulate his blades and utilizes the techniques of famous slayers such as Aganzo and Bwanga.
- Badass Normal: Whereas the other subclasses rely on the power of the Slayer's demonic arm, the Blade Master relies only on his sword skills.
- Blade Spam: Secret Slayer Technique, which essentially becomes the replacement for his normal combo and can be combined with it: its exact effects depend on the weapon equipped, but it generally involves multiple attacks with additional effects, with the exception of the Zanbato version that draws enemies in with a small tornado before doing massive damage with a single giant charged-up slash.
- An even better version of this is the Illusion Sword Dance, which involves up to 25 extremely fast slashes over the course of 3 seconds, followed by a multi-hitting Sword Beam.
- His 2nd Awakening move, Omnislay: Mind's Sword is a more focused example of this: he sheathes his sword, charges up and everything in the area in front of him is hit by multiple slashes. Season 2 update allows him to hit even enemies that move out of the target area and adds in a damaging Cross Slash finisher to the move if it's fully charged that targets the enemy with the most HP remaining.
- Boring, but Practical: One of the few subclasses that can really make use of the esoteric "Magic Cataclysm" Epic shoulder armor. Its effect has a chance to triple Basic Attack power when using skills, which would normally just be a gimmick and nothing more, but Secret Slayer Technique uses Basic Attack power while simultaneously counting as a skill (not to mention with a Lightsaber or Katana, it hits many times per second to activate the effect more often). The effect's cooldown is just as long as its duration, meaning it can be maintained 100% of the time, rending 90% of his moveset moot when his DPS will be higher just using this skill. Without using much of his hard hitting skills, the Blade Master falls into a Death of a Thousand Cuts type of subclass, and while certainly not weak in the long run, it lacks much of the flash and impact of a powerhouse.
- Iaijutsu Practitioner: Several of his skills, including Draw Sword and Lightning Draw Sword. Blade Masters can specialize in this with the Thousand Sword Warrior Chronicle set. Another update gives him another move like this called Ultimate Blade Dance - Lightning that works more like a Diagonal Cut.
- Implausible Fencing Powers: While a lot of the Blade Master's skills qualify, this trope is taken to the extreme with his Awakening Active, Sword Storm, which lets the Blade Master to summon a ring of floating blades to assault his enemies with. Taken Up to Eleven with his second Awakening Active, which allows him to summon multiple floating swords that attack the enemy when he does.
- Long-Haired Pretty Boy: In his 2nd awakening portrait.
- Master Swordsman: Can wield any slayer weapon and of all the slayer subclasses specializes in maintaining combos.
- Multi-Melee Master: Can wield Lightsabers, Zanbatos, Katanas, Short Swords, or Bludgeons, often switching between them mid dungeon. Most of his skills vary in properties depending on what weapon he's wielding, generally resulting in more hits or additional followup strikes.
- Stance System: Flowing Stance works as one, giving him access to a variety of moves while in the stance. Note that once he has a used a move the stance is immediately canceled.
- He can use these moves out of the stance but at a greater cost with less damage.
- One of the moves is a sword Shoryuken which does extra damage to airborne enemies.
- Some Dexterity Required: Notably one of two subclasses along with Dark Knight that can use the Epic Lightsaber Balmung due to the Lightsaber License requirement (the other being Vagabond). It increases your damage by a whopping 60% but requires you to empty your skill bar in order to maximize damage, making you use your skills through manual input. Unfortunately for him, Secret Slayer Technique and Flowing Stance cannot be used without a skill slot, so it's more like he gets a 50% damage boost. Variants do exist in the form of a Revolver for Gunners and a Dagger for Thieves, but those weapon types aren't restricted. This trope is somewhat alleviated in that you can customize your skill's inputs, but the game is rather fast paced and you have quite a number of skills to remember along with only being able to mark up to 10 skills' cooldowns. Have fun using the manual input for Raging Dragon Slash 4+ times and making sure you aim it in the right direction each time!
- Quick Melee: While all characters can change weapons in dungeons, he has less of a cooldown before being able to do so again and obtains a buff during this cooldown period. He also creates an afterimage that attacks the enemy whenever he switches weapons and switching weapons transfers some of the original weapon's enhancements (ie. reinforce, refine, etc) to the new weapon for a set amount of time, meaning that he doesn't have to spend all his time and money to enhance 2 seperate weapons.
- The Power of Blood: Not nearly to the same degree as the Berserker, but a number of his skills cause a Bleed effect on the enemy when he's equipped with a katana and and his attacks cause a special kind of Bleed effect called "Signature Wound" that causes a damaging blood explosion if he can stack enough of them on the enemy quickly enough.
- Throwing Your Sword Always Works: One of his 2nd Awakening skills, Omnislay: Shooting Star, consists of him quickly leaping offscreen and raining 40+ swords in a targetted area before landing with a damaging shockwave. Season 2 update added the ability to throw additional Thunder Swords in the target area that deal increased damage and momentarily hold the enemies hit by them, preventing them from escaping the rain of swords.
Ths Soul Bender is a slayer that controls demonic energies in his arm. He wears cloth armor and wields a katana to better utilize his powers. He can imbue his weapon with dark energy and summon demons which cause a variety of effects in the area around them.
His Awakening is the Soul Reaper. The Soul Reaper uses his nightmares to better control his demonic powers and can summon Blache, the god of violence, to consume his enemies.
His 2nd Awakening is the Dark Lord. The Dark Lord can infuse his demons into others, including himself, and can summon Zieg, the first Soul Bender.
- Badass Bookworm: The Soul Bender learns how to manipulate the dark energies within him by studying the nature of his demon parasites.
- Casting a Shadow: Practically all of his attacks are of the dark element, with the exceptions being ''Ice Saya'' and ''Ice Saya Crystal''.
- Death from Above: Tombstone rains down numerous tombstones from the sky strike monsters around the Soul Bender.
- Flash Step: Phantasmal Slayer causes the Soul Bender to instantly perform a screenwide slash, invoking Single-Stroke Battle as the Soul Bender and everything hit freezes for a moment before the slash actually hits.
- Instant Runes: His demon summons create auras around them in an oval area.
- Intangibility: Can maintain this briefly while dashing during his skill, Ghost Step. Note that he will only be intangible against enemy attacks, environment and obstacles will still block him.
- Puppet Fighter: Summoning Zieg turns the Soul Bender into one temporarily: he will mimic your attacks with his own, stronger equivalents and when he runs out of time, he's Dragged Off to Hell and any enemy close to him with low enough HP is dragged in with him and instantly killed.
- Sliding Scale of Free Will vs. Fate: Played with, rather than giving into to Kazan, the Soul Bender ends up overpowering him and manages to bring more Demons under his control. This will work against him in the long run as his demons heavily resent him for enslaving them and it is implied that they will lead to his eventual demise.
- Zieg, the first soul bender died due to this. Although later in the advancement to Dark Lord, it's revealed he wasn't killed, but instead turned into an immensely powerful demon. Summoning him is considered the strongest move in your arsenal.
- Status Buff: Uses his demons to generate areas that will buff allies or debuff enemies within them.
- Sword Beam: Summoning Kalla allows the Soul Bender to fire projectiles with his standard attacks.
- Weaksauce Weakness: Fares even worse against Light-element attacks than the standard Slayer, with -30 base Light resistance.
- You Will Not Evade Me: Phantom Sword Slash, it creates a whip like motion with the Soul Bender's sword to drag enemies over to him. This is useful for maintaining enemies in his debuff areas.
The Berserker gives in to his Demonic Possession, which in turn gives him power to a wide range of vicious attacks. He wears heavy armor and uses a zanbato. The Berserker uses blood-based skills that use his HP rather than his MP, but can replenish their health by killing enemies.
His Awakening is the Hell Bringer. The Hell Bringer gives into his bloodlust for more power and gains the ability to use the blood of his enemies as a weapon.
His 2nd Awakening is the Blood Evil. The Blood Evil is even more effective at infusing the power of blood into his attacks and can destroy their enemies with a vicious explosive vortex of blood.
- The Berserker: Of Course
- Blood Lust: His First Awakening Passive, Blood Memory, increases his strength and accuracy based off the number of bleeding units around him.
- Bloody Murder: Can create geysers of blood to erupt under his enemies, swords of blood to explode on them or twisters of blood to suck in his enemies.
- Cast from Hit Points: One of the main features of his moveset: most of his attacks cost HP instead of MP to cast, and with some moves, he can purposefully sacrifice more of his HP than necessary, which ties in with...
- Desperation Attack: His main passive skill, Bloody Cross, greatly increases his damage and attack speed when he's at low HP. In essence, playing a Berserker is a constant juggling act between whether you think you can take another hit before dying or if you should use an effective healing skill that's only useable at low health to back off but lose the damage bonus. The Season 2 update further helps him with this by giving him a passive skill that prevents him from being healed by his allies so that he won't lose his effectiveness as well a buff that temporarily prevents his HP from dropping to 0.
- Ground-Shattering Landing: Often slams his sword onto the ground to erupt blood underneath his enemies.
- Heroic RRoD: It's heavily implied that berserkers live short but bloody lives (even compared with Soul Benders) with the length shortening for the awakenings as the power they channel will eventually become too much for their bodies.
- Life Drain: While Frenzy is active the Berserker recovers health whenever he kills enemy units.
The Asura strikes a deal with Kazan, exchanging his sight for the ability to manifest sword waves. He wears Plate Armor and wields short swords. the Asura can summon forth sword waves, gaining long ranged attacks in addition to an already effective short range.
His awakening is the Silent Eye. The Silent Eye improves his mind's eye, allowing him to predict his enemies movements and temporarily gain the ability to freely control sword waves.
His 2nd Awakening is the Indra. The Indra adds light waves to his repertoire, gaining the ability to control lightning and even summon a lightning god.
- Death-or-Glory Attack: The skills Ground Quaker, Deadly Enticer and Agni Pentacle force the Asura to remain stationary while keeping his targets close to him in order to deal maximum damage. While these skills are considered Holds that stun enemies for the duration of the movenote , whiffing them leaves the Asura in a very vulnerable state. The latter also uses up all of the Asura's Wave Manifestations, leaving him debuffed afterwards. However, if Agni Pentacle hits, expect almost every grabbed target to be slaughtered in seconds. Additionally, what the game doesn't tell you is that it is possible to cancel Ground Quaker into Deadly Enticer, which draws the stunned enemies in, and then either cancel that into Agni Pentacle to forego Enticer's normal finishing blow or detonate Enticer prematurely to cancel its stationary frames, leaving the Asura free to move. The Invisible Raging Waves armor set is even built specifically to make these skills less risky and considerably more powerful.
- Disability Super Power: The Asura is blind, although his Aura Vision negates his inability to see.
- Dub Name Change: An interesting case with his Awakening's name. It was originally called Dark Knight, but a class was later created with the same name. When Neople relaunched the global servers, the name was changed to Silent Eye.
- Handicapped Badass: Sacrificed his eyesight for more power, yet can still hold off on his own.
- Magic Knight: The tankiest of the Slayer subclasses owing to Plate Armor Mastery, while all of his attacks deal Magic damage.
- Personal Raincloud: A less-than-amusing example: one of his second Awakening skills allows him to summon a thundercloud that follows him around and repeatedly fires lightning-charged Vajras at his enemies and once it expires, it shoots out a large number of them before turning into a gigantic one itself and falling on the enemy.
- Shock and Awe: His 2nd awakening passive converts his neutral elemental attacks to light, and adds lightning effects to his fire and ice skills.
- Sword Beam: Specializes in a variety of these, including fire, ice, and by his 2nd awakening, light waves.
- The Walls Have Eyes: The 1st Awakening skill Wave Eye manifests eyes all over the top of the screen when it's about to expire, culminating in the screen breaking apart and a huge burst of damage to all enemies.
- Wave Motion Sword: It's even in his character description! As described under Sword Beam, the Asura specializes in manifesting wave energies with his sword, to the point where even his normal attacks are capable of shooting mid-ranged wave projectiles. Literally invoked with the Asura Spirit Crescent, a massive sword wave that damages and pushes back enemies. The Furious Rampage Chronicle set focuses on further enhancing the strength and size of this move, and when combined with the Void Sura King Unique shortsword, makes it almost as high as the screen and 1/3rd of the screen in width: despite its relative lack of power, this equipment can be extremely useful when you need to stunlock large number of enemies at the same time, such as during the Anton Raid's Naval Cannon Defense.
A Slayer subclass that fights with a demonic familiar aiding him in battle.
His 1st Awakening is the Yaksha, and his 2nd Awakening is the Rakshasa.
He was unveiled at DnF Festival 2018, and his gameplay trailer can be found here.
- Animation Bump: After more than a decade, this class finally brings new animation frames for the male Slayer base class.
- Flash Step: Some of his attacks use this, in a similar fashion to the Weapon Master.
- Doppelgänger Attack: Much like the Kunoichi, he can cancel his attack and have his familiar finish it for him.
- Spear Counterpart: To the Demon Slayer, who also has a demonic familiar (although in her case, it's Powers via Possession).
- Theme Naming: Much like the Asura, his Awakening class names are taken directly from Hindu mythology.
- Vocal Evolution: Unless he has a different voice actor altogether, he sounds entirely different from the other four Slayer subclasses, having a deeper voice that more closely resembles the Dark Knight's voice.
The Fighter is a warrior who trains in the art of martial arts combat. She travels to Arad to seek newfound strength.
Like the Slayer, the fighter is also a close range fighter. However, she prefers to fight with her fists rather than with other weapons. She sacrifices some of the defense that Slayers have and normally has to get up closer to her enemies, but she strikes and moves faster.
Possible subclasses include: Striker, Nen Master, Brawler and Grappler
Tropes associated with the Fighter:
- Amazonian Beauty: Visibly has muscles, as well as buffer arms and legs compared to the other female character classes. Her sprites are similar to her art in this regard, although an update in April 2015 of the Korean version slimmed her model down a notch or two.◊
- Boobs of Steel: The most physical female character class around, especially the other close combat females all use magic to some degree once they update their classes, while the F. Fighter, even in her Nen Master class, will always rely on her fists for battle.
- Image Song: Belief
- Shoto Clone: The Fighter has access to many moves from Street Fighter, not the least of which includes an uppercut, a fireball (Nen Shot) and a hurricane kick. Her Grappler subclass isn't so far removed from Zangief, either.
The Striker hones her body into a living weapon, focusing on on striking enemies with her fists and legs. Her short range is offset by her incredible speed and resilience. She wears Light Armor and is the only fighter who has access to Boxing Gloves
Her Awakening is The Champion, who can increase her Damage based off the distance she runs and can gather roomfuls of enemies into The World's Greatest Low Kick.
Her 2nd Awakening is the Kaiser. The Kaiser can break the natural limits of her body, even fast enough to break through the sound barrier.
- Charles Atlas Superpower: She uses no Nen Energy or tricks up her sleeve, only her physical body to fight.
- Humans Are Special: From the Dungeon Fighter Online wiki, under "Awakening as a Champion":"How much do you know about humans?Humans lack in ability to learn, and continuously repeat their mistakes. They are greedy and cannot cooperate with each other, and much too weak to ever master magic. They easily become lazy if they do not have an incentive to work. They are careless and offensive, and are always putting their entire race in danger. Does that suggest then that humans, given all they lack in ability and potential, are of no threat and should be ignored?In spite of their faults, the human ability to grow and adapt, to become stronger and evolve is a strength they were blessed with from God. This quality in humans is so strong that one might even think God bestowed them with so many faults, merely to provide balance for their superior drive.When a human pushes themselves to build muscle, to gain conditioning, or to learn any art, their movements become too quick to be seen, their fists and mind become as powerful as any weapon or magic spell. Still, you may mistakenly take them for granted with all of the faults you know about them. You may remember that they are the lazy, careless vagrant you have seen laying in the streets beforeHowever, should you ever meet one in combat, with eyes burning bright with rage and sweat glistening from their brow like the exhaust of a heavy engine, use cautionWithin the heart of that human may lay the chaotic power of destruction that only exists otherwise in outer space."-Excerpt from The Dark Elves Study on Humans
- Lightning Bruiser: She's a fairly fast, mobile character and does one of largest amounts of burst damage in the game.
- Shoryuken: Rising Fist, the striker performs an upercut that launches herself and her opponents upward.
- Speed Blitz: Lightning Dance, causes her to quickly dash between enemies, striking them rapidly.
The Nen Master utilizes the forces of Nen as a weapon for her and her allies. She can empower her party with various buffs and her attacks possess a large amount of range, allow her to attack farther than the other Fighters. She wears Cloth Armor to better channel her Nen and uses either Tonfas or Knuckles.
Her Awakening is the Blazing Flower. The Blazing Flower becomes attuned to the power of Nen as such that it naturally protects her and can manifest itself as destructive Nen Flowers.
Her 2nd Awakening is the Nen Empress. The Nen Empress learns to concentrate her Nen in order to perform devastating attacks.
- Anime Chinese Girl: Has the look, especially in her 2nd Awakening portait.
- Deflector Shields: Nen Guard, it creates a temporary bubble that protects her party and herself from harm. Ultimate Nen Guard takes this Up to Eleven by creating an even larger bubble and healing allies inside when the bubble is struck by enemies.
- Doppelgänger Attack:
- Doppleganger Blast summons a wall of Dopplegangers made of Nen that explode on contact with enemies.
- Saint Illusion fires off a barrage of Doppelgangers forward before the Nen Master charges forward herself.
- Flower Motifs: Her First Awakening active, Nen Flower, summons buds of Nen energy around her. After she uses multiple nen attacks on the buds they will fully bloom which can then explode, damaging enemies around them. Her First Awakening Passive, Floating Nen Flowers, gives her a passive shield that will negate the damage of the first attack she receives and will give her speed and intelligence buff while the shield is down.
- Ki Manipulation: Nen is essentially Ki.
- Energy Ball: Nen Shot. Her second Awakening active, Brillian Nen, takes his Up to Eleven: she jumps high into the air, charges up a huge sphere of energy and throws it down, causing a massive explosion and hitting every enemy in the room.
- Kamehame Hadoken: Nen Cannon, a charged Nen Shot. Her second Awakening skill, Nen Implosion, fires out a massive beam that would make Goku proud.
- Light 'em Up: Her attacks are all of the light element.
- Make Me Wanna Shout: Lion's Roar and Lion's Grand Roar
- Orbiting Particle Shield: Spiral Nen creates Nen particles that orbit around the Nen Master and damage nearby enemies.
- Tiger Versus Dragon: The Dragon to the Male Nen Master's Tiger. This is especially evident through her skill Raging Light Dragon, where she channels nen energy in the form of a dragon to coil around her enemies.
The Brawler exploits every single tactic she can in order to win, from kicking sand in the eyes, to applying poison to her weapons. There is no tactic she will not resort to in order to come out victorious. She uses Heavy Armor and wields Claws.
Her Awakening is the Hellcat. The Hellcat has become so accustomed to using poison, not only is she immune, but her very blood is poison.
Her 2nd Awakening is the Black Widow. the Black Widow's mastery of poison is so refined, that it's become its own kung-fu style.
- A Handful for an Eye: Throwing sand into her opponents' eyes is one of her earliest skills.
- Combat Pragmatist: Her method of attacking is all about stacking Status Ailments on enemies.
- Crutch Character: Of sorts. While her various status effects may work wonders in the early levels, they become less and less efficient as the dungeons get harder and enemies begin to be able resist them more and more. There does exist various equipment to deal with this, but such items are usually rather rare and/or expensive, and even then monsters can still evade her debuffs.
- Everything's Better with Spinning/ Spin Attack: Her skill, Junk Spin causes her to spin into tornado, shooting out random garbage from her (Don't Ask)
- Girliness Upgrade: In her 1st awakening art she has a Lad-ette appearance, but in her 2nd awakening she overall looks more feminine.
- I Shall Taunt You: Taunt debuffs enemies in an area around the Brawler, decreasing their accuracy and making them more vulnerable to her Status Ailments
- No-Holds-Barred Beatdown/ Kick Them While They Are Down: Her skill, Mount, allows her to, well, mount on top of a fallen enemy to beat the living snot out of them. A passive skill that upgrades Mount, Raging Vulcan, takes this Up to Eleven by adding a shockwave effect to each hit, damaging enemies nearby
- Poisonous Person: Many of her skills are poison themed.
- Acquired Poison Immunity: Reduces damage taken from poisoning by half. After her First Awakening she becomes completely immune to poisoning and her blood itself becomes poisonous.
- Poisoned Weapon: She can buff her claws, adding a poison effect to them. In addition she can set off mines filled with poison.
- Technicolor Toxin: All her poison has a purple/magenta color.
- You Will Not Evade Me: Heaven's Net, the Brawler throws out an Inescapable Net to snare enemies then rakes them back in towards her.
The Grappler specializes in exploiting her opponent's leverage and weight by using grabs and throws. Not only does this give her many defensive counterattacks, but also makes her an asset in parties by holding down enemies. She can toss enemies around in the air or repeatedly slam them into the ground to create powerful shockwaves.
Her Awakening is the Dervish. The Dervish is so advanced at grappling, she can even gather her foes into a twister.
Her 2nd Awakening is the Ultimate Diva. The Ultimate Diva incorporates spins into her grabs, allowing them to be more devastating on impact.
- Anti-Frustration Features: Grab Cannon allows the Grappler to apply her throw's damage and a "Super Hold" to unthrowable enemies, keeping her from being completely useless against most giant (or otherwise unthrowable) bosses.
- Boring, but Practical: In party-oriented End-Game Dungeons such as Otherverse or Anton, the Grappler's biggest offense is their ability to be a 'Grab Slave'. Using skills such as 'Fling' or 'Giant Twister', the Grappler can hold one or more enemies in place for several seconds, completely vulnerable. This allows their party members to go to town at the helpless enemy.
- Charles Atlas Superpower: She uses no Nen Energy or tricks up her sleeve, only her physical body to fight.
- Chunky Updraft: Ultimate Diva has this as her class-specific cosmetic feature.
- Difficult, but Awesome: Unlike most of female Fighter's subclasses, she can be much harder to play competently: while performing most of the grabs while running increases their range by a lot, the actual hitbox of the grabs is often relatively small and it can be easy to miss them completely, wasting your MP and missing out all the damage the grab would've done to the enemies and with the exception of her midair grabs, putting the grab on a cooldown: hell, she's the only character in the game who has Awakenings that can fail to activate completely if there's no-one for her to grab and even if you manage to land most of your grabs, you'll often find yourself low on MP. However, if you DO find reliable methods to ensure that her grabs connect, she often deals massive damage to the enemy and she can easily stunlock her enemies without them being able to retaliate at all.
- Grievous Harm with a Body: A lot of her skills involve throwing her opponents into each other.
- Ground-Shattering Landing: Can pull this off with Wild Cannon Spike, which causes her to quickly rush downwards while jumping, gathering up all enemies she comes in contact with and then punching the ground hard enough to cause rocky spire to rise up from the ground, followed by it exploding, complete with Pre-Explosion Glow.
- Human Hammer-Throw: Giant Swing.
- Mighty Glacier: Can counter most attacks, break enemy super armor, and leave monsters wide open for their teammates, but has a hard time ranking high in dungeons because most of her grapples are too slow to build high scoring combos.
- Spinning Piledriver: Spiral, the Grappler turns 360 to grab all enemies surrounding her, then jumps up and slams them all into the ground. Her 2nd Awakening ultimate move, Hurricane Superplex, takes this Up to Eleven, uppercutting the enemy high into the sky and then slamming them down for a massive shockwave that stuns the target on top of the damage done by the move.
- Suplex Finisher: Has a variety to choose from.
- Tornado Move: Her First Awakening Active, Giant Twister, transforms the Grappler into a spinning typhoon that picks up all enemies around her before leaping high into the air and punching the ground to cause a massive shockwave.
- Wrestler in All of Us: Many of her grabs resemble wrestling moves and her awakening art is styled after a professional wrestler.
- You Are Already Dead: Torbellino is a a wrestling-based variant of this: she grabs an enemy, disappears, essentially performs a Speed Blitz version of repeated pressure point strikes and bone breakers and once she reappears, the enemy is hit by multiple damaging explosions.
The Gunner hails from the world of Empyrean, a world where magic was banned. To make up for the lack of magic, the Empyreans mastered technology. As such, the Gunner specializes in mid to long range combat, preferring to play keep away from his enemies while he unloads his bullets into them.
Possible subclasses include: Ranger, Launcher, Mechanic and Spitfire
- Badass Fingersnap: His casting animation.
- Bishounen: Compared to most of the males, he certainly fits.
- Bottomless Magazines: He never reloads unless he is in idle stance.
- Gratuitous English: While every class has this to some extent in the non-English versions of the game, both Gunner classes have nothing but this trope for all of their lines.
- Gratuitous Spanish: Says "Adios" when Punisher is used.
- Guns Akimbo: Always wields two guns, no matter what kind he equips.
- Image Song: Nothing to Lose
- Nonuniform Uniform: Compared to most subclasses in the game that have their own unique canon outfits, the male Gunner's are closer to this: all of his outfits are basically fancier customized variants of his basic outfit, with Desperado's outfit being worn down, ridden with bulletholes and includes a cowboy hat, Wrecking Ball only wearing one of the sleeves and a headset, Machinist having tied the coat to his waist and General being the only one with the entire outfit worn normally with an added shoulder pad.
- Pistol-Whipping: His basic attacks have him draw out his gun to hit his opponents before shooting
- Slide Attack: His basic dash attack.
- Trapped in Another World: Fell from Empyrean to Arad.
The Ranger combines expert sharpshooting with close range kicks in order to unleash a flurry of death. This gives them more combo potential and gives opportunities to defend themselves at an otherwise vulnerable range. They wear Leather Armor and wield Revolvers.
His Awakening is the Desperado. The Desperado is such an ace at shooting that anyone he shoots is marked for death.
His 2nd Awakening is the Raven. The Raven improves his shooting abilities to the point that his aim is uncanny and his speed unmatched.
- Animal Motifs: Ravens in his Second Awakening.
- Boom, Headshot!: His skills, Headshot, MultiHeadshot, and Ultimate MultiHeadshot.
- As a Raven, he gets a skill that turns the finishing shot in his normal attack into a headshot.
- Critical Hit Class: Death By Revolver improves the damage dealt by critical hits, a stat that is normally very hard to increase.
- The Gunslinger: Of the Quick Draw and Gun Fu kind.
- Magikarp Power: Requires tons of Critical Hit boosting gear to fully utilize Death By Revolver, and also requires a highly-reinforced weapon, but once he gets geared he can dish it out and then some.
- Marked to Die: His buff skill Death by Revolver does this to enemies he shoots, leaving a skull mark over their heads that increases critical hit chance.
- No Shirt, Long Jacket: His Second Awakening portrait
- Oral Fixation: Has a cigarette in his mouth as part of his subclass cosmetic feature.
- Precision-Guided Boomerang: Death Hawk not only that, but a boomerang made of two revolvers!
- Revolvers Are Just Better: Can specialize in using these.
The Launcher specializes in Heavy Weaponry. While slower and more unwieldy than regular guns, a Launcher's heavy weapons have massive range and equally impressive firepower. He wears Heavy Armor and wields Hand Cannons.
His awakening is the Wrecking Ball. The Wrecking Ball has access to a special satellite, equipped with navigation systems to pinpoint his enemies, and a giant laser weapon that the Wrecking Ball can call down upon his enemies.
His 2nd Awakening is the Destroyer. The Destroyer boasts both improved strength for better weapon handling, and altered weaponry, with more firepower. They also gain new weapons to utilize, including the devastating Buster Beam.
- Alpha Strike: Concentrated Fire is a buff skill that lets him fire all of his weapons in rapid succession, ignoring Law of Inverse Recoil, allowing skills to charge instantly, but prevents movement during his flamethrower attacks
- Attack! Attack! Attack!: Heavy Firearm Mastery passively rewards him for consecutively attacking with fire arms by stacking on a damage buff every time he pulls out a different weapon, capping up to 4 times.
- BFG: Can utilize a variety.
- Death from Above: Gains the ability to call in a Quantum Bomb on his targets, and eventually a gigantic tremor-generating machine. Also how Satellite Beam operates.
- Hammerspace: Carries enough heat to make a supernova look cold.
- Kill Sat: His first Awakening active, Satellite Beam, calls down a laser on his enemies.
- Multi-Ranged Master
- Frickin' Laser Beams: Laser Rifle, which can be charged to fire off an even wider and more powerful laser.
- Second Awakening gives the Launcher the Buster Beam, which used to be a combination of Beam Spam and Awesome, but Impractical before the skill was streamlined. The reason for its impracticality is that the damage is spread over a large area with no real way to control it and the final part of the move only hits in a small area: the new version of the move gathers all enemies in a single spot before blasting them with a more concentrated beam.
- Gatling Good: M-137 Gatling Gun, it can fire off more shots the faster you tap the skill key.
- Grenade Launcher: FM-31 Grenade Launcher
- Recursive Ammo: The FM-92 Stinger shoots a projectile into the air that splits itself into four bombs before landing on the ground and demolishing everything in the kill zone. FM-92 SW Stinger, continues the trend, but instead homes in on the target(s)
- Sucking-In Lines: His X-1 Extruder does this, creating a large vortex of energy that sucks in not only lines, but enemies as well before firing the condensed energy into one big bang.
- Video Game Flamethrowers Suck: Downplayed. M-3 Flamethrower has extremely short range, but is deceptively powerful, and Flame Pillar averts this entirely.
- Frickin' Laser Beams: Laser Rifle, which can be charged to fire off an even wider and more powerful laser.
- Odd Name Out: The launchers "skills" (see BFG above tend to have official-sounding names. FM-31 Grenade Launcher, FM-92 Stinger, M-127 Gatling, etc. However, his longer, more powerful flamethrower is simply named Flame Pillar
- Pistol-Whipping: "Sub Weapon Crusher" allows the Launcher to strike and knock back enemies with the sub weapon he's pulling out.
- Stat Stick: The Hand Cannon he equips only serves to boost the power of his subweapons. Most launchers rarely use these in combat.
The Mechanic focuses on building an army of robots in order to defeat his enemies. These robots tend to be short lived, but deal devastating damage, especially with the explosion that ensues after fulfilling their purpose. They wear Cloth Armor and wield autoguns.
His Awakening is the Machinist. The Machinist inherits the will of the Seven Meisters who pioneered Empyrean technology, with the ability to call forth Gaebolg, their final creation.
his 2nd Awakening is the Prime. The Prime gains the help of two robots to help him construct his robots. He also researches into dimensional technology, allowing him to harness the strength of new robots.
- Action Bomb: Many of his robots. His emphasis on this sets him apart from his Distaff Counterpart
- Attack Drone: The G-series robots. Although they aren't as powerful as they are in the hands of their Distaff Counterpart
- Death from Above: Mech Drop calls down air support to rain down robots on enemies which then explode.
- Invisibility: Camouflage casts a cloaking device over himself and his allies, giving them a window of opportunity to get the drop on monsters.
- Kill It with Fire: Focuses primarily on Fire Damage. Firebolt converts his otherwise light-based attacks to fire
- Mecha-Mooks: Summons robots as a means of offense. Tends to focus more on directing his robots to explode on enemies compared to the female Mechanic
- His Second Awakening Active Hell March, opens a portal where an army of robot soldiers march out of, trampling anything in their path before stopping to give a Military Salute, and then blowing up.
- Punched Across the Room: His First Awakening Active, Gaebolg Punch, creates a portal that summons a large mecha fist to slam into his opponents, dealing heavy damage.
- The Turret Master: Can install turrets, EX-S Viper and EX-S Viper Zero to fire off at enemies.
The Spitfire is a Gunner who has harnessed the innate magical properties of Nen that originates from Arad. By infusing magic into his arsenal, the Spitfire covers all bases and is a master of elemental weakness.
His Awakening is the General. The General's magic bullets have increased potency. He can also call in the Black Rose Special Forces to provide backup fire.
His 2nd Awakening is the Marshal. The Marshal can call in artillery provide supporting fire, and use experimental weaponry, such as the Supernova bomb.
- Crosshair Aware: Can call a sniper to shoot enemies through the skill, Neil the Sniper, which allows the player to manually aim at enemies through a controllable cross-hair.
- Colonel Badass: His First and Second Awakening titles, General and Marshal, imply that he is a Military Leader of some sort.
- Amazon Brigade: His First Awakening active, Special Forces Black Roses, allows him to summon an all female squad of gunmen to fire off at his enemies.
- Elemental Powers: Can apply light, ice, or fire properties to a number of bullets and in addition can equip neutral, lightning, and freezing grenades. He also has access to the skill, Napalm, which is a fire based nuke that creates an area which does damage over time to enemies within it.
- Gratuitous Spanish: In Nexon DFO when all the characters spokes English, he shouts "Hasta la vista!" when using C4 Remote Control.
- Grenade Spam: Not to the extent of Female Spitfires, but Male Spitfires still use grenades as part of their kit.
- Land Mine Goes "Click!": Averted, Flash Mine and M61 Mine set off the moment enemies step on them.
- More Dakka: Spitfire gets exclusive passive mastery skills for Muskets and Bowguns, drastically increasing the attack speed and firing rate of both weapons. The Male Spitfire also has passives that focus more bullets.
- The Strategist: Implied, the Spitfire has an access to a variety of different bullets and grenades that will deal more damage based on the type of enemy they hit (ex. Silver Bullets do more damage to demon, spirit, and undead type monsters while Fire Bullets do more damage to plant, insect, and building type enemies). In addition the Spitfire can set down mines and attach explosives onto enemies, allowing him to lure enemies into traps or zone them in PVP.
- Unskilled Yet Strong: Likely the reason why they are among the subclasses with the highest difficulty rating. They lack a lot of utility, mobility, range, and durability. Their skill set is strong enough to get them through the early and mid portions of the game, but a spitfire player can't afford to make any mistakes in the more difficult and advanced dungeons, and has to be able to make the most out of their overly simplistic playstyle.
A girl from Pandemonium, a dying world in which the Apostles dwell and few others remain. While attempting to traverse New York City, the Mage collapses from exhaustion, but is saved and nursed back to health by a good samaritan, who has dedicated herself to rescuing lost souls and keeping them safe. When the woman mentions a way to save Pandemonium, the Mage's interest is piqued, and she declares that she will do whatever it takes to save her world. Via the use of a one-way magic portal, the Mage is whisked off to the world of Arad.
The Mage takes cues from many typical mages found in other RPGs, bearing the traits of a Squishy Wizard whose magical prowess is matched by few others. Although her combat style may change to adapt to her subclass, magic remains the fundamental power at her core.
A Mage can advance to become a Elementalist, Summoner, Battle Mage, and Witch.
- Badass Adorable: A little Child Mage that can kick as much ass as any other of the player characters.
- Combo Breaker: Phase Shift allows the mage to teleport away while in hitstun, although this is only possible every 20 seconds at best. Using it leaves behind a straw dummy, which she can then pick up for a temporary speed boost.
- Glass Cannon: Can barely take hits.
- Image Song: Journey
- The Klutz: If you miss with her dashing attack, she will fall, this however is removed entirely if you advance as a Battle Mage.
- Our Elves Are Better: Subverted, in spite of looking like a Elf, she is considered a Pandemonian, who are a separate species from Elves.
- Token Mini-Moe: Aside from the Creator, she is the only little girl of the cast.
- Trapped in Another World: Trapped in Arad from Pandemonium, although she came out of her own decision.
- Pointy Ears: Like many Pandemonian characters — they're apparently distinct from the "true" elves of Arad, but more hasn't really been said.
- Projectile Spell: Magic Missile, throws out a star shaped missile that can be spammed.
The Elementalist is a Mage who has specialized solely in the art of controlling the elements, thus gaining mastery over them. What she lacks in options, she makes up for in pure magical strength.
Her Awakening is the Archmage. The Archmage's studies into magic have enlightened her on why magic exists, which allows her to call forth a storm of elements from the astral.
Her second awakening is the Overmind. The Overmind has awakened the true potential of her magic and can call forth the Sixth Element to annihilate her foes.
- Charged Attack: Can charge her spells beyond their required cast time for greater strength
- Colony Drop: Summons fiery meteors in the shape of Jack-O'-Lantern. Her First Awakening active, Astral Storm, takes it Upto Eleven by summoning a barrage of meteors from all four elements to rain down on her opponents.
- Elemental Powers: All of her attacks are of at least one of the four elements.
- Fireballs: in the shape of a Jack-O'-Lantern
- Unrealistic Black Hole: Can create these to gather up enemies for her other spells.
The Summoner is a Mage whose specialty is, of course, Summon Magic. By calling forth the spirits of creatures from all across Arad, she can build up a veritable legion of friendly monsters at her beck and call while supporting them from the sidelines.
Her Awakening is the Lunar Princess. The Lunar Princess enhances her bond with her summons and can summon Kasijas, the 4th Apostle to aid them in combat.
Her second awakening is the Eclipse. The Eclipse imbues her summons with the power of the Eclipse and can summon horrifying creatures from the moon known as "Devourers" to fight for them.
- Artificial Stupidity: Mark The Target! exists to avoid this; without a designated enemy, your summons generally just take their own sweet time wandering around while beating up whatever they fancy. Giving them something to focus on makes them a far more lethal threat.
- The Beastmaster
- Boring, but Practical: The summoner can clear dungeons with relative ease by sending her minions out onto the front lines, and buffing/dispelling them when needed....and that's about it. Unlike some other summoning classes, she doesn't interact much with other enemies aside from marking/slowing them, while other classes such as the Necromancer still play a relatively active part in the battle. While this doesn't necessarily make her not fun, it still is boring in contrast to the other, more combo based classes.
- Cool Big Sis: Her summon Big Sis Louise! is implied to be this.
- Did We Just Have Tea with Cthulhu?: Her First Awakening active, Hired Summon: Conqueror Kasijas summons the Apostle Kasijas to fight at your side. Summoning him, however, takes a good chunk of health from the Summoner.
- Early Game Hell: The Summoner has it quite rough early on compared to other classes; she gets very few damage options and suffers from a relatively weak skill set and extremely passive playstyle, not helped by her being a Squishy Wizard and being a gigantic MP hog. However, train her up enough, and you'll get some of the game's strongest damage options and become one of the fastest single-target damage dealers in the entire game.
- Elemental Embodiment: Her spirit summons are all elementals.
- The Minion Master: Has an entire army of minions to back her up but rarely fights herself.
- Summon Magic
- Whip It Good: Can whip her summons and party members to beef up their stats.
- Zerg Rush: Depending on build she can have 7-8 1st tier spirits, 1-2 2nd tier spirits, 7 hired summons, and Kasijas all out at the same time.
The Battle Mage is a Mage specially adapted to close range battle, striking enemies with powerful staff attacks while flying across the battlefield. To make up for her naturally less-than-promising physical prowess, she gains the power to summon Chasers, orbs of magic that assist the Battle Mage by striking enemies on command.
Her Awakening is the Bellatrix. The Bellatrix is not only attuned to the rhythm of her attacks, but can transform into a Teana, an ancestor race that lived on Terra before it fractured.
Her 2nd Awakening is the Ashtarte. the Asharte utilizes evolved Chasers and can channel the power of her Teana transformation into her regular form, gaining power rivaling those of the Apostles.
- Dance Battler: Her First Awakening passive, Battle Groove, implies this, increasing her stats based on how high she racks up a combo. This is further emphasized by a passive ability that extends the time before her combo is broken and another skill which does little damage but keeps hitting the enemy periodically to maintain her combo.
- Foe-Tossing Charge: Possesses two such moves. Palm Blast is a chaser-generating skill that, when charged, can cause enemies to bounce off of walls. Meteor Dash is the upgraded version that grants Super Armor and massively launches struck enemies.
- Fragile Speedster: Can perform many fast paced, showy combos, but has subpar defense.
- Magical Girl Warrior: Is a Magic Knight in Magical Girl form.
- Pintsized Powerhouse: While the Battle Mage is among the smallest of Dungeon Fighters, she's physically the strongest of all mages(Male or Female) and her ability to combo makes her a force to be reckoned with in PVP.
- Spam Attack: Punto Wave starts as one of these before the finishing hit. Brutally effective when combined with a full load of chasers and Chaser Generator active.
- Super Mode: Her First Awakening Active Teana Transformation transforms the Battle Mage into an enhanced combat form that bears a more mature appearance and gives her access to new attacks while in that form while becoming Immune to Flinching.
- Her Second Awakening Active Apostlize reverts her back to a form closer to her original appearance and allows her to use all her abilities in that form.
- Yin-Yang Bomb: Fusion Chaser, when used with chasers of non opposing elements it simply creates an explosion when the Battle Mage strikes her opponents. When used with chasers of opposing elements however the chasers attach themselves to the enemy and create a spinning motion around one another.
The Witch is a rather unusual Mage who is famed for her unpredictability. Drawing upon the chaotic strength within Pandemonium, the Witch fashions magical contraptions to attack foes while being supported by familiars. However, the Witch's contraptions don't always turn out as planned...
Her Awakening is the Trickster. The Trickster has improved the odds of success for her magic and has created a magical contraption that utilizes all four basic elements.
Her second awakening is the Geniewiz. Gone are the failures, replaced with even more powerful jackpot successes, thanks to the power of the Lapis Philosophorum. Her familiars also become hommunculi to help operate her machines. Her studies in magic have also allowed her to learn how to create and use the Ouroboros Wheel.
- Butt-Monkey: Several of her skill sequences end with either her falling onto the ground after getting exploded on or launched across the screen.
- Cute Witch
- Epic Fail: When some skills fail, they FAIL. For instance, if Mega Drill fails, the Witch pulls a vehicle with a drill attached to the front out of thin air... and spikes it into the ground, causing it to instantly explode for minor damage.
- Inverted in that after her renewal some of her skills with the worst fails were tweaked so that when they fail they end up achieving damage even higher they would from their greatest success and in way shorter time too so you actual want them to fail then.
- Familiar: has one for each element, Pluto for dark, Florae for light, Jack Frost for ice, and Jack-O'-Lantern for fire.
- Flying Broomstick: She is the only female mage able to equip broomsticks, this also allows her to air dash when she has a broomstick equipped.
- Fun Personified: Even by Mage standards, she's more about being fun and cute and goofy than "cool" or "badass." She's still an extremely powerful character all the same.
- The Gambler: Several of her skills have a chance to have a success, a sleeper success, or a failure. For example, Lava Potion will either lay a large puddle of lava on the ground, lay a pool of lava on the ground, or just explode. Devolution Flyswatter, when it kills an enemy, has a chance to spawn either a goblin archer, a giant minotaur, or another enemy you have to kill. She eventually loses the fail chance to instead gain a "jackpot" success.
- Made of Iron: See Butt-Monkey above, the Witch takes no damage and stays perfectly intact despite having her machines explode in front of her, getting electrocuted on, or even slam herself onto the ground hard enough to create a shockwave.
- Modesty Shorts: Her Awakening cut-in shows that she's wearing a pair of black shorts under her dress.
- Spin Attack: Does this with a couple of broom attacks, becoming a flying buzzsaw or a bouncing buzzsaw.
- Status-Buff Dispel: Disenchant removes buffs from nearby enemies and slows them while buffing the Witch with additional Strength and Intellect based on how many enemies were disenchanted.
A Mage subclass that utilizes darkness-based attacks and a walking teddy bear that she commands.
Her 1st Awakening is the Black Maiden, and her 2nd Awakening is the Hecate.
She was unveiled at DnF Festival 2018, and her gameplay trailer can be found here.
- Animation Bump: Like the Demonblade, the Enchantress subclass comes with new animation frames for the base female Mage class.
- Art Shift: Unlike every other class's first Awakening cut-in, hers is not a simple static image, but a full screen animation◊ reminiscent of every other class's second Awakening cut-in. The purple drapes that appear in the cut-in also remain at the edges of the screen for the duration of the skill. So far, she's the only class in the game with this distinction.
- Casting a Shadow: What looks to be her preferred element.
- Contralto of Danger: Some of her voice clips suddenly dip in pitch.(casting Forbidden Curse) "I'll give you power... if you want..."
- Creepy Child: Her first Awakening appearance and general demeanor evoke this.
- Distaff Counterpart: To the Dimension Walker, who also uses dark element attacks and a single summon.
- Elegant Gothic Lolita: Her default appearance, if her official art and appearance in the 5th subclass anime trailer are any indication.
- Living Toys: She uses a teddy bear in battle.
- Marionette Master: Has elements of this in two skills - her first Awakening (aptly named Marionette), where she controls her Creepy Doll with puppet strings, and her revive skill Eternal Possession, which revives a downed party member by making them her puppet.
- No-Sell: One of her skills summons a bush of purple thorns for her party to hide in, making them invulnerable.
- Support Party Member: Has both group and targeted buffs like the Crusader classes and can also restore her party's mana.
- Yandere: An interview at DnF Festival 2018 revealed that her personality is like this. Her revive skill, Eternal Possession, even has a pretty stereotypical yandere line."You are mine, forever..."
The Priest is a devout holy warrior on a mission to prevent the resurrection of the demon Ozma. He fights in close range with giant weapons, able to take more punishment than other classes. That said, he can also play a support role, providing buffs and healing to his partymates.
Possible subclasses include: Crusader, Monk, Exorcist and Avenger
- Grievous Harm with a Body: One of his starting skills lets him grab an enemy and throw them face-first into other enemies.
- Image Song: Believer
- Important Haircut: In the backstory. Originally, the priest had the long hair in game and his outfit resembled a set of armor, but he went through a Retcon: his old look was briefly available as an avatar set gotten from an event reward and one of the Tower Of Despair enemies also has this appearance.
- Religious Bruiser: He is a devoted Church Militant against Ozma.
- Religion Is Magic: It is heavily implied his magic is backed by his faith, except for the Avenger class.
The "support" class of DFO, although he does have offensive skills of his own. Awakens as a Paladin.
His second awakening is the Saint. The Saint possesses attacks that combine support and offense, and can call down rays of light or a gigantic hammer to smite his foes.
- Bolt of Divine Retribution: Revenge of Light is a protective buff that retaliates at enemies who do magic damage with Lightning Bolts.
- Combat Medic: While healing and support is a Crusader's primary power, they are no slouch in combat, especially when wielding Rosaries.
- Drop the Hammer: Hammer of Repentance literally drops a hammer of light onto enemies.
- Jupiter Hammer takes this a step further by allowing the Crusader to temporarily equip a large hammer of light to enhance his atacks.
- Holy Hand Grenade: Has a lot of "Holy" magic in his skills.
- Stat Stick: Crosses don't provide much in the way of offensive stats, but they come with tons of defensive stats.
- Status Buff: Has a large variety to bestow upon his allies.
- Stone Wall: Wears Plate Armor. He can also summon giant walls of light.
The Monk is an expert in hand-to-hand combat. He can deliver a large number of blows thanks to his various punching combos. His ability to dash and sway allow him to get in and out of trouble more quickly than other classes. Awakens as a Templar (or Godhand, depending on version).
- Coat Cape: His Justice art has one of these.
- Counter Attack: Sacred Counter allows the Monk to strike forward after being hit in a readied stance.
- Difficult, but Awesome: Mastering the usage of his dash and sway abilities takes a lot of work, but doing so grants you unparalleled mobility, and makes you looks cool as a bonus.
- Doppelgänger Attack: Shadow Clone summons shadows that mimic the Monk's actions and attack alongside him.
- Extremity Extremist: The Monk puts down his weapon to go at his opponents mano a mano and only mano a mano.
- Flash Step: Ducking Dash and Sway. His 2nd Awakening attack Wrath of God works like this as well.
- Lightning Bruiser: Without his Giant Weapon weighing him down, he moves and strikes MUCH faster at the cost of much of his range.
- Rapid-Fire Fisticuffs: Machine Gun Jab and Hurricane and Roll.
- Stat Stick: Any weapon a Monk uses exists only to boost his stats, both via the actual stats on the weapon and the aura produced by Will Driver. The fact that his Weapon of Choice is totems drives this point home further.
- Totem Plant: Will Driver plants the Monk's weapon into the ground, enabling his hand-to-hand combat style in the process.
- Tornado Move: Twister of Judgement summons mini tornadoes that follow enemies and hit them, making it useful to maintain combo count while away from enemies.
His second awakening is the Draconid, who has enhanced Chakras and can utilize the Yellow Dragon for his ultimate attacks.
- An Axe to Grind: Physical Exorcists use battle axes as their main weapon.
- Boring, but Practical: One of the most powerful physical builds is built around amping up Giant Weapon Launcher, the Priest's basic uppercut skill, to insane levels due to the ability to charge it for multiple stronger hits.
- Button Mashing: Many Exorcist moves can score extra damage in this way. Shikigami Legion in particular, depending on the build, can nearly require some form of auto-fire to achieve maximum damage.
- Charged Attack: "Lurking Dragon" allows the Exorcist to charge many of his physical attacks for increased damage and defense debuffs. His first Awakening passive skill, Battle Aura, further emphasizes this by giving him a status buff that's activated by charging up his attacks long enough.
- Dragons Up the Yin Yang: His First Awakening active, Blue Dragon Hammer, which summons multiple dragons that he gathers up into a giant dragon-shaped spear that he throws into the ground, where it explodes, causing the dragons to disperse. His second Awakening, Draconic Sanctum, also involves summoning the Yellow Dragon, which either attacks the enemy repeatedly on its own inside a pentacle or involves the Exorcist using the dragon's power to create a gigantic dragon-shaped axe, which he then swings for massive damage.
- Home Run Hitter: Star in the Sky The Exorcist's previous English voice acting even yelled out "HOME RUN!" with a full charge.
- Geometric Magic: The Magic Exorcists Talismans create areas that damage enemies over time or debuff them.
- Kill It with Fire and Light 'em Up: The two main elements of Exorcists: Physical Exos use entirely fire, and Magical Exos eventually specialize in light.
- Linear Warriors, Quadratic Wizards: It is much easier to level up as a Physical Exo and it's no slouch endgame, but a fully geared Magic Exorcist's Lightning Amulet is one of the strongest abilities out there. This usually translates to getting to the desired level/gear situation with physical and then swapping to magic due to free skill resets. There's also nothing keeping either build from dabbling into the other side for utility except for the amount of SP remaining.
- Magic Knight: The New Balance update somewhat closes the gap between Physical and Magic Exorcists by lowering SP costs and allowing Conversion to apply to all Exorcist skills, allowing both exorcists to spec into the other side to a greater degree.
- Mighty Glacier: Physical Exorcists hit like a truck but are among the slowest of Dungeon Fighters.
- Paper Talisman: Utilized by Magic Exorcists.
- Spin Attack: Spinning Cross, which allows the Exorcist to move around while swinging his weapon around him.
- Throwing Your Weapon Always Works: Crucifix Wind is a physical Exorcist skill that involves throwing his giant weapon forward, creating a spinning weapon in front of him.
One of Ozma's most feared powers is the ability to transform even the most pious man into a twisted, demonic version of themselves. Known as the Imposters, these monsters are almost completely mindless, bound utterly to Ozma's will and their past selves completely stripped from them. However, in recent times the Priests have discovered a way to reverse the process, thus allowing them to return Imposters to their original selves. However, while the saved person regains their sanity, they are forever altered by Ozma's touch, granting them a portion of his dark power. Calling themselves Avengers, these Priests are generally given an arm's length from the church, but none can deny their piety and their determination to combat evil. Awakens as a Doom Guardian.
His second awakening is the Immortal, which comes with an improved Devil Strike passives and abilities that utilize brief transformations into his demon form.
- Casting a Shadow: Most of his attacks are of the dark element. More to this point, this is also the base concept behind his Devil Strike skill: during any of his Avenger-exclusive moves, you can press any of the 3 basic action buttons to summon an illusionary demon that attacks the enemy with various claw swipes at a cost of some of the demon gauge.
- Cast from Hit Points: Painful Rapture, while technically one of the skills available to all priests, is specialized for Avengers: they get a skill that decreases the HP consumed and increases the MP recovered and by default, using the skill fills their unique demon gauge by a large amount, allowing the skill to almost max it out in 3 or 4 uses when mastered.
- Combat Tentacles: One of his skills summons a spiked set of these that then proceed to stab into and violently tear apart the enemies when they retract afterwards.
- Dark Is Not Evil: Still serves the church in spite of having Ozma's demonic powers.
- Giant Hands of Doom: Has 3 different variants: Furious Grab, which summons a single large demon hand that deals damage and has a chance to immobilize the enemy and which can be used by all Priest classes, Demon Clutch which is a pair of demonic arms that grab and crush the enemy for massive damage and Execution, which is described below
- Grievous Harm with a Body: Execution, which manifests a giant demonic hand which the Avenger uses to grab his enemy, slam them behind him over his head, drag them along the ground and finally throw them high into the air. It can only be used during Metamorphosis or Demonize, with the former version omitting the dragging portion of the move and returning the Avenger to normal after it's finished.
- Last Chance Hit Point: If the Avenger runs out of HP during Demonize, they instantly transform back to normal with only 1 HP left.
- One-Winged Angel: The Avenger's First Awakening Active, Demonize, transforms the Avenger into a powerful demon that has access to its own abilities and different, stronger variants of all of Avenger's skills. He can also go halfway with ''Metamorphosis' when his devil gauge is at least halfway full, giving him powerful clawing attacks instead of using his weapon and the ability to use Devil Strike without restrictions.
- Rolling Attack: Spinning Deformation transforms the Avenger into a spinning saw blade. The demon form performs a quick charging slash that hits any enemies caught in it repeatedly instead.
- Sinister Scythe: Equips scythes.
- Spam Attack: Shadow Render is a rapid combo of 7 scythe swings, each of which heal a preset amount of HP per swing per enemy hit, allowing the Avenger to quickly heal themselves if they use it on a large group of enemies. In demon form, he instead performs rapid clawing attacks with the same effect. Taken Up to Eleven with his second awakening active, Unholy Fury, which is an extended claw slashing combo in demon form, ending in a massive double claw slash.
- Spikes of Doom: Thorn of Protection projects a mass of black spikes from his upper body that hit all enemies around him. The demon form creates even larger spikes that can break super armor and hit twice.
- Super Mode: Metamorphosis transforms the Avenger a half-demon that gives him a noticeable boost in speed and power whileDemonize fully transforms the Avenger into a powerful demon that makes him Immune to Flinching.
- Weapon of Choice: Scythes. Notable in that Avenger is the only Priest subclass to get a dedicated weapon mastery. note
These Classes were introduced as alternative gender variants of the five core classes. While the Male Fighter and Female Gunner are more or less straight Moveset Clones with variations in utility and strength compared to their base versions, successive class variations, including the Female Slayer, Male Mage, and Female Priest, deviate heavily from their base counterparts and are closer in function to unique characters altogether.
The Female Slayer is one of but few humans who survived the aftermath of the failure of the Vilmark experiment conducted by the De Los Empire known as "Metastasis". Having survived the destruction granted her the ability to harness the energy of the Metastasis itself, and this unique power was recognized by the Empire Knights, who took her and others in against their will and trained them as soldiers. However, she was then ousted by the Empire for supposed treachery, and now opposes them for revenge.
Compared to Gunners and Fighters, she plays rather differently from her male counterpart.
Possible subclasses include: Sword Master, Demon Slayer, Dark Templar, and Vagabond.
- Child Soldier: Was trained since she was a kid, unwillingly.
- Early-Bird Cameo: A Female Slayer is one of the NPCs rescued in the Village of Confinement 'dungeon' before the class itself was made playable in DFO. She also appears in the loading screen for the third part of Slote Power Plant Escape.
- These are artifacts of the fact that, in the original Korean version and most of the other Asian versions, F. Slayer was added before the Season 4 update — Nexon ended up never adding her (or the two other remaining pre-Metastasis classes), and she got put on the back burner by Neople in favor of focusing on getting things more up to date with the Korean version and adding new classes instead of a Distaff Counterpart.
- Faustian Rebellion: Was granted the power of the Metastasis through the Vilmark experiment that the De Los Empire subjugated her to and now uses that power to oppose them.
- Heroes Prefer Swords: Subverted if she equips a bludgeon.
- Image Song: It's My War Now. Global's 4th Anniversary event played a house remix of the theme during its dance parties.
- Lady of War: Compared to the male slayer, her fighting style is more graceful and flashier.
- Leitmotif: Great Beginning
- Reverse Grip
- Sliding Scale of Gameplay and Story Integration: Because of her past with the De Los Empire, she is unwilling to join the Join Investigation Group, the faction representing both Empyrean and the De Los Empire, preventing the player from selecting them.
- Zettai Ryouiki: Type A at base and similar in her subclasses mostly.
At 2nd awakening she becomes a Majesty.
- All Your Powers Combined: Elemental Eradicator summons all of the Sword Master's elemental weapons at once to hold enemies before slashing the held enemies with each weapon and finishing them off.
- Awesome, but Impractical: Dragon Mortar certainly looks impressive, and its power is no joke, but it's nigh impossible to land all of the hits against the enemies you need it to. Latency also subjects the skill to this since even if you do activate it, it sometimes won't register the hit and thus will not continue with the rest of the attack.
- BFS: Arcane Sword Blast
- Blade Spam: Swift Demon Slash and Tossing Slash, the latter which is this trope made into a grab. Also eventually acquires a skill named Imperial Swordsmanship that functions similarly to Blade Masters' Secret Sword Art, in particular, the Katana's iteration is very much this trope, but is not exactly the most powerful iteration. However, she can be...
- Boring, but Practical: If one acquires the "Magic Cataclysm" Epic shoulder armor (noted above in the Blade Master section) and specializes in using Katanas.
- Boyish Short Hair: In both of her awakening art.
- Camera Abuse: Her First Awakening skill, Ultimate Slayer Technique: Spacetime Cutter, is a triple slash that hits everything in the room and creates 3 deep jagged gashes on the screen, momentarily shattering it into pieces and briefly pulling her and her enemies into another dimension.
- Counter Attack: She has this, which can be activated upon successfully guarding an attack, in additional to already possessing Female Slayer's common reversal skill.
- Diagonal Cut: Her Second Awakening, Final Sword Laevateinn, and to a lesser degree, Swift Sword.
- Doppleganger Attack: Illusion Sword. Taken Up to Eleven if one completes the Ancient Illusion Chronicle set, allowing her to cast the skill every second, creating another illusion before the previous one even disappears.
- Elemental Powers: Can infuse her sword with fire, ice, light, or dark properties and has a passive skill that has a chance to cast an additional elemental projectile every time she connects with a hit from one of her skills: with high enough skill levels, a short sword and the Monster Ruler Chronicle set which powers up the respective passive skill, the chance to cast the skill can be increased to 100% and its cooldown can be reduced massively to a degree that if you were to stack enough boosts to the skill so that it'd hit the +10 extra skill levels cap, you could trigger it over 6.5 times per second, far more often than she could hit the enemy with any of her skills on a regular basis.
- Faustian Rebellion: Taken a step further than the other Female Slayer classes, the Sword Master uses a fencing technique that originated from the De Los Empire, known as "Blade Dance", and it is considered heresy for those who are not nobles of the De Los Empire to practice Blade Dance.
- Gratuitous French: Not spoken by her personally, but the translation of her buff is called Sentiment Du Fer Critical, which is based on a fencing term.
- Iaijutsu Practitioner: Has more of a focus on this than her other classes and Blade Master as various moves use it.
- Master Swordsman
- Multi-Melee Master: Downplayed, compared to Blade Masters, but she can wield Zanbatos, Katanas, Short Swords, or Bludgeons. Everything but a Laser Blade. She also lacks the passive ability to master all weapons simultaneously and needs to focus on a single type of weapon for maximum efficiency, with each type of weapon mastery giving bonuses to a small subset of skills.
- Named Weapons: The elemental weapons she uses have names stated in the easily-glossed-over skill description of Elemental Shift, as does the magic associated with each element, named in Magic Sword Medley
- Sword Beam: Flash
- Throwing Your Sword Always Works: Magic Sword Release, combined with a drilling motion.
At 2nd awakening she becomes a Deicide.
- Awesome, but Impractical: Before the Season 2 update. Sure, she has a Whip Sword and constantly laughs at her enemies, but before her update, she was a nightmare to use in parties: her attacks flung her enemies all over the place, making it difficult if not impossible for the other party members to get any hits in.
- BFS: Her second Awakening skills focus mainly around enlarging her Whip Sword to significant degree: Gloom Strike: Giga Slash is a massive downward slash with an enlarged sword, Inhumane Doctrine: Extremity involves skewering an enemy on it followed by Metronomic Man Mashing and Transgression Sword: Ragnarok takes it Up to Eleven with the Demon Slayer temporarily combining with Daimus, enlarging her sword so that it takes up the entire room and whipping it around, thrusting it into the ground and finishing it off by turning it into gigantic spikes that pierce all enemies.
- Blood Lust: Stated to be a side effect of her Whip Sword. Weaponized in form of Berserk, her main buff, which has the ingame description of letting Daimus take control over her body, causing her to glow red.
- Bloody Murder: Not quite to the same extent as the Berserker, but some of her skills take HP to use, most of her stronger attacks have blood-red effects (to the degree that they're changed yellow in the censored versions of the game, much like Berserker) and almost all of her attacks have a chance of making her enemies bleed.
- Doppelgänger Attack: Sanguine Choreography creates around 6 shadowy clones of her called Krongs which dash to the nearest enemy and use one of her Soaring Blades-type attacks on them.
- Dynamic Entry: If used on the ground, Sword Demon Strike allows her to make a huge leap forward which she can follow up with a slash that attaches Daimus on whoever she hits with it, who then proceeds to repeatedly slash at them.
- Evil Weapon: Her Whip Sword is composed of three demons, Phnom as the blade, Daimus as the hilt, and Kelkus to support Phnom. Unfortunately for her, at least Phnom doesn't seem to be particularily happy to be working for her and Usurper Phnom involves Phnom breaking into pieces and starting to attack her before Daimus puts him back to his place.
- Flechette Storm: Her first Awakening skill, Gloom Sword: Giga Blade starts off with Blade Spam, followed by her stabbing the Heaven Cleaver into the ground behind her, which creates a portal from which numerous Kelkuses pour out to repeatedly stab the enemy. They also attach themselves onto the Demon Slayer, briefly turning her into a demon that charges at the enemy before she steps back, turns back to normal and creates a huge explosion by slamming her enlarged Heaven Cleaver into the ground.
- Noblewoman's Laugh: Let's out an epic gale during Bleeding Blades
- Sexy Backless Outfit: Her 2nd awakening art.
- Whip Sword: Extends to Whip It Good in many of her attacks and can also use it by stabbing it into the ground and having the blade repeatedly stab enemies from below. Generally speaking, a number of her attacks that involve using her weapon in a distinctly whiplike manner are known as Soaring Blades - <action>.
Most likely the Distaff Counterpart of the Asura, although she has a few similarities with the Soul Bender as well. She pledges her allegiance to the long forgotten god of death, Usir, in exchange for her powers.Awakens as a Dark Empress.
At 2nd awakening she becomes a Nemesis.
- Beam Spam: Her Liberate - Buckshot skill allows her to lock on to and shoot multiple homing darkness-elemental laser beams at the enemies in front of her and can be used in middle of any other attack.
- Casting a Shadow: Her attacks are all of the Dark element.
- Cycle of Hurting: A large number of her moves hold her enemies in place for extended amounts of time and most of the have relatively low cooldowns, allowing other party members to finish them off with little opposition.
- Magic Knight: Utilizes swords and magic, and is the bulkiest of the Female Slayers.
- Religion Is Magic: Her powers explicitly come from her worship of Usir.
- Shadow Walker: Can sink into the shadows to move around, making her unable to attack but invincible until she reemerges.
- Your Soul Is Mine: Absorbs enemy souls through attacking and killing monsters, which she can then expend in some of her attacks.
A Female Slayer who has decided to surpress the Metatstatic energy within her, focusing only on her abilities as a sword wielder. Her abilities focus on Dual Wielding via a sub-weapon she can use with her normal attack. Possesses a Lightsaber License, granting her use of the Lightsaber class.
Awakens as a Dualist.
At 2nd awakening she becomes a Blade Dancer.
- Awesome, but Impractical: Overall, she has by far the flashiest attacks but most of her moves have long animations, easily leaving her at the mercy of her enemies if she happens to be stuck in one.
- Beam Spam: Cutting Palms involves her repeatedly shooting curving beams from her palms, as the name implies. She can also use it in midair and fan them out to hit more enemies or narrow the spread to do more damage.
- Blade Spam: Not only does her basic chain have the most hits out of any character or subclass, but she also has multiple attacks where she uses her blades to slash or stab at the enemies extremely quickly.
- Captain Ersatz: Part of her playstyle and abilities are reminiscent of a Jedi (or Sith if you prefer), a resemblance supported by her specialization with lightsabers and mastery over the force. The other part comes from Wuxia and Shonen anime.
- Everything's Better with Spinning: Her default attack has her spinning around, so does her skills, and even her awakening.
- Flower Motifs: Has some Lotus Flower imagery in several of her attacks.
- Kill It with Fire: Can manifest blasts of fire using Qi Gong.
- Ki Manipulation: Her telekinetic powers are stated to come from manipulating Qi Gong.
- Ninja Pirate Zombie Robot: A Dual Wielding, Telekinetic, Lightsaber wielding, Buddhist themed swordswoman
- Some Dexterity Required: Able to use the Balmung to its highest potential (see the Blade Master section for more info).
- Sword Plant: The finisher to Comet Rush and the beginning of her Second Awakening skill Moonlight Dance.
- You Are Already Dead: Her 2nd Awakening skill, Lotus Flash, works this way: she does several extremely quick slashes while moving forward, teleports back to her original location and swings her sword downward, at which point anything she hit with the slashes will finally take damage.
A Fighter who originates from Suju, specializing in the art of battle taught in his homeland. His style of battle, Suju fighting, focuses largely on kicking.
Much like the original Fighter, he can also become a Nen Master, Striker, Brawler, or Grappler.
- Art Evolution: His old sprite used to be much more stiff and lacking in animation frames when compared to most other characters, so he was slightly redesigned and animated better.
- Flash Step: Flash Move allows him to dash forward quickly while also giving him brief invincibility.
- Image Song: Man's Road
- Kick Chick: Gender-Inverted
- Mr. Fanservice: Pretty unsurprising for a guy who uses his body to fight; his default design is even a Walking Shirtless Scene, wearing nothing but a crop vest, giving quite a view of his muscular torso.
- Leeroy Jenkins: The personality given to the generic male fighter. Also led to him leaving the temple he trained at in his backstory.
The Male Striker shares many similarities with his female counterpart, being a fast, resilient, melee fighter. His greater emphasis on kick attacks affords him greater range than her at the cost of speed and slight attack delays. His later skills have a greater emphasis on burst damage, doing fewer hits, but with more damage at once. He wears Light Armor and is the only fighter who has access to Boxing GlovesHe awakens as the Dragon Fist.
His 2nd Awakening is the Tyrant.
- Charles Atlas Superpower: He uses no Nen Energy or tricks up his sleeve, only his physical body to fight.
- Dynamic Entry: His main source of damage is the Dragon Kick, an advancing flying kick that does massive amounts of damage to anything it hits: with the right Chronicle set and other gear that reduces cooldowns, you can practically spam it at every chance you get.
- Extremity Extremist: Almost every attacking skill exclusive to the M. Striker is a kick. Initially downplayed after his 2nd Awakening revamp which made his 2nd Awakening Active into a charged punch until it was changed to a series of flaming kicks with the charged punch changed into a regular 2nd Awakening skill. In another aversion of this, he was also given the Raid Punch passive that changes his ''Air Walk' headstomp into a diving punch with an explosion effect.
- Flash Step: Like the base Fighter, he can also use Flash Move. Season 2 update also gave him access to the Quick Step passive skill which allows him to cancel his attacks into Flash Move without putting it into cooldown at a cost of a Muscle Shift cancel as well as allowing him to use it dash backwards: with enough skill, you can gain Monk-like mobility for as long as you have Muscle Shift cancels available.
- Hurricane Kick: Flame Tornado Kick, it lifts the striker into the air as he spin kicks his opponents.
- Lightning Bruiser: He's a fairly fast, mobile character and does one of largest amounts of burst damage in the game.
- Speed Blitz: Lightning Dance, causes him to dash between enemies, kicking them all into a single spot, before he dashes to that spot to finish them off with a powerful kick.
- Walking Shirtless Scene: His Awakening portrait.
- Wreathed in Flames: His Awakening, Suju Inferno, sets his legs on fire, giving him a buff that enhances the power of all his attacks. Fire Release, a 2nd Awakening skill, can enhance this effect even further, allowing him to keep it up permanently with enough equipment that increases its duration and reduces its cooldown.
The Male Nen Master harnesses Nen with a stronger offensive penchant than his female counterpart. His skills often posesse shorter range, causing him to often stay in melee range when fighting. He wears Cloth Armor to better channel his Nen and uses either Tonfas or Knuckles. Awakens as Radiant Lion.
His 2nd Awakening is the Nen Emperor
- Animal Motifs: Tigers.
- Deflector Shields: Nen Guard, his lasts much shorter than the female version but also has a shorter cooldown and instant cast time to compensate.
- Doppelgänger Attack: Doppleganger Blast summons a wall of Dopplegangers made of Nen that explode on contact with enemies.
- Energy Ball: Nen Shot
- Kamehame Hadoken: Nen Cannon, A charged Nen Shot
- Ki Manipulation: Nen is essentially Ki.
- Light 'em Up: His attacks are all of the light element.
- Light Is Not Good: Gained his Nen abilities through forbidden means that cut into his lifespan. Does not care one bit about that "forbidden" part, although an implied Dark and Troubled Past does not help. By the time he advances into Nen Emperor, he's stated to only have 1 or 2 years of life left at best and that's only if he uses the powers granted by the advancement to siphon more lifespan for himself.
- Power Tattoo: The forbidden means are stated to come from his tattoos.
- Make Me Wanna Shout: Lion's Roar, although it only strikes in front of him in contrast to how the female version hits around her.
- Power Dyes Your Hair: Originally had brown hair in his 1st awakening portrait, in his 2nd, his hair becomes blonde.
- Orbiting Particle Shield: Spiral Nen creates Nen particles that orbit around the Nen Master and damage nearby enemies: he can then send them to temporarily assault enemies or widen their circling radius. Compared to the female Nen Master, the Male Nen Master directly manipulates his Nen particles in combat more often.
- Screaming Warrior: He lets out an impressive DBZ-esque roar during many of his Second Awakening skills.
- Tiger Versus Dragon: The Tiger to the Female Nen Master's Dragon. This is especially evident through his skill Haitai Summon, where he hurls forth a burst of nen energy in the shape of a Tiger.
Whereas the Female Brawler likes to get into the thick of the fight with her tricks, the Male Brawler prefers to hang back and throw his weapons. The Male Brawler can cover large areas with his attacks, swinging chains to knock mobs off their feet, or pulling apart ceilings to drop them onto the ground. He can also stack various status ailments from a distance, before closing in for the finishing blow. He uses Heavy Armor and wields Claws. Awakens as Rampager. (KR name Thousand Hands)
His 2nd Awakening is known as Hades.
- A Handful for an Eye: Kicking sand into his opponents' eyes is one of his earliest skills.
- Acquired Poison Immunity: Not to the point of Female Brawlers but he still takes reduced damage from poisoning.
- Chain Pain: Utilizes Chains in several of his post Awakening attacks.
- Charged Attack: An odd variant, Strengthen Throw buffs his next throw attack to be more powerful and have an additional effect. It can be cast as often as you like but the Strengthen Throw version of some skills may not be so useful depending on the situation: the Brick Throw variant described below can't hit enemies next to him and Dirty Barrel causes him to kick a single metal barrel at the enemy which does more damage but has no Area of Effect to speak of and doesn't slow down the enemy.
- Colony Drop: The Strengthen Throw version of Brick Throw somehow manages to combine three bricks into a large meteor that the Brawler jumps up to launch at his opponents. One of his 2nd Awakening skills, Cave-in also allows him to use his chains to literally collapse the ceiling on his enemies.
- Combat Pragmatist: His method of attacking is all about stacking Status Ailments on enemies. Though he seems better than his female counterpart as his usage of moves mainly involves throwing and his version of venom mine has him toss it up and kick it, blasting whatever's infront of him with a plume of poison gas.
- Everythings Betterwith Spinning/ Spin Attack: His skill, Needle Spin, turns him into a bloody tornado of needles.
- Eyepatch of Power: His 2nd Awakening's Art gives him an eyepatch.
- Impossibly Cool Weapon: His 2nd Awakening's ultimate attack has what can only be described as a bat made of a bunch of mines taped and chained together. You can actually see the thing in Hades's full art◊.
- Inescapable Net: Net Throw, the Brawler throws out a net that immobilizes enemies. Can drag enemies towards him with Strengthen Throw.
- I Shall Taunt You: Taunt debuffs enemies in an area around the Brawler, decreasing their accuracy and making them more vulnerable to his Status Ailments.
- No-Holds-Barred Beatdown/ Kick Them While They Are Down: Also has the skill Mount, but unlike his female counterpart, the Male Brawler's version of mount only hits 3 times while hitting more with each individual hit. His version of Raging Vulcan, upgrades the mount into a single charged punch with a shock wave that hits the whole screen.
- Slasher Smile: Especially pronounced in his 2nd Awakening art◊.
- Slide Attack: Ground Tackle causes the brawler to do a sliding kick on the ground while kicking up sand in the process.
- Sticky Bomb: The non-strengthened version of Dirty Barrel throws out a barrel of viscous liquid that explodes on enemies it hits and slows them.
- Technicolor Toxin: His poison attacks have a purple/magenta color.
- Whip It Good: Blood Rage Chain causes the Brawler to whip out chains in front of him quickly.
While the Female Grappler has a greater emphasis on circular motions and power slams, the Male Grappler focuses on frontal movements and pummels. He is capable of grabbing multiple enemies at once with almost all of his skills, and he often juggles between the air and ground, being able to grab them repeatedly. He awakens as the Juggernaut.
His 2nd Awakening is the Titan.
- Anti-Frustration Features: Also has Grab Cannon, although the nature of his attacks somewhat diminishes the importance.
- Boring, but Practical: Comes off as this when compared to the Female Grappler: not only does his Overwhelming Grab have much more reach than Female Grappler's Unstoppable Grab, but it also allows him to throw multiple enemies at the same time with his basic skills. In exchange, most of his basic throws consist largely of kicking the enemy away in a variety of ways or quickly pummeling them before slamming them to the ground, while the Female Grappler uses much more elaborate wrestling throws to deal with her enemies. That being said, his 2nd Awakening takes his fighting style Up to Eleven with moves that do things like a grab that gathers up enemies in a single spot before jumping off them, leaping off the wall and doing a massive diving kick that causes a huge explosion, a judo throw so powerful that it buries them halfway into the ground, followed by a fiery explosion that spits them back out and stomping the ground so hard that it creates Stepping Stones in the Sky which he rapidly leaps off of while simultaneously hitting the enemy before finally slamming them into the ground.
- Charles Atlas Superpower: He uses no Nen Energy or tricks up his sleeve, only his physical body to fight.
- Grievous Harm with a Body: A lot of his skills involve throwing his opponents into each other, also more prone to body slams than his female counterpart. Slam Kick and Rolling Spike are his main forms of this, as he can specifically aim the enem(y/ies) he initially threw with them to land closer or father depending on if you press nothing or hold up or down.
- Ground-Shattering Landing: Can pull this off with several of his moves, especially Wild Cannon Spike and the finisher for his First Awakening active, Rhythmic Assault.
- Meteor Move: Some of his "throws" involve kicking his enemies into the air then slamming them back into the ground.
- Mighty Glacier: While fairly slow he can break enemy super-armor and leave them open to attacks, although he cannot hold enemies as long as female grapplers.
- Wrestler in All of Us: Has various throws and holds and his awakening art is styled after a Judo practitioner.
The Distaff Counterpart to the gunner. Much like her male counterpart, she is also an Empyrean, and also uses guns. However, though her skillset is very similar, she usually either focuses on a different part of her skillset or has less power in her attacks but more utility.
She uses the same subclasses as her male counterpart: Ranger, Launcher, Mechanic and Spitfire
- Bottomless Magazines: She never reloads unless she is in idle stance.
- The Cameo: Out of all the characters in DFO, the female gunner has gotten the most appearances in other games outside of it, usually as a character named "Rose", who is either one specific sub-class (generally a Ranger) or can become any of her other subclasses, depending on the game. The games Rose has appeared in includes ''Cyphers Online'' (known as "J") and Elsword.
- Gratuitous English: While every class has this to some extent in the non-English versions of the game, both Gunner classes have nothing but this trope for all of their lines.
- Guns Akimbo: Always wields two guns, no matter what guns she equips.
- Image Song: The Wind Blew
- Kick Chick: Most of her melee attacks are kicks, the Ranger class gives her the most kicking skills as well.
- Pistol-Whipping: Her basic attacks have her draw out her gun to hit her opponents before shooting.
- Slide Attack: Her basic dash attack.
- Statuesque Stunner: She's about as tall as her male counterpart, but unlike his lanky build, she has a rather shapely figure.
- Trapped in Another World: Fell from Empyrean to Arad.
A master of revolvers, the Ranger is an expert in both close and ranged combat. She attaches blades and chains to her revolvers, allowing her to swing them around and slice her foes. Awakens as a Bloodia.
Her second awakening is the Crimson Rose. She further improves on the bleeding power of her skills and utilizes chains in her attacks.
- Boom, Headshot!: Her skills, Headshot, MultiHeadshot, and Ultimate MultiHeadshot.
- Chain Pain: Becomes a dedicated specialist after their 2nd Awakening
- The Gunslinger: Of the Quick Draw and Gun Fu kind.
- Guys Smash, Girls Shoot: Gender inverted, the male ranger's gameplay leans more on long-ranged combat with a handful of kicking skills while the female is more specialized in melee combat with her gunblades.
- Hidden Weapons: Her First Awakening passive, Veiled Cutter, adds a cutting effect to her kick attacks when you cancel into them, giving them a chance to bleed opponents.
- Mixand Match Weapon: Her subclass cosmetic feature attaches a blade and chain to her revolvers.
- Her Passive, Gunblade, gives her additional acrobatic attacks through the use of her gunblades when she dash attacks or double jumps.
- Precision-Guided Boomerang: Death Hawk not only that, but a boomerang made of two revolvers! With Chain Powder on, it can create a suction effect.
- Revolvers Are Just Better: Specializes in using these.
Awakens as a Demolitionist.
Her second awakening is the Storm Bringer. Similarly to the male Launcher, she gets improved subweapons and strength training. However, replacing the Destroyer's actives are a two-shot wind cannon and an Alpha Strike.
- Alpha Strike: Her second awakening active Operation Raids calls down an armor pack that sends out a barrage of laser beams, gatling rounds, grenade and missile shots, before finishing it off with a mushroom cloud explosion
- Attack! Attack! Attack!: Heavy Firearm Mastery passively rewards her for consecutively attacking with fire arms by stacking on a damage buff every time she pulls out a different weapon, capping up to 4 times.
- Beam Spam: Her First Awakening active, Ancient Trigger, summons a large laser cannon that first fires off a spray of lasers before converging into a Wave Motion Gun.
- BFG: Can utilize a variety of these.
- Blow You Away: PT-15 Prototype shoots out a powerful wind cannon blast that can help the launcher get some much needed distance from her enemies.
- Rocket Jump: Pressing the down key during the attack allows her to propel herself into the air with the blast sucking in enemies under her.
- Death from Above: Gains the ability to call in a Quantum Bomb on her targets
- Hammerspace: Carries enough heat to make a supernova look cold.
- Multi-Ranged Master
- Frickin' Laser Beams: Laser Rifle, which can be charged to fire off an even wider and more powerful laser, adding an electric spark to it when charged even longer after her second awakening.
- Gatling Good: M-137 Gatling Gun, it can fire off more shots the faster you tap the skill key.
- Grenade Launcher: FM-31 Grenade Launcher
- Recursive Ammo: The FM-92 mk2 Lancer shoots a projectile into the air that splits itself into eight bombs before landing on the ground and demolishing everything in the kill zone. FM-92 mk2 Lancer SW, continues the trend, but instead homes in on the target(s)
- Sucking-In Lines: Her X-1 Extruder does this, creating a large vortex of energy that sucks in not only lines, but enemies as well before firing the condensed energy into one big bang.
- Video Game Flamethrowers Suck: Downplayed. M-3 Flamethrower has extremely short range, but is deceptively powerful, but Flame Pillar averts this entirely.
- Odd Name Out: The launchers "skills" (see BFG above tend to have official-sounding names. FM-31 Grenade Launcher, FM-92 mk2 Lancer, M-127 Gatling, etc. However, her longer, more powerful flamethrower is simply named Flame Pillar
- Pistol-Whipping: "Sub Weapon Crusher" allows the Launcher to strike and knock back enemies with the sub weapon she's pulling out.
- Stat Stick: The Hand Cannon she equips only serves to boost the power of her subweapons. Most launchers rarely use these in combat.
- Technicolor Fire: A second awakening passive of hers, AJ Reinforced Parts causes her flamethrowers to spew blue flames if held out long enough.
Compared to her male counterpart, she focuses on the "G-Series" of mechs, a series of orbiting drones that follow the user's position and attacks for them.
Awakens as a Metalheart.
Her second awakening is the Optimus, where she gains the ability to switch between the G-Series instantly along with making them even more powerful.
- Action Bomb: Many of her robots
- Attack Drone: Her main specialty, the G-series robots.
- Death from Above: Mech Drop calls down air support to rain down robots on enemies which then explode.
- Fashionable Asymmetry: In her 'Awakened Ones' avatar set, she has one thigh-high on only one leg.
- Invisibility: Camouflage casts a cloaking device over herself and her allies, giving them a window of opportunity to get the drop on monsters.
- Light 'em Up: Focuses primarily on Light Damage, Transformation allows her to convert all her otherwise fire-based attacks to light.
- Mecha: Her First Awakening Active, G-0 Battledroid Transformation, makes the Female Mechanic lockdown on enemy targets then quickly constructs a mech to fire off at them.
- Mecha-Mooks: Summons robots as a means of offense. Focuses more on the G-Series, a series of robots that follow closely with the Mechanic and attack nearby enemies, than the Male Mechanic.
- The Turret Master: Can install turrets, EX-S Viper and EX-S Viper Zero to fire off at enemies.
Uses a variety of bullets and grenades, she has a more air friendly play style compared to her male counterpart, though is a bit slower on the ground. Awakens as a Valkyrie.
Her second awakening is the Frejya. The Frejya fights from the sky with a jetpack, increased air power, and Bottomless Magazines. In addition, she can call in her counterpart to the Crimson Rose, known as the Valkyrie Forces.
- Crosshair Aware: Can call a sniper to shoot enemies through the skill, Neil the Sniper, which allows the player to manually aim at enemies through a controllable cross-hair.
- Death from Above: What separates them from their male counterparts. While initially, it was just the ability to throw grenades in the air, their 2nd Awakening update solidifies this by giving them a Jump Jet Pack, the ability to use almost all of their skills in midair, and a 2nd Awakening passive which buffs their damage if they attack from midair.
- Elemental Powers: Can apply light, ice, or fire properties to a number of bullets and in addition can equip neutral, lightning, and freezing grenades. She also has access to the skill, Photon Bomb, which is a light based nuke that creates an area which stuns enemies within it.
- Grenade Spam: Tends to utilize grenades more than her male counterpart. Taken Up to Eleven with her 2nd Awakening buff skill that prevents her stock of grenades from dropping below 1 for a short amount of time as well as reducing the cooldown before she can throw another grenade, allowing her to spam them constantly.
- Jump Jet Pack: After the female gunner 2nd awakening she gains Nitro Motor which allows her to perform 3 additional jumps in the air.
- Land Mine Goes "Click!": Averted, Flash Mine and M61 Mine set off the moment enemies step on them.
- More Dakka: Spitfire possesses exclusive passive mastery skills for Muskets and Bowguns, drastically increasing the attack speed and firing rate of both weapons. The buff skill Aerial Fire also allows them to fire massively increased number of projectiles in midair.
- The Strategist: Implied, the Spitfire has an access to a variety of different bullets and grenades that will deal more damage based on the type of enemy they hit (ex. Silver Bullets do more damage to demon, spirit, and undead type monsters while Fire Bullets do more damage to plant, insect, and building type enemies). In addition the Spitfire can set down mines and attach explosives onto enemies, allowing her to lure enemies into traps or zone them in PVP.
An outcasted Mage who, after undergoing a fatal experimental procedure, was resurrected via the power of the Abyss, a limitless source of energy that has replaced his heart. Now wielding unimaginable magical strength, he is sent to Arad to atone for his sins.
Wielding dark magicks, the Male Mage is a vastly different counterpart to the average Mage. With the Abyss in his heart, he can regenerate limitless Mana, and he possesses the strength of Immortality, an ability that allows him to defy death itself. The Male Mage is particularly specialized in elemental magic, with abilities such as Ice Sword and Wind Strike.
He can advance to become an Elemental Bomber, Glacial Master, Blood Mage, Swift Master, or Dimension Walker
Tropes associated with the Male Mage:
- The Atoner: Resurrected and sent to Arad to atone for his crimes on Pandemonium.
- Auto-Revive: one of his passive skills, Immortality, is an auto revive when his hp reaches zero. This is offset by the fact that for a few seconds immediately after reviving he takes extra damage and cannot use healing potions, if he dies within that period of time it counts as a death.
- Badass Adorable: Not as much as the female mage, but he does follow the Child Mage pattern.
- Darker and Edgier: compared to his female counterpart
- Delinquents: His intro cutscene reveals that he was one of these during his life on Pandemonium.
- Leitmotif: New Trial, reprises in his 2nd Awakening Trailer in Rock Form
- Our Elves Are Better: Subverted, in spite of looking like a Dark Elf, he is considered a Pandemonian, who are a separate species from Dark Elves.
- Pointy Ears: Like many Pandemonian characters — they're apparently distinct from the "true" dark elves of Arad, but more hasn't really been said.
- Power at a Price: A part of himself is replaced with the abyss, giving him limited immortality and stronger powers. The long term effects aren't known.
- Projectile Spell: His basic attacks are magical blue orbs.
- Revenge: One of his primary goals is getting this on the person who killed him. That "fatal experimental procedure" mentioned above? The real cause behind that was Ricardo the Heartbreaker, another Pandemonium Mage, who got jealous of the Kashipa magical society (of which the playable Male Mage is a part of) for their discovery of the Abyss and killed all of them in a fit of rage. The reason why the Male Mage is missing a heart in his opening cutscene is because of Ricardo (they don't call him the Heartbreaker for nothing), and he gets to meet the bastard by the time players reach the Harlem area.
- Stat Stick: None of his classes physically wield any of his equipped weapons, unlike the Female Mage.
- Trapped in Another World: Originally from Pandemonium but was sent to Arad by a mysterious being later revealed to be Hilder who gave him a second chance at life.
His 2nd Awakening is the Oblivion
- Chain Lightning: One of his attacks
- Charged Attack: He gains stacks of Elemental Force with each skill that he uses. He can expend these charges when he casts Elemental Cannon for a larger and more damaging Cannon Blast.
- Colony Drop: His 2nd Awakening Active, Armageddon Strike, causes the Oblivion to conjure an elemental nuke the size of a planet above his head, teleport into it, then, when it lands, detonate it with a Badass Fingersnap.
- Elemental Powers: Can enchant his basic attacks with one of the four elements through the skill Elemental Shift. In addition he has access to skills of all four elements and unlike Elementalists, can easily invest skill points in skills of all elements due to his lack of an elemental mastery skill.
- Instant Runes: His 2nd Awakening skill Elemental Field involves the Elemental Bomber gathering energy in his hand and slamming it into the ground, creating a huge rune circle that both damages enemies when it's created as well as greatly reducing their elemental resistance while it lasts.
- Magic Missile Storm: Elemental Rain, the Elemental Bomber jumps up and fires off a barrage of elemental magic missiles before finishing off with a giant magic cannonball.
- Jack-of-All-Trades: In terms of elements. While most of the female mage classes usually tend to focus on 2 elements in their skill builds, the Elemental Bomber does not have to specialize in any specific elements. This is reflected in his First Awakening Passive, Elemental Chain, where using a skill of one element buffs the power of skills for the other three.
His 2nd Awakening is the Eternal
- An Ice Person: All of his attacks are ice based
- Literally too in his awakening, as the lore states he's basically an icy embodiment of the abyss and that he's neither alive or dead.
- Dynamic Entry: Ice Crash has the Glacial Master crash through enemies as an ice drill to gather them all together.
- Elemental Punch: The Glacial Master's basic attacks change to encase his fists in ice to strike at his enemies.
- Energy Bow: Broken Arrow is an ice based variation that allows him to dash to the last enemy the arrows hit and strike them with the bow as a finishing move.
- Crystal Prison: His 2nd Awakening Active Judecca the Eternal fires an ice arrow that creates an expanding glacier on impact, trapping all enemies that make contact with it until it explodes.
- Geo Effects: Path of Frost leaves behind a trail of cold fog as the Glacial Master runs that increases his own movement speed while decreasing the movement speed and water/freeze resistance of enemies within it.
- Flechette Storm: Grand Shatter has the Glacial Master form an ice crystal in front of him before ripping it apart and firing its shards in a spray.
- Harmless Freezing: His First Awakening passive, Frozen Soul, freezes enemies around the Glacial Master without doing any damage to them.
- Spontaneous Weapon Creation: Can quickly form spears, bows, swords, blunt weapons, and drills out of ice.
- Multi-Melee Master: Can also efficiently wield any of these weapons easily.
A mage who uses the life essence of his enemies to augment his attacks. He awakens as a Bloodseeker.
His 2nd Awakening is the Vampire Lord
- Animal Motifs: Bats and Hounds, both appearing as spectres conjured from his Blood Magic.
- Blood Magic: As stated by his name.
- Cast from Hit Points: If the Blood Mage has insufficient Sanguinem for skills that consume it, then he will use his own health instead.
- Casts No Missing Reflection: He won't have shadows or reflections even if they're otherwise enabled with the ingame graphics settings.
- Mana Meter: Unlike other classes, his is halved to display his Sanguinem within the same mana orb, similar to how the Demon Hunter in Diablo III displays her two resources.
- Vampiric Draining: Ties into his gameplay. The Blood Mage uses two different resources, Mana like all other classes, and Sanguinem. Certain skills use up his Sanguinem, while other skills use his Mana to drain Sanguinem from his enemies. As such, the Blood Mage has to balance between using Sanguinem-costing skills, and replenishing it with Mana-costing skills. To help him with this, some of this stronger skills that use up the most Sanguinem also recover more Sanguinem than it costs to use them if they connect and if there's a Sanguinem-draining skill in effect when he uses a Sanguinem-costing skill, its Sanguinem cost is halved. After his second Awakening if his Sanguinem is full the absorbed Sanguinem will go to his life instead.
- As for the actual effect of draining his enemies' blood, killing an enemy with his Sanguinem-restoring skills has a special death animation that involves the drained enemy being turned into a blackened husk that crumbles into ash as it's blown away by the wind.
His 2nd Awakening is the Aiolos
- Air-Aided Acrobatics: Can perform mid-air dashes
- Blow You Away: His field of expertise
- Razor Wind: His basic attacks change to slice at the wind.
- Tornado Move: Can conjure up tornadoes on the fly
His 2nd Awakening is the Ascendant.
- Beam Spam: Dimension: Dimensional Laser allows him to either shoot a number of short-ranged beams from his palm or a single stronger long-ranged one, Dimension: Positron Blast allows him to create 3 portals that each shoot a converging beam in the middle and Dimensional Divergence: Forbidden Banquet is a Combination Attack with Nyarly that either causes her to turn into mist that immobilizes enemies while he shoots a number of beams at the enemies from above, or turns her into a giant pentacle from which he shoots much stronger beams, finishing off with a massive one.
- Charged Attack: Can generate a resource called "Dimension Ore" through his non empowered attacks. He can then expend Dimension Ores to empower certain skills.
- Covered in Gunge: A supernatural variant: Divergence: Crawling Mist lets him shoot forth a mist creature that sticks to an enemy, increasing the damage done by his skills against that enemy and making that enemy the main target of specific skills, letting him or Nyarly teleport directly to the marked enemy before attacking them, regardless of where they are in the room.
- Did We Just Have Tea with Cthulhu?: Quite literally, as he has a skill called Teatime that's used to make Nyarly stop attacking temporarily.
- Did You Just Romance Cthulhu?: He initially summoned Nyarly by accident and she took a liking to him: most of the skill descriptions involve having her tease him in some way or imply that he's not going to like it if he makes her unhappy in some way. His second Awakening also involves having him catch her in a Bridal Carry when she falls from the sky after she transforms back.
- Horny Devils: He summons a succubus-like demon named Nyarly to fight by his side.
- Lovecraft Lite: Several of his skills are inspired by Lovecraftian Tales, as is the name of the demon he summons. The gem mentioned in his 2nd Awakening, SSTH, also stands for Seven-sided Shining TrapezoHedron, an artifact mentioned in Lovecraft's tales that, you guessed it, can be used to summon one of Nyarlathotep's avatars.
- Mad Scientist: Compared to other male Mages, he comes off more like this, as his Awakening quest is centered around proving an incomplete thesis made by another mage and all of his skill descriptions have an additional description at the end that sound like research notes.
- Teleport Spam: Dimension: Kaleidoscope allows him to repeatedly attack an enemy while teleporting back and forth. He also has access to Dimension: Dimension Leap, which allows him to teleport away from an enemy while simultaneously damaging them and Dimension: Dimension Corridor which marks and damages enemies in a large area around them and allows him to teleport all of them into a single spot in front of him.
- Terrified of Germs: His passive, Mysophobia (meaning fear of contamination and germs) allows him to wield Broomsticks and implies this of him. His First Awakening artwork also shows him having a gas mask hanging off his neck.
- Whip It Good: Nyarly's main method of attacking the enemy: she can also use Divergence: Harlequin to do a rapid combo of whip flails followed by a stronger finishing strike or impale the enemies on it with Divergence: Whip Skewer.
- Badass Adorable: A young petite girl who can lift up weapons twice her size.
- Cute Bruiser: Pretty much all of the subclasses. Except Mistress, which diverts to the "sexy" route.
- Glacier Waif: She has less muscle on her compared to the Female Fighter, yet is able to wield giant Crosses and Axes without breaking a sweat.
- Image Song: Embracing Me
- Token Wholesome: Compared to the other females, the Female Priest's subclasses has some of the more modest designs; with the Crusader and Shaman classes wearing long dresses in their awakening arts, the Inquisitor being clad in full armor in both of her awakening art, and the Mistress's Stripperific design is more toned down compared to other examples that follow the dark and sexy theme like the Deicide and the Nemesis.
The Evangelist can then awaken as a Seraphim.
- Combat Medic: Like her Male version, although Females tend to drive much harder towards the "Combat" than the "Medic".
- Drop the Hammer: While not explicitly a hammer, she sure does wield her Cross like one. Carried over the shoulder in a war hammer-style, and swung around like a true heavy-hitter.
- Status Buff: Can buff her allies and herself with stat boosts.
A Hellkite can then advance to become an Inferno.
- An Axe to Grind: Her Weapon of Choice
- Holy Hand Grenade: Literally; one of her Skills has her chuck a bomb-sized orb at an enemy that explodes into a flaming cross on impact.
- Kill It with Fire: Lights her axe on fire as she slices through monsters, creating fiery explosions
- Mighty Glacier: Is rather slow, but has wide sweeping attacks to make up for it.
- Tomboyish Ponytail: Ties her hair up in this fashion in both of her awakening art.
A Duivine can then advance to become a Goddess.
- Abnormal Ammo: In a somewhat similar fashion to Ōkami, many of the Shaman's attacks are comprised of firing her Rosary's beads at enemies in numerous ways. Her other skills even has her throw paper talismans.
- Magic Staff: She actually doesn't physically wield her Weapon of Choice (Rosaries) but instead carries a staff and has her Rosary Beads float behind her.
- Instant Awesome: Just Add Dragons!: Both of her awakenings summon dragons.
- Paper Talisman: Can plant Talismans on enemies, and throws them out when casting some of her spells.
A Sin Sayer can then advance to become a Redeemer.
Possible subclasses include: Rogue, Necromancer, Kunoichi, and Shadow Dancer
- Combat Stilettos: Her default design has her wear high heels.
- Contralto of Danger: Nexon North America gave her a rather deep voice in their dub. Averted for other languages.
- Dual Wielding: Comes with Reverse Grip
- Fantastic Racism: Shows some contempt for humans when first starting out on her journey. She is on the receiving end herself by a few NPCs. This is toned down considerably post-Metastasis.
- Image Song: Rush
- Our Elves Are Better: Is a Dark Elf.
- Scarf Of Asskicking: Part of her default design.
- The Stoic: The personality given to the generic Thief.
Ingame she is capable inhuman speeds, but choosing to equip Twin Swords instead of Daggers noticeably lowers her attack speed in exchange for greater attack power. Regardless of which weapon she wields, the Rogue is excellent at comboing attacks. Her main feature lies in her skill Hit End which allows her to build up Contact Points through her attacks and spend them by pressing "Z" at the end of just about any given skills for a powerful finisher.
Awakens as a Silver Moon
Her 2nd Awakening is the Alcyone
- Death of a Thousand Cuts: Especially if she wields Daggers.
- Diving Kick: Diving Arrow causes the Rogue to dive down from the sky and perform an air kick on the enemy which she can finish off with a slam kick.
- Double Jump: One of her skills.
- Flash Step: Side Step, a sidestep, and Breaking Rush, a forward dash.
- Glowing Eyes: Her subclass effect causes her eyes to glow white.
- Knife Nut: Can use either Twin Swords or Daggers.
- Speed Blitz: Several of her attacks, including Lightning Arrow, Excel Strike, and Sonic Assault.
- Spin Attack: Sword Dance and Hurricane both involve this, with latter combining it with Flechette Storm.
A practitioner of traditional Dark Elf Magics, the Necromancer specializes in coordinating with her primary summon, Nicholas, to aid her in her attacks. She invokes the spirit of the ancient king of the Dark Elves, Vallacre, to embrace his powers, being able to cleave great areas with his blade while he is summoned.
Awakens as a Defiler
Her 2nd Awakening is the Thanatos
- Arachnid Appearance and Attire: Not her, but one of her main summons, Nicholas, was known as the Spider Prince when he was alive. Several of his attacks are spider themed, like summoning a large spider to strike enemies or creating a web of darkness around him to damage enemies over time and, with later skill upgrades, immobilize them
- Battle Butler: Again, Nicholas
- Casting a Shadow: All of her attacks are of the dark element.
- Cast from Hit Points: Dark Ritual is a buff that grants the Necromancer a temporary boost in intellect at the cost of strength and some of her Health.
- Elegant Gothic Lolita: Summons a zombie variant who proceeds to barf on monsters before then disappearing.
- Homing Projectile: Dark Soul creates a spectral projectile that seeks out the first enemy in range.
- Necromancer: Duh
- Night of the Living Mooks: Downplayed, compared to the Summoner and Mechanics, the Necromancer doesn't have an army of minions constantly at her disposal, instead she summons a temporary group of zombies through issuing a skill command to Nicholas. The zombies summoned grab onto enemies then explode having a chance to curse them. If an enemey dies while still cursed will a zombie will be summoned in its place.
- Powers via Possession: Her summon, Vallacre was the ancient king of the dark elves and the Necromancer is described as allowing Vallacre to possess her. This makes Vallacre play less like a summon and more like a skill buff, changing the Necromancer's basic attacks into strikes with Vallacre's sword and giving the Necromancer access to new abilities while Vallacre is summoned.
- Your Soul Is Mine: She can collect the souls of defeated units (including her own) in order to charge up for a buff that grants bonuses to several of her skills.
When Vallacre rose to power long ago, not all Dark Elves were willing to serve under him. Various groups of Dark Elves instead scattered across Arad in search of elsewhere to live. Several of these Dark Elves ended up in Suju and overtime, intermingled with the culture of the locals and incorporated it into their own. Through combining Suju Nen techniques with Dark Elf Magics, an art called "Ninpou" was created. The Kunoichi is a practitioner of Ninpou who specializes in area of effect fire magic and creating clones that mimic her attacks.
Awakens as an Izunabi.
Her 2nd Awakening is the Shiranui.
- Charged Attack: Most of her attacks can be powered up by holding down the button used to cast it: this usually makes the attack do more damage or have more reach.
- Doppelgänger Attack: She can either cancel her skills while she's casting them, substituting herself with a clone that finishes the attack for her or have the clone repeat the last 6 skills she used in powered up form and in rapid succession.
- Double Jump: In the same manner as the Rogue.
- Gratuitous Japanese: Regardless of the language of her voice, she will utter Japanese words with some of her attacksFlying Squirrel:ムササビ! (Musasabi)! しまい! (Shimai!)
- Highly Visible Ninja: Especially in her 2nd awakening art, where's she's clad in all white.
- Hime Cut: In her first awakening portrait she has the even bangs and side locks of the trope while the rest is done up. She's a ninja or a McNinja after all and overall has a Japanese theme.
- Kill It with Fire: Basically all of her attacks involve this one way or another, combined with Stuff Blowing Up.
- McNinja: Possibly an in-universe example, Dark Elf culture is non-Asian in design and it is said that the Thief seamlessly blends Suju magics with Dark Elf magics as a Kunoichi.
- Ninja Log: Another one of her skills.
- Public Domain Artifact: Her 2nd Awakening skills are named after and connected to Imperial Regalia of Japan: she gains a spinning ring of magatama that she can shoot at her enemies to gradually power up her attacks, 2 additional summons in form of Yamata no Orochi and Amaterasu and her 2nd Awakening Active allows her to summon the flaming sword Kusanagi, which she can then temporarily wield to further enhance the power of her attacks and turn her flames blue.
- Stock Ninja Weaponry: She equips Kunai as her weapon, and can also use shurikens in her skills.
An Assassin character who gains bonuses when back attacking. Her abilities allow her to automatically move behind and enemy or turn their heads, making back attacking much smoother compared to other classes.
She Awakens as a Nightmare.
Her 2nd Awakening is the Grim Reaper.
- Beat Still, My Heart: Fatal Blitz, if used from behind, will rip out a single target's heart before crushing it in her hand.
- Casting a Shadow: While none of her attacks deal any implicit shadow damage, she is able to manipulate her own shadows by extending them into an aura around her that allow her attacks to bounce between enemies within the aura whenever she lands a back attack.
- Chain Pain: Her 2nd Awakening Active, Chain Reaction, attaches a chain to her daggers, giving her access to additional moves that allow her to bind an enemy in place, or perform a finisher to string up a single target.
- Flash Step: One that allows her to cancel out of attacks and have a Shadow Clone finish the attack for her.
- Gratuitous Spanish: Whispers "Adios" when Fatal Blitz is used behind the enemy.
- In the Back: Her entire skill set is geared around exposing the enemy's back, either by maneuvering behind them or spinning them around,and then stabbing them for increased damage and followup attacks on most of her skills.
- In the Hood: Part of her attire in official art.
- Knife Nut: Equips Daggers
- Sexy Backless Outfit: It's visible in her awakening art if you squint, but in wallpapers and as an avatar set, it's clear that her crop top exposes her back.
- Slasher Smile: In her cut-in when the Assassination skill is performed from behind the enemy.
- Super Move Portrait Attack: When the Assassination skill is used when the enemy's back is turned, it will show one of these that take up the whole screen for a split second.
Formerly a mild-mannered schoolteacher from a quiet village, a woman learns from mysterious dreams that she is a Knight, one of many beings from another dimension destined to find the missing Apostle Carloso. To this end, she bids farewell to the life she once knew in order to follow her destiny.
The Knight is one of many alternate selves that were created from a single image and scattered across the world to fulfill the same purpose. Gaining strength as a Knight takes the form of a process known as "synchronization", where power is slowly seeped into the Knight from alternate counterparts of herself. However, the Knight must take care not to let the power overwhelm her, as she runs the risk of losing herself amongst the synchronization process.
Possible subclasses include: Elven Knight and Chaos, Dragon Knight, and Lightbringer.
- Alternate Self: She attains her subclasses differently than other characters. Instead of training for them, she synchronizes with alternative versions of herself.
- Boobs of Steel: Bustier (especially as the Elven Knight) than the Female Fighter and the Thief, who were already nicely sized physical fighters.
- Gainaxing: Never stops bouncing; as every animation has her breasts jiggle.
- Leitmotif: Dream4U, reprises in her 2nd Awakening Trailer in rock form. Global's 4th Anniversary event played a slower R&B-styled remix of the theme during its dance parties.
- Luckily, My Shield Will Protect Me: Uses a shield with her sword, and her main quirk is choosing shields for various boosts.
- Miss Fanservice: She seems designed with Fanservice in mind more than previous female characters.
- Non-Standard Character Design: Quite different even compared to Creator, looking more fitting in a SoulCalibur game (she basically looks like Sophitia from that series) or a typical fantasy anime.
- Panty Shot: Also counts as a Freeze-Frame Bonus as several of her frames while◊ wearing her◊ default outfit◊ actually have her skirt fly up and expose her undergarments.
- Shield Bash: Several of her skills have her use her shield as an attack. Notably, her basic combo prior to promoting is nothing but this.
- Taste of Power: Prior to the scenario dungeon update, one quest allowed her to temporarily assume one of her subclasses in a special dungeon instance. She wasn't allowed to keep those powers beyond that moment, as it would have severely strained her.
The Elven Knight is a melee fighter who specializes in canceling and chaining her skills one-after-another constantly. Wields Zanbatos and Plate Armor. Awakens as a Peacemaker.
Her 2nd Awakening is the Gaia.
- Auto-Revive: In addition to being absurdly tanky, Elven Knights possess the Dimension Molter skill, which lets her revive once every 3 minutes.
- Difficult, but Awesome: Her ability, Chain Rush, is essentially this: while it's in effect, performing any skill causes a moving gauge to appear on top of her head, at which point she can use an unique Chain Rush-exclusive attack and follow that up with another skill to advance the chain, increasing her damage output up to double her normal damage at 5x chain. However, it's easy to lose the chain (the gauge times out, you miss the chain by using the Rush when the gauge is in the "miss" zone, you try to cancel the Rush into an attack that's currently in cooldown, etc) and timing your attacks so they both match the chain gauge and actually hit the enemy can be difficult to manage. Her 2nd Awakening makes this slightly easier by giving her a buff that starts her chain at 3x while it's active.
- Dynamic Entry: Elvish Jump, when fully charged, can let the player jump roughly two screen widths into battle, sword first.
- Fanservice Pack: Her art seems to take Knight's already very sizable endowments and turn it Up to Eleven.
- Fertile Feet: Nature's Protection causes grass to spontaneously grow wherever the Elven Knight walks.
- Green Thumb: Her attacks are all nature themed.
- Luckily, My Shield Will Protect Me: Has a number of skills that involve raising her shield to block enemy attacks.
- Mythical Motifs: Unicorns.
- Our Elves Are Different
- Power-Up Mount: Can ride a Guardian Unicorn, gaining a new set of attacks.
- Rapunzel Hair: Her avatar set based on her artwork reveals that the Elven Knight's hair goes down all the way to her knees.
- Shield Bash: A number of her attacks use this in some form, and outside of her various skills, her normal attacks involve whacking the enemy with her shield over actually using that giant sword of hers.
A Knight who has turned to the treacherous path of demons, gaining command of a small army of demons who are at the beck and call of the Knight so long as she proves her dominance. Throughout her journey across the world, the Chaos must face off against a demonic synchronization that threatens to drive her mad with power. At Level 50, she awakens as a Demon Queen.
Her 2nd Awakening is the Demon God, a Knight with powers rivaling that of Aten himself, with dominion over all demons.
- Auto-Revive: If the Chaos falls in combat, Evil God Aten will activate, which automatically restores 10% of her HP and brings out Aten, who stalls enemies with Frickin' Laser Beams and destroys your own summons to prolong his uptime. This skill has an extensive cooldown, however.
- Bad Boss: Through the use of Wicked Blood Fusion, She can attack her own demons to beef their stats. In addition, she can sacrifice a minion (or more) to be an Action Bomb through the use of Sacrificial Bomb and Genocide Crush.
- Big Ball of Violence: What Smash Brawl does. You can even drag more enemies into it if they meander into its area of effect.
- Competitive Balance: Subverted; her overpoweredness pretty much prevents her from ever enrolling into the Arena. This also makes all Arena-related Titles Permanently Missable for this character.
- Death from Above: Her 2nd Awakening active, Aten Incarnation, lets her summon Aten to rain hand-shaped streams of fire all over the room.
- Finishing Move: Final Attack causes her to shoulder tackle enemies, then attack with a highly-damaging combo. The "finishing" part takes into account the fact that enemies ensnared by the initial attack become the target of all Demon Soldiers/Magicians currently on-screen. The end result is usually a pile of mush in the case of regular mooks, or incredible damage on bosses.
- Frickin' Laser Beams:
- Aten can use these while he's out; they deal damage and slow down enemies they come into contact with.
- Dimension Blade will allow your Demon Magicians to summon lasers at enemies for a very brief period of time.
- Girlish Pigtails: Demon Queen sports this style.
- Light Is Not Good: Aten is known as a god of the sun in Egyptian mythology, and was said to be worshiped as such in the game's lore. However, he is also explicitly said to be an evil and chaotic deity here as well.
- Magic Knight: Don't be fooled by her plethora of physical-esque attacks; all of her Skills are Magical in nature, even the ones that physically attack enemies.
- The Minion Master: Can summon rather cutesy demons that follow her and attack alongside her.
- Mismatched Eyes: Has one purple eye and one green eye (normal eye color).
- Nerf: While most classes either got buffs or a mix of buffs and nerfs during the Season 2 update for DFOG, Chaos is the only class that was absolutely hit with the nerf bat, decreasing her damage output from about half of her skill tree and reducing the usefulness of certain summons. Granted, she was also a Game-Breaker and one of the her previously nonfunctional skills was fixed, giving her the potential to be as strong as she used to be although with more effort.
- Nonhuman Humanoid Hybrid: Is half Demon, half Pandemonian.
- Not the Intended Use: If you're running a bit low on Rank Points, just tap Wicked Blood Fusion and activate a high-combo skill such as Fancy Twist. Not only do your Demons gain a quick Attack buff, but this also counts towards your Rank Points. You can easily rise two to three Ranks instantly via this method.
- Rapid-Fire Fisticuffs: Evil God Mayhem involves summoning Aten's fists to punch everything in the Chaos's path, capped off by a launching punch from the ground. If you mash the Attack key, you can get even more punches.
- Sleeves Are for Wimps: Demon God sports this style. Some fans have taken to the nickname "Armpit God" for it.
- Stuff Blowing Up:
- Black Impact causes the Chaos to thrust her blade into the ground to create a black shockwave that deals continuous damage to all enemies within the hit radius and inflicts Blind. If any Demon Soldiers are also within the blast zone, they also gain the ability to emit mini-shockwaves periodically over a period of several seconds. If you have Avatar of Aten, Aten's Avatar will also gain the ability to emit more giant shockwaves.
- Any Demon Soldiers and Magicians will detonate when the Genocide Crush skill is initiated. Since Chaos usually have a small legion of summons out at all times, this results in a lot of exploding. And damage. If you activate Aten's Command first, you can instantly recover your lot without having to respawn any additional Demons.
- Tornado Move: Fancy Twist surrounds Chaos with a tornado that draws in nearby monsters. Avatar of Aten vastly improves its area of effect.
- Unusual Ears: Her ears resemble fins.
- Wave Motion Gun: If you have Avatar of Aten, using Dimension Blade adds a tacked-on bonus effect that causes Aten's Avatar to fire giant lasers.
Awakens as a Braveheart
A Braveheart can then advance to become a Dreadnought.
- Instant Awesome: Just Add Dragons!: Many of her moves has dragons assisting her.
- Multicolored Hair: Has brown colored hair with a section of her bangs pink.
Awakens as an Archangel
An Archangel can then advance to become a Savior.
- Death from Above: Mandate of Heaven has the Lightbringer jump offscreen before slamming the ground to create a large crater.
- Light 'em Up: Ironically, despite how many of her moves have light aesthetics, they're non-elemental.
- Power Gives You Wings: Her passive skill Seraph Feather gives her wings made out of bright light.
Also known as the "Children of Sirocco", the Demonic Lancers are men who wield the deadly Demonic Lance, a spear that captures the souls of those who fall by its blade and transforms them into power. Forced into slavery at a young age, the Demonic Lancers were made to battle in the Imperial Arena, a death game set up by the Empire where men battled foes beast and human alike for the entertainment of nobles; the losers were guaranteed death, and the winners lived to fight another day. When the Emperor opened the Imperial Arena to the public, he invited adventurers to participate under the promise of fame, fortune, and status, and the slaves who emerged victorious would gain their freedom as well. Wracked with suffering from the power they wielded, many Demonic Lancers who earned their freedom left behind their rewards and traveled to Silver Crown to seek a way to release them from their curse.
Can advance to either a Vanguard, Skirmisher, Dragonian Lancer, or Dark Lancer.
- Badass Baritone: Has the deepest voice out of all the characters and is just as badass.
- Blade on a Stick: Wields Lances.
- Bishōnen: A more muscular version of the trope.
- Fighting Your Friend: His intro shows that he earned freedom by killing his best friend in a tournament.
- Leitmotif: Crack Is Over.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: Subverted, he has red eyes but nowhere near evil. Played straight then subverted again when advancing into a Dark Lancer, his right half gets black sclera with a yellow iris and by the time he 2nd awakens, both of his eyes change.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Has dark blue hair.
The Skirmisher is a Demonic Lancer who has shunned the Lance's curse in order to hone his lance-wielding technique. As such, he has become a master of the lance, using only its raw power alone to fell his foes. The Skirmisher has in turn gained the power of the Mirage Stance, a skill that enables him to conjure illusions.
At Level 50, the Skirmisher may awaken as a Highlander, a Skirmisher who has attained even higher mastery of lance technique and of Mirage. Highlanders are known to leave behind that which ties them to the world, valuing nothing but themselves and battle.
A Highlander who advances may awaken as a Durandal.
- Lightning Bruiser: A quick, sturdy, combo-based fighter, although he trades some of his strength for speed when compared to Vanguard.
- Stance System: His Mirage Stance allows him to cancel his attacks while his mirage finishes them for him: by default, this causes him to backdash away from the enemy, but you can press a direction while you use the Mirage Stance to instantly follow up the cancel with one of 3 moves.
- This Is a Drill: Swiring Spear is a spear-based variant that hits multiple times.
The Vanguards are Demonic Lancers who have taken to the ways of the Demonic Lance, harnessing its curse to annihilate foes with complete absolution. They are famed and feared for their proficiency at war, leading armies to certain victory and crushing those that dare stand against them. They seek only the lust of battle, and dare not take the lives of those unwilling to fight.
At Level 50, the Vanguard may awaken as a Revenant, a Vanguard who has mastered the Demonic Lance through life and death, rising every time he falls to claim victory.
A Revenant who advances may awaken as a Warlord.
- Absolute Cleavage: A male example in his second awakening portrait.
- Barbarian Long Hair: In his first awakening portrait.
- Desperation Attack: His First Awakening Passive, Demonic Control, grants him additional attack speed and increases the damage threshold for Demonic Lance Mastery as his health drops.
- Everything's Better with Spinning: His skill Devastate, which has him repeatedly sweep his glaive overhead to strike everything in his vincinity.
- Immune to Flinching:Demonic Lance Mastery allows him to ignore hitstun from attacks that deal below a percentage of his health so long as he keeps attacking.
- Impaled with Extreme Prejudice: ''Lunge Strike" thrusts his lance forward and skewers all enemies caught before jumping forward and slamming them into the ground.
- Lightning Bruiser: Most of his attacks consist of very few hits, but they all hit hard, execute quickly and generally have large Area of Effect.
- This Is a Drill: Dread Bore works like this, much like the Skirmisher's variant, although it has far more reach and damage at a cost of longer cooldown and startup.
Awakens as a Leviathan.
A Leviathan can then advance to become a Deimos.
Awakens as an Abbadon.
An Abbadon can then advance to become an Erebus.
- Black Eyes of Crazy: His sclerae become black.
Possible subclasses include Secret Agent, Hit Man, Trouble Shooter, and Specialist.
- Hunk: Not onto an extent as the male priest, but he's definitely more older and masculine looking than most of the males.
- Leitmotif: Nowhere
Secret AgentA Professional Killer for The Company who has Undying Loyalty to Empyrean, even after the entire organization's wrongful exile. Wields a suppressed handgun and kodachi and relies on quick, precise movements in combat.
His first Awakening is the Enforcer, while his second Awakening is the Executioner.
- Badass Longcoat: The official art for Executioner◊ has him wearing a coat that's way longer than his base class's.
- Boring, but Practical: Compared to the Rangers, his gunplay is most definitely this: he forgoes fancy acrobatics and More Dakka in exchange for precise shots that are almost guaranteed to hit, and from gameplay POV, Target Shooting is one of the best attacks in the game when it comes to getting rid of singular enemies hiding away either in the corner of the room or behind destructible objects. His awakening idle animation is also a great example of this: while most other classes show off their powers in some fancy way, all he does is to pull out a piece of paper from a manilla envelope, take a quick look at it and put it away.
- Bottomless Magazines: Mostly played straight, with the sole exception being Target Shooting. After firing six shots, the Secret Agent is forced to reload (which can be canceled like any other animation).
- Flash Step: Shadow Step allows him to teleport around multiple targets while slashing and shooting at them, and once he connects with the first set of attacks, he either use the second and third set right away or use other attacks between them. Romatic Dash allows him to do a quick dash that he can follow with a sword swing, and if he's attacked during it or it's manually triggered, he performs an invulnerable dodge behind the enemy and can follow up with a gun shot.
- Gun Fu: Mostly focused around singular, precise shots that may or may not pierce multiple targets. Target Shooting is an even better example of this, as it involves actual hitscan bullets and the pose Secret Agent takes when performing this attack depends on the target's relative location to him.
- Lag Cancel: Romantic Dash, Blade Falcon's follow up attack and Shadow Step all allow the Secret Agent to cancel just about every other skill in his arsenal aside from his Limit Break moves. Shadow Step in particular forms a core part of his relentless offense, allowing him to fit more skills in a smaller window of time.
- Lunacy: Most of his sword skills involve the moon in some way.
- Marked to Die: The Assassination Target skill does this. Upon entering a room with a champion or boss enemy in it, they instantly get a target mark over their head and skills that would normally target the nearest enemy (e.g. Target Shooting and Shadow Step) instead prioritize the marked target first, additionally taking more damage than usual. The target can be changed if there's more than one applicable enemy, or removed if normal enemies are more important at the moment (crucial for certain endgame gimmicks).
- Offhand Backhand: If Target Shooting happens to aim at an enemy in the background, the Secret Agent doesn't even bother to look at the poor sap while shooting.
- Pistol-Whipping: Rabbit Punch and Annihilation are both grabs that start off with the Secret Agent whacking his enemy upside the head with his pistol.
- Precision-Guided Boomerang: Much like Gunners' Death Hawk, his Blade Falcon allows him to turn his sword and gun into a spinning bladed boomerang, to which he can teleport to on command for a finishing slash.
- Single-Stroke Battle: His first Awakening Limit Break, VIP Assassination, is stylized like this, complete with a Limited Animation Gory Discretion Shot.
HitmanA mercenary who worked for a subsidiary of The Company, tasked with eliminating Private Military Contractor competitors who were afraid of The Company's growing influence amongst Empyrean nobility. Wields an SMG and an odachi and fights with flashy moves and reckless abandon.
His first Awakening is the Big Boss, and his second Awakening is the Godfather.
- Blade Spam / More Dakka: While he wields a handheld gun and a sword like Secret Agent described above, his approach to combat is the complete opposite, which is largely to be expected when he's the only gun-wielding class in the game who uses an SMG. All of his sword skills with the exception of Final Strike also consist of rapid slashes.
- Breakable Weapons: While his weapons don't lose durability any faster or slower than any other class, he's the only subclass in the game whose passive ability is described as performing basic maintenance on his weapons via oiling them.
- Everything's Better with Spinning: Also a major fan of this.
- Gun Fu: Instead of Secret Agent's precise, single shots, he instead rapidly sweeps the room with his SMG in as overelaborate manner as possible.
- The Power of Friendship: As a synergy class, his buff skill is capable of buffing the damage of his allies.
- Unorthodox Reload: Tactical Offense involves him taking one of his clips and throwing it ahead of him, dashing in while shooting at the enemy, catching the clip and using it to reload and following up with a Spin Attack.
TroubleshooterThe Troubleshooters of The Company have a knack for solving their clients' problems via gratuitous amounts of explosives and hard-hitting firepower. Their exploits have become the stuff of legend in Arad, who have never seen such a fighting style in their lands before. Wields a shotgun and a square sword in combat.
His first Awakening is the Wildcard, while his second Awakening is the Renegade.
- Crazy Awesome: His second Awakening questline involves having him trying to figure out a way to use his sword to stab the explosives he's throwing. Siran suggests that he should just slash them instead.
- Crazy-Prepared: His second Awakening skill Incredible implies that he somehow anticipated that he might end up being ambushed in whatever location he decides to use the skill in and thus boobytrapped it with massive amounts of explosives, no matter how ridiculously implausible it might be considering said locations involve things like bodyparts of giant entities he hadn't even heard of up until that point or even other planets.
- Improbable Use of a Weapon: His sword is used more as way to explode his enemies more effectively than as an actual melee weapon: he either attaches explosives to it and swings it to blow up his enemies point blank or attacks the explosives themselves with it to make them blow up at the right time. He also uses it as a weapon stand for one of his skills, as described below.
- Shotguns Are Just Better: Uses one for his gunplay attacks. Taken Up to Eleven with Nine Barrels, a massive shotgun with nine barrels taller than he is which requires him to use his sword as a makeshift stand to even fire it straight.
- Stuff Blowing Up: His main way of attacking his enemies involves throwing around copious amounts of explosives and shooting at them with his shotgun or slashing at them with his sword to blow them up.
- Unnecessary Combat Roll: Has this as one of his moves and can use it to cancel his attacks while staying mobile.
SpecialistThe Specialist is considered a maverick in the mostly conservative Company, volunteering to field test weapons using new Core Energy technology. Wields a Core Pistol and Core Blade and specializes in crowd control and defense debuffing.
His first Awakening is the Core Master, while his second Awakening is the Pathfinder.
- Cast from Hit Points: According to his second Awakening quest dialog, the would-be Pathfinder confides in Siran to help him find a way to better control Core Energy so it's less detrimental to his health. This has no actual bearing on his gameplay as none of his skills drain his life even after obtaining the second Awakening.
- Clarke's Third Law: Quoted almost verbatim in the Pathfinder's backstory.
- Ex Special Attack: He can amplify some of his attacks by spending energy from the Intension Gauge. His second Awakening has a passive that has him start off with three Intension Gauge bars in every dungeon and generally makes it easier to fill it up. Amplified skills are signified by red lightning.
- Laser Blade: Some of his skills turn the Core Blade into this.
- Messy Hair: The Pathfinder's official art◊ sports rather unruly shoulder-length hair.
- Shock and Awe: All of his attacks revolve around this.
- Stun Gun: The Core Pistol is essentially one of these.
- Unrealistic Black Hole: Attract Ammunition and his second Awakening Limit Break, Exceed, are both this.
Supplemental Story CharactersNote: These characters are designated as official "Supplemental Story Characters" by Neople. They do not factor into the game's main story, and require an existing Lv. 70+ character on the same account to create and play.
After being infected by Kazan's curse, a fateful encounter with a princess caused a young Slayer's infection to rapidly accelerate, causing him to go insane and making him a viable subject for the Vilmark experiments. However, the experiments' failure causes him to arrive at the Time Gate, where he gains the power to purge the curse from his body. Upon meeting the Creator, he sees a vision of the end of time. In order to prevent the fate of the world, he and the Creator sacrifice a large portion of their power to leave the Time Gate and arrive in present-day Arad.
His gameplay focuses around a combo system where up to five (previously six) Slayer Skills can be bound to the same hotkey to create a combo initiated by mashing the hotkey, with each successive Skill gaining an increasing power boost, but if he gets hit, waits too long to use the next move in the sequence or uses a different combo, his combo is interrupted and put on cooldown. He is able to use all armors and can wield all Slayer weapons.
Obtaining a sufficient number of Time Fragments will enable the Dark Knight to Awaken, gaining complete mastery over the powers of time.
- Badass Cape: Briefly dons a transparent one made out of darkness at the beginning of his second Awakening and during his Unique Aura Idle Animation. His second Awakening cosmetic feature also causes him to periodically radiate darkness from his upper back, implying this.
- Bag of Spilling: Justified; breaking out of the Time Gate cost him the majority of his power, and he must regain it throughout his journey.
- Cooldown Manipulation: In addition to increasing the power of his skills the further they are in his combo, his combos also share a single cooldown that's the average of all the skills in the combo. This means that he can do things like stack up to 4 low cooldown skills into a combo and have a much stronger skill at the end that he can use much more often than he normally could.
- Divergent Character Evolution:Strangely, this applies more to the Male Slayer subclasses he was based off of rather than himself, as through various balance patches, several of the skills that were similar between have been either changed in terms of hitbox/animation or deleted on his counterparts' side.
- Jack-of-All-Trades: He has most abilities (non awakening actives mainly) from every Slayer subclass.
- Master of None: But he lacks the passives that define each subclass, forcing him to be versatile.
- Mechanically Unusual Class: The aforementioned combo system. Additionally, none of the Dark Knight's skills have any non-hotkey inputs, including the basic Z button Launcher Move every other class starts off with (it needs to be bound to a hotkey combo).
- Time Master: Awakening gives the Dark Knight control over the passage of time.
- Time Stop removes most of the previous limitations for his combo, meaning his combos no longer reset if he's hit or if he waits too long between moves. It also gives him a gauge that charges with each combo skill he uses, which he can use to power up his non-combo skills when he cancels his combo skills into them, allowing him to essentially use 2 full-strength skills in a row.
- Space Time Union grants the Dark Knight the strength of all of his temporal existences, allowing him to shift the properties of certain attacks and maximizing his stats by matching Strength, Intelligence, Physical Crit Chance, and Magical Crit Chance to the highest number of the four.
- Time Break causes a massive temporal energy discharge, allowing the Dark Knight to exist everywhere at once. Enemies onscreen are slaughtered by a storm of attacks as he moves, before being destroyed in a space-time explosion.
A prolific Mage who was also subject to the Vilmark experiments, much like the Dark Knight. The experiment's failure resulted in becoming trapped within the Time Gate, where she learned to harness the "Familiar of Time", granting her the ability to manipulate the very fabric of the world around her, earning her the title of "Creator". Having learned about the end of time from the Dark Knight, the two sacrificed their powers to escape the Time Gate and travel to Arad to prevent the fate of the world.
Unlike other characters, she wields a vastly different control scheme focused around the mouse. She can wield all of the same weapons a Mage does, although her Weapon of Choice leans towards Broomsticks.
Obtaining a sufficient number of Time Fragments will enable the Creator to Awaken, gaining mastery over the abilities of creation.
- Button Mashing: Damage dealing at later stages can boil down to hammering the mouse buttons as fast as humanly possible to maximize DPS.
- Crutch Character: Similarly to the Female Brawler, she'll be able to utterly decimate early dungeons without much effort, but will become more and more reliant on having a team to protect her or playing more carefully in the later levels due to not being able to insta-gib everything on screen any more, although her damage output remains quite high.
- The New Balance update brings her lategame more in line with the other characters
- Death of a Thousand Cuts: Due to the nature of her basic attack, killing endgame enemies can come down to this, interspersed with a few very hard hits.
- Elemental Powers: She can invoke them but in a different style than the other elemental focused mage classes.
- Kill It with Fire: The Fire skill allows her to summon a fire pillar that the player can manuever with the left mouse click, as well as summon small meteors with the right mouse click. The Protection skill's Flame Hurricane also envelops the Creator in a tornado of fire.
- An Ice Person: The Ice skill allows her to summon giant ice balls that bowl over enemies with the left mouse click, as well as summon huge ice plates that crush enemies flat with the right mouse click. Protection can also generate an Ice Shield that knocks away enemies defends the Creator from attacks. The Ice Age Skill from the Reenactment ability allows her to generate a field of ice by clicking and dragging, dealing damage within a certain area. The smaller the area of effect, the more potent the damage.
- Green Thumb: Interference's Wooden Trap allows her to create a barrier made of roots with the right mouse click.
- Blow You Away: Wind allows her to summon a highly damaging wind tunnel she can direct with the left mouse click, or create a vortex of wind with the right mouse click that pulls enemies towards it and deals continuous damage.
- Fetch Quest: Along her journey, she is additionally tasked with recovering Time Fragments from area bosses. Completing these quests restores Fragments to the Time Gate, which, in turn, unlocks flat stat boosts for her. Collecting enough of them will allow her to Awaken.
- Glass Cannon: Beyond all others; she's one of the most frail classes, but is also one of the strongest classes.
- Linear Warriors, Quadratic Wizards: Initially inverted in her case; at the beginning of the game, she's an outright Game-Breaker that has both superior range and Magic strength compared to virtually every other class. However, by the time she hits Level 50, her damage growth begins flatlining, as she lacks endgame tools due to the nature of her class.
- The New Balance update stabilized her skill growth, giving her Awakening skills and averting this trope altogether.
- Mechanically Unusual Class: While some recent classes have some extra quirks, she outright controls differently.
- Meganekko: Art appears to follow the archetype, though in game, she has them on the top of her head.
- Nerf: Notably, an update nerfed her by giving all of her attacks limited range of effect, where she can only cast or attack within a certain range from her sprite. This prevents old strategy of sitting in a corner and just plinking away at enemies from across the map with Ice Plate and normal attack.
- No-Sell: The Protection skill can create a barrier of ice with the right mouse click. The shield also momentarily defends against all damage by absorbing attacks. However, it will shatter prematurely if it eats too much damage.
- Non-Standard Character Design: Her design appears more Animesque compared to previous classes.
- Squishy Wizard: Less so than the average Mage due to her choice of Plate Armor, but she still has problems holding her ground if caught in a firefight. Not that it should be a problem, though; you'd basically have to let her be attacked given her playstyle.
- Stuff Blowing Up: Ending Creative Space involves detonating the Life Tree, invoking a massive explosion that deals huge AOE damage.
- Super-Deformed: Activating Distortion summons a mini-Memet to the Creator's side. This mini-Memet becomes full-sized when the Time Forward skill is activated.
- Super Mode: Creative Space starts as this, massively beefing up the Fire, Ice, and Wind skills to maximize damage
- Support Party Member: As her relative strength diminishes and other characters begin to catch up, her playstyle becomes more geared toward supporting a party. She possesses a variety of skills that manipulate enemy positions (Draw, Wooden Trap, Wind Storm), stunlock/juggle targets (basic attack, Flame Hurricane, Meteor Drop), or knock down (Ice Stone, Ice Plate). Additionally, her playstyle assures that she's in danger much less of the time, and she still has respectable damage output.
- Theme Naming: The Creator's familiar is named Cabala (as in that Kabbalah) and her 2nd awakening skill is the Tree of Life, Sephiroth (complete with its diagram representation in the background).
- Themed Cursor: While the cursor is otherwise the same as any other player's outside of dungeons, it becomes an orange circle when within dungeons. When clicked, the circle produces a burst effect that damages enemies within its range. The cursor also changes in response to activating one of her ten Skills.