Works with their own pages:
- The 4400
- When we finally find out why Isabelle exists:Isabelle: I was sent to eliminate the 4400!
- This exchange been Tom Baldwin and Dennis Ryland:Tom Baldwin: These soldiers you're creating... Are you really going to use them to defend the country? Or are you just going to send them after the 4400?
Dennis Ryland: Is there a difference?
- Maia's Journal entryMommy's bosses will be punished for betraying us.
- In the episode appropriately titled Mommy's BossesMaia Skouris: Nothing is over. It's just starting
Diana Skouris: Sweetie, what are you talking about? What's started?
Maia Skouris: The War.
- Maia's final words to Diana in the series finaleMaia Skouris: We are in charge now, it's better that way.
- When we finally find out why Isabelle exists:
- 30 RockJenna: I've never met Mickey Rourke.
- One Hundred Deeds For Eddie Mcdowd: Has the exchange in the first episode:Justin: I still don't get how I'm the only one who can hear you talk.
Eddie: I think it's because I hung you up from that flagpole.
- Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.:
- In "End of the Beginning": "Henote doesn't have abilities... he has security clearance. He's an agent of SHIELD."
- In "Turn, Turn, Turn:" if Coulson's Oh, Crap! face in response to Garrett saying "...that same machine she used to brainwash that bitch in the flower dress." wasn't enough, this line from Coulson was: "I never said Raina was in the machine. I never told that to anyone."
- In the episode Shadows, we get the revelation that Ward knows Skye's Disappeared Dad and just how bad Fitz's mental state in, including the fact that the "Simmons" that the audience has been seeing all episode is just a hallucination.Ward: There so much more I wanted to tell you about - [wall goes opaque and Skye walks out] - your father.
Coulson: Fitz said he could engineer cloaking, but I'm afraid he can't do anything. The damage to his temporal lobe was too extensive. He's not the same and since Simmons left, he's only getting worse.
- From Meet The New Boss:Frederick: We shouldn't have used the Darkhold.
- A Series of Unfortunate Events (2017)Mother: Children... Children? Duncan, Quigley, Isadora?
- "I've waited almost thirty years for this." "MOM?!" (Irina to Sydney, "Almost Thirty Years")
- "Congratulations sir. Phase one is complete. The Alliance is gone." (Sark to Sloane, "Phase One")
- And from the same episode: "Yes, I'm in position. Everything's in place." (Double!Francie to Sark, "Phase One")
- "Syd...since that night...you were missing. You've been missing for almost two years." (Vaughn to Sydney, "The Telling")
- "Well, for starters, my name's not Michael Vaughn." (Vaughn to Sydney, "Before the Flood") This is a Wham Line for another reason: The car they're riding in is immediately hit by a truck. End scene.
- Alphas has this exchange from "Rosetta", which was, appropriately, a Wham Episode:Gary: Anna, you work for them.
Anna: No Gary, I don't work for them. They work for me.
- In American Idol Season 8, the top 12 had just been chosen, leaving Anoop Desai, standing on the stage looking upset about not being chosen. Just as he gets ready to step off the stage, he's stopped, and given this shocking news.Simon: Anoop, I wanted to say something to you, and this is on behalf of all of us. We decided, recently...we're going to make this a top 13.
- Played for Laughs in the first episode of The Amanda Show, in a one-off skit called "A Poem By Mother Caboose". The title character (played by Amanda) reads a poem about a girl named Katie Beth Sue and the poem starts out as a Tastes Like Diabetes tale of a cute and friendly young lady. And then, with one line, the whole thing switches to Refuge in Audacity:"She lived by the shore in a quaint little hut, with a smile on her face and a SORE ON HER BUTT!"
- On Angel:
- Cordelia and Angel:Cordelia: That...you have to get. Oh, and you're welcome.
Angel: [picks up phone] Hello? Yes, I know, shes... But thats impossible, shes standing right...Im sorry. Yeah. Did, um, so when did she die? Did, she, um... She never did wake up? I see. [hangs up] Thank you.
- From one episode:Connor: [bursts through a portal and kills a monster with little effort before pointing a crossbow at Angel] Hi, Dad.
- From one episode:Cordelia: Why do you think I let him out, you stupid bitch?
- From one episode:Angel: You thought I was going to turn evil and kill my son. I didn't. It's important you know that. This isn't Angelus talking. It's me. Angel. You know that, right? Good. [starts smothering Wesley with a pillow] Son of a bitch, you are going to pay for what you did! You took my son, you son of a bitch! You bastard! You think I forgive you? Never! You're going to die, you hear me?! You're going to pay! You took my son! You took my son! You took my son! Never. Never. Never! I'll kill you! You're dead! You're a dead man, Pryce! You're dead! I'll kill you! I'll kill you! You're a dead man! Dead! Dead!
- From one episode:Fred: Who's Connor?
- From one episode:Fred: So what are you lyin' about?
Sahjhan: I don't like to brag but... read any good prophecies lately?
- From one episode:Fred: "Cavemen win. Of course the cavemen win."
- Darla to Angel:Darla: This child, Angel, is the one good thing we ever did together. The only good thing. You make sure to tell him that. [stakes herself]
- Cordelia and Angel:
- Arrested Development has a few:
- Let Them Eat Cake:Reporter: The mini-castles appear to be of American construction and also appear to be very shoddily constructed.
- Out On A Limb:Narrator: And then a loose seal bites off Buster's hand.
- Spring Break-Out:Michael: This cooler full of evidence is going straight to the police.
George: Go ahead. That should prove I'm innocent.
- Mr. F (revealing the secret from For British Eyes Only):Agent: So, this is the Leeds girl.
Frank: Don't bother. She's an MRF.
Agent: What does that mean?
Frank: Mentally Retarded Female.
- Let Them Eat Cake:
- In the episode "Betrayal"The Hood: Moira Queen! You have failed this city!
- In the season finale, when all seems over:Malcolm Merlyn: If I had learned anything since my time as a businessman, it is redundancy.
- In S02E07Moira Queen (to Malcolm Merlyn: You're alive???
Malcolm Merlyn: Imagine my joy at learning that Thea is my daughter.
- At a party, Felicity comes face to face with the Calculator, the wicked hacker that's been fighting the team.Felicity: Oh my God. Dad.
- On a rooftop, Evelyn (aka Artemis, one of the new recruits to Team Arrow) finds herself meeting the evil Prometheus.Artemis: Don't worry. They don't suspect a thing.
- In the episode "Betrayal"
- Legends of Tomorrow:
- "River of Time'' as Rip faces the Time Masters:Rip: Savage. You're in league with him.
- "Legendary" as the team asks who this stranger is:Rex: My name is Rex Tyler. I'm a member of the Justice Society of America.
- "River of Time'' as Rip faces the Time Masters:
- The Flash (2014)
- From "Out of Time":Harrison Wells: You and I have never been properly introduced. I am Eobard Thawne.
- Same episode, seconds later:Cisco: You killed Nora Allen.
Wells/Thawne: It was never my intention to kill Nora. I was there to kill Barry.
- From "Killer Frost":Acolyte: You can't make Alchemy do anything. He's just an acolyte, like me. We both serve the speed god, Savitar. He's shown us the future. I saw you there. You were glorious and powerful. My lord has special plans for you, Caitlin Snow. Or should I say... Killer Frost?
- Later in the same episode, when Julian reveals what he wants from Barry to leave the crime lab in exchange for keeping quiet about his attacker being Caitlin.Julian: Quit.
- Then there's the last words of the episode, revealing that Julian was Evil All Along -Savitar: Become my servant once more. Become... Alchemy.
- And the dramatic reveal just who Savitar really is.Barry: All this time, we thought that we couldn't stop you because you were one step ahead. But that's not it! You don't just know what's gonna happen to us...you were there...you lived it...you remember... when you were me.
- Barry confronts DeVoe about being the Thinker.Clifford DeVoe: Who's asking: Barry Allen or the Flash?
- From "Out of Time":
- "I am not Hank Henshaw... my name is J'onn J'onzz." This is particularly shocking, because Hank had been behaving suspiciously for a while now, and the audience had been seeing glimpses of him exhibiting signs of having superhuman powers. Alex's mother had also warned that Hank had something to do with Alex's father's disappearance. All of this was pointing to a reveal of Hank Henshaw being Evil All Along, and anyone with knowledge of the original comics would recognize his name as the supervillain Cyborg Superman. Instead, we learn that a government organization responsible for monitoring alien activity is secretly being led by a shapeshifting alien superhero.
- "Go get 'em, Supergirl." As said by Cat Grant in "Nevertheless, She Persisted". Normally, this wouldn't be a Wham Line - but Cat said it as soon as Kara left her.
- "Don't worry, Doctor. Everything is as it should be. The stage is set. Worlds will live. Worlds will die. And the universe will never be the same." Said by the Psycho Pirate at the very end of the Series/Elseworlds crossover event.
- Ashes to Ashes:
- "What? You expected us to disappear? In a puff of smoke? Matter meets anti-matter, time imploding on itself, that sort of thing?" (Martin Summers, 2x07, telling the Blinovitch Limitation Effect to go eff itself.)
- "Bolls! Bolly! Listen, I don't know if you can hear me, Bolls. The nurses are going to be back in a minute. I need you to wake up. What about if I gave you a slap? Would that help?" (Gene Hunt, on the television in 2008)
- "I say yes." "It's a godawful small affair, to the girl with the mousey hair..." (Shaz, 3x02)
- This bit of dialogue from the finale, though most viewers had caught on already:Gene: He didn't deserve a shallow grave, did he? Did he, Alex?
Alex: No. No you didn't.
- Ash vs. Evil Dead: From the Cliffhanger ending of "Bound in Flesh", when the ritual supposed to destroy the Necronomicon is instead clearly unleashing something:Ash: You don't know what you're doing!Ruby: Of course I know what I'm doing. I wrote this book.
- The series one finale of AtlantisPasiphae: Who is this?
Leper Leader: That is our son.
- Babylon 5:
- From the third season's penultimate episode: "Hello, I'm Anna Sheridan. John's wife."
- "The Babylon project was our last, best hope for peace...It failed."
- "It's a trank. Don't fight it, or they'll hurt you." (Garibaldi to Sheridan, as he's betraying him to the enemy)
- It's worth noting that this is only a Wham Line from Sheridan's point of view. The audience knew what was coming. However, the scene was so well constructed that the emotional impact was certainly there.
- Battlestar Galactica (2003):
- "Crossroads, Part II": "We're Cylons. And we have been from the start."Kara: "Hi Lee...It's gonna be OK. I've been to Earth. I know where it is. And I'm gonna take us there."
- Season 3's "The Eye of Jupiter" had a whopper.Tigh: They're testing us. Want to know if we're bluffing about nuking the planet.
Roslin: Well, unfortunately we are bluffing.
Adama: Are we? Mr. Hoshi... Order nuclear ground-strike missiles into launch tubes 4 through 10.
Roslin: What are you doing?
Adama: Getting ready to nuke the planet.
- From the original Battlestar Galactica pilot, after Zack's Viper is destroyed:Adar: What was that?
Adama: That was my son, Mr. President.
- "Crossroads, Part II": "We're Cylons. And we have been from the start."
- Becker: In "Subway Story", Becker went out of his way to help an old woman who was lost, finally dropping her off at the right stop before seeing her sit down. When he approaches, he learns that her son "would have been forty" that day.
- Better Call Saul: In "Pimento":Chuck: You're not a real lawyer.
- The Big Bang Theory:
Bernadette: We'll find another time to tell him I'm pregnant.
- In the Season 5 premiere, after Raj and Penny got drunk and then woke up in bed together, naked.Raj: You might like to know that, um, we didn't have sex in the conventional sense... I had trouble putting (the condom) on and you tried to help and... that was all she wrote.
- In season six, Penny finally says to Leonard those three words that he needed to hear. Important because she really means it.Penny: (to Leonard) You know I love you...
- In the season six finale, in the middle of a conversation where Raj is having an emotional breakdown, Raj mentions to Penny that he's completely sober. This means that he has finally overcome his selective mutism.Penny: Thats just the booze talking.
Raj: No, it's not! I haven't had a drink since last night!
- In a season eight episode, Howard excuses himself to take a phone call. At the end, he hangs up and looks horrified.Leonard: Hey, you okay?
Leonard: What's wrong?
Howard: My mom died.
- In the season eight finale, Amy breaks up with Sheldon over videochat. This is enough of a surprise on its own, but Sheldon's next line (and the last line of the season) might be one of the most shocking things to ever happen in the series, considering Sheldon's character up until then.Sheldon (to a small Gollum statue): Well, Gollum, you're an expert on rings. (Pulls a diamond ring in a box out of his desk drawer) So what do I do with this one? [screen cuts to black]
- In "The Valentino Submergence", Howard and Bernadette rescue a baby rabbit from their hot tub. As they coo over it, the rabbit bites Howard and he goes to the doctor to check for rabies. Bernadette then turns to the rabbit and says:
- In the Season 5 premiere, after Raj and Penny got drunk and then woke up in bed together, naked.
George: Well, this is splendid, comradely news! Together, we'll fight for king and country, and be sucking sausages in Berlin by teatime.Edmund: Yes, I hope their cafes are well stocked; everyone seems determined to eat out the moment they arrive.George: No, really, this is brave, splendid and noble! ...Sir?Edmund: Yes, Lieutenant?George: I'm... scared, sir.
- Paraphrased from "the pilot episode, just as Lord Percy is carrying the (unbeknownst to him) head of King Richard as spoils of war and believing it to be the head of another nobleman from which he can claim manhood.Blackadder(seething with anger): And just whose head is that?
- There are two in the final episode:
- While they're discussing Darling's arrival in their dugout. To this point in the episode, George has happily awaited the order to advance, going so far as to turn down an offer to leave with General Melchett before the battle.
Darling: I say, listen - our guns have stopped.George: You don't think...Baldrick: ...perhaps... the war's over? Perhaps it's peace.Darling: Thank God. We lived through it. The Great War, 1914 to 1917.
- Just before they go over the top.
- By this time in the war, the guns would still have been firing since the "Creeping Barrage" was standard practice - the artillery gradually extended the aiming point at roughly the same speed as the advancing infantry. The Artistic License involved adds to the impact of the scene because it sounds like the war's just ended - then Darling's line hits you, and you know what's just happened.
- Paraphrased from "the pilot episode, just as Lord Percy is carrying the (unbeknownst to him) head of King Richard as spoils of war and believing it to be the head of another nobleman from which he can claim manhood.
- Blade: The Big Bad Marcus van Sciver is talking to Krista about his plans. Then he suddenly grabs her throat and asks, "How long have you been working for Blade?"
- Blake's 7: "Star One", after Vila and Jenna discover that an alien invasion fleet is approaching the galaxy:Vila: Do you think Blake knows what's happening? Why hasn't he come[[ back yet? What are we supposed to do, Jenna?Jenna: Give the alarm.Vila: Terrific idea, who do you suggest we tell?Jenna: Servalan.
- Black Mirror has a doozy in "Shut Up and Dance" revealing just why Kenny is being targeted by blackmailing trolls:Other Victim: What'd they get you for?Kenny: I just looked at some photos. That's all. I just looked at one or two photos.Other Victim: Yeah. Yeah, yeah, I just looked at pictures too... how young were they? In the pictures? How young?Kenny: [Breaks down crying]Other Victim: Yeah. Well, me too.
- Boardwalk Empire:
Eddie: "There is no one. The line is dead."Al Capone: We've been on the road for eighteen hours. I need a bath, some chow...and then you and me sit down, and we talk about who dies.
- Two from "A Return to Normalcy":Lucy: (to Van Alden) You got me pregnant.Eli: (after walking into the Commodore's home) You tell him about our plan?
- From "To the Lost":"Welcome to Cicero!"
- Two from "Two Imposters":
- Two from "A Return to Normalcy":
- Bones: From the first season finale: "That... is Christine Brennan." And again in the sixth season finale. "I'm pregnant. And you're the father."
- Boy Meets World: Had "Cory, will you marry me?" from the episode "Graduation".
- Breaking Bad:
Walt: This... is not meth.
- In season 1's "Crazy Handful Of Nothin'":
Skyler: Walt, did you bring your cell phone?Walt: Which one?
- In the Season 2 finale "ABQ", while Walt is under anesthesia:
Don: Juliet-Mike-21... ...climb and maintain 17,000. Clear direct to Albuquerque via the Aircraft calling, please stand by. Jane-Mike-21, turn, heading Disregard.
- Another line later in the same episode which kickstarts the climactic plane crash:
Skyler: You're a drug dealer.
- In "No Mas":
Skyler: I fucked Ted.
- Forms the name of the episode "I. F. T.":
Hank: Since when do vegans eat fried chicken?
- The last line of the Season 4 episode "Shotgun":
Gus: If you interfere, the problem becomes much simpler. I will kill your wife. I will kill your son. I will kill your infant daughter.
- From "Crawl Space":
Walt: I won.
- From "Face Off":
Skyler: "[I'm waiting] for the cancer to come back".
- From "Fifty-One":
Hank: "To W.W. My star, my perfect silence." W.W. I mean, who do you figure that is, y'know? Woodrow Wilson? Willy Wonka?...Walter White?Walt: You got me.
- A flashback version that Hank recalls in "Gliding Over All":
Walt: If you don't know who I am, then maybe your best course would be to tread lightly.
- From "Blood Money":
Marie: Why don't you just kill yourself, Walt?
- From "Confessions":
Walt: If you're watching this tape, I'm probably dead, murdered by my brother-in-law, Hank Schrader. Hank has been building a meth empire for over a year now and using me as his chemist.
- Another one from the same episode:
Skyler: "We've come this far. For us. What's one more?"
- From "Rabid Dog":
Walt: "I think I might have another job for your uncle".
Holly: Mama, Mama, Mama.
- From "Ozymandias":
Hank: "You're the smartest guy I ever met, and you're too stupid to see... he made up his mind ten minutes ago."
Walter: I did it for me. I liked it. I was good at it. And, I was really...I was alive.
- From "Felina":
- Brooklyn Nine-Nine: In "Bureau", the 99 work with a FBI agent called Bob Anderson to figure out who within the FBI is trying to assassinate an undercover agent. Just as they've arrest the seeming culprit, this happens:Amy: Did you get the other guy?Jake: What other guy?Amy: Some guy named Bob Anderson.
A Female Voice: "Babe, are you alright? Is everything okay?"
- In "99", Charles is trying to figure out who Rosa's new boyfriend is, then this is heard on her phone:
- Buffy the Vampire Slayer:
Faith: What can I say, I'm the world's best actor.Angel: Second best.
- In "Enemies", Angel has once again turned into his evil alter ego Angelus and helps Faith with luring the others into a trap:
Buffy: You don't get it, Faith. You killed a man.Faith: No, you don't get it. I don't care.
- A couple episodes before, after Faith accidentally kills Allan Finch, Buffy confronts her about it in her motel room.
Riley: But she doesn't love me.
- From the end of "Two to Go": "I'd like to test that theory."
- In "The Replacement":
Buffy: ...oh. [cut to black]
- In the middle of season 5, Quentin Travers gets to supply the episode-ending Wham Line: "Glory isn't a demon. She's a god."
Joyce: "Buffy, if you're going out, why don't you take your sister?"Buffy and Dawn: "Mom!"
- From "What's My Line, Part 1": "I am Kendra the Vampire Slayer."
- A textbook one comes at the end of "Buffy vs. Dracula":
"I came up here to kill myself."
- "Flooded": "You're a very stupid girl." — Giles, starting a massive What the Hell, Hero? speech to Willow.
- "Seeing Red": "You think you can just do that to me? You think I'd let you get away with that? Think again!" (opens fire)
- "Your shirt."
- "Grave": "Very well. We will return... your soul." (to Spike)
- Context: Leading up to the season six finale, Spike has succumbed again to his demonic nature, attempting to rape Buffy, getting thrown out of the Scoobies, and leaving Sunnydale, promising to give Buffy what she deserves. He's shown to be fighting a series of duels to prove his worthiness in attaining something unfathomably powerful and dangerous. At long last, the mysterious holder of this devastating force agrees with Spike that he has earned his reward...
- "What'cha doing? ...Mom? ...Mom? ...Mommy?"
- Two from "Earshot":
Tara: I am, you know.
- In "Who Are You?" Tara is fretting that the Scoobies don't even know she exists. Willow assure her that she will introduce her to them, but for the moment she wants something that is just hers.
Willow: What's that?
Angel: Try to have fun without me. (leaves)Spike: (scowls, then smirks) "Oh, I will." (slowly rises to his feet, then kicks his wheelchair over) "Sooner than you think."
- Spike has a good one in Season 2: After being stuck in a wheelchair for much of the season and taking heaps of abuse from Angelus.
Dawn: "Everyday was like the end of the world. She doesn't get worked up like that over you."
- Spike in "Out Of My Mind": "Buffy, I love you. God, I love you so much. ...Oh, God, no. Please, no."
- Dawn has an inadvertent one when talking to Riley about Buffy's relationship with Angel:
Dawn: "Buffy, Spike's completely in love with you."
- Dawn has another inadvertent one in "Crush" which she says to her sister.
- In the season 3 episode "Gingerbread", the whole town goes crazy trying to avenge two dead kids believed to be murdered by witches. Buffy suddenly asks "Who are they?"
- Burn Notice:
- A number of episodes, including:
- "False Flag": "I'll do whatever you want, just don't go after my son!" or, just in case you didn't get that one, "It's a great technique, as long as you're not the someone else."
- "Breaking and Entering": "But we did meet, Michael! Tell Sam thanks for the help with the crossword."
- "Friends and Family": "They're not coming for Rufino. They're coming for you."
- "End Run": "What about Bel-Anna? I mean, Annabel."
- "Friends Like These": "The only one who knows where that ledger is is her!"
- "Enemies Closer": "I left you like three messages!"
- "Friends and Enemies": "Mike, you just burned a spy."
- "Reckoning": "This ones for my boys"
- Call the Midwife: "This... has my name on it." That's Sister Bernadette, looking at an x-ray that's positive for tuberculosis.
- Caprica: "Zoe?" said Daniel Greystone to his robot, who is being controlled by the virtual avatar of his dead daughter.
- "Tipton" - "There's rules, boy. To give life, you gotta take it from someplace else." (Rebecca Donovan, to Ben Hawkins)
- "The River" - "Privyet, Ira." (Justin to Iris, using her Russian name)
- "Day of the Dead" - "I did it for you." (Iris to Justin, confessing to setting the ministry fire)
- "New Canaan, CA" - "This is your house." (Omega!Sofie to Sofie)
Castle: The Sophia Turner I knew would never betray her country.Sophia: Well, that's the thing, Rick. (In RUSSIAN) This was never my country.
- "Sucker Punch":Dr. Murray (to Beckett): "Whoever killed Jackie Coonan also killed your mother."
- "Rise": After telling Castle she didn't remember anything about getting shot, she tells her therapist, "I remember everything."
- "Always":Castle: Beckett, what do you want?
- "The Lives of Others":Beckett and others: SURPRISE! note
- "Watershed": "Katherine Houghton Beckett, will you marry me?"
- "Bad Santa": "Mr. Castle, you are no longer permitted to work with the NYPD."
- "The GDS", after Castle watches a video from himself from his blackout period in which it's revealed he was tracking Loksat before Beckett:Castle: What happened was my fault. The murders of Beckett's former AG team...in trying to protect Beckett from Loksat, I inadvertently sentenced them all to death.
- "Sucker Punch":
Chuck: Guys, I know Kung Fu!
- "Chuck Versus the Ring" delivers a combination of Wham Line, Wham Episode given how it completely changes the dynamic for the characters.
Chuck: That's completely insane, who told you this?Daniel Shaw: I did.
- Later in season 3:
- "Okay. I got this." Spoken by Sarah, as she's given no other option than to upload the brain-damaging version of Intersect to her head, in order to save a kidnapped Chuck at the end of "Chuck Versus Bo".
Shaw: Does Chuck know about you, and the baby?
- Almost every season 5 episode ended with a wham for example, in episode 7, Sarah visits Shaw in prison.
- Season 2 finale:
- when the study group are sent to a fake psychiatrist. He was actually desperate to cover his own ass because the study group was too close to the truth.Dr. Heidi: But you can't go back to Greendale!Britta: Why, because is isn't healthy?Dr. Heidi: Because it doesn't exist.
- A few minutes later when the gang realises the jig is up, he tries again:Dr. Heidi: Greendale is purgatory and I am the Devil.Troy: I knew it...Jeff: [Slaps him] Stop letting him make you realize stuff!
- The previous episode has a genuine Wham Line:Director: Then, by order of this board, Jeff Winger, Annie Edison, Troy Barnes, Shirley Bennett, Abed Nadir, Pierce Hawthorne, and Britta Perry, you are hereby expelled from Greendale Community College.
- Season 4 finale:Pierce: I'm graduating, too!
- Season 5 premiere:Shirley: Andre left again.
- From Basic Intergluteal Numismatics:Shirley: Pierce is dead.
- Criminal Minds:
Reid: What if I had started taking Dilaudid again?JJ: But...you didn't...Reid: Yeah, but I thought about it.
- "God is in all of us." "So is Tracy Lambert." ("Lucky")
- "Hey Garcia? I've been thinkin' about doin' this all night." ("Lucky")
- "Did you get all that?" ("Masterpiece")
- "Don't tell them about your brothers." ("Bloodline")
- "You really should have taken the deal." ("...And Back")
- "There! Were! Rules!" (First season finale)
- "There won't be anyone to open that door for at least 13 minutes." Picks up picture of a previous victim "It took me less than five to do this." ("Damaged")
- From "Proof":
- "Dallas P.D. found an unidentified male body with his mouth sewn shut." ("The Apprenticeship")
- "It's Gideon." ("Nelson's Sparrow", as the team stands over a body)
Grissom: [about Sara] I took away the only person she ever loved, so she's going to do the same thing to me.
- "Living Doll", in a line that casts the previous two seasons in an entirely new light:
Pit boss: Look, Darin was the only one I talked to; I never even met the other three!
- On a smaller scale, there's this bit from "And Then There Were None." The team are pursuing Darin Hanson, a casino robber suspected of murdering his two accomplices, when they discover the one of the casino's pit bosses was in on the heist. They get more than they bargained for when interrogating him.
Jeremy: I want you to call our offices in the Far East, I want every available man sent to work, have them send you every document they can get. I want Cliff Barnes to have all he needs for a full investigation.Dave: We're changing sides? We're getting into bed with Cliff Barnes?Jeremy: I want Ewing Oil involved in a scandal so big that their charter will be revoked. I want to see the end of Ewing Oil so that I can pick up the pieces, and if J.R. Ewing goes to jail, so much the better.
- Many episodes ended with one of these:
- "New Beginnings":
Bobby: (in shower) Good morning!
- "It's Kristin, calling from California. She just gave birth to a baby boy. You have another son."
- And, of course, the series' most infamous Wham Line was one of the most innocuous two-word phrases in the English language:
- Dance Moms:
Chloe: I still wanna dance, I still wanna do this...but I don't wanna do it with her [Abby] anymore.
- The ending of season 4's "Hollywood Here We Come, Part 2" had one of the most hard-hitting lines in the entire show. The episode in and of itself was pretty sad, but it was this line that provided the final nail in the coffin:
- From season 2: "Four to six weeks, she can't dance." Kelly telling Abby how long Paige is out for her broken foot.
- David Letterman: "And now we get to, what was all the creepy stuff that he was going to put into the screenplay and the movie. And the creepy stuff was, that I have had sex with women who work for me on this show. Now, my response to that is...yes I have."
- Designated Survivor:Conspiracy Woman: Cheer up, Peter. You're about to be a heartbeat away.Peter MacLeish: And how many more good people need to be destroyed before that happens?
Charles Langdon: On the day of The State of the Union, I got a phone call from a woman I'd come to know... who had blackmail information on me, she said she had one last job for me to do.Tom Kirkman: What was it?Charles Langdon: She wanted me to name you designated survivor.
- In 'Commander-in Chief'
- Desperate Housewives: In the season 6 finale: "It's in the detonator."
- "Seeing Red": "Mommy loves you, Dexter."
- "Born Free": "Where could your brother be hiding?"
- From season 6: "Hello, Dexter Morgan." When Trinity learns that Dexter lied about who he was to investigate him.
- Dinosaurs: "Considering the thickness of the cloud cover, scientists predict it may be tens of thousands of years before the sun shines over Pangaea again." That's when you realize they're killing off the dinosaurs.
- "There are three flowers in a vase. The third flower is green."
- After that: Mellie: "I have a message for you from inside the Dollhouse."
- "Thank you."
- "Why didn't I think of that?....Did I think of that?"
- "We're ready."
- "I remember everything."
- "Where's Sierra?"
- "There are three flowers in a vase. The third flower is green."
- Downton Abbey:
- The WHAM line that kicked off the plot, when Lord Grantham reads about the Titanic.It seems James and Patrick were on board.
- The line that changed Mary's life forever. She lost her virginity to Pamuk, then...He's dead. I think he's dead. Oh, I know he's dead.
- Even if you knew this was coming, the last line from the first series changes everything:Robert: I am sorry to announce that we are at war with Germany.
- The Reveal of Sybil and Branson's secret relationship in the season 2 premiere.Sybil: It's hard letting you go. My last link with home.Branson: Not as hard as it is for me.
- The WHAM line that kicked off the plot, when Lord Grantham reads about the Titanic.
- EastEnders:Zoe: You can't tell me what to do, you ain't my mother!Kat: Yes I am!
- Elementary: "Then a few hours ago, she tried to have me killed." (Not so much who says it than who they're talking about. At this point, Sherlock had suspected that his former lover Irene Adler was secretly working for Dr. Moriarty. Even he was shocked to realize that Dr. Moriarty and Irene Adler are the same person.)
- Faking It: After Amy and Lauren figure out that Amy's mom is cheating, Lauren demands they open up and show themselves.Man: Hi, honey.Amy: Dad?note
- Noranti whispers in Crichton's ear : "Aeryn...is...with child." Naturally this is followed seconds later by Moya being swallowed into a wormhole, and then John is unable to contact Aeryn for "some time" (long enough for him to grow an impressive beard, at least).
- "I condemn you, John Crichton...to live! So that your lust for unfulfilled revenge...will consume you."
- Crichton attempts to return to Moya from Einstein's realm via wormhole fails, taking him to (1980s) Earth instead. "Whoops."
- Father Ted: Dear Ted you have an until next week to . . . kick Bishop Brennan up the arse!
- Firefly: At the end of "Heart of Gold": "I'm leaving."
- FlashForward (2009):
- D. Gibbons is a bad man.
- Message received.
- Frasier: Frasier is high on painkillers as Daphne gives him a massage in "Back Talk". The following lines even shocked the studio audience, who gave out a loud GASPDaphne: When I said to your father "Dr. Crane's in love with me," he said it's been going on for six years now. What did he mean by that?Frasier: (dreamily) Oh that... he meant Niles.(Kaboom!)Daphne: What?!Frasier: (dreamily) Niles... he's crazy about you.
Frasier: No! Listen, everybody, I am not the father of Roz's baby! In fact, we don't even know for sure if there is a baby!Roz: [appearing] We do now.
- What makes Frasier's line particularly whammy is that it comes in the middle of a comedy of misunderstandings plot (Daphne overhears Frasier saying he loves her, not realizing he didn't mean it in a romantic sense), which were very typical of Frasier, and which were usually resolved by the end of the episode so that status quo could return. The viewers most likely didn't predict that a simple line in a seemingly throwaway scene in a seemingly generic episode would finally lead to resolving the UST between Niles and Daphne that had been going on for over six seasons.
- Later, after Frasier tells Niles that Daphne is in love with him in the second part of "Something Borrowed, Someone Blue", another wham line caused the studio audience to GASP! again, even more shocked. After Daphne told Niles how upset she was that Frasier told him how she felt about him, Niles responded, "No, Daphne, I'm glad he told me - because I love you."
- In "Halloween", when everyone is speculating on who Roz's baby's father is, after Frasier blows the secret that Roz might be pregnant.
Pilot: Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to Chicago.Frasier: ...wish me luck.
- Not to mention the words the series ends on:
- Season 1 - "Remember when Ross first fell in love with Carol and he bought her this ridiculously expensive crystal duck?"
- Season 2 - "You're over me?"
- Season 3 - "You told Rachel?" "Was I not supposed to?"
- And: "I'm your mother."
- Season 4 - "I take thee, Rachel".
- Which was preceded by another wham in the very same episode - "Do you think he knew I was here?"
- Season 5 - "Well, hello, Mrs. Ross!"
- Preceded by - "It's a four."
- Season 6 - "I can't believe you're gonna propose to Monica."
- Also: "You wanted it to be a surprise"
- Season 7 - "I didn't take a pregnancy test."
- Season 8 - "OK." note
- "Hey, my sweater!"
- Season 9 - "There's a good chance this may never happen for us." note
- Season 10 - "Did she get off the plane?!" "I did get off the plane."
- Preceded by - "The next baby should be along in a minute."
- Earlier in the season: "WE'RE GETTING A BABY!"
- Fringe: During the third season's 19th episode, after Peter and Walter successfully rescued Olivia from the confines of her mind, Peter comes to visit her to see if she's okay. He notices a drawing of "Man X" whom they met aboard the zeppelin, and Peter asks who he is...Olivia: I dunno, I never met him before. But, I think he's the man who's gonna kill me.
- Which turns out to be one of the only plot threads not resolved series by the end, never coming to anything even during the final season's time skip.
- Game of Thrones:
- "Cripples, Bastards and Broken Things":Catelyn [about Tyrion]: This man came into my house as a guest and there conspired to murder my son, a boy of ten. In the name of King Robert and the good lords you serve, I call upon you to seize him and help me return him to Winterfell to await the king's justice.
- "You Win or You Die":Renly: (Stannis) is not a king. I am.Littlefinger: I did warn you not to trust me.
- "The Pointy End":Robb: They want me to go to King's Landing, I'll go to King's Landing. But not alone; call the banners.
- "Baelor":Joffrey: Ser Ilyn, bring me his head.
- "Fire and Blood":Greatjon: "There sits the only king I mean to bend my knee to; The King in the North!"
- "A Man Without Honor":Pyat: When I learned you were coming to our city, I made an arrangement with the king of Qarth. He procured them for me.
Dany: There is no king of Qarth.
Xaro: There is now. That was the other half of the arrangement.
- "The Prince of Winterfell":Cersei: I have your little whore.
- Later subverted, however, as it turns out that Cersei got the wrong one.
- "Valar Morghulis":Grenn: Three blasts.Daenerys: Dracarys.
- "And Now His Watch Is Ended":Daenerys: Zaldrīzes buzdari iksos daor.note .Ramsay: I brought him back. He killed the others. (beat) Put him back where he belongs.
- "Kissed By Fire":Tywin: (to Cersei) Tyrion will do as he's bid. As will you. [...] You'll marry Ser Loras.
- "The Climb":Ramsay: You forgot to ask if I was a liar.
- "The Rains of Castamere":Walder Frey: My king is married and I owe my new queen a wedding gift.
- A bit earlier, the execution of Rains of Castamere counts as Wham Music.Roose Bolton: The Lannisters send their regards.
- A bit earlier, the execution of Rains of Castamere counts as Wham Music.
- "The Lion and the Rose":Cersei: He poisoned my son. Take him. Take him!
- "Oathkeeper":Olenna Tyrell: You didn't think I would let you marry that beast, did you?
- "First of His Name":Lysa Arryn: [to Littlefinger]: What wife would've done for you the things I've done for you? What wife would trust you the way I trusted you? When you gave me those drops and told me to pour them into Jon's wine, my husband's wine? When you told me to lie to Cat that it was the Lannisters...
- "Mockingbird":Oberyn: I will be your champion.Littlefinger: Your sister.
- "The Children": Cersei reveals the truth to TywinCersei: Everything they say about Jaime and me is true... your legacy is a lie!
- "Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken":Ramsay: Take off your clothes.
- "The Gift". The High Sparrow turns against Cersei."What will we find when we strip away your finery?"
- "The Dance of Dragons": "Forgive me." When Stannis says this to Shireen, it becomes clear that he has decided to sacrifice her.
- "Mother's Mercy":A post reads: Traitor.
- "The Door":
- "The Winds of Winter":
- [Arya disguised as a wench serves Lord Walder's sons in a pie] "But they are already here, my lord. Here, my lord."
- Ellaria and Varys convince Olenna Tyrell to side with Daenerys: "Vengeance. Justice. Fire and Blood"Lyanna Mormont: I don't care that he's a bastard. Ned Stark's blood runs through his veins. He is my king, from this day until my last day.Lyanna Stark: If Robert finds out, he'll kill him. You know he will. You have to protect him. Promise me, Ned. Promise me. [cuts from her baby's face to Jon Snow's]Qyburn: [just before killing Pycell] Whatever your faults, you don't deserve to die alone in such a cold, dark place.Qyburn: Cersei of House Lannister, the first of her name. Queen of the Seven Kingdoms and Protector of the Realm.
- "Eastwatch":Gilly: It says he issued an annulment for Prince Ragger and married someone else at a secret ceremony in Dorne.
- 7x07: "The Dragon and the Wolf":Sansa Stark: [seemingly judging her sister Arya] You stand accused of murder, you stand accused of treason. How do you answer these charges... Lord Baelish?Bran Stark: Robert's Rebellion was built on a lie. (Rhaegar) didn't kidnap my aunt or rape her. He loved her. And she loved him.
- "Cripples, Bastards and Broken Things":
- Girl Meets World:
- 2x12: "Girl Meets Yearbook":Maya: We have so much in common Lucas! It's like you're my brother! It's like you're my...Oh.note .
- 2x12: "Girl Meets Yearbook":
- From the episode "Furt":Kurt: It's good to know that I have friends here at McKinley, as well as a true brother. Which is why it's so difficult to leave.
- Also from "Rumours":Finn: Then why were you in that motel?!Sam: Because that's where I live now! My dad lost his job a few months ago, then we lost our house, so now we live in that motel in one room.
- Hilariously a Subverted Trope in a first season episode, however. When asked if she and Puck are dating, Santana replies "Sex is not dating." Brittany adds, "If it were, Santana and I would be dating." There's a long silence...then everyone else continues as if she never said anything, apparently not wanting to touch Brittany's contribution with a ten-foot pole. Brittany and Santana's relationship is barely even mentioned again until nearly a season later.
- From the episode "Furt":
- Gamer's Guide to Pretty Much Everything has perhaps the shortest Wham Line ever:Ashley: I'm in.
- The Golden Girls':
- From "Letters to Gorbachev":Blanche: [reading Rose's letter about nuclear war] It scares the girls in my cadet troop, too. They talk about what they want to be... if they grow up, not when they grow up.
- From "Letters to Gorbachev":
- In the Good Luck Charlie episode "Girl Bites Dog":Teddy: ... I didn't know you were hisnote cousin.
- Good Girls Revolt:
- I, uh, I never had any problems after. Cindy's had abortions in the past. All throughout the first season there have been more and more hints that she doesn't want/feel ready for a child, but this radically alters the perception of her character, showing how proactive and goal-oriented she really is and has been for a while.
- The Good Place:
- "Tahani al-Jamil" has The Reveal for Jianyu's real identity: "I'm not supposed to be here either. I don't know how I got here, I have no idea what's going on, and I am freakin' out, homie!"
- "What We Owe to Each Other" has Michael seeming to realize that Eleanor is the problem that's been causing the Neighborhood to go haywire, and we're expecting him to out her to the assembled crowd at the end. Instead he says, "The problem ... is me! And now I have to leave you, forever."
- This previous Wham Line gets flipped around at the end of the next episode, "The Eternal Shriek". By the end of the episode, Michael no longer believes he's the cause of the Neighborhood's problems, but is still clueless that Eleanor is the cause. Things seem poised to return to the status quo, until Eleanor stands up and confesses, "Michael, the problem in the Neighborhood ... is me. I was brought to the Good Place by mistake; I'm not supposed to be here."
- And probably the most Whammy five words in the series: "This is The Bad Place." With that one line, we go from watching a charming sitcom about a woman who ended up in Heaven by mistake to watching a chilling drama about four people who are being tortured in Hell while being made to believe that they're in Heaven. (Although one that still has a lot of jokes.)
- That may be topped in season 3's "Janet(s)" as Michael goes to the office where the "number crunching" to determine who gets into the Good Place is made. He starts pressing on the latest entries only to find they can't find any. Michael asks point blank when the last time someone got into the Good Place was. After some checking, the clerk responds: 521 years ago.
- Grey's Anatomy:
- In the last five minutes of the series 5 finale. "Oh... oh... seven. Double-oh seven?"
- "I'm Lexie. Lexie Grey."
Woman in Black: (whom Nick has just been trying to fight, unsuccessfully, while she takes down a villain) Nick! Nicky!Nick: Mom?!
- Season 1's cliffhanger wham line:
Juliette: "Who said I needed anyone's help?"
- Season 4:
- Hammer House of Horror:
- "Rude Awakening": "I can't help you, Mr. Shenley. You see, I'm dead."
- Said to Audrey in "Spiral": "I'm Special Agent Audrey Parker. Who the hell are you?"
- The letter Duke finds in "Business As Usual": "Duke- If youre reading this, then I havent survived. You are my Son. My heir. Its up to you to finish my work. You must kill her." Attached to the letter is a picture of Audrey.
- Two in "301". The kidnapper telling Audrey, "Did you think you're the only one who loved the Colorado Kid!?" When the group finds "Find him before The Hunter." inscribed in the Colorado Kid's empty coffin, they question who wrote it, and Audrey answers, "I did. This is my handwriting."
- Duke explaining to Audrey in "Stay" that when a meteor shower called "The Hunter" occurs in 49 days, she will disappear again.
- Hawaii Five-0: At the very end "Ua Hala", the second-season finale of the reimagined show, McGarrett finally gets the answer to that season's Driving Question: Who is Shelburne?McGarrett: Mom?note .
- "I work for your father." Said by the supposedly mute Hatian.
- "Tou-san?" Said by Hiro to the mysterious man who has just kidnapped him. For those not up on their Japanese, it means "Dad?"
- "We need to talk, Nathan." Said by Claire's biological mother when she manages to track her biological father down on the phone.
- "I already have you... Mr. Sylar." Said by Mohinder to Sylar, who he has up to now been tricked into believing is named Zane Taylor.
- "You may as well come inside, Claire." Said by Mama Petrelli the first time she meets Claire, the granddaughter she supposedly knew nothing about.
- "There are things you need to hear. Things I know about you. ... That you can fly, for instance?" Said by Mr. Linderman to Nathan.
- "I know you're there, Peter." Said by one of the characters when Peter is having what appears to be a Pensieve Flashback.
- "Turns out you're the villain. I'm the hero." Said by Sylar to Peter.
- Homecoming: In "Test" (1x07), when Heidi calls her boss Colin asking him for permission to reduce her patients' dosage now that the medication is beginning to adversely affect their memories:Colin: Ill present this to the DOD, and they are going to open the fucking hose! Well be able to deploy these guys way sooner than we thought!
Walter: What's Titanic Rising?
- Earlier, Heidi is talking to Walter in a counseling session, the two getting along well. Heidi then asks Walter about the prank he played on a fellow soldier making up a movie called "Titanic Rising" and how he loved it...only to met by a blank stare.
"God, you were right... it's House."
- "Three Stories":
"God doesn't limp."
- "Cain and Able":
Wilson: (to Tritter) "I'm gonna need my thirty pieces of silver."
- "Finding Judas":
"What's my necklace made of?"
- "House's Head'':
Amber: (to House) "Solved another case, busted Wilson. Looks like you're not losing it after all."
Amber: So this is the story you made up about who you are. It's a nice one.
- "Both Sides Now":
Kutner: Too bad it isn't true.
Wilson: "I have cancer."House: SHUT UP YOU IDIOT.
- "Body and Soul":
- Many episodes featured the Wham Line "you're dying" or something to that effect. Sometimes they really were dying, but it was usually the penultimate diagnosis and was followed by a Eureka Moment in which House had an epiphany and came up with the correct diagnosis. Cue happy, or, at worst, Bitter Sweet Ending.
- House of Anubis:
- Towards the beginning of Season 1, while Nina, Fabian and Amber are listening to the recordings:Young Sarah: He's coming!Victor: It's ten O'clock. You have five minutes precisely, and then I want to hear a pin drop.
- Towards the end of the first season:Jerome: (On the phone) Hello, is this Rufus Zeno?
- The beginning of season 2:Vera: (on the phone) Hello? I'm in.
- Jerome and Mara reading a letter from Trudy in the middle of season 2:Mara: Jerome, look! The first letter of each line.Jerome: ...Help Me.
- The finale of season 2, discussing Senkhara wanting the Mask of Anubis, despite not having a body to wear it with:Patricia: She's not going to wear it. She's going to make Nina wear it.
- The middle of season 3:KT: Why would Victor let me leave so easily, if they needed me for the ceremony?
- Eddie having a vision in the middle of the season:Frobisher-Smythe: There's a viper in your nest.
- The end of season 3, after Eddie and KT plant the Staff of Osiris to defeat Team Evil:Frobisher-Smythe: (laughing the rest of the sinners) I needed that staff to awaken Ammut, and you two just completed it for me!
- Halfway through The Touchstone Of Ra:Fabian: Anyone who's ever held the stone...Turns to stone.
- Towards the beginning of Season 1, while Nina, Fabian and Amber are listening to the recordings:
- House of Cards (US):
Raymond Tusk: The President values my advice, and he tends to follow it. Like when I advised him not to make you Secretary of State.
- Towards the end of Chapter 12, the penultimate episode of Season 1.
Frank Underwood: But of course it makes sense that they would have haunted me, because... it's all true.
- Episode 10, Season 4.
Claire: Just to be clear, it's not that I haven't always known you were there.
- Episode 11, Season 5, Claire is walking to the halls, steps back and addresses the camera.
- How I Met Your Mother:
Ted: Because that kids... is the true story, of how I met your aunt Robin.
- At the end of the pilot, Future!Ted delivers the First-Episode Spoiler after we are lead to assume that the attractive journalist he went on a date with is the mother:
Lily: Something's happened. Your father had a heart attack, and... he didn't make it.Marshall: M-my dad's dead?Not only a wham line for the audience, but for the actor; Jason Segel was not told this line before Alyson Hannigan delivered it. What aired is the only take.
- From "Bad News":
Robin: Whatever. It's better this way. No one holding me back, no one preventing me from travelling where I want to travel, going where I want to go. That's why I'm glad you're not real.[the kids fade away, leaving Robin all alone]Robin: Really glad.
- And prior to that, in "Canning Randy", Zoey has got Ted's architecture class to abandon him and turn against him after he wanted the Arcadian to be blown up while they didn't. When asked if he has anything to say for himself, what's his response? "Anyone not in class tomorrow gets an F." And it works.
- An absolutely heartbreaking one at the end of Symphony of Illumination. The episode features Robin telling her kids how she met their father, despite the entire episode revolving around Robin finding out she can't have kids. The audience sees Robin's kids as she tells the story. At the very end...
Barney: Turn it overThe words written on the back of Barney's Final Play "The Robin" are: "Step 16: Hope she says 'yes'"Robin: Yes.
- In The Final Page Part 2
Barney: Ted, this moment is already gone.
- In "The Time Travelers"
The Mother: Hi. One ticket to Farhampton please?
- The very end of "Something New"
Penny: No. This is a story about how you're totally in love with Aunt Robin... C'mon, Dad. Mom's been gone for six years now. It's time.
- Several in the last season, and the finale "Last Forever", but the series can probably be boiled down to one last revelation...
Barney: You're lame, okay? You're just some lame suburban dad.Jerome: Why does that make you so mad?Barney: Because if you were gonna be some lame suburban dad, why couldn't you have been that for me?!
- Throughout the episode when Barney meets his biological father for the first time since he was a little kid (and the first time knowing the man was his father and not his uncle), Barney spins a story for his friends about his dad still being a hard-partying badass, and when this lie is exposed, spends the episode being disappointed that it's not true. One might write it off as Barney being Barney, until...
- How to Get Away with Murder:
Annalise: [To Sam] Why is your penis on a dead girl's phone?
- The trailers for the fourth episode, "Let's Get To Scooping", advertised that the last nine words of the episode would make your jaw drop. And they weren't wrong:
- Bonnie's reveal at the end of "He Deserved To Die" that Lila was six weeks pregnant before she died.
- I Dream of Jeannie: Major Tony Nelson almost blew it in one of the final episodes when he introduced Jeannie to Gen. Schaffer and Dr. Bellows:
- Tony: I'd like you to meet my fiancee.
- The Inside:
- "Everyone is here. The ninth victim is Margaret Alvarez." - Web, "New Girl in Town"
- And later in the episode: "You expect us to believe Alvarez did this to herself?" - Danny
- "Him! That's the voice! Real distinctive voice." - The witness in "Thief of Hearts" fingers Web as the guy who bribed her.
- "Everyone is here. The ninth victim is Margaret Alvarez." - Web, "New Girl in Town"
- JAG: In "Desert Son", after Boone has been found to blame for the mishap, Williams is out spotting for artillery strikes again, and remarks that he never knew how much better he'd be at spotting artillery simply by doing it while sober. The corporal riding in the humvee with him is stricken speechless by the implications of this remark.
- On The Jeffersons episode "They Don't Make Preachers Like Him Anymore, Florence is rocked when a visiting minister steals the money intended for a church group trip. In a church alone, Florence rails about it and considers quitting completely. The friendly Reverend Taylor arrives to give her a talk on faith that raises her spirits. Coming home, Florence tells Louise about the chat she just had with Taylor and how he knew just what to say. She heads to her room and misses the baffled looks Louise and George share.George: How could Florence talk to Reverend Taylor when his sister said he passed away in his sleep four hours ago?
- In another episode, a branch of the Ku Klux Klan establishes itself in the building around the same time as a rash of burglaries has been occurring, leading to George inadvertently attending a KKK meeting. It's a comedy of errors at first, but then the leader of the meeting has a heart attack. George jumps to the rescue and performs CPR, and as the paramedics take the leader away, his son tells him that George is the one who saved his life. His response? "You should have let me die." It also qualifies in-universe, as the idea of this man hating black people so much that he would choose death over their company dissolves the Klan chapter, including his son.
- Wham Line Generator of a miniseries. "They've turned off the cameras... all of them. Nobody can see or hear us... suckers."
- "I'd forgotten the room number," "You know what? HE didn't..."
- "I don't own a black van."
- (To Claire, after her sons have been taken away, supposedly to get breakfast) "In the meantime, Id offer you breakfast, but the truth is we dont have any."
- "Tom Jackman isnt a clone, Claire. You are."
- "Hyde... is love. And love is a psychopath."
- "Oh I expect I did, I must check."
- After Denver is nuked, a group of people are listening to an answering machine message where Dale's mother describes seeing the explosion, cut off as she's incinerated. "I didn't even know your mother was in Denver." "She was in Atlanta." Cue freakout.
- In Black Jack, as they're looking at the map of the US. "But there are six stars up there? Where's the president?" "Which one?"
- Joan of Arcadia loved these.
- "I DID THIS!"—Kevin admitting that he is the guilty party regarding the accident that left him paralyzed: he and his friend were drinking at a party, and rather than be responsible and tell his friend not to drive, he let him get behind the wheel.
- "But today I hate my breasts...because I just found out my mother has breast cancer."—After an Alpha Bitch plays a mean-spirited prank on Joan, she and her friends conspire to steal the teen's diary and read it to the whole school (despite God warning her not to seek revenge). They share the mean girl's embarrassing secrets, then start to read a passage out loud to the cafeteria...and discover the diagnosis listed above.
- "When I found out you would never walk again, I was happy."—Luke, to Kevin, revealing that he resented constantly being in his big brother's shadow and was glad to hear that he was paralyzed.
- "...It was evil. And I don't throw that word around."—God (in the form of a businessman) telling Joan about some violent paintings her mother Helen's created in college (Joan found the paintings earlier, but her mother wouldn't talk to her about them). They were Helen's method of coping after being raped by a stranger in her bed.
- "She would have been the first to go."—God, in the form of an elderly woman, explaining why she had Joan take a troubled teen to a school dance: if she hadn't, he would have brought a gun to school and killed students, teachers, and himself.
- "I missed you...": God tells Joan that he wants her to help a nerdy boy win the student council presidency. He's running against a popular jock, and Judith convinces Joan to follow the athlete around to get some dirt on him (especially because the jock had told everyone in school that his rival's father was in jail). Joan and Judith see their target headed for the football field, where he meets another (male) teen that Judith says is a known drug dealer—all they need is a picture. Then the jock says the above line, the two tenderly caress, and we realize what his real secret is.
- Kamen Rider Decade:
- Connected to Shinkenger below: Genta encounters Kaito, who steals the Ika Origami and calls himself a "passing-through Kamen Rider". Genta's response? "What's a Kamen Rider?" The World of Shinkenger/Super Sentai World is a World Without a Kamen Rider.
- Wataru has just revealed that by Decade's efforts the nine Riders Decade has aided will live through their stories. When asked about Decade, his answer: "Decade... does not have a story."
- Additionally, his line towards Decade in the finale regarding his mission: "Do you remember my words? You needed to destroy all Kamen Riders. Instead you became comrades with them. That was...a big mistake."
- Kamen Rider Faiz: "On that day, we all died."
- Law & Order: Criminal Intent:
Goren: If you can't remember anything about the attack, then who told you about the sand?Jane Stevens: Detective Marston.
- Law & Order: Special Victims Unit: "Liv, Elliot put in his papers." And so, the central duo we've been following since the premiere is no more. (Although the effect is lessened by the announcement that Christopher Meloni would not be returning.)
Nate: Ms. Walton, what color is my tie?
- From "The Lost Heir Job":
Ruth Walton: My lawyer? I never met her before this week. She told me she was with you.
- Also from "The Lost Heir Job":
Nate: My name is Nathan Ford...and I am a thief.
- The Season 2 finale:
Damien Moreau: That's no way to treat an old friend.
- From "The Big Bang Job":
Jimmy Ford: I took this job for you, dammit!
- "The Radio Job":
Jimmy: Tell 'em stories about me. Tell 'em tell 'em how much Jimmy Ford loves his son.
- Another one from "The Radio Job":
Ellen Casey: Mr. Ford, how did your friends die?
- "The Long Goodbye Job":
- The League of Gentlemen:Iris: At least my husband's still alive.
Judy: (to Iris) Mum!
- Shortly followed by:
Hilary Briss: One of us had to stay in control.
- And then there's this.
- Life on Mars (2006):
- "Series 2, Episode 8":Sam Tyler: I can't feel anything.
- "Series 2, Episode 8":
- "I need to talk to you."
- "Jack! One of them isn't on the manifest. He wasn't on the plane."
- It belonged to the man I killed!!!
- "The Others are coming."
- "Only, the thing is...we're gonna have to take the boy."
- "I think I crashed your plane."
- "Ignore everything I'm saying."
- "Interesting theory... LIGHT 'EM UUUUUUPPPPPP!!!!"
- "What-what boat?"
- "What... friends?"
- "Who's Aaron?"
- "We have to move the island."
- "Yes, I was here 30 years ago. And I do. I remember these people. I remember meeting them very clearly because...I watched them all die."
- - "Why are we going to Jacob?" - "So I can kill him."
- "It's good to see you out of those chains, Richard."
- "Always nice talking to you, Jacob."
- "I'm sorry you had to see me like that."
- "You don't have a son."
- "We have to go back, Kate... we have to go back!"
- "Are you Jack? My name's Daniel Farraday; I'm here to rescue you..."
- "I'm here Charles to tell you that I'm going to kill your daughter."
- "How are you here?"
- Mad Men:
- "Hello. This is Dick. I want to talk to you."
- "She has cancer, Don."
- "Would you say I know something about you, Don?" with the follow up: "After all, who's really signing this contract anyway?"
- "Well, if you want to break your contract agreement and sell insurance, go ahead." "I don't have a contract."
- From the first season : "Mr. Campbell ... who cares?"
- Magnum, P.I.: "Ivan...Did you see the sun rise this morning?"
- "I have a message: Lt. Col. Henry Blake's plane was shot down over the Sea of Japan. It spun in...There were no survivors."
- "I did not—I—I just wanted it to be quiet. It was—it was a baby! She, she smothered her own baby. You son of a bitch, why did you make me remember that?"
- The Mentalist:
Todd Johnson: Tyger, tyger. note
- Season three, episode nine (Red Moon):
- Season five, episode nine (Red Sails in the Sunset):Lorelei Martins (about Red John and Jane): I only wonder why the two of you didn't become lifelong friends the moment you shook hands.
- The young druid boy's words "My name is Mordred" ends the scene with a sinister reminder that this little boy will one day kill Arthur.
- "You can't control my feelings anymore than I can. I won't deny them any longer - I love her. I love Guinevere." There was no going back after that outburst.
- "There can be no place for magic in Camelot." It's not so much the line as who's saying it.
- Mister Rogers' Neighborhood:
- Not the main show itself, but in a night-time 6-minute sketch made in response to the death of Bobby Kennedy. The sketch starts off with Daniel Striped Tiger asking Lady Aberline if people are like balloons; if they lose all their air when they breathe out, do they go limp, like the balloon he had her blow up, then deflate. She explains that no, people aren't like balloons - when they breathe out, they also breathe in new air, which she demonstrates for Daniel by blowing up the balloon, then inhaling through her nose. After doing this three times, Daniel asks the question that we thought we'd never hear him say: "What does 'assassination' mean?" Wow.
- Motive would frequently have these - one could argue that the 'Victim/Killer' lines at the very beginning of each episode qualify as Wham Lines. However, there are still some significant ones.
- "Angels with Dirty Faces" (2x08)Angie: Olivia Dent's your mother.
- "The Glass House" (3x04)"How did Sophie get that scar on her lip? Where? When? A father would know."
- "A Problem Like Maria" (3x13)"That isn't Maria Snow."
- "Angels with Dirty Faces" (2x08)
- Mr. Robot:
- "wh1ter0se" (1x08):Darlene: Did you forget me again?
- "m1rr0r1ng" (1x09):Darlene: Who are you talking to?
- "h4ndshake" (2x07) has two:"When you see Whiterose, make sure you say I did good," and "Where do you think you are right now?"
- From the season 2 finale, "pyth0n-p2":Angela: Tyrell, you did what you needed to do.
- Also from "pyth0n-p2":Tyrell: I love him.
- From the season 3 finale, "shutdown-r":Price: (to Angela) I met your mother, Emily, thirty-two years ago.
- Also from "shutdown-r":Darlene: You took your baseball bat, and you smashed the window, and then you kept telling Dad you were gonna jump.
- "wh1ter0se" (1x08):
- Mortal Kombat: Conquest:
- Shao Khan: You're already in Outworld!
- Mystery Science Theater 3000:
- "Could you guys sign my time card?"
- Possibly a better line: "Say Mike, what size jumpsuit do you wear?"
- Nash Bridges:Nick: Nice girl. Tell me, where do we know her from? note
- Nashville:Olivia Wentworth: (to Juliette) I know you're sleeping with my husband. But what I don't understand is why you're not sleeping with me. (She then kisses her.)
- "Tell me everything you know about this...NCIS." Saleem to a captive Ziva at the end of season 6.
- "It's nice to meet you, Antony DiNardo." A freaking international arms dealer to Tony, proving that his relationship with Jeanne was an undercover assignment.
- A quieter one from Abby: "But they would have adopted a child. And they did. Me... I'm adopted, Gibbs."
- In "The Janus List", someone is reading off the eponymous master list of double agents:"Colby Granger, FBI, also working for the Chinese."
- In "The Janus List", someone is reading off the eponymous master list of double agents:
- The Office:Brian (aka boom-mic guy): Hey Pam... you ok?
- The infamous season three finale "Casino Night." Jenna Fischer's reaction was so convincing that there was a rumor that she hadn't been given that page of the script and was unaware of what John Krasinski was about to say, just like her character:Jim: [to Pam] Hey, can I talk to you about something? (...) I was just... I'm in love with you.
- The infamous season three finale "Casino Night." Jenna Fischer's reaction was so convincing that there was a rumor that she hadn't been given that page of the script and was unaware of what John Krasinski was about to say, just like her character:
- Once Upon a Time has these in spades:
- The very last line of the second episode, "The Thing You Love Most":Gold: *to Regina* You'll have to excuse me...please.
- Following up on the above in "Skin Deep":Regina: What is your name?
- From "A Land Without Magic", the reveal of Rumplestiltskin's endgame for the season:Gold: Magic is coming.
- Doubling as a Wham Shot from "We Are Both", the reveal of Emma and Snow's cellmate:Emma: Who are you?
- The reveal of Greg and Tamara's boss- and Season 3's villain- in the final scene of "And Straight On 'Til Morning":Felix: Peter Pan never fails.
- From "The Heart of the Truest Believer", just as Henry thinks he's escaped the Lost Boys, his new ally drops this bombshell:
- Emma's breakup with her new boyfriend in "New York City Serenade" takes an unexpected turn:Emma: I wish you could see this the way I do.
- As "There's No Place Like Home" draws to an ending, a wrench is thrown into Regina's newfound relationship with Robin:Robin: Marian?
- From "Heroes and Villains", Gold's attempt to kill Hook doesn't go as planned:Gold: Why can't I crush his heart?
- From "Poor Unfortunate Souls", August reveals that the answers the group have been seeking have been Hidden in Plain Sight:"The Author was trapped inside the book."
- The ultimate fate of Maleficent's daughter in "Best Laid Plans":Adoption Agent: What are you going to name her?Adoptive Parent: Lilith. We're going to name her Lily.
- Robin reveals why he refuses to leave Zelina in "Lily":
- From "Dark Swan", Emma reveals to her parents what exactly happened in the missing six weeks of their memory:
- "Changelings" has two in the last few minutes of the episode.
Black Fairy: It can't be...Rumplestiltskin: Oh, but I'm afraid it can...mother.
- The first, in the flashback section, finally explains Rumplestiltskin's longstanding hatred of fairies:
Evil Queen: I wanted to see what happened when you poisoned your love.
- And the second, in the present day section, casts the preceding events of the episode in a rather different light:
- From "The Final Battle Part 2"- the last episode before the pseudo-reboot of Season 7- we get the reveal of how exactly the little girl from the opening scene ties into the plot:
- The very last line of the second episode, "The Thing You Love Most":
- One Foot in the Grave:
Pippa: No, I don't think you understand, Margaret. My breath test was positive.
- In "The Man In The Long Black Coat", when Pippa is in hospital following a road accident and Margaret says that drunk drivers should be locked away for life, this Wham Line (which actually gets a big laugh):
Margaret: And thirdly, as my husband's now been dead for five months...
- The opening scene of the final episode.
Mrs. Warboise: Well, look at them Look at them, Alfonso! They are both left shoes!
- From One Foot in the Algarve
- Orphan Black:
- Season 1, episode 3: "We're clones... and they're killing us off." Averted by the fact that the ad campaign for the show repeated the line like crazy.
- Season 1, episode 9: "I had twins".
- Season 2, episode 10: "While Dyad carried the females to term, the military faction carried the males."
- Person of Interest:
- Season 1 finale. Turing introduces herself to Finch. "You can call me Root."
- Also from the Season 1 finale; "He's in danger now because he was working for you. And now you're going to help me get him back."
- At the end of Zero Day: "Can...you...hear...me?"
- Season 3 finale. Root warns Reese and Finch "Get out of the library. It isn't safe there anymore."
- Power Rangers:Jason: Not all of them. Still have one. [holds up the weakened Dragonzord coin][back at the Youth Center]Tommy: Where's everybody?Billy: What I'm trying to say is that I think its time to pass the power to someone else. Tanya, I'm giving my Zeo crystal to you.Justin: Guys, I'm the new Blue Ranger! Isn't that cool or what?
TJ: Justin, we're missing someone!Justin: He... he can't go with you, there's reasons.Andros (to Astronema): You are my sister.Maya: We've landed on Miranoi!Carter: Why, sir? Why did you stop us?Cpt. Mitchell: Because, he's my son.Mack: Good thing. (laughs) Good thing. (laughs) Good thing. (laughs) Good thing. (laughs) Good thing. (laughs) Good thing. (laughs) Good thing...Gem: But we don't...Gemma: ...have access to Alphabet Soup's security computers.Dr. K: I don't need access, I just need to blind the servers for a few minutes, with this: (opens laptop) a wireless upload of the Venjix virus. It's a self-aware, self-generating computer virus. Meet Project Venjix.Gosei: "Rangers, morph now!"Troy: [visibly confused] What? Why?Gosei: "MORPH! MORPH! MORPH!"
- "Chase Into Space"
- "Sundowner":Jesse: Go to Hell, Eugene!
- Princess Returning Pearl:
- If my mothers story is true, then my father is none other than the current emperor.
- Xiao Yan Zi, I am your brother.
- Profit: In the pilot, Jim Profit is visited in his office by a mysterious sultry-looking woman who immediately walks up to him and shoves her tongue down his throat. His following response is exactly this trope:Jim Profit: Hi mom.
- Punky Brewster: From the episode "Accidents Happen," Punky runs to Henry's arms the day her class watched the Space Shuttle Challenger lifts off, and she sobs "It blew up."
- Quantum Leap:
- At the end of "Lee Harvey Oswald," Sam is blaming himself for not saving JFK's life but Al tells him he did manage to make things better: "The first time...Jackie died too."
- The very last words of the finale — Dr. Beckett never returned home.
- The end of "The Leap Home, Part 2" — "I'm alive, and it's all thanks to you, little brother."
- "Infamy":David: Six months ago, Victoria gave birth to a baby girl. Her name is Charlotte. You want proof I'm telling the truth? Ask her who the father is.
- "Reckoning"; Nolan and Emily are watching a recording of Victoria, Conrad, and the white-haired man. Victoria brings up David's dead wife:Victoria: If you look a little deeper, you'll find there's much more to the story.
Emily: What is she saying? That they killed my mother, too?
Nolan: No. What she's saying is that your mother's alive.
- "Secrecy":Margaux: Thanks for meeting with me, Ms. Davis.
Lydia: It's Lydia, and believe me, the pleasure is all mine.
- "Exodus":Daniel: I heard everything.
- A rare example of a Wham Line being basically used twice and having the same effect:Emily (to Jack in "Truth" and to a whole bunch of people on live television in "Clarity"): I'm Amanda Clarke/I am Amanda Clarke.
- Revolution: The last line of the first season finale, as the power is restored and Randall's superiors are revealed:Mook: It's time to go home, Mr. President.
- Ringer: 4th episode of the 1st season:Gemma: What, Siobhan, what, because there is nothing you could possibly say to make this okay!Bridget: I am not who you think I am! I'm not Siobhan... I-I'm Bridget.
- Robot Wars Extreme:
Craig Charles: (After Bigger Brother wins) "They really upset you, didn't they, Joe?"Joe Watts: "No"(everyone, including the audience, bursts out laughing)
- Little Joe Watts of Bigger Brother revealed that his team's Vengeance match against Comengetorix was all based on lies:
- It was later revealed that there was no grudge between them and that they just wanted to fight Sir Killalot.
- Rome : Caesar, suspecting that Brutus is allied with his political enemies, tries to virtually exile him, with the thin excuse that Brutus will be taking over as governor of a backwater province. Brutus sees right through it and burns all the bridges between them, making Caesar's fate inevitable.Caesar: Be reasonable! You're on every wall with a knife at my throat! It would be foolish to ignore it.
Brutus: [seething] Only tyrants need worry about tyrant slayers!
- Salvation: Season 2 finale. Darius has finally figured out why the railgun has missed the world-killer asteroid heading for Earth. He's desperately trying to prevent Harris from launching all of the world's ICBMs as a last-ditch effort to destroy it.Harris Edwards: Why would I do that?Darius Tanz: Because... it's not an asteroidnote .
- Samurai Sentai Shinkenger: Act 20. Genta has just caught someone taking the Ika Origami. When he asks who he thinks he is, Daiki Kaito holds up the DiEnd card and says "...well, you can say I'm just a passing through Kamen Rider." And thus the Kamen Rider and Super Sentai meet for the first time.
- "Ikkan Kenjou!" With that, we learn that there is a sixth Shinkenger in the world.
- "This glorious person is the 18th head of the Shiba Clan: Shiba Kaoru!"
- Scrubs: The episode My Screw Up:Dr. Cox: Aren't you going to take some pictures?JD: Pictures of what?Dr. Cox: You know. Crying babies covered in chocolate. People singing happy birthday to my son who've never even met him before. You know, the whole routine.
Dr. Cox: She died of rabies?
- From "My Lunch"
- Seinfeld: From "The Invitations":Doctor: "I'm sorry, she's gone."
- Sesame Street:
- When Will Lee, the actor who played Mr. Hooper, died, the creators were debating what to do with Mr. Hooper, because they knew the kids would notice he was gone. Their decision was made known with the line "Big Bird... don't you remember we told you? Mr. Hooper died." Nobody expected Mr. Hooper to die as well, and tackling the issue of death head-on while completely averting Never Say "Die" is still considered a milestone in children's programming.
Eurus: I'm Eurus. It's Greek; it means "the east wind". My parents loved silly names. Like Eurus, or Mycroft...or Sherlock...
- "A Study in Pink" has a brilliantly comical, subverted take on this trope, when Sherlock and John encounter the mysterious and ominous man who has introduced himself as Sherlock's arch-enemy.Mycroft: This petty feud between us is simply childish; people will suffer... And you know how it always upset Mummy.
- And the line that introduces us to our villain in "The Great Game".Moriarty: I gave you my number. I thought you might call.
- "A Scandal in Belgravia" has another fantastic one.
- "The Reichenbach Fall" starts with one:John: My best friend, Sherlock Holmes...is dead.
- And another good one near the end of the same episode:Moriarty: Well, good luck with that! [shoots himself]
- And another good one near the end of the same episode:
- "His Last Vow":Moriarty: Did you miss me?
- "The Abominable Bride" has Mycroft referring to "the virus in the data", a glaring anachronism that is the first sign that the episode isn't just a Victorian AU version of the show.
- From "The Lying Detective":
Eurus: What was Father allergic to? What's the one thing he'd never let you have, no matter how much you begged? A dog. ... We never had a dog, Sherlock. note
- From "The Final Problem":
- "A Study in Pink" has a brilliantly comical, subverted take on this trope, when Sherlock and John encounter the mysterious and ominous man who has introduced himself as Sherlock's arch-enemy.
- The four sisters have been approached by a doctor who tells them that a patient of hers is in need of a bone marrow donation. When they ask why they would be a match for this woman:Dr. Charlotte Bennett: "Because my patient is your sister."
- She refuses to identify the woman, citing patient confidentiality, but when they continuing pressing her:Dr. Charlotte Bennett: "It's me. I'm the patient."
- The four sisters have been approached by a doctor who tells them that a patient of hers is in need of a bone marrow donation. When they ask why they would be a match for this woman:
- Sister, Sister: From the episode when the twins meet a photographer named Matt who knew their biological mother and shows them a photograph of her:Tia: She's so beautiful.Matt: I thought you knew her.Tamera: We never met her, but she was our biological mother.Matt (shocked): This is unbelievable. If Rachelle Gavin is your mother, then I'm your father.
- Sleepy Hollow. There are two in the finale, both from Henry Parrish aka Jeremy Crane aka the Horseman of War."He's here. I assure you." (In reply to Katrina's assertion that War isn't in his grave.)"Half-mortal. After all, I am what you made me. Mother... and Father.
- Episode 3x16: "I've been, um, diagnosed with a rather unique...liver disease and I'm running out of options."
- Episode 4x16 "Lucy": "How does he know you don't like tomatoes?"
- Season 4, episode 6, Freak: "Regarding our most recent subject...keep a close eye on her."context
- "Your secret is safe with me...Kal-El."
- "I was raised in your shadow. Now you're gonna die in mine. No one will even remember your name."
- Last line of Season 8: "Zod!"
- After Lois is kissed by the enigmatic and mysterious superhero known as "The Blur" in 9x21: "Clark!"
- Episode 10x8: "Abandoned". Not so much a Wham Line as a Wham Birth Certificate. "Lutessa Lena Luthor"
- Sports Night:
- "You're wearing my shirt, Gordon."
- "Isaac's at Columbia Presbyterian. He's had a stroke."
- Stargate Atlantis:
- "Progeny":Rodney McKay: They're machines. Replicators.
- Stargate SG-1:
- "The Devil You Know Part 2":"From this day forth I will reclaim my real name." (removes helmet) "Apophis."
- "Threads":Jim: Who, me? I have nothing against Oma. I think she's great! Hell, she's the one who helped me ascend.
- "Unending":Thor: Very soon, we will all be dead.
- "The Fith Race"Simmons: Chevron seven... is encoded?
- And seconds later:Simmons: Chevron eight is locked.
- "The Devil You Know Part 2":
- Stargate Universe:
- "Common Descent":Jason: You're the ancestors.
- "Epilogue":Alternate!TJ: It's ALS. Lou Gehrig's Disease.
- "Light":Young: Unless you knew.
- "Justice":Young: I know it was you.
- "Common Descent":
- Star Trek: Deep Space Nine:Kira: You belong to the Dominion, don't you?Female Changeling: Belong to it? Major, the Changelings are the Dominion.Odo: Why are you helping us?Lovok: Because no Changeling has ever harmed another.
Romulan Officer: The first barrage is complete.Enabran Tain: Effect?Romulan Officer: 30% of planetary crust destroyed in open volley. No change in lifeform readings...Tain: What? That's impossible. Some of them have to be killed.Romulan Officer: Our sensor readings have been confirmed by 3 other warbirds. There's no change in the number of life signs on the surface.Garak: They're using an automated transponder to send back false sensor readings! THE PLANET'S DESERTED!
- Earlier, after the Cardassians and Romulans attack the Founders homeworld:
Vreenak: "It's a FAAAAAAAAAKE!"
- "In the Pale Moonlight" has "The Dominion have invaded Betazed.".
- Star Trek: The Next Generation:
Picard: You will assist us to assimilate this vessel. You are Borg. You will assist us.Third of Five/Hugh: I will not.Picard: What did you say?Hugh: I will not assist you.Picard: "I"?Hugh: Geordi must not be assimiliated.Picard: But you are Borg.Hugh: No. I am Hugh.
- In "Remember Me", the computer's definition of the universe: The universe is a spheroid region, 705 meters in diameter.
- "The Best of Both Worlds":
- "I am Locutus of Borg."
- As well as "Mr. Worf, FIRE!" from the cliffhanger of that episode.
- From "I Borg":
Kurn: That is the response of a Klingon! The response I would expect from my older brother.
- From "Sins of the Father":
Worf: I do not believe this is appropriate behavior!Troi: Not even for your wife?
- From "Parallels", after Troi kisses Worf:
Tomalak: As you wish, Commander Riker... the charade is over.
- In "Future Imperfect", after Riker has been made to believe that he is the Captain of the Enterprise in the future but ultimately sees through the deception, "Ambassador" Tomalak says the following:
- Star Trek: The Original Series:
Spock: Jim... Edith Keeler must die.
- From "The City on the Edge of Forever":
- In State of Play: "She'd fallen in love with Collins. She'd gotten herself pregnant to him."
- Also, "Sonia meeting Paul Canning on a daily basis down at the Trocadero, telling him everything!"
- "I'm an angel of the Lord."
- "Gabriel, okay? They call me Gabriel." The Trickster reveals his true identity in Changing Channels.
- "For thirty years." And now we know why Dean wouldn't talk about hell.
- "You!" Mary Winchester to the Yellow-Eyed Demon, revealing she knew him.
- "You're going to have to... sweeten the pot." YED to John, before John makes the deal to save Dean's life.
- From the Season 6 finale, "I'm not an angel anymore. I'm your new God. A better one. So you will bow down and profess your love unto me, your Lord... or I shall destroy you." -Castiel to Sam, Dean, and Bobby after he absorbs all the souls in purgatory.
- And in the following season premiere, "Cas... is gone. He's dead." -the Leviathans, after taking over Castiel's body.
- And, of course, the line that took Poor Communication Kills Up to Eleven: "You don't understand! Lilith is the final seal!"
- A big one from Crowley: "I'm killing everyone you ever saved.
- Season 8 finale: "She told you I lied, didn't she? You should have listened to the bitch." - Metatron after Castiel learns he's been played the whole time.
- Crowley's reaction to meeting Rowena: "Mother?"
- "The Devil in the Details" drops a major one:Crowley: Castiel?Castiel (revealing he's really Lucifer): Guess again.
- A minor one in "Scoobynatural" which turns what was originally a silly crossover with Scooby-Doo into something more sinister.Sam: Dean... this isn't a dummy. This is blood!Daphne: GASPSam: He's-he's dead! Like-like really acually dead!
- Happens about Once a Season, usually coinciding with a Shocking Elimination. Examples are:
- Borneo: "The Merger" - this line at Tribal Council is considered by a few long-time fans as the line that changed the entire course of the series itself:Gretchen: "Oh my god... it's me."
- The Australian Outback:
Tina: "This was not my original intended vote. However, on the way here to Tribal Council, a new scheme was developed. In the spirit oof the Olympics, let the games begin."
- "The Killing Fields":
Nick: "He's burned. He's burned real bad."
- "Trial By Fire'':
- Marquesas: "Jury's Out" - With Boston Rob eliminated from the game, it looks like nothing can stop John Caroll and the Rotu 4 from cruising all the way to the end of the game. The next immunity challenge is the coconut chop challenge, and the Rotu 4 gang up and eliminate their main target, Sean Rector, first. It looks like Sean is doomed at the next tribal council. The Rotu 4 then proceed to eliminate Vecepia ... then Kathy ... then Neleh. Sean then observes aloud:Sean: "This is the order, how it's gonna go?"
Neleh: "I just had this feeling, especially after today's immunity challenge. I saw 'em hack down Paschal's coconuts so fast, and inside I'm just like...there's gotta be something changed here."
- With that, Kathy, Neleh and Paschal realize that Rotu is showing their planned order of voting, and that they are at the bottom of the former Rotu hierarchy. This is compounded by another Wham Line later on in the episode:
- They proceed to join forces with Sean and Vecepia, blindside the arrogant John at the next Tribal Council, and wipe out the rest of the Rotu 4 at the next 3 votes.
- Thailand: "Assumptions."Jeff Probst: "You said 'merge.'"Erin: "Yes?"
- The Amazon: "The Amazon Heats Up":
- Pearl Islands:
Jonny Fairplay: "My grandma is sitting home watching Jerry Springer right now."
- "The Great Lie":
Sandra: "And in my head, and mumbling under my breath, I was like 'I swear on my two kids that I'm gonna screw you [Jon] and Burton.'"
- "Mutiny" - Jonny Fairplay appears to have the game in hand - he and Burton are one tribal council away from the final four for both of them. To make sure that they're both a lock for the endgame, he approaches Sandra to make sure that she's going to vote along with him. She appears to agree, but just so Jon is sure that Sandra's going along with his plans, he makes her swear on her two kids, which she does. Satisfied, he walks away, and we cut to a Sandra confessional...
- What follows is Jon and Burton's game completely collapsing on itself.
- All-Stars: "Mad Scramble and Broken Hearts" :
Rob M.: "As soon as we merged, Lex comes running over to me... 'Rob, make me feel comfortable. Tell me that I'm safe. Tell me that I'm safe...' What, I'm making the deal — save Amber, and I'm gonna help you later on? You guys really didn't believe that, did you?"
- Which leads perfectly into this line from the following episode, "Anger, Tears, and Chaos":
Tom: "Don't be stupid, stupid. I may have fell for it once. I fell for it twice! (much more sternly) Not this time."
- In the All-Stars finale, Big Tom tells Rob that there's nothing personal between them. When he goes for a hi-five, he fakes him out and shows Rob who's really in power.
- Vanuatu: "Gender Wars...It's Getting Ugly":
- Fiji: "It's a Turtle?!" - The Four Horsemen are one vote away from controlling the game, and all they need to do is play the idol for whomever the other five are voting for. They try to make it seem like either Mookie or Alex has the idol. However...:Stacy: "If they think we're voting between Mookie and Alex why don't we vote off Edgardo?"Earl: "Why don't we vote off Edgardo? That'd come out of nowhere."
- Micronesia: Fans vs. Favourites:
Cirie: "I wonder if he would give Nat his necklace...probably not, huh?"
- "If It Smells Like A Rat, Give It Cheese" - Erik is the last man standing in a Final Five of him and four women. The main reason he's still in the game is because he's the strongest challenge competitor and has had individual immunity for the past two Tribal Councils. The only thing that they can even think of to overcome this is...
Erinn: "...You know what we COULD do tonight?... Cause [Tyson] doesn't have immunity..."
- After being targeted from the very first day of the game, and with her back against the wall, It seems as though Sierra is finally about to be outsed from the game after narrowly losing immunity, to the glee of Coach and Tyson. But then, Erinn noticed something about the usual challenge monster, Tyson...
- Heroes vs. Villains:
Jeff Probst: (revealing the third vote for Parvati) "Parvati, does not count. We're still at two votes Russell. (reveals next vote) Parvati, does not count."
- "Banana Etiquette" - The majority alliance is planning to take out Russell or Parvati at the tribal council that night, and decide to split their votes between the two, while Parvati, Russell, and Danielle vote for Tyson. At the tribal council, Russell plays the hidden immunity idol for Parvati, and...:
Sandra: "Russell wants me sitting next to him because he knows I'm not gonna get a single vote. [beat] But I don't know about thaaaaaat..."
- "Anything can Happen" - Russell has just told Sandra that he wants her sitting in the finals with her. Once again, we cut to a Sandra confessional:
- Redemption Island: "This Game Respects Big Moves" - The minority alliance is planning to weaken Rob and his majority alliance by convincing Matt (who had returned from the titular island after being blindsided) to go along with them and taking out Grant. Rob gets wind of this and immediately starts taking countermeasures by talking Matt back onto his side, secretly planning to have his alliance cut him loose immediately. The minority alliance anticipates the majority outvoting them, so at the tribal council, the immunity idol is played on Mike, the most obvious target. All of the votes from the minority come up Grant, and then...
- South Pacific:
Brandon: The lady next to me, she goes, "Oh my god, I hope it's not Russell Hantz." I will never, ever tell them my last name.
- "I Need Redemption"
Coach: "Im gonna tell you right now, our tribe isnt budging ... and I feel like you guys are trying to play us."
- "Double Agent" - Ozzy's bold gambit to get himself voted to Redemption Island in order to take out Christine, betting that they were about to merge and his play would bring his tribe into the merge even with the other tribe, actually works when he defeats Christine in the challenge and they do in fact merge, bringing him back into the game. The second part of his plan involves Ozzy acting at the Redemption Island challenge like Cochran betrayed the whole tribe by playing the immunity idol. This would allow Cochran to infiltrate the other tribe as a double agent. Later, Cochran is playing up being on the outs with his tribe to Coach to try to get more information. It seems to be going well, until:
- Philippines: "Million Dollar Question".Jeff: "Lisa, is there a reason you should take Malcolm to the end?"[beat]Malcolm: "...don't hesitate that long..."
- Caramoan:Malcolm: (when Reynold gets up to play his idol) "Hold up, bro."
- Game Changers:Jeff Varner: (to Zeke) "Why haven't you told anyone you're transgender?"
- Taxi: "Could I say just one word? SELTZER!" (From the episode "Jim's Mario's")
- Teen Wolf:
Allison: Are you sure? Ms. Morell said that word means friend; "the kanima seeks a friend."Lydia: She was wrong. It means master.
- The season 2 episode "Frenemy":
Stiles: (to Scott) By the way, if I don't make it back and you do, you should probably know something. Your dad's in town.
- Then in episode 3x11 "Alpha Pact"
Scott: Stiles... why are you whispering?Stiles: Because I think there's someone in here with me.
- Episode 3x18 "Riddled"
- Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles:
- "Know a lot of people, kid. Don't know you. Anyone ever heard of John Connor?"
- Also from the finale: "You're building Skynet". "No. I was building something to fight it."
- "Will you join us?"
- Terriers: the last line of "Change Partners" forces us to re-evaluate everything we know about Hank so far.Hank: I needed the loan, Miriam.
- Timeless: Lucy saying goodbye to her mother with plans to take the time machine and bring her sister back, which would also put her mother back into a coma.Carol Preston: Oh, sweetheart. Lucy, you won't lose me. I promise. Rittenhouse would never allow it.
- Top Gear: The 2010 Christmas special has one in the first 5 minutes:Clarkson: [Reading the challenge] Oh, god. "You have landed in Iraq".
- Torchwood: Children of Earth:
The 456: The human infant mortality rate is 29,158 deaths per day. Every three seconds, a child dies. The human response is to accept, and adapt.Jack: Were adapting right now, and were making this a war.The 456: Then the fight begins.Jack: Were waiting for your reply.The 456: Action has been taken.Alarms begin to sound.The 456: You wanted a demonstration of war. A virus has been released. It will kill everyone in the building.
- When the 456 reveal their interest in human children: "They release a chemical, it feels... good."
- Also Day Four, because all of the buildup makes you think that this is going to be a Big Damn Heroes moment for the Torchwood team to save the day. It's not.
Children of Earth: We Are Coming... Back.
- Heck, they manage to condense the WHAM into a word at the end of Day One.
- True Blood:
The Magister: However, I'm feeling a bit creative. [mooks bring out Jessica] Meet your maker.Sam: I'm not the killer, I swear.. I'm a shapeshifter.Sookie: [to Rene] How come your thoughts don't have an accent?
- Season 1:
Daphne: [about Maryann] She's a god.Eric: Godric is my Maker.[Tara: We ain't got nothing to do with it.] Maryann: Nothing to do with it? You summoned me.
- Season 2:
Sookie: I'm a fairy? How fucking lame.Claudine: Do not fear the water. It wasn't the water that killed them.Eric: Russell took my family. Now I take his.Eric: [to Bill] Did you tell her you were originally sent by the Queen of Louisiana to procure her because of what she might be?Eric: What about you letting two psychos beat her within an inch of her life so you could feed her your blood - the night you met, did she forgive you for that?
- Season 3:
Jason: Sookie...you've been gone for twelve months and two weeks.
- Season 4:
Salome: I dug Russell up.Hadley: [to Jason, about vampires and Sookie] They'll kill her just like they killed your parents!Lilith: I choose you.Bill: I told you the first night we met. Vampires often turn on those they love the most.
- Season 5:
- True Detective: Season 1 has an unusual one, in that it's only a wham line for some of the audience, a clue that it takes place inside a larger story:I closed my eyes and saw the King in Yellow moving through the forest.
- The Tudors. Henry is confronted by the ghost of his wife Jane about their son Edward.Henry: "He will be the greatest king England ever had!"Jane: "He will die, Henry, because of you."
- The Twilight Zone (1959):
- Twin Peaks: In Season 3:Cooper: "What year is this?"
- Ugly Betty: "I see that ski accident has been pretty kind to you, Alexander Meade." "My name is Alexis."
- Under the Dome:
Melanie: I am Melanie Cross... and I think this is where I died.
- Upon standing where the small dome was and getting her memories back:
- V (2009):
- We have: "John May is dead."
- Also, "I believe you've just experienced your first human emotion." To cap off an already intense Wham Episode.
- The Vampire Diaries:
- In the Season 3 finale after Elena has just apparently died in a car crash, Meredith lays this bombshell:Meredith: Damon, there's something you need to know. Elena's injuries were worse than I let on... she had a cerebral hemorrhage, bleeding from the brain.Damon: What are you saying?.Meredith: I helped her.
- Elijah saying he wants to keep Elena safe.
- Toward the end of season two; Elijah delivers this in a very calm, matter-of-fact way, sounding rather like a professor clarifying a minor point of history. In contrast, Elena (understandably) looks completely poleaxed.:Elijah: The curse of the sun and moon is fake.
- Season Three:Rebekah: Because my mother was also a witch. The witch of the original family. The original witch.
- From "Graduation":Silas: (to Stefan) Hello my shadow self
- In the Season 3 finale after Elena has just apparently died in a car crash, Meredith lays this bombshell:
- Victorious: In the episode "Wok Star":Cat: Jade's dad is only coming to the play on the first night, right?Tori: Yeah.Cat: So then why don't we just do it the way Jade wrote it for that one night?Tori: 'Cause, Mrs. Li is gonna be there and she wants it done her way.Cat: But what if she's not there?Andre: I think Cat just said something pretty smart.
- The Walking Dead:
- From "Better Angels":
Rick: "We're all infected!"
- From "Beside the Dying Fire":
The Governor: "There's a traitor among us! Merle, a man I trusted!"The Governor: "We also captured one of those terrorists! Merle's own brother!"
- "Made To Suffer" has two is succession:
Rick: "Did you kill Karen and David?"Carol: "Yes."
- "Isolation" :
The Governor: "Liar!"
- "Too Far Gone":
Deanna: Rick. Do it.
Selena: "I'm going to go to Omaha because... Omaha is a 20-minute drive right across the border... to Council Bluffs, Iowanote
- Warehouse 13:
- The 40th Floor:
Doctor: I think we might be looking at ovarian cancer.
- "What Hurts The Most" ends on a fairly high note (aside from the reveal of a mole now in their midsts)... then cuts to Myka at their medical exam:
- The West Wing:
Abbey: He has multiple sclerosis, Leo.
- The MS reveal.
Josh: If this is because of what I just said in there, I wasn't at my best when-Leo: Josh, I'm not sure you were fully conscious while you were saying it.
- Practically every line in the Rosslyn Arc.
- Following that, practically every line in Noël.
- Stanley: How did you cut your hand? / You're not talking to the paper boy either, Josh.
- Stanley: Can you honestly tell me that when the pilot committed suicide - can you honestly tell me that you didn't wonder if you were suicidal, too?
- Josh: I can hear the damn sirens all over the building!
- Josh: You need to listen to me. You have to listen to me. I can't help you, unless you listen to me! You can't send Christmas cards to everyone, you can't do it! [yelling] Forget the SPR, let's get the IMF loans like we said we were going to, listen to what I have to say about Didion, and please, listen to me!
- And of course this:
Josh: You diagnosed me in eight hours?Stanley: Josh, I diagnosed you in five minutes.
- And this:
- "I have a dead agent on the scene."
- And let's not forget:Charlie: There was an accident at 18th and Potomac. Mrs. Landingham was driving her car back here and was hit by a drunk driver.Leo: Is she all right?Charlie: No. She's dead.
Bernard: "What door?"
- From "Trompe L'Oeil":
The Man in Black: "I really oughta thank you, Dolores. You helped me find myself."
- From "The Bicameral Mind":
- The Wire has a few, but perhaps none is so memorable as the one where Tommy Carcetti learns that all his high-flying plans to rebuild Baltimore, and particularly its police department, are about to go to shit, not least because it came during a budget meeting:
- Carcetti: Finance, of course, doesn't deal with the dirt-under-the-nails tangibles—unless you consider the money itself to be dirty [chuckling softly]—so what's on your agenda today?Finance Advisor: School audit.Carcetti: [scribbling on a pad with a pencil] Well, how bad could that be?Finance Advisor: The system is running a 54-million-dollar deficit.Carcetti: [stops scribbling, looks at Finance Advisor] 54 million?Finance Advisor: Yes, Mr. Mayor.Carcetti: Jesus Christ! Did [former Mayor Clarence] Royce know this?Finance Advisor: [shakes his head slightly]Carcetti: How the fuck do we deal with that?Finance Advisor: Frankly, I'm not sure just yet.
- Whose Line Is It Anyway?:
- Played for Laughs: In the game called (oddly enough) Whose Line, Colin and Ryan are given slips of paper with pre-written lines to incorporate into the scene, and since the writing is usually done before the show starts, the Wham Line aspect of taking the scene in a different direction is unavoidable... but Colin and Ryan don't even miss a beat.
- An outright Lampshade Hanging occurs in Scenes from a Hat when the suggestion "The worst Soap Opera cliffhanger lines leading into a commercial" is pulled out.
- WKRP in Cincinnati: "As God is my witness...I thought turkeys could fly."
- Woops! The infamous Christmas Episode Say it ain't so, Santa.Santa: I killed Mrs. Claus and all the elves!
- Wie is de Mol, the Dutch version of what U.S./U.K. viewers might know better as The Mole, traditionally starts its seasons with its contestants scattered across a city and having to all meet at a specific location. Season 18 seemed to start off this way with the ten contestants all being split up into pairs and trying to communicate clues to one another, until Jan asked Olcay and Ruben where they were in Kiev, Ukraine:Ruben: Did you say Kiev?Jan: Yes.Ruben: We are not in Kiev, friend! We are in Almaty, Kazakhstan!(A montage plays, showing one by one each contestant pair's shocked reactions to learning that instead of starting in one country like in all past seasons, they're starting in FIVE different countries)
- Xena: Warrior Princess: From the episode "Chakram":Gabrielle - I don't think we can get that fixed from an ordinary blacksmith.Xena - Yeah. What is this thing anyway?
- The X-Files:
- "I'm sorry... but you've got something I need." That's a mutant who survives by eating cancerous tumors, talking to Scully.
- Still regarding Scully, a lesser example from "Clyde Bruckman's Final Repose": "All right, how do I die?" "You don't."
- Young Sheldon:
"In that moment, I had an epiphany. I could draw up a contract for ANY social relationship. It was a helpful way to remove ambiguity in a world that was often hard to understand...I would go on to draw up such contracts throughout my life...with roommates, with my wife, even with my own children."
- A line that reflects on its sister program and also reveals that the narrator Sheldon is from 20 Minutes into the Future: