Holtz sets out on his mission of revenge, undeterred by the fact that Angel has a soul. Meanwhile, Darla's baby is dying because she is unable to give birth.
- Amoral AttorneyHoltz: You said you work for the law.
Lilah: No, I didn't. I said I'm a lawyer. I don't care about the law.
- A Storm Is Coming: It's even foretold!"'For surely in that time, when the sky opens and the heavens weep, there will be no birth, only death.'"
- Bad Boss: Linwood makes it clear that he wasn't supervising the Hyperion fiasco, unlike Gavin and Lilah.Gavin: He's gonna crucify us.Lilah: They don't crucify here. It's too Christian.
- Bad Liar: Darla tells Angel he was better at lying when he was evil.
- Babies Make Everything Better: The baby's soul affects Darla, causing her to feel love and guilt for the first time since she was sired.
- Bait-and-Switch: It appears that Holtz has decided to forgo killing Angel upon seeing the baby, but Holtz has instead seen the opportunity to take a far more terrible revenge.
- Bait-and-Switch CommentHoltz: I swore that I would show no mercy. And I won't.
- Bread, Eggs, Milk, Squick / Too Many MouthsSahjhan: You'll get your money.Arnie: I've heard that one before. You know, I've got mouths to feed. Plus a family. Some of them have mouths, too.
- Buffy SpeakAngel: Attacked? I thought you had double protection sanctorum spells?
Lorne: I do. It's a thing with the door and the stairs and the world and the thing. Never mind!
Gunn: Apparently you can be outside and chuck stuff in.
Lorne: I just said that.
Fred: The Nyazian Prophecies did say that the Tro-Clon was going to be a confluence of events.Cordy: And the sudden appearance of an 18th century vampire hunter in the 21st century does seem pretty confluey.
- Cordelia hasn't forgotten her Sunnydale education.
- Call-Back: Angelus used the Staking the Loved One ploy against Buffy in "Phases". He converted a school friend of hers, knowing Buffy would turn up to investigate the death and be forced to kill her.
- Captain ObviousHoltz: Those men you sent to kill Angelus, they were each of them brave. They fought to the last.Lilah: (looks at the bodies on the floor) Yeah, I get that.
- Car Fu: Darla steals the Angelmobile, running over several Grapplar demons in the process.
- Character Death: Darla.
- Chekhov's Gun: Holtz sings 'Ar Hyd y Nos' for his daughter while waiting for daylight. When he enters Caritas for a reconnaissance he's humming the same lullaby. Lorne hears it and reads his intentions in time to get everyone out.
- Holtz seeing Angel use a grenade and later using one himself.
- Clean Up Crew: Lilah calls one to remove the bodies of the Wolfram & Hart Spec Ops team. Only the bodies though — the Fang Gang are shown in the next episode having to scrub up the gore themselves.
- Comically Missing the Point: Darla makes off in the Angelmobile. Angel turns up to see the gang staring down a deserted alley.Angel: What are we looking at?
- Cut His Heart Out with a Spoon: Averted for once with Lilah; she's too stressed out to bother coming up with inventive threats.Lilah: I have a gun.
- Dark Messiah: It's speculated that Angel's son might be one.Angel: Why is it everyone insists on planning my son's future before he's even born?
- Description Cut: Holtz asks Sahjahn if he's withheld any other important details. Sahjahn replies vaguely that there's nothing he can think of — cut to pregnant Darla.
- Dope Slap: Cordy testing Caritas' magic defences.Gunn: Ow.
- Flashback: To the death of Holtz's daughter.
- Half Truth: Sahjahn doesn't say anything about Angel having a soul (or Darla being pregnant with Angel's child). To his surprise Holtz is only angry because this will affect Angel's behaviour, as he needs to know these things in order to predict Angel's movements. This way Holtz gets to kill Angel, and has the fringe benefit of his soul suffering for eternity in Hell.
- Heroic Suicide: The child is dying as Darla's dead body can neither nourish it or give birth. The baby's magical protection makes a C-section impossible, so she stakes herself leaving the child intact when she dusts.
- Holy Burns Evil / Game Face: Angel tells Holtz he's changed. Holtz chucks holy water at Angel, causing him to vamp out.Holtz: Really? Somehow things seem the same to me.
- Identical Grandson: Lampshaded re HoltzGunn: Sure it wasn't his great, great, great-grandson?
- Ironic Nursery Tune: Holtz comforts his vampirized daughter by singing 'Ar Hyd y Nos' (All Through the Night), a Welsh song that later became widely used as a lullaby in England.
- Killed Off for Real: Julie Benz, who delivered the first line spoken in Buffy the Vampire Slayer, finally gets 'poofed' for good.
- Manly Tears: Holtz on realising his daughter has been turned into a vampire.
- Mathematician's Answer: Lilah asks her translator about the Scroll.Lilah: What does it say about the birth?Translator: Well, actually, it's funny... it doesn't.Lilah: What do you mean, it doesn't? But you said it did.Translator: Yes, I did say it did.Lilah: But it doesn't.Translator: In a way.Lilah: I have a gun.
- Mundane Solution: Caritas is protected by spells preventing any demon or human from committing violence inside the club. Holtz stands outside the club and rolls a drum of fuel down the stairs, then tosses in a grenade.
- Meaningful Echo: Darla referring to her child as "darling boy", as she did Liam. Also her telling Angel "I'm sorry" — when Angel used those words in "Epiphany" she realised he still had a soul.
- Mêlée à Trois
- Oh, Crap!: Lorne realising from Holtz's humming what's about to happen.
- Pin-Pulling Teeth: After being immobilised by Holtz's demon mooks, Angel kicks a grenade (lying in the hand of a Spec Ops corpse) into the air so he can grab the pin with his teeth, then shakes his head violently to free the pin.
- Please Wake UpSarah: Mommy won't wake up.
- Power Walk Out of the Inferno: A crossbow-wielding Holtz at Caratis.
- Prophecy Twist: "There will be no birth, only death."
- PunDarla: I'm sorry. I don't know what got into me.
- Redemption in the Rain / Redemption Equals Death: Darla finally accepts responsibility for the evil she's done over the centuries, including turning Liam into Angelus. She then stakes herself to save her child. She appears in a later episode as a ghostly messenger of the Powers That Be, implying that she has achieved true redemption.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning / The Mole: The zombie electrician.
- Revenge by Proxy
- Roaring Rampage of Revenge
- Screaming Birth: In a Crowning Moment of Funny Wesley tries to show Darla the Lamaze method of breathing, only for Darla to shriek, "I...DON'T...BREATHE!" and knock the entire Fang Gang flying. Then she breaks down in tears.Cordy: Well you know what they say — birth, painful.Wes: Yes, but generally for the mother, not the bystanders.
- So Was X: When Holtz points out that Angel now has a soul, Sahjhan snarkily remarks that Atilla the Hun had one, too."Not to mention a heart as big as all outdoors when it came to gift-giving..."
- Spiky Hair: Another Angel hair jokeHoltz: He's not the same vampire.Sahjhan: Of course he is! His hair is a little shorter, a little spikier. He's using product. But it's the same guy.
- Staking the Loved One: Holtz returns to his home to find that Darla and Angelus have killed his wife and baby. His daughter Sarah appears to have miraculously escaped until Holtz sees the bite marks on her neck. He waits till daylight then, seeing Sarah is hiding from the sun, throws her out into the open so she burns up.
- Stuff Blowing Up: And right after Lorne finished remodeling. Guy can't catch a break.
- Talking to Herself / Tender Tears: Pregnant Darla
- Tested on Humans: Cordelia and Fred test the magical defences by slapping Gunn.
- The Only One Allowed to Defeat You: Holtz says that W&H's Spec Ops men were brave, but he'll kill anyone they send against Angel. "No one will have him but me."
- There Was a Door: The Fang Gang escapes from Caritas by using Angel's Super Strength to rip a hole in the wall.
- Trash the Set: Caritas gets destroyed (for the third time on the show, and for the second time that series).
- Villainous Demotivator: The Wolfram & Hart translator says that translating the Nyazian Scroll should be fun.Lilah: No. This shouldn't be fun — what it should be is done by morning. Or I'll have your family killed.
- Why We Can't Have Nice ThingsTranslator: You highlighted an ancient Nyazian Scroll?
Lilah: In yellow.
- Would Hurt a Child: Darla knows that if the child is born she'll stop loving it, because she'll no longer be influenced by its soul.
- You Must Be Cold: Angel tears off his coat to cover Fred in the rain; she later takes it off to cover the baby.