All of the characters in No Straight Roads.
Bunk Bed JunctionAn underground (both literally and figuratively) indie rock band who decides rebels and stands against NSR to liberate Vinyl City from its control, and are the protagonists of the game.
- Amazing Technicolor Population: Mayday is orange, Zuke is green.
- Foil: Mayday is incredibly energetic and passionate, Zuke is much more subdued and calm. This is also reflected in their colour schemes, Orange/Red and Blue/Green being opposite each other on the colour wheel, and often put together for maximum contrast. Gameplay-wise, Mayday focuses on offense, while Zuke is on defense/utility.
- The Heroes
- La Résistance: Explicitly state their goal is to fight NSR, and remove their choke-hold on the music industry of Vinyl City, and all the other utilities they've got in their hands like the power grid.
- The Power of Rock: They rely on this to fight NSR.
- Would Hurt a Child: Have no qualms fighting Yinu for being an NSR artist, in spite of her being definitely younger than ten.
Voiced by: Su Ling Chan (EN), Kelly Marot (FR), Marta Domingo (SP) Ayane Sakura (JP)
- Classical Music Is Boring: She seems to think this judging by her interactions with Yinu, NSR's classical musician. Although even she is reluctantly impressed by Yinu's skill.
- Does Not Like Shoes: Whatever those things she's wearing on her legs and feet are, they cover her insteps but leave her heels and toes exposed.
- Genki Girl: Extremely energetic and passionate about her music and everything she does.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: She's the Red to Zuke's Blue.
- Saying Sound Effects Out Loud: Does "Pew,Pew" noises when performing ranged attacks.
Voiced by: Steven Bones (EN), Donald Reignoux (FR), Sébastien Baulain (SP), Jun Fukuyama (JP)
- All Drummers Are Animals: Subverted. He's actually quite calm, controlled, and subdued, especially when compared to Mayday. Also note Gadgeteer Genius below.
- Gadgeteer Genius: His Master's Degree in Fine Arts and Music aside, Zuke is responsible for the fantastic, combat-capable elements of his and Mayday's instruments. His workshop is also the upgrade page.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: He's the Blue to Mayday's Red.
The ElliegatorA secret alligator assistant who tags along with Mayday and Zuke, and is the third playable character in Assist Mode exclusive for the Nintendo Switch version.
NSRShort for No Straight Roads, is an EDM record label giant run by Tatiana that rules over Vinyl City, and are the titular main antagonists of the game.
- All Your Powers Combined: A fairly villainous example as they'll take artists who specialize with other genres and tweak their sound to incorporate NSR's brand of EDM.
- Antagonist Title
- Mega-Corp: Referred to as an EDM empire and have taken over the music scene in Vinyl City.
- Light Is Not Good: NSR's artists often feature a lot of bright colors and they are themed after conventionally peaceful concepts (such as space, the ocean, and flower gardens), but NSR itself has taken over Vinyl City, and their means of getting rid of competition are either to restrict their ability to create or even just kill them outright.
- Predatory Business: NSR promotes and sells their EDM music by restricting the creation and promotion of all other genres, and crushing those who try to compete with them, financially (by buying out smaller record labels), logistically (by hogging all the utilities and resources exclusively for their events and performances), or literally (by killing them).
Voiced by: Priscilla Patrick (EN), Céline Monsarrat (FR), Ethel Houbiers (SP)
MegastarsNSR's top talent and are major antagonists and bosses in the game.
- Leitmotif: Each of them who the heroes' fight plays a subgenre of EDM they represent.
DJ Subatomic Supernova
Voiced by: "Uncle" Ali Imran (EN), Éric LeGrand (FR), Enrique Fiestas (SP), Tomohisa Hashizume (JP)
Place of Concert: Club Planetarium
- Ambiguously Human: Is he a man operating a giant robot suit? Is the planet that is his "head" a helmet, or a control console? Is he even a living being, or perhaps a robot? No one knows.
- Creepily Long Arms: as his helmet gets more damaged his physical form begins to bend all out of shape, most notably his arms becoming extremely long and flat and allowing him to spin his records more effectively.
- Meaningful Name: A guy named "Subatomic Supernova" acts like a Small Name, Big Ego White-Dwarf Starlet.
- Narcissist: He believes that because of how electromagnetic waves work, his music will reverberate across the entire universe even though all music transmitted by that medium would. His boss fight reflects this by him being in the center while controlling everything around him and fitting his planet motif.
- New Era Speech: His Trailer is an in-universe NSR commercial where he gives a speech about music.
- Not in This for Your Revolution: According to himself, NSR's goals means less to him compared to letting his music be known.Mayday: NSR's dominance over Vinyl City ends today!DJ Subatomic Supernova: NSR? Maybe. My music? Highly unlikely.
- Rule of Symbolism: His outfit and battlefield both have a "planets orbiting a star" motif with him in the center which fits his personality, taken further when he's critically injured and his helmet is revealed to contain an Unrealistic Black Hole. The developers describe the latter event as him being swallowed by his own ego.
Voiced by: Nikki Simmons (EN), Anaïs Delva (FR), Christina Rosmini (SP), Ai Yamamoto (JP)
Place of Concert: Digital Idol Aquarium
- Exotic Eye Designs: She has heart-shaped irises.
- Idol Singer: Her overall design, her bubbly character and her genre as an NSR artist invoke this.
- Virtual Celebrity: Her stage having a notable digital feel with the ocean motifs and Mayday calling her "[still] not real" implies Sayu is actually this.
Voiced by: Damia Huda (EN), Lola Nédélian (FR), Eri Saita (JP)
Subgenre: Dubstep (with Classical music and piano)
Place of Concert: Natura Concert Hall
- Breaking the Fourth Wall: During her trailer she talks to "Mr. Voice Man".
- Child Prodigy: No older than 10 years old. Plays well enough to put a brief halt to Mayday and Zuke's disparaging of classical music. Winner of 6 consecutive international BAKAT awards. Puts said prestigious awards beside her toys Alice, Puddles, and General Stragovich.
- Classical Music: Her genre as an NSR artist.
- Rule of Symbolism: Her stage (both in the musical and videogame sense) have strong nature motifs, such as the lid of her piano being shaped like a leaf, Yinu's hair being like a rose bush, and especially the thorny rose stems and vines that shape the security gate. As Yinu's mother becomes more and more enraged and involved in the fight, the stage turns to a barren, nightmarish forest surrounded by sharp, thorny trees and vines.
- Skilled, but Naïve: Yinu is a talented and famed pianist, but has the maturity of a young child and is implied to be reliant on her mother.
- Something About a Rose: Her hair looks like a rose bush, and her stage has rose motifs.
Voiced by: Muhammad Zulhilmi (EN), Idir Alexander Ould Braham (FR), Victor Costa (SP), Ryuichi Kagehira (JP), Victor Costa (EU-SP)
Place of Concert: ????A superstar android boy band comprised of five members and the "coolest group in Vinyl City" who represent techno.
Voiced by: Joanna Bessey (EN), Françoise Cadol (FR), Ai Yamamoto (JP)
Place of Concert: ????
Voiced by: Azah Boémia Anuarul (EN)Yinu's mother, who is very protective of her daughter and her musical career, and will quite literally crush those who threaten to ruin it without a moment's hesitation.
- Brains and Brawn: In an interesting inversion of how this dynamic usually works, Yinu is a Skilled, but Naïve Innocent Prodigy while her Unskilled, but Strong mother is in charge (and the one Mayday and Zuke have to actually fight).
- Mama Bear: Crash Yinu's live performances at your own peril.
- Stage Mom: It's telling that she pulls Yinu to safety using marionette strings.