Gretl: Why am I always last?
Max: Because you are the most important.
Being the youngest of your group typically comes with some perks and challenges. On one side you're probably the cutest, have a pass to act immature, people like taking care of you, and you can embrace your fun side, knowing that the elders are there to handle the serious stuff. And if there's anything you're naïve about, you have plenty of others to give you the realest unfiltered advice without the generational gap and detachment that your parents or the Old Master have.
On the other end, sometimes people don't take you seriously. There you're kinda stuck because no matter how old you get, you'll always be "the baby" in their eyes.
Embrace the fun side too much and expect a lecture about growing up. Even worse, "acting your age" if you're an adult.
According to The Birth Order Book: Why You Are the Way You Are, Dr. Kevin Lenman describes the last-born children as "social and outgoing" but also the "most financially irresponsible of all birth orders". He also commented that they have the potential to be manipulative as well as charming, and, finally, be sometimes prone to Never My Fault and Attention Whore moments.
Contrast Tag Along Kid, who is usually literally a child, rather than this character who is metaphorically a baby. For reference, the baby is usually at the youngest end of their group's Competence Zone. The kid is young enough to be outside of the zone, and under normal circumstances wouldn't be expected to even be on the team. Contrast Team Dad and Team Mom, who are characterized by their maturity within a minor age range.
Tends to overlap with Kid-Appeal Character and The Cutie. Sometimes rendered as a Token Mini-Moe. Compare New Meat and Young Gun in professional settings. Occasionally can be seen as a supertrope to The Runt at the End and Youngest Child Wins as the baby tends to favored by characters, writers, and fans in real life. Everyone's Baby Sister is this trope used as a plot device to motivate other characters to protect them.
- Guts was probably youngest mercenary in Midland starting at the tender age of 6 and got his first kill when he was 10. Also unfortunately due to setting he got no special treatment and was subject to the worst Adult Fear possible.
- Ricket is the youngest member of the Band of Hawk and is one who is more frequently protected by the likes of Pippin and Guts. Ricket is also looked down upon by the likes of Corkus for his innocence and naïveté, even Guts claims Ricket could never truly hate Griffith like he does.
- It seemed prior to Ricket, Casca was this being a young girl by the time Griffith saved her from a rapey nobleman, with Judeau, Pippin and Corkus already part of the Band as teenagers. However a databook would retcon Cascas age being the same as Griffith and Guts, so this trope is averted.
- Among Gutss new companions Schierke is the youngest and most looked after, as seen when one drunk spilled beer on her pretty new dress and Guts punched his lights out. Ironically however being a witch Schierke is more capable than lot of the party and has a mature personality for her age.
- However Schierke is usurped by The Moonlight Boy who is a toddler and gets the most codling in the group.
- Played with in Delicious in Dungeon. Chilchuck is treated this way by the rest of the party because of how young he appears, much to his annoyance. In reality he's actually older than Laios, though Senshi and Marcille still consider him a baby because of the long lifespans of their respective species.
- Dragon Ball:
- In Z, kid Gohan exemplified this being a small boy among muscle bound martial artist powerhouses. Gohan of course got special treatment in Z-Fighters at times with his father Goku and Piccolo being Papa Wolf over him and he would get into goofy antics with Krillin. However worth noting Gohan despite his age was not exempt from the brutal violence in the series, seen in one moment from Namek where Vegeta comes across Gohan and is initially very friendly to him, even giving Gohan a pat on the head... before grabbing his hair and kneeing poor Gohan in the stomach and leaving him in agony.
- Even post timeskip Gohan takes on the trope in a different way as he never commands the same respect on the battlefield as the other veteran Super Saiyans. People keep making references to how he was stronger and more reliable as a child than as an adult, keep pushing him to take fighting more seriously, and continue to make fun of his childish Toku inspired Saiyaman identity. He goes through several rounds of retraining with Piccolo, and continues to have to prove himself to Goku and Vegeta whose relentless training schedules have far outpaced Gohan's innate potential. Even Future Trunks was shocked to see him in his current stake, but eventually realized that the goal of fighting for peace is so that not everyone has to live their lives as a grizzled soldier. Despite being treated as an immature fighter, he's arguably the most mature Z Fighter outside of battle, as a successful scholar, and responsible husband and father.
- In Dragon Ball Super the meek Kale takes on this role for Universe 6, being under the protection of the rougher Caulifla. She eventually breaks out of it when she masters her Legendary Super Saiyan form without going into berserker mode, and can stand on her own as a fighter.
- Pan was this in Dragon Ball GT though she failed as a Kid-Appeal Character despite being cute at times due being quite annoying and rude to her grandfather Goku.
- Gangsta. has Nina, Doctor Theos 12 year the old assistant the youngest of the main characters who gets Papa Wolf from Nic and occasionally coddled by Alex. Averted by Loretta who is Young and in Charge. On the villains side there's Mikhail whose 10 and an adorable little mass murderer.
- In Hellsing, Seras Victoria is the youngest at 19 years old and most childish of the main characters despite the second most powerful next to her sire Alucard. Seras is also the Token Good Teammate of the Hellsing organisation being according to the author a light shining in darkness.
- Lucky Star:
- Tsukasa Hiiragi is this trope within her family. The most coddled character out of anyone, innocent, not very brave or bright, and rarely taken seriously.
- Yutaka Kobayakawa, living with Konata and Soujiro Izumi. She is short, childlike, and innocent, even for the show's standards in general.
- Naruto: Gaara is the youngest of the Five Kages during the meeting of the Allied Shinobu Forces. This earns him some hostility from the Third Tsuchikage, Onoki. Eventually, Gaara does gain Onoki's respect.
- One Piece:
- Tony Tony Chopper is the youngest member of the Straw Hats being 15 when he first joined and is subsequently coddled by Nami and Robin (even getting to bathe with them) as well getting shoulder rides and head pats from Zoro and Sanji. Despite this, Chopper is against being babied and strives to be man even if lacks the emotion fortitude. Lampshaded in one Advertising crossover with Dragon Ball as Chopper is paired with the aforementioned Kid Gohan.
- Technically Vivi predates Chopper as the youngest member (albeit temporary) of the crew being 16 when she joined. Nami in particular would often play being Cool Big Sis to her.
- Luffy became this for Ace and Sabo though they wanting nothing to do with him at first. Ace in particular developed a Big Brother Instinct over him. Luffy is this again in Omake Family Time being youngest child of the Mugiwara family.
- Momonosuke usurps Chopper when it comes to this trope, being 8 years old and getting special attention from Nami and Robin. Though the subversion is that hes a Dirty Kid and later Young and in Charge as the heir to Kozuki clan.
- Played straighter with Tama and Toko from Wano who much cuter and more innocent than Momonosuke, as well as being fiercely protected by the Straw Hats and others.
- Todomatsu, AKA Totty, is the youngest of the Osomatsu-san sextuplets. He has quirks such as shiny eyes and a Cat Smile, still needing to be walked to the bathroom at night, being a Bitch in Sheep's Clothing, and being the last for things.
- The Quintessential Quintuplets: Itsuki is the youngest of the Nakano quintuplets. She is also very prone to childish sulking and pouting when displaying her Tsundere behavior.
- Saber Marionette R: Lime is the youngest marionette of the main three, and is treated as such by the others. Junior even says at one point that she's practically a baby.
- Wolf's Rain: Toboe is the youngest and smallest of the four (later five) wolves in the group.
- Yuri!!! on Ice: Yuri "Yurio" Plisetsky, the youngest of the current Men's Skaters at the age of 15, averts this; he's a Type A Tsundere with a Hair-Trigger Temper and certainly isn't babied by anybody. Plus, while he can be immature, he certainly isn't the most naive character on the show.
- In Simple Samosa, Vada is the youngest of the four main characters. He seems to be too young to understand the difference between fiction and reality, taking all of Samosa's exaggerated stories literally, and is also young enough that he's too short to go on any rides at the carnival as shown in the episode "Carnival Chaos".
- In Yamucha's Kung-Fu Academy, Jubby is literally a baby and the youngest out of the three main characters.
- Among the Bat-Family Child Prodigy Tim Drake aka Robin had this role, being youngest and coddled by Dick and Barbra who were trying to make up for not being more involved with the then recently murdered Jason, but then the actual youngest Damien was introduced and took Tim's place. Unlike Tim, Daimen is rarely cute, being quite the Jerkass.
- Johnny Storm was in the early Fantastic Four comics being the most immature of the group, and even coddled by Sue his sister and mentored by Reed. However as comics went on, Johnny's "youngest" position was taken by Franklin and then Valeria.
- Iceman started off at the youngest of the team, and tended to act the most immature. Even after character development, he still acts like this from time to time.
- Kitty Pryde was the poster girl for this back in the 80s, being a Tag Along Kid whom Storm would coddle fiercely and who Wolverine would be Papa Wolf over. Subverted though as Professor X would eventually take her off the team due to her age, Kitty was very upset over this.
- Jubilee stole Kitty's position as this in 90s (since Kitty was Put on a Bus to England). Jubilee was very immature compared to her older teammates and often got special treatment i.e coddled by Jean, Storm and Rogue as well as being frequently rescued by Wolverine and Gambit. Unlike Kitty, Jubilee has never truly outgrown this trope (despite several attempts), still being treated like this in Comic Book/Excalibur (2019).
- X23, being only 14 when she was introduced definitely a downplayed version of this, Wolverine and Gambit would play at being her father figure and even Jubilee would act as Cool Big Sis to her. Though given X-23s past and personality she's hardly innocent. Played straighter with X-23's younger sister Gabby who is very childish.
- Cable at one point albeit (sadly briefly) was a literal example of this being the X-Men's first baby and youngest Mutant. Then he was taken to the Bad Future and came back as the grizzled Rated M for Manly Anti-Hero we know today.
- In the comic Rocketship Rodents, one of the titular rodents is the youngest of the group, being 21. He often mentions he's "of age" when dismissed as a kid.
- Tailgate for the Lost Light crew in The Transformers: More Than Meets the Eye. Technically speaking he's older than most of the crew combined, but he spent millions of years trapped in stasis in a cavern on Cybertron, meaning that mentally he's still quite young. At first he tries to avoid this by pretending to be older than he is, but once the truth comes out he starts acting his age, doing things like getting piggyback rides or asking for curly straws.
- The Snow Cat Prince: Syv is the youngest of seven cat princes.
- Wonder Woman is traditionally viewed as a sort of daughter by all the Amazons, as when she was brought to life she was the first child, let alone infant, any of them had seen or got to watch and help grow up in centuries and there were no other children on the island while she was growing up.
- Fate/Harem Antics: Shielder complains that even though she was a fully-fledged Knight of the Round Table, she still got constantly treated as a kid. It was a consequence of her father being one of the other Knights.
- Waiting is worth it: Midoriya is flat out referred to as "the baby of the class" in Chapter 15.
- Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs: Dopey is this within the dwarf clan, being the youngest and the silliest.
- Marvel Cinematic Universe:
- In Captain America: Civil War, Wanda Maximoff for Team Cap (and the Avengers as a whole) and Spider-Man for Team Iron Man. Wanda is the youngest human Avenger and has the least amount of combat experience, and her teammates often take a protective or quasi-parental attitude toward her while Spider-Man is still a teenager. Averted with Vision, whose behavior is quite mature despite being only a few months old.
- As of Avengers: Infinity War Spider-Man is made an Avenger by Tony Stark. Making him the youngest human on the team at sixteen/seventeen.
- Baby Groot from Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 is naturally this, interestingly while he gets coddled by the Guardians they still take him on along on often highly dangerous missions. Though they do give him music to listen to and keep him out of the conflict.
- Wonder Woman (2017): Diana is the youngest Amazon and the only one born on Themiscyra, so she is largely treated as a child by the other Amazons even after she becomes an adult. Since she is the only Amazon who never saw the world outside the island, she has a naïveté that they do not share.
- Flash in Justice League (2017) (similar to MCU Spider-Man) is the youngest hero and most naive one at that and most immature. Barry is mentored and encouraged into heroics by Batman throughout the movie.
- In The Lord of the Rings Pippin is this for the Fellowship being youngest and by far most foolish often dipping into The Load before he gets better. In the book Elrond is explicitly against Pippin being in the party fearing it would be too much for him. This is ironic as in the movie Pippins actor Billy Boyd was older than Elijah Wood who played Frodo.
- In The Hobbit Ori whose got a Age Lift from the book is the youngest member of Thorins party in the movie. Ori gets babied by his father Dori and the other Dwarves. In the book Fili and Kili were the youngest and far more cheerful than more stoic brethren.
- Ensign Pavel Chekov in Star Trek (2009) is only 17, already having his commission by virtue of being a "Russian whiz-kid". Being a live-action Moe certainly helps.
- Lana from DISCO (2017) is youngest of the three and seems to be the one who constantly gets into trouble — usually involving drugs — and has Emily and Crystal bail her out if she ever gets into trouble. Crystal even says that their parents would let her get away with anything because of this.
- Jason in Us is the youngest member of the family and cast, and he has an Ambiguous Disorder too, so his mom Adelaide is extra protective.
- Olive in Little Miss Sunshine, as while the Hoover family are very much a Dysfunctional Family at the start, they still make the trip to the pageant to make Olive happy and become furious when anybody upsets her.
- Season of Miracles has Richard Powell, aka Little Richard. While most of the Robins look about 13, Richard looks like he's still in elementary school.
- In the original Blackadder, Prince Edmund is the younger son of King Richard IV, and is persistently annoyed by the fact that older brother Harry tends to get all the good jobs and titles while he is perpetually stuck with the task of managing the privies.
- In the The Brady Bunch Reunion Show A Very Brady Christmas, Cindy, the youngest of the original bunch and who is now 19, resents the fact that since she's the youngest they rest of her family all treat her like a baby. At Christmas she's still seated at the "kids table" along with the offspring of her siblings while those same siblings (including Bobby who is only a year or so older than her) are all seated at the adults table.
- In the final season of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Dawn, Buffy's little sister, complains that everyone treats her like a baby to be protected when she's now older than Buffy was when she [Buffy] started her slaying career.
- Dr Spencer Reid from Criminal Minds. He turned 24 early in Season 1, which made him the youngest of the BAU by almost a decade and the rest of his team (read: Morgan) never lets him forget it. On the plus side, it also tends to evoke Big Brother Instinct in some teammates and Like a Son to Me in others, and lets him get away with his more childish quirks like an over-enthusiasm for Halloween and firing off "physics rockets" in the bullpen.
- Empire: Hakeem Lyon is the youngest child and appropriately the most reckless and immature. He wants to prove himself a man to his father, but is quick to run to his older brothers to bail him out. He was also too young to remember his mother before she got locked up for 17 years and has no respect for her.
- In The Haunting of Hill House, Nell is the youngest Crain sibling and The Heart.
- Heure is the youngest of Time Jackers, the villainous group from Kamen Rider Zi-O. He is treated as Annoying Younger Sibling at very best and hates it despite being as immature as everyone thinks he is.
- M*A*S*H. Radar is 18, while most of the other camp personnel's ages range from late 20s (Hawkeye, Trapper, and B.J.) to 60s (Potter's presumed age). After characterization marched on, Radar become an increasingly childlike and naive character, as reflected in many facets of his personality, such as sleeping with a teddy bear, reading comic books, sneaking copies of National Geographic (for nude pictures), and being unfamiliar with subjects related to sex. The fact that he's also short (only 5′5″) didn't help him out much, either, and he was consistently teased about his height—or lack thereof.
- The Other Two is about what happens to the older siblings when their little brother becomes a superstar. Chase, the family baby who becomes a youtube sensation, is portrayed as a decent, innocent kid brother even as he is thrust into the world of fame.
- Dr Julian Bashir of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine begins as a fresh-faced officer straight out of the Academy in his mid-20s, and manages to get off on the wrong foot with most of the cast due to his unconscious arrogance before his Character Development sets in.
- Played literally in Star Trek: Voyager when an evil alien momentarily turns Harry Kim into a squalling baby, lampshading how he hates being treated like the baby of the crew.
- On Succession, Cousin Greg is the youngest and least wealthy of the main characters, as well as a Naïve Newcomer to the family drama. His age, status and good-natured demeanor all ensure that nobody takes him seriously or perceives him as a threat.
- At age 22, during season 1 of Supernatural, Sam Winchester is the baby of his crew which initially begins with Sam, his older brother, his father, and an older family friend and eventually expands to include several nigh immortal creatures such angle, demons, and witches. Sam is the youngest human until the next generation of hunters begin to emerge in season 8.
- Liam Dunbar in the fourth season of Teen Wolf. Stiles even calls him a little runt. Eventually, he is joined by Mason, Hayden, and Corey.
- Victorious: Cat fills this role, being the most childish of the group. The rest of the gang often have to protect her when she's in tough situations. Even Jade once comforted her when she started crying.
- The White Queen: Anne Neville and Richard of Gloucester are the "baby" within their families, plus they are The Cutie at the start of the show. Anne is her father Lord Warwick's favourite child, and Richard is loved by his eldest brother King Edward IV more than their middle brother George of Clarence.
- Pippa in Absolutely Truly is the youngest child of the Lovejoy family.
- Fritz from the All American Pups series is at least one of the younger members. He is somewhat klutzy, reluctant to be too far from home, and a self-admitted Lovable Coward. He tends to be seen as the baby of the group by humans, the other pups, and himself.
- Ginny Weasley in Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix lampshaded during the battle in the Department of Secrets as the Ax-Crazy Bellatrix Lastrange threatens to torture the youngest at which Harry and the others instinctively crowd around Ginny. Among the DA aka Dumbledores Army Colin and Dennis Creevey are (or were) in Colins case the youngest members.
- In the first Wings of Fire series, Sunny's idealism and simple outlook means that her friends (despite being the same age) often discount her opinions. Sunny is aware of this, and hates it.
"They'll give me that look I always get, the one that says: 'Oh, silly little Sunny and her crazy dreams, isn't she cute and harmless.'"
- In Jeramey Kraatz's The Cloak Society, Misty, at ten, is two years younger than the rest. She insists on being treated like a team member and even objects that she's used primarily to transport them to and from fights.
- Brand, from The Crush, is the youngest member on his squad. The others make a habit of correcting him and constantly treating him as the new guy, while also taking care of him like a younger sibling.
- In The Last of the Really Great Whangdoodles, Lindy is the youngest of the three siblings. She has the most fertile imagination, which is a valuable attribute in the context, and the most trusting nature, which can be good or bad depending.
- In Renegades, Nova is the youngest of the Anarchists, having been brought into their group by her uncle when she was six. This makes her the most suitable spy, as it means the Renegades don't have her name and face in their files.
- Although Alvin and the Chipmunks are triplets, their birth order is Alvin, Simon, and Theodore. Compared to Alvin and Simon, Theodore is notably more bright-eyed and naive, and often looks to his brothers for advice and guidance. At one point during the 1980s series, and carried over into the two Universal movies, both Alvin and Simon had begun to wear regular pajamas while Theodore still wore his onesies to bed.
- The Jackson 5: Michael Jackson, the youngest brother and interestingly enough the lead singer and The Face of the band for both his talent and cuteness as a child. He started a solo career as a teenager.
- *NSYNC: Justin Timberlake was 14 when the group started and had an Odd Friendship with the eldest member, who was 10 years his senior.
- Spice Girls: Emma Bunton AKA Baby Spice for the iconic girl group. She's the youngest of the group (by less than a year) but accentuated by long blond hair in pigtails, baby-doll dresses, innocent smile, and Girly Girl personality in the marketing.
- The Sugarhill Gang: Master Gee invokes the trope by name for himself during his verse in "Rapper's Delight."
Now, I'm not as tall as the rest of the gang
But I rap to the beat just the same
I got a little face and a pair of brown eyes
All I'm here to do ladies is hypnotize
I guess by now you can take a hunch
And find that I am the baby of the bunch
- Nicola Roberts references her time as one of the youngest contestants on Popstars: The Rivals on her solo single "Beat of My Drum":
Once upon a time I pressed rewind
Two left feet, I had no beat
Baby in the corner learning quick
Keep up, keep up, keep up
- Squacky is the youngest of The Pajanimals. "I Was a Baby?" is about him being upset because he can't do some of the big kid things that the other Pajanimals can do, like reading, or tying his shoes, or drawing a decent picture.
- In West Side Story, Baby John is the youngest member of the Jets, with an innocent, vulnerable personalty unsuited to the gang and who mainly goes along with the others due to peer pressure. In the film version he even gets beaten up by the Sharks in the opening scene and is later shown crying Tender Tears after the deaths of Riff and Bernardo. Worst of all, the other Jets eventually try to force him to rape Anita.
- In The Sound of Music, as shown in the page quote, five-year-old Gretl is the adorable youngest of the seven von Trapp children.
- In Annie, six-year-old Molly is the youngest, cutest and most vulnerable of Annie's friends at the orphanage. In the opening scene she wakes up crying from a nightmare about her Missing Mom and needs Team Mom Annie to comfort her.
- Transformers: Bumblebee is already the Trope Codifier for Kid-Appeal Character, has a youthful, friendly design with Innocent Blue Eyesnote , is the youngest of Optimus Prime's troop who wants to prove himself to his more seasoned allies, and empathizes with the Puny Earthlings. One story (in the The Transformers: Last Stand of the Wreckers collection) has Roadbuster mention it's hard not to want to pat him on the head just seeing him.
- BIONICLE: Lewa came off as this to the Toa Mata, even though they were all the same age, due to his tendency for reckless adventure. Character Development eventually wizened him up, though.
- From The Grossery Gang, Rotten Egg was the last one to expire, so he was the last one to turn into a Grossery, making him the youngest, where all the others treat him like a little brother, even though they also spend no spare time mocking him like an older sibling would, too.
- Axl from Mega Man X 7 onward is a newer member of the Maverick Hunters and is characterized as a Young Gun who's more impulsive and eager than the veterans X and Zero. Axl acts immature and thinks of everything like a game.
- Mighty No. 2 Cryosphere from Mighty No. 9 is the smallest of the nine Mighty Numbers, and is designed with a baby aesthetic in mind, complete with a childlike personality.
- D. Va from Overwatch is a 19-year-old professional human Gamer Chick riding a Chicken Walker, in a setting where you'd have to be at least in your mid-twenties to be called 'young'. Because of this, she retains quite a lot of childish cockiness that comes from a competitive gamer of that age.
- Resident Evil has Rebecca Chambers the youngest member of S.T.A.R.S at 18 years old, though background information states shes a Teen Genius though that doesnt stop her from being The Load in RE1 in the RE0s novelisation Rebecca is annoyed that her teammates baby her so much and in game gets ticked off at Billy patronising her.
- Leon Kennedy in RE2 was the youngest police officer in Raccoon City at 21 years old and is especially treated as such by his superior Marvin Branagh. Leon is also the most naive officer too being completely unaware of how corrupt Chief Irons is and hesitant to release Ben Bertolucci from his cell, even in during the Zombie Apocalypse.
- Mass Effect has interesting subversions.
- Despite clearly being The Leader, Shepard's is likely actually the youngest member of the true companion crew that appear in all three games, except for Joker who is a few months younger, and Ashley and Tali, who are both a few years younger. Because of the strength of his/her personality, s/he comes across as older but is only 29 in the first installment, several years younger than the rest of the crew save Ashley and hundreds of years younger than some of the allies he eventually makes.
- If Shepard does not romance Tali, Tali will be treated like a kid sibling.
- From Mass Effect: Andromeda, Cora Harper will mention she used to be the team baby in her old commando unit, since everyone else was an asari. The next youngest teammate was a mere two-hundred, and relieved that there was finally someone else to be "the kid".
- Azami Mochizuki from Sakura Wars (2019) is the youngest member of the Imperial Combat Revue, while Seijuro Kamiyama and most of its members are young adults.
- In South Park: The Stick of Truth as well as Fractured But Whole and Phone Destroyer, The New Kid tends to take this trope from Butters, as they're already established as being a year younger than the other fourth graders and sometimes tend to be treated as a raw rookie in whatever game they're playing. Heck, Butters even briefly takes up being the New Kid's mentor in the first and third games.
- In Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater Naked Snake (yes Big Boss himself) was this for the Cobra Unit aka Sons of The Boss being the youngest and newest member. Team Mom The Boss even repeatedly claims to Volgin and others Snake is just a child considering shes referring to a 30-something bearded man in full combat gear, this is unintentionally hilarious.
- In Team Fortress 2, all of the mercenaries are grown men...and then there's Scout, who is so short and skinny that he is often mistaken for a teenager by fans.
- Bethany Hawke in Dragon Age II is the youngest of the three Hawke siblings, albeit only by a few minutes. Because of her magical abilities, the entire family is extremely protective of her. If she survives the prologue, she becomes a little sister figure to Hawke's entire party.
- Fire Emblem: Three Houses:
- The Black Eagles has Petra at 15, although she's never treated as a child or anything less than an equal. Rather, the 17-year-old Bernadetta seems to fulfill this role.
- The Blue Lions have Ashe, although like Petra, he's never treated as a child due to his maturity. There's also Felix of the childhood friends (himself, Ingrid, Sylvain, and Dimitri), and while he's prickly in the present, Sylvain recalls that Felix Used to Be a Sweet Kid.
- The Golden Deer have Lysithea. Claude teases her about this for his amusement, although he takes her seriously when it comes to tactics.
- Subverted by the Elf in Dragon's Crown. Next to the "walking wall of steel" Fighter, the positively ripped Amazon, a Dwarf wider than he is tall, the mature prettyboy Wizard, and incredibly curvaceous Sorceress, the short, Token Wholesome Elf certainly looks the part. She's actually the oldest of them all at about 100 and nobody has any trouble taking her seriously.
- In Hades, the Olympians aren't terribly fond of their titular chthonic Black Sheep. But then they discover that he's been hiding a charming young son, Zagreus, from them this whole time, and are so elated to fawn over their newfound cousin/nephew that they immediately break from their policy of not interfering with Underworld matters and begin aiding his escape from it so they can properly adopt him into the Olympian pantheon. Most of them even begin competing with each other to become Zagreus's favorite, to the point that they react... violently should he spurn them in favor of one of their siblings or cousins.
- Ace Attorney:
- Pearl Fey in the Fey Clan combines this with Token Mini-Moe; her mother and cousin dote over her very much.
- Defied with Franziska Von Karma. She is the youngest of the von Karmas and is the youngest prosecutor in the original trilogy, but she refuses to act like it instead, she's got an abrasive, cold personality. She even refers to Edgeworth as her younger brother despite being seven years his junior.
- In ClockUp's Euphoria, we have Token Mini-Moe Spoiled Brat Rika... who's just one year younger than the other teenagers. She often uses her charming cuteness to get herself out of trouble.
- Morenatsu: If you don't count Soutarou, Shun is this in the main group. Shun is also the most cheerful, sensitive, energetic, and child-like of the group.
- Eroge! Sex and Games Make Sexy Games: This trope gets Zigzagged; Nene is this in appearance and behavior only (in fact, she's the eldest at 32!); Momoka, a Does Not Like Men Tsundere, is actually the youngest one in the group (at the age of 20).
- Konomi Yanase in Princess Evangile is the youngest of the main cast, and the youngest potential love interest for Masaya. As such, she has to be constantly lectured on how love and relationships really work whenever they bring it up in front of her.
- In RWBY, Ruby is the leader of the eponymous team and is only fifteen years old, while all of her teammates are seventeen years old. Yang dotes on her younger sister and is supportive of her, while Weiss initially despises Ruby and refuses to follow a younger and (at least in her view) even more inexperienced combatant.
- Zala'ess Vel'Sharen of Drowtales is the youngest of her five sisters, and a major motivation for her is to make herself the most powerful to make up for all the times they talked down to her and took her less than seriously due to her age. As a result she has the largest family and the most political connections of any of them.
- Errant Story: Poor Misa is this for the entire elven species. Since they're immortal but slowly became sterile over the millennia, she's literally the youngest elf in existence, and there's no chance of another being born. This means that she's still treated as a baby despite being almost fifteen hundred years old.
- Pocket Princesses depicts Snow White in this manner. She's canonically the youngest Disney Princess at only 14-years-old, and the most innocent and pure-hearted, which combined with Character Exaggeration makes her into a happy-go-lucky Kindhearted Simpleton.
- Stand Still, Stay Silent: Reynir is this to his family, thanks to both being the youngest and the only one to not be The Immune among his siblings. It's to the point that at age twenty, his parents were still exaggerating how dangerous the world is outside the farm, while his older siblings are implied to all have military jobs. He's also this in the Death World exploration crew to which he's a Little Stowaway to an extent, being an untrained civilian making up for the fact that strictly speaking, he's the third youngest out of six behind a couple of military-trained nineteen year olds.
- Ed, Edd n Eddy
- Jimmy, in spades. Kevin in particular will occasionally taunt Jimmy over his younger age, from him frequently carrying around stuffed animals and playing with dolls, to how accident prone he tends to be. In spite of all of this, Jimmy still hangs with the other cul-de-sac kids.
- Averted with Sarah. She's Jimmy's age, and is Ed's baby sister, but she's incredibly aggressive, temperamental, and physically destructive to the point that most of the other characters (Ed, especially) don't even dare mess with her, lest they suffer her wrath.
- Though Eddy usually averts this, "A Pinch to Grow an Ed" is made of this trope.
- In the Eds' dynamic, Ed plays this role. He's simple-minded and childlike, not to mention a space case, so Edd and Eddy have to respectively be the Team Mom and the Team Dad to him.
- The Legend of Korra:
- In Aang's family, Tenzin is "the baby" among his siblings, however he's also the most driven and stoic of the family, probably because he has a chip on his shoulder. He gets teased by his older brother and sister for being daddy's favorite, even as an old man.
- Similarly, Meelo feels he has something to prove, not only as the youngestnote , but also as the only male of his Tag Along Kid trio with his two older sisters. His attempts to be seen as a man are usually played for comic relief.
- Among Team Avatar, Bolin fills this role. Mako occasionally calls attention to his age, and he embraces being the most childlike of the team.
- The Powerpuff Girls has Bubbles. She's the cutest and friendliest of the sisters. She also has the most childlike character tics like sleeping with the lights on and carrying around a stuffed animal. Being explicitly treated as the Baby is a Berserk Button for her. As long as you don't call attention to it, she plays the role to a T.
- Michelangelo of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. In all except the 1987 series, he's treated as the youngest turtle. Appropriately he's the least mature, easily distracted, and most energetic, but he sometimes gets miffed that no one takes him seriously.
- Young Justice. Robin is the baby of the founding core team during season one. This actually becomes a plot point. He's been a super hero since he was 9, has the most years of experience, and probably the most grueling mentor in Batman, so he was considered to be The Leader of the team. Due to his relative youth at age 13 and overall immaturity, the mantle passed to Aqualad (age 16 at the time). Appropriately, this is one of the most impish and childlike interpretations of Dick Grayson since before Batman: The Animated Series in the 1990s. After the time skip he became The Leader proper as Nightwing.
- While Ice Bear is actually the little bro of the trio from We Bare Bears, ironically, it's the middle child Panda that's treated like the baby by his brothers and tend to coddle/overprotect him as such.
- The titular character in Steven Universe, pictured above, being the youngest of the Crystal Gems, is basically this. He's starting to grow up in later episodes, though.
- In the Whole Episode Flashback episodes set before Steven was born, Amethyst seems to have been this, acting even more childlike than she does in the present. The loss of Rose, along with Steven becoming the new "baby," seems to have matured her into more of a Cool Big Sis role.
- Minor character Peedee Fryman also applies this, and ironically being more responsible than his dad or older brother.
- In "Jungle Moon", Stevonnie starts Dreaming of Times Gone By while sleeping in an abandoned Gem base, and learns Pink Diamond was something like this, a Bratty Half-Pint who was much shorter than the other Diamonds and had to demand her own colony from Yellow Diamond.
- 15-month-old Lily from The Loud House, which means that she is literally a baby in the whole family.
- In South Park, Butters stands out as the only kid in his class who plays Children Are Innocent straight.
- Mindy Melendez from Ready Jet Go! is 4 years old, and is the youngest character in the main clique. However, her being 4 means she can't go to space with the older kids just yet.
- In DuckTales (2017), Louie and Webby are the babies of the bunch. Louie is the youngest of the triplets, and Webby is the youngest of the main cast of kids. In the previous generation, Fethry Duck is the youngest of his cousins.
- Tails in Sonic Sat AM is doted on and fussed over by the whole team of Freedom Fighters, probably due to him being the youngest of their group.
- Some legislatures take to nickname their youngest member the Baby of the House.
- If you've got at least one sibling and are the youngest, odds are your family will always see you as this to some extent.