When my date comes to get me at my place
Out I go with my Joe or John or Billy
Like a filly who is ready for the race!
When I have a brand new hairdo
With my eyelashes all in curl
I float as the clouds on air do
I enjoy being a girl!"
The Girly Girl is a little girl or woman who likes things like floaty dresses and perfume and jewelry, etc. However having some of these attributes doesn't necessarily make a girl 'girly'. Depending on local norms, a Tomboy may have some of these traits, and the variety of Girly girls is great enough that no one trait can be called essential. Therefore, it is nearly inevitable she will invert the Tomboy with a Girly Streak (which the tomboy plays straight).
There are generally two types of girly girls:
- Type 1: Proper Girly Girl: This type of girly girl is very feminine, and has all of the qualities and interests that are traditionally associated with femininity. She is usually not good at any type of sports (other than perhaps dance sports). Acts as a counterpart to the Extremely Girly Tomgirl, aka Sissy.
- Type 2: Moderately Balanced Girly Girl: This type of girly girl tends to be somewhat more masculine than a traditional proper girly girl, but nonetheless still retains a significant portion of feminine and "girly" qualities and interests. If she's good at sports, she plays sports that are typically considered "feminine", such as golf, tennis, and volleyball. Acts as a counterpart to the Moderately Balanced Tomgirl.
No examples for this page, please. Put all your examples under one of the various traits associated with Girly Girls. If we don't have a subtrope for your specific Girly Girl please feel free to use the YKTTW to create a trope for it.
Sub-tropes/Characteristics often attributed to Girly girls include:
- Action Fashionista
- Alpha Bitch: A girly girl with a mean streak.
- All Girls Like Ponies
- All Women Love Shoes
- Coy, Girlish Flirt Pose
- Every Proper Lady Should Curtsy
- The Fashionista: Ladies need stylish clothes, don'tcha think?
- Feminine Women Can Cook: Home cooking marks a sign of a girly girl.
- Flower in Her Hair
- Girliness Upgrade: A tomboy becomes more of a girly girl.
- Girlish Pigtails: Pigtails that make a girl look both young and girly.
- Girls Love Stuffed Animals: Femininity expressed through love of stuffed animals.
- Girly Bruiser: A girly Action Girl.
- Girly Girl with a Tomboy Streak: A girly girl with some tomboyish traits; the Tomboy with a Girly Streak is an inversion.
- Girly Skirt Twirl: A common pose.
- Graceful Ladies Like Purple: Wearing purple marks a graceful girly girl.
- Innocent Flower Girl
- Kicking Ass in All Her Finery: An Action Girl in a Pimped-Out Dress.
- Kindly Housekeeper
- The Lady's Favour
- Lady Legionnaire Wear
- Lady of Black Magic: A girly girl with great magical power.
- Lady of War: An elegant Action Girl.
- Light Feminine and Dark Feminine: Two girly girls represent different aspects of femininity, the innocent maiden and the sultry temptress.
- Lipstick-and-Load Montage
- Lipstick Lesbian: A girl doesn't have to be butch to like the ladies.
- Lolita Fashion: Although most of the styles are very feminine since that's the point, Classic and specially Sweet are all about looking as girly as possible.
- Long Hair Is Feminine: The longer a girl's hair is, the girlier she is.
- Lovable Alpha Bitch
- Meekness Is Weakness
- Mega Twintails: Huge pair of pigtails that make a girl look even more adorable.
- Parachute Petticoat
- Parasol of Prettiness
- Pink Means Feminine: Pink is the girliest of colors in many cultures.
- Pretty Princess Powerhouse
- Princess Classic
- Princess Phase
- Prone to Tears: Crying a lot is considered feminine.
- Proper Lady
- Rapunzel Hair: A girl's hair is longer than usual because Long Hair Is Feminine.
- Shrinking Violet: Most shy girls are often delicate and sweet.
- Silk Hiding Steel: A girly girl with a Hidden Badass side.
- Southern Belle
- Spirited Young Lady: Being independent, ambitious, and proto-feminist doesn't mean one can't still be a girly girl.
- Textile Work Is Feminine
- Tomboy Angst: A tomboy who secretly wants to be girly.
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: Another way girly girl can be identified is through comparison to a tomboyish female character.
- Tomboy with a Girly Streak: Sometimes a tomboy can have a girly side.
- Town Girls: A trio has one tomboy (Butch), one girly girl (Femme) and one that doesn't fit into either category (Neither).
- True Blue Femininity: Girly girl wears blue to indicate her femininity as a throwback to the olden days of when blue was the feminine color.
- Unwillingly Girly Tomboy: A tomboy who reluctantly wears girly clothes or is involved in feminine activities.
- Used to Be a Tomboy: A girly girl who was a tomboy in their youth.
- Vanity Is Feminine: Girly girls are identified by the way they take care of their appearances.
- Women Are Delicate
- Yandere: Typical yanderes are usually girly and love-struck before turning out as violent.
- Yamato Nadeshiko