When my date comes to get me at my place
Out I go with my Joe or John or Billy
Like a filly who is ready for the race!
When I have a brand new hairdo
With my eyelashes all in curl
I float as the clouds on air do
I enjoy being a girl!"
The Girly Girl is a little girl or woman who likes things like dresses and perfume and jewelry, etc. However having some of these attributes doesn't necessarily make a girl 'girly'. Depending on local norms, a Tomboy may have some of these traits, and the variety of Girly girls is great enough that no one trait can be called essential. Therefore, it is nearly inevitable she will invert the Tomboy with a Girly Streak (which the tomboy plays straight).
No examples for this page, please. Put all your examples under one of the various traits associated with Girly Girls. If we don't have a subtrope for your specific Girly Girl please feel free to use the YKTTW to create a trope for it.
Compare Femininity Tropes. Contrasts with Tomboy and One of the Boys. The male counterpart in terms of femininity is In Touch with His Feminine Side, for "sensitive guys" and "girly boys", aka tomgirls and sissies; the male counterpart in terms of subscribing to gender roles is Manly Man.
Sub-tropes/Characteristics often attributed to Girly girls include:
- Action Fashionista: An Action Girl version of The Fashionista.
- Alpha Bitch: A girly girl with a mean streak.
- All Girls Like Ponies: The stereotype that girls like horses.
- All Women Love Shoes: Women will buy expensive shoes even if they don't need them.
- Coy, Girlish Flirt Pose: A pose a girl will make when flirting with someone.
- Earthy Barefoot Character: In addition to the general enjoyment of going barefoot, some girly girls also do it to connect themselves to nature.
- Every Proper Lady Should Curtsy: Ladies do this instead of bowing.
- The Fashionista: Ladies need stylish clothes, don'tcha think?
- Feminine Women Can Cook: Home cooking marks a sign of a girly girl.
- Flowers of Femininity: A girly girl puts flowers in her hair for added cuteness.
- Girliness Upgrade: A tomboy becomes more of a girly girl.
- Girlish Pigtails: Pigtails that make a girl look both young and girly.
- Girls Love Stuffed Animals: Femininity expressed through love of stuffed animals.
- Girly Bruiser: A girly Action Girl.
- Girly Girl with a Tomboy Streak: A girly girl with some tomboyish traits; the Tomboy with a Girly Streak is an inversion.
- Girly Skirt Twirl: A common pose.
- Gonky Femme: A girly girl who looks unattractive and/or masculine.
- Graceful Ladies Like Purple: Wearing purple marks a graceful girly girl.
- Housewife: A woman whose entire life revolves around her husband and the care of his house.
- Innocent Flower Girl: A sweet, shy, reserved, girly girl whose profession is making artificial flowers or growing real ones.
- Kicking Ass in All Her Finery: An Action Girl in a Pimped-Out Dress.
- Kindly Housekeeper: A kind girl who is hired to keep the house looking nice.
- The Lady's Favour: An object of value that a girl will give her Love Interest before he goes off to battle.
- Lady Legionnaire Wear: Skirted armour makes the outfit of an Action Girl look more girly.
- Lady of Black Magic: A girly girl with great magical power.
- Lady of War: An elegant Action Girl.
- Light Feminine and Dark Feminine: Two girly girls represent different aspects of femininity, the innocent maiden and the sultry temptress.
- Lipstick-and-Load Montage: A girly girl's dressing up montage.
- Lipstick Lesbian: A girl doesn't have to be butch to like the ladies.
- Lolita Fashion: Although most of the styles are very feminine since that's the point, Classic and specially Sweet are all about looking as girly as possible.
- Long Hair Is Feminine: The longer a girl's hair is, the girlier she is.
- Lovable Alpha Bitch: A girly girl who is spoiled and shallow, but is actually a nice girl.
- Meekness is Weakness: A girl who is kind-hearted and motherly is portrayed as weak.
- Meido: A female housekeeper.
- Nothing Nice About Sugar and Spice: You thought the Alpha Bitch was bad?
- Parachute Petticoat: A petticoat or dress being use as a substitute parachute.
- Parasol of Prettiness: A ladylike accessory, and a classical sign of feminine beauty.
- Pink Means Feminine: Pink is the girliest of colors in many cultures.
- Prefers Going Barefoot: Due to their footwear being quite cumbersome and easy to remove, many girly girls tend to enjoy going barefoot.
- Pretty Princess Powerhouse: A princess who appears soft and delicate but can fight as well or better than her guards.
- Princess Classic: The archetypical delicate, innocent, sweet, and beautiful princess.
- Princess Phase: The time in a young girl's life when she idolizes all things related to princesses.
- Prone to Tears: Crying a lot is considered feminine.
- Proper Lady: A girl who is kind, feminine, and polite.
- Shrinking Violet: Most shy girls are often delicate and sweet.
- Silk Hiding Steel: A girly girl with a Hidden Badass side.
- Southern Belle: Upper-class lady from down South.
- Spirited Young Lady: Being independent, ambitious, and proto-feminist doesn't mean one can't still be a girly girl.
- Tender Tomboyishness, Foul Femininity: A Jerkass Girly Girl contrasting with a nice tomboy.
- Textile Work Is Feminine: Only girly girls can make and mend clothes.
- Tomboy Angst: A tomboy who secretly wants to be girly.
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: Another way girly girl can be identified is through comparison to a tomboyish female character.
- Tomboyness Upgrade: A girly girl becomes more tomboyish, or more of a tomboy, as time goes on.
- Tomboy with a Girly Streak: Sometimes a tomboy can have a girly side.
- Town Girls: A trio has one tomboy (Butch), one girly girl (Femme) and one that doesn't fit into either category (Neither).
- True Blue Femininity: Girly girl wears blue to indicate her femininity as a throwback to the olden days of when blue was the feminine color.
- Unwillingly Girly Tomboy: A tomboy who reluctantly wears girly clothes or is involved in feminine activities.
- Used to Be a Tomboy: A girly girl who was a tomboy in their youth.
- Vanity Is Feminine: Girly girls are identified by the way they take care of their appearances.
- Water Is Womanly: A girly girl tends to be associated with water.
- Women Are Delicate
- Yamato Nadeshiko: A mature and polite girl who is the Japanese counterpart of a Proper Lady.
- Yandere: Typical yanderes are usually girly and love-struck before turning out as violent.