The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance is an upcoming Netflix-produced series in ten episodes directed by Louis Leterrier. It is a prequel to the 1982 fantasy film directed by Jim Henson and Frank Oz, The Dark Crystal . Just like the film, it features animatronic puppets created by Jim Henson's Creature Shop and based like the film on designs by Brian Froud.
The world of Thra is dying. The Crystal of Truth is at the heart of Thra, a source of untold power. But it is damaged, corrupted by the evil Skeksis, and a sickness spreads across the land. When three Gelfling — Rian, Brea and Deet — uncover the horrific truth behind the power of the Skeksis, an adventure unfolds as the fires of rebellion are lit and an epic battle for the planet begins.
The series is scheduled for release on Netflix on August 30th, 2019. Producer Lisa Henson (daughter of Jim) ambitions to expand the series with further seasons. A video game, The Dark Crystal : Age of Resistance Tactics, was announced at E3 2019, and a comic book by Boom! Studios is also due to release.
The series has quite a substantial voice acting cast, which is detailed below.
- Taron Egerton as Rian
- Nathalie Emmanuel as Deet
- Anya Taylor-Joy as Brea
- Natalie Dormer as Onica
- Alicia Vikander as Mira
- Lena Headey as Maudra Fara
- Helena Bonham-Carter as All-Maudra
- Mark Strong as Ordon
- Harris Dickinson as Gurjin
- Hannah John-Kamen as Naia
- Eddie Izzard as Cadia
- Caitriona Balfe as Tavra
- Shazad Latif as Kylan
- Gugu Mbatha Raw as Seladon
- Toby Jones as Librarian
- Theo James as Rek'yr
- Louise Gold as Maudra Argot
- Jason Isaacs as SkekSo, the Emperor
- Simon Pegg as SkekSil, the Chamberlain
- Benedict Wong as SkekUng, the General
- Mark Hamill as SkekTek, the Scientist
- Keegan-Michael Key as SkekZok, the Ritual Master
- Neil Sterenberg as SkekOk, the Scroll-Keeper
- Ralph Ineson as SkekMal, the Hunter
- Harvey Fierstein as SkekAyuk, the Gourmand
- Alice Dinnean as SkekEkt, the Ornamentalist
- Awkwafina as SkekLach, the Collector
- Andy Samberg as SkekCru, the Heretic
- Ólafur Darri Ólafsson as the Archer
Provides examples of:
- Feathered Fiend: The Skeksis are cruel reptilian humanoids with heads of birds of prey. The trailer shows them in familiar situations from the film — feasting, imbuing themselves with the Crystal's powers and extracting the life essence of hapless creatures.
- In Case You Forgot Who Wrote It: The poster has the late Jim Henson's name added above the title of the series.
- Muppet: The production teaser shows that the characters are rendered by puppetry or animatronics just like those of the original film were, in order to retain as much continuity and faithfulness to Jim Henson's original work and techniques as possible.
- World Building: The trailer offers a good look at the world of Thra, which was populated by Gelflings before the Skeksis took over, expanding it in a manner the 1982 film couldn't due to the Gelflings being nearly extinct in it.