Past Division is a Dungeons & Dragons actual play podcast hosted by the gaming group Company of Fools. The story centers around four recently-dead misfits—the dwarven cleric Drake Hothands, the tiefling chronomancer Lucky Twice, the carolili tarocchi Lolli Rose, and the bearkin shinobi Peter Panda—their deaths, and their subsequent recruitment by the five Guardians of Time. The podcasts follows them on their missions, and the people they meet on their adventures.
A side podcast following a different party began in November of 2017. The podcast is called Time To Stop, and the party is made up of a human monk named Bojing, a half-elf warlock called Stephen, and a half-orc barbarian named Toren.
The podcast is hosted on SoundCloud, and can be listened to here.
This show provides examples of:
- An Adventurer Is You: Drake is the Healer, Lucky and Lolli are ranged DPS, and Peter is the Blademaster.
- The Baby of the Bunch: Drake, Lolli, and Peter are all young adults by their respective races' standards...and then there's seventeen-year-old Lucky Twice.
- The Big Guy: Peter, who is both physically bigger than the rest of the party and the strongest party member.
- Cards of Power: Being a tarocchi means Lolli uses her tarot deck as an arcane focus.
- Cool Old Guy: Thorn, the astral plane's Battle Master, is in his late fifties but has the statistics of a level twenty fighter.
- Dead to Begin With: The characters die just before the campaign begins; the downtime between missions takes place in the Astral Plane.
- Downer Ending: "Lost City" ends with the entire population of Carrok being brutally murdered and the city being removed from time.
- Drop the Hammer: Drake switches from a mace to a warhammer at the end of the first episode. Peter also carries a giant maul.
- Expecting Someone Taller: Thorn says this almost verbatim when he meets the Past Division.
- Funny Animal: Peter is an anthropomorphic panda bear.
- Groin Attack: Drake loves going for the junk.
- Horned Humanoid: As a tiefling, Lucky has a pretty impressive set of horns.
- Huge Guy, Tiny Girl: Peter is 7'6", Lolli is 3'3".
- Ironic Name: The girl who drank herself to death is named Lucky.
- The Medic: Drake, being a life cleric, serves as the team's healer.
- Mundane Afterlife: The astral plane (at least, the section of it responsible for the Time Masters) takes the form of a combination hotel and mall.
- Ninja: Peter, despite being The Big Guy, is a shinobi.
- Our Goblins Are Different: The goblins in "Cleanup Duty" are 5'6".
- Pandaing to the Audience: Peter Panda is obviously of the panda subrace of bearkin.
- Plant Hair: Lolli has flower petals in place of hair.
- Plant Person: Lolli is a carolili, a member of a race of sapient flower people.
- Playing with Fire: As a flameborn dwarf, Drake can innately produce fire.
- Ragtag Bunch of Misfits: Basically the only thing tying the Past Division together is that they all died at roughly the same time.
- Self-Duplication: Herbert, the villain of "Lost City", can create time remnants of himself because he's a paradox demon.
- Skewed Priorities: The party reacts to Carrok's disappearance by complaining that now they're going to be assigned to cleanup duty.
- Species Surname: Peter Panda (an anthropomorphic panda bear). To a lesser extent, Lolli Rose (a Plant Person specifically modeled after flowers).
- Team Prima Donna: Lolli has a bit of a bratty streak.
- Team Title: The podcast is called Past Division, after the title the party holds.
- Time Master: As a chronomancer, Lucky has control over time (albeit on a more limited scale than the Guardians of Time).
- Time Police: The purpose of the Time Masters, and therefore the Past Division.
- Time Stands Still: The Staff of Distort Time can do this.
- Training from Hell: Thorn puts the party through a deadly obstacle course in "Cleanup Duty".