Fire Emblem: Three Houses (Fire Emblem: Wind, Flower, Snow, Moon in Japan) is the sixteenth game of the Fire Emblem series of Turn-Based Strategy games, developed by Intelligent Systems and set to be released on the Nintendo Switch in Spring 2019. Three Houses focuses on the continent of Fódlan, where the Church of Seiros has great power over its people. The story revolves around the protagonist and the three main characters–Edelgard, Dimitri, and Claude.
New gameplay features include formations of troops supporting individual units on the battlefield.
Preview trailer: E3 2018 Trailer
Fire Emblem: Three Houses provides examples of:
- Actually Four Mooks: When zoomed out, only each squadron's leader is visible.
- Aerith and Bob: Among the four main characters, there's names like Byleth, and Edelgarde, but there's also more regular sounding names like Claude and Dmitri.
- Arbitrary Minimum Range: Averted for bows, which can attack adjacent enemies like in Shadows of Valentia.
- Breakable Weapons: After being absent in Fates and Shadows of Valentia, weapon durability returns in this game.
- Chromatic Arrangement: Edelgard, Dimitri, and Claude wear red, blue, and yellow respectively.
- Physical Goddess: The Church of Seiros reveres the divine goddess, who is stated to watch over all life on Fódlan.
- Religious and Mythological Theme Naming:
- Byleth is a variation of Beleth, a king of Hell in demonology. Fitting for a Black Knight.
- Edelgard's last name comes from Hræsvelgr, a giant from Norse Mythology who can take the form of an eagle.
- Dimitri's last name is Bladud, the name of a legendary Briton king who encouraged the practice of necromancy.
- Special Attack: Combat Arts from Shadows of Valentia return, but how they function exactly is currently unknown.
- Stance System: Characters can organize their squads into different formations, which each grant different benefits.
- Suspiciously Small Army: Averted, at least to a degree for the first time in the series outside of the side game Fire Emblem Warriors. Characters lead a small squadron of units who fight alongside them. You can even choose what formation they have.
- The Theocracy: The continent of Fódlan is this, as the Church of Seiros has immense influence over the region.