This page details the characters of Fire Emblem: Three Houses.
The main hero of the game.
- Badass Teacher: He has no compunctions about taking the front lines along with his students.
- Black Knight: He wears dark armor.
- Coat Cape: He wears his jacket in this manner. It even has a couple of cut-outs in the armpits to pull off the look.
- Dark Is Not Evil: Although he wears predominantly black armor he's a heroic individual.
- Heroes Prefer Swords: He wields swords in battle.
- In-Series Nickname: Edelgard typically calls him "teacher". It's unclear if this is a way to get around voicing his name because it's customizable.
- The Mentor: He's Edelgard's teacher. The E3 trailer shows him to be able to train her in axe and sword skills.
- Religious and Mythological Theme Naming: Byleth is a variation of Beleth, a king of Hell in demonology. Fitting for a Black Knight.
Edelgard von Hræsvelgr
Voiced by: Cristina Valenzuela (English)
One of the main characters of the game. As an Aristocrat, she can wield axes and swords. Hails from the nation of Adrastea.
- Action Girl: A heroine wielding swords, axes, AND magic, and shown in battle in the teaser trailer? Yeah, she's totally gonna be one.
- An Axe to Grind: She wields axes as one of her primary weapons, and is shown with them in the trailer.
- Dare to Be Badass: Gives a speech to this effect in the E3 teaser.Edelgard: Do you dare to walk this path with me? One misstep and we fall to our ruin... So take your first step! IT'S NOW OR NEVER!
- The Hero: Heavily implied to be the primary lord/protagonist of Three Houses given the prominence given to both her and Hræsvelgr. The crest of Hræsvelgr is prominently positioned in the arrangement of various crests on the Seal of the church◊ and can be seen on the banners of the explorable castle, giving it an impression of particular importance.
- Heroes Prefer Swords: She can use swords in battle.
- Magic Knight: The E3 teaser shows her having access to magic in addition to her physical weapons.
- Meaningful Name: Her name is German for "Noble Protector".
- Muscles Are Meaningless: Despite her waifish physique, Edelgard is a physical powerhouse who swings and twirls battleaxes around one-handed. Her stats shown so far give her a whopping 29 health at level 3, where Dmitri and Claude have 19 and 21 respectively.
- One-Handed Zweihänder: Carries and swings her axe around in one hand.
- Red Is Heroic: Wears predominately red, and she's a heroic individual.
- Religious and Mythological Theme Naming: Her last name comes from Hræsvelgr, a giant from Norse Mythology who can take the form of an eagle.
- Royals Who Actually Do Something: An aristocrat that leads from the front.
- The Von Trope Family: Von Hræsvelgr.
- Weapon Twirling: She does a little twirl at the end of her attack animation.
Dimitri Alexandre Bladud
One of the main characters of the game. He can wield lances. Hails from Fergus.
- Bishōnen: Soft facial features combined with large blue eyes.
- Blade on a Stick: He wields lances in battle.
- Blue Is Heroic: Wears predominately blue, and he's a heroic individual.
- Meaningful Name: His middle name Alexandre is the French version of Alexander, meaning "defender of the people." It's fitting for a heroic protagonist.
- Religious and Mythological Theme Naming: His last name is Bladud, the name of a legendary Briton king who encouraged the practice of necromancy.
- Royals Who Actually Do Something: He's a noble but he's nonetheless on the frontlines.
Claude von Regan
One of the main characters of the game. He can wield bows. Hails from Leicester.
- Ambiguously Brown: Noticably darker-skinned than the other characters shown.
- Ascended Extra: Not him in particular, but he's the first main character to use Bows as his main weapon type outside of Holmes in Tear Ring Saga (Alm and Lyn gain bows as a secondary weapon type).
- Bishōnen: He could pretty easily pass for a short-haired, brown-skinned woman.
- Meaningful Name: Claude is a French derivation of Claudius, the name of the famous historical Roman emperor, fitting a nobleman who leads his men into battle. His last name Regan also means "little king."
- Royals Who Actually Do Something: His status as nobility doesn't stop him from fighting alongside an army.
- The Von Trope Family: Von Regan.