Anthony: "#AfterSex"! "#AfterPoooop"! "#AfterWorkoutBuuuuutt"! "#AfterMurder"!
A Selfie Fiend is a character who is always taking selfies of themself. They're usually female and usually a teenager or 20-something. Even in inappropriate times, they'll want to take a selfie. Selfie Fiends often have a narcissistic interest in themself. They also tend to be fashion oriented.
Selfies have existed for decades, but they really caught on in the 2000s when social media became popular and smartphones became omnipresent. As a result, this is a newer trope. This trope is an evolution of Phoneaholic Teenager and often overlaps with it. The difference is that Selfie Fiends spend a lot of time on their phones taking pictures, while Phoneholic Teenagers usually use their cellphone to talk or text.
- Tsunoda in Aggretsuko is an obsessive Instagram user; as noted by Fenneko, her posts tend to follow a pattern of "selfie, dessert, latte art" and a thigh pic every thirteen days on the dot.
- Phichit Chulanont from Yuri!!! on Ice is already a Camera Fiend in general, often taking pictures for his Instagram and other social media, but he especially loves to take selfies. Victor even mentions that Phichit takes the best selfies out of anyone he's ever met.
- Blend-S: Hideri's use of his smartphone is amped up in the anime, adding a lot of original scenes of Hideri using his smartphone and taking selfies, painting him as a vapid phoneaholic teenager.
- The goddess Bastet from Oh, Suddenly Egyptian God likes to take selfies of herself and post them on Egystagram. She gets bored with it just as easily, though.
- As of the latest two chapters of Hetalia: Axis Powers, this is the defining trait of the Philippines. He carries a selfie stick with him everywhere and is constantly taking selfies or asking for selfies with the other countries.
- Hazbin Hotel: Velvet is seen taking a selfie with Vox while hiding out in Valentino's porn studio during the extermination.
- A Running Gag in Batwoman (2019) is people wanting selfies with Batwoman while she's trying to concentrate on fighting crime.
- Canada's Worst Driver: Season 10's Chanie took selfies while driving. During the distracted driving challenge, she nearly rolled the car when she hit an obstacle while trying to take a selfie.
- Shameless: When Carl and Kassidi find a dead homeless man, Kassidi insists on taking selfies with the body for Snapchat. This unsettles Carl, but he still joins her.
- Shuriken Sentai Ninninger: When he's first introduced, Sixth Ranger Kinji is also a massive Yōkai fanboy, and repeatedly tries to snap selfies with the Monster of the Week whenever it shows up. Sometimes he does this after landing the killing blow on the monster but before it suffers the genre-standard death by spontaneous explosion.
- Parodied in The Chainsmokers' song "#SELFIE". It's a parody song about party girls who enjoy taking selfies.
- The girl being talked about in the Silly Love Song "Girl Like You" by Daniel J is implied to be an Unkempt Beauty who is into taking a lot of selfies.
- Since "Noise" by Nightwish is pretty much "Social Media Is Bad: The Song", it's unsurprising that the heavily symbolical music video involves a lot of characters who do little else than take selfies.
- Pokémon World Tour: United: Whenever Rose Jenny takes a photo of a Pokemon for her Pokédex to identify, she makes it a point to make that photo a selfie of herself with that Pokemon. She will take selfies with the same kind of Pokemon more than once if given a reason, such as the Chansey stationed at various Pokemon Centers, who often dress in outfits themed to their location, like pith helmets for the Safari Zone.
- In the 2010s, the Bratz characters began incorporating this into their personalities. They're fashionable, energetic teenage girls, so all of them use social media and take selfies.
- Rabbid Peach from Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle is frequently taking selfies. It's even used in her Idle Animations.
- The Mortal Kombat, franchise, from Mortal Kombat X on, gives us Cassie Cage. Her signature Fatality has her pose for a quick selfie after dismembering a foe. Later on in Mortal Kombat 11, this would show up again for her Friendship.
- In a promotional video for Moshi Monsters, several children show what they do related to the game. One girl says she likes taking selfies with her merchandise.
- Max Caulfield, the protagonist of Life Is Strange's first game/season is a Camera Fiend who has a reputation for selfies (up to and including her final project being a selfie of her looking at selfies). Indeed pretty much the first thing you do as her (after the Cold Open) is take a selfie in class, causing her Cool Teacher to compare it to the tradition of self-portraits. Interestingly, she inverts the usual stereotype of selfie-taking teens, as it emphasises her low self-esteem and difficulty approaching other people.
- Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy: As part of the Video Game Remake's slight Setting Update, Crash's tween sister Coco is given this quirk - when she's idle, she'll pull out her phone and then either take a selfie or call someone. In Crash Team Racing Nitro-Fueled, she also does selfies when she's standing on the victory podium. Crash himself also gets in on it in one of his level clear animations in It's About Time.
- Fate/Grand Order:
- Swimsuit Medb's Noble Phantasm consists of her nonchalantly walking up to her foe before taking repeated selfies of her kicking their ass.
- Sei Shonagon will take a selfie whenever any of her skills are activated in her first and second ascensions, and also whenever she does an extra attack.
- Overwatch has D.Va show us the truth: cool girls don't look at explosions, they just turn around and take a selfie. Though note that this is probably much more her public persona than her actual personality.
- The "Sightseer" trainer class takes selfies after losing.
- Raihan from Pokémon Sword and Shield is frequently taking selfies, even mid-battle, as you can see in the page image above. This habit began as a way to remind himself of the pain of defeat, but he eventually started taking selfies even during wins.
I might have lost, but I still look good. Maybe I should snap a quick selfie...
- Celeste: Theo takes frequent selfies and encourages Madeline to join in.
- In Animal Crossing: New Horizons, visitor C.J. is a livestreamer who frequently takes pics and selfies of his latest fishing challenges.
- Super Macho Man in the Wii version of Punch-Out!! takes selfies in-between rounds during his Title Defense match. This serves as an Unbuilt Trope because he did this before selfies became popular or even socially accepted, and he only does it because he's a washed-up has-been celebrity that no longer has a camera crew following him everywhere. He also uses a full camera rather than his cell phone.
- Jimmy T. from WarioWare is another pre-smartphone example. He's well-known for snapping selfies of himself and his family while they groove out; his stage in the first game is even themed around his flip phone.
- Another Eden: Foran likes to snap photos for her social media accounts. If you have her in the party, she'll take a picture at tourist spots for the other party members.
- Plants vs. Zombies: Heroes: Zombie Hero Rustbolt is shown taking a selfie in his victory pose.
- The Duolingo Stories section features Bea trying to snap photos of herself for social media with fervor. It's an exploited trope, however, since Bea's other main trait is being a Workaholic and she quickly realized that many people in her professional sphere get jobs if they're prominent on social media, which is why she's taking the photos in the first place.
- Apex Legends has Octane, an adrenaline junkie who entertains himself by broadcasting his borderline-suicidal stunts to his social media audience. Several of his emotes involve him whipping out a selfie stick and grabbing a few snaps of himself in the middle of, for example, diving out of a dropship or using a launchpad as a trampoline.
- In the Smosh video "ADDICTED TO SELFIES", Anthony has developed an addiction to selfies. The video treats this addiction as similar to people suffering from drug addiction or alcoholism, Anthony starting out with taking selfies of himself with his cat shirtless, to him taking off his shirt and taking selfies with other people's cats out in the street and escalating all the way to trying to behead himself with a guillotine so that he can take a selfie of his lifeless corpse.
- Zee in DC Super Hero Girls is a fashionista who likes talking selfies.
- Star vs. the Forces of Evil: While Princess Smooshy's trying to steal Star's face in "Sleep Spells", she repeatedly stops to take selfies while uttering "camera phone", even if it's getting in the way of her escape. It's so silly that Disney XD made an official Stupid Statement Dance Mix of it.
- Kitty from Total Drama Presents: The Ridonculous Race carries her phone at all times and frequently takes selfies whether by herself or with the other contestants during the race to capture the different attractions of the world. Sometimes, she even takes selfies in dire situations, such as when she was sliding down the hill on an emu (due to the Ice Dancers sabotaging the sisters).
- Arcee in Transformers: Cyberverse loves taking pictures with animals and the other Autobots.