The game introduces Custom Character Variations, which allow more in-depth customization of a character's fighting style. MK1 also marks the switch from Unreal Engine 3 to 4, resulting in enhanced graphics.
As of the reveal, the characters shown thus far are:
- (Dark) Raiden
- Shao Kahn (pre-order Downloadable Content)
Previews: Announcement trailer
- Art Evolution: The technology powering MK11 is Unreal Engine 4, as opposed to 3 in previous Mortal Kombat installments. As such there is a bump in artistic style to go with it.
- Character Customization: The new Custom Character Variations system allows you to customize the fighters' moves more in-depth than before.
- Off with His Head!: It's not Mortal Kombat unless someone gets decapitated. At the end of the announcement trailer, Classic Scorpion finishes off Raiden by chopping off his head, then pulling it back towards himself with his spear.
- Your Head Asplode: In the announcement trailer, Raiden zaps Scorpion's head, causing it to explode.