Ryan Rodney Reynolds (born October 23, 1976) is a Canadian actor with dual trademarks of adept comic timing and weirdly charming cockiness. His performance as the eponymous Van Wilder made him a big star, as well as typecast him. Later, he got to branch out in big films as Wade Wilson/Deadpool in X-Men Origins: Wolverine and Hal Jordan in the Green Lantern film. He stars as Wade Wilson/Deadpool again in the Deadpool movies. In his lesser known work, he's also proven himself an exceedingly fine dramatic actor who can turn off the familiar sardonic persona. He was named one of the sexiest men alive in an issue of People magazine.
Sometimes he contributes to The Huffington Post. Be sure not to confuse him with another Canadian actor who plays a character named Malcolm Reynolds and also used to star in Two Guys, a Girl and a Pizza Place. Also, don't confuse him with the anime voice actress Ryan Reynolds.
Has a Twitter account that may serve as proof that he actually IS Deadpool.
- Two Guys, a Girl and a Pizza Place (1998 - 2001) as Michael "Berg" Bergen
- Van Wilder (2002) as Van Wilder
- Blade: Trinity (2004) as Hannibal King
- The Amityville Horror (2005) as George Lutz
- Just Friends (2005) as Chris Brander
- Waiting... (2005) as Monty
- Smokin' Aces (2006) as Richard Messner
- Definitely, Maybe (2008) as Will Hayes
- Adventureland (2009) as Mike Connell
- The Proposal (2009) as Andrew Paxton
- X-Men Film Series as Wade Wilson / Deadpool:
- Buried (2010) as Paul Steven Conroy
- Green Lantern (2011) as Hal Jordan / Green Lantern
- Family Guy (2011) as himself
- Safe House (2012) as Matt Weston
- The Croods (2013) as Guy (voice)
- R.I.P.D. (2013) as Nick Walker
- Turbo (2013) as Theo/Turbo (voice)
- The Voices (2014) as Jerry Hickfang
- Self/Less (2015) as Damian Hale / Edward Kidner / Mark Bitwell
- Woman In Gold (2015) as Randol Schoenberg
- Life (2017) as Rory Adams
- The Hitman's Bodyguard (2017) as Michael Bryce
- Pokémon: Detective Pikachu (2019) as Detective Pikachu (voice)
- Stoned Alone (unknown release date) — producer
Ryan Reynolds provides examples of:
- Deadpan Snarker: Being snarky has become such an integral part of his characters that a good role of thumb is that if his characters isn't saying something sarcastic and witty, it's a pretty good sign that shit just got real.
- Handsome Lech: Most of his characters can be described with a quote from Deadpool: "Weirdly charming cockiness."
- Mr. Fanservice: Frequently and not without reason. Even in scary roles: Best Week Ever called the remake of The Amityville Horror starring him "the scariest movie you'll ever masturbate to".
- Parody Assistance: Voiced Deadpool in his movie's Honest Trailer.
- Self-Deprecation: Especially as Deadpool. Examples include "From five time Academy Award viewer Ryan Reynolds" or "God's perfect idiot◊" in the film's opening credits. Not to mention The Stinger of Deadpool 2, where the eponymous anti-hero travels back in time to murder him before he can appear in Green Lantern.