Like in the previous film, a family moves into a Haunted House residing in Amityville, and the evil within it starts messing with them.
This film has examples of:
- Accidental Murder: George sees a demonic spirit lunging at him an starts whacks it down with an axe. Afterwards, he realizes that he has been killing the family dog instead.
- Adaptational Villainy: The possessed George Lutz. The actual George was not pleased and tried to sue the filmmakers until his death.
- Ax-Crazy: George begins to go down this path after becoming influenced by the house. Although he manages to get over it when he and his family leave.
- An Axe to Grind: When he fails to catch his family with a shotgun and loses it, George grabs the axe.
- Arc Words: "Katch 'em. Kill 'em."
- Catapult Nightmare: George sees a nightmare where he finds himself with a shotgun, which he uses to blow his brains out. He then sits up in fright as he wakes up.
- Creepy Child: Possible subversion with the ghost of Jodie DeFeo.
- Darker and Edgier: Than the original movie, due to the remake's emphasis on the shock factor and Jump Scares as well as the Adaptational Villainy of the possessed George Lutz.
- Death by Adaptation: The dog is killed by a possessed George. Not only did the dog survive the supernatural events, but the real-life George Lutz was disgusted by this twist in the movie.
- Evil Is Deathly Cold: Played with, George feels cold everywhere in the house except the basement, where the evil originates.
- Hearing Voices: George starts hearing disembodied that constantly tell him to "katch 'em, kill 'em".
- Historical Villain Upgrade: The real George Lutz never sank to the depths portrayed in the film.
- Pater Familicide: The evil in the house tries to goad George to kill his family.
- Pistol-Whipping: Kathy is unable to shoot her possessed husband, but she can knock his lights out with it.
- Shirtless Scene: George spends a scene chopping wood without a shirt.
- Single Tear: Jodie DeFeo's spirit is shown shedding a tear and smiling after the Lutzes manage to escape the house's influence... and in a final Jump Scare, she's pulled under the floor by ghostly hands.