In 2016, Ryan Reynolds got a hell of a Career Resurrection and a new bout of fame portraying the titular Merc with the Mouth in Deadpool. Earning a lot more money than he ever did, he decided to pursue his personal passion project of owning his own gin label and in 2018 chose to buy a share of Aviation American Gin, which itself got a hell of a boost in name with Reynolds now an owner.
Besides the obvious, we mention Deadpool because at this point, Reynolds is Deadpool and it's better to just let him do whatever the hell he wanted with marketing. Hence, when he bought Aviation, he proceeded to go full Wade Wilson with how he intended to promote his product: making a total ass of himself and just going full meta.
- Apologetic Attacker: The farmers at Aviation apologize to each and every juniper berry picked before beating the hell out of them.
- Badass Beard: The Aviation farmers are practically vikings.
- Blasphemous Boast: "Aviation Gin: it tastes like God cried in your mouth...(that's gonna get us into trouble)."
- Be Yourself: Richard Branson of Virgin Airlines tries to get Reynolds to tone down the Deadpool part of him when announcing their partnership, encouraging him to just be himself. Reynolds doesn't listen and Branson ends up storming off.
- The Cameo: Andy King appears at the end of "Dedication," who empathizes with and is inspired by Reynolds' commitment to "blowing for his company" to buy a glass of Aviation.
- Continuity Nod: The set Gordon Reynolds interviews Ryan in is the same as the GQ one he did. Which probably means Jake Gyllenhaal is still working as the boom mic operator off-screen.
- Crossover: With Laughing Man Coffee, owned by Sitcom Archnemesis Hugh Jackman. Calling a temporary truce to their rivalry over social media, the two created ads for each other's businesses.
- Deadpan Snarker:
- Again, we're at the point where nobody knows where Ryan Reynolds begins and Deadpool ends.
- Hugh Jackman demonstrates shades of this in his ad for Aviation.
- Destroy the Product Placement:
- Hugh Jackman intentionally wastes an entire bottle just to spite Reynolds.
- Reynolds partook in the Bottle Cap Challenge with a bottle of Aviation...only to kick it onto the floor and run away when things go downhill.
- Does This Remind You of Anything?: Reynolds was so amazed by Aviation that instead of buying another bottle, he bought the whole company and to prove his commitment, "blew every single bottle personally." After "blowing" away the remaining dust from making a signature bottle, Reynolds is reduced to tears as he narrates "can you ever go too far for your company?" The ad then ends with Andy King giving his approval and buying a glass.
- Everyone Has Standards: Reynolds uveils Aviation's new slogan "If you're not drinking Aviation American Gin, you have 6 months 2 live" and is horrified by how insane his marketing department has gotten.
- I Need a Freaking Drink: Starred in an exercise bike commercial that had accidental sexist and classist connotations and humiliated you? Aviation Gin is here to help drown your sorrows.Monica Ruiz: This gin is really smooth.
- Manly Tears: Reynolds personally blows bottles of Aviation and goes tear-eyed after he finishes.
- Oh, Crap!:
- Hugh Jackman when he realizes that Ryan was being sincere about calling a truce.
- Reynolds when he sees that the new slogan is "If You Don't Drink Aviation American Gin, You Have 6 Months 2 Live."
- Self-Deprecation: If not for the gin, you'd think these ads were just about how much Reynolds hated himself.
- In "The Process," he professes to be a coward who is frightened by "non-celebrities" and is implied to be so depressed over his life choices that the gin's juniper is moistened by his own tears.
- His apparent twin brother Gordon does nothing but make fun of Ryan.
- Sincerity Mode: Reynolds created a sincere and uplifting ad for Hugh Jackman's company Laughing Man Coffee. Jackman is thrown for a loop because he figured their truce was a joke and had made a vitriolic ad for Aviation where he calls Reynolds a "complete and total fucking asshole" before letting a bottle of the gin completely spill out on a table.
- Sitcom Archnemesis: Ryan Reynolds has one in the form of Hugh Jackman.
- Take That!: "The Gift That Doesn't Give Back" is one towards the "The Gift That Gives Back" Peloton commercial and the grief it brought to its main actress, who appears in the ad.
- Verbal Backspace: "Aviation American Gin: You'll actually die! [Beat as Reynolds realizes what he just said] From happiness."