The number 69 is often used to refer to a particular sex act (specifically, two participants performing oral sex on each-other at the same time), which is why it's often used for jokes. It's also a good source of Getting Crap Past the Radar since most children won't get it. If the number is mentioned by a character, the other character is likely to react with Heh Heh, You Said "X".
Not to be confused with 6 Is 9.
- In Sword Art Online Abridged, Klein named his character BallsDeep69, claiming that it was just a goof to get used to the game and he would make a more serious character later. Too bad for him he (and everyone else) winds up trapped in the game, and despite his best efforts everyone continues to call him by his Atrocious Alias.
- Fate/Stay Night: Unlimited Blade Works Abridged: Rin reveals she set up 68 magical booby traps to try to kill Shirou. A few seconds later, she grudgingly admits it was 69 traps, but she didn't want to sound crass.
- This Zootopia fan comic plays with this and other common number gags: Nick and Judy come across a road sign with a 69 mph speed limit. They think it's hilarious, as well they do a 420 address number, and even when they go to the store and get charged $6.66 for supplies.
- In the Star Trek: Voyager "The Killer Dame" (a Parody Fic of "The Killing Game"), Seven of Nine is a female French Resistance fighter called Sioxante Neuf.
Janeway: Well that name sounds very...French.
- Dragon Ball Z Abridged alluded to this via Astonishingly Appropriate Interruption with Bulma gushing over how hot Zarbon is:
Bulma: I just wanna grab him and —
[Smash Cut to Goku doing ab crunches elsewhere]
Goku: Sixty-nine, seventy...
- Avengers: Endgame: Thor, Korg, and Miek are playing Fortnite against what's implied to be a pre-teen boy who has dubbed himself NoobMaster69. And they're losing.
- Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure: Bill and Ted seem to have an affinity for this number.
- As a Trust Password, Bill and Ted ask their future selves what number they're thinking of, and they reply, "69, dudes!"
- Bill says they went back to the year 1269 to pick up a Genghis Khan, though Khan actually died in 1227.
- An early version of the script had them time-traveling using a 1969 Chevrolet van, though the writers decided this too closely resembled Back to the Future.
- This exchange from Goon, discussing jersey numbers:
Rollie: What number you wanna wear?
Ryan: 69! Take the number 69, It's hilarious!
Doug: Is that number taken?
- In 30 Minutes or Less, the code to shut down the bomb vest the protagonist is trapped in is 69-69-69. Dwayne (the Big Bad) says that it's his favorite sex position as a justification for that.
- Billy Madison: Miss Vaughn's entire third-grade class giggles when she announces that they will be reading from a story called "My Friend Fanny." Idiot Hero Billy is the only one still laughing when she then instructs them to open their books to page 69.
- According to the show's creators, Agent 99 from Get Smart was originally supposed to be Agent 69, but they couldn't get it past the censors.
- The Good Place: In "Best Self", when the cast is discussing which iterations of them from the hundreds of Groundhog Day Loops were the best people, Jason suggests it could have been the 69th or the 420th. Eleanor high-fives him for it.
- On How I Met Your Mother, the gang discovers that Robin was on a children's educational show at the height of her pop star career. It's also discovered the show has a number of Getting Crap Past the Radar style moments. At one point, Robin and her co-host have to solve simple math problems to travel through time. The third one is "twenty-three times three", but Barney shuts it off before we hear the answer.
- On The Last Man on Earth, Mike is able to guess that the combination to his brother's safe is 6969.
- A Late Night with Conan O'Brien bit had Conan interviewing Bill Clinton (actually, Robert Smigel's lips superimposed over Clinton's face). While discussing his appearance on 60 Minutes, Clinton said he wanted to add 9 minutes to the show.
- On Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt, Kimmy takes a career aptitude test and it tells her to consider the career with job code 69. Ever the innocent, her reaction is "I know that's funny, but I don't know why."
- On a French version of Family Feud, a contestant responded to the question "Name a dangerous number [performed] at the circus" with "69".
- Immature contestants on The Price Is Right have inevitably used $69 or prices otherwise ending in 69 as bids on Contestants' Row. One of the first such incidents under then-new host Drew Carey was taken in stride, and there was one instance when someone who bid $69 got on stage because everyone else overbid.
- In the Mystery Science Theater 3000 episode Red Zone Cuba, Mike and the bots are playing bingo when number 69 is called. Crow looks straight at the camera and says under his breath "69! Hehehe!"
- In Orange Is the New Black, Red sends Piper a message via a The Book Cipher variant (circling letters to spell). Piper's cellmate tells her to check that page.
Beth: Try page 69. They're always putting it there, think they're so tricky. Lame.
- Nicky sends Red a message the same way, and it as well is on Page 69.
- Bowling for Soup: The very end of the song "99 Biker Friends", which has nothing to do with anything sexual, contains the repeated background line "Just wanna mention this, 69 lesbians..." as Jaret continues to sing the actual song.
- "Summer of '69" by Bryan Adams gives a double euphemism whenever he sings about the year 1969. Bryan Adams' cowriter Jim Vallance (who was 17 in the summer of 1969) insists "Summer of '69" is an innocent reference to the year. Adams himself (who was just 9 years old in 1969, not a teenager as the song implies) claims just as strongly that it's a deliberate Double Entendre.
- Ninja Sex Party:
- They have a ten minute song where Danny and Brian take a time machine to the year 6969, thinking it'll be "a billion person orgy in an ocean of whipped cream". Subverted in that the year is actually a Dystopia, where sex and human touch in general has been outlawed, but played straight after they free everyone from their oppressors.
- It's also mentioned in the lyrics of "Orgy for One" (which is about nobody showing up to Danny's orgy so he ends up having a glorified "self-love" session instead).
Sixty-nine without the nine
- Jossed by Question Mark (of Question Mark and the Mysterians), when he said that his group's hit "96 Tears" was NOT intended to be called "69 Tears" but changed because of the sex reference.
- R.E.M.'s "Star 69" has a double double-entendre, the "Star" is according to Word of God intended to be understood in the same way as in "Star Me Kitten".
- Rick James had a song called "She Blew My Mind (69 Times)", including the lyric "You turn my head around, you turn me upside down".
- "Little 69" by the Rubettes is a car, and nothing else - but today you can't hear the lyrics without snickering. Especially the "little"...
- The Adventure Zone: Balance: Numerous times in the live show episodes. Taako once refused to allow Merle to heal him, because he had exactly 69 hitpoints left.
- Rather constantly invoked by NFL tight-end/wide-receiver Rob Gronkowski of the New England Patriots, who will never turn down any opportunity to use the number in question, including asking his coach to wear it, giggling whenever someone mentions it, and even contriving a mention or two in casual conversation so he can giggle. When asked how much he'd pay to be allowed to have 69 as his jersey number, his answer? $69,000.
- His old high school basketball coach even recounted a story about how Gronk deliberately missed a free throw in a home game just to keep the score at 69.
- George Carlin alluded to this in his final stand-up special after his 70th birthday; he likes being 70, he claims, but not as much as he liked being 69.
"I guess now I'm 69 with 1 finger up my ass!"
- As described in the "Fallout Bible" from the original Fallout games, there exists Vaults 68 and 69. The social experiment of Vault 68 is 1 woman living among 999 men, whereas Vault 69 is 1 man living among 999 women.
- Fruit Ninja has an achievement titled "TEE HEE" which is earned for getting exactly 69 points in one game.
- As a Call-Back to Fruit Ninja, Jetpack Joyride gives you the achievement "TEE HEE TWO" if you earn 69 coins in one game.
- Grand Theft Auto LOVES this trope.
- Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas
- The airstrips have the number at the end of them.
- There are 69 pictures of UFOs at the Lil' Probe Inn.
- The military base is named "Area 69".
- The San Fierro 69ers, an obvious parody of the San Fransisco 49ers.
- Subverted in Grand Theft Auto V as an area resembling Route 66 was named Route 69 in the beta but was renamed to Route 68 in the finished product.
- Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas
- House Party: Vicky Vixen (an in-universe porn star) has the phone number of 555-6969.
- The Impossible Quiz is the Trope Namer.
- In the first game, question 69 asks "Are you enjoying the quiz?" The correct answer is "LOL, 69".
- In the second game, question 69 asks "69-67=?" Suprisingly, the answer is not "LOL", but clicking 2 on the bomb.
- In the second game, the final question is a grid of numbers from 1 to 100. The exact question is randomly chosen, one of which is simply "LOL". The answer is, of course, 69.
- In Chapter 2 of Book, question 69 simply says "LOL 69" with an arrow pointing to the question number to signify this even further. The question number must be pressed 69 times to proceed.
- Leisure Suit Larry Reloaded has the disco club called "Club 69".
- In Mass Effect 3 the Citadel DLC there is a party with all previous companions where you can overhear all manner of conversations. Several Science characters start drunkenly listing the elements, complete with number of protons/electrons and atomic weight. When Tali says "Sixty-nine-" Jack calls out "In your dreams!" None of the aliens get the joke, Traynor says she'll explain later. Garrus will chime in and say that it's Thulium for anyone who cares.
- Oscar displays "Take 69" on film director's equipment before starting the level. ProJared and The Angry Video Game Nerd certainly noticed it in their reviews of the game.
- In Pump It Up XX, play on Co-op Mode 69 times to be rewarded the Lovers title.
- Putt-Putt and Pep's Balloon-o-Rama's level 69 has pink balloons arranged in the shape of a heart, which soon fills up with white balloons.
- Shin Megami Tensei II: Mara, a giant penis monster on a chariot with blades, appears as a boss at level 69.
- Super Mario RPG: There is an item called a Muku Cookie that can be purchased for 69 coins. When used, it restores 69 HP.
- You Don't Know Jack: One of the animated openings to a question have a six and a nine rolling down a valley. It's slowed down in one of the episodes to make it painfully obvious.
- Deep Space 69 is a comedic and incredibly NSFW web animation.
- A subtle example in Courage the Cowardly Dog: In "Hothead", Eustace is asked the question "What is 414 divided by 6?" The answer is never given, but if one were to plug it into a calculator, the answer is 69.
- The Fairly OddParents!: In the episode "Smarty Pants", during the quiz bee, after AJ answers "gluteus maximus", the number point hovers from a "69" to a "70".
- The Simpsons: In "The Saga of Carl", Homer's number contribution to a lottery pool is 69, because it makes people laugh (though he himself doesn't know why).
- The Powerpuff Girls: In "Something's a Ms.", Ms. Bellum's home address is revealed to be "69 Yodelinda Valley".
- Tripping the Rift features a Sex Bot character called "Six of Nine", in a parody of Star Trek: Voyager's Seven of Nine.
- One episode of American Dad! had Camp Gay news anchors Greg Corbin and Terry Bates comment on a recent economic recession by saying that the numbers are so low they could only do a 68 last night.
- Street sign theft is a constant problem for this and some other numbers, notably 420 and 666. According to That Other Wiki, Route 69 in New Jersey was renumbered Route 31 in 1967. State Highway 69 in Texas was renumbered to 112 in 1992, and State Route 69 in Utah became State Route 38 in 1994. Interstate 69 and US-Highway 69 have not (yet) been changed. The state of Colorado has replaced the 69 mile markers with signs that read 68.99 instead.
- According to Twitter personality @dril, having a blood pressure of 420 over 69note warrants a boisterous celebration while everyone else tries to tell you that you're dying.