The number 69 is slang for a particular sex act (specifically, two participants performing oral sex on each other at the same time), which is why it's often used for jokes. It's also a good source of Getting Crap Past the Radar since most children won't get it. If the number is mentioned by a character, the other character is likely to react with Heh Heh, You Said "X".
Not to be confused with 6 Is 9.
- In Sword Art Online Abridged, Klein named his character BallsDeep69, claiming that it was just a goof to get used to the game and he would make a more serious character later. Too bad for him he (and everyone else) winds up trapped in the game, and despite his best efforts everyone continues to call him by his Atrocious Alias.
- Fate/Stay Night: Unlimited Blade Works Abridged: Rin reveals she set up 68 magical booby traps to try to kill Shirou. A few seconds later, she grudgingly admits it was 69 traps, but she didn't want to sound crass.
- This Zootopia fan comic plays with this and other common number gags: Nick and Judy come across a road sign with a 69 mph speed limit. They think it's hilarious, as well they do a 420 address number, and even when they go to the store and get charged $6.66 for supplies.
- In the Star Trek: Voyager "The Killer Dame" (a Parody Fic of "The Killing Game"), Seven of Nine is a female French Resistance fighter called Sioxante Neuf.
Janeway: Well that name sounds very...French.
- Dragon Ball Z Abridged alluded to this via Astonishingly Appropriate Interruption with Bulma gushing over how hot Zarbon is:
Bulma: I just wanna grab him and —
[Smash Cut to Goku doing ab crunches elsewhere]
Goku: Sixty-nine, seventy...
- The Real Time Fan Dub of Sonic Adventure 2 has Shadow use this as a gag Social Security number. The password is the equally surreal 'eatmyasshole'.
Hot Shot: Awwwwww, that's not an actual passwooooooord...!
- Exploited Trope in the XCOM: RWBY Within sequel XCOM: Remnant Unknown. A combat engineer from XCOM, whom everyone knows for his dirty jokes, when separated from the rest of XCOM, broadcasts a coded distress signal. Another XCOM radio tech easily picks up on this, telling his CO that said signal "looks like a cock and balls sir. Centered on the 69 megahertz bandwidth.".
- Learning And Sburbing's Chapter "69 lmao". The author then has to explain herself on the AN for chapter 71.
- Captain Proton and the Planet of Lesbians starts at Chapter 69, after Previously On cliffhanger for a non-existent Chapter 68.
- Avengers: Endgame: After the five-year timeskip, Thor, Korg, and Miek are playing Fortnite against what's implied to be a pre-teen boy who has dubbed himself NoobMaster69. And they're losing.
- Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure: Bill and Ted seem to have an affinity for this number.
- As a Trust Password, Bill and Ted ask their future selves what number they're thinking of, and they reply, "69, dudes!"
- Bill says they went back to the year 1269 to pick up a Genghis Khan, though Khan actually died in 1227.
- An early version of the script had them time-traveling using a 1969 Chevrolet van, though the writers decided this too closely resembled Back to the Future.
- This exchange from Goon, discussing jersey numbers:
Rollie: What number you wanna wear?
Ryan: 69! Take the number 69, It's hilarious!
Doug: Is that number taken?
- In 30 Minutes or Less, the code to shut down the bomb vest the protagonist is trapped in is 69-69-69. Dwayne (the Big Bad) says that it's his favorite sex position as a justification for that.
- Billy Madison: Miss Vaughn's entire third-grade class giggles when she announces that they will be reading from a story called "My Friend Fanny." Idiot Hero Billy is the only one still laughing when she then instructs them to open their books to page 69.
- According to the show's creators, Agent 99 from Get Smart was originally supposed to be Agent 69, but they couldn't get it past the censors.
- The Good Place: In "Best Self", when the cast is discussing which iterations of them from the hundreds of Groundhog Day Loops were the best people, Jason suggests it could have been the 69th or the 420th (itself another inherently funny number). Eleanor high-fives him for it.
- On How I Met Your Mother, the gang discovers that Robin was on a children's educational show at the height of her pop star career. It's also discovered the show has a number of Getting Crap Past the Radar style moments. At one point, Robin and her co-host have to solve simple math problems to travel through time. The third one is "twenty-three times three", but Barney shuts it off before we hear the answer.
- On The Last Man on Earth, Mike is able to guess that the combination to his brother's safe is 6969.
- A Late Night with Conan O'Brien bit had Conan interviewing Bill Clinton (actually, Robert Smigel's lips superimposed over Clinton's face). While discussing his appearance on 60 Minutes, Clinton said he wanted to add 9 minutes to the show.
- On Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt, Kimmy takes a career aptitude test and it tells her to consider the career with job code 69. Ever the innocent, her reaction is "I know that's funny, but I don't know why."
- On a French version of Family Feud, a contestant responded to the question "Name a dangerous number [performed] at the circus" with "69".
- Immature contestants on The Price Is Right have inevitably used $69 or prices otherwise ending in 69 as bids on Contestants' Row. One of the first such incidents under then-new host Drew Carey was taken in stride, and there was one instance when someone who bid $69 got on stage because everyone else overbid.
- In the Mystery Science Theater 3000 episode Red Zone Cuba, Mike and the bots are playing bingo when number 69 is called. Crow looks straight at the camera and says under his breath "69! Hehehe!"
Tom: Hey, my favorite number!
- Another episode, Riding With Death, has a mechanical readout clicking upwards past 68.
Tom: Yeah, I love 70.
- In Orange Is the New Black, Red sends Piper a message via a The Book Cipher variant (circling letters to spell). Piper's cellmate tells her to check that page.
Beth: Try page 69. They're always putting it there, think they're so tricky. Lame.
- Nicky sends Red a message the same way, and it as well is on Page 69.
- In the episode "Michaels Birthday" of The Office (US), Jim and Pam buy Kevin 69 containers of cup ramen, because "it's his favorite number."
- While undercover at an auction, Lucifer uses a paddle with 69 on it.
- Bowling for Soup: The very end of the song "99 Biker Friends", which has nothing to do with anything sexual, contains the repeated background line "Just wanna mention this, 69 lesbians..." as Jaret continues to sing the actual song.
- "Summer of '69" by Bryan Adams gives a double euphemism whenever he sings about the year 1969. Bryan Adams' cowriter Jim Vallance (who was 17 in the summer of 1969) insists "Summer of '69" is an innocent reference to the year. Adams himself (who was just 9 years old in 1969, not a teenager as the song implies) claims just as strongly that it's a deliberate Double Entendre.
- Rapper Daniel Hernandez's stage name, 6ix9ine (or Tekashi69), reflecting his vulgar style. He also has over 200 tattoos of the number 69 on his body.
- Ninja Sex Party:
- They have a ten minute song - called "6969" - where Danny and Brian take a time machine to the year 6969, thinking it'll be "a billion person orgy in an ocean of whipped cream". Subverted in that the year is actually a Dystopia, where sex and human touch in general has been outlawed, but played straight after they free everyone from their oppressors.
- It's also mentioned in the lyrics of "Orgy for One" (which is about nobody showing up to Danny's orgy so he ends up having a glorified "self-love" session instead).
Sixty-nine without the nine
- Jossed by Question Mark (of Question Mark and the Mysterians), when he said that his group's hit "96 Tears" was NOT intended to be called "69 Tears" but changed because of the sex reference.
- R.E.M.'s "Star 69" has a double double-entendre, the "Star" is according to Word of God intended to be understood in the same way as in "Star Me Kitten".
- Rick James had a song called "She Blew My Mind (69 Times)", including the lyric "You turn my head around, you turn me upside down".
- "Little 69" by the Rubettes is a car, and nothing else - but today you can't hear the lyrics without snickering. Especially the "little"...
- On Tool's album Undertow, there are 59 blank tracks in order to make the last song ("Disgustipated") be track 69.
- Surprisingly also Jossed with 69 Love Songs. Magnetic Fields' frontman Stephen Merritt said any innuendo implied by the title was unintentional and the number was chosen just because it was fun to draw for the cover.
- The Adventure Zone: Balance:
- Numerous times in the live show episodes. Taako once refused to allow Merle to heal him, because he had exactly 69 hitpoints left.
- The Balance Arc concluded with Episode 69, much to the amusement of the boys.
- In WCW, Rocco Rock of The Public Enemy had "00" on the back of his gear and Johnny Grunge had "69," sometimes with the words "Naughty Macdaddy." (Rocco's would read "Violent Macdaddy.")
- Meanwhile, in WWE, D-Generation X, befitting their "Suck It" Catchphrase, had sports jerseys they wore and sold around 99-2000 with 69 being the number designation and the name saying "Suck It!"
- Rather constantly invoked by NFL tight-end/wide-receiver Rob Gronkowski of the New England Patriots, who will never turn down any opportunity to use the number in question, including asking his coach to wear it, giggling whenever someone mentions it, and even contriving a mention or two in casual conversation so he can giggle. When asked how much he'd pay to be allowed to have 69 as his jersey number, his answer? $69,000. His old high school basketball coach even recounted a story about how Gronk deliberately missed a free throw in a home game just to keep the score at 69.
- The aptly named Woody Peoples was an NFL guard who wore the number 69.
- 69 and 97 are the only numbers not worn by any members of the Pro Football Hall of Fame. 43 was down there with them until 2019, when Troy Polamalu (#43 on the Steelers) was inducted.
- No player in NBA history has worn 69. Dennis Rodman tried when he signed with Dallas in 1999, but the league office prevented him, forcing him to wear the number 70.
- Richard Jefferson will never miss an opportunity to sneak in a "nice" whenever the number is mentioned during a broadcast he is commenting on.
- George Carlin alluded to this in his final stand-up special after his 70th birthday; he likes being 70, he claims, but not as much as he liked being 69.
I guess now I'm 69 with 1 finger up my ass!
- Clarence's Big Chance: It's revealed at the date that Clarence named his dating profile "StudMuffin69".
- Duke Nukem Forever ends with Duke campaigning to become the 69th President Of The United States. Additionally, the Devastator has a maximum ammo capacity of 69.
- As described in the "Fallout Bible" from the original Fallout games, there exists Vaults 68 and 69. The social experiment of Vault 68 is 1 woman living among 999 men, whereas Vault 69 is 1 man living among 999 women.
- Fruit Ninja has an achievement titled "TEE HEE" which is earned for getting exactly 69 points in one game.
- As a Call-Back to Fruit Ninja, Jetpack Joyride gives you the achievement "TEE HEE TWO" if you earn 69 coins in one game.
- Grand Theft Auto LOVES this trope.
- Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas
- The airstrips have the number at the end of them.
- There are 69 pictures of UFOs at the Lil' Probe Inn.
- The military base is named "Area 69".
- The San Fierro 69ers, an obvious parody of the San Fransisco 49ers.
- Subverted in Grand Theft Auto V as an area resembling Route 66 was named Route 69 in the beta but was renamed to Route 68 in the finished product.
- Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas
- House Party: Vicky Vixen (an in-universe porn star) has the phone number of 555-6969.
- The Impossible Quiz is the Trope Namer.
- In the first game, question 69 asks "Are you enjoying the quiz?" The correct answer is "LOL, 69".
- In the second game, question 69 asks "69-67=?" Suprisingly, the answer is not "LOL", but clicking 2 on the bomb.
- In the second game, the final question is a grid of numbers from 1 to 100. The exact question is randomly chosen, one of which is simply "LOL". The answer is, of course, 69.
- In Chapter 2 of Book, question 69 simply says "LOL 69" with an arrow pointing to the question number to signify this even further. The question number must be pressed 69 times to proceed.
- Leisure Suit Larry:
- In Mass Effect 3 the Citadel DLC there is a party with all previous companions where you can overhear all manner of conversations. Several Science characters start drunkenly listing the elements, complete with number of protons/electrons and atomic weight. When Tali says "Sixty-nine-" Jack calls out "In your dreams!" None of the aliens get the joke, Traynor says she'll explain later. Garrus will chime in and say that it's Thulium for anyone who cares.
- NGU IDLE gives you a Steam achievement entitled "How Immature" if you have a full set of equipment leveled up exactly to 69.
- Oscar displays "Take 69" on film director's equipment before starting the level. ProJared and The Angry Video Game Nerd certainly noticed it in their reviews of the game.
- In Pump It Up XX, the Cosmetic Award title "Lovers" is unlocked by playing 69 co-operative routine charts.
- Putt-Putt and Pep's Balloon-o-Rama's level 69 has pink balloons arranged in the shape of a heart, which soon fills up with white balloons.
- Horny Devil Lilith from Rabi-Ribi has an attack that stuns Erina before she closes in on her and the screen fades to black. Whatever she does to Erina, it deals 3 hits for 69 damage each.
- Shin Megami Tensei II: Mara, a giant penis monster on a chariot with blades, appears as a boss at level 69.
- The StepMania theme "Simply Love" has an easter egg that lists "Nice!" (and in some versions, plays a voice clip of someone saying "Nice") if your score or any of the judgment counts contain the number 69. And then there was a moment in UK Sight Reading Tournament X where someone scored 69.69% on a song, to the amusement and cheers of the audience.
- TRON: Solar Sailer for the Intellivision prominently displays "01000101" (69 in binary) during Attract Mode because one of the programmers was feeling mischievous.
- You Don't Know Jack: In 2011, the animated opening to question nine has two nines nine rolling down a hill, briefly resembling a number 69. In episode 69, it's slowed down to make the joke painfully obvious to those who missed it before.
- In S.S.D.D a randomly-selected TV channel ending in 69 turns out to be porn.
- Questionable Content: Pintsize commissions Faye and Bubbles to make a giant metal penis for him. When he specifies that he wants balls to go with it, Faye says it'll cost extra — 69 bucks, to be specific.
Pintsize: DAMN it, you KNOW I can't resist the funny sex number! Also, NICE
- On Twitter, one tweet by the Surreal Humor account "wint" (@dril) combines this trope with another number that gets a lot of chuckles:
the doctor reveals my blood pressure is 420 over 69. i hoot & holler outta the building while a bunch of losers try to tell me that im dying
- In "112 New Things In XCOM 2: War of the Chosen" by YouTube channel Eurogamer, the numbers count up in the top right corner. Between 68 and 70 comes "The sex number."
- In Kollok 1991 They use this as the answer to 'what's the temperature, so they can be sure they haven't been replaced.
- PIMPNITE seems to like the number 69:
- Several of his Pokémon have nicknames that include the number 69: he has used a Cosmoem named "69MillionKG", a Drampa named "69 Years Old", a Duralodon named "69 Floors" and a Solrock named "69 Degrees".
- At least one of his videos features a level 69 Roggenrola.
- In the Gen VIII games, his jersey number is 69.
- In the Atop the Fourth Wall episode dealing with Zero Hour, Linkara, upon noting the caption box reading Gotham City. 69 Hours Ago., replies Now we know what time it is. Nnnice time.
- One episode of American Dad! had Camp Gay news anchors Greg Corbin and Terry Bates comment on a recent economic recession by saying that the numbers are so low they could only do a 68 last night.
- Bob's Burgers: In "Now We're Not Cooking With Gas", Bob gets frustrated when he can't start the oven to cook his Thanksgiving turkey, and he wonders if they forgot to pay the gas bill. Linda says that she remembers paying the bill because "The check number ended in 69, and we high-fived."
- A subtle example in Courage the Cowardly Dog: In "Hothead", Eustace is asked the question "What is 414 divided by 6?" The answer is never given, but if one were to plug it into a calculator, the answer is 69.
- The Fairly OddParents: In the episode "Smarty Pants", during the quiz bee, after AJ answers "gluteus maximus", the number point hovers from a "69" to a "70".
- Harley Quinn (2019): In "The Line", Kite Man's apartment number is "66", but he turned the second 6 upside down to turn it into a 9 and laughs about it.
- The Powerpuff Girls: In "Something's a Ms.", Ms. Bellum's home address is revealed to be "69 Yodelinda Valley".
- The Simpsons: In "The Saga of Carl", Homer's number contribution to a lottery pool is 69, because it makes people laugh (though he himself doesn't know why).
- Tripping the Rift features a Sex Bot character called "Six of Nine", in a parody of Star Trek: Voyager's Seven of Nine.
- Street sign theft is a constant problem for this and some other numbers, notably 420 and 666. According to That Other Wiki, Route 69 in New Jersey was renumbered Route 31 in 1967. State Highway 69 in Texas was renumbered to 112 in 1992, and State Route 69 in Utah became State Route 38 in 1994. Interstate 69 and US-Highway 69 have not (yet) been changed. The state of Colorado has replaced the 69 mile markers with signs that read 68.99 instead.
- There's also exit 69 off Interstate 75 in the city of Troy, Michigan, which leads to a road called Big Beaver Road. The juxtaposition of exit number and innuendo has been lost on very few.
- There is the M69 from the M1 to Coventry. Occasionally signs have been stolen, and it is a running joke amongst lorry drivers that there are times you don't mind being sent to Coventry....
- In 2019, the spacecraft New Horizons flew past the distant Kuiper belt object 2014 MU69, and since, as one of the crew put it, "Anything is better than MU69", they settled on "Ultima Thule" as a convenient nickname. Unfortunately, that provoked an even worse reaction, since "Thule", the farthest northern island in Greek cartography, had been coopted by Nazis as the mythic homeland of the Nordic people. Thankfully, the team eventually resolved the issue by naming the object "Arrokoth", the Pawhatan word for "sky."
- In the days when defamation actions in Britain still had juries, there was a slander case (Wraith v. Wraith) in which a man sued his estranged wife for claiming that he had given her a sexually-transmitted disease that he had caught from a sex worker in Amsterdam. The jury were unimpressed that the case was worthwhile, and gave the husband damages of £69, which they explained away to the judge as their understanding of the cost of a glass of sparkling wine in an Amsterdam clip joint.
- In honor of what would have been Robin Williams's 69th birthday, his daughter Zelda donated $69.69 to as many homeless shelters as she could.