Musically seducing all the hotties!
Brian's a ninja!
Danny's a hot Jew!
And we are best friends!
Yeah! We are best friends, it's true!
Ninja Sex Party is a musical comedy duo that originated from New York and is currently based in Los Angeles. consisting of Danny Sexbang (Dan Avidan) and Ninja Brian (Brian Wecht). Danny sings while Ninja Brian handles the production.
To date, the band has four original albums out: NSFW (2011), Strawberries and Cream (2013), Attitude City (2015), and Cool Patrol (2018). They also have a separate series of cover albums of classic rock and pop songs from the '70s and '80s named Under the Covers, with usual backing instrumentation from the Canadian group Tupper Ware Remix Party (better known as TWRP). The series currently consists of three installments - the first one in 2016, second in 2017, and third in 2019.
The duo rely heavily on their developed characters to write humorous lyrics. Danny Sexbang is a Jewish man who is the world's most handsome, erotic lover, according only to himself. To this end, songs often involve Danny's humorous attempts to flirt with and impress a girl, which amount to crude sexual advances and aggrandising of his own achievements, often to the level of absurdity. Ninja Brian is a homicidal, sociopathic and incredibly deadly ninja with an array of killing methods both mundane and fantastic, and a bizarre obsession with Dan, which often results in most people around Danny dying in horrific ways. He is never seen without his mask (with a sole exception, listed below). Many videos also end with Brian killing Dan.
Also, Danny and Brian are both members of Game Grumps. Danny has co-hosted the main show with Egoraptor as "Not-So-Grump" since 2013, when the original "Not-So-Grump" (JonTron) left, and additionally co-founded its sister show Steam Train. Brian is the most recent addition to the show, becoming an official Grump in November 2015. The band also collaborated with Egoraptor for Starbomb.
- NSFW (2011)
- Strawberries and Cream (2013)
- Attitude City (2015)
- Under the Covers (2016)
- Under the Covers, Vol. II (2017)
- Cool Patrol (2018)
- Under the Covers, Vol. III (2019)
They also did the opening theme for Mighty Magiswords.
Their music contains examples of:
- Achievements in Ignorance: When they covered "Africa" by Toto, Danny was completely unaware that the verses and choruses were originally sung by two different people with very different vocal ranges, and sang both parts by himself.
- Affectionate Parody: 6969 is a sex-themed parody of Rush's 2112 (fitting, considering Rush is Danny's favorite band).
- All Girls Want Bad Boys: Danny tries to impress a girl who's "played it safe" all her life on their first date by breaking the rules - which escalates into breaking the law and killing five people in one night. Backfires when she falls for the more evil and violent Ninja Brian instead by the end of the song.
- Album Title Drop: They do this a lot:
- In "Unicorn Wizard":Then we retire to the Chamber of Passion
And bathe in a pool of strawberries and cream
- "Cool Patrol" is basically an ode to this as well.
- A borderline example occurs in their cover of "Your Love" by The Outfield, off of their first Under the Covers album:I ain't got many friends left to talk to
No one's around when I'm in trouble
You know I'd do anything for you
Stay the night, but keep it under cover
- In "Unicorn Wizard":
- Ambiguously Gay: Roger in You Can Do Us!.
- Anachronism Stew:
- Quite a lot of this in Dinosaur Laser Fight, where they fight with lasers, in space (which was invented by Albert Einstein), with robots and sharks.
- Samurai Abstinence Patrol lived in "the tall skyscrapers of ancient Japan".
- Arson, Murder, and Jaywalking: Rhinoceratops and Superpuma caused a lot of collateral damage, including pissing on Cuba, killing a million people... and stepping on Dan's lawn and scratching his car, which Dan says is the worst.
- Artistic License Music:
- Danny's signature instrument is a blue electric guitar. At least, it's played as one. It's actually a bass. Most notably in the video for "The Manticore", where Danny inexplicably plays a face-meltingly awesome guitar solo on the bass's higher frets.
- Danny mentions it as a bass guitar in Rhinoceratops Vs. Superpuma, though the previous instances of it being used as a guitar remain unexplained.
- It returns to being a guitar in Danny Don't You Know.
- Art Shift:
- Their music video for Take On Me is a huge departure from their usual style. Instead of intentionally cheap green screen and post production effects, it's a mostly serious affair that uses an abundance of strobe lightning, lens flare, neon colours, and fade transitions to create an 80s-inspired music video (which makes sense considering the source material). This is also the debut of Danny's sequin and glitter-laden version of his classic spandex suit.
- Their second music video for Under the Covers, a cover of Tears for Fears' Everybody Wants to Rule the World, is another stylistic departure for the band. It's shot as a 'behind-the-scenes on a tour' music video opening on the outro to their Take On Me cover transitioning to footage on a lavish tour bus, complete with film grain. To complete the feel, Brian actually takes off his mask and plays himself in the video.
- Aside Glance / Death Glare: There could be a pretty lethal drinking game made out of all the unamused glares Ninja Brian has given to the camera.
- Ass Kicks You: The legendary Manticore will "Kick your ass in with his feet, and then kick your feet with his gigantic ass". Although in the video all he does during this line is stick some fried eggs in his pants and flex his crotch until they come out scrambled.
- Awesome, but Impractical: The entire concept of Eating Food in the Shower. It gets worse as Danny tries to cram more and more objects and people into it.
- Awesome Mc Coolname: Just say it: Danny Sexbang.
- The character's original name, according to a quote from Dan in one Game Grumps episode, was actually Danny Sweetnuts, but Dan decided to replace it before the first album was even made.
- Awesomeness Is a Force: From the official Ninja Sex Party website:"Danny also has an unnamed medical condition that causes him to pass out from the sheer awesomeness of being in his own presence."
- Bad Future: The future of the song "6969" is placed in the year 6969, where alien overlords have outlawed all sexual relations to maintain their 1000 year spell on humanity.
- Balcony Wooing Scene: In the video for "Three Minutes of Ecstasy" Danny and Brian get a woman's attention by throwing roses through her window and standing outside with a boombox. Danny then manages to throw himself through her window, much to her displeasure, so they can have their "three minutes of ecstasy".
- Berserk Button: Threatening Ninja Brian seems to be one for him as he immediately kills the entire Dick Council after their leader says they were going to kill him and Danny.
- Big Damn Heroes: The bridge of Release the Kraken is accompanied by an epic fight sequence in the music video, which ends with Tupper Ware Remix Party swooping down in the time machine spaceship from 6969 and blasting the Manticore just before it can eviscerate Danny.
- Bilingual Bonus: In Everybody Shut Up (I Have An Erection), Ninja Brian slices up the judge's robe thrown at Danny to form a kanji at the end. The kanji in question? Wood.
- Blatant Lies: Danny's prone to these, such as the entirety of The Sacred Chalice and Dragon Slayer.
- The intro cartoon to NSP concerts says that Dan met Ninja Brian after climbing Mount Everest naked and coming back from banging a planet of space ladies to find Brian playing keyboard in an alley, so Dan took pity on him and brought Brian to one of his many space mansions. If Brian's recollection is any indication, they actually met when Brian applied for a newspaper ad that Dan put out for a ninja best friend.
- Blazing Inferno Hellfire Sauce: When Ninja Brian guest hosted for Hot Pepper Gaming, he IS the pepper, to the degree that the one he ingested didn't even cause him to blink through the review (whereas most people paused quite a few times and gave their peppers a five out of the possible five and Arin Hanson gave the Habanero pepper like a thousand), rating the pepper 0/5.
- During the Ninja Sex Party/Steam Train panel at MAGFest 2014, Danny and Brian (out of character) confirmed that Brian really did eat the pepper rather than keeping it in his mask (as some had suspected) and that the lack of blinking was real and not a post-production edit. Apparently everybody present was way more impressed at how long he went without blinking than they were that he ate the pepper.
- Bohemian Parody: At one point in "I Don't Know What We're Talking About", Ninja Brian starts repeatedly playing the same note as Danny sings the next verse in a different style to the rest of the song. The music video accompanies this with a shot of 4 different versions of Danny's face on a black background.
- Boldly Coming: After taking a cross-country tour and sexing it up with every state in the US, Danny decides that the only way to top this is to go into space and bang alien chicks.
- Bookends: Every original album since Strawberries and Cream has had the two main words of the album title used as an Either/Or Title for the intro and outro, respectively.
- Brick Joke:
- In the intro to Attitude City, Danny says that at some point during the album you should be balls-deep, unless you're a pair of sexy lesbians, "in which case - please call me." In the second-last track of the album, "6969", when Danny seduces the sad-eyed girl, she invites her friends over to join the fun and Danny sings "Oh shit, they're girls!"
- In the music video for "Orgy for One," Danny randomly throws a Frisbee on and off the screen, finally throwing it in anger out of shot. Later in the song, for no reason at all, the Frisbee comes flying back in.
- Bullying a Dragon: Danny seems to take great enjoyment from insulting Ninja Brian during their songs, NSP Theme, If We Were Gay and The Decision being the most notable examples of this. You'd have thought that he would have learned not to mock the murderous ninja guy (Brian's retribution is always swift and deadly, though not usually permanent).
- But Not Too Gay: If We Were Gay is a speculative song about what the world would be like if the duo was gay. However, Danny's quick to assure us that if they were, it'd be mostly Brian.
- But Thou Must!: In FYI I wanna F your A, on the PTAnote application, the three choices are "Yes", "Hell Yes", and "I Already Am".
- Butt-Monkey: Ninja Brian gets the short end of the stick very regularly from Danny.
- Barry has been beaten up or murdered just as often as Danny, and sometimes even by Danny.
- Breaking the Fourth Wall: Brian's been known to do this, such as the end of their video for The Ultimate Sandwich, where he is shown to read the on-screen subtitles while Danny speaks in Spanish.
- Call-Back: So much in Dragon Slayer, like the animal costumes from the Starbomb previews, Danny's "Stuff that Totally Happened" book is written by Mike Aruba, and the return of the Manticore.
- The Ultimate Sandwich has a moment during the animated part featuring cameos from the Manticore, one of the dinosaurs from Dinosaur Laser Fight, the two gay ninjas from If We Were Gay, and the Sextron 3000 from Sex Training and The Sacred Chalice.
- Danny's pile of 'business stuff' in Eating Food in the Shower includes the cookie suit from Cookies!, the camel from Cool Patrol, and his captain's tricorn from When I Cry.
- At the beginning of Release the Kraken, Danny is holding the Sacred Chalice of Ragaloh; later in the song we see that the Army of the Damned includes among its ranks Rhinoceratops, Superpuma, and the Manticore. Also, during the fight sequence, Tupper Ware Remix Party arrive in the time machine spaceship from 6969 to pull a Big Damn Heroes and save Danny from being eviscerated by the Manticore.
- "The Decision: Part 2" contains to numerous previous NSP songs in its second verse. It also reuses the "Brain has an STD" line from the first Decision song.
- The Cameo:
- JonTron, of the titular channel and Game Grumps fame, guest-starred in "Let's Get This Terrible Party Started".
- Arin, Ross and Barry, Dan's mates from Game Grumps appear in the videos for both Party of Three and Dragon Slayer, with Arin playing the "dragon". Ross and Barry also appear in Let's Get This Terrible Party Started. Arin appears as Dan's only friend in "Danny Don't You Know".
- Zan Alda appears as a waiter in Party of Three. He reprises the exact same role in Eating Food in the Shower.
- The girl Danny's trying to seduce in Dragon Slayer is comicbookgirl19.
- Arin and Barry have also appeared in Attitude City as members of Danny's gang, and as backup dancers in Road Trip.
- Steel Panther appear at the beginning of Road Trip. Also inverted, as Ninja Sex Party has played onstage with Steel Panther at least once.
- Jack "Jacksfilms" Douglass appeared in Cookies! as one of Brian's victims.
- Ross, his then-wife CommanderHolly, and Markiplier appear as gods in Peppermint Creams.
- 6969 features appearances from Arin, Ross, Barry, and Kevin from Game Grumps as the Council of Dick Elders, while fellow Grump Suzy and CommanderHolly play citizens in the dystopian future, and Markiplier appears as a reporter. Steel Panther provides the vocals mouthed by the aforementioned Dick Elders.
- Jacksepticeye plays a major role in Cool Patrol, and Markiplier and the new Game Grumps editors Matt and Ryan (known for their channel Cyndago as well) play members of the titular Cool Patrol. Vernon Shaw also appears as an extra.
- Mark, Matt and Ryan return in Eating Food in the Shower.
- Finn Wolfhard plays young Danny Sexbang in Danny Don't You Know. In the same video, Markiplier plays a centaur that adult Danny rides on. Likewise, Nathan Sharp plays young Danny's bully. And one of his chanting fans is played by Lasercorn.
- Careful with That Axe:
- The first chorus of "Cookies!" is directly followed by a horrific scream from Danny as he's being attacked by demons.
- The loudly screamed choruses of "Peppermint Creams".
- Cargo Ship: Invoked and taken to an absurd degree with Objects of Desire, where Danny confesses to his girlfriend that he's had sex with every single inanimate object in her house.
- The Casanova/The Pornomancer: Zig-zagged. Danny certainly thinks himself this, but the results vary from song to song. He's certainly attractive at face value and gets a lot of dates, but whether he reaches his ultimate goal of slammin' depends on the song, and even if he does he sometimes reveals some of his more...eccentric qualities during or after the act, usually turning them off and ruining the magic.
- Casanova Wannabe: The essence of Danny's shtick, though he does get more sex than most examples. Many songs consist of Danny boasting of his sexual prowess, only to be utterly unsuccessful. If he is successful, he usually does something weird to turn off his lovers. And most of the times he does get sex, it's under outlandish, possibly made up circumstances.
- Challenging the Bully: The premise of Cool Patrol is Danny Sexbang teaching a high school boy getting picked on how to deal with bullies. The training consists of learning a silly dance, but gives the kid enough confidence to approach the bullies with an implicit challenge... before he's promptly beaten up and possibly killed.
- Comedic Sociopathy: Ninja Brian fits this trope to a T. He's either killing someone, or thinking about killing someone. Usually someone nearby. Usually Danny. Best Friends Forever directly addresses this and how big of a problem it is for Danny, since Brian ends up killing all his friends (and then him).
- Commitment Issues: Seems to be part of Danny's character; he's rarely ever dating the same girl for long. In fact, the reason Danny goes on his road trip in the titular song is because he's going out with a girl he actually likes and gets scared it'll become a meaningful relationship, so he decides to journey across America and bang as many girls as possible to get the commitment out of his systemnote .
- Continuity Cavalcade: During the time machine scenes in 6969, the monitors in the time machine show clips from earlier NSP videos.
- The Decision Part 2: Ten Years Later is the band's tenth anniversary celebration song, and throws in a glut of references to the band's previous songs as Danny recounts what they've been up to for the past decade.
- Cool House: "Mansion Party" takes place in a house with such features as a diamond fridge that costs more than the entire country of Peru, an entire battle arena just for watching pandas engage in gladiatorial combat, and a tiger. It's so huge that just getting to the dance floor requires elaborate directions and possibly a horse.Hey, girl, heard you couldn't find the dance floor
Just walk right past the garden, go through the Spanish French doors
Turn right at the seventh bathroom, then a left at my laser car
You can ride my purebred stallion, if you hit my moat you've gone too far
(You've gone too far)
Take an upside down left at the M.C. Escher stairs
Okay, you're almost halfway there
- Crazy Awesome: Invoked; whoever wields the chalice will become this.
- Creator Provincialism: Not so much for NSP proper, but TWRP and Rush are both from Toronto, which is certainly a contributing factor to there being at least one Rush song on each volume of Under the Covers.
- Creepy Blue Eyes: Brian's large, pale blue eyes definitely go well with his murderous personality.
- Critical Research Failure: In-Universe. In Dinosaur Laser Fight, "Dr. Sexbang" informs the class that Albert Einstein invented space, and that dinosaurs fought aliens from Mars who played guitar solos. Even the kids in the class Danny's teaching point out how ridiculous that sounds.Student: Dr. Sexbang, did this really happen?!
- Crying After Sex: The song "Why I Cry" is about Danny Sexbang trying to pick up a woman that "only dates nice guys". He goes on to explain how "sensitive" and "romantic" he is, culminating in the fact that he is so sensitive, that not only does he cry after sex, but he also cries during sex, before sex and even when he sees something that reminds him of sex.
- Dagwood Sandwich: The Ultimate Sandwich, which is 5X3 feet and piled with vast ammounts of meats both exotic (bear, panther) and mundane (chicken, ham, duck, clams), Carolina Reaper peppers (the Worlds Hottest Pepper), and sun dried tomatoes, and is as much endurance test as it is a meal. It's "as dense as an anvil and as big as a raft" and is served with a 5-gallon pail of ranch dressing.
- A Date with Rosie Palms:
- Next To You, where Danny gets rejected by a girl but says he's happy to just be friends. He then spends the entire video stalking her while masturbating.
- In "Orgy for One," Danny invites a large number of girls over for an orgy, but no one else so shows up, so he decides to spend the evening masturbating instead.
- Death Is Cheap: Dan and Ninja Brian have both died countless times over their adventures. Never seems to keep them down for very long.
- Determinator: "Peppermint Creams" has Danny chronicling his trial-filled adventure throughout the land, always being motivated by the chance to experience the titular creams of the princess. They're actually her boobies. Or ass.
- Deus ex Machina: After Danny brings back sex in 6969, the Dick Elders corner Danny and his girl, and capture Brian. They then say they're going to kill Danny right after they kill Brian. Brian then kills them all in about 2 seconds.Danny: Goddamn, Brian! You killed them all! Now the empire will fall! I have to say in retrospect, that was easier than I thought!
- Did You Just Punch Out Cthulhu?: During the outro for Let's Get This Terrible Party Started, Brian stabs and kills Slender Man, who is generally considered unkillable in his own mythos.
- Dining in the Buff: The video for "Eating Food In The Shower" has Danny and his girlfriend, well, eating food while taking a shower, in his attempt to spend more time together. It goes about as well as one would expect.
- Dissimile: A variant near the end of "The Decision":"Everyone in the band has an STD / except for me!"
- Distinction Without a Difference: "Oh, hey, Ninja Brian, that came out wrong. I didn't mean to call you fat. I meant stupid. And ugly. And fat."
- Distinguished Gentleman's Pipe: Danny is known to don one at times.
- Distressed Dude: Danny, in "The Hit," a cross over with TWRP. Danny takes a lady home, but he gets kidnapped by assassins. Lucky for him, TWRP and Danny's new ladyfriend come to save him.
- Downer Ending: "Everybody Shut Up (I Have An Erection)" ends with Danny being shot by what seems to be the Secret Service after Danny interrupts the President's speech to talk about his boner. The chorus' ending line "Please hold your applause" is repurposed when Danny is only able to say "Please hold your—" before he gets taken down, which implies that it could be seen as "Please hold your fire".
- Release the Kraken ends with King Danny's forces losing the war against the Army of the Damned.
- Do Wrong, Right: When Ninja Brian kills Ninja Jim in Best Friends Forever.Danny: Really, Ninja Brian? During the chorus? *scoff* I can't stay mad at you.
- Early Installment Weirdness:
- The first music video, "I Just Want To (Dance)". It's not as overtly sexual in subject matter as their future songs would be, with Danny even implying he's not interested in romance anymore. Ninja Brian is also unmasked and singing at one point. Just as well, Danny states that prior to becoming Danny Sexbang, he'd been "the toughest fucking ninja that you've ever seen", even saying this to Ninja Brian, who doesn't seem to object. Word of God would later confirm that the song is about Danny, but he decided to give all that up and focus on getting laid.
- Similarly, this "less horny" Danny spends the entirety of "No Reason Boner" being extremely embarrassed about getting an erection at inappropriate times, while the later song "Everybody Shut Up" is entirely about him demanding that everyone (including the President of the United States) immediately pay attention to his dick.
- Epic Fail:
- In the song "Dragon Slayer", Danny Sexbang is chatting up a girl at a party, and trying to get her to go out with him by telling ridiculous tales about himself (like that he slew a dragon). In the end, the girl decides to go home with everyone except Dan.Danny: Oh, I see you've chosen the football player... and the scientist... and apparently the weightlifter as well... and the dragon... and Ninja Brian... and the Manticore? He wasn't even in this song!
- In "The Mystic Crystal," Danny charges the evil necromancer, but realizes too late he doesn't have any weapons. The necromancer immediately breaks Danny's back and paralyzes him.
- In the song "Dragon Slayer", Danny Sexbang is chatting up a girl at a party, and trying to get her to go out with him by telling ridiculous tales about himself (like that he slew a dragon). In the end, the girl decides to go home with everyone except Dan.
- Epic Rocking:
- "6969" clocks in at eight-and-a-half minutes, unusual for a band whose songs typically don't go much longer than three minutes.
- "The Mystic Crystal" clocks in at just under twelve minutes, making it the longest song in NSP's entire catalog.
- Establishing Series Moment: The intro to NSFW and/or "NSP Theme Song" functions as a great mission statement for the band.
- Everything's Better with Dinosaurs: Dinosaur Laser Fight.
- Evil Costume Switch: The Girl of the Week in "First Date" becomes a Good Girl Gone Bad whose pink coat over dark dress gets replaced with an open black jacket, white shirt, black pants, and black choker as she starts enthusiastically taking part in Danny's and Ninja Brian's murders.
- Evil Counterpart: According to Danny, NSP has a rival group called Samurai Abstinence Patrol. They appear in "Attitude City": Arin Neverbone and Samurai Barry.
- Evil Is Hammy: The leader of the Dick Elders in "6969""Shoot the fucking lasers, WAAAAAVE THE FUCKING LASERS AT 'EM"
- Evil Is Sexy: In-Universe in "First Date", which is kinda the whole point. Danny is sporting a murderous new attitude to impress a girl, and the Good Girl Gone Bad gets an Evil Costume Switch as she starts getting into it. She ultimately hooks up with Ninja Brian.
- Evil Feels Good: The leader of the Dick Elders says as much in 6969."Why does being evil always feel so damn good!?"
"We're young and alive~! Which I can't say for that guy!"
- Also in "First Date", where Danny, Ninja Brian, and Danny's date commit a number of increasingly serious and violent crimes as Danny sings about how much fun they're having.
- Eye Beams: Ninja Brian apparently has these, and they cause whatever he hits to explode.
- Fat and Skinny: Brian and Danny were this for a while until Brian's weight loss. Now it's more "average build and skinny".
- Fanservice: The bikini-clad girls often used in videos and album art.
- Lampshaded in the cartoon segments in The Ultimate Sandwich with a closeup of thong-clad booty labelled "gratuitous ass shot."
- Fluffy the Terrible: The "Unicorn Wizard" fights evil with the help of his hellhounds: Tinkles and Gary.
- Flipping the Bird: Ninja Brian does this almost constantly. Even while meditating at the beginning of "6969," he's flipping a double bird.
- In the aforementioned Let's Get This Terrible Party Started video, there is artwork of Danny, Brian, and Egoraptor in futuristic TRON-esque suits, foreshadowing Starbomb.
- In The Ultimate Sandwich video, before the actual song begins, the background music is the same that was used for the Starbomb song, The Simple Plot of Final Fantasy VII.
- Danny has mentioned on a few occasions that Ninja Sex Party have a rival gang named Samurai Abstinence Patrol. They appear in Attitude City.
- In "The Second NSP Album Is Here!", the music playing is actually the music for Starbomb's "Mega Marital Problems".
- The second chorus of "NSP Theme Song" talks about making the decision of who to have sex with, Danny or Ninja Brian. On the NSFW album, that song begins the album, and the next track is "The Decision", which is a more in-depth account about making said decision.
- Foil: Works both ways. Brian's stoic personality is a foil to Danny's goofiness and ever-present horniness, and Danny's otherwise normal social standards contrast with Brian's crazy homicidal tendencies.
- Free-Love Future: "6969" has Ninja Sex Party traveling to the titular year expecting this trope only to discover that human touch has been outlawed. The rest of the song follows their attempt to start a sexual revolution and overthrow the Council of Dick Elders.
- Fright-Induced Bunkmate: In "Attitude City", Danny openly admits to running to his parents' bedroom whenever he has "scary dreams".
- Funny Background Event: Practically one of Ninja Brian's side jobs.
- Fun with Acronyms
- Gag Penis: Downplayed a small bit in "No Reason Boner", played completely straight in "Everybody Shut Up (I Have An Erection)".
- Genius Bruiser: Ninja Brian is a theoretical physicist.
- Get a Hold of Yourself, Man!: Brian does this to Danny in Why I Cry, when the latter starts crying before having sex with a woman, and during and after sex too.
- Girls Like Musicians: In "Dragon Slayer", Danny attempts to score with a woman by making up lies about how awesome he is. One of his attempts has him pointing out that he's in a band. The woman is still unimpressed.
- Gratuitous Spanish: Danny hires a mariachi band in Eating Food in the Shower. As things go to shit towards the end of the song, a band member screams 'señor!' and they play a riff from the Mexican Hat Dance.
- Grievous Harm with a Body: Brian takes this Up to Eleven in Samurai Abstinence Patrol by stabbing, in the song's own words, "a random guy with a different guy."
- Half the Man He Used to Be: Danny at the end of "The Ultimate Sandwich", as a result of I Ate WHAT?! below.
- Have I Mentioned I Am Sexually Active Today?: Basically every song the band sings involves Danny trying to get laid.
- HeelFace Turn: Danny used to be just as psychotically violent as Brian, but changed his ways when he decided he'd rather dance.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: Danny and Brian.
- High-Five Left Hanging: In "Orgy For One", Danny and Ninja Brian are both relaxing and talking in bed. While there, Danny tries to have a high-five with Brian, who is watching him intently. Danny smiles gleefully as he raises his hand, only for Brian to have no reaction, and for Danny to immediately and awkwardly turn away. Subverted later, as another shot shows them having an actual high-five.
- Hiroshima as a Unit of Measure: "I Just Want To Dance" cuts to disasters like the Hindenburg crash with a casualty counter to convey the raw sexual power of Danny's pelvic thrusts.
- Hurricane of Euphemisms: "Smooth Talkin'" consists of one Unusual Euphemism after another, under the presumption that they count as seductive wordplay.
- Hyper-Competent Sidekick: Ninja Brian seems to have many more amazing skills and powers than Danny has.
- I Ate WHAT?!: The look of Ninja Brian's eyes says it in "The Ultimate Sandwich!" when Danny mentioned that for practice, he screwed Brian's blueberry muffins, when he's eating one at the moment.Danny: Oh... but... not the one you're eating right now, Brian... Alright, I fucked that muffin too!
- I Banged Your Mom: As "The Ultimate Sandwich" begins, Danny Sexbang has just had sex with your mother. That's right - yours.
- I Can't Dance: Ninja Brian's awkward as hell shuffling during the dragon dance in Dragon Slayer.
- I Come in Peace: The Martians made that approach to the laser-toting dinosaurs. They got themselves obliterated instead.
- I Have to Wash My Hair: Played for laughs in "Orgy for One." The excuses the girls give for not showing up to Danny's orgy range from the believable ("I have a headache") to the outrageous ("my dad exploded").
- Imagine Spot: Subverted. In "Road Trip", Danny asks a guy from Steel Panther if he had a great year of banging, to which he responds with "Oh Yeah". There's a musical cue and he looks up above him, prompting an expectation that we'll see a flashback, but it never happens, and he just stands there staring at the ceiling. Everyone else walks away, and we never see that flashback.
- The Immodest Orgasm: Done twice in "Three Minutes of Ecstasy" by Danny, with the second example being much more violent (then again, that's what 3 minutes of one thrust per second does to you) and immediately followed by Danny falling asleep.
- Improbable Weapon User: In the video for The Decision, Danny throws his dog at a mugger.
- Also from the same video, Brian murdering Danny with his keyboard.
- In Party Of Three Brian notably uses a pool noodle as a blowgun to kill Egoraptor, and in the same video uses another to strangle people.
- In Dragon Slayer, Danny claims to have swung his unicorn like a club to slay the dragon. This supposedly caused the sun to explode.
- In Samurai Abstinence Patrol, Brian stabs a random guy with another guy.
- I Need to Go Iron My Dog: During No Reason Boner. Lampshaded a few lines later when he admits it wasn't his best lie.Danny: I have to go...I have a, uh, doctor's appointment at the dentist.
Danny: I have to go to the... uh... the pudding store, for... uh... for pudding.
- Again, during Three Minutes of Ecstasy.
- Incredibly Lame Pun: In No Reason Boner:Zookeeper: Hi! Welcome to the zoo!Danny: Great! I love the zoo! Look at all those monkeys!Zookeeper: Actually, those technically aren't monkeys, they're macaques!Danny: Wow! Macaque's really hairy! *snickers to self*
- Inelegant Blubbering: Danny, all throughout Why I Cry.
- Informed Attribute: Invoked. Danny is the world's greatest lover...according to himself.
- Intercourse with You: Most of the band's songs involve Danny attempting to have sex, to varying degrees of success.
- Interplay of Sex and Violence: "Party of Three" is a serenade Danny writes for his hot date as they go through an astoundingly romantic night, all while Ninja Brian murders everyone in their vicinity."Do you see what I mean?
Nothing's more romantic than a murder in the second degree!"
- Killed Mid-Sentence: Danny in Everybody Shut Up (I Have An Erection).For one nation, indivisible under God
We all stand together and peep my glorious rod
Hey those guys look fun, oh wait, are they holding guns?
Please hold your-
- L33t L1ng0: FYI I Want to F Your A
- Looking for Love in All the Wrong Places: Road Trip and Next to You.
- Lovecraft Lite: Rhinoceratops vs Superpuma starts out with the two titular monsters threatening the earth in their "massive-ass brawl", but The Power of Rock saves the day... by influencing them to have sex with each other. Lovecraft doesn't get Liter than this.
- Ludicrous Speed: 6969 contains the following line:The speed of light's for pussiesWe're going at the speed of Brian!
- Major Injury Underreaction: Many, many examples, usually involving Brian killing Danny in some fashion. The best example comes in If We Were Gay, when Danny just says "ow" and "ouch" repeatedly in a Dull Surprise manner as he falls down a cliff.
- Matzo Fever: Danny at least thinks of himself this way, being a Jewish lover. He does however have his share of turnoffs for comedic effect.
- McNinja: Ninja Brian is "Japanese, or possibly Irish," according to this video (since removed). However, Brian himself later confirmed in a reddit AMA that the Ninja Brian persona comes from Japan.
- Memetic Badass: Invoked with the Manticore, which figuratively invented death and all things that are bad.
- Also invoked with Ninja Brian in general, since he has killed several people, including The Slender Man.
- Memetic Hair: Danny's "luxurious Jewfro".
- Mermaid Problem: Subverted in "Courtship of the Mermaid." The problem never comes up, because Danny is so terrible at flirting that the Mermaid ignores him completely and hooks up with a handsome Merman.
- Metaphorgotten: Happens several times in "The Ultimate Sandwich", since the sandwich is symbolic in a rather phallic sense.
- Mood Whiplash: Meta example; going from Ninja Sex Party to Danny's serious indie rock/electronic-flavored music (Skyhill and The Northern Hues) or vice versa will certainly surprise a few people in how the same guy has sang and composed for all of those acts.
Crowd: D-A-N-N-Y! He's a super awesome guy!
- In "Attitude City", during the showdown with the guys from the town, the scene suddenly changes from a city slum to a sunny meadow, with all characters adopting appropriate costume. When it switches back it's even more jarring.
- "Cookies!" alternates between aggressively rapped verses with heavy beats and violent subject matter and happy, upbeat choruses.
- "Cool Patrol" changes from a group of Badasses telling a kid to be awesome to a high-energy dance number.
- "Danny Don't You Know" features a chorus break that starts by saying Danny is awesome, then goes into how much he cries all the time.
D-A-N-N-Y! He is not afraid to cry! (Danny: What?)
D-A-N-N-Y! He cries almost all the time! (Danny: Um...)
D-A-N-N-Y! He cries and cries and cries and cries! (Danny: Okay thank you! Very helpful, thank you!)
- Mr. Fanservice: Admit it; as douchey as he is, Danny is pretty attractive, especially in the video for "Three Minutes of Ecstasy" when he's in his underwear and at the end of the video for "Sex Training" when he's in a thong.
- Mundane Made Awesome: "Orgy for One" turns masturbation into a pyrotechnic spectacle of incredible proportions.
- My Future Self and Me: "Danny Don't You Know", where young Danny (played in the music video by Finn Wolfhard) is visited by his future self, who gives him a pep talk about how awesome he is and how he has a bright future ahead of him.
- Nice Guy: The titular Kraken from "Release the Kraken". Unfortunately, he's too nice and ends up being completely useless in destroying the evil army that he was summoned to fight.King Danny: Well...you did nothing, the war is lost. Thanks, Kraken!Kraken: You're welcome!
- Ninja Pirate Zombie Robot: In the band name, as well as quite a bit of their music.
- Unicorn Wizard is basically this trope in song form.
- Dinosaur Laser Fight.
- In Dragon Slayer, Danny claims to have fought awesome karate bears.
- Non-Indicative Name: In a Reddit AMA, the question was brought up on how NSP included lots of ninjas in their music videos, but no sex parties.Danny: Youtube censorship guidelines. Believe me, we'd LOVE to show our sex parties.
- In an interview with Brian, he said, "I'm the ninja, Danny's the sex, together we're the party."
- Not So Above It All: For all of Ninja Brian's characterization as The Comically Serious half of the duo, he's still seen engaging in many of the sexual weirdness that Dan gets involved with.
- In Attitude City, Danny asks Ninja Brian to play him a 'sick flute solo'. Brian shakes his head, but is later seen merrily playing the flute anyway.
- Orcus on His Throne: The kraken from "Release the Kraken" is an Ineffectual Sympathetic Villain, despite being hyped up as a vicious monster. At the end of the song, the kraken has done nothing, and the war is lost.
- Our Manticores Are Spinier: The namesake of "Manticore" is described as a powerful and vile creature capable of despicable acts such as "inventing death", "killing your sister just for fun", and "making out with your dad". It has been referenced in several other songs and music videos from the group. The funniest might be that despite being described as a 10 feet-tall creature from ancient Greece with eyes of flame and teeth of steel; it is played by an half-naked man with a mask. It also gets chosen by the attractive young lady in "Dragon Slayer," despite not being in the song.
- Out-of-Genre Experience/Surprisingly Gentle Song: On Christmas 2016, they uploaded a straight-up cover of "Wish You Were Here", with a video of them just playing the song in a recording studio.
- Overly Long Gag: The list of things that Brian likes to suck in "If We Were Gay"."Dick dick dick dick dick dick dick dick dick dick dick dick dick dick dick dick dick dick dick dick dick dick dick dick balls..."
- Pep-Talk Song:
- "Cool Patrol" sees Danny and the titular Patrol giving a pep talk to a kid who's being picked on by bullies, telling the kid that "you're basically a superhero now." It gives the kid a boost of confidence, but the bullies still beat him up.
- "Danny Don't You Know" sees Danny giving one to his younger nerdy self, telling him that things will get better, and that he will one day be Proud to Be a Geek.
- Psychic Powers: On three occasions, Ninja Brian has shown to have the ability to cause people, buildings, and even the sun to explode with his mind.Danny: Alright this party sucks, Ninja Brian, explode this building with your mind.
- At the end of Unicorn Wizard, He explodes Danny's dogs if the watcher doesn't click the annotations fast enough.
- Raging Stiffie: Danny tends to get these a lot. Particularly featured in the aptly named No Reason Boner as well as Everybody Shut Up (I Have An Erection).
- Real Men Wear Pink: The whole premise of "Attitude City" is that Danny and his crew are supposed to be an awesome sunglasses-wearing, leather-clad badasses, but it is undermined that their daily lives make them look pretty lame (having a party at the zoo, watering daisies, sleeping with his parents after he has a nightmare, etc).
- Reality Ensues:
- In "Cool Patrol," Danny and the Cool Patrol advise a high school kid getting beat up by bullies on how to deal with them: inspirational dance. When the kid actually tries it on the bullies, they still beat him up.
- At the end of "Road Trip", Danny decides to step out of the spaceship without a spacesuit. The song abruptly cuts off as he immediately asphyxiates.
- Really Gets Around: Parodied and exaggerated to no end with Danny.
- Recurring Extra: Dan Hodapp, known as the character Roger Rogerson, appeared in a lot of their early works. Since joining Game Grumps, Danny's co-stars Arin, Ross, Barry, Suzy, Kevin, Matt, and Ryan, along with other Youtube personalities such as Commander Holly and Markiplier, have been showing up more regularly in their more recent videos.
- The Revolution Will Not Be Vilified: In 6969, Danny and Ninja Brian revolt against the oppressive Dick Elders.
- The Rival: The Samurai Abstinence Patrol, formed by Arin Neverbone and Samurai Barry, are one to NSP. It's made weirder in that SAP come from 500 years in the past through a hole in space-time caused by Danny's rampant boning.
- Running Gag: Barry has been subject to a Neck Snap in the first three videos for Attitude City.
- Each video from Attitude City so far has also included at least one appearance by Barry in a unicorn costume (the "Barricorn"). By "Why I Cry" he's starting to look kind of tired of it.
- Ninja Brian can shave Danny's beard just by slapping him.
- Danny repeatedly slips on puddles of Space Lube in 6969.
- They really love talking about buttsex. So much so, in fact, that searching "buttsex.info" redirects to their Youtube channel.
- Sadistic Choice: Parodied in "Peppermint Creams", where Danny says he'd rather die than have to choose between boobs and butt.
- Self-Backing Vocalist: Danny uses this a lot in Ninja Sex Party songs since he's the only one singing, heavily featured in "Why I Cry" and his cover of the theme from The Last Unicorn.
- Serial Escalation:
- In "First Date," Danny decides to bring his date out to do relatively minor crimes, escalating all the way up to killing ten people, before deciding to "pump the brakes" because it's their first date and settle for only killing five.
- Road Trip starts off as just a trip around America to have sex with as many girls as possible. It eventually escalates into a world tour before Danny decides the only way to top that is to go into space and bang hot alien chicks.
- Sex Is Cool: The operating principle of the band. Or at least Danny Sexbang.
- Sex Tourism: The titular journey in Road Trip.
- Shout-Out: The video for "The Ultimate Sandwich" has a Training Montage in homage to Rocky that even ends with Danny running up the iconic "Rocky steps".
- The song "6969" contains the lyric "I know it's most unusual to come before you so", lifted straight from "2112" by Rush, which the song is a parody of.
- In the music video for "6969", the spaceship passes by a floating fast food restaurant called SpaceBurger, a reference to Monolith Burger from the Space Quest series, specifically the one seen in the third game.
- Shoddy Shindig:
- The entire basis of Let's Get This Terrible Party Started, where Danny hyped up an epic party only to be let down when it just consisted of a few guys playing Dungeons & Dragons. Danny did assume it's a slow start, and did try to make the most of what little he's actually got, but then he tried lightening the mood with a dance break which nobody obliged to. He then concluded that the party sucks and had Ninja Brian destroy the building with his mind.
- "Danny Don't You Know" has child Danny sending out party invites...which is accepted by "all his friend", played by Arin Hanson. The video has them both looking unhappy as a picture is taken and the party banner falls over.
- Skewed Priorities: A Running Gag in "Rhinoceratops vs. Superpuma", as Danny either stops for ice cream while en route to save the world or express annoyance at minor inconveniences like having to re-sod his lawn after the Kaiju step on it.
- Sleeps with Everyone but You: The girl Danny's trying to seduce in Dragon Slayer ends up going home with the football player. And the scientist. And the weightlifter. And the dragon. And Ninja Brian. And the manticore.
- Smarter Than You Look: Both Danny and Brian are way smarter than they make themselves out to seem. Extremely with Brian who's a frigging theoretical physicist.
- Smoking Hot Sex: The video for "The Ultimate Sandwich" begins with Danny just having finished having intercourse with a girl, having a cigarette between his lips.
- Sociopathic Hero: Ninja Brian, particularly in "6969" where he ultimately saves the world by brutally murdering the council of Dick Elders.
- Song Style Shift: In "Attitude City," after preparing to "throw the fuck down" with some tough guys, the song changes from 80's hard rock to a ballad sung by a wandering minstrel. A few verses later, it suddenly changes back to 80's rock.
- Space Is Noisy: Averted and discussed in "Dinosaur Laser Fight":"But it was quiet because in space there is no sound."
- Spark of the Rebellion: in 6969, after learning of the Dick Elders' oppressive rule over the world, Danny says "fuck that bullshit!" and goes to find a girl to have sex with. It ends up starting a billion-person orgy across the world that destroys the reign of the Dick Elders.
- Special Effects Failure / Stylistic Suck: Invoked as part of the band's visual style in their music videos. It's done intentionally cheap, with D-grade costumes and props, and blatant, obvious use of green screen. They even use MS Paint drawings on occasion for diagrams.
- The fake life-size stuntman dolls that have been used on multiple occasions in the videos (mostly for Danny). The camera lingering on them makes it clear that they're just dolls, though.
- Speed Sex: Parodied in "Three Minutes of Ecstasy". Danny doesn't see it as a problem, and in fact makes it out like anything more would be too much of a good thing note .
- Stalker with a Crush: Parodied in Next to You, which consists of Danny stalking a girl while masturbating.
- Standard Fantasy Setting: The music video for Peppermint Creams depicts the adventures of knight-errant Sir Daniel Sexbang, on his way home from a crusade against The Legions of Hell; battling through a haunted cemetery, a carnivorous gerbil-infested swamp, an abandoned city, and the Realms of Heaven so he can get home and admire the princess' rack.
- Straight Man: Works both ways. See Foil above.
- Suddenly SHOUTING!: The chorus of Peppermint Creams is shouted at the top of Danny's voice, out of place in the ballad.
- Suspiciously Similar Substitute: Ninja Jim in Best Friends Forever, who Danny presents to Brian as a potential best friend. Brian kills him.
- Suspiciously Specific Denial:
- In part 1 of the Sacred Chalice, Danny backpedals after saying he hired a hooker to join the party, saying it was another robot and definitely not a hooker.
- The dragon in Dragon Slayer is definitely a dragon and not some guy Dan met at the bus station in a dragon suit. (And if it was, that guy certainly wouldn't be Egoraptor, either.)
- Sweet Baker: Parodied and invoked in "Why I Cry". When Danny is trying to convince a girl he's the most "sensitive man on God's green Earth", one of his actions is to gift her some Creme Brulee he'd just baked... despite that in the video, it's Ninja Brian who actually made it.
- The Swear Jar: At the end of their music video for Three Minutes of Ecstasy, Ninja Brian has to put several quarters in a "murder jar" after killing a yacht full of people. They also appear to have a regular swear jar, a "stab jar", a "watching dogs bone jar", and a Jar Jar.
- Take That!:
- When listing the things that Brian likes to suck (dicks) in "If We Were Gay", one of the images that flashes by is Mel Gibson. As stated on Game Grumps, Danny himself has a strong personal hatred of Mr. Gibson.
- Another slam on Mel Gibson is done in Best Friends Forever, where the people at Danny's birthday party play "Pin the Tail on the Douchebag", which is Gibson's face pasted on a picture of a donkey.
- Justin Bieber gets crushed by Superpuma in Rhinoceratops versus Superpuma.
- Technician vs. Performer: Danny describes Ninja Brian's style of musical writing as mathematical and based in music theory, whereas he does all his writing by ear.
- There Is No Kill Like Overkill: The end of the If We Were Gay video, which has Brian blowing a poison dart at Danny's neck, causing him to have a lengthy fall down a cliff. When Danny reaches the ground, Brian runs up and hits him again.
- They Killed Kenny Again: Brian kills Danny a lot in their film clips, but Danny always comes back.
- Though some fan speculation claims that Danny magically replaces himself with the deliberately bad dummy they use as part of the band's deliberate Special Effects Failure.
- Third Wheel: Brian comes off as a very creepy version of this at times, such as when he's casually sitting next to the bed with Danny and 'your mom' at the start of The Ultimate Sandwich, or when he's hanging out in Danny's bedroom while he's trying to seduce Kristen in The Sacred Chalice.
- Party of Three is essentially this trope, though Danny seems pretty cool with it. His date, however...
- Time-Shifted Actor: In the video for "Danny Don't You Know", the young, middle-school-aged Danny is played by Finn Wolfhard.
- Title Track: Attitude City has one.
- Title-Only Chorus: Most of the choruses of Cookies! and No Reason Boner is the song title being repeated.
- Too Much Information/Saying Too Much: At the end of "The Decision", after spending the whole song convincing the listener that he is the better lover, Danny announces to the world that Brian has an STD. Immediately after he says it, the song abruptly stops and he gently apologizes to Brian.
- Training Montage: The "Ultimate Sandwich" video has one in homage to Rocky.TRAINING MONTAGE MOTHERFUCKER!
- Truck Driver's Gear Change: There's a very brief one in "First Date," after Danny says "let's kill ten guys tonight!" He decides that it's too much for a first date and backs down to five, with the song changing back to its original key.
- Trying Not to Cry: Danny in Why I Cry, particularly at the end.Danny: Sorry, was that too sensitive for you? Don't worry about me, I'll be fine. I'll just be over here thinking about a duckling riding on the back of a puppy. Also the duckling is wearing a... tiny cowboy hat... slightly tilted... [runs away crying]
- Up to Eleven: Unicorn Wizard is about if Danny was even more awesome than he already is.Danny: What would my life be like if I turned that shit up to eleven (out of a possible five)?
- Unusual Euphemism: Most of FYI I Wanna F Your A, as the translations of Danny's sexual acronyms become more unusual as the song goes on.
- "The Ultimate Sandwich" is loaded with these, topped off with instances of Metaphorgotten.
- The choruses of "Peppermint Creams" explain that the titular creams refer to the princess' boobs/ass.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: Danny and Ninja Brian. Though it's less verbally vitriolic and more Danny makes fun of Brian and then Brian kills him.
- The Voiceless: Ninja Brian never speaks, except for the one very brief moment where he did a tiny duet with Danny in NSP's debut video "I Just Want To (Dance)".
- Beware the Quiet Ones: NEVER mess with Ninja Brian. In fact, even Danny has, on multiple occasions, has been on the receiving end of his wrath.
- Wardrobe Malfunction: Danny accidentally(?) exposes himself early on in the video for Why I Cry, leading to one of the few times that theyve had to get out a Censor Box. Sorry, everyone.
- A Wild Rapper Appears!: And got immediately offed by Ninja Brian in Party of Three. He was played by Arin Hanson."Yo! I'm the DJ! Who wants to dance— AAUGH!!!"
- Wouldn't Hit a Girl: Though Ninja Brian has been shown murdering many different people, they've all been male. This is especially apparent in Party of Three, where Brian commits a mass murder at a coed pool party, but only male bodies can be seen lifelessly floating in the water.
- You Are Better Than You Think You Are: Danny says as much to his younger self in "Danny Don't You Know," saying that "we're all cool as fuck on the inside."
- Your Soul Is Mine: The Manticore, who will steal your soul, then have a threesome with it and your girlfriend.