Winters in Lavelle is a modern fantasy webcomic written by Kasey. The story revolves around two young siblings, Kari and Aiden, who discover that the crystal sphere above their fireplace can transport them into a magical world. After much meddling, the family heirloom leaves them stranded in a forest. As they search for a way home, they gain strange powers, meet new people and find out more about themselves and their family. Wiki here.
When listing an example, please limit entries to things that have appeared in the comic itself.
See the character sheet for more information about the cast.
Unfortunately, the comic has been on Hiatus before chapter 10 was released and the website is offline.
- All There in the Manual: See Bilingual Bonus entry below.
- Aliens Speaking English: All the humans Kari and Aiden have met so far speak English. Since Lavelle is a mostly European-influenced world, this is not too surprising. Averted however with the gard, unfortunately for Aiden.
- Amulet of Concentrated Awesome:
- Kari and Aiden seem to have gotten these in the form of Amber Gems
- The pearls are like this too. Prince Edric has one on a ring.
- Aristocrats Are Evil:
- The King and the Princes are not well-liked. Unfortunately for Ashton, he looks an awful lot like one...
- Prince Edric is proving that the Princes live up to their reputation
- Bandage Boy:
- Ashton's covered in them. Comes in handy for several of the other characters.
- Beware the Nice Ones: After Ashton spends most of the story mumbling and stuttering while looking like a whipped puppy, he shows off his skills against a random Gard and then Xan.
- And then royally kicks Edric's draconic rear.
- Bifauxnen: The Tempest/Laksha, as revealed in a voter incentive.
- Big Brother Instinct: They may fight all the time, but when push comes to shove Aiden can be very protective of his little sister.
- Bilingual Bonus: The printed books of the first issue contain a cipher for the gard language. Any reader who decides to put it to good use will be able to translate all of the dialogue written in gard in the book.
- Crapsack World: Lavelle is shaping up to be this, with the Princes using the land of Lavelle as the playground for their family feud.
- Double Agent: Silas is one, according to Ashton.
- Elemental Powers: Aiden's amber allows him to generate fire, while Kari's Lightning powers give her Healing Hands
- Fiery Redhead: Subverted. Aiden's got the personality and the elemental powers, but is blonde. Rio is the redhead of the group but is calm and mature.
- Fingerless Gloves: Xan wears an interesting pair. Only the thumb, pinky, and ring fingers on each hand are cut off; presumably for when he uses his bow.
- Glasgow Grin: Silas as half of one.
- Half-Human Hybrid: All of the so-called Princes are bastard sons of the Dragon King. Unusually for this trope, they are disfigured and rather freaky looking. There does not appear to be (yet anyway) any health problems beyond this, however.
- Healing Hands: Kari's power. Although it will leave you with a nasty scar.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: Rio and Xan are pretty much attached at the hip. Many fangirls doubt the 'heterosexual' part - which was confirmed, in Xan's case, by the artist's Twitter.
- Icy Blue Eyes: Of the icy and piercing variety. A definitive trait of the Princes. And Ashton. Who is a Prince, though you probably already guessed that.
- La Résistance: Wisteria.
- Little Bit Beastly: Some of the gard look more like this, having only deer-like ears and antlers.
- Magical Land: Lavelle.
- The Medic: Xan is pretty handy in the first-aid department. Kari's powers also lend her to this role.
- Missing Mom: Their mother passed away a year before the story. Their dad seems to have become more of a metaphorical Missing Mom because of her death.
- Our Dragons Are Different: Dragons in Lavelle can take human form, though only certain kinds. Interestingly enough, Blue Dragons aren't one of those - which makes it a huge mystery as to how the Blue King managed it.
- Personality Powers: Aiden's hotheaded and implusive with spikey blonde hair. Guess what his power is?
- Petting Zoo People: The gard, a race of Deer-men.
- Refusal of the Call: Kari's initial reaction to being transported to a magical world? TAKE US BACK!!
- Sibling Yin-Yang:
- Shrinking Violet: Ashton literally looks like it causes him physical pain anytime he has to speak to someone. Even his text is written smaller
- The Red Baron: The Tempest, apparently the best swordsman (...er, woman) in Lavelle.
- Trapped in Another World: They just want to get back home
- World Tree: At least two of 'em.
- You Didn't Ask: When Kari and Ashton first meet Rio.Kari: You haven't even told us your name!Rio: You haven't asked. And you haven't told me yours, either.