Ninja Brian's gonna be there giving us his full attention
Cause nothing could be hotter than our sensual embrace
With a ninja staring at us three inches from your face
A Sub-Trope of Making Love in All the Wrong Places. Two characters have sex in a room where there's somebody else there who isn't participating. At least some of the characters need to be aware that there is sex happening and a passive observer there. They may be told to Get a Room!, but they don't.
It may be that they were Overcome with Desire, or that they had no other options due to a particularly unusual or cramped living situation. It may be that at least one member of the couple wanted the other person — or, in some cases, anyone — to hear them. Except, unlike in Right Through the Wall examples, they're in the same room. And the other isn't participating.
This is a relatively new trope. In older times, bedding was very expensive and having as many people as possible in a single bed was a good way to save on heating costs, so couples tended to have sex with other people not only in the same room, but in the same bed. The trope currently exists because privacy for a couple having sex has been a viable option for long enough that it has become expected. Nevertheless, this can still be tropeable if it occurs in historical fiction, because this is a common example of Artistic Licence History, due to just how different the shared bed sex would appear to a modern audience.
This can have wildly different implications depending on the exact execution. In a Wacky College setting (or any other small space), it will usually be Played for Laughs due to the small size of any particular setting. In a more dramatic setting, there may be inferences around The Peeping Tom. If the characters have other options but choose not to, Questionable Consent may be alluded to or even mentioned outright, but probably not in a comic setting. The most dramatic outcome will probably involve reference to rape or being Forced to Watch. Primal Scene may be one cause if the child is right there, in which case it will probably involve Abusive Parents and be a Freudian Excuse. It can also overlap with Jealous Romantic Witness, if the third party has feelings for one of the lovers.
May be related to Three-Way Sex if it's done to titillate the other person specifically and intentionally, but it's ususally a technical subversion of that trope.
Related to Coitus Uninterruptus, except that all or most of the sexual act has the person in the room, rather than having them walk in partway through and having the interruption be part of the plot. Contrast with Interrupted Intimacy, as the point is that the intimacy is not interrupted.
- Parodied in an EXTREMELY cheeky commercial for Four Seasons condoms in Australia. A young couple is shown shopping for condoms in a drugstore. At a saleswoman's suggestion, they calmly test out the various products on the pharmacy counter while everyone around them goes about their business.
- A NSFW ad for Hero Condoms (part of a campaign where buying a set of condoms would send condoms to a developing country) had a man choking in a restaurant, and a woman calling "Is There a Doctor in the House?" A man rushes over and begins having sex with the woman right on the table, much to the surprise of everybody, including the choking man.
- In the film adaptation of American Psycho, after Patrick gets bored of watching the two women make out, he starts having sex with the more "upmarket" call girl while the low-class woman watches...and then starts doing something else to her. This also serves to help the "lower-class" woman get a running start when Patrick comes after her with a chainsaw.
- Dressed to Kill: Although it's not a room in this case. Kate and the handsome stranger she meets at the art gallery have sex (or, at the very least, he gives her an orgasm) in the back of the cab, while the taxi driver drives them to his place, while watching through the rearview mirror.
- Enemy at the Gates: Vasily and Tania make love in the crowded Soviet soldiers' bunkers, surrounded by an entire battalion, but keeping their actions discreet enough that nobody seems to notice — except the jealous Danilov.
- Fargo: A variation- Carl and Grimsrud both have sex with prostitutes in different beds in the same room. Afterwards, all four watch TV.
- The Inbetweeners 2:
- Will tries to finger Katie who keeps trying to take it further in a group room at the hostel, while Jay masturbates in a nearby bed.
- A worse experience of this comes later after Will gives Katie and Ben a blistering "The Reason You Suck" Speech and they get back together. Before he can follow his friends to Birdsville, he is forced to endure a night of them having incredibly loud sex just a few beds away.
- John and the Hole: While trapped in the bunker with their daughter Laurie, the parents are either having sex or about to when John reappears to let them out. Thanks to Sexy Discretion Shot (which is not sexy in the circumstances), it isn't clear which.
- Martha Marcy May Marlene: The cult has an extremely relaxed view of sexuality, which is heavily implied to involve a lot of this, especially considering that all the female cult members share beds. After Martha has a night terror/panic attack, she creeps into Ted and Lucy's bedroom while they're having sex. Lucy and Ted are extremely angry, but Martha just replies that "it's a big bed, and you guys were on the other side."
- My Little Eye: Implied to have happened several times, but only clearly occurs when Travis has sex with Charlie in front of the cameras, knowing full well they're being watched by the mysterious audience, and even positioning her so she can be seen better.
- The Ruins: After they get trapped on the hill and Pablo's back is broken in the book (after Matthias's death in the film), Stacy gives Eric a hand job while they are in a tent with Amy. Neither Stacy or Eric really care because their situation is so dire.
- The 1995 movie Sex and the Other Man features a couple who try to spice up their sex life by kidnapping their boss and forcing him repeatedly to watch them have sex.
- Urban Legend: Invoked, and subverted. Natalie thinks this is happening when she returns to her and Tosh's dorm room and finds Tosh pinned down by a dark figure. She goes to bed and puts her headphones in. It turns out that Tosh was actually being killed in the dark, which Natalie only realizes once she turns on the light.
- Zola: This is why Zola's Running Gag is her deadpan and disgusted "They started fucking. It was gross." Stefani has a lot of sex right in front of Zola, mostly just because Zola has been trafficked for prostitution and so is more or less trapped in the room. However, at other times, Stefani and/or X do this (for instance, Stefani having sex with Derrek and X making Derrek watch in the original thread) as a power play.
- Arabian Nights: In the Framing Device, the original Scheherezade Gambit includes Shahrazad's new husband letting her sister Dunyazad sleep in the same room as them during the wedding night. This includes the marriage's consummation itself.
- The Bridge Kingdom Archives: At one point a group of Ithicanian soldiers arrives at a safehouse. There are too few beds for all of them, so Lia and Gorrick, who are a couple, volunteer to share a bed. And then make use of it. Most of the other soldiers are asleep at the time and anyway, the Ithicanian culture is not very prudish, so nobody seems to mind.
- In Cold Blood: Played for Horror in Perry's Freudian Excuse — his abusive mother would have sex with her clients in front of him.
- The Eye of Argon: When Grignr enters the pub men are gambling, drinking, and "making love to willing prostitutes" on the tables.
- A Song of Ice and Fire: During Daenerys's wedding celebration, many of the Dothraki simply grab women and start mounting them during the party.
- You Know You Want This: Played for Drama (and Played for Horror) in "Bad Boy". A friend comes to stay with a couple in their tiny apartment. Eventually, they can't get off without him being present, so they eventually bully him into watching them (and it's not even clear if he consented in the first place).
- The Teresa Knight Trilogy: The sex clubs often have couples "perform" as others watch.
- Blue Mountain State: In the pilot episode, Alex Moran ends up having sex with a a coed. His best friend Sammy is also in the room, masturbating to the whole thing.
- The Fades: Mac and Paul have a strong Homoerotic Subtext to their friendship, which is exemplified by the fact that Paul's seen Mac naked and seen him masturbate (in a shared hotel room in Calais).
- How I Met Your Mother:
- In a college flashback, Marshal and Lily had sex in Marshal and Ted's dorm. When they consider doing it again, Ted, who was in the other bed the whole time, is quite scarred and quietly asks them not to (they do anyway).
- An audio example occurs when Marshal and Lily have sex, not realizing that Marshal's mom is still on the phone and can hear everything.
- Law & Order: Special Victims Unit has several variants, all of which are pretty horrible (given that it is a police show about sex crimes):
- "Dominance" alone has several rape examples, as this seems to be a huge fetish for Charlie. His crimes involve forcing kidnap victims to rape each other, but outside of that totally nonconsensual example, he is in a bizarre three-way relationship with his girlfriend and his younger brother. He persuaded her to take his virginity while Charlie was in the room, and then coerced them into participating in threesomes that may or may not have devolved into Charlie raping his younger brother in front of her.
- Olivia invokes this when she's trying to seduce Stuckey in "Zebras", telling him after they kiss that she wants Stabler to watch them have sex (it's just an excuse so she and Stabler can get the upper hand.)
- It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia: In "Charlie Kelly: King Of The Rats." The Gang meets Charlie's supposed friend Duncan in his dilapidated apartment, surrounded by junkies and with two random people having enthusiastic sense behind a wall of vinyl with their outlines clearly visible. Minutes later they rip through the vinyl and tumble to the floor, still having sex while Duncan berates them.
- New Girl: Played for laughs in "Virgins". In a flashback to Nick and Schmidt's college days, Schmidt (who was still heavily obese at this point) is trying to lose his virginity to then-girlfriend Elizabeth. Nick had promised to be out of the room but was extremely high. Schmidt and Elizabeth started getting it on (he was too stoned to leave the bottom bunk and they were on the top bunk, so they didn't notice him at first). After a mishap involving too much lubricant, Schmidt falls off the top bunk and there is an extended slapstick sequence of Nick trying to help him back up.
- Raising Hope: Discussed but thankfully averted. Sabrina's cousin Shelley thinks Jimmy wants her, and he's too awkward to confront her about it. When she plans their first date to end in sex, Sabrina tries to derail it by inviting herself and her boyfriend for a double date. Shelley nonchalantly says, "That's fine, we'll be under a blanket anyway." Luckily Jimmy manages to tell her he's not interested and she accepts.
- The Sinner: Season 1: Cora and J.D. and Phoebe and Frankie have sex simultaneously (and possibly Todd and Maddy, it's ambiguous) both have sex while separated by the coffee table in the country club and Phoebe dies.
- Upload: In the first episode, Nora watches a movie in VR while her roommate has sex with a random hookup in the other bed. They both seem entirely unconcerned about the situation.
- One verse of The Dismemberment Plan's "Ellen and Ben" has the narrator going over to the titular couple's house to retrieve a CD they had borrowed, and witnessing them constantly making out while naked in front of him.
- Ninja Sex Party:
- In "Next To You", Danny sings about how he's going to be masturbating next to the girl all the time regardless of situation. Then it gets worse, as at the end of the song he spontaneously ends up having a threesome while the girl (and Ninja Brian) are there, right before suggesting the two of them get pizza. This being Ninja Sex Party, the entire scenario is Played for Laughs to make Danny look like a perverted asshole.
- "Party of Three" is a song about Ninja Brian third-wheeling with Danny and his date, which of course culminates in Brian being "three inches" from the girl's face while she and Danny have sex.
- In general, Ninja Brian's status as being a silent, ever-angry observer of events means that he's almost always there to watch whenever Danny has or attempts to have sex in one of the music videos, whether in support or just to lurk. It's not usually called attention to either, which makes it all the more absurd.
- Crusader Kings II: One possible random event during feasts is for a male guest to get overexcited and bang a serving girl in the middle of the banquet hall. The host may be embarrassed, or potentially impressed with the guest's virility.
- Summertime Saga: It's often possible to have sex in public or in other inappropriate places with somebody else in the next room who could walk in at any moment. On at least two occasions, MC can receive oral sex from a woman hiding underneath a desk while he's talking to someone else.
- Happens a lot in Double Homework with the protagonist, Tamara, and Johanna. The reason is unusual; sometimes, two of them will play while the third one takes a much-needed break.
- Dumbing of Age: Daisy (an increasingly desperate lesbian) detects that Walky's shirt was licked by a woman, asks if said woman is bisexual, open to a threesome, and if Walky could just stand in the corner while it happens.
- Juvenile Diversion: One page in chapter 24 is a montage of Erin having sex with various guests in the room she shared with Julie, and the latter learning to ignore it.
- Grrl Power involves Deus, Sciona, and Vale. Sciona visits Deus, wanting access to a list of artifacts that Deus has, thinking he's storing a particular one. Knowing she currently doesn't have his asking price in cash... he offers another way to pay. Then he states Vale will be sticking around, since she's one of his bodyguards, (and Sciona is a bit violent, and definitely evil). Also, Vale "likes to watch."
- Implied in The Nostalgia Critic's review of Freddy vs. Jason, when he tries to get Hyper Fangirl and Devil Boner to fight each other for his amusement. They're far too in love to do it, and Hyper tackles Devil Boner to the ground. The camera cuts to Critic's angry reaction to the scene as we hear a bunch of kissing and whooping from the couple (and Devil Boner's gun going off). Critic decides to put their "fight" down as a draw.
- In the Bojack Horseman episode "Prickly Muffin", Bojack and Sarah Lynn have sex in front of Bojack's housemate Todd. Todd somehow gets his arm stuck and gets unwillingly pulled into the coupling.
- In the Family Guy episode "Whistle While Your Wife Works", Peter and Lois have sex in Peter's office in full view of his co-worker Opie.
- In an episode of Metalocalypse, the band decides to go back to their beginnings and rediscover their love of music by living humbly, i.e. in poor conditions with little money. Though sharing a camper between the five of them doesn't stop Skwisgaar from doing what he does best, much to the horror of his bandmates.