Film watched: Riding With Death, a TV movie compiled from two episodes of the television series Gemini Man.
- Mike regressed back to his days as a teppanyaki chief, leading him cutting like crazy. He soon chops Crow's hand off.
- Mike and the Bots get a call from Pearl, who is on the front lines with Bobo fighting off enemy robots. Brain Guy is also there, but as a nurse for the two. Mike supports the battle with a baking soda rocket, causing the planet to explode. As punishment, Pearl sends out today's experiment.
- Servo performs Funky 70s song about Mt. Vesuvius and Emperor Titus. After clarification from Mike and Crow, Servo performs a song about the 50s, back when Emperor Claudius died and the apostles were there.
- Servo announces that he become a trucker, waxing poetic about the open road, while Mike voices his disgust about Servo's new legs and butt. He continues being a trucker in the theater.
- Crow emerges as the newest superhero on the block, Turkey Volume Guessing Man, who estimates the volume of objects in turkeys. Mike then tries his hand in turkey volume guessing, leading to Crow breaking down over his identity, but he recovers quickly.
- Mike and the Bots halfheartedly roleplay as the cast of Riding with Death, complete with a cardboard Abbey. Back on the Widowmaker, Pearl gets awarded for her war victories.
The Mystery Science Theater 3000 presentation of Riding With Death featured:
- Ac CENT Upon The Wrong Syl LA Ble: Lampshaded.Dr. Hale: This can't BE! You're DEAD!Mike: No, I'm NOT!Crow: It can't BE! You're INVISIBLE!
- Always Someone Better: Mike turns out to be this towards Crow when it comes to the field of guessing how many turkeys it would take to fill a given space.
- Ambiguously Gay: Observer, again. This time, he's dressed as a female nurse, while calling himself a Red Cross medic. (Of course, no field medic has ever been in a nurse's dress.)Pearl: Brain Guy, what the hell is your deal?
Observer: My race is pacifist and does not believe in war. We only kill out of personal spite.
- Aww, Look! They Really Do Love Each Other: Pearl sends Mike "Riding with Death" as punishment for seemingly harming Bobo with his baking-soda bomb.Pearl: Aw, Nelson, look what you've done. This poor, noble ape is gonna croak and it's all your fault! I'm sending you the worst movie I know. It's called Riding with Death and it sucks on toast!
- Billions of Buttons: The control panel for the fighter jet.Servo: All this and no tape deck?
- Bluff The Imposter: Lampshaded.Mike: (as Hale) Sam, I'm blown to several thousand bits, but I've gotta finish these patent papers!
- Call-Back: At one point Mike mocks Abby's screams of "SaaaaAAAAM!" by saying "VaaaaAAAAAAANCE!" like Dr. Langer in The Giant Spider Invasion - a movie they'd seen just four episodes previous.
- Celebrity Resemblance: Due to Alan Oppenheimer's slight resemblance to Gavin MacLeod at the time, which, being the 70's and all, prompts quite a few Mary Tyler Moore Show jokes.
- Corpsing: Mike can't help but crack up at all the bad dialogue inserts, particularly when Crow makes fun of Ben Murphy's voice-over.
- Crazy Enough to Work: During the credits, Crow seems to consider the idea that the movie had an "Executive Story Consultant" unbelievable.Crow: An executive story consultant?!
Servo: (as the consultant) Yes. I advise that you cast the most annoying cracker you can find and slam together two incomprehensible stories!
- Incidentally, the show's executive story consultant was... Steven Bochco. THE Steven Bochco.
- Double Entendre: Mike and the Bots' commentary during the sequence when Buffalo Bill's truck is used to slow down Casey's out-of-control vehicle:Sam: Alrighty, I'm coming up on your mudflaps at 67.
Crow: "Coming up on your mudflaps." People have such cute names for sex.
Mike: Ma' well-oiled chassis is comin' up on yer backside, now.
Servo: My rigid grill structure is bearin' down on yer unprotected cargo door.
Crow: My oft-complimented Peterbilt is rhythmically nudging that sweet honey pot of yours?
Mike and Servo: Crow!
Mike: Drained and satisfied, I'm tracin' lazy circles on yer' supercab now.
Crow: You said I was bad...
Mike: You inspired me.
Crow: (singing) So I sing you to sleep, after the truckin'...Servo: Now they have to get married.
- Form-Fitting Wardrobe: The crew have fun with the WTH, Costuming Department?.
Crow: Operation Cameltoe!
- On Abby:
Crow: The rare male cameltoe!note
- On Sam:
- Gasshole: Pearl and Observer thinks the enemy has unleashed mustard gas on them, but Bobo says he'd just eaten a jar of Flachmann's pickles.
- Getting Crap Past the Radar:Servo: (as Buffalo Bill) Heh, that's my unclean hand!
- Homage: Crow shaking Mike and demanding, "What did you do with that planet, you silly stupid old man?! Someone's going to jail and it's not gonna be me!" was the crew's homage to Jimmy Stewart, who died during the shooting of the episode in 1997.
- Jumping on a Grenade: Subverted. Bobo throws Observer onto a live grenade, where it explodes under him.Observer: (dazed) It's a good thing I don't have a body!
- Literal-Minded: When asked to sing a song about The '70s, Tom Servo sings a 70s-style song about the events of 70-79 AD. He later tries to sing about The '50s...as in, the events of 50-59 AD.
- Martial Pacifist: The Observer discloses that his race doesn't believe in war and that they only kill out of "personal spite."
- Mike Nelson, Destroyer of Worlds: The Trope Namer rides again. "What's that, three for you now?"
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero!: The baking soda bomb probably wouldn't have been as disasterous had Mike not packed too much baking soda into it (not helped by him suddenly remembering a similar bomb that cost him a job in the past due to someone ratting on him, causing him to grab a giant box of the stuff).
- Overly Long Gag: Driscoll spends several minutes cleaning his glasses, which are filled entirely with over the top squeaking sounds and the occasional "Still dirty!" Achieves Brick Joke status when after speaking to him over a CB radio, Mike has Ben ponder that Driscoll sounds like his glasses are dirty over the radio.
- Potty Failure:Crow: (as Buffalo Bill) "I pooped my drawers, I'm so excited!"
- Punctuated Pounding: "MELL! OW! OUT!"
- Running Gag: Turkey jokes for Jive Turkey Sam Casey.
- "Leave Robert Denby alone!" This one was actually carried over into other episodes whose featured movies starred William Sylvester (Gorgo and Devil Doll, in case you were wondering).
- "You're so elusive!"
- Dr. Hale's hilariously inept attempts to convince Sam that he's still in the cargo compartment but doesn't want to be disturbed.Servo: Don't come back here, I'm doing, eh heh, naked burpees!
Mike: (when the truck explodes) Sam, I'm blown to several thousand bits, but I've gotta finish these patent papers!
- Driscoll's filthy, filthy glasses.
- The '70s references come fast and furious, especially Sam's being "mellow"."Her codename: Muskrat Suzie!"
"What would Toni Tennille do?"
- Alan Oppenheimer's resemblance to Gavin MacLeod leads to a few Mary Tyler Moore references when Hale is onscreen.Mike (as Sue Ann Nivens, when Hale shoots at Sam): Oh, Murray... dear, sweet, homicidal Murray.
- Referring to Cupcake by other pastry names.Crow: Bear Claw, no!
Mike: Cupcake, get Twinkie the Kid and Fruit Pie the Magician!
- Later:Crow: The day is yours Cupcake, we shall meet again!... You will rule the world, Emperor Cupcake!
- The idea that Sam is only accidentally turning invisible while checking his watch.Crow (as Sam): It's quarter to three now— (Sam turns invisible) D'oh!
- Several times Abby whimpers "Sam" and Tom says, "You made the pants too long." (It's a reference to an early Barbra Streisand novelty song.)
- A few references to the fact that the "movie" was just two episodes edited together.Mike: ♪ By Mennen! ♫
- Also:Servo: Next up: Karen Valentine guest stars on Hec Ramsey- I mean, when you get home from the theater tonight after this fine movie, heh.
- Also:Mike: Okay, switch over to Name of the Game. Oh, wait...
- Buffalo Bill being a racist hick. One riff has him as a member of a posse comitatus.Crow: See, crackers and hicks can get along.
- Abby's Stock Footage appearance in the second half makes the crew constantly wonder where the hell she's supposed to be.Crow: Mike? Did the ozone layer finally give out...?!
- Shown Their Work / Genius Bonus: Tom Servo's songs on "The '70s" and "The '50s". He recounts events that happened from AD 50-79, including namechecking Saint Paul and the Emperor Titus, as well the eruption of Mt. Vesuvius.
- Sliding Scale Of Broad Appeal VS Specific Appeal: Invoked during the movie's end credits:Mike: Y'know, for some reason, this movie was a hit with elderly black women and Hispanic lesbians.
- Squick: Invoked. Mike and the Bots express their displeasure when Sam and Buffalo Bill first meet.Sam: You know I'm right on your back door, buddy.Crow: Ewwww.Bill: Well, you can keep the Black Barts off my mudflaps.All: (disgusted noises)
- Someone Else's Problem: Mike's initial response to Mrs. Forrester and Bobo fighting in a WWII-esque battle scene is an unenthusiastic "...and?"
- Suspiciously Specific Denial:Sam: How you ridin' back there, Doctor?Mike: (as Hale) I'm not in a helicopter!
- Talkative Loon: Mike and the Bots' impressions of Buffalo Bill, turning his super-enthusiastic Good Ol' Boy talk into gibberish.
- This Is a Work of Fiction: Servo seems to consider it a blessing when the disclaimer pops up in the credits.Mike: All characters depicted are...really stupid and disgusting.
Servo: Any similarities to actual persons would be really sad.
- To Be Continued ... Right Now: "'Riding With Death' will be right back... And we're back."
- Toilet Humor: Turns out it's not mustard gas - just Bobo after eating a jar of pickles.
- What Kind of Lame Power Is Heart, Anyway?: Inspired by a multitude of references to turkeys in the film (okay, one or two), Crow takes up the mantle of Turkey Volume Guessing Man!, who is able to instinctively calculate how many turkeys could fit in a given space, i.e. express something's volume in units of turkey. He doesn't think his power is useful at all, but finds it's a great way to wallow in the Traumatic Superpower Awakening trope. He's very disappointed to learn that Mike shares this power. He then becomes excited at a superhero team of turkey guessers.Crow: Up, and whoooosh!
- What the Hell, Hero?: Crow got pissed that Mike Nelson blew up his third planet.Crow: ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR STUPID, ROTTED SKULL, YOU DUMB MAN?!