After a year and a half, a new habitat called the Splatlands has been discovered, where Inklings and Octolings alike coexist. Following Team Chaos' victory in the previous game's Final Fest, development of the new hub city Splatsville — dubbed the "city of chaos" — accelerated to the point of becoming a new settlement for both races, changing their cultures and advancing trends further. Despite the harsh climate conditions, this has not stopped anyone from enjoying the sport they love the most: Turf Wars.
The game has a tentative 2022 release. The announcement trailer can be found here.
Tropes associated with Splatoon 3:
- After the End: The first trailer shows a structure that resembles the Eiffel Tower upside-down and in the middle of a desert wasteland.
- Attack Drone: One of the sub weapons or special weapons shown in the trailer is a crab bot with cannons mounted in its claws.
- Death from Above: Whereas the Splashdown was a special in 2, the first trailer shows players shot onto the field from floating spawn pods. This effectively means there is no fixed spawn point, making spawn camping completely useless.
- Gender-Neutral Writing: The Character Customization screen shown in the first trailer no longer makes reference to choosing a specific gender, instead allowing players to select their "style".
- In the Hood: The first trailer introduces the Player Character wearing a tattered hooded cape that helps to conceal their face until it's been customized.
- Monumental Damage: The teaser trailer prominently features an upended Eiffel Tower in the background.
- Multishot: One of the new weapons showcased in the trailer resembles a bow and arrow, and is capable of launching three long-range shots of ink at a time.
- Scenery Gorn: The trailer showcases the barren wasteland that is the Splatlands - a harsh desert littered with metal scraps and rusting train cars. The centerpiece is what appears to be a long-abandoned Eiffel Tower, overturned and left to time.
- The Straight and Arrow Path: One of the weapons shown in the trailer is a compound bow that can shoot three jets of ink at once.