It's filled with distortion, and ruin can no longer be avoided.
Those who oppose fate and desire change...
From time to time, they were referred to as Tricksters.
You are the Trickster.
Now is the time to rise against the abyss of distortion.
Persona 5 is an Urban Fantasy Role-Playing Game, and the fourth numbered sequel in the Shin Megami Tensei JRPG franchise's Persona sub-series, developed by Atlus for PlayStation 3 and PlayStation 4. It is the first mainline entry in the Persona franchise following Sega's purchase of Atlus in 2013 and the first numbered Persona game to launch on multiple consoles. The game released in Japan on September 15, 2016, in Traditional Chinese on March 23, 2017, with an English dub in the Americas and Europe on April 4, and in South Korea on June 8.
It is the year 20XX. The world is not as it should be. In Tokyo, psychotic and mental breakdowns are becoming more common amongst the general public, leading to a string of high-profile accidents and crimes. Public confidence in the government and justice system is falling, and the powerful elites of the city plot to turn these incidents to their advantage.
You are an Ordinary High-School Student who has been falsely convicted of assault and sentenced to a year-long probation in Tokyo. On your first day attending Shujin Academy, you and a fellow outcast accidentally stumble into a mysterious Mental World known as the Metaverse: a place where cognition becomes reality, and real-world locations are twisted by the thoughts of humans. Within this world, the most corrupt humans have subconsciously created mental fortresses called "Palaces" where their innermost vices and desires are allowed to run rampant.
It's not all hopeless though - as one of this world's inhabitants explains, stealing the "Treasure" that forms the heart of the Palace will erase the owner's twisted desires, forcing them to confront the horrible things they've done. With the aid of a mysterious smartphone app and the inner-power of "Persona", you decide to use the Metaverse to strike back against the rotten society that cast you out, forming a crew of Phantom Thieves dedicated to stealing Treasure and forcibly reforming the corrupt.
But that's not all. Beneath the Palaces is "Mementos", a twisted labyrinth created from the amalgamated thoughts of the entire city. Between jobs, you and your companions journey into Mementos to halt corrupted desires before they become sinister enough to warrant their own Palace. With each corrupted heart taking you further and further in the depths of Mementos, you begin to wonder; is it truly a never-ending maze? Is there a bottom to this pit? And if there is, what's down there?
Persona 5's core gameplay is a refinement of the formula established in Persona 3 and 4, with the game being evenly split between turn-based dungeon-crawling and Dating Sim-esque social simulator. However, a few elements from the first Persona and Persona 2 also make their return; all party members are able to use both melee weapons and firearms, and you can negotiate with enemies for Personas, money, or items. Additionally, the dungeon-crawling itself been overhauled; the main quest Palaces are all 100% pre-made instead of being randomly generated, and feature platforming, puzzles, stealth, and traps, making them much more elaborate than previous games' dungeons. The one exception is Mementos, a sprawling randomly-generated Palace which serves as the main setting for sidequests.
An Updated Re-release, Persona 5 Royal, released for the PlayStation 4 on October 31, 2019 in Japan and is set to release on March 31, 2020 in the West. The game features several new additions, such as new areas, new enemies, revamped Palaces, a new party member (Kasumi Yoshizawa) and Confidant (Takuto Maruki), a new Palace, and new story events set during the original version's winter Time Skip. The game also features graphical enhancements on the PS4 Pro.
- Persona 5: The Day Breakers - September 4, 2016 anime special.
- Persona 5: The Animation - April 7, 2018 animated TV series.
- Persona 5: The Night Breakers - December 7, 2016 Drama CD tying into The Day Breakers special from Makoto, Futaba and Haru's perspective.
- Persona 5: Dancing in Starlight - 2018 Rhythm Game Spin-Off for PS4 and Vita.
- Persona Q2: New Cinema Labyrinth - Dungeon Crawler for Nintendo 3DS; crossover with cast of Persona 3 and Persona 4.
- Persona 5 Scramble: The Phantom Strikers - Action RPG spinoff done in collaboration with Koei Tecmo studio Omega Force, most well known for the Dynasty Warriors series, for PS4 and Nintendo Switch. Its story serves as a direct sequel to the events of the original game. Will be released in Japan on February 20, 2020, with a Western release to be determined.
- Persona 5: the Stage - 2019 stage play.
- Persona 5 - 2016 manga adaptation available on both Shogakukan's Manga One app and the Ura Sunday Website
- Persona 5: comic a la carte
- Persona 5 Comic Anthology
- Persona 5 Dengeki Comic Anthology
- Persona 5: Mementos Missions
- Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - The protagonist, going under his codename "Joker", serves as the second DLC character, and one of a few non-Nintendo Guest Fighters. His DLC pack includes Mementos as a stage, featuring an assortment of music tracks from the Persona series, including a few new remixes. The rest of the Phantom Thieves make various cameos in his moveset and the Mementos stage.
Previews: Teaser, Teaser 2, Trailer 1, Trailer 2, Trailer 3, Trailer 4, P5R Teaser, Royal Teaser, Royal Trailer 1, Kasumi Yoshizawa Character Trailer, Royal E3 2019 Trailer, Royal Trailer 2, Royal Trailer 3, Royal OP Japanese TV Commerical