There are many ways to show how much contempt a person has for someone else. One classic way is through spitting. In general, spitting is considered a rather rude, disgusting and unsanitary habit. Spitting on another person is also a form of assault. When somebody is forced to wear that spit on their face? Well... that can be a bit insulting. This can be used by any character, whether they be the protagonist refusing to Kneel Before Zod, or the Defiant Captive's retort to I Have You Now, My Pretty, or the villain rejecting the hero's offer of a Last-Second Chance.
In fiction, Spiteful Spit usually shows up in three flavors:
- When one person spits on another, usually the face.
- A variation on this is spitting on someone's corpse, a sign of ultimate disrespect for that person (not to mention a lack of respect - see Due to the Dead).
- Spitting on a person's prized possession or their food/drinks. This version is more stealth, but still shows quite a bit of contempt.
- Spitting at the mere mention of the other person's name — which may be either a show of disrespect or, in some cultures, a way to ward off bad luck associated with a cursed or evil person.
How someone reacts to being on the receiving end of this trope can say quite a bit about them. If they lash out instantly, they may be Hot-Blooded or Not So Stoic. Alternately, a Consummate Professional or The Stoic might instead calmly wipe the spit off (if they were spat on directly) or simply ignore it.
- Rurouni Kenshin:
- One of Shishio's Mooks gets captured by the Kyoto ninja, and spits in defiance when questioned. The head ninja's response is to tell his assistants to break out the long nails and candle wax.
- Several chapters earlier, while Aoshi's on his way to Kyoto, he sees four of Shishio's mooks having a picnic around his deceased henchmen's gravestones. He tells the mooks not to desecrate the graves, in response to which one of them contemptuously spits on one gravestone. Aoshi does not take it well.
- In Reborn! (2004) Gamma reveals to Gokudera that the Tenth Vongola Boss was gunned down in plain view of many of his subordinates. Gokudera then dives into a fight with Gamma he definitely won't win. When he loses Gamma tortures him for information and Gokudera responds by spitting in his face.
- Yu Yu Hakusho: Seiryuu kills Byakko and spits on his severed head for losing to Kuwabara.
- In the Area 88 manga, Taeko spits in Kanzaki's face when she has him arrested for tax evasion. Taeko was furious at Kanzaki for trying to have her murdered and for manipulating Ryoko into a narrowly averted Scarpia Ultimatum.
- Dragon Ball Z:
- A rare heroic example when Piccolo "fights" Babidi. After Piccolo chews out Babidi telling him that Majin Buu can still be killed without Babidi's ability to seal him away, he chops Babidi in half, and then spits on him.
- Another heroic example when Mr. Satan beats up the psychopath Van Zant, who had shot an innocent puppy, then spits in his general direction.
- JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Phantom Blood: Dio Brando visits his abusive father's grave for the sole purpose of spitting on it.
- Subverted in the Golden Boy anime's first episode. The president of the software compare Kentaro is working for is utterly livid when she finds out he accidentally deleted their latest project just as it was almost finished. Madame President spits at him, but Kentaro, being the giant pervert that he is, catches said spit in his mouth. She then beats the crap out of him.
- Cross Ange:
- When Hilda reveals that she never actually thought of Chris and Rosalie as friends and was just using them, Chris angrily spits in her face.
- When Jill tries to hold Momoka hostage to force Ange to go along with her plan, Ange spits in her face.
- In the manga Sakura Gari, the main character, Masataka, is brutally tortured and raped by his boss's doctor, Dr. Katsuragi, because the latter has been used as Souma's personal sex toy, and Katsuragi is jealous of him. Later, Katsuragi confesses that he manipulated a young Souma into killing his stepmother, gloating about how he could have Souma to himself (and then proceeding to rape and torture him for years afterward). It's when Katsuragi makes a comment about keeping Masataka as a pet/slave that the latter realizes he's utterly batshit insane, spitting in his face in response.
- In Black Lagoon Revy does this at the pool Chaka is drowning in after he had his arm sliced off by Ginji for being a huge jerkass.
- Magi: Labyrinth of Magic: Have Jafar doing this to Koubun Ka while try begging for forgiveness in front Kougyoku Ren. When he think if he apologizes with all his strength, they will forgive him for trying ruin Sinbad's Reputation. Just then, Jafar passes them by and spits at him.
- Gintama also done lots of it. Mostly Played for Laughs. Like, spit on people, items or hearing something they don't like. Here the evidence, they have Kagura and Sakata Gintoki did it at Hasegawa Taizo (Madao).
- In All-Star Superman (pictured), Superman visits Lex Luthor in prison, and tries one more time to convince him to change his ways and use his intellect for the betterment of humanity. Lex's rebuttal is to wordlessly walk up to Superman, and hock one on the glass.
- In The Killers Of Krypton, Harry Hokum has captured Supergirl, and demands to know why she has come so far from Earth. Supergirl says she will reveal her super secret mission if he comes close enough to hear her whispering... and then she spits right on his eye.
- Preacher: You know how some people talk about spitting in God's face? Jesse Custer does it literally.
- Later on, Hoover has pranked Herr Starr with the old "Black eye glass" trick, right before he has a meeting with some of the Grail's remaining soldiers. Featherstone is too shocked that he would do that to warn Starr, and she doesn't want him to get killed either. After the meeting, Featherstone tries to apologize to Starr, but without a word, he spits in her face and walks off. Suddenly it's not so funny.
- In Batman: The Dark Knight Returns, after The Joker kills himself, Batman makes sure to spit on his face before trying to evade the police.
- Transformers: Soundwave would spit at the mention of Autobots during his tenure on the UK The Transformers comic's letters page.
- Gambit weaponised this once while captured, by charging a piece of gum using his mutant powers, then spitting it in the face of his captor. The result was messy.
- Button Man: Before a four-way match in the desert, an opponent by the name of "Crow" spits at Harry's feet when he notes that the guy is late.
Crow: Sorry about that.
Harry: You will be.
- The Ultimates: Captain America spit at the wifebeater Pym after reducing him to a pulp.
- The Further Adventures of Indiana Jones: In #30, defiant IRA agent Michael Cobb spits in the Sgt. Pei, the Chinese soldier who is torturing him.
- In The Sandman, when the angel Remiel visits Lucifer and asks him if he'd consider going back to Hell (Remiel and his friend Duma were tasked with watching over Hell after Lucifer quit and Remiel hates it). Lucifer laughs in his face and refuses, then goes on to taunt Remiel for his cowardice and remarks that Duma must have been the one who ultimately had the backbone to take the Key to Hell (he's right). Remiel then spits in Lucifer's face. Lucifer calmly wipes off the spittle, just as calmly points out that he's still powerful enough to annihilate Remiel...then lets him go content with scaring him out of his wits.
- "Aen'rhien Vailiuri": Maje Tillih spits at Morgan when she's interrogating him, right before telling her she dishonors her ship by commanding it (because she's a woman) and she kills him for it.
- In Double Agent Vader, a captured rebel spits at Tarkin before being executed.
- Dungeon Keeper Ami: From "Journey's End", when a guard dislikes the tactics of his enemies:
"Keeper Arachne," here the guard spat on the ground, "is what happened. Bastard hollowed out the underground below. One moment, the building was there, and the next there was only a big hole with dust rising from it." His face turned sorrowful as he added "We lost many volunteers who had been lodged there. Most of the priests too, I'm afraid."
- In Escribamens Harry spits in Draco's face when Draco demands to know who beat Harry up over the summer.
- In Harry Potter and the Last Chance Harry spits at Voldemort's feet.
- Jessica gets spit at by a john in Lost Causes after Roger saves her from him:
She never could remember what exactly it was Roger said to the man. It must have been a joke, something so abnormal for the situation that her customer spat at her, hunched his black trenchcoat around his shoulders, and stalked off.
- Inverted, literally, in The Keys Stand Alone: The Soft World. John has just buried the mine-robbers up to their necks in mud, and he gets on hands and knees to gloat at one of them. The mine-robber, a very stern and dignified paladin-type, spits at him. However, John anticipated that, and, using his complete control over water, reverses the spit in midair and makes it hit the guy's face.
- In The Last Casualties Remus spits on Harry's abusive aunt and uncle, then states Harry's cousin isn't even worth the spit.
- In Not Long Enough Neville spits in Sabine's face after she denies the existence of his, Harry and Luna's soul bond.
- In the Soul Eater fic Oblivion, after Medusa has smacked her younger sister Shaula around before saying that Shaula is going to help her with one of her experiments, Shaula spits blood in her eye and vehemently refuses.
- Only Truly Dead: Lu Hui spits in Tong's face when he says that he wants to take care of her and their child.
- It's mentioned in Restraint that Azula did this towards Zuko in the past:
She has the distinct recollection of Zuko coming to the asylum, days before Azula tried to escape and caused enough carnage to get her sent to the Boiling Rock. He said he was sorry, that he wanted to help her. She spat in his face.
- On the My Little Pony blog The Royal Sketchbook, when Twilight arrives to help pillaged villagers, a bandit mocks Twilight's usage of turning villains into friends and then spits in her face.
- In Susan Bones and the Prisoner of Azkaban Cho Chang punches Ginny in the mouth and she spits blood in Cho's face.
- Sword Art Online Abridged enters its second season with a welcome edit to the scene where the Big Bad comes to gloat over a caged Asuna:
YouTube comment: Wonder if they'll fix the problem the original series had with Asuna in this part?
(Asuna hocks a loogie on Sugou's face)
YouTube Comment: Yeah, they did.
- In Talk the Talk the entire Shunpike family spit on the ground whenever the Ministry of Magic is mentioned.
- In Trust Is a Relative Thing Aaron Yaxley spits on the ground after mentioning the McLaggans.
- In Winter War, Ikkaku spits on the floor when explaining that Ichimaru Gin has taken control of Seireitei and is calling himself "soutaichou".
- Marc Being In A Gang Rights: When he is being questioned by the leader of the gang that kidnapped him, Nathaniel spits in his mouth while it was opened. When angrily questioned why he did that, he admits that he was hoping his anger would get him akumatized, leading Ladybug and Cat Noir where he was kidnapped.
- In Shrek, the Gingerbread Man spits in Lord Farquaad's face during his interrogation.
Farquaad: Tell me where they're hiding!
Gingerbread Man: Eat me! (spits)
- In Disney's version of The Hunchback of Notre Dame, Esmeralda spits on Frollo's face. She does this while tied to a stake, ready to be burned, and this is her answer to Frollo's proposal that she be released in exchange for being "his".
- The beginning of Batman: Under the Red Hood has Jason Todd spitting blood on Joker's face after almost being beaten to death by him.
- In Rio, Jewel does this to the leader of the marmosets sent to capture her and Blu. Blu tries the same, only for it to dribble down his beak.
Blu: Uh...that was meant for you.
- In Spark Rebels spit at the mention of Spark's tyrannical uncle.
- In Balto Steele does this to Balto when taunting him for being a wolf/dog hybrid.
- Anger of the Dead: Ben spits in Rooker's face after revealing he set Rooker's prisoner free.
- In The Matrix, Tank forcefully spits after he electrocutes the traitorous Cypher.
- In The Producers, Bialystock and Bloom briefly wear swastika armlets in order to appease Liebkind, then put them in a rubbish bin as soon as they are out on the street and spit on them before putting the lid on.
- Happens in Sherlock Holmes (2009) with Robert Downey Jr., when his character is in a fight. He does not take it well.
- In the movie Oranges Are Not The Only Fruit, having been abused by her family's church's congregation, Jeanette spits in the face of one of the members when he says "I forgive you."
- The Lord of the Rings:
- The Two Towers has Wormtongue spitting at Aragorn when the latter offers a hand to help him up.
- In The Return of the King, this happens during the Siege of Gondor. The defensive catapults hurl a bolder at the Orc Commander. He waits until the last possible second, before casually stepping to the side and contemptuously spitting on it to display the superiority of Orcs over Man.
- In The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp (1943) Kaunitz, who had been a German prisoner of war during the Boer War, has published accusations that the British have committed atrocities in South Africa; when the film's English hero, Candy, calls him out on it, Kaunitz spits in his face, and Candy punches him.
- In Monty Python's Life of Brian, the jailer spits on Brian, to the envy of another prisoner.
Prisoner: What wouldn't I give, to be spat at in the face!
- In The Saint (1997), Emma runs to the Embassy, pursued by Russian mobsters. When the guard shuts the gate and tells the crooks to step back, their leader spits in his face, and the guard stands his ground looking very offended.
- Total Recall (1990). Cohaagen is about to have Melina's personality overwritten. He tells her "We're having you fixed. You're going to be respectful, compliant, and appreciative, the way a woman should be." She spits in his face.
- Starship Troopers. Zander (Carmen's boyfriend) does this to the Brain Bug just before it sucks out his brain.
- Dr. No. After Bond has Miss Taro arrested for being Dr. No's spy/henchwoman, she spits in his face.
- Fatal Instinct. In the flashback Back Story, Max Shady spat in Ned Ravines face when the jury found him guilty.
- Scarface (1983): Tony Montana curses and spits at Hector the Toad while he is being held hostage by him.
- Tank Girl: The title character does it to a Water & Power trooper when she's captured.
- The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension. Penny Priddy does it to Lord John Whorfin while he's interrogating her inside Yoyodyne.
- A Clockwork Orange: Alex's probation officer, Deltoid, spits on his face after he is arrested.
- Kill Bill Vol 2: The Bride spits blood in Budd's face after he shoots her. He responds by spitting back - except his spit is far more plentiful and laden with chewed tobacco.
- I Know Where I'm Going! has the captain spit to his side, because a young kid recklessly went out into a gale to try and take Joan Webster to the island of Kiloran.
- In Little Nicky, Valerie does this to Adrian. He responds by swallowing it.
- The Evil That Men Do (1984) opens with the torture specialist villain giving a lecture to a group of army officers with the 'help' of a prisoner who, at one point, spits in his face. The doctor calmly wipes it off and says, "Notice, gentlemen, how the subject clings to compensatory morale, and habitual defences." Then he calls for the electrodes.
- In Titanic (1997) Rose, to get away from Cal who is keeping her from going to rescue Jack, spits in Cal's face.
- In Ever After Paulette says at one point about Monsieur le Peu "Horrible man. If he didn't buy a bushel of vegetables every week, I'd spit on him!"
- Late in Raising Arizona, the bounty hunter catches up with H.I. and beats the daylights out of him. As he pulls H.I. up by the collar, H.I. defiantly spits a tooth out at him.
- In Desert Heat, Jessie Hogan spitefully spits a large stream of tobacco juice onto the floor of a pawn shop he just finished extorting, maintaining eye contact the entire time.
- In David Lynch's Dune (1984), when Baron Vladimir Harkonnen spits on Jessica Atreides.
- In RoboCop (1987), when Robo arrests crime lord Clarence Boddicker after shooting up his drug lab, Clarence spits blood in his face (Robo had roughed him up just a bit by throwing him through a couple of glass windows).
- Done symbolically in Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan by Khan: [quoting from Melville's Moby-Dick] "To the last, I will grapple with thee... from Hell's heart, I stab at thee! For hate's sake, I spit my last breath at thee!"
- In Savages after learning that she was raped by El Lado, Ophelia spits in his face. He responds by licking it up.
- The Monuments Men. German officer Viktor Stahl tells French archivist Claire Simon to fetch him another champagne glass so he can share a toast with Hermann Goering. She selects a glass from the kitchen and spits in it. A member of the staff is looking on in surprise, but when Claire informs her it's for Stahl she spits in the glass as well.
- In Transporter 3, the female lead spits into the Big Bad's face out of contempt. He doesn't take it well though.
- In The Professional, Mathilda spits at a SWAT officer after he removes his hand from her mouth.
- Two examples in the Pirates of the Caribbean series:
- In Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl, Koehler does this toward Jack Sparrow when he discovers him in the jail.
- In Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides, Captain Barbossa spits on a Spanish soldier he's just cut down.
- In The Hunt (2012), Marcus spits Klara in the face as a sign of his utter contempt for her False Rape Accusation against his father.
- In Gangs of New York, Amsterdam spits blood in Bill Cutting's face while pinned to a table and threatened with disfigurement. This prompts Bill to headbutt him viciously. (During the filming of the latter, Daniel Day-Lewis broke his nose.)
- Barney Ross does this upon defeating Vilain at the end of The Expendables 2.
- Mad Max: Fury Road has a couple of these. When Nux is gloating to Furiosa what Joe will do to her, she spits on him. He responds by spitting back. Then at the end, after Furiosa brutally rips Immortan Joe's face off, Toast spits at his corpse.
- Played for Laughs in Top Secret!. After the East German general tells Nick Rivers that his manager is dead and that no one will be coming to save him, Nick spits across the room in the general's face.
- In Hobo with a Shotgun the hobo spits on a pedophile dressed as Santa Claus in his car before blowing his brains out.
- In Key Largo, Nora spits in the face of Big Bad Rocco out of contempt.
- In The Conqueror, when Temujin is captured by the Mongol leader, he announces, "I regret that I cannot salute you as I would. I am bereft of spit."
- Salt of the Earth: A disgusted Juan does this when he catches Ramon, a fellow Mexican, trying to break through the picket line. This is all the sheriff needs to arrest Juan on assault charges.
- And Starring Pancho Villa as Himself. A grieving widow spits in Pancho Villa's face after she's told her son has been killed. Villa executes her on the spot, to the shock of the watching American moviemakers who'd been portraying Villa as Just Like Robin Hood.
- In the Bob Hope/Bing Crosby film Road to Morocco, a camel expresses its displeasure by spitting in Hope's eye.
- In the Australian cult movie Stone, the Satan-worshipping biker Dr Death is crawling through a graveyard after being shot. Coming across a beautiful angel statue, he defiantly spits Blood from the Mouth over it.
- In flashback in Bring Me the Head of the Machine Gun Woman, the Machine Gun Woman spits in Longara's face on the dance floor of the Tango Club.
- In The Death of Stalin, Vasily tries to do this when he's tackled and held down. It backfires and the spit hits his own forehead.
- In Star Kid Manfred or Turbo as he likes to be known, knocks Spencer's comic book on the ground as he's bullying him, spits in it, and shoves it back at him.
- Done off-screen in Gattaca. The murderer is discovered when his DNA is found in the spit he left in the victim's eye.
- Invoked in The Women when Miriam Aarons offers to spit in Crystal's eye for Mary.
Miriam: Where I spit no grass grows ever.
- The Long Good Friday. At the start of the movie, a women dressed in Widow's Weeds lifts her veil to spit at Harold Shand's right-hand man. Shand assumes it's a personal matter and doesn't think to follow it up until later, when it becomes obvious that there are things going on in his criminal organisation that he hasn't been told about. The scriptwriter Barrie Keeffe drew inspiration from a similar incident that happened to him when he was a reporter.
- Ahn deliberately spits on Brock's grave at the end of his funeral in Cold Pursuit.
- In The Dark Knight, after Batman crashes the Batpod, one of the Joker's lackeys starts to unmask him but is stunned by the electrified clasps on the cowl. Joker does a manic stomp dance on the lackey and then spits on him.
- John Wick: Chapter 3 Parabellum. John Wick has to walk out into the desert to meet the Elder or die trying. His Distaff Counterpart Sofia (whom he's just fought side-by-side with) looks like she's going to give what's left in her water bottle to John, only to drink it herself, use what's left to rinse out her mouth and then spit that back into the bottle which she then hands to John. Given the ambiguous nature of their past history, it's either Spiteful Spit or a Take That Indirect Kiss.
- In Magnolia Frank Mackey symbolically spits onto the journalist at the end of their interview as he got fed up with her poking in his Dark and Troubled Past.
- Snuff Movie: When Angie is died to a chair and Jack is lambasting her for having sex with Matt, she shuts him up by spitting in his face.
- In Relative Fear, Adam's mother screams at the doctors and nurses for taking her son away, and spits on one of their faces.
- In the movie version of Fiddler on the Roof, Golde frequently mimes spitting when talking about people she doesn't approve of.
- In .45, when the priest admits his own sexual desires to Big Al, Al says that he abhors weakness and spits at the priest's feet.
- In Boot Camp, Jack spits contemptuously at Dr. Hail when he first arrives on the island, and is immediately knocked down by Logan.
- Hot Spur: When Jason is ripping her a new one for leading on the cowhands, Susan spits in his face.
- In The Daisy Chain, Daisy spits on Cryan, who runs home to frantically wash his cheek. Which still ends up badly burned.
- Starred Up: When Eric seals himself in his cell, he spits at Haynes who is looking at him therough the view slot. The gob is stopped by the perspex in the slot, however.
- Demon Knight: When the Collector attempts to tempt Jeryline into letting him into the hotel, her response is to spit in his face.
- There's a joke about a tourist visiting Texas who gets cornered at a bar by the self-proclaimed local spitting champion, who proves it by hawking three loogies in quick succession not an inch from the tourist's face. The tourist responds by spitting square in the guy's face and saying he's a beginner.
- The Alice Network:
- When Eve visits Violette, who is now running a china shop, Violette spits in her face. Eve ignores this, feeling she deserves it, even as she continues to insult and berate Violette.
- When Eve is being tortured for information, her only viable weapon is her mouth. She spits in her torturer's face and later bites him on the lip.
- Danny, the Champion of the World: A keeper spits at Danny's father, following a Deadpan Snarker reply.
"What are we playing?" my father said. "Twenty Questions?"
The keeper spat out a big gob of spit which went sailing through the air and landed close to my father's plaster foot. It looked like a little baby oyster lying there.
- The Dresden Files, Battle Ground: As he dies impaled on her weapon, Hendricks spits scornfully at Ethniu. The gesture of contempt from a human "insect" infuriates Ethniu, contributing slightly to her Villainous Breakdown.
- In the Safehold series by David Weber: Gwylym Manthyr is the last of his crew to be tortured to death on a rack, and his voice has been taken by months of Cold-Blooded Torture. So when Grand Inquisitor Zhaspahr Clyntahn performs his 'cow the heretic' act before the crowd, knowing Manthyr can't speak, Manthyr finds a way. And as he dies, he gets to savor the look on the Grand Inquisitors face.
- In To Kill a Mockingbird, Bob Ewell spits on Atticus when the lawyer decides that he will defend Tom Robinson in court.
- Harry Potter:
- In Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, Karkaroff accuses Dumbledore of cheating in the Triwizard Tournament when his champion Krum is attacked by a delusional Barty Crouch. He follows his tirade by spitting at Dumbledore's feet...which pisses Hagrid off and slams him up against a tree.
- In Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Amycus Carrow spits in Professor McGonagall's face. This doesn't sit well with Harry.
- Subverted in the original novel where a Fremen spits on the prince's desk and it almost ends in violence. Then it is explained that it's actually a local form of showing respect—on Arrakis, water is that valuable.
- Children of Dune plays it straight, where spitting on a person implies they're not worth any water.
- Star Wars Expanded Universe:
- Alan Dean Foster's novel Splinter of the Mind's Eye. Captain-Supervisor Grammel insults the Yuzzem by saying that they stink. One of the Yuzzem retaliates by spitting a blob of saliva and hitting him on the back of the neck. Later, when Leia takes up Luke's lightsaber to fight Darth Vader - yes, she is a badass, and he laughs at her, she spits at him.
- In Solo Command, a captured enemy scientist spits on Nawara Ven, who takes it in stride. It's rather satisfying; she's got a serious case of Fantastic Racism, and he's a nonhuman who's been bearing up calmly under it for half the book.
He brought out a handkerchief of fine cloth, wiped the sputum away, and discarded it, as though the substance were poison, ruining the cloth forevermore.
- Defied, though, by Jaina Solo in during the New Jedi Order when Kyp Durron involves her in his latest scheme. She says, venomously, that if he were dying of thirst on Tatooine she wouldn't spit on him. (Presumably because in some small way that might help him — which she categorically refuses to do.)
- Used and subverted in Protector of the Small. On one hand, Kel needs to find a gesture to show the Chamber that it won't break her with its nightmarish visions. On the other, it's later "an offering of herself" to appease any restless ghosts.
- In Les Misérables, Fantine, fallen as low as she can get (a whore, sick with tuberculosis, and arrested for attacking a bourgeois) spits in the face of the mayor, because his strict laws about moral conduct were what drove her to her state. The mayor, being a Messianic Archetype, forgives her for it almost at once.
- In Bloody Jack Clarissa once spits full in Jacky's face in contempt.
- Bertha, Rochester's insane wife in Jane Eyre does this to the titular character.
- Russ Martin's The Possession Of Jessica Young. The title character is about to undergo malicious brain surgery at the orders of Abbott, a leader of a Satanic organization. As he's gloating over her she spits in his face.
- In The Hunger Games, Katniss, with a mixture of blood and spit, does this to Clove while she's pinned and almost killed by her at the feast at the cornucopia.
- Moby-Dick: "To the last, I will grapple with thee... from Hell's heart, I stab at thee! For hate's sake, I spit my last breath at thee!"
- A palace guard spits on Flashman's shadow in Flashman and the Great Game. Given that he's Famed in Story, Flashman calmly tells the guard he can tell his grandchildren that he spat on the shadow of Bloody Lance and lived. Cue Oh, Crap! from the spitee.
- The Executioner:
- In "Ambush on Blood River", David McCarter spits in the face of a State Sec torturer so he will select Carter for torture instead of another member of their group who is more likely to talk.
- In the second Phoenix Force novel Guerilla Games, a hostage spits in the face of a terrorist leader. He has her strapped to a table and starts removing every second tooth with pliers, alternating so the top and bottom rows don't match up.
- "The Tamarisk Hunter": When the word "California" falls in conversation, seeing as it has gained complete control over the Colorado River and taken the water of the towns on it away.
- Kate Shugak: A dying Erland Bannister attempts to spit on Kate in Less Than a Treason. He is so feeble by this stage that his phlegm does not even reach her, but lands on his bed.
- In the movie of the book The Road a thief spits on the cart of belongings to the man and boy at first when he refuses to give them up. He later ends up naked to die in the cold after giving up The Man's stuff and having his clothes taken from him.
- In Tailchaser's Song the cat equivalent of this is spraying another cat in the face.
- Thursday does this in Lost In A Good Book to Brick Shitt-Hawse, having realised that Brick has just had her husband eradicated.
I've never spat in someone's face before, but it was a good one - I got him right in the eye.
- The Witches:
- When a hotel guest complains about tough meat, the chef dishes up a replacement, and says "come on boys, give her some gravy!", before passing the plate around the kitchen, to be spat on by all the cooks and kitchen boys. Later the guest reports that the defiled meat was really tasty.
- Witches have blue spit, which they use to write with; but for all their cruelty to children, they never spit, as this would give them away.
- Xandri Corelel: A captured mercenary in Testing Pandora tries to spit on Captain Chui, but he misses, and the spit lands harmlessly at her feet.
- Eye of a Fly: Ernest's Aunt Faith used to occasionally take him to church. When his antireligious father found out, he went to the church and spat at the minister.
- American Gods: At Laura's funeral, one of her friends spits on her face in full view of Laura's husband, then flatly tells him that Laura was having an affair with her own husband and was giving him oral sex before her deadly car accident.
- All My Children: After Michael Cambias' death, before which he had earned the hatred of everyone in Pine Valley for his rape of Bianca, Bianca's then-lover Lena personally spits on his grave.
- A bit of a Running Gag in 'Allo 'Allo!, set in Nazi-occupied France. René's elderly mother-in-law would frequently show her disgust for the Germans by spitting, get carried away and start spitting on everyone around. A mere mention of Germans is enough to set her off.
- Altered Carbon: Takeshi Kovacs drags a seriously wounded Detective Ortega into a hospital, only to be told by a rather disinterested nurse that Ortega hasn't got the credit for proper medical care. So Kovacs spits on the desk in front of the nurse. He's actually providing DNA authentication for his employer's Arbitrarily Large Bank Account, but this trope is implied.
- American Gothic (1995): Lucas Buck has an open casket funeral and the town turns up to show their respect. One man with a hook for a hand however tries to slash Buck's face in revenge but is restrained, so he spits on Buck instead. A blind man who's next in line then tries to mop up the result. "You were always good to me."
- In "Salvage", while being severely beaten, Faith is Defiant to the End and hocks a loogie of her own blood in The Beast's face.
- The Catchphrase of the head of the Italian branch of Wolfram & Hart in "The Girl in Question":
- After years of absence, Lorne returns home and has a touching reunion with his mom in "Through the Looking Glass".
"I've often prayed that I might look upon your face. (spits in Lorne's face) You have shamed our clan and betrayed our kind."
- In Blackadder II, the guards spit on Blackadder and Melchett's food. Being German sticklers for efficiency, they do this in unison.
- In one episode, the Perp Of The Week was caught because he spat on the victim after he killed him, so they were able to trace his DNA.
- In another episode, Booth and Brennan were investigating a death metal band, and interrupted their practice to question them. Booth whipped out his badge and asked them to stop playing. The lead singer spit on the badge, so Booth pulled out his gun and shot their amps, freaking out the band. When one of them asked him if he would put away his gun, he calmly told them he was thinking about it while wiping off his badge on the lead's pants.
- Buffy the Vampire Slayer:
- In "Tough Love", Willow almost manages to kill Glory. After she's used up all her magic and it looks like Glory will squash her like a bug, Willow spits in her face. It's worth mentioning that Glory is a god.
- When Buffy is in Faith's body in "Who Are You?", a member of the Watcher's Council spec ops team spits in her face, and Buffy starts to understand where Faith's me-against-the-world attitude comes from.
- This is a running gag in Corner Gas: Residents of Dog River all reflexively turn their heads and spit on the ground (or floor) at the mention of their rival, neighboring town of Wullerton.
- Dr. Langston gets a massive blob of phlegm on the side of his face in the episode showing his first day after trying to assure a boy who turned his junkie mother in that he did the right thing.
- In a first Season episode, Brass's estranged daughter deliberately spits on his badge after she was arrested for drug smuggling.
- On CSI: NY, Hawkes gets it from a notorious racist. Mac offers to send someone else with Danny to question the guy, since Hawkes is black, but Hawkes won't be intimidated. The guy spits on him, then makes a remark about there not being a law against spitting on an animal. Hawkes stays calm, but Danny, who always did have a quick temper, punches the guy and gets suspended for it.
- Doctor Who:
- Everybody Loves Raymond: Marie spits at the mention Robert's ex-wife, Joanne.
- On Flavor of Love when Pumkin was eliminated, she famously spit in rival New York's face.
- Game of Thrones:
- Greatjon Umber makes his thoughts on the Succession Crisis clear:
Greatjon Umber: My lords! Here's what I say to these two kings! [spits] Renly Baratheon is nothing to me! Nor Stannis neither!
- In Season 2, a captive Rodrick Cassel spits in Theon Greyjoy's face to show his contempt for Theon choosing his family over his king. Theon is forced to behead him to maintain his men's respect.
- Theon gets spat on in Season 4. Theon is trying to convince his fellow Ironborn to surrender. Their commander who's got Blood from the Mouth spits some in Theon's face to show his contempt for that idea.
- In Season 4, Combat Pragmatist Karl Tanner spits in Jon Snow's face to distract him during their fight. Learning from this, Jon spits blood in the face of Styr of the Thenns while he's on the receiving end of a No-Holds-Barred Beatdown, distracting him enough to grab an Improvised Weapon.
- Greatjon Umber makes his thoughts on the Succession Crisis clear:
- The Golden Girls played it for laughs in an episode where Sophia was mad at Dorothy for something.
Sophia: I spit at your name. I have no daughter named Dorothy. *tries to spit* I have no spit.
- One episode of The A-Team deals with a loan shark that is terrorizing local businesses. An enforcer arrives at Hannibal's funeral and says he's going to spit in his face. As he leaned in to spit, Hannibal opened his eyes, revealed the gun he had hidden and declared, "Aye, sonny. I'm back!"
- Fish Mooney spits at Bob, the Torture Technician sent to 'extract an apology' from her in "Welcome Back, Jim Gordon".
- Barbara spits at the Ogre when he is holding her prisoner in his apartment in "The Anvil or the Hammer".
- Essen spits at Jerome when the Maniax invade the police station in "Knock, Knock".
- Legends of Tomorrow Jonas spits on Vandal Savage after the latter asks him if he's foolish or brave. Considering Jonas is just as kid shows he has some brass just like his father Rip Hunter.
- In Little Britain, Marjorie Dawes spits on Vanessa Feltz.
- The Miami Vice episode "Sons And Lovers": as Angelina is tied up in a explosion-wired car and left to die by her brother, Ivan, he tells her good riddance and spits in her face.
- Murdoch Mysteries: In "Hangman", Fox spits in the hangman's face as he puts the noose round his neck.
- Night Court: In "The Gypsy", an irate medium named Madame Loretta shows her contempt of Judge Harry Stone this way.
Madame Loretta: I spit on your justice! Ptoo!
Judge Harry: You probably should have waited until you were on the subway. That'll be a fifty dollar fine.
Madame Loretta: Ptoo!
Judge Harry: Okay, make it a hundred dollar fine!
Madame Loretta: Ptoo!
Judge Harry: Mac, are you keeping a running tab?
Mac: Yes sir, if she doesn't run out we'll be able to afford that new panelling.
- Parks and Recreation has a gag when the citizens of Pawnee spit when they hear about their rival town Eagleton.
- Pirates, a documentary by David Cohen, depicts how pirates captured Julius Caesar in 78 BC when he was still a young Roman officer and held him for ransom. Their arrogant captive annoys them by insisting on reading them his poetry, causing the pirate captain to spit in contempt. Later Caesar returns with several legions and has them all crucified, announcing that their deaths will be relatively merciful because they didn't torture him. Even though he's strung up on a cross, the pirate captain spits again.
- Servilia was Caesar's mistress, but after he ditched her for political reasons she conspires against him, eventually arranging his assassination. When Servilia turns up to pay her respects to the body, Caesar's wife spits in her face. Twice.
- Eirene is ordered to take food to a bedridden Pullo, despite his having beaten to death her lover. She spits in his food before serving it to him. Pullo feels guilty over his act, so he eats anyway.
- Vorenus isn't happy about having to bribe an overseer to enter a mine where slaves are being worked to death in the heat and dust.
Vorenus: Corrupt scum! (spits)
Pullo: Your spit dries fast here, brother. Best to save it.
- Sex Education: Eric and his bully Adam are in detention together and are supposed to clean one room at school. Adam keeps annoying Eric and then they start wrestling. As Adam holds Eric down, Eric spits at Adam's face. He immediately says sorry but Adam spits back at him. However, their fight turns into kissing...
- Star Hunter has an episode where Claudette Roche spits on a time manipulating criminal.
- Without a Trace. After a fleeing suspect shoves Agent Martin Fitzgerald down a flight of stairs, aggravating an injury he'd only just recovered from, Martin jumps back up, punches his lights out, and caps it off by spitting on him, both angry and in pain.
- The Wire: Michael asks Chris Partlow to kill his stepfather, Devar. Normally Chris carries out hits in a dispassionate manner, killing with a headshot. However, it's implied that Devar has sexually abused Michael, and upon hearing Devar admit to raping other inmates in prison (or at least, that's what Chris takes from it), Chris beats him to a bloody pulp, spitting on the corpse afterwards. This backfires because this provides police with DNA evidence that pins Chris to a murder.
- The third variation starts off Paul Simon's "Me and Julio Down by the Schoolyard."
- In the 1970s IWA, Ernie Ladd, unusually working as a baby face, offered a hand as a sign of good will only for his opponent, Bobby Garcia, to spit on it.
- The Iron Sheik would describe Iran as "Number One!" and the USA as "Hack-ptooey!"
- Bret Hart spat in Vince McMahon's face following the Montreal Screwjob.
- During the finals of the '98 King of the Ring tournament between The Rock and Ken Shamrock, the Rock confronted Triple H, who was providing guest commentary as last year's winner. Leading to Triple H spitting water into the Rock's face.
- During a funeral for Goldberg on Nitro in 2001, Scott Steiner said, "This is what I think of Bill Goldberg", before opening the casket in the ring and spitting in it.
- During Randy Orton's "Legend Killer" gimmick, Mick Foley, who was to face him, decided to quit. When Orton confronted him, Mick refused to fight him. Leading Orton to say to him "You're not a legend. You're a coward" before spitting in his face.
- The basis of Carlito's WWE gimmick was eating apples and spitting on people who he did not think were cool.
- After flooring Gail Kim during a Toryumon Mexico match, Nidia pulled off her shirt after waving to the crowd, then trampled and then spat on it before throwing it to an audience member.
- In AJW, Nanae Takahashi takes a drink from a fan in the crowd and then spits it all over her former tag team partner Ayako Hamada.
- CM Punk claimed this is how diseases get started at ROH's Fifth Year Festival in the UK while watching former Generation Next stablemates Alex Shelley and Roderick Strong spit on each other.
- The Knight Dynasty received a warm welcome when they debuted in SHIMMER but pissed off those same fans so quickly some audience members actually spat at them.
- Spite Christina Von Eerie and she will likely spit on you. After spitting on Kimber Lee in WSU (for her crap in CZW) Von Eerie was then spat on by Lee's tag team partner, Annie Social.
- Mercedes Martinez's response when its made painfully clear to her that Jessicka Havok's death threats were serious and there is nothing she can do about it about except submit? Well, you're on this page so you know she spat!
- Low Ki, upon his return to Ring of Honor, assaulted then champion Samoa Joe and spat on the promotion's World Title belt.
- When Jimmy Jacobs had to put his Mr. Chainsaw Productions World Title on the line against against Tyler Black, Jacobs started his defense by spitting on Black.
- El Generico and Kevin Steen started off this way at Ring of Honor's Final Battle 2010.
- At Money in the Bank 2011, Christian spit in Randy Orton's face, enraging him into kicking Christian in the groin and getting himself disqualified, which was exactly what Christian wanted. During their rematch at Summerslam 2011, Christian decided to spit in a seemingly unconscious Orton's face before hitting him with the Conchairto, but this backfires because the spit woke Orton up and allowed him to dodge the Conchairto.
- At nCw Femme Fatales X, Kellie Skater spat her protein shake in the face of the International Champion Kalamity.
- After Jimmy Jacobs spat water all over ACH, he returned the favor on both Jacobs and his former Adrenaline Rush partner turned Decade Ta'Darius.
- James Storm got into the habit of spitting beer on his adversaries; on a 2014 TNA Impact he even likened spitting beer to an American virtue.
- Act Yasukawa, a heel who never hears herself get booed, once spat the rum she usually brings to the ring on a fan who was chanting at her name. This resulted in more fans chanting her name and lining up to be spat on. In a Pro Wrestling Is Art interview, she described having water spat on her by Miho Wakizawa to be horrible and could not understand why people enjoy it.
- After Monster Tarver answered Rhett Gidden's challenge in FIP by punching him and drawing Blood from the Mouth, Giddens in turn responded by spitting that blood in his face.
- After retreating from the ring, away from a chair wielding Adam Page at Supercard of Honor X, BJ Whitmer spat back upwards into Page's face.
- Cheerleader Melissa set the tone for The Heart Of SHIMMER Championship tournament by spitting on the crumpled form of Leva Bates after advancing into the second round.
- Orlando Colon spat in the face of "The Precious One" Gilbert on the July 20 2019 WWC Superestrellas while Gilbert had him restrained by El Gran Armando and Pedro Portillo III and was starting to take off Orlando's shirt for more skin to cut open after busting open Orlando's forehead with a wine bottle.
- In The Bible: In Deuteronomy 25:5-6, if a woman's husband dies and leaves her without children, and if the husband has an unmarried brother living nearby, then the brother must marry the husband's widow so that the first child he sires through her (ideally a son) will carry on the dead husband's name so that it will not be blotted out in Israel. If the brother decides that he's not going to marry her, verses 7 to 10 says that he must be brought before the elders, and if he declares that he still isn't going to marry her, then the widow may pull off his sandal, spit in his face, and say "So shall it be done to the man who will not build up his brother's house." And from that day on, his house will be called "the house of the unsandaled man."
- The Book of Isaiah in traditional Christian interpretation prophesies that God's Suffering Servant, who is Jesus Christ, would be treated with shameful spitting, as He eventually does at His arrest, trial, and crucifixion.
- In The Merchant of Venice, Shylock notes that Anton would literally spit on him as a way of showing contempt.
- In Richard III, Lady Anne spits at the title character' who murdered her husband and father when he tries to seduce her.
- Timon of Athens: "Would thou wert clean enough to spit upon!"
- Very common in Les Misérables when Fantine has been arrested and Valjean comes to her rescue, she reminds him that he wouldn't listen to her when she worked for him, so he's directly responsible for her plight now. Cue spit. (This also is in the novel.)
- "Master Harold"... and the Boys: At one point, Harold loses his temper and orders Sam to call him "Master Harold" instead of "Hally", then spits in Sam's face.
- Alyx does it to Dr. Breen in Half-Life 2.
- The Golden Ending of Heavy Rain has Laura spitting on Scott's grave after discovering he's the Origami Killer.
- X-Men Origins: Wolverine has the chieftain spitting on William Stryker's face when he refuses to tell him where a rock came from.
- In Wing Commander III, during taunting/questioning by Prince Thrakhath, "Angel" Devereaux spits in his face.
- inFAMOUS 2 would have Nix doing this to Bertrand after he dies as the Behemoth.
- Togainu no Chi; Akira spits at Shiki during one encounter on his route. Shiki is merely amused by his defiance.
- In The Sims Medieval Sims can be spit on during swordfights. This gives them the debuff "Spat On" which has the flavor text "So you think you can blind me and spit in my eye?"
- The Fremen version (see Dune) appears in Emperor: Battle for Dune, but the Fremen in question spits on a table instead of at someone. Gunseng Harkonnen spits his older brother Copec in the face after Copec beat him to usurping their father; Copec immediately responds (sarcastically) that Gunseng apparently has 'gone native' and adopted Fremen customs for his own.
- In Red Alert 1, during a cutscene in the allied campaign, captive allied commando Tanya Adams spits in the face of her Soviet interrogator who responds "I was hoping you'd say that.", wiping the spit from his face with his finger and licking it.
- In Dragon Age II, following the scene when Fenris kills Hadriana, Fenris may spit on the ground when Hawke reminds him he promised to spare her life. In another quest, Isabela spits on the ground when she plays along with being turned over to Velasco as a captive for Castillon.
- In Fallout: New Vegas, one of the Caesar's Legion endings has Boone spit chewing tobacco into the eye of Legate Lanius in front of the entire Legion as a last show of defiance before being crucified.
- The Enforcer enemy from Duke Nukem 3D does this as an attack, causing a brief Interface Screw and green saliva running down the screen if it connects.
- Nero does this to Agnus in Devil May Cry 4 after the latter impaled him on a lance. At that point, though, it's more blood than saliva.
- In Mortal Kombat, Kano is prone to do this a lot, namely in Mortal Kombat 9, when after defeating his opponent in a non-fatality move, his Victory Pose has him spitting on them; and in Mortal Kombat X, when he spits if he has the last word during pre-battle banter.
- In The Walking Dead in season 2 episode 2 Carlos spits on Carver's face who then punches him. Later in episode 5 Arvo spits on the ground when Kenny is mentioned as he's about to run away with Bonnie and Mike.
- In The Walking Dead In Season 3 the player can have Clementine spit on David Garcia, one of the leaders of the New Frontier for taking away A.J. and kicking her out.
- In Grand Theft Auto V Martin Madrazo's mistress spits on Michael after he had Franklin tear down Madrazo's balcony not knowing it really belonged to them and not the guy he was chasing for cheating with his wife.
- In the sequel to Destroy All Humans! in a cutscene, one of the KGB agents spits at the thought of the Americans and the alien they're after.
- In Grand Theft Auto: Vice City Stories Victor Vance spits on Martinez after killing him for screwing him over this whole time (starting with getting him kicked out of the army).
- In Saints Row 2 After Gat brings a Ronin in who was snooping around Saints turf in the mission "Road Rage" the protagonist asks him what he was doing. He spits in his/her face in which Gat responds "That wasn't very nice." and proceeds to bash him into the coffee table. After further interrogation methods fail Gat pulls out a pistol and finishes him off. The protagonist proceeds to spit on him in return.
- In Red Dead Redemption John Marston often does this to villains he defeats such as Vicente de Santa.
- People that challenge you to a duel often do this if you're close enough.
- If John kills Javier Escuella instead of capturing him, he will spit on Javier's lifeless body. But he's shown wiping his eyes as if he's crying, implying that he's genuinely regretful having to kill him.
- In Red Dead Redemption 2, if Arthur Morgan went with John in Low Honor mode, then Micah Bell manages to spit on the former's corpse after shooting him dead.
- A flashback in Yakuza 4 reveals that Goro Majima spit in the face of the man beating him, and then refused to apologize, resulting in the loss of his eye.
- In The Last of Us Part II Yara spits in the face of Emily, a Seraphite interrogating her. She then gets her arm broken with a hammer by the others as a result!
- In Battlefield 1 As Zara is taunted by Tilkici as he's getting ready to kill her she spits in his face, grabs his knife, and then stabs him in the throat. She then cuts her legs free from the rope he tied her with.
- In Rise of the Tomb Raider, Lara spits on Ana's face after she mocks Lara for trying to follow in her father's footsteps. Ana's brother Konstantin doesn't take it well.
- In Call of Duty: Modern Warfare (2019) the player can have Farah do this repeatedly to Barkov when he's interrogating her.
- In God of War (PS4), the Witch of the Woods revives Mimir's head. After confirming that the ritual worked and Mimir can speak and understand her...she spits in his face. This is because the Witch, aka Freya, has not forgiven Mimir for arranging her disastrous marriage with Odin.
- Occurs a few times in Drowtales:
- Mel'arnach does this to her mother Quain'tana after her guards restrain her from outright attacking when Quain turns her back.
- A Kyorl'solenurn soldier spits at the feet of Tir'ade and Abyte, who are former members of their clan who were exiled for being tainted. Since the two of them belong to another powerful clan an outright assault is out of the question, but it gets the point across.
- Jen of Cake Wrecks writes out spitting sounds - "Ptui" etc - at the mere mention of the dreaded CCC, or Cup-Cake Cake. (A cupcake cake, for those unfamiliar, is a set of cupcakes glued to a cake board with icing, while still in their wrappers, and covered with a two-inch-thick layer of icing in order to pretend that they're actually a single large cake.)
- SF Debris: This is Chuck Sonnenberg's reaction to the words "Prime Directive" after "Dear Doctor". In-universe, Archer of Star Trek: Enterprise was such a disappointment to the Federation that future Starfleet captains spit at the mere mention of him.
Picard: His name tastes heinous!
- CollegeHumor: A parody of the Pixar logo animation has the X do this to the Lamp after he has been electrocuted for killing the I.
- Mollymauk's "last words" in Critical Role consisted of spitting blood in their killer's face. Their murderer shows legitmate respect for that.
- The Simpsons:
- When Monty Burns is presumed dead, great leaders of peace gather to spit in his grave. They actually have to stop and suck out the pond of spit so they can continue.
- In "Bart the Murderer", Bart's actions are depicted in "Blood on the Blackboard: The Bart Simpson Story". In the TV movie "Skinner" (played by Richard Chamberlain) spits on "Bart" (played by Neil Patrick Harris!), who says that wasn't smart as he fires a gun.
- Discussed in "Behind The Laughter", with Lisa admits that she was out of her element with her fame:
"I had no business hosting the Oscars. At the end of the ceremony, Meryl Streep spat on me."
- In the Looney Tunes "Duck Soup to Nuts", Daffy plays on hunter Porky's sympathies by asking to say goodbye to his family. As if on cue, a group of sobbing ducks shuffles in - it was on cue, as they're Daffy's hired cronies. The little one at the end stops and gives a guilty-looking Porky a contemptuous lookover, then spits at his feet.
- In the first episode of Batman Beyond, Nelson Nash spits on Terry's face after the other insults him during a wrestling match. Terry punches him, causing him to get in trouble and get grounded by his father.
- Family Guy:
- Spoofed during an argument with Lois when Peter gets ready to do this, but then he tells her to hold on because he needs more time to build up the mucus.
- An earlier episode has Meg demonstrate her bird whistle. Big Bird from Sesame Street responds to the call, but Meg explains that she wasn't calling for anyone in particular. She laughs at the occurrence and Big Bird follows that with this.
Big Bird: You make me puke, (spits) bitch.
- A squirrel does this to Brian right after he got run over by a car in "Life of Brian".
- In Archer, Malory spits on the corpse of the Italian Prime Minister after shooting him in her apartment.
- In the Justice League episode "War World", Draaga visits the gladiators in the dungeon and mocks them all, saying none of them are true warriors, then spits in Superman's face. Superman takes it in stride, then breaks his chains as soon as Draaga leaves. The other prisoners are surprised that he didn't angrily break the chains earlier and attack Draaga after his disrespect.
- In a segment of Robot Chicken, a giant Joey Fatone gets into a battle with a music celebrity-composed monster form of Britney Spears. When Britney gets the upper hand on Fatone, she spits on him when he's down.
- In the South Park episode "You Have 0 Friends", a random guy does this to Stan because Stan ignored his friend request on Facebook. Stan didn't even know the guy. Stan also gets spit on by several people during his banishment ceremony in "Douche and Turd".
- In American Dad!, Roger befriends an elderly woman, but suddenly realizes she's an enormous racist when she spits on the Lincoln Memorial while cursing him for ending slavery.
- In 6teen Julie will do this to the tacos she serves to rude customers.
- Quickstrike does this in Beast Wars when threatening Silverbolt. Note that Quickstrike doesn't have a mouth on the head that he talks with and which actually made the spitting gesture.
- The ancient Greek philosopher Diogenes was once invited to a rich man's house who told him not to spit on the ground, since there were expensive carpets and such everywhere. Diogenes spat in the man's face and said that he couldn't find another place. Yes, Diogenes was quite a punk.
- In Israel and Jewish culture, as well as Muslim and Arabic-speaking countries, and Eastern Asia, spitting at someone is considered a highly insulting gesture and one of the worst taboos to be committed.
- In Romania and Moldova, the former habit of gently spitting in the face of younger people was a sign of admiration to avoid accidentally cursing them; this is no longer widely practiced due to being unhygienic.
- In northern India, mothers would lightly spit at their children to imply a sense of lighthearted disparagement and imperfection to protect their children from the evil eye and keep them humble, because excessive admiration could have the reverse effect of attracting the evil eye. This practice is declining due to health concerns, and a small mark of kohl or kajal is occasionally placed on the forehead or cheek to ward off the evil eye.
- Employees in some public-facing roles, such as staff on the The London Underground, have access to "spit kits", which can collect the DNA if a customer spits on them, to aid prosecution for assault.