Jessica was "born" to be an actress in adult cartoons. She didn't have any other meaning in life except to look attractive and have sex on camera. Due to being a Toon, Jessica had no rights and this resulted in a lot of humans abusing her and taking her for granted. Other Toons also looked down upon her for being a "selfish" toon. Jessica was eventually forced into prostituting on the streets. One night, she was rescued from an attack by Roger Rabbit as he passed by. That was the moment her life changed for the better.
Lost Cause is a dark, mature oneshot dealing with Jessica Rabbit's backstory. It tells of Jessica's life from her birth to her falling for her future husband Roger.
This fanfic provides examples of:
- Bloodless Carnage: Jessica can be beaten up but she won't even bruise. Toons can't bleed.
- Dark and Troubled Past: Jessica was born into the sex industry. There she was raped, beaten, forced into prostitution, and shoved from owner-to-owner like cattle. That all changed when she met Roger.
- Dark Fic: Jessica wasn't just a cartoon sex-symbol. She was outright created for pornographic cartoons. Jessica didn't have the mental capacity to consent upon her "birth", so her life starts with sexual abuse, but Toons have no rights so it's all legal.
- Downer Beginning: The fic begins with a non-graphic rape and doesn't get much better until the end.
- Emergent Human: Played for Drama. Jessica couldn't even talk properly until over a week after she was created. Yet, she's still made to have sex on camera nevertheless. Jessica's naivety is also abused by men who end up raping her.
- Fantastic Racism: On top of the racism against Toons from humans, Toons themselves have a hierarchy. Jessica is at the bottom because she's very human-like for a Toon. Other Toons deem her selfish for being involved in the sex business, instead of making people laugh like is expected of a Toon.
- Hooker with a Heart of Gold: Jessica was forced into prostitution after she stopped being used in films. She's always been sweet, but humans have always taken advantage of her nice nature.
- The Needless: Toons don't need to eat or even breathe.
- Stepford Smiler: Jessica notes that most Toons aren't truly happy. They live as second-class citizens with no rights:That was when she realized that Toons didn't have any rights or much of anything really, just a town where they could pretend, for a little while, that they were happy.
- Rescue Romance: Roger and Jessica meet when Roger rescues Jessica from a violent john.
- What Measure Is a Non-Human?: It doesn't matter if Jessica doesn't, or even can't, consent to anything that's done for her. She's a Toon—her literal reason for existing is to be a sex symbol and serve humans. Jessica is lucky enough to have not been "killed" after one week. Jessica herself is also stuck in some weird middle ground where she's in-between Toon and human, but both look down upon her with disdain.