Denji is a loser that will do literally anything for money. After his father committed suicide, he is left with an enormous debt to the local Yakuza and resorts to desperate measures to earn money. Together with his pet demon, Pochita, he spends his days taking odd jobs and hunting down troublesome demons. Having sold several body parts to survive, he scrounges by while dreaming of living a better life.
Unfortunately for him, his loan sharks have double-crossed him and struck a better deal with a devil. Hacked to pieces and thrown away with the trash, Denji's life seems over....
Revived when Pochita merges with his body, Denji becomes a demonic creature with chainsaws growing from his arms. He slaughters the devils that killed him, and is discovered by the professional Devil Hunters that have come to investigate. A mysterious woman named Makima offers him a choice: be slain as a devil, or become her pet and work for her hunting other devils.
Denji's adventures begin.
Chainsaw Man is an ongoing 2018 Shonen Jump manga written by Tatsuki Fujimoto, author of Fire Punch (which published in Shonen Jump +). It was launched in December 2018 along with other newcomers, Ne0;lation and Hell Warden Higuma, and was the only survivor.
The manga has been officially translated with a simultaneous Japanese and English release here.
Chainsaw-Man contains examples of:
- Action Girl: Power lives up to her name, easily dispatching a devil in a single blow. Makima has yet to demonstrate her prowess, but the simple fact that her mere disapproval renders Power a whimpering mess is very telling.
- A-Cup Angst: Power, judging by her need to use breast pads.
- Alternate History: Most noticeable with devils running around but the fact the Soviet Union still exists shows that there are major differences between the Earth where the story takes place and our Earth.
- Bloody Murder: Power was a blood demon before becoming a Fiend, and is able to use her host body's blood to create weapons.
- Body Horror: Devils tend to cause this, either through maiming their victims or through modifying bodies they possess. When transformed, Denji becomes a monster with chainsaws growing out of his forearms and head.
- Chivalrous Pervert: Denji enjoys porn magazines and decides his new goal in life will be to touch boobs. However, he makes a point of wanting permission before doing it and has a soft spot for people in trouble.
- Cruel and Unusual Death: Denji was killed by the Yakuza, who betrayed him by chopping his body into pieces and throwing them into a trashbin.
- Cute Monster Girl: Power is a Fiend, with sharp fangs and devil horns. She happens to be occupying a very cute body and has a soft spot for cats.
- Darker and Edgier: This manga is considered to be one of the darkest manga in Jump's history due to the brutal and bloody first chapter, with its seemingly out of place violence. The Downer Beginning of the series starts with Denji's father committing suicide due to the huge debt that he has to pay and Denji ending up getting betrayed by the Yakuza who gave Denji said debt to begin with by chopping off all of his body parts.
- Deal with the Devil: Some people are able to make deals with other demons in order to gain more power. Two examples are Denji making a blood pact with Pochita to get a second chance to live and the Yakuza who made a blood pact with a demon that turned him into a hideous demonic creature.
- Demonic Possession: Devils can take over a variety of things, including people and objects. Fiends are devils that have taken over a human corpse, making the body their own in the process.
- Demon Slaying: Much like its predecessor, Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba and Jujutsu Kaisen, this is the premise of the manga. Denji starts off as a demon slayer to pay off his debts, but ends up being taken in by an official organization.
- Downer Beginning: The story starts off with Denji's father committing suicide due to the huge debt that he had from the Yakuza. Denji tries to work as a demon hunter to pay off said debt, only for it to be revealed that said Yakuza head made a pact with a demon. He chops Denji into pieces and throws his body into the trash bin.
- The Dreaded: The Gun Devil. It successfully annihilated over a million of humans across the planet in a span of five minutes.
- Extreme Omnivore: Denji's poor background means he's used to eating anything, including moldy bread, orange peels, and scabs.
- Fusion Dance: After Denji's body is chopped up by the Yakuza, Pochita ended up fusing himself with Denji in order to give him a second chance to live, which results in Denji becoming a humanoid chainsaw-like monster.
- Groin Attack: Denji repeatedly kicks Hayakawa in the balls during their alleyway brawl, claiming this is the only way he knows how to fight.
- Guys Are Slobs: Subverted. Aki is as neat and orderly as expected of the Straight Man, while Denji is quickly made to look downright civilized in comparison to Power. She throws food she doesn't like and rarely bathes or flushes the toilet. Aki and Denji are quickly united in their horror.
- Half-Human Hybrid: Denji becomes one as a result of merging with Pochita, retaining his humanity while gaining demon powers.
- Hidden Depths: Denji is a lot more intelligent and perceptive than he seems. For example, he catches on that he may be losing his humanity due to being a hybrid early on, though he brushes it off to make himself feel better.
- Horned Humanoid: Power has horns, a sign of her true nature as a Fiend.
- Kindhearted Cat Lover: Despite her hatred of humans, Power has a soft side with cats. She became a Demon Slayer to track down a rival demon that stole her pet cat.
- The Lad-ette: Power turns out to be one, making Denji look downright high class in comparison. She's primarily just incredibly gross, with little concern for human manners or hygiene.
- Medical Horror: In the opening moments of the series, Denji goes over how much money he'd gotten for selling his right eye, a kidney, and one of his testicles.
- Mon: Pochita looks like an adorable chainsaw-like puppy. He is the only demon who is truly loyal to Denji, and fuses himself to Denji in order to give him a second chance to live.
- The Pig Pen: Power doesn't like to flush or bathe.
- Possessing a Dead Body: Fiends like Power are the result of a Devil taking up residence in a human corpse.
- Starter Villain: Denji's boss, the loan shark Yakuza who made a pact with a demon, is the first villain that Denji faces before joining the Demon Slayer Organization.
- Victory Is Boring: After he defeats the bat demon, Power makes good on her deal to let Denji touch her breasts. But after all of the buildup, he finds the experience underwhelming.
- Wham Shot: Makima getting shot in the head in chapter 22.
- Chapter 26: She survived, and put holes through the guys that tried to kill her
- Yakuza: Denji's former boss is a Yakuza who gave Denji an enormous debt, which resulted in Denji becoming a demon slayer.
- Youkai: Like the beings of Japanese mythology, Devils come in an incredible variety and are often related to mundane things — tomatoes, sea cucumbers, and even things like blood or muscles.