In media, characters frequently have a Strong Family Resemblance to other members of their family, often down to a Hereditary Hairstyle but sometimes creators go for a more subtle hint of relation. Since Eyes Never Lie, what better thing to do that than by giving the whole family very distinctive peepers?
Frequently, people who knew the parent in question will remark that the character has their mother's/father's eyes. In some cases, people can figure out who the family is from their eyes alone! Oddly, this occurs as often (if not more so) with common eye colors as it does with Technicolor Eyes; this is usually justified by the eyes exhibiting some kind of expression or intensity that the parent shared.
- In Angel Crush, The female members of the Oak family all have closed eyes. This trait also gives them Magical Eyes with varying powers.
- Bakuten Shoot Beyblade has the Saint Seals, who are from a clan which members are solely shown to have bright green eyes. Zigzagged with the Bái Hǔ Zú, who in the third season all have Supernatural Gold Eyes, but not in any other medium.
- In Black Butler, Ciel has his mother Rachel's blue eyes. It's mentioned occasionally how much Ciel looks like his mother (even by his father).
- Cardcaptor Sakura:
- Sakura has the same green eyes as her deceased mother, Nadeshiko.
- Tomoyo has the same purple eyes as her mother, Sonomi.
- In The Cat Returns, Prince Lune's heterochromia is the only clue that he's the son of the Cat King.
- Sera Masumi from Detective Conan has the same eye shape as her brother Shuichi Akai. The mysterious girl whom Sera lives with also have similar eyes, leading to many speculation about her identity, and how she relates to the Akai family. It turns out the mysterious girl is Sera and Shuichi's mother, Mary, who was shrunk with drugs like Shiho/Ai and Shinichi/Conan.
- In Fate/Zero, when Illya is born, Irisviel comments to Kiritsugu that she has his eyes... which is not true to the viewers, because Illya is the spitting image of her mother and has no resemblance to her father.
- Fullmetal Alchemist:
- Ed and Alphonse (when his soul's not stuck in an armor) have their father Hohenheim's eyes. It's eventually revealed that it is a mark of Hohenheim being ethnically Xerxian; i.e., belonging to a lost civilization.
- When Armstrong is introducing his tiny little sister, who claims that she has the same eyes he does. It's the ONLY thing she has in common with him, appearance wise.
- In Harukana Receive, cousins Haruka and Kanata's eyes are precisely the same colour despite their vastly different physical appearances.
- In Himouto! Umaru-chan, Tachibana Sylphinford and Alex are both drawn with flower shaped pupils when they get excited. They were later revealed to be siblings.
- In Jewelpet Kira Deco!, the Kira Deco 5 team mostly consists of characters whose Curtains Match the Window, except for Midori who has red eyes, that don't match his green hair, to show he's brother to Retsu, who has red hair and eyes.
- Lyrical Nanoha:
- In Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha ViVid, it is showcased that Vivio and Einhart have a Shared Unusual Trait with their respective ancestors, their heterochromia. While Einhart is one of many "reincarnations" of the Supreme King Claus G.S. Ingvalt, Vivio is the clone of Sankt Kaiser Olivie Sägebrecht.
- In the DVD Commentary of Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha The Movie 1st, Teana mentions that old friends of her deceased parents told her that she resembles her mother, the eye color being one of the many resemblances.
- My Hero Academia: While it wasn't fully confirmed until Chapter 290, it was heavily foreshadowed that Dabi was related to the Todoroki family, one of the reasons being that his eyes had the same icy blue tone as those of his father, Endeavor. Lo and behold, it turns out that Dabi is Endeavor's eldest son Touya, who had been presumed dead by the family.
- Played for Drama in My Next Life as a Villainess: All Routes Lead to Doom!. Catarina's adoptive brother Keith has nearly identical eyes to their father since he's actually a distant relative. This led their mother (who wasn't aware of Keith's parentage) to mistake him for being her husband's bastard child, and led to both the deterioration of their marriage and her verbally abusing Keith alongside Catarina in the original timeline, with the duke not even bothering to clean up the misunderstanding. Fortunately in the series' timeline, that misunderstanding has been cleared up.
- The page image features Neji and Hinata, two prominent members of the Hyuga clan, who all have large pupil-less white eyesnote , which are depicted as pale lavender in the anime.
- Boruto and Himawari, the son and daughter of Naruto and Hinata, have the same Innocent Blue Eyes as their father, although Himawari takes on her mother's eyes when her Byakugan is activated, and Boruto originally had his mother's eyes in the canon movie The Last before it was changed to blue.
- Shikadai, the son of Shikamaru and Temari, has the same teal eyes as his mother.
- Inojin, the son of Sai and Ino, has the same blue-green eyes as his mother.
- Chocho, the daughter of Choji and Karui, has the same yellow eyes as her mother.
- All Uchiha have the same black eyes.
- In Sailor Moon SuperS, Queen Nehelenia is terrified by Usagi/Sailor Moon's sad eyes because Queen Serenity had the same sad eyes when the latter sealed the evil queen.
- Dragon Ryuhou from Saint Seiya Omega was once said by Libra Genbu to have the same honest eyes as his father Shiryu.
- There's the star-pupilled people in the world of Soul Eater. For the duration of the main franchise, there was only one group, the Star Clan, which were all wiped out for being murderers except for the then-newborn Black☆Star. Come Soul Eater Not! and it turns out the clan has related lineages. The one made explicit is the Hoshi Family, which the Star Clan is an off-shoot of.note The other, the Hoshino Family, is only but heavily implied due to the name "Hoshino" and the presence of star-shaped pupils. Each branch has its own take on how the star pupils manifest (permanent or controllable, one eye or both eyes, pupils or only irises, etc.), but regardless, it's a sign of membership.
- Savvy viewers of Star Driver will notice how the main character Takuto and his grandfather are the only characters with an additional ring around their irises. Of course, the only other character with this trait turns out to be Takuto's father.
- In Toradora!, Ryuuji inherited his Yakuza father's scary-looking eyes, much to his chagrin.
- Wotakoi: Love is Hard for Otaku: Since Naoya dyed his hair blonde, his resemblance to his brother Hirotaka is largely in their similarly-drawn blue eyes.
- In Yu Yu Hakusho Hiei and Yukina both have crimson (blood red) eyes and their mother, Hina, doesn't.
- Batwoman has a Long-Lost Relative Reveal heralded by the words "You have our father's eyes". Said by the villain Alice, who is actually Batwoman's twin sister.
- In the New 52 book Worlds' Finest #6, Damian Wayne meets his half-sister Helena Wayne, daughter of Earth-2 Batman. They start suspecting they're related upon noticing both of them have their father's eyes.
Helena: You have his eyes though...
Damian: Strange... So do you...
- Robin Series: Tim inherited his blue eyes from his mother, which only Jack really takes note of and is part of his excuse for locking himself away from his son while he's grieving his dead wife.
- X-23's eyes were made green to establish her Strong Family Resemblance to her creator/mother, Sarah Kinney, even though Laura doesn't actually possess any of Sarah's genetic material.
- In the Blueswap AU, Steven has blue eyes that signify him as Blue Diamond's son.
- Bringing Me To Life has Max Jameson, who shares his dark-brown eyes with his mom, Annie.
- Child of the Storm:
- Harry who, as per canon, has his mother's eyes. These become more significant when it is revealed that Jean Grey is his second cousin and she shares the famous eyes. Then, a third person turns up, also with those eyes... Maddie Pryor, a.k.a. Rachel Grey, Jean's stolen at birth twin sister.
- Ironically, just about the only feature Hermione didn't get from her mother Wanda was her eyes.
- In a retroactively observed case, Carol Danvers is noted to have her great-grandpa Steve's cornflower blue eyes once the relationship is revealed, along with his hair and build. This isn't entirely surprising, since blue eyes aren't that uncommon (while it's implied to be quite a specific shade of blue, the commonality of blue eyes means that no one's looking).
- In The Death God Alliance, demigod children inherit their divine parent's eyes - such as Athena's having grey eyes, Poseidon's green eyes, etc.
- In the Deliver Us from Evil Series, Mycroft and Sherlock Holmes inherited their gray eyes from their mother.
- A Dovahkiin Spreads His Wings hints at Jon Whitewolf inheriting the dark indigo eyes of his biological father Rhaegar Targaryen, which is potentially bad since he's trying to keep his lineage a secret. Fortunately, his dark hair helps the colour to pass as bog-standard black.
- In Field Of Innocence, Iroh mentions that Lu Ten has the golden eyes of his Missing Mom, Kei Rin.
- The Wham Line at the end of Fire and Shadow reveals that Firefang and Mistyfoot had a son named Bluepaw, who has his dad's eyes.
- Flame's Shade is a RWBY fic where Ruby and Yang become the guardians of their half-sister after Yang's estranged biological mother dies. The baby, Ace, has red eyes like her mother Raven.
- Cassandra from Frostbitten Flower has her deceased father Jack's brown eyes. It's a mixed-blessing to Celia. On one hand, it reminds her of Jack, but it also reminds her of the pain of losing Jack only a few months into their marriage.
- The Heart Trilogy: The only physical trait the attractive witch Andraya shares with her demure daughter Freyja is the ice blue eye color.
- In Offspring, Mira has Mipha's hazel eyes while her sister Neolani has Link's blue eyes (albeit more clouded due to being blind).
- In Old West, the glossy snake Grace Glossy's son Teddy looks nearly identical to his gopher snake father, except that he has his mother's brown eyes.
- In The Ollivander Children, every member of the Ollivander family has silvery gray eyes.
- Morgan is told this in The Return after he is transformed into a Succubus: Her new body has her mother's eyes.
- In Pokémon Reset Bloodlines, a number of characters are shown to have red eyes, inherited from their shared father. Said father is none other than a criminal from Orre, who fathered hundreds of bastard children, including none other than Ash Ketchum, who doesn't have red eyes, but shares many other traits with several of them.
- A sidestory has Red encountering Kalos Elite Four member Siebold, who is noted to have very similar eyes to the Sensational Sisters. The main story had previously established that Siebold is their cousin in this continuity.
- The Pride That Never Was:
- Chaka has Nala's eyes while his sister Shani has their father Simba's eyes.
- Kovu shares Scar's green eyes.
- It's mentioned that Shetani gets her blue eyes from her maternal grandmother.
- TRON: Endgame Scenario: Mercury asks Lora-Ma3a how she knew Jet would be willing to fight for the Programs instead of trying to take over like the other invading Users, Lora-Ma3a takes off her mask. Mercury puts it together quickly, given the Strong Family Resemblance, remarking that Jet's "male render" obscures it somewhat, but the eyes were the strongest giveaway.
- In the Jackie Chan Adventures fic The Ultimate Evil, Shendu first suspects that Valerie Payne is a descendant of Lo Pei because she has the crystal blue eyes of Pei's daughter Lo Mei. This is all but confirmed later, though otherwise Valerie looks nothing like Mei. The Living Statue of Lo Pei also believes Valerie to be a magically disguised Mei due to having his beloved daughter's eyes.
- The sequel called The Stronger Evil provides a rare example that doesn't include eye color: according to Shendu, his future son Drago's eyes are shaped exactly like those of his mother Valerie.
- In Warriors: The Power of Three (Rewrite/AU), Jayfeather gets his blue eyes from Mothwing. When Mothwing meets him for the first time, she notices they both have the same eyes, though Jayfeather himself doesn't know that Mothwing is anything other than an aunt he's never met.
- In Zelda and the Manacle of Cahla, a big hint that Zelda and Link are siblings is the distinct turquoise colournote of their eyes. Zelda scolds herself for not realizing until after the ghost of their father tells them the truth.
- Anastasia: When Dimitri and Vladimir first notice Anya's "resemblance" to Anastasia, they note that her blue eyes are "the Romanov eyes."
- Frozen: The Queen of Arendelle has the same eyes as Elsa as she appears now.
- Ice Age: Collision Course: According to Gavin, his son Roger. has his mother's eyes (and that it's the only thing keeping him from being completely useless).
- At the beginning of Robots parodies this, acknowledging that Rodney was created with some leftover parts.
"He's got your mother's eyes and my dad's nose."
- Tangled: Both Rapunzel and her birth mother have the exact, same eye design and color.
- Subverted in Addams Family Values.
Gomez: He has my father's eyes.
Morticia: Gomez, take those out of his mouth.
- In Fright Night (2011), the vampire tells a certain character, "You have your mother's eyes... and your father's aim." That's not a compliment.
- Hot Shots!. People often tell Topper Harley that he has his father's eyes. Actually, he does. Literally. He keeps them in a little velvet case and all.
- In Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, when Indy meets Dr. Elsa Schneider:
Elsa: Dr. Jones?
Elsa: I knew it was you. You have your father's eyes.
Indy: And my mother's ears. But the rest belong to you.
Elsa: (smiling) Looks like the best parts have already been spoken for...
- Repo! The Genetic Opera. Blind Mag tells Shilo that she has her mother's eyes.
- Rosemary's Baby. One character says of the title spawn of the Devil that "He has his father's eyes".
- In Super Mario Bros., the evil Koopa lady says this about Princess Daisy.
- In What a Girl Wants, it's mentioned in dialogue that Daphne has Henry's eyes. The actors have different eye colors and no one bothered to give one of them contact lenses or something.
- In House of Cards (1993), it's noted that Sally has her dead father's eyes.
- In A Brother's Price, all the princesses whose eye colour we are told have green eyes. (There are ten of them). Likewise, the Whistler family tends to have blue eyes.
- In the Deryni works by Katherine Kurtz, the Haldanes (legitimate and otherwise) are depicted with gray eyes. In cases of illegitimate relatives, the eyes visibly establish kinship.
- Parodied in Discworld with the Igors, who are known for grafting still-usable body parts from dead relatives into their bodies; when an Igor is said to have his uncle's eyes, it's meant to be taken literally.
- In Divergent, Marcus and his son Four/Tobias have the same eyes.
- In one of Mercedes Lackey's Dragon Jousters novels, one character is able to identify the hero as the long lost son of her friend because his eyes looked so much like hers.
- Harry Potter:
- Harry is often told he has his mother's eyes, so often that he can finish the phrase himself.
- Harry's second son is mentioned in the epilogue as the only one of his three children to have inherited the green eyes.
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 uses this for Snape's Famous Last Words: "You have your mother's eyes..."
- In the last book Harry catches a glimpse of a familiar pair of blue eyes in the shards of Sirius's mirror. He thinks it's Dumbledore somehow talking to him from the afterlife and asks for help but he finds out later that they were actually his brother Aberforth's.
- The Hunger Games: Katniss' and Peeta's daughter has his eyes while their son has her eyes.
- In the Hurog duology, members of the family often have a distinct, blue-violet colour Ward refers to as "Hurog-blue". Both of his siblings, as well as his cousins and Oreg, the family ghost, and distant relative, have them. Ward's own eyes are brown, but apparently the blue eyes go back to the ancestor who built the castle. And who was half-dragon. That's likely the reason for the unusual colour.
- In The Princes of the Air, members of the royal family have a distinctive eye color.
- In Red Dragon, the killer, in addition to a cleft palate that had a bad effect on his life, happens to be in possession of yellow eyes. When he briefly runs into his mother at a funeral, the narration briefly alludes to her eyes being yellow as well.
- In the 13th century Saga of the Volsungs, all the Volsungs have unusually bright, piercing eyes.
- In The Secret Garden, Colin has the same agate gray eyes as his Missing Mom Lilias. This is why his father, who still deeply mourns his dead wife, can only bear to look at him when he's asleep.
- It is often pointed out that all members of the Heap family in Septimus Heap share green eyes.
- In the Sherlock Holmes Canon, both Holmes brothers are said to have keen gray eyes (the only resemblance Watson can see between the two).
- All Mesopotamia Blues in Varjak Paw have green eyes. Varjak is All of the Other Reindeer because he has brown eyes. It turns out that Jalal, the original Mesopotamia Blue, also had brown eyes.
- In Wuthering Heights, the only resemblance Catherine Linton has to her mother (Catherine Earnshaw) is her dark brown eyes. Her cousin and eventual husband Hareton has the same eyes too.
- In Warrior Cats, some characters have the same eyes as their parents. For instance, in the A Vision of Shadows arc, Violetshine and Twigbranch have their parents' eyes: Twigbranch has their mother's eyes, while Violetshine has their father's.
- At the conclusion of the Colleen McCullough novel The Touch, Nell Kinross notices that even though her niece Dolly adores both of her infant twin aunt and uncle (see Tangled Family Tree for clarification), she's especially fond of the boy, because he and her real mother (the mentally retarded Anna, who couldn't care for her) have the same eyes and despite her young age, something in her recalls that.
- Batwoman (2019). After Batwoman saves Alice from drowning, Alice leaves a message for her twin sister Kate Kane; a baby bat with a card saying; "You have our father's eyes" to let Kate know she's worked out her Secret Identity.
- A Blackout Sketch on The Benny Hill Show: A vicar is looking at a couple's new baby.
Vicar: He has your husband's nose.
Wife: Yes. But he has his father's eyes.
- Game of Thrones: As in the books, both Roose and Ramsay have noticeably pale blue eyes that enhance the menacing stares they put on whenever they start to physically or psychologically torment people. Hell, they even do the same creepy half-closed eyelids blinking.
- An interesting version in Kamen Rider Double's movie that also works as Foreshadowing. Daidou Katsumi has the same eyes as his mother but only when they're transformed into Kamen Rider Eternal and the Cyclone Dopant.
- Once Upon a Time:
- Emma, her son Henry, and her mother Snow White all have hazel eyes.
- Red Riding Hood, her mother, and grandmother all have green eyes.
- In the The Phantom of the Opera Mini Series, Erik tells Gerard that he's known he's his father all along, as they have the same eyes.
- On Sisters, after the women learn that they have a half-sister, one of the first things they notice is that she has their father's eyes (she's the result of his affair). Their mother notices too and is rattled.
- Sliders: In the Christmas Episode, Wade encounters doubles of her father (Don) and sister (Kelly), but they don't know who she is; on this world, her mother (Liz) died in child birth and Wade's double died along with her. Wade ends up spending time with Don, anyway, and he at one point comments on the qualities that Kelly shares with Liz.
Don: Even you remind me of her.
Wade: It's my eyes. People always tell me that my eyes look just like—I can see the resemblance in the picture.
- In Smallville, General Zod comments that Clark Kent has Jor-El's eyes.
- In the Supernatural episode "All Hell Breaks Loose, Part Two" (S02, Ep22), Jake's eyes flash a golden color like the Yellow-Eyed Demon, indicating Jake is now under the demon's control and is one of his children.
- Played With in Star Trek: Deep Space Nine. Ezri is the current host for the Dax symbiont and not a blood relative of her predecessor Jadzia at all, but Bashir (in his clumsy way) comments that the eyes are strangely similar.
- The Queen song 39 has the line: "Your mother's eyes from your eyes cry to me."
- Static in Stereo's "Ariana Incomplete":
Her daddys habits and her mamas eyesBut she never feels beautiful until shes high
- The Bavarian patriotic folk song "Weiß-Blau" ("White-Blue", i.e. the colours of the Bavarian flag) describes King Ludwig II ("unser Ludwig") as having "proud sky-blue eyes" and claims that such eyes are hereditary to all members of the House of Wittelsbach.
- In Die Walküre, Hunding notices the resemblance of his wife Sieglinde's eyes to Siegmund's. This observation, and the Leitmotif quietly underscoring it, is the first clue they're related to each other and to Wotan.
- This is the subject of the song "Lily's Eyes" in the theatrical version of The Secret Garden, where Archibald and Neville Craven notice that Mary, the niece of their mutual Lost Lenore Lily, has the same hazel eyes as her aunt. This is a change from the novel, where Lilias's eyes were gray and her son Colin is the one who has them.
- Brütal Legend. If you fail the stage battle against the Tainted Coil at the end:
Doviculous: You have your mother's eyes. And soon, so shall I. On a necklace, I think.
- In Dark Cloud the chief of Muska Lacka tells Toan that he is the son of Aga. The character's shocked reaction lets the player know that this is true and that he wonders how she knows. She goes on to say that Aga had those same beautiful green eyes.
- In Final Fantasy V, Lenna's green eyes are a visual clue to her and Faris' blood-sibling relation.
- Fire Emblem:
- In Fire Emblem: The Blazing Blade, Wallace decides to believe Lyn's claim of being his lord Hausen's granddaughter because he can tell from her eyes. Eliwood also notes that her eyes resemble Hausen's.
- In Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn, it turns out that Soren's eyes are the same color as his mother's (Almedha), uncles' (Rajaion and Kurthnaga), and maternal grandfather's (King Deghinsea).
- In Fire Emblem Awakening, if Inigo is Chrom's son, he proves his heroic lineage by showing him that he has the Mark of Naga in his eye... like his older sister Lucina, who has it there by default.
- In Gears of War, according to the Expanded Universe novels, the entire Fenix family is said to have Icy Blue Eyes. Adam had to take down all the portraits of his ancestors hanging in the Fenix mansion because they were too creepy even for him.
- Golden Sun: Dark Dawn: Briggs recognizes Matthew because he "has Jenna's eyes", when Matthew clearly has his father's eyes.
- Hades: If Zagreus gains enough affection with Thanatos, he will comment during a conversation that Zagreus shares one of his differently colored eyes with his mother.
- In Injustice 2, Superman notes that his cousin Supergirl has his same blue eyes.
- Off: A more depressing example.
The Queen: Look... He has your eyes...
The Batter: They are full of fear.
- In Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box, Katia looks almost identical to her grandmother Sophia, except for having her grandfather Anton's eyes. It's significant since getting a good look at her eyes helps Anton realize she's not actually Sophia.
- In Rune Factory 3, Zaid's silver eyes are his pride and joy because the people of his clan were well known for having silver eyes.
- In Star Stealing Prince, Snowe's told he has his mother's eyes (although this is not considered a positive thing by the people who notice).
- Story of Seasons:
- Brothers Rick and Popuri share the same brown eyes in Story of Seasons: Friends of Mineral Town.
- Harris mentions that his child with Maria has his eyes.
- In Summon Night: Swordcraft Story one of the Craftlords claims he can recognize Pratty (or Cleru for the strange people that play for something OTHER than lesbians) has the same eyes as her father Shintetsu, though this is after he notices Shintetsu's Guardian Beast is with her.
- In Tales of Xillia 2, Ludger has unique teal eyes with a gold ring in the iris. His half-brother has the same eyes. So do Bisley Bakur and Elle Marta. Bisley turns out to be Ludger and Julius's archnemesis father while Elle is Ludger's daughter from a fractured dimension.
- Morgan from Heart of the Woods has bright green eyes like Evelyn, and combined with them both being redheads, Maddie is able to tell they're mother and daughter the moment she sees Evelyn. In addition to this, when Morgan first gets a good look at Abigail, she notes in a brief line that her green eyes reminds her of Morgan's. Sure enough, Abigail turns out to be Morgan's distant ancestor.
- It's not commented on in the narration, but in Drowtales it eventually becomes obvious that while purple eyes run in the Sarghress family Ariel's particular type come from her father, Zhor, which becomes even more apparent after he gets restored to a humanoid body, as shown here.
- Also runs in the Sullisin'rune clan, with the heterochromia of Ash'waren's line being particularly well known in-universe, something Faen comments on when she meets Pup Ariel's younger half-brother whose father was a Sullisin'rune. Ariel's older sister Laele'aelle was said to have had these as well before her "accident" as a mark of her father being another, unknown member of the clan.
- Gunnerkrigg Court: One astute reader realized that Anthony was Annie's father when they noticed that she had his eyes.
- In The Order of the Stick, Durkon claims he can tell that Julia is Roy's sister because they have similar eyes. This is odd as Roy has the semi-unique feature (his Palette Swap Thog, every member of the identical Azure City Army and a few nameless characters share it) that the eye farther from the camera is the bigger one, which Julia lacks.
- In Schlock Mercenary, both Tagon and his father both have Conjoined Eyes. A flashback shows that his brothers, sisters, and paternal grandfather all shared the same eyes.
- In Sparkling Generation Valkyrie Yuuki, Freya and Yuuki are the only ones with their exact shade of blue eyes. On its own, probably not worth mentioning, but combined with Yuuki noticing that he's "seen those eyes before" (in the mirror) and his Missing Mom, it's widely believed Freya is his mother.
- In the final episode of Season 10 of Red vs. Blue, we find out that the Director's eyes are green, just like his daughter Carolina.
- RWBY: In the pilot episode, when Ruby first meets Professor Ozpin, the first thing he does is lean in to look closely at her face and say "you... have silver eyes", a comment she doesn't know what to make of. In Volume 3, her uncle Qrow is discussing his academy days at Professor Ozpin's school with her and her half-sister, Yang; he pulls out a photograph of the team he was in, which includes Raven (his twin sister and Yang's mother), Summer (Ruby's mother), and Taiyang (the father of both Ruby and Yang). In the picture, half of Summer's face is hidden by a white hood, but the one eye that is visible reveals that her eyes were identical to Ruby's. At the end of Volume 3, Ruby learns that silver eyes are an incredibly rare trait; any person born with silver eyes is born with a talent for fighting the Creatures of Grimm that threaten humanity's existence, and a magical power that allows them to strike the Grimm dead with a single look. Ruby finds out that she inherited these abilities from her silver-eyed mother and that Professor Ozpin is one of the very few people in the world who knows the secret of the silver eyes.
- Phantom Girl from Legion of Super-Heroes has gray eyes just like her mother's.
- Averted in Star Wars Rebels. Jacen's eye color doesn't come from either of his parents, but somehow, he has the same eye color as Dume (Kanan's Force-ghost-wolf-thing form). Apparently, this was an animation error, as he's supposed to have Kanan's eye color, which makes sense given what happened to Kanan's eyes.
- What tipped off Tangled: The Series fans that Eugene is King Edmund's son was this trope.
- Ben Tennyson inherited his bright green eyes from his mother, Sandra
- Subverted with his cousin Gwen. Though she also has green eyes, they are a different shade - hers are bright green, while Ben's are murky and brownish.
- Gwen is herself a subversion of this trope - neither of her parents have green eyes, nor do either of the two grandparents that she shares with Ben. While it is not technically impossible for the child of one brown-eyed and one blue-eyed parent to have green eyes, it is extemely unlikely. Her eye color is likely a recessive trait from her maternal grandparents.
- This in turn makes the fact that the two cousins share an eye color yet another subversion of this trope, as it is a complete coincidence that their brown-eyed fathers (who are brothers) both happened to marry women carrying the gene for green eyes.
- During the X-Men adaptation of The Dark Phoenix Saga, Jean Grey learns that Corsair is Cyclops' father, though she keeps this to herself. In a later scene, Corsair talks to Cyclops about being from Earth and what he left behind.
Corsair: Do you have any children?
Corsair: I wouldn't know mine now if I saw them, except I remember my oldest boy. He had his mother's eyes.